20 Million Chickens Free To Go

The USDA has lifted the quarantine on the 20 million chickens they detained on Friday that may have eaten tainted pet food in their feed. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said that “testing found that the contaminant, the industrial chemical melamine, was so diluted that any human exposure from the meat or eggs of the animals would be thousands of times lower than the level considered safe.” So, now these chickens will be released into our food supply.

This is in stark contrast to the announcement by the FDA and USDA earlier today about the need to still investigate the chickens for a week.

(Thanks Monika)

116 Responses to “20 Million Chickens Free To Go”

1. JanC says:

You know I’m impressed…..I really can see into the future. I predicted yesterday that all those melachickens would be released due to the dilution factor. I should work for the FDA…..oh please.

Hold onto your hats, folks, the melachickens are here & ready for your dinner table. Next to be released are the melahogs…..trust me.

2. danielle says:

YUM!

3. PetSentinel says:

That story’s information was copied from Reuters. According to the FDA press release today the chickens are “free to go.” The assessment continues and a decision made within a week. So, either the FDA doesn’t know what the USDA is saying, Reuters got it wrong (which it easily could have…don’t assume any media story is true) or the USDA has decided to act independently which I’m not sure it can.

4. PetSentinel says:

I meant to say “the chickens are NOT, repeat NOT free to go,” according to the FDA.

meat OR EGGS???????

6. Sylvia says:

Why is he talking to the “Organic Trade Association” here? Does that mean these were organically raised? I was hoping to avoid the melamine by buy buying organics.
    “We literally found that the dilution is so minute, in fact in some cases you can’t even test and find melamine any more in that product,” Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said during comments to the Organic Trade Association.

Ok how about if we get together and start a list of safe completely US organic farms from wh people can order their meat and eggs?

What has happened to Nikki of Howl911???

9. Sylvia says:

Yipes!!!
    “Organic Trade Association (OTA) is a membership-based business association that focuses on the organic business community in North America. OTA’s mission is to promote and protect the growth of organic trade to benefit the environment, farmers, the public and the economy.”

I just ate organic chicken last night and have been buying organic eggs hoping they were out of the melamine loop!!! Great.

10. PetSentinel says:

OK… pieced together from three very poorly written press releases and two newspaper articles it DOES look like the chickens are ready for processing.
    I swear they all go out of their way to make it as confusing as possible.
    A friend once told me that government regulations were always written so they could be interpreted at least two different ways so that the gov’t could use the interpretation that served their purpose the best.

11. Katie says:

I would like to say “freeing the birds” surprises me, but it doesn’t. Money, Money, Money. Profit, Profit, Profit!! and if you get kidney stones or have diseased kidneys already and you need lots of treatment - hey big profits for the medical industry. Money makes the world go round.

And, if we die sooner than our expected life span - well they won’t need so much money for medicare and social security - sure the gov’t has lots of places to spend it!

And, Organic - no less! there isn’t anything safe now…

Katie

12. Eric says:

How could chickens being fed processed, salvaged pet food possibly be labeled as organic? That makes no sense! Then again, neither does allowing toxic chickens into the food supply. There are third world countries with safer food than the mighty USA. How sad is that?

13. Garyn says:

Ok then, here we go.

Bell and Evans Chicken. http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=home

This is what they say on their site:

QUESTIONS ABOUT MELAMINE? On Wednesday April 25, 2007, it came to national attention that a potentially harmful substance, melamine, was found in feed given to hogs and chickens in several states. Melamine is a chemical that is normally used in pesticides and resins. According to one theory, melamine may have been added to wheat protein to increase the total amount of nitrogen in wheat protein so that the protein level of wheat protein appears to be higher than it really is. It was found in a pet food ingredient, imported from China, that was subsequently used in the production of bakery by-product meal and then as a feed ingredient in animal feeds. We at Bell & Evans never use bakery by-products or by-products period! Rest assured that our feed is rigorously tested to insure all Bell & Evans chickens are fed a strict diet of corn, extruded and expeller pressed soybeans, vitamins & minerals. If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact our Quality Assurance department at quality@bellandevans.com or 717-865-6626.
    The Excellent Chicken and more!

But it’s not all about chicken. Our other fine products include Bell & Evans Ducks, Cornish Game Hens and Turkey products. At the holidays we offer Whole Turkeys - the same producer of Bell & Evans turkeys has been the White House choice for holiday dinners for more than 30 years. Our turkeys are all-natural and bred to grow slower, produce an extremely broad breast (up to 20% more breast meat) with a moist, tender and flavorful taste.
    1. Our Pledge to You
    Our chickens eat better so you eat better.

All Vegetable Diet
    Raised Without Antibiotics
    No Animal By-Products
    No Growth Hormones
    No Hexane Gas
    No Preservatives
    No Artificial Flavorings
    No Fillers or Extenders
    No Hydrogenated Oils

According to their partners link Newman’s Own pet food uses these chickens.

So, if the melachickens and melahogs are being processed now:

We don’t eat fresh chicken or pork other than those whose makers swear in writing they are not effected by this melamine until 2008, just to be safe. No frozen or canned chicken or pork until 2017. No pet food with chicken or pork until 2010 if it is a premium one year shelf life brand, and 2017 for all others. No hot dogs, sausage or bacon under any circumstances.

What fools. Do they think we have no options at all.

14. CathyA says:

All I can say is the FDA must do SCIENTIFIC work really really fast. Below is from their May 1 press conference.

“One of the reasons we believe that this (effect) is very low on humans is due to the dilution effect insomuch that the hog feed is only made up of - to a small degree (off) of the contaminated pet food.
    Further the melamine is excreted in the - from a hog in urine. It is not known to bioaccumulate in the animals.
    And then finally, even if it were in the muscle tissue to some low extent, pork is not consumed to a high degree in the human diet; unlike pets which may be eating food exclusively. The pet same type of food exclusively.
    To further evaluate all of this in terms of the harm to humans and furthering our information about the levels, FDA and USDA are working collaboratively to develop a series of new assays focused on being able to measure melamine and melamine-related compounds in muscle tissues such as that from hog and from poultry. That will give us a better sense as to what the levels actually are.”

Hello? FDA? I guess you could call statistics science, but I call it math. Risk assessment is not a hard science. So how many of those chickens and pigs had meat samples analyzed? Huh?

I think it was the same press conference that talked about the total number of chickens in US consumed annually. 20 mil is significant and these chickens are going to be in the grocery stores for a while. I’m off to buy chicken and eggs before they hit.

