20 Million Chickens Free To Go

The USDA has lifted the quarantine on the 20 million chickens they detained on Friday that may have eaten tainted pet food in their feed. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said that “testing found that the contaminant, the industrial chemical melamine, was so diluted that any human exposure from the meat or eggs of the animals would be thousands of times lower than the level considered safe.” So, now these chickens will be released into our food supply.

This is in stark contrast to the announcement by the FDA and USDA earlier today about the need to still investigate the chickens for a week.

(Thanks Monika)

116 Responses to “20 Million Chickens Free To Go”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

1. JanC says:

You know I’m impressed…..I really can see into the future. I predicted yesterday that all those melachickens would be released due to the dilution factor. I should work for the FDA…..oh please.

Hold onto your hats, folks, the melachickens are here & ready for your dinner table. Next to be released are the melahogs…..trust me.

2. danielle says:

YUM!

3. PetSentinel says:

That story’s information was copied from Reuters. According to the FDA press release today the chickens are “free to go.” The assessment continues and a decision made within a week. So, either the FDA doesn’t know what the USDA is saying, Reuters got it wrong (which it easily could have…don’t assume any media story is true) or the USDA has decided to act independently which I’m not sure it can.

4. PetSentinel says:

I meant to say “the chickens are NOT, repeat NOT free to go,” according to the FDA.

meat OR EGGS???????

6. Sylvia says:

Why is he talking to the “Organic Trade Association” here? Does that mean these were organically raised? I was hoping to avoid the melamine by buy buying organics.
    “We literally found that the dilution is so minute, in fact in some cases you can’t even test and find melamine any more in that product,” Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said during comments to the Organic Trade Association.

Ok how about if we get together and start a list of safe completely US organic farms from wh people can order their meat and eggs?

What has happened to Nikki of Howl911???

9. Sylvia says:

Yipes!!!
    “Organic Trade Association (OTA) is a membership-based business association that focuses on the organic business community in North America. OTA’s mission is to promote and protect the growth of organic trade to benefit the environment, farmers, the public and the economy.”

I just ate organic chicken last night and have been buying organic eggs hoping they were out of the melamine loop!!! Great.

10. PetSentinel says:

OK… pieced together from three very poorly written press releases and two newspaper articles it DOES look like the chickens are ready for processing.
    I swear they all go out of their way to make it as confusing as possible.
    A friend once told me that government regulations were always written so they could be interpreted at least two different ways so that the gov’t could use the interpretation that served their purpose the best.

11. Katie says:

I would like to say “freeing the birds” surprises me, but it doesn’t. Money, Money, Money. Profit, Profit, Profit!! and if you get kidney stones or have diseased kidneys already and you need lots of treatment - hey big profits for the medical industry. Money makes the world go round.

And, if we die sooner than our expected life span - well they won’t need so much money for medicare and social security - sure the gov’t has lots of places to spend it!

And, Organic - no less! there isn’t anything safe now…

Katie

12. Eric says:

How could chickens being fed processed, salvaged pet food possibly be labeled as organic? That makes no sense! Then again, neither does allowing toxic chickens into the food supply. There are third world countries with safer food than the mighty USA. How sad is that?

13. Garyn says:

Ok then, here we go.

Bell and Evans Chicken. http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=home

This is what they say on their site:

QUESTIONS ABOUT MELAMINE? On Wednesday April 25, 2007, it came to national attention that a potentially harmful substance, melamine, was found in feed given to hogs and chickens in several states. Melamine is a chemical that is normally used in pesticides and resins. According to one theory, melamine may have been added to wheat protein to increase the total amount of nitrogen in wheat protein so that the protein level of wheat protein appears to be higher than it really is. It was found in a pet food ingredient, imported from China, that was subsequently used in the production of bakery by-product meal and then as a feed ingredient in animal feeds. We at Bell & Evans never use bakery by-products or by-products period! Rest assured that our feed is rigorously tested to insure all Bell & Evans chickens are fed a strict diet of corn, extruded and expeller pressed soybeans, vitamins & minerals. If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact our Quality Assurance department at quality@bellandevans.com or 717-865-6626.
    The Excellent Chicken and more!

But it’s not all about chicken. Our other fine products include Bell & Evans Ducks, Cornish Game Hens and Turkey products. At the holidays we offer Whole Turkeys - the same producer of Bell & Evans turkeys has been the White House choice for holiday dinners for more than 30 years. Our turkeys are all-natural and bred to grow slower, produce an extremely broad breast (up to 20% more breast meat) with a moist, tender and flavorful taste.
    1. Our Pledge to You
    Our chickens eat better so you eat better.

