A Cruel Ride For Mitt Romney’s Dog

RomneyIt was 1983 and Mitt Romney, former Massachusetts governor and now presidential candidate, was going on a vacation with his family. The family was driving from Boston to Ontario, and Seamus, the dog, was also coming along for the trip.

Where did Romney put Seamus? Romney strapped a dog carrier with Seamus, an Irish setter, in it, to the roof of the family station wagon for the twelve hour drive. Fortunately, Seamus survived the long trip on the top of the car, although he protested being on top by releasing his bodily fluids on the car.

More on Romney’s situation with his dog after the jump.

From Time.com:

Massachusetts’s animal cruelty laws specifically prohibit anyone from carrying an animal “in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhuman manner or in a way and manner which might endanger the animal carried thereon.”

An officer for the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals responded to a description of the situation saying “it’s definitely something I’d want to check out.” The officer, Nadia Branca, declined to give a definitive opinion on whether Romney broke the law but did note that it’s against state law to have a dog in an open bed of a pick-up truck, and “if the dog was being carried in a way that endangers it, that would be illegal.”

And while it appears that the statute of limitations has probably passed, Stacey Wolf, attorney and legislative director for the ASPCA, said “even if it turns out to not be against the law at the time, in the district, we’d hope that people would use common sense…Any manner of transporting a dog that places the animal in serious danger is something that we’d think is inappropriate…I can’t speak to the accuracy of the case, but it raises concerns about the judgment used in this particular situation.”

Romney’s campaign did not respond to any emails or calls in regards to his treatment of his dog.

(Thanks Pit Bull Lover)

60 Responses to “A Cruel Ride For Mitt Romney’s Dog”

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

1. Pit Bull Lover says:

Poor Seamus must have been terrified - the wind hurting his ears and every lane change or press of the brake pedal a nail-scrabbling, living nightmare for him.

Cruel. Thoughtless. Shameful.

2. pat says:

anybody who lives in new england is familiar with romney and in that context it’s not difficult to believe this story. nuff said.

3. Traci says:

Well, if that’s how he treats his dog, wonder how he would treat the nation–NOT that I was thinking of voting for him.

4. chip says:

This is SUCH a joke. “Well, if that’s how he treats his dog, wonder how he would treat the nation”. Are you people freaking kidding me?!!! Wake up!!! What this article DIDN’T say is that he built a windshielf for the carrier to make it a comfortable ride for his dog. OOPS, just HAPPENED to forget that little detail.

Plus, we all have done things in the past that we probably wouldn’t do today. My parents used to pile us kids in a station wagon, in the rear facing seat without seatbelts back in the 80’s. They would NEVER think to do that now.

I read these articles and see peoples comments and it sincerely makes me cringe. Is this the intelligence of America? IF he does this to a dog, then what would he do to the Nation? I will strongly say that you are an absolute Moron–and so are half of the people that comment to this story.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Please try not to resort to name-calling to make your point.

5. Lynne says:

Chip, the fact that the dog defacated and urinated all over the car is a strong indication that the animal was terrified, windscreen or no. Reading the article further (at Time) shows a pattern of disregard for the welfare of not only animals but humans as well.

–From Time:
    Romney, of course, has expressed support for the use of “enhanced interrogation” techniques when it comes to terrorists–

If you would do a little reading you would see that our opinions (us morons) are based on fact. I suspect you have the same disregard for animals that Mr. Romney has.

Name-calling is also a sign of immaturity. If the stories and comments on this blog offend you there are many, many more out there you can read.

6. dog collar addict says:

what a jerk! how would he like it if he was strapped to the roof of a car for a highway ride for 10 hours?!

7. Janet says:

I certainly don’t know very much about Mr. Romney but in my opinion, such disregard for the welfare of a pet speaks loudly about one’s character.

8. Carol says:

Sounds like Chip should have posted his comment in The Ring—not here. I may not agree with everything I read here, but I would never call anyone a moron—well, now I may think of one!!!

9. Ann H says:

Wow, Chip, you convinced me not to join those who support Romney.. that IMO was worse PR than the story itself.