15. Sylvia says:

Here’s the link to the Organic Trade Association if anyone wants to check into it. I’m just feeling too queazy about the whole thing right now.

16. ally says:

Wow. Just wow.

Thank Yahvo I have some frozen chicken left in the freezer. Although once it’s gone, my dogs are going to be so bummed not to have fresh chicken for a long, long time.

17. Ruth says:

Even before this mess of chickens and hogs I’ve always wondered how safe is buying organic food. Is it truly safe and worth paying the hefty prices?
    And by this I don’t mean to insult organic growers or producers of products who are truly trying to do good but I just can’t help but think is it Really Safe.

Now there is more doubt than ever about what’s safe. I have lost total trust for the food industry. Wondering each time I eat something thinking “Is it safe?”… That’s no way to live. It’s sucks……. Thanks…FDA, USDA you make us feel so safe….

Thanks Garyn for getting us started w the Bell & Evans info! Keep it going!

19. Jen says:

SURRRRRRE, yeah I’ll keep that in mind while I continue to stay FAR away from meat :)

20. Jen says:

Ruth- “That’s no way to live. It’s sucks……. Thanks…FDA, USDA you make us feel so safe…”

That’s exactly why we put up a shirt on our homepage that says “FDA… we make FEMA look good” :)

21. AnimalBlawg -- Quarantined chickens now in food supply says:

[…] More on pet food recall and related issues at itchmo. […]

22. zenelvis says:

that’s not melamine in your omlet….those are flavor crystals.

Here are the releases from USDA website:

Scientists Conclude Very Low Risk to Humans from Food Containing Melamine

MELAMINE AND ANALOGUES SAFETY/RISK ASSESSMENT

Mengele-mine. mmmmmmm.

25. elizabeth says:

I thought we all learned over the past weeks that labels mean absolutely nothing. So, why is it we are surprised that “organic” does not mean what we thought it did?

so Dr Mengele of the FDA could you tell us what portion of the unassessed amount of mengelemine ends up in the SHELLS of the chicken?

some of us use eggshell powder in homemade petfood.

i mean eggshells of the poison chicken.

28. TC says:

I was trying to take a mental health day off from this, lol. And just had to peak in to see if there was anything new. Reminds of a Three Stooges episode.

As to the Organic Trade Association, it cements the deal. We are on our own. I don’t care what the label says or doesn’t say, or who “endorses” what, or which hour of which day the FDA gives the all clear, or the USDA’s pitful attempts at job security promising me the moon with NAIS.

Whatever these other groups, organizations, govt. agencies or my great Aunt Minnie says will from now on be merely “advisory” to me. I will it take under consideration. I won’t take it as a guarantee that someone actually DID the job I thought they were hired to do. Or trust what is said without seeing if I can verify it myself. I will reject out of hand anything that just doesn’t make sense, I am not even going to TRY to make sense of nonsense anymore.

I can’t go organic with certainty. I WILL be slaughtering one of the cows, minimum, but while some were born here, others were not. Hmmmm…did they come with pre-existing mad cow? Who knows. I will plant my garden, but no, I don’t know if the seeds have been genetically modified. I need hay for the horses, but just read an article in the local ag-rag - yes, a Federal judge put a stop to Monsanto’s alfalfa seed that came pre-genetically loaded with pesticide. But oops, some seed already got planted, and gets to be harvested. Pesticide laced alfalfa, done genetically. Alfalfa is fed to horses, in other feed products, and I think I saw some at one point listed as an ingredient for either a cat or dog dry food.

Close barn door…but horse is already out. This is just too huge for my head right now. And btw, what the heck was the EPA doing checking out chickens? I don’t feel comfort that the guys in charge of hazardous waste and Super Fund sites were invited to bring their expertise to the party on this one.

P.S. Yes, my freezer has a LOT of chicken in it. Pork too. What to do, what to do - should I toss it, and then just find out I am replacing with more of the same tainted stuff?

29. Ann H says:

There are NO numbers in that FDA/USDA release. I wonder if the reporters just filled in the blanks.

I just wrote one reporter who is Poultry editor asking if she saw those numbers in the release or did she need to publish an errata.

30. Cynthia says:

Melamine-spiking “widespread” in China; human food broadly contaminated

NO WAY FDA! I an still not convinced. I just bought a case of organic chicken.

Epidemic Is Killing Pigs in Southeastern China

HONG KONG, May 7 — A mysterious epidemic is killing pigs in southeastern China, but international and Hong Kong authorities said today that the Chinese government is providing little information about it, or about the contaminated wheat gluten that has caused deaths and illnesses in other animals.

Hong Kong television broadcasts and newspapers were full of lurid accounts today of pigs staggering around with blood pouring from their bodies in Gaoyao and neighboring Yunfu, both in Guangdong Province. The Apple Daily newspaper said that as many as 80 percent of the pigs in the area had died, that panicky farmers were selling ailing animals at deep discounts and that pig carcasses were floating in a river.

The reports in Hong Kong said the disease began killing pigs after the Chinese New Year celebrations in February, and is now spreading. But state-controlled news outlets in China have reported almost nothing about the pig deaths, and very little about the wheat gluten problem.

Medical experts said that the extent of the bleeding from the pigs, including reports of bloody skin lesions, did not sound like the usual symptoms of bird flu, but added that the pig deaths nonetheless needed to be investigated.

Melamine?

I wrote to Foster Farms, this is their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact our Foster Farms Consumer
    Affairs Department. Following is a statement from Foster Farms which
    addresses your concerns.

Sincerely,

Vickie Medeiros
    Consumer Affairs Representative

FOSTER FARMS’ STATEMENT REGARDING POULTRY FEED
    May 2, 2007

LIVINGSTON, Calif. - Foster Farms is committed to producing the safest,
    most wholesome, highest quality and delicious poultry and poultry
    products. Based on recent media coverage about animal feed containing
    tainted products from China, our company has received numerous questions
    from concerned consumers.

Foster Farms would like to reassure our customers and consumers that our
    poultry products are not in any way affected by these events. Foster
    Farms poultry feed does not contain any wheat gluten, corn gluten nor
    any concentrated rice. Furthermore, Foster Farms does not import any
    protein ingredients from China for its poultry feed.

Foster Farms chickens are fed a highly-nutritious, balanced diet
    composed mostly of corn and soy meal, with added vitamins and minerals.
    Consumers can also be assured that Foster Farms does not use Roxarsone
    or any feed additives containing arsenic.