All Vegetable Diet
    Raised Without Antibiotics
    No Animal By-Products
    No Growth Hormones
    No Hexane Gas
    No Preservatives
    No Artificial Flavorings
    No Fillers or Extenders
    No Hydrogenated Oils

According to their partners link Newman’s Own pet food uses these chickens.

So, if the melachickens and melahogs are being processed now:

We don’t eat fresh chicken or pork other than those whose makers swear in writing they are not effected by this melamine until 2008, just to be safe. No frozen or canned chicken or pork until 2017. No pet food with chicken or pork until 2010 if it is a premium one year shelf life brand, and 2017 for all others. No hot dogs, sausage or bacon under any circumstances.

What fools. Do they think we have no options at all.

14. CathyA says:

All I can say is the FDA must do SCIENTIFIC work really really fast. Below is from their May 1 press conference.

“One of the reasons we believe that this (effect) is very low on humans is due to the dilution effect insomuch that the hog feed is only made up of - to a small degree (off) of the contaminated pet food.
    Further the melamine is excreted in the - from a hog in urine. It is not known to bioaccumulate in the animals.
    And then finally, even if it were in the muscle tissue to some low extent, pork is not consumed to a high degree in the human diet; unlike pets which may be eating food exclusively. The pet same type of food exclusively.
    To further evaluate all of this in terms of the harm to humans and furthering our information about the levels, FDA and USDA are working collaboratively to develop a series of new assays focused on being able to measure melamine and melamine-related compounds in muscle tissues such as that from hog and from poultry. That will give us a better sense as to what the levels actually are.”

Hello? FDA? I guess you could call statistics science, but I call it math. Risk assessment is not a hard science. So how many of those chickens and pigs had meat samples analyzed? Huh?

I think it was the same press conference that talked about the total number of chickens in US consumed annually. 20 mil is significant and these chickens are going to be in the grocery stores for a while. I’m off to buy chicken and eggs before they hit.

15. Sylvia says:

Here’s the link to the Organic Trade Association if anyone wants to check into it. I’m just feeling too queazy about the whole thing right now.

16. ally says:

Wow. Just wow.

Thank Yahvo I have some frozen chicken left in the freezer. Although once it’s gone, my dogs are going to be so bummed not to have fresh chicken for a long, long time.

17. Ruth says:

Even before this mess of chickens and hogs I’ve always wondered how safe is buying organic food. Is it truly safe and worth paying the hefty prices?
    And by this I don’t mean to insult organic growers or producers of products who are truly trying to do good but I just can’t help but think is it Really Safe.

Now there is more doubt than ever about what’s safe. I have lost total trust for the food industry. Wondering each time I eat something thinking “Is it safe?”… That’s no way to live. It’s sucks……. Thanks…FDA, USDA you make us feel so safe….

Thanks Garyn for getting us started w the Bell & Evans info! Keep it going!

19. Jen says:

SURRRRRRE, yeah I’ll keep that in mind while I continue to stay FAR away from meat :)

20. Jen says:

Ruth- “That’s no way to live. It’s sucks……. Thanks…FDA, USDA you make us feel so safe…”

That’s exactly why we put up a shirt on our homepage that says “FDA… we make FEMA look good” :)

21. AnimalBlawg -- Quarantined chickens now in food supply says:

[…] More on pet food recall and related issues at itchmo. […]

22. zenelvis says:

that’s not melamine in your omlet….those are flavor crystals.

Here are the releases from USDA website:

Scientists Conclude Very Low Risk to Humans from Food Containing Melamine

MELAMINE AND ANALOGUES SAFETY/RISK ASSESSMENT

Mengele-mine. mmmmmmm.

25. elizabeth says:

I thought we all learned over the past weeks that labels mean absolutely nothing. So, why is it we are surprised that “organic” does not mean what we thought it did?

so Dr Mengele of the FDA could you tell us what portion of the unassessed amount of mengelemine ends up in the SHELLS of the chicken?

some of us use eggshell powder in homemade petfood.

i mean eggshells of the poison chicken.

28. TC says:

I was trying to take a mental health day off from this, lol. And just had to peak in to see if there was anything new. Reminds of a Three Stooges episode.

As to the Organic Trade Association, it cements the deal. We are on our own. I don’t care what the label says or doesn’t say, or who “endorses” what, or which hour of which day the FDA gives the all clear, or the USDA’s pitful attempts at job security promising me the moon with NAIS.

