Cookie, a two-year-old jindo mix, is a survivor.
She almost died from exposure to cocaine, and she is safe now, but she still has a long road ahead of her because her prognosis is not good.
Cookie, whose original name was Cocaine III, was brought to an animal shelter by animal control officers. When she first arrived, she didn’t even have the strength to lift her head.
But the veterinarian at the shelter said, “She looked like she had no energy whatsoever, yet she wagged her tail when I said ‘Hi’ to her. Then I thought, ‘This dog is going to make it. She has the spirit.’”
The county picked up Cookie’s $3,500 vet bill and her former owner has been ordered to pay restitution.
Cookie is now in a loving home, but the cocaine completely destroyed her nervous system and her condition continues to deteriorate.
It is unclear if cocaine was given to Cookie or if she found it. Tests showed cocaine in her urine, but the amount ingested could not be determined.
Now Cookie has to wear a diaper because of incontinence. She only weighs 27 pounds (on average healthy females weigh 30 to 40 pounds), and her bark is more like a whisper.
“She’s losing muscle tone even though she’s eating,” said her new owner. She and her husband have remained anonymous because they fear that Cookie’s former owner is looking for Cookie.
Even though Cookie is weak, her owners said that she still tries to be protective and doesn’t know that she is not physically able to do a lot.
Her owner added, “If Cookie could say anything, I guess she would say, ‘Don’t do drugs.’”
Cookie’s case has led animal control officers to investigate past cases and be aware of possible drug exposure situations.
Source: Grand Rapids Press