Founded by Max and Verda in 1939, Foster Farms remains family owned and
    operated to this day. The company has stayed committed to providing the
    highest quality fresh, locally grown chicken to consumers in the West.
    Foster Farms branded fresh chicken is always locally grown on farms it
    owns or operates in each of its markets (California, Oregon and
    Washington). Chickens are raised in large poultry barns with enough
    space for the birds to move about freely. Foster Farms specializes in
    producing high quality fresh chicken products that are all natural with
    no preservatives or sodium-based additives, in addition to a full line
    of other delicious poultry products. The company produces and delivers
    premium quality poultry products to retailers, warehouse clubs and
    foodservice customers throughout the West.

33. bw says:

Good heavens! I was so happy to find a grain free dry cat food, Innova EVO.
    And now since the main ingredients are chicken and chicken meal……
    WHAT TO DO NOW??? Can’t feed the real chicken! Heaven knows what is in that. Should I be afraid to feed the chicken and chicken meal in the dry food??!! The “dilution effect” totally absurd as it is, surely wouldn’t work on the sensitive systems of cats.
    SOOO what in the world CAN I FEED MY CATS??!

Is there NO way we can find out which companies are getting the Melechickens??? So that we can avoid them??
    I know that is a naive questions, but I am desperate. If it doesn’t have grain, what should we look for in our cat food??…… I give up totally.

34. Cynthia says:

It really doesn’t surprise me knowing what they already allow in animal feed…

Union of Concerned Scientists
    The Reality of Feed at Animal Factories

35. Ali says:

So the melamine was so low in some chickens it couldn’t even be found…meaning that in most chickens it was quite easy to test for.

No chicken for me.

My dogs eat turkey from Zacky Farms along with some beef. No chicken…one has always hated it. Maybe he is psychic?

I have trouble finding Bell & Evans chicken here so I’ll be looking for a decent product or going chickenless.

I too am disappointed in the organic chickens. Have you all seen the photos of the melamine contaminated feeds? It looks pretty obvious to me.

36. Mark says:

I can believe that melamine wouldn’t make it into the muscle meat of chicken, i.e. what goes into the human food supply. But I certainly wouldn’t want to eat a kidney from one of these melamine-fed chicken. And my guess is that alot of what gets called chicken meal, chicken giblets, chicken, chicken-by-products in pet food is actually ground up organ meat.

I’m not familiar with “organic” brands of chicken. Are these the “large growers” as reported by the Washington Post on Saturday, or has the “organic” angle been added in an attempt (by some) to trivialize the story?

From Saturday’s Washington Post:

The 20 million live chickens being held were being raised for “large, brand-name growers,” USDA spokesman Keith Williams said. “These are names you would know.”

I’m confused. Can someone please expalin this??????

38. Ali says:

Does anyone know where all these poisoned pigs and chickens are?

We have a lot of local stuff here and I’m wondering if the feed didn’t get this far.

canned salmon. wild. not fed grain.

40. 4lgdfriend says:

Mark said: I certainly wouldn’t want to eat a kidney from one of these melamine-fed chicken. And my guess is that alot of what gets called chicken meal, chicken giblets, chicken, chicken-by-products in pet food is actually ground up organ meat.

Right and meal would be more concentrated as well as produced under high heat.

41. lacy says:

Bw
    One good thing about Innova is that Natura is testing for melamine as a routine test before food gets out. So Hopefully they would catch it if it was contaminated and not send it out.. HOPEFULLY.. Im using california natural, so Im praying so.

Does anyone know about the turkey baby food? As a snack I have been giving Gerber Turkey and Broth, and Beechnut Turkey and broth. Now Im worried. Is turkey affected too?

And I just ordered Evangers Organic Turkey… GRR

ok, so are the chicken that is on the shelves now safe?

Is it safe to go buy a bunch and freeze and and then not for say 6 months?

The FDA needs to be fed and served these chickens on a silver platter. I’d like to see those Dumb A**** eat them.

43. ally says:

bw Says: at 4:55 pm

“Good heavens! I was so happy to find a grain free dry cat food…
    And now since the main ingredients are chicken and chicken meal……
    WHAT TO DO NOW??? Can’t feed the real chicken! Heaven knows what is in that.”

bw, oh how I know exactly how you feel!

I’m in the same boat with my dog’s food which is chicken based & I WAS adding home cooked chicken as well. Cripes on a hockey puck. And one more thing….. if I read or hear the FDA’ s mornonic catch phrase “dilution effect” one more time, I swear I’m going to go stark raving POSTAL!!!

44. TC says:

How about the eggs? Safe or not - any guesses? I would think it would be as iffy to eat as livers, etc.

45. 4lgdfriend says:

http://tinyurl.com/389mb7 sustainable table blog:
    “The big picture is that Macdonalds used the cheapest wheat gluten to coat their french fries for many years…and JR Simplot used GMO potatoes and grows and coats potatoes in China…….see the big picture now? “

from Cynthia’s link: more info there..
    \You can:
    Avoid factory farmed animal products altogether by choosing plant-based foods.
    Choose grass-fed and grass-finished beef and dairy products and pasture-raised pork, poultry, and egg products.
    Select certified organic meats, eggs, and dairy and those clearly labeled as using only vegetarian animal feed.
    Purchase meats, eggs, and dairy products from local farmers on the farm, at farmers markets, or by buying a share from a local farmer as part of a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program.

47. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

I buy Eberly Chicken. It tastes so much better that factory farmed chicken. There really is a big difference! I love their products and so do my cats.

You can call them for locations … http://www.eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

48. Garyn says:

The mela pet food may have gone into bakery by product fed to chickens from way back in the fall of 2006 when Menu started making the food with the poison. Think about all the glop and salvage product over all those months of time. Where did that all go. We don’t hear about that from the FDA. So who knows if the chickens out there at this minute have this stuff in them right now. I hope not. When this first happened I switched to raw and fed chicken livers. Oh God help me. I fed lots of livers. And now I am using a dehydrated base to which I add fresh meat and the first ingredient is alfalfa. Thanks TC for that GM info. So since March, my cat is dead and my dog has eaten many mela livers (and chickens) and pesticide alfalfa. I am almost losing it at this point.

49. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

I buy Eberly Chicken. It tastes so much better that factory farmed chicken. ALSO BETTER THAN BELL & EVANS which is factory farmed! There really is a big difference! I love their products and so do my cats.

You can call them for locations … http://www.eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

Eberly Poultry is free-range raised on small Amish and Mennonite family farms in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. The family tradition of raising poultry nature’s way makes a world of difference in the flavor of our chicken.

