Menu Foods Recall Expands Dramatically Due to Cross-Contamination

Our recall list is now up-to-date to include this expansion. Menu Foods is only 1 of several menufacturers, so please check our list for the all recalled brands. If we missed something, do let us know.

UPDATE: The expansion expands again. Menu Foods’ own press releases do NOT match up with their recall expansion list. Pet Food Tracker and PetSitUSA have worked the last several hours checking the lists and added several more brands to the recall expansion. Our recall list is now updated. Again.

ORIGINAL POST: This recall expansion covers dozens of new brands and foods — wet foods only — citing cross-contamination (corrected). This announcement comes more than a month and a half after the initial recall. The recall also expanded to include 2 varieties in Europe.

Latest from Menu Foods

Menu Foods says:

Menu Foods has previously recalled wet cat and dog food produced with adulterated wheat gluten supplied by ChemNutra Inc. Menu Foods is now expanding the recall to include cuts and gravy and select other products which do not include ChemNutra wheat gluten but which were manufactured at any of Menu Foods’ plants during the period that ChemNutra wheat gluten was used at that plant, to the extent they have not already been subject to a recall, due to the possibility of cross-contamination. Menu Foods has received a report from a customer and has received study results, both of which indicate cross-contamination.

(Hey Menu Foods, please just send us an email next time. Now we know why you visted 30 times today. Your identity will be kept confidential.)

Brands covered in expansion are listed after the jump. New brands are marked (New). Castor and Pollux’s recall of their Natural Ultramix food is included.

P.S. Keep everyone up-to-date with accurate recall lists. Put this button on your Web site. Or urge them to sign up to our Pet Safety Alert emails.

US Recall Expansion

• Meijer’s Main Choice
  • Natural Ultramix (New)
  • Nu Pet (New)
  • Nutriplan
  • Nutro
  • Paws
  • Performatrin Ultra (New)
  • Pet Pride
  • Presidents Choice
  • Price Chopper
  • Priority Canada
  • Priority US
  • Roche Brothers (New)
  • Roundy’s (New)
  • Schnucks
  • Sophistacat
  • Special Kitty Canada
  • Springfield Prize
  • Stuzzy Gold (New)
  • Triumph (New)
  • Wegmans
  • Western Family Canada (New)
  • White Rose
  • Winn Dixie
  • Your Pet (New)

Dog Food

• Authority
  • Award
  • Best Choice
  • Compliments (New)
  • Co-Op Gold (New)
  • Hannaford
  • Health Diet Gourmet Cusine (New)
  • Hill Country Fare (New)
  • Hy Vee
  • La Griffe (New)
  • Master Choice (New)
  • Natural Life
  • Nu Pet (New)
  • Ol’ Roy Canada
  • Performatrin Ultra (New)
  • Pet Pride/Good n Meaty
  • Presidents Choice
  • Priority US
  • Schnucks
  • Springfield Prize
  • Stater Brothers
  • Triumph (New)
  • Truly (New)
  • Western Family Canada (New)
  • Western Family US

• Meijer’s Main Choice
  • Natural Ultramix (NEW)
  • Nu Pet (NEW)
  • Nutriplan
  • Nutro
  • Paws
  • Performatrin Ultra (NEW)
  • Pet Pride
  • Presidents Choice
  • Price Chopper
  • Priority Canada (NEW)
  • Priority US
  • Roche Brothers
  • Roundy’s (NEW)
  • Schnucks
  • Sophistacat
  • Special Kitty Canada
  • Springfield Prize
  • Triumph (NEW)
  • Wegmans
  • Western Family Canada (NEW)
  • White Rose
  • Winn Dixie
  • Your Pet (NEW)

Dog Food:

