Michael James Keenan, a San Francisco artist, risked his life to save a friend’s dog from a fire. Keenan was house and dog sitting for a friend when a fire broke out in the house. He went outside of the house and realized that the dog, Bobby, was still inside the house. He went back in the house and found the 10-year-old Jack Russell terrier hiding under the bed.
Although both Keenan and Bobby escaped the fire, they sustained critical injuries. Bobby was in intensive care at Pets Unlimited, a non-profit veterinary hospital and animal shelter, due to eye damage and swelling.
Keenan sustained burns over 80% of his body. After months in the hospital, Keenan suffered an infection and died of a stroke earlier this week. His friends and family remember him as a hero and a completely selfless human being. Keenan not only saved Bobby’s life, but he saved a woman that was drowning six years ago.
Bobby is doing well after his month of intensive care in the hospital, and Pets Unlimited graciously forgave Bobby’s $26,000 bill.
More on Keenan after the jump.
“He was the kind of guy who would walk into any pub and walk out with 15 friends,” said Owen Kelly, who knew Mr. Keenan since childhood.
“He was a very sparkly being,” said a friend, Stacie Krajchir of Los Angeles. “He had butterfly sense — no time, no boundaries, no rules. If the sun was shining, he’d let the sun kind of lead him.”
Mr. Keenan was heartbroken when his pit bull, a female named Charlie, died a year ago. Friends said they expect some part of Mr. Keenan’s memorial service will be on the beach at Fort Funston, where he used to take Charlie for walks.