Whatever these other groups, organizations, govt. agencies or my great Aunt Minnie says will from now on be merely “advisory” to me. I will it take under consideration. I won’t take it as a guarantee that someone actually DID the job I thought they were hired to do. Or trust what is said without seeing if I can verify it myself. I will reject out of hand anything that just doesn’t make sense, I am not even going to TRY to make sense of nonsense anymore.

I can’t go organic with certainty. I WILL be slaughtering one of the cows, minimum, but while some were born here, others were not. Hmmmm…did they come with pre-existing mad cow? Who knows. I will plant my garden, but no, I don’t know if the seeds have been genetically modified. I need hay for the horses, but just read an article in the local ag-rag - yes, a Federal judge put a stop to Monsanto’s alfalfa seed that came pre-genetically loaded with pesticide. But oops, some seed already got planted, and gets to be harvested. Pesticide laced alfalfa, done genetically. Alfalfa is fed to horses, in other feed products, and I think I saw some at one point listed as an ingredient for either a cat or dog dry food.

Close barn door…but horse is already out. This is just too huge for my head right now. And btw, what the heck was the EPA doing checking out chickens? I don’t feel comfort that the guys in charge of hazardous waste and Super Fund sites were invited to bring their expertise to the party on this one.

P.S. Yes, my freezer has a LOT of chicken in it. Pork too. What to do, what to do - should I toss it, and then just find out I am replacing with more of the same tainted stuff?

29. Ann H says:

There are NO numbers in that FDA/USDA release. I wonder if the reporters just filled in the blanks.

I just wrote one reporter who is Poultry editor asking if she saw those numbers in the release or did she need to publish an errata.

30. Cynthia says:

Melamine-spiking “widespread” in China; human food broadly contaminated

NO WAY FDA! I an still not convinced. I just bought a case of organic chicken.

Epidemic Is Killing Pigs in Southeastern China

HONG KONG, May 7 — A mysterious epidemic is killing pigs in southeastern China, but international and Hong Kong authorities said today that the Chinese government is providing little information about it, or about the contaminated wheat gluten that has caused deaths and illnesses in other animals.

Hong Kong television broadcasts and newspapers were full of lurid accounts today of pigs staggering around with blood pouring from their bodies in Gaoyao and neighboring Yunfu, both in Guangdong Province. The Apple Daily newspaper said that as many as 80 percent of the pigs in the area had died, that panicky farmers were selling ailing animals at deep discounts and that pig carcasses were floating in a river.

The reports in Hong Kong said the disease began killing pigs after the Chinese New Year celebrations in February, and is now spreading. But state-controlled news outlets in China have reported almost nothing about the pig deaths, and very little about the wheat gluten problem.

Medical experts said that the extent of the bleeding from the pigs, including reports of bloody skin lesions, did not sound like the usual symptoms of bird flu, but added that the pig deaths nonetheless needed to be investigated.

Melamine?

I wrote to Foster Farms, this is their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact our Foster Farms Consumer
    Affairs Department. Following is a statement from Foster Farms which
    addresses your concerns.

Sincerely,

Vickie Medeiros
    Consumer Affairs Representative

FOSTER FARMS’ STATEMENT REGARDING POULTRY FEED
    May 2, 2007

LIVINGSTON, Calif. - Foster Farms is committed to producing the safest,
    most wholesome, highest quality and delicious poultry and poultry
    products. Based on recent media coverage about animal feed containing
    tainted products from China, our company has received numerous questions
    from concerned consumers.

Foster Farms would like to reassure our customers and consumers that our
    poultry products are not in any way affected by these events. Foster
    Farms poultry feed does not contain any wheat gluten, corn gluten nor
    any concentrated rice. Furthermore, Foster Farms does not import any
    protein ingredients from China for its poultry feed.

Foster Farms chickens are fed a highly-nutritious, balanced diet
    composed mostly of corn and soy meal, with added vitamins and minerals.
    Consumers can also be assured that Foster Farms does not use Roxarsone
    or any feed additives containing arsenic.

Founded by Max and Verda in 1939, Foster Farms remains family owned and
    operated to this day. The company has stayed committed to providing the
    highest quality fresh, locally grown chicken to consumers in the West.
    Foster Farms branded fresh chicken is always locally grown on farms it
    owns or operates in each of its markets (California, Oregon and
    Washington). Chickens are raised in large poultry barns with enough
    space for the birds to move about freely. Foster Farms specializes in
    producing high quality fresh chicken products that are all natural with
    no preservatives or sodium-based additives, in addition to a full line
    of other delicious poultry products. The company produces and delivers
    premium quality poultry products to retailers, warehouse clubs and
    foodservice customers throughout the West.