• Authority
  • Award
  • Best Choice
  • Compliments
  • Co-Op Gold (NEW)
  • Hannaford
  • Health Diet Gourmet Cuisine (NEW)
  • Hill Country Fare (NEW)
  • Hy Vee
  • La Griffe (NEW)
  • Master Choice (NEW)
  • Natural Life
  • Nu Pet (NEW)
  • Ol’ Roy Canada
  • Performatrin Ultra (NEW)
  • Pet Pride / Good n Meaty
  • Presidents Choice
  • Priority US
  • Schnucks
  • Springfield Prize
  • Stater Brothers
  • Triumph (NEW)
  • Truly (NEW)
  • Western Family Canada (NEW)
  • Western Family US

279 Responses to “Menu Foods Recall Expands Dramatically Due to Cross-Contamination”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All

1. Genny says:

[EDITED] wonderful. Big surprise……Not! Too bad the right people don’t read this site and get a clue.

ok, i’m confused! is this a NEW wheat Gluten source? and if so, isn’t there still an unamed RPC importer out there?

3. Genny says:

[EDITED] wonderful! Big surprise! Too bad the right people don’t read this site for future clues.

4. DaveyD says:

Performatrin Ultra??? Their website says none of their food contains wheat gluten??
    Where are the IAMS & Eukanubas this time?

5. love gsdogs says:

Iams must be waiting in the wings until a late Friday press release can be issued…By the time all of the “dust” settles, there will only be a few products left standing….

6. susanUnPC says:

Guess it’s time to buy pet food with NO GRAINS of any kind. Thankfully, there are many excellent brands that offer human-grade meat and vegetables, with no grains.

7. Genny says:

Sorry for the expletive. Emergency vet trip over the weekend, Monday, Tuesday, $500 and many lost hours sleep later, I’m enraged.

8. Cat Lady says:

Is American Nutrition going to do the same thing next?

9. purringfur says:

Didn’t ChemNutra say that Menu Foods used more wheat gluten per month than they sold them?

Exactly. Let the other recalls roll in.

10. Linda says:

I can’t stand it anymore. Thank goodness we cook Puppy Stew and use either Merrick Grammies Pot Pie or Innova Evo (no grains) but really, I am struggling to call all of the people that have adopted from us and it’s scary to even recommend a food right now.

I feel so bad for anyone that has lost a pet or is currently trying to keep one healthy through this crisis.

I never liked grains, we usually use Oats, please don’t let me hear it’s in oats too. I’ll throw up.

11. purringfur says:

Was it new gluten? - I’m a little confused…
    ……………………

from pet connection site:

…” possibility of cross-contamination. Menu Foods has received a report from a customer and has received study results, both of which indicate cross-contamination.”

Are we even safe giving our pets human food now? There wont be any pet food left after awhile and I’m just wondering since this poison is in our food supply too…is that even safe to give our pets?

13. Ellie says:

Check out the Menu press release–it’s not citing a different wheat gluten source; it’s saying there was cross-contamination at the plant.

I thought I was safe feeding the Nutro Kitten food I already had on hand to my two kittens because it had no wheat gluten–now I learn I very well may have been feeding them poison, since the variety I was feeding is on the new list. I finished up the case just the other day and tossed everything in the recycling bin, so I don’t know the date codes for sure. Luckily, we have not had any symptoms of illness, but this is incredibly scary.

ITCHMO ADMIN: We stand corrected and updated the post.

14. Linda says:

I use chicken thighs in our puppy stew, I’ll kill myself if the chicken I’m giving them is contaminated.

15. xyz says:

Itchmo admin: Is it possible to highlight the permanent pet food recall link in your main heading? A couple of people have mentioned they didn’t see it. Perhaps something like “recall expanded list (+date)”.

Thanks again for keeping everyone informed.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Done.

16. River says:

And now comes the news that millions of people have eaten chickens that were fed contaminated pet food. Tyson and Perdue say theirs are safe. Mine are Foster Farms, which hasn’t said much one way or the other. I have to assume the worst. Am I still supposed to feed them to my dogs and my human family members? Dinner tonight was *supposed* to be chicken! I trust my beef and my pork; my best friend raised both and I helped feed, so I know what was in their food. But chicken is still the one meat I get from the grocery store.