The “poultry” is usually grown and processed with commercial production methods. Meaning, sometimes production is geared towards volume at the expense of the finished products overall taste. Also, in order to attain high volume, machinery is used to process chickens. Eberly’s poultry is hand processed with a low volume environment this enhances the quality taste of our birds. In our world of poultry raising, it is a balanced blend of family farm tradition and advanced development of both poultry breeds and organically grown feed grains. Our poultry breeds are selected because they grown better naturally.

Eberly Poultry Organic Free-Range Chickens and Turkeys are U.S.D.A. inspected and certified organically grown by the Northeast Organic Farmers Association and Pennsylvania Certified Organic.

Then we give them what they need most to grown into plump, young, naturally flavorful birds:

A true free-range environment, where they get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and room to exercise. Studies show that foraging; free-range poultry produces healthier, meatier birds with more muscle and less fat.
    Improved organically grown grains that are naturally high in protein and nutrients. Our feed grains are resistant to disease and grown with organic farming methods, like crop rotation, that prevent disease. Since we are organic, we use modified grain in our feed. The soils are enriched only with organic fertilizers and humus.
    Pure, mineral-rich water clean enough for our farm families to drink themselves. Chlorine and fluoride aren’t needed.
    Time to mature. Eberly poultry is allowed to grow to full potential for the highest quality flavor and meat firmness. That’s nature’s timing!
    Eberly Poultry never uses growth stimulants, antibiotics or animal by products in our organic feed. Our poultry is fed only wholesome organic feeds and given fresh water. So feel confident when buying an Eberly chicken you are buying “Poultry as Nature Intended.”

ORGANICS CERTIFICATION
    To reassure our customers of Eberly Poultry’s overall commitment to organic, The Northeast Organic Farmers Association and Pennsylvania Certified Organic have certified us as an organic poultry producer. These two organizations review our overall growing and production procedures, extensively.

As a poultry grower, N.O.F.A. and P.C.O. visit each of our farms to assure our chickens are being organically fed and humanely treated. Each chicken house is thoroughly inspected to guarantee each bird is getting 1 1/2 square feed of space to deter overcrowding and risk of spreading disease.

P.C.O. and N.O.F.A. also inspect the Eberly Poultry plant. The plant is inspected for cleanliness and safety procedures during the processing. P.C.O., N.O.F.A. and the USDA insure a safe and clean processing environment through each step of processing.

Finally, P.C.O. and N.O.F.A. require us to maintain an audit trail of each flock’s growth from chick to retail store. This assures our chickens and turkeys were organically certified from hatchery through processing. Thus, ensuring our customers will enjoy the freshest free-range organic chicken or turkey with absolute confidence it is certified organic.

50. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

You can call them for locations … eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

ORGANICS CERTIFICATION

51. susanUnPC says:

So much for the recent opinions that food safety should be monitored by the USDA. I just knew that wouldn’t be good since the USDA is as much in bed with big business as is the FDA.

This decision to release the 20 million chickens is all about money.

QUESTION for all of you: Has there been any advocacy for conducting testing to determine if melamine, etc., even in minute quantities, is harmful to humans over a period of time?

52. TC says:

We were running the same numbers game here - what if we ate the freezer chicken, and got more now before the 20 mill hits the market.

And when we do eat it, make sure the chicken is the smallest part of our dinner, in case dilution is an end run around later permanent kidney damage. And no more than X times per week, pick your favorite guesstimate of a safety margin on that.

And realize that no matter what we do, we have NO way of knowing for certain what the odds are, and whether or not we are beating them.

53. susanUnPC says:

TC, a fellow at Daily Kos wrote a well-researched article about eggs:

“The ominous silence about eggs from gluten-fed chickens”

54. susanUnPC says:

You’ll recall that there were chickens given melamine-tainted grain and slaughtered and sold in supermarkets in February … so they’re already in our food supply.

And I’d be willing to make a stout wager that chickens have been fed adulterated grain for probably years and years, so anyone who eats commercial, factory-farm-raised chicken has already been exposed.

Cynthia,

Thanks for the Eberly chicken info. I’ll check it out.

56. Gerry says:

How can they say that the levels of melamine in the chicken is lower than what they consider safe when they dont know what the safe level is! I called Foster Farm and left a message to call me back and by George they called me back. They do claim that their chicken is safe from the melamine. I dont know who to trust so I dont know why I asked!

So who will the farmers sell this toxic to? Safeway?

On December 2, 2004, Johanns was nominated by President George W. Bush to replace outgoing Secretary of Agriculture Ann Venema.

Figures

59. TC says:

Garyn - sorry to be the messenger re the alfalfa. Not that I have any clue as to exactly how much is out there already. I would hope that it was just planted - as I recall, an alfalfa stand takes sometime to be established when first seeded. If that is correct, and no one used those seeds until recently, then roundup ready plants haven’t been harvested or processed into anything. But like the tainted chickens, no, there is no way to ever be certain. How can I tell for sure for my horses? Yes, I can ask. No, I may not get the truth. And further - what if the courts just say no to these Monsanto seeds? Somebody tell that to the birds that might transfer seeds from the roundup ready alfalfa already planted to god knows where. This is NOT just an issue for alfalfa crops - it is much bigger.

This weekly paper is The Capital Press, and some days I dread reading it. I am not always happy about the direction of agriculture today.

60. Eric says:

Anyone know anything about MBA Brand Smart Chicken?

61. Cynthia says:

Bell & Evans is factory farmed, just check their web site. They really try to make it sound so wonderful, but fact is these chickens never are allowed out of their “chicken condos” as they like to call it. Good grief!

We keep our chickens comfortable at all times, in more than 150 spacious and environmentally-controlled houses. Unlike other growers, we don’t subject our chickens to the stresses of overcrowding or to wide variations in temperature. For example, our newest chicken house features windows that open and close automatically. The system provides year-round fresh air and climate control, and it lets our chickens bask in the warm light of the sun.

Wow, they get fresh air because they have windows!

Buy Eberlys. It’s a much healthier, bird.

62. TC says:

SusanUnPC - thanks for that article and that site, am settling down to read it. You are likely correct re how long melamine has been in the food supply.

Lately it isn’t even the melamine giving me the biggest headache; it is whatever else is potentially in the food supply that has all the various agencies freaking out and trying to get their stories straight.

63. ally says:

susanUnPC Says: at 5:40 pm
    “QUESTION …Has there been any advocacy for conducting testing to determine if melamine, etc., even in minute quantities, is harmful to humans over a period of time?”