10. Canadianna says:

Chip says:

“Are you people freaking kidding me?!!! Wake up!!! What this article DIDN’T say is that he built a windshielf for the carrier to make it a comfortable ride for his dog. OOPS, just HAPPENED to forget that little detail.”

Chip, I don’t think a homemade windshield makes Romney’s actions excusable. I’m no expert, and clearly neither are you, but common sense tells me a 12 hour ride on top of a car is not something both you and I would endure. Windshield or no windshield. What makes it acceptable for a dog?

uh, Chip, I read the BG article (where it’s included) and the windshield doesn’t make a damn bit of difference to me in this matter! PETS DO NOT BELONG ON TOP OF A CAR, PERIOD. In fact it made it worse! Shows how much thought he put into it and never decided how wrong it was. It’s not like they couldn’t afford to rent a small trailer for the overflow. . .

And the fact the family would even bring it up 24yrs later speaks volumes, IMO.

chip says:

June 28th, 2007 at 7:45 am

“I will strongly say that you are an absolute Moron–and so are half of the people that comment to this story.”

Takes one to know one……

13. Gerry says:

I think what Romney did is heart less. What a way to treat your best friend. Everyone is entitled to their opinion , but to call someone a moron because they disagree with you is also heart less.We need less name calling in our society. It makes the name caller look mean and immature. Do you hear me Ann Coulter.

14. Pit Bull Lover says:

When I went to the Boston Globe article and read about the windshield, I did NOT feel any better for Seamus. The improvised barrier might have cut down on the wind blowing directly on the dog, but it probably would have affected the stability of the carrier itself. (Ever hear of the aviation term “lift”?) When I try to imagine the scenario, I’m amazed the carrier - and the dog - didn’t eventually break free and crash onto the highway behind the family station wagon.

BTW, I think Chip accidently made a wrong (Left? Oops! HaHa.*) turn on some political board and ended up at Itchmo, instead. If the articles and comments at Itchmo.com are so cringe-inducing for Chip, I wonder why he bothers to return?

Time magazine gave the brief article the title “Romney’s Cruel Canine Vacation,” which I found amusing and fitting, but I’ll admit to being a tad uncomfortable with the piece’s overall tone.

*Itchmo readers come in all colors, flavors, shapes, and sizes.

Romney is the co-founder and former head of Bain Capital–the company which owns the recalled Nutro PF brand:

“In 1984, Romney left the company to co-found Bain Capital, which quickly became a highly successful private equity investment firm.

“Following his year at Bain & Company, Romney returned to Bain Capital.

“In 1994, Romney won the Massachusetts Republican Party’s nomination for U.S. Senate after defeating businessman John Lakian in the primary.

“After Romney touted his business credentials and his record at creating jobs within his company, Kennedy ran campaign ads showing an Indiana company bought out by Romney’s firm, Bain Capital, and interviews with its union workers who had been fired and criticized Romney for the loss of their jobs, one saying, “I don’t think Romney is creating jobs because he took every one of them away.”

May 31, 2007

“Thanks to the power of online video services, the Huffington Post has resurrected TV ads from Republican Mitt Romney’s failed 1994 bid for the U.S. Senate. The ads sponsored by opponent Sen. Ted Kennedy painted Romney, then a partner at Bain Capital LLC, as a heartless businessman crushing the poor workingman. Evidently, Ampad, a Bain Capital portfolio company, acquired rival SCM and proceeded to lay off its employees, who were later offered their jobs back at a lower rate.”

“My dog ate some of Nutro’s Natural Choice Seniors food that was recalled. He had started to pass bloody urine before I pulled the remainder of the can he was working on. It cost me a few hundred
    dollars in vet bills to have his blood and urine tested and X-rays done. Thankfully, there was no permanent kidney damage.

“At the end of this time, I received a very short, curt reply that my claim had been denied. The reason? “While your pet may have consumed some of the recalled product, testing of your pet has revealed that your pet did not suffer from renal/kidney failure from consuming the Nutro Product. Accordingly, there is no property damage as a result of the insured’s product.””