17. Amber says:

This is ridiculous, I can’t believe how long this has been going on…I really hope someone takes the initiative and gets an overhaul of the whole system. Pets are increasingly becoming members of the family around the US and pet parents are spending increasing amounts of money to take care of their children! This needs to be taken seriously. Animals are important to us and to other causes, such as seeing eye dogs and animals that are used for therapy. I’m so angered that this was allowed to happen.

I only feed my babies Purina adult brand dry cat food and they have never had wet food in their lives, as I was under the impression that they really didn’t need it and it was too expensive to feed to them as it goes so quickly and dry food is so much cheaper. I’m glad now of my choice. I really hope this gets resolved soon and the government/media takes it seriously.

18. YaYa says:

I have been notifying as many places as possible about this one. PLEASE Folks Pitch-in and Spread the News!!!

Post the URL for the places you go to or Email.

That URL is http://www.menufoods.com

Have folks {TELL them} to click on the Recall links to read the Lists!

Please get the Word Out NOW! News channels etc.

Don’t let this be a Ripple in the water, It need to be a Tsunami to get Folks ATTENTION!

What a Disaster for Pet Parents!

I’ve been cooking my own Kitty food for a while Now and she’s Amazing! Her symptoms are leaving slowly but surely.

Just Make a Difference, by Pitching-in, Every little bit Counts to Some-One!

19. Kathy Thompson says:

Why are we not surprised?

20. Ann H says:

The positive side - Go Menu!! Give Congress the incentive to get some hefty fines out for this! Give Congress the incentive to really give the FDA punch power! Go Menu!! Give every government agency the will to put PFI under their thumb!!

They now know our pets health circles around thru the guagmire of PFI arrogance and “self regulation” & impacts humans - yeah, constituents that vote for them. I hope the PFI kicks Menu off their Board.

I hope and pray there is a violation in this lack of cleaning machines and time line that gets their doors locked!

If there wasn’t a boycott, there needs to be one now!

Ann H., really angry.

21. 3catmommy says:

I am not buying now (or ever) anything manufactured by Menu or American nutrition!! Check out By Natures Organics, Evangers, Merricks for an alternative!!

22. YaYa says:

Cross-Contaminations MEANS: NOT CLEANED!

Unless they’ve come up with a New definitions for it!

Desperate Men

Mars, Incorporated today announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire the global pet food operations of Nutro Products Inc., a leading manufacturer of high nutrition, high performance dog and cat foods sold in pet specialty and farm and feed stores. Closing of the purchase of Nutro from funds advised by Bain Capital Partners LLC, a global private investment firm, is subject to normal regulatory approvals which are expected to be completed within a few months. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The transaction will bring together two of the most recognized names in the petcare industry. Nutro will operate as a stand-alone organization within the Mars family of companies and will maintain its commitment to the pet specialty channel.

24. Debbie4747 says:

If anyone is interested, I have a post in the forums under “Make a Difference” to take out a full page ad in a country wide paper like USA Today expressing our concerns. If you are interested, please go over there and post some ideas. I’d like to start asking some organizations if they would like to donate, but I’m sure they’d want to see what ewe’ve got. Ideas are very much needed.
    This has to stop sometime….just has to.

25. tammy says:

I dont understand I have 2 cats that I love dearly and I feed them Iams dry hairball food is that on the list soon we wont be able to feed are animals anything there killing our pets

26. Deb says:

I was wondering when this was going to happen…..NO ONE at these plants thought to shut down to do a clean up???? What is wrong with these people…..common sense is blinded by profit?????

27. Cat Lady says:

Menu is saying “cross contamination”, but let’s remember that they are heavily invested now in blaming ChemNutra for being the only source of bad wheat gluten…

So, if it IS cross contamination, which means equipment not properly cleaned between jobs, YUCK…. and if it turns out to actually be OTHER wheat gluten that’s contaminated, (fill in the blank).

As if I hadn’t already decided no more Menu Foods, ever!