Susan, that’s exactly what I’d like to know. As I mentioned earlier at PC, I can’t believe they are using data from rat studies to base their “assumption” the melamine toxicity levels found in the chickens are safe:

“DR. ACHESON: Clearly there are no melamine-toxicity studies that have been undertaken in humans that we are aware of. The studies that we are working from are studies that have been done in rats…”

How do we REALLY know it is safe for humans?

Humans vary considerably in size, health and age. What are going to be the cumulative effects on children, frail elderly or people like myself with a compromised immune system? Think the rat studies will cover this? Say WHAT?

64. Donna says:

So I finally concocted a homemade food my cats really like, and since it’s main ingredient is chicken, I guess I’m back to square 1. Because we won’t be buying any chicken in my house for a while.

65. Marilyn says:

Just saw this on ConsumerAffairs.com.

Former FDA Chief Says Agency is “Broken”

“May 7, 2007
    Another food safety expert is questioning the Food and Drug Administration’s ability to provide safeguards for the nation’s food supply. This time the criticism is coming from the man who used to head the agency, Dr. David Kessler.

“Simply put, our food safety system is broken,” Kessler told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

My own opinion is that Dr. Kessler is absolutely correct.

66. Carol says:

My freezer is so full of poisoned cat food—-now I have to find room for all my chicken–I’ll cook it if the FDA takes me up on my dinner invite!

67. Carol says:

Both my father in law and sister in law are kidney transplant recipients so I hope for their sake the FDA is 100% accurate—

68. flyinaspiderwebnowayout says:

imported feed has been coming into the country for a long time.

It is used to feed everything…..cattle, pigs, chickens, fish and our pets, oh and us….take a look at some of the products available.

So if you think chicken and pork is the only affected meat…….I’d bet otherwise. This has been going on for years.

The page is not the same as it was several weeks ago, wherein they listed the animals that benefit and grow strong and fast from their feed.

Check out the mixed preservative mix, familiar?…………….

There is no law that says a company must divulge the source of their ingredients…..that has been discussed.

We have no choice, we will never know……..it so sucks.

69. ally says:

I HOPE somebody has the cajones to ask one of the FDA mucky-mucks at their next press conference to eat live and ON CAMERA, a combo plate of all this so-called SAFE mela-food.

Oh what I wouldn’t give to be a fly on the wall…….

70. spocko says:

I can’t tell you how much this depresses me.

The USDA doesn’t have the same goals as the FDA.
    The also are supposed to support the industry. They cut a deal with ConAgra to make sure that ConAgra didn’t have to name the names of the companies that bought contaminated meat. This happened after an e.coli outbreak. When you hear that info is proprietary that is based on the deal that USDA cut with ConAgra. (This is from John Staubers book, MadCowUSA)

Well we know how this works right? When they have a conclusion they want the “facts are being fixed around the policy.”

I’m sure that this is all for the good of our health. Thanks for looking out for us!

71. Me says:

People, please stop!!!!!!!!!!!! You are out of control. This is nothing new, what about Mad cow disease? This sort of thing has been going on for years, there will always be something. Now you all can do one of two things.

1. Grow your old vegetables and raise your own foul & beef or,
    2. Eat what’s available for you to buy and enjoy life…

Eric,

Smart Chicken has a website:

I sent them an email about their chicken feed.

73. kristy says:

Thank God I am a vegetarian! No more chicken for my living babies. I am going to have to give the the Canidae Lamb and Rice formula.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

75. Bridget says:

Just hypothetically, say that they are right that humans wouldn’t be harmed, **BUT** these same chickens will make their way in to the PET FOOD SUPPLY and I want to know what pets’ reactions to this will be. Humans are bigger than pets so maybe humans can handle this poison better, but pets are small and I am really angry.

Further, I DO NOT believe the FDA that this poison is ok for me to eat anyway! I am disgusted and SCARED.

76. Bridget says:

Further, I never have trusted the FDA or the USDA. Not when they said aspartame was safe, not when they said that MSG was safe, not when they said certain drugs were safe only to recall them later. Why the heck would I trust them now about a known POISON?

If I eat any chicken I will have to buy the expensive stuff from the health food store; they carry Amish chicken and I’m assuming the Amish don’t feed their chickens cat/dog food. But jsut in case I’ll ask since I pretty much don’t trust anything at all.

Must have been some hefty incentives and “bonuses” changing hands since this morning to “perform” as expected.

78. Pit Bull Lover says:

“Mengele-mine…” That’s hilarious, Anonymous (whoever you are)!

-PBL

*Though it’s not really funny at all.

79. Donna says:

I think Rosa DeLauro, and Dick Durbin are the only ones in Washington who are doing anything. Below, their new food safety bill.

***********************

For Immediate Release

May 1, 2007

Contact: Sandra Abrevaya (Durbin), 202-224-7115
    Adriana Surfas (DeLauro), 202-225-3661

[ WASHINGTON , DC ] – U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) today introduced legislation that will revise and upgrade the nation’s food safety system. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), one of the federal agencies charged with safeguarding the U.S. food supply, has come under fire recently in the wake of nationwide recalls and/or quarantines of tainted pork, spinach, peanut butter and pet food.

Durbin and DeLauro’s legislation would give the FDA the power to order mandatory recalls of adulterated food products, establish an early warning and notification system for human food, as well as pet food, and establish fines for companies that don’t promptly report contaminated products.

“The product recalls that we have seen in the past few weeks – first with pet food and then with food intended for human consumption – have shown us that food-borne illness is a dangerous and real threat in this country,” Durbin said. “There are gaps in the inspection, monitoring, notification and enforcement elements of our food system and we must act now to address them. We simply cannot afford to let consumers continue to be the guinea pigs in our food safety system.”

“After the countless recalls, alerts and advisories from the past year, along with the latest CDC numbers showing increases in various food-borne illnesses, the evidence is clear our food safety system is collapsing and one of the main agencies charged with protecting it, is asleep,” stated DeLauro. “This needs to change immediately – it is time to transform the FDA from the toothless agency it has become to one that takes the proactive steps necessary to protect our food supply and the public health.”

Durbin and DeLauro said that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that as many as 76 million people suffer from food poisoning each year. Of those individuals, approximately 325,000 will be hospitalized, and more than 5,000 will die. With emerging pathogens, a population at high risk for food-borne illnesses and an increasing volume of food imports, this situation is unlikely to improve without decisive action.