Nutro has been sold to Mars/MasterFoods, but until then, the company belongs to Bain Capital, who chose MF to produce their wet foods and who chose to cut and run after the recalls:

Wall Street Journal May 30, 2007

“Bain Capital, the LBO group that owned pet food maker Nutro, is beating a retreat, selling out this month to Mars Inc. (yep, the giant candy maker). ”

16. Takami826 says:

Chip, let’s do that to your child. For 12 hours. OK, 6… even 2… let’s see how well your child does in that situation.

17. HighNote says:

Chip no one ask you to read any of the posts here anyway. If you feel we are all morons then don’t bother to come back!
    I think that it is terribly wrong to strap a dog in a carrier on top of a car. This was not a short ride! How did they get him down to potty? They didn’t. So for twelve hours this dog had to either hold his bodily fluids are let them out all over the car. That is sick!
    I personally feel we have a lot of very intelligent people coming to the itchmo sight. I have read a lot and have been taught a lot about pet food and felt the love that so many people here have for their pets. I find this a very special place to come and to share my thoughts as well as read other peoples thoughts.

18. JJ 2 says:

Chip, please keep your abusive comments to yourself. How a person treats an animal or any defenseless being is a reflection on their character or at least in this case someone’s decision making acumen and something which should seriously be considered when making decisions about whether or not to vote for a candidate.

19. chip says:

OK, OK, I surrender.

I apologize for being so bold and careless in my name calling. Not my intention to offend. And you’re right, I shouldn’t resort to that.

I also didn’t realize that I ended up on a site for cat and dog lovers. :)
    That’s actually kind of funny and ironic.

I would never put my dog on the roof for a 12 hour trip. I may have back in the early 80’s when animal rights awareness was not what it is today. But I’m sure Governor Romney would not do such a thing these days. And I’m sure he would not have done it had he thought harm would come to the Family Pet. Let’s not blow this out of proportion–and let’s also remember some of the idiotic things we all did back in the 80’s. I, for one, wore my collar up, pegged my pants, and tried to break dance!

As to the deficating, and urination, couldn’t one reasonably

“I can’t speak to the accuracy of the case, but it raises concerns about the judgment used in this particular situation.”

chip says:
    June 28th, 2007 at 7:45 am

“This is SUCH a joke. “Well, if that’s how he treats his dog, wonder how he would treat the nation”.

“Is this the intelligence of America? IF he does this to a dog, then what would he do to the Nation?”

The job is ALL ABOUT judgment, and that’s escaped you; lack of it could result in WW III.

21. Katie says:

menusux,

Glad you reposted the info about Romney and Bain Capital. If I remember correctly, Ted Kennedy did not have good things to say about him a few years ago when he ran for gov. in Mass.

Wind shield or not, what a cruel thing to do to an animal. Pathetic. Where do these people come from? Did he give any thought as to what would happen if he had been in an accident? I wonder if he made any pit stops for the poor dog. How on earth could the dog have drunk water, while traveling on top of the car? His poor dog must have been so scared.
    I keep hoping that when these people go knocking on Heaven’s gate - the good Lord shows them no mercy and sends them on another path…. perhaps Mr Romney could come back as a dog to an owner who would strap him on top of the cars hood.

Katie

22. Lynne says:

“Look, the part that amazes me is how someone can draw the conclusion that since Mitt Romney treated his dog this way, that he would do the same to the American people if elected President. Can you actually, intelligently draw that conclusion?”

Yes, we can. And so can some people like this PhD:

What Romney did was abuse, pure and simple. I stand by my previous comment as well, noting that Romney supports the “extreme interrogation” methods (read torture) against people. We’ve had enough of that kind of mentality in the White House.

23. chip says:

Wow. WWIII. Either I’m way out of touch with mainstream public opinion or you guys are just a little too protective AND judgemental. I’ve been attacked (and rightly so) for drawing quick judgment on posters here based on their comments. I even went so far as name calling.

I was out of line.

24. Gerry says:

Hey Chip alias..saturday night fever. lol Glad to see you opologize. I like that. But you are on an animal lovers site and none of us would ever treat our pets like that, I hope I speak for most of us anyway. I dont think that it happened in the 80’s is much of an excuse. It is true we have all done something we regret but mistreating an animal is never right no matter what the year.