28. susanUnPC says:

Tammy, luckily you have other choices. I feed the two “indoor” cats and five homeless cats Merrick’s wet food, By Nature Organics wet food, occasional Wellness wet food + small amounts of dry kibble (Orijen or Serengeti).

I also VARY their daily meals with different Merrick’s/By Nature Organics recipes so they don’t have to eat the same old thing all the time, and so they’re not exposed to just one food type/flavor/brand.

For more info:
    FEEDING YOUR CAT: KNOW THE BASICS OF FELINE NUTRITION
    Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
    CAT DIABETES (and also how the cat’s digestive system works and what it requires)
    Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM

29. Bill says:

It’s time we put theses pigs out of business. We need to start a class action suit for covering up this stuff just for corporate profits.

Where is the US Government and the FDA?

30. lanie says:

Which manufacturing plant/plants is Menu referring to? Does anyone know if the bad wheat gluten was used in the North Dakota plant? I’m using Innova canned for my cats now in hopes of avoiding cross contamination since they said none of the recalled products were made at the North Dakota plant. Can I still hope that is true?

31. K9Rescue says:

Re Steve @9:03pm:
    I just now copied the below info from Mars.com, which mftrs pet foods including Walthams (and they own Royal Canin). I find it — ummmm, interesting — that the Mars affiliate in CHINA (yes, it mftrs pet foods there) is named “Effem”. Is that as in, “F ‘Em” ???

Home > Mars Directory > China > Effem China

Effem China
    Where we are
    Effem China is located in Huairou County, northeast Beijing, about 50 km from downtown Beijing. The mountains provide a very good natural environment and fresh air surrounds the county. Huairou County is famous for its natural landscape including the well-known Mutianyu Great Wall which makes it a popular tour destination.

Effem China also has sales offices in 5 cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenyang and Chengdu.
    What we do
    Effem China develops, produces and markets a range of snackfood and pet food products for sale in China (including Hong Kong) and for export to Japan. Our confectionery brands include DOVE, M&M’s, SKITTLES, and SNICKERS and pet food brands include PEDIGREE and WHISKAS.
    Effem China has over 500 associates in Huairou and a further 300 sales associates in different cities in China. Recruiting high caliber local talent to spearhead our success in China is one of Effem China’s key business priorities.

32. robin says:

Cat Lady,

I agree with no more Menu ever as well as no more Am. Nut, again ever. They don’t clean between runs. Hell, they might waste a pound or two of product. These jerks don’t ever deserve a second chance. They cut the corners buy buying the cheap chinese glutens, not cleaning the equipment, putting stuff in the can that wasn’t on the label, they made their own bed so let them sleep in it. Oh and don’t forget about the criminal ceo of Menu who dumped his stock prior to warning the public of the tainted food.

33. Ellie says:

Cat Lady Says:
    ——-
    Cross-contamination doesn’t exactly make Menu look good, either. The Nutro food I was using does not have any wheat gluten as an ingredient, so either there was cross-contamination, or Menu added wheat gluten the way ANI supposedly added RPC.

This is just a disaster. Seeing a food I was blithely feeding my kittens on the new list makes me sick to my stomach.

34. purringfur says:

YaYa: I just emailed all new stations within a 100 mile radius of my home. Everyone here should do the same so the new recall info gets out.

35. robin says:

It does kind of make one wonder if they even get close to matching up the ingredients on the label with what really gets dumped in the can. I’ll bet the stuff going in the cans for the so-called holistic companies is no different than what Wal-Mart buys from them.

36. Ann H says:

How much more salvage pet food went into the recycle circle from this?

Ann H, truly depressed with the mentality of PFI and it’s members.

If Menu Foods is on the board of PFI, APPMA or any other industry group and is there for another day, the whole lot of them deserves to be made part of the problem by our Congress.

“The PFI
    Washington, DC, April 26, 2007 – The Pet Food Institute (PFI), which represents U.S. pet food manufacturers, today announced it asked the U. S. Trade Representative Susan C. Schwab and the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration Andrew von Eschenbach for swift action to answer questions about how melamine, a substance foreign to pet food, ended up in specific ingredients from China.”