Some of the new responsibilities given to the FDA under Durbin and DeLauro’s new legislation include:

Providing the FDA the authority for mandatory recalls of contaminated or dangerous food. The FDA currently has no authority to order food recalls, but must rely on the industry to voluntarily pull products from store shelves.
    Establishing an early warning and notification system for human food as well as pet food products. The legislation directs the FDA to work with professional organizations, veterinarians, and others to disseminate information about pet food contamination and in cases of both pet and human food, to keep up to date, comprehensive, searchable recall lists on their website.
    Establishing uniform federal standards and better labeling of pet food. The guidances and practices that today govern the pet food industry are implemented on a voluntary basis by manufacturers and state departments of agriculture. However, there is no requirement for states to adopt these practices and they don’t have the force of federal guidelines. Inspections are not coordinated state to state and some states have different standards than others.
    Improving FDA’s ability to regulate imported food products. The sources of the recent human and pet food contamination were wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate that originated in China . Neither shipment was inspected by FDA; in fact, FDA inspects fewer than 1.5% of imports. FDA does not currently certify that trading partners have food safety standards that are at least equivalent to those of the United States . This bill would direct FDA to establish a certification program with trading partners interested in exporting food products to the United States . Foreign food safety systems and plants would be inspected by FDA prior to certification and the Secretary would have the authority to revoke certifications and deny importation of food if it presented a public health risk
    Requiring companies to maintain records and make them accessible to FDA as part of an investigation. This provision would prevent delays that could keep contaminations from being traced as quickly as possible. In the case of the recalled peanut butter this past winter, an FDA report showed that inspectors were denied documents when they requested them. The bill would clarify that when FDA conducts inspections, it will have access to those documents needed for purposes of safeguarding the food supply.
    Durbin and DeLauro have been actively engaged on food safety issues for over a decade. This Congress they introduced legislation that calls for the development of a single food safety agency and the implementation of a food safety program to standardize American food safety activities (The Safe Food Act – S. 654 and H.R. 1148 in the Senate and House respectively). Currently, there are at least 12 different federal agencies and 35 different laws governing food safety. With overlapping jurisdictions, federal agencies often lack accountability on food safety-related issues.

www.house.gov/delauro

80. Moony says:

I agree with Me.

At this point, it doesn’t do any good whatsoever to panic, or otherwise raise the stress levels in your home. While the official ‘organic’ label isn’t going to guarantee that you have no poisons in the food, it IS going to guarantee that you have LESS CHANCE of poisons in the food, so for people who cannot raise their own meat and veggies or join a co-op or buy direct from farmers -basically most people in the cities- it is the better choice.

And for those who are religious or spiritual - this is what PRAYER is for! Ask God, in whatever form you think of Him, to make it safe for you and your pets.

“Ask God, in whatever form you think of Him . . .”

Him?! ;)

82. ally says:

Dang straybaby - you beat me to it!

83. Moony says:

“Him?! ;)”

I grew up Catholic, tho I am not anymore, so that’s one way I refer to Our Creator. The important words were ‘YOU think of’, be it if you think of God as female, a duality, ‘the Universe’, ‘the Great Spirit’, whatever. However, if you’re not religious, or spiritual, then obviously you’re going to disregard any of that advice…or sometimes even make fun of it.

84. upset says:

This may not be the right blog but it’s the busiest right now, i just scrolled down the home page of itchmo, and saw a photo of a puppy and a duckling……..and I watched the video.

It is of a LAME LIMPING puppy that appears to be in pain…….in CHINA
    that has a duck as a friend, and the duck does not look very healthy either…….I could puke. Look close at the puppy……..it’s in terrible condition…..limping eyes squinting……I am so upset!

85. ally says:

Moony - I wasn’t making fun of you. But straybaby did make me laugh & was thinking along the same lines re: “Him?! ;) ” as I was.

This has been such an emotional and exhausting ordeal for many of us. Some take their does of humor wherever they can get it. Not to belittle the situation but rather, to survive it.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

86. ally says:

sorry - typosRus…
    “does of humor” above = “dose of humor”

87. Moony says:

Well, I didn’t take particular offense, but sometimes on that particular subject its even harder to tell if its meant as a joke or its a snide comment, so I erred on the side that someone reading it might get confused between them. Okay?

Hey Moony,

sorry, it was more just a cheeky remark not meant offend or to be snide :) my idea of poke in the rib PC humor :-/

89. Ann H says:

Act (EPIA) (21 U.S.C. 1031, et seq.). These statutes provide that FSIS
    is to protect the public by verifying that meat, poultry, and egg
    products are safe, wholesome, unadulterated, and properly labeled and
    packaged.

Well, I guess we need to challenge this - unadulterated. So labeling should include minimally adulterated with melamine?

90. Pit Bull Lover says:

I believe I’ve found the reason for the rushed decision on those 20 million chickens. I guess there’s no time to worry about the health of the nation when you’re struggling to tie your bowtie.

————————-
    State Dinner Guests List
    May 7 06:19 PM US/Eastern
    By The Associated Press

The guest list for Monday night’s state dinner in honor of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, as released by the White House (includes)…

Agriculture Secretary Michael O. Johanns and Stephanie Johanns

————————-

91. johnypaycut says:

Mela chickens free to go? free to go where, back to communist china?
    (not likely , they’l be in the pot of every replublican/democratic alike)
    wise up people! they lie.. we put these smucks in power , we can remove ‘em..
    i’d like a honest independent study ? mela foods are either
    dangerous (obviously) or safe.. lets get a university to take a look?
    don’t let the warped goverment sell you death!
    i’l guarentee if you blindly accept this you’l be dead in a decade..
    maybe it’s time we excersized our consitutional obligation, if nesescary
    litterly throw liers out? if the situation goes unanswered it’l grow worse.l
    we have 300million people in america, we have numbers, we are america.
    get in there faces..get nasty!

92. ally says:

Moony - no worries and thanks for the reply. :)

Pilgrim’s poultry
    Lonnie “Bo” Pilgrim, the chairman of Texas-based Pilgrim’s Pride, is adamant that his fund-raising activities aren’t done for “selfish reasons.”

“I do it, first of all, for what I believe is right and people I contribute to have the same philosophy I have,” said Mr. Pilgrim, a Bush Pioneer. “You know, I’m a conservative. I believe in integrity. I believe in a minimum of regulations. I don’t believe in high taxes.”

Mr. Pilgrim, who founded his company 60 years ago, has seen it grow into the nation’s second-largest poultry producer. Last year, the company posted more than $5 billion in sales.

Since President Bush took office in 2001, Mr. Pilgrim’s business collected nearly $60 million from the federal government for selling poultry to the Agricultural Marketing Service, a government agency that assists farmers and provides food for the poor.

Mr. Pilgrim said he didn’t know that his company had received federal money, but he characterized the federal payments as a “small number,” considering his business does “$20 million a day.”