33. bw says:

Good heavens! I was so happy to find a grain free dry cat food, Innova EVO.
    And now since the main ingredients are chicken and chicken meal……
    WHAT TO DO NOW??? Can’t feed the real chicken! Heaven knows what is in that. Should I be afraid to feed the chicken and chicken meal in the dry food??!! The “dilution effect” totally absurd as it is, surely wouldn’t work on the sensitive systems of cats.
    SOOO what in the world CAN I FEED MY CATS??!

Is there NO way we can find out which companies are getting the Melechickens??? So that we can avoid them??
    I know that is a naive questions, but I am desperate. If it doesn’t have grain, what should we look for in our cat food??…… I give up totally.

34. Cynthia says:

It really doesn’t surprise me knowing what they already allow in animal feed…

Union of Concerned Scientists
    The Reality of Feed at Animal Factories

35. Ali says:

So the melamine was so low in some chickens it couldn’t even be found…meaning that in most chickens it was quite easy to test for.

No chicken for me.

My dogs eat turkey from Zacky Farms along with some beef. No chicken…one has always hated it. Maybe he is psychic?

I have trouble finding Bell & Evans chicken here so I’ll be looking for a decent product or going chickenless.

I too am disappointed in the organic chickens. Have you all seen the photos of the melamine contaminated feeds? It looks pretty obvious to me.

36. Mark says:

I can believe that melamine wouldn’t make it into the muscle meat of chicken, i.e. what goes into the human food supply. But I certainly wouldn’t want to eat a kidney from one of these melamine-fed chicken. And my guess is that alot of what gets called chicken meal, chicken giblets, chicken, chicken-by-products in pet food is actually ground up organ meat.

I’m not familiar with “organic” brands of chicken. Are these the “large growers” as reported by the Washington Post on Saturday, or has the “organic” angle been added in an attempt (by some) to trivialize the story?

From Saturday’s Washington Post:

The 20 million live chickens being held were being raised for “large, brand-name growers,” USDA spokesman Keith Williams said. “These are names you would know.”

I’m confused. Can someone please expalin this??????

38. Ali says:

Does anyone know where all these poisoned pigs and chickens are?

We have a lot of local stuff here and I’m wondering if the feed didn’t get this far.

canned salmon. wild. not fed grain.

40. 4lgdfriend says:

Mark said: I certainly wouldn’t want to eat a kidney from one of these melamine-fed chicken. And my guess is that alot of what gets called chicken meal, chicken giblets, chicken, chicken-by-products in pet food is actually ground up organ meat.

Right and meal would be more concentrated as well as produced under high heat.

41. lacy says:

Bw
    One good thing about Innova is that Natura is testing for melamine as a routine test before food gets out. So Hopefully they would catch it if it was contaminated and not send it out.. HOPEFULLY.. Im using california natural, so Im praying so.

Does anyone know about the turkey baby food? As a snack I have been giving Gerber Turkey and Broth, and Beechnut Turkey and broth. Now Im worried. Is turkey affected too?

And I just ordered Evangers Organic Turkey… GRR

ok, so are the chicken that is on the shelves now safe?

Is it safe to go buy a bunch and freeze and and then not for say 6 months?

The FDA needs to be fed and served these chickens on a silver platter. I’d like to see those Dumb A**** eat them.

43. ally says:

bw Says: at 4:55 pm

“Good heavens! I was so happy to find a grain free dry cat food…
    And now since the main ingredients are chicken and chicken meal……
    WHAT TO DO NOW??? Can’t feed the real chicken! Heaven knows what is in that.”

bw, oh how I know exactly how you feel!

I’m in the same boat with my dog’s food which is chicken based & I WAS adding home cooked chicken as well. Cripes on a hockey puck. And one more thing….. if I read or hear the FDA’ s mornonic catch phrase “dilution effect” one more time, I swear I’m going to go stark raving POSTAL!!!

44. TC says:

How about the eggs? Safe or not - any guesses? I would think it would be as iffy to eat as livers, etc.

45. 4lgdfriend says:

http://tinyurl.com/389mb7 sustainable table blog:
    “The big picture is that Macdonalds used the cheapest wheat gluten to coat their french fries for many years…and JR Simplot used GMO potatoes and grows and coats potatoes in China…….see the big picture now? “

from Cynthia’s link: more info there..
    \You can:
    Avoid factory farmed animal products altogether by choosing plant-based foods.
    Choose grass-fed and grass-finished beef and dairy products and pasture-raised pork, poultry, and egg products.
    Select certified organic meats, eggs, and dairy and those clearly labeled as using only vegetarian animal feed.
    Purchase meats, eggs, and dairy products from local farmers on the farm, at farmers markets, or by buying a share from a local farmer as part of a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program.

47. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

I buy Eberly Chicken. It tastes so much better that factory farmed chicken. There really is a big difference! I love their products and so do my cats.

You can call them for locations … http://www.eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

48. Garyn says:

The mela pet food may have gone into bakery by product fed to chickens from way back in the fall of 2006 when Menu started making the food with the poison. Think about all the glop and salvage product over all those months of time. Where did that all go. We don’t hear about that from the FDA. So who knows if the chickens out there at this minute have this stuff in them right now. I hope not. When this first happened I switched to raw and fed chicken livers. Oh God help me. I fed lots of livers. And now I am using a dehydrated base to which I add fresh meat and the first ingredient is alfalfa. Thanks TC for that GM info. So since March, my cat is dead and my dog has eaten many mela livers (and chickens) and pesticide alfalfa. I am almost losing it at this point.

49. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

I buy Eberly Chicken. It tastes so much better that factory farmed chicken. ALSO BETTER THAN BELL & EVANS which is factory farmed! There really is a big difference! I love their products and so do my cats.

You can call them for locations … http://www.eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

Eberly Poultry is free-range raised on small Amish and Mennonite family farms in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. The family tradition of raising poultry nature’s way makes a world of difference in the flavor of our chicken.

The “poultry” is usually grown and processed with commercial production methods. Meaning, sometimes production is geared towards volume at the expense of the finished products overall taste. Also, in order to attain high volume, machinery is used to process chickens. Eberly’s poultry is hand processed with a low volume environment this enhances the quality taste of our birds. In our world of poultry raising, it is a balanced blend of family farm tradition and advanced development of both poultry breeds and organically grown feed grains. Our poultry breeds are selected because they grown better naturally.

Eberly Poultry Organic Free-Range Chickens and Turkeys are U.S.D.A. inspected and certified organically grown by the Northeast Organic Farmers Association and Pennsylvania Certified Organic.

Then we give them what they need most to grown into plump, young, naturally flavorful birds:

A true free-range environment, where they get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and room to exercise. Studies show that foraging; free-range poultry produces healthier, meatier birds with more muscle and less fat.
    Improved organically grown grains that are naturally high in protein and nutrients. Our feed grains are resistant to disease and grown with organic farming methods, like crop rotation, that prevent disease. Since we are organic, we use modified grain in our feed. The soils are enriched only with organic fertilizers and humus.
    Pure, mineral-rich water clean enough for our farm families to drink themselves. Chlorine and fluoride aren’t needed.
    Time to mature. Eberly poultry is allowed to grow to full potential for the highest quality flavor and meat firmness. That’s nature’s timing!
    Eberly Poultry never uses growth stimulants, antibiotics or animal by products in our organic feed. Our poultry is fed only wholesome organic feeds and given fresh water. So feel confident when buying an Eberly chicken you are buying “Poultry as Nature Intended.”

ORGANICS CERTIFICATION
    To reassure our customers of Eberly Poultry’s overall commitment to organic, The Northeast Organic Farmers Association and Pennsylvania Certified Organic have certified us as an organic poultry producer. These two organizations review our overall growing and production procedures, extensively.

As a poultry grower, N.O.F.A. and P.C.O. visit each of our farms to assure our chickens are being organically fed and humanely treated. Each chicken house is thoroughly inspected to guarantee each bird is getting 1 1/2 square feed of space to deter overcrowding and risk of spreading disease.

The organic feed we give our chickens is also strictly tested to assure it is 100% organic. The feed is also tested for growth stimulants, antibiotics, animal by products and pesticides, which we do not use.

P.C.O. and N.O.F.A. also inspect the Eberly Poultry plant. The plant is inspected for cleanliness and safety procedures during the processing. P.C.O., N.O.F.A. and the USDA insure a safe and clean processing environment through each step of processing.

Finally, P.C.O. and N.O.F.A. require us to maintain an audit trail of each flock’s growth from chick to retail store. This assures our chickens and turkeys were organically certified from hatchery through processing. Thus, ensuring our customers will enjoy the freshest free-range organic chicken or turkey with absolute confidence it is certified organic.

50. Cynthia says:

5CatMom

You can call them for locations … eberlypoultry.com/

Whole Food’s carry Eberly… www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Or you can ask your local health store to order it for you, like I did.

ORGANICS CERTIFICATION