Chip, luggage racks are for luggage. PERIOD.

I spent my fair share of time in a ‘wagon as a kid on vacation (60’s & 70’s) and many times the pets went with. INSIDE the wagon. it really disturbs me that he did not see the error in his ways while he took the time to build the windshield or now 24yrs later. there were SO many better choices that could have been made then and yet he now makes another poor decision to use (let this be used) this to illustrate his ‘crisis management’?!

after GWB, let’s hope we can up the brain power in the WH . . .

26. Carol says:

27. Pit Bull Lover says:

Off-topic, sorry: Chip, what is your relationship to the “Mitt Romney for President 2008″ campaign? Seriously.

On-topic: Has anyone else done the math? Mitt was *37* years old at during the one-time “family pet strapped to the luggage rack” incident.

Poor Seamus. I sure hope the weather was nice during that 12-hour road trip. Then again, if they’d had the luck to drive through a good thunderstorm, Mitt might not have had to stop the car to hose it and the dog off.

28. Doug says:

I mean anyone mindless, and stupid, and CRUEL enough to put a dog on the roof of a car for 12 hours, well sure he would make a great president…… of say China….or Menu foods… By the way Mitt’s character hasn’t changed a bit in 20 odd years… we know this all to well in Masssachusetts.

chip says:
    June 28th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

“But, isn’t that the same thing everyone’s doing to Romney? Ask yourself that sincerely. And now even linking him to a dog food manufacturer (as if that gives you added ground to base your judgements of him on) Do any of you own stock? Mutual Funds? Are you 100% liable for the decision made by those companies even though you are an owner in the Firm? C’mon. Cut the guy some slack. I think this has more to do with him being a Republican than a one-time action 23 years ago.”

He’s being linked to Bain Capital, which happens to own Nutro PF at present. Record shows he founded Bain Capital and was employed there for quite a while.

One can choose to invest in companies which are in keeping with their philosophies, just as one can choose to divest themselves when the companies are not. Boils down to researching where one invests, which needs to be done before investing anyway regardless of one’s investment intentions.

I think you’re in the wrong place for Republican/Democrat statements–this isn’t a political blog.

30. Ruth says:

Chip says:” I think this has more to do with him being a Republican than a one-time action 23 years ago.”

I remember seeing a picture of LBJ (a Democrat), president picking up his beagle dog by his ears. Saying the dogs like it. I can just imagine how his dogs cried out in pain.

So stupidity knows no political boundries.

And even if Mitt was *37* yrs. old. He was adult enough to know better.

31. Kiki says:

Chip’s a troll - why bother responding to his inflammatory remarks???

32. Pit Bull Lover says:

Haha, Ruth! I *did* mean 37 was old enough to know better — and certainly time enough to have developed one’s character regarding the treatment of animals.

33. Hosing him down? says:

I can’t believe Mit hosed down the poor little guy and kept on driving at what 75 mph? Despite the hypthermia I am sure Seamus was A-OK because of the ‘wind shield’. Geez

34. Pit Bull Lover says:

straybaby wrote: “…luggage racks are for luggage. PERIOD.”

PBL writes, in the voice of Samuel L. Jackson - “Hold up now, straybaby! You’re forgettin’ about Xmas trees!”

35. Itchmo: Daily news, humor and reviews for cat & dog owners » Why Mitt Romney Is Not Fit For The Presidency says:

[…] You strapped your dog in its cage to the top of your family car for 12 hours at highway speeds. During that trip, you saw how scared the dog was, because it defecated on top of the vehicle. This gave you a chance to correct your error in judgment. But instead, you stopped to hose down the dog and then put the wet dog back on top of the car for the remainder of the trip. You set the example before your kids that it’s OK to treat a dog as you would a box, a bicycle or a bag. […]

36. mittens says:

katie-”Ted Kennedy did not have good things to say about him a few years ago when he ran for gov. in Mass.”

and of what worth is the opinion of someone who had a slightly similar ‘car problem’ that involved the killing of a human and got away with it because of who his family was? the dopes of this ridiculous state i happen to live in vote for someone who left a woman to die in a car he drove drunkenly off a bridge-why does that make any more sense than voting for a dog abuser?

see, leaving a dog boxed on a roof and flying down the highway is cruel stupid and irresponsible. leaving a woman boxed, unconcious in a sinking car is actually something far worse… at least the poor dog is alive.

mitt is a tool-i would never vote for him but teddy boy is worse. his opinions about anything other than the drinking of scotch and getting away with murder are worthless.