He said he’s only asked President Bush once for a favor - that he speak with Russian President Vladimir Putin about stopping Russia’s ban on the import of U.S. chickens. In May, 2002, President Bush spoke with Mr. Putin about the so-called “chicken war” - and the Russians eventually allowed the import of the U.S. products.

The discussions came after the two presidents signed a historic nuclear arms treaty at the Kremlin.

“President Putin and I also agree that we’ll work to resolve disputed areas of trading, such as poultry or steel, in a spirit of mutual respect and trust,” President Bush said at a news conference after the signing of the joint declaration.

Mr. Pilgrim, who said he requested Mr. Bush’s intervention on behalf of the chicken industry, called the process “slow and even discouraging” at times.

“I think President Putin didn’t have total control of many things down there in Russia, just like politicians here in America don’t have total control,” said Mr. Pilgrim, who added that Mr. Bush, his wife, Laura, and his two daughters, Jenna and Barbara, spent a night at his home while Mr. Bush was running for governor in Texas.

94. Sylvia says:

Pit Bull Lover,

Let those Globalists eat chicken, wheat gluten and cake!

“This is not a clash between civilisations. It is a clash about civilisation. It is the age-old battle between progress and reaction, between those who embrace and see opportunity in the modern world and those who reject its existence; between optimism and hope on the one hand; and pessimism and fear on the other.”

They just don’t get it. We are just regular folks. All we want is safe food.

95. Sylvia says:

YIKES!!!!
    I just realized that they can’t even spell the word “civilization”! That was not my mistake. It is in the original. Twice!

No wonder we are all f***ed up!!!

Administration Addresses Wheat Gluten Issue

June 4, 2001

The Bush Administration has decided that instead of extending the safeguard, which would have triggered the continuation of European Union (EU) tariffs on corn gluten exports to Europe, US officials will end the safeguard but provide the wheat gluten industry $40 million over two years to complete its transition to competitiveness. For the past three years, the wheat gluten industry has benefitted from a safeguard quota under Section 201.

As the International Trade Commission (ITC) has determined, the wheat gluten industry has used the opportunity to return to competitiveness, but it needs more time. To avoid trade retaliation against the United States under WTO rules, the administration is substituting financial support for the quota.

The assistance program, to be administered and funded by USDA, will provide funding for marketing, product development, and capital expenditures over a two-year period. Wheat gluten producers may submit requests for funding early next week. The assistance will be provided immediately following USDA approval of the requests.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert B. Zoellick said, “By providing this assistance, we promote the recovery of a U.S. industry and its transition into new product lines without exposing our exporters to trade retaliation. This is an example of how we can use our trade laws to help industries meet import competition, without risks to American exporters.”

In effect, this approach has monetized a possible extension of the quota and enabled the wheat gluten industry to move forward without triggering foreign retaliation against another industry. It also makes clear the nature of U.S. support. Extension of the 201 safeguard measure beyond the existing three-year period would have exposed U.S. exporters (particularly its corn gluten exporters) to approximately $50 million in trade retaliation over two years, Zoellick added.

The United States imposed a quota on wheat gluten for a three-year period beginning on June 1, 1998. The quota was imposed based on a finding by the ITC that imported wheat gluten was causing serious injury to domestic wheat gluten producers. The producers indicated that, if granted relief from increased imports, they would invest in production facilities to produce modified wheat gluten for use as a protein supplement, in plastics, and in cosmetics, among other purposes.

The European Union challenged the quota before the World Trade Organization (WTO). As a result of this action, the WTO Appellate Body decided in December 2000 that the wheat gluten quota was inconsistent with WTO rules. In response to this finding, the EU imposed a special duty on a portion of imports of corn gluten from the United States, which are worth approximately $400 million annually. It is understood the EU will remove this duty when the safeguard expires.

In November 2000, U.S. producers of wheat gluten filed a request with the ITC for a two-year extension of the quota on wheat gluten, to June 1, 2003. In its investigation, the ITC found that while the quota was in effect, the domestic producers made substantial new investments in plant and equipment, product development and marketing. As a result, sales of modified wheat gluten and wheat starch increased. However, the ITC also found that the wheat gluten industry needed to make additional expenditures on facilities and marketing to reach its goals.

Wheat gluten is the concentrated form of the protein contained in wheat flour. It is traditionally used to make baked goods and pet food. In modified form, it may be used as a meat extender, egg substitute, or an ingredient in the production of biodegradable plastics. In 2000, The U.S. wheat gluten industry operated facilities in Kansas, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa, and produced 176 million pounds of wheat gluten.

97. Sylvia says:

Anonymous,

Looks like a slow train wreck and We the American People were in the caboose!

Very well said Sylvia.

how many more train wrecks can we handle . . .

*sigh*

As long as we dont eat chicken we should be able to handle a few more.

I forgot to add

any grains, protiens, gluten, pork, spinach, peanut butter, etc……. and dont let your pets eat any type pet food either.

102. ally says:

straybaby, I hope with everything in me, we never have to find out.

Sylvia Says:
    May 7th, 2007 at 3:01 pm
    *********************
    It may have been a speaking engament that was already booked before this blew up, or he was there for another reason. You would expect him to address the subject I would think. from the organic poultry company posted above:

“As a poultry grower, N.O.F.A. and P.C.O. visit each of our farms to assure our chickens are being organically fed and humanely treated.”

“The organic feed we give our chickens is also strictly tested to assure it is 100% organic. The feed is also tested for growth stimulants, antibiotics, animal by products and pesticides, which we do not use.”

to be certified organic, it includes the food they ate as being organic to the point i think it has to come from a certified organic farm which includes the soil. certified organic in petfoods has to meet the same standards. it’s prob the only food in America that is being inspected in a controlled manner and to standards we can *live* with. i’m pretty sure scrap pet food with ingredients from China doesn’t fall into the organic feed catagory.

104. Jenny says:

Anonymous - you should at least post a name.

105. Sylvia says:

Correction: “Civilisation” is an acceptable spelling in this case. The author above is a Limey.

106. Joan says:

Letter to Food Manufacturers Regarding Legal Responsibilities for the Safety of Food Ingredients

Dear Food Manufacturers:

107. redmal says:

Bridget Says: May 7th, 2007 at 6:48 pm

“If I eat any chicken I will have to buy the expensive stuff from the health food store; they carry Amish chicken and I’m assuming the Amish don’t feed their chickens cat/dog food.”

Oh, I wouldn’t bet on that. The Amish communities are quite big in the puppy trade. Just google “puppy mill Amish” you’ll see.