The needed to be cleaning up their own house.

Now, they need to ask Menu why the devil didn’t they test their products and find the cross contamination themselves!!!!! Sanction them within their own industry!! Something to prove sincerity.

Lip service to safe foods just got “rendered”.

Ann H

If Menu Foods had any cahonies, they would have done a press release to make sure people know. I have yet to see them do anything other than whine that ChemNutra did this to them.

Oh and thanks Mr. Henderson, what goes around comes around….you killed thousands of our pets, had you stepped up sooner, you could have saved so many of our loved ones, not that you care, which is obvious!

38. KatieKat says:

Sorry than was me

39. cats_in_jammies says:

Dear Itchmo
    Would it be too much to ask that you date and time your posts? With the recalls happening the way they are, it would really help to know when these posts appear on your great blog. Thank you!
    - T.S.

ITCHMO ADMIN: They already appear at the bottom of the posts in the gray block…

40. Ellie says:

lanie Says:
    —–
    They don’t specifically say, but logically you’d have cross-contamination only in the same two plants that made the food in the original recall–Kansas and I don’t remember the other one.

Natura/Innova had been saying that its food was made in a different Menu plant, and nothing from them is on the new list, so I think you’re probably still safe enough–so far.

41. JanC says:

Can’t say I’m surprised but I’m sure getting angrier by the day……I don’t think this will ever end. I feed my dog only dry…..waiting for that shoe to fall when they start recalling a bunch of dry food.

I would say anything that’s made at Menu (any plant), ANI or Diamond should be off limits for a while……I was afraid of cross contamination. Any food that’s made in any of those plants should be considered suspect. I really believe this is not the end of it. Why they are trickling in & not just recalling everything at once is beyond me.

I’m more than stressed…..I’m freaking out……

42. JollyCat says:

I still want to know WHERE DID THE OTHER TWO BATCHES OF WHEAT GLUTEN GO????????

PURINA?????

hmmmmm????????

43. Cool Dog Hall of Fame » Blog Archive » Menu Foods Recall Expands Again says:

[…] a complete list of the newly recalled Menu Food items, check out Itchmo.com’s site: http://www.itchmo.com/read/bre.....mi…. In fact, the best way to stay up-to-date on the recall situation is to sign up for Itchmo’s […]

44. Ellie says:

I wonder if Wysong is still happy with Menu.

45. CC says:

SusanUnPC or 3catmommy…

Would one of you be willing to post more info on By Nature Organics at the Pet Food List thread on that brand? I have been emailing the company for 10 days for the magnesium and phosphorus analysis, and haven’t heard back. If there are reasonably low, I’d like to try that food.

Thanks.

46. Cathi says:

I’m looking for a guy by the name of teric. He had 3 different cat foods tested and I was wondering about the results. Thanks.

47. L.L. Wright says:

Why has Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice not included on the list of recalled food, when it has in fact been recalled?
    Please up date your list accordingly.
    L.L.Wright

48. Miss Jami says:

YaYa, If I may, care to share the recipe you are feeding to your cat(s)? I took mine off manufactured food the day the recall hit and she was eating the chicken as though I were a goddess but now…won’t eat the chicken (am I shocked? they were probably fed contaminated grain) and is ’stuck’ on a fish slurry I am making. I need to get more variety in her on a larger scale…anyone?
    Thanks ever so.
    And Genny, you ‘expletive away girl!!” They need to hear it at PFI!

49. robin says:

Henderson is Canadian and Menu is on the Toronto board but they manufacture here, and I can’t see why the feds are not all over him on his stock bail-out in light of the tainted foods. Here he is putting the recall on hold until he gets finished padding his pocket while cats and dogs die. The guy should be in prison. What did he call it something like “unfortunate timing,” yes, especially for the pets eating his tainted deadly crap.

Ellie Says:

LOL!~ i can’t BELIEVE you dared to use the word *logically* ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All