37. HighNote says:

I agree totally mittens and to make matter worse that car that Teddy left the girl in was just barely under the water. He could have saved her but ran. He was at the wrong place and with the wrong woman and did not want to get caught. I always wondered why anyone would elect him.
    And as far as Mitt doing this to his poor dog it just shows he didn’t want to get doggy hair on his pretty suit. Mitt was caring about himself and not his pet.

38. chip says:

My last post and I promise to leave.

I feel really bad when I found out from Carol about this post.

“What Chip does need to know is he just didn’t stumble upon a cat and dog lover site, he stumbled upon a site where MANY of the posters have recently lost or are taking care of a very sick “family” member due to what is normally a safe thing to do (feed our pets). Maybe that will help him to understand.”

I didn’t mean to offend anyone as you all have taken or are taking care of sick or abused cats and dogs. My wife and I have a cat (and we take great care of it).

I am just a big fan of Mitt Romney. Not on his campaign staff. Just a lowly little supporter. I like his ideas, credentials and family. I think he will be good for America.

I am also a bit jumpy when it comes to defending him. It probably has come from ALL of the INTENSE (and I’d argue unfair) MEDIA about his Mormon religion even though he has repeatedly said that Americans are voting for a Commander in Chief, not a Pastor in Chief. I’m flabergasted when I hear comments like, “I could never vote for someone if he/she is a Mormon” etc. Perhaps that’s why I jumped all over the original poster who said, “If someone treats their dog this way, how will they treat the American people?” It just seems like Romney keeps getting so unfairly scrutinized by the Media.

I guess it probably is happening to all the candidates–just an unfortunate part of our political process.

Anyway, I don’t want to turn this into a political thing. I’m sure some of you out there don’t care for Romney. Some will like him–some not. I just hope people would look at the candidates’ whole lives without making sweeping generalizations about them based on one or two instances and on things not related to the Presidency.

Sorry once again about my crazy posts!!!

I promise, I’m off here forever!!!

Good luck, everybody, with your caring for your pets. Give them the love they deserve.

chip

39. JJ from IL says:

Chip it has nothing to do with liking this guy as some do not even know anything about Mitt Romney but now we sure do. He is a person just like we are but of a different ilk that would think nothing of mistreating a defenseless animal-gawd knows what he would do with all the power of an office like that! No thanks to people like that-those kind are dangerous and have a mean streak a mile wide but keep it greatly hidden. Now it stands naked for the world to see. Mean, cruel people have no heart and no feelings. They do not belong in this world.

40. KimS says:

Who cares if he is a Mormon or not. He is cruel to animals and that is very telling about a persons nature.

Jeffrey Dahmer (the mass murderer who also ate his victims)
    abused and killed animals when he was a child. He grew up to be the infamous mass murderer we all know and hate.

I’ll never trust a person who is cruel to animals.

I admit, I don’t know the whole story. But if he drove with his dog on top of the car for 12 hours and still defends himself about that, he is a PSYCHOPATH!!!!

41. TC says:

Chip, to be honest, I didn’t know what party Mitt belonged to. I am registered independent, and I don’t vote on along “party” lines - it simply isn’t a consideraton for me. Neither do I belong to a religious organization, so I don’t care about his being a Morman, nor would I see any reason to hold his religion against him. That is ridiculous.

But what he did to his dog? No candidate can be that “special” or good in the rest of his works/life that I will overlook it. A person who can abuse an animal in that way has a problem. I will say it again - HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. And I am taking a stand on crap like that - I don’t elect people who mistreat animals, I don’t socialize with them, I don’t do business with them, and if I caught a family member behaving that way, I will ostracize them. Ditto what KimS said - I too will never trust a person who is capable of cruelty to animals. Not interested. That says all I need to know about his character.