Joan, yer making my head spin!

“Manufacturers should not wait for possible FDA testing of their materials as manufacturers bear the responsibility of ensuring only safe products are put on the market.”

um, didn’t *someone* just release 20 million mela-chickens on us?!

just sayin’ . . . .

109. Erik T. says:

I believe he was talking to the OTA about the mengele-mine chicken [EDITED]-uation Not infering that that the organic chickens were contaminated.

I agree that the article was vague and misleading on this point.

110. Sylvia says:

I’ve sent an e-mail to the OTC. Your right, that must be just a poorly written article. (Fingers crossed.)

“I’m pretty upset that they would allow these chickens to be sold. They should to be destroyed.”

maybe because they haven’t heard of anyone falling ill/dropping dead from the test release that accidently hit the market place, they thought it would be ok to expand the program?!

of course even if they had heard problems with the first wave, we will need to watch for stock sales in the next couple of weeks as our early warning system before the recall.

oh wait! they can’t recall. they don’t have the authority . . .

*bangs head against wall, AGAIN!*

112. Phyllis says:

PetSentinel
    May 7th, 2007 at 3:09 pm — if that is true, then this is truly EVIL!

Katie — since organic chicken can cost an arm and a leg :>D, I have been buying Kosher. Surely they would not feed cat/dog food to a kosher chicken would they :>S ?

bw , May 7th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Get some Dolisos or Unda Common Juniper. Put 3-5 drops in your pets water, this will help de-tox the kidneys, just in case (see www.thepetwhisperer.com ) Also, there are some other kidney detox products you can pick up at some of the smaller pet food stores that SPECIALIZE in high grade pet food, many with organic ingredients etc. But the Dolisos is much more reasonably priced.

From the horsesass.org: “Many companies buy melamine scrap to make animal feed, such as fish feed,” says Ji Denghui, general manager of the Fujian Sanming Dinghui Chemical Company.”

Now I know what killed three betas one after the other. I thought they were not healthy when I bought them, and that is why they died, that is until number three went belly up. Then I thought, maybe this is not the right kind of food for them even though the pet store said it is. Little did I know I was feeding them poison!!

“Some samples of adulterated wheat gluten reportedly tested as high as 6.6-percent melamine by weight, an off the chart concentration that was likely the accidental result of some less than thorough mixing. Had this accident never occurred — had cats, with their sensitive renal systems, not been the canary in the coal mine of melamine toxicity — we might never have known that our children and our pets were being slowly poisoned by Chinese capitalism.” This confirms what I said on an earlier itchmo blog, this has been going on for a long time and perhaps several sources “melamined” the gluten before it got to the pet food companies!

113. Itchmo » Blog Archive » Recall Update: Tuesday says:

[…] You maybe eating chickens that ate tainted pet food. […]

114. e wem says:

Me Said:

“People, please stop!!!!!!!!!!!! You are out of control. This is nothing new, what about Mad cow disease?”

They are not out of control. They are trying to get control over their lives. That is not panic of blind fear, this is panic from fighting the clock to find a safe food for pets many of whom have already suffered kidney damage. When they get calm about the possiblilty of feeding their family poison, then I will worry.

The stomach cannot wait for rational solutions, it needs food now.

BTW I haven’t heard the phrase ‘Bakery By-products’ before. What is this double talk?

I emailed Perdue asking if their chickens were fed product from China. (wish I had saved my email with the exact wording)

Perdue sent me this email which does not discuss foreign source products. The wording does not exclude the possibility of gluten in their feed.

email from Perdue dated Monday May 7, 2007:

Thank you for your recent e-mail and for your inquiry regarding the safety
    of the feed ingredients used in the production of our birds. I can
    understand your concerns, given the recent news stories regarding
    melamine.

Melamine is a nitrogen-based compound used in products such as glues and
    fertilizers.

We feed our birds the finest natural ingredients, including yellow corn,
    soybean meal, vitamins and mineral supplements. Our company
    nutritionists develop all of our feed formulations, we have standardized
    quality control procedures for all of our ingredients and finished feeds,
    and have full time feed quality control associates in each of our feed
    mills.

Regarding recent news stories regarding melamine in poultry feed, we have
    not been notified by USDA that any of our chickens or turkeys are involved
    in the current hold on birds on farms, and have no reason to think they
    would be.

Our customers and consumers should have complete confidence in the safety
    of PERDUE® products that are in stores or in your home. Food safety is a
    top priority of ours, and the standards by which our products are produced
    actually exceed government standards.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to call us
    toll free at 1-800-4PERDUE® (1-800-473-7383) Monday through Friday 9:30 AM
    to 6:00 PM ET, or email us at www.perdue.com®.

Mary Beth James
    Consumer Relations

—————–
    In this era of weasel words, I don’t know how to read their reply. Missing are ‘no wheat gluten’ or ‘no ingredients from China’

If they don’t use Chinese, why would an all clear from the FDA be of any significance?

Disappointing. I like the flavor of their chickens

115. Elena L says:

OK on the Organic front…It sure looked like some of the chickens were to be labeled organic,so I wrote the OTA to basically ask WTF.Here’s the email
    “Here’s what we have posted on www.ota.com:
    Organic Trade Association was host to a visit by Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns on May 7, 2007. The Secretary held a general press conference at the end of his visit where he took questions about organic products and about general issues of interest to the American public concerning the Farm Bill and Food Safety.

His comments in regard to the current melamine contamination issue were addressing the general investigation underway and were not referencing organic products.

Organic meat and poultry are raised using certified organic feed.

Thank you again for contacting the Organic Trade Association, and I invite you to sign up for our free electornic newsletter at www.theorganicreport.org.

Yours,
    Holly Givens
    Public Affairs Advisor
    Organic Trade Association
    PO Box 547
    Greenfield, MA 01302 “

116. Linda says:

For anyone Feeding CA NATURAL OR NATURA DRY PRODUCTS…
    Customer Service Response:

Chicken meal is chicken meat with the water and fat removed.
    Considered the best source of protein in commercial pet foods because of its digestibility and palatability.
    Natura uses the highest quality chicken meal that can be purchased, which is low in ash.

Joyce Walthers
    Natura Pet Products
    1101 S Winchester Blvd Ste J-225
    San Jose, CA 95128

Thank you for your response. Where do you purchase the Chicken Meal from? Is the chicken organic?

Our chicken meal is from Iowa and free of any melamine. It is human grade but not classified as organic. We do have Organic chicken in our Karma Organic dog food.

Customer Service