I am old enough that I won’t put up with abusers of any stripe, nor people who don’t have my core values. Animal mistreatment is way up on my personal list of sins I won’t forgive. There are plenty of other candidates, so I won’t listen to anything Mitt person says in the upcoming campaign.

42. TC says:

And one other rant I forgot - his dog endured this cruelty so that this moron could take a VACATION. Frivolous crap, a vacation of all things. I say about him just what I would say about anyone - what a jerk, his kind need to leave the gene pool. ASAP. And his foolish wive as well - who sat there and let her dh abuse the dog. She is guilty as well. Couple of losers, just like any other that are caught doing this crap.

43. Convertible lover says:

I love convertibles! I drive with the top down all of the time. I do have a windshield. I have the top down in the heat of the day and the cool of the night.

I’ve even been caught in the rain on a drive with my mother with the top down. My children, grandchildren and dog love to ride in the back seat. I’ve had many road trips with the top down all day and especially at night!

I have to say my dog has never messed in the back seat of our convertible with the top down, however I did have a dog mess all over my grandfather’s shoe in the back seat of our car with the top up.

Gosh, I never thought a convertible was torture. I’ll have to let the motorcycle drivers and convertible owners know this is a torturious way to travel.

I’m going to have to think about how I’ll let my dog know the bad news.

Convertible Lover,

So does that mean you’re willing to put your grandkid in a cage and strap the child on the roof of your car for 12 hours?

You must be kidding to compare the back seat of a convertible to being strapped to the roof of a car. I too own a convertible and drive with my dog. After a few hours of driving highway speeds, I get fatigued from the wind even in my protected driver’s seat.

How good do you think this Mitt Romney windshield was? Was it engineered like your car’s windshield? Or was it some homemade contraption? Any object that faces highway speed winds takes a real beating.

Make yourself a windshield, then strap yourself to the top of a car and drive at HALF the highway speeds. Come back and tell us how that compares to the back seat of a convertible.

45. Pit Bull Lover says:

Oh, Seamus - poor boy - when vacation was over, did the mean people (your family) put you back in that box on top of their car and torture…uh, I mean *drive* you all the way home to Boston?

46. Itchmo: Daily news, humor and reviews for cat & dog owners » Dogs, Cats And Pets Of Presidential Candidates says:

[…] Family recently lost Marley, a Weimaraner. Read about family dog Seamus’ 12-hour ordeal on top of Romney’s car. And why we think Romney should not be […]

47. Convertible lover says:

Anonymous _ the fact that you would rank a child with a dog is alarming. I have had pets all my life and would never ever think to elevate them to the status of my children or grandchildren.

I fly and my dog goes in a kennel on long extended flights, I don’t know which is worse the airplane seats or the kennel. I know my dog hates this part of flying, he would much rather be in my convertible.

48. Ruth says:

To Convertible lover: some pet owners do consider their pets that special that would as you say,be elavated status as children or grandchildren. I call my daughters pets as my grandkids since I have none.

My pet Marley was sooo special and loved. That I grieve for her deeply.

Call us crazy but some of us love our pets that much. And some people that may be all they have. Some pets give a person so much loyalty and love back sometimes more than anyone else.

If you don’t feel that way about your pets, then its your choice.

Our family pets have ranked up there with my kids because they all are special to me.

Convertible lover,

You’re probably horrorfied at the thought of a child strapped to the top of a car, as I am. It’s called a mental exercise. Don’t change the topic here. What does the cargo hold of a plane have anything to with Mitt Romney exposing his poor dog to the elements for 12 hours? Most reasonable people would find his actions horrorfying. Animal control officials thought that his actions should have been looked into. Why are you defending a guy who didn’t care enough to properly care for his dog? No one accused you of being a bad person by driving with your dog in a convertible.

50. Itchmo: Daily news, humor and reviews for cat & dog owners » Mitt Romney Defends His Actions, Says Dog Liked The Car Roof says:

[…] candidate Mitt Romney came to his own rescue (sort of) on a Thursday campaign stop. In defending his actions of strapping the family dog in a crate to the top of the car for 12 hours, he said “[the dog, Seamus,] scrambled up there every time we went on trips. He got it all by […]

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All