Contaminated Wheat Gluten Looks For Other Uses

Tons of melamine tainted wheat gluten earmarked for Del Monte is currently sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania because it’s too valuable to throw out. The owners are looking for an industrial, non-food use for these stockpiles.

In contrast to the safe-dilution levels we have been hearing on the FDA conference calls, the FDA’s district director Thomas Gardine says “You cannot dilute out a contaminant. The product is bad.”

The article continues:

The FDA found melamine-related compounds in the raw ingredients but, in the processed feed, only at levels too small to quantify, he said. The health risk to animals and humans is considered low, so the agency allowed the feed to be sold, he said.

The district director also says “We can think of no cognizant reason that the purposeful contamination was limited to wheat, corn and rice.”

Also, another tidbit (emphasis ours):

This week, the FDA announced that a Toledo company, Tembec BTLSR Inc., intentionally had been adding melamine and related compounds to fish and shrimp feed, and to a bonding agent, all of which a Colorado company sold or used to make livestock feed. A Tembec official said the feed was made with the same formulation for the past three years.

It just keeps getting worse.
(Thanks sieweke)

129 Responses to “Contaminated Wheat Gluten Looks For Other Uses”

1. Valerie says:

Ack!! You mean to say that Del Monte has tainted wheat gluten sitting in their warehouse!? And they were using it in the pet foods no doubt, my cats became ill, since they loved their canned catfood. Of course it didn’t show up on the recall either. As soon as I quit feeding it, my two cats were no longer ill.
    Thank you for posting this itchmo, it confirms my feeling that the canned was bad. I even wrote the company to see if they had tested the wheat gluten!
    Move along…nothing to see here!
    They should turn it into patio furniture Who knows they could be onto a breakthrough new composite!

2. Grayn says:

Delmonte makes a lot of people food too. Check the label on College Inn Chicken Broth fat free low sodium. It has wheat gluten. That was the first ingredient label I looked at in March when this started and I called the number on the can and Del Monte answered. I was on hold forever so never got to ask: would you be so kind as to tell me how much melamine is in your Chicken Broth that I have been eating my whole life AND making food for my dog with.

There really doesn’t seem to be any end in sight. I am getting really tired of cucumber sandwiches!!

Yesterday I was shopping and I did notice that now there are many many organic foods available and also many of the products are voluntarily listing country of orgin, instead of distributed by which I think is great especially if the ingredients are simple and don’t seem to come from China. If the ingredients are suspect and there is no country of origin, I won’t buy it, period, the end.

At the market, I saw a young man buying tons of the supermarket brand chicken as it is VERY cheap right now as is pork. I had to say something. I said you know why that is so cheap don’t you. He didn’t, so I told him. He said that’s Ok I am young and healthy. I said Ok, I hope you have strong kidneys. I am sure he didn’t really understand. *sigh*

The people who are making these grossly negligent decisions about our life and death could care less about us. They won’t be in power in 10 years when we are all out hunting for healthy kidneys so what do they care. It won’t be their problem and they know that.

3. e wem says:

Tons of gluten. I guess Del Monte loves us tons.

This is just the stuff the FDA caught. How many years and how many tons of love from Del Monte China have been going into our food.

If they loved us enough to buy tons and tons of love from China where were the ads bragging about the good Chinese ingredients in their food stuffs?

Imaginary commercial:

‘You can trust us, after all we use tons and tons of good stuff from Chinese biotech firms in our canned goods. MMM-mmm-mmm. Love that Chinese biotech product.

Some companies use American ingredients but we went all the way to China just for you!

It saved us tons of money aaaaaand we still didn’t lower our prices. Remember - if it isn’t made by Americans it has to be good for business’

Note to FDA: Here’s a chance for you to keep tons of tainted wheat gluten out of the food supply.

Why don’t you yo-yo’s DO SOMETHING for a change?

I’m betting that we’ll hear “Whoops, we “mistakenly sold it to XYZ, Inc. and now it’s in baby food.”

5. xyz says:

Too valuable to throw out.

That about says it all.

Btw, wasn’t that wheat flour, not wheat gluten?

6. Carol says:

Reading DelMonte’s website -a posting in April really leads one to believe they wouldn’t have tons of this!!! Tons of deceit to go around too—I can think of one thing they can do with that “gluten”.

7. xyz says:

5CatMom-re: XYZ, Inc.
    I won’t take it personally. :

8. MarySmith says:

Quote:
    *Tons of melamine tainted wheat gluten earmarked for Del Monte is currently
    sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania because it’s too valuable to throw out.*

*earmarked for Del Monte* - It does NOT say that *Del Monte* owns it! What company really is the owner????

To XYZ,

So sorry. I should have said “ABC, Inc”. That wasn’t directed toward a fellow ITCHMO blogger. LOL.

10. Ellie says:

I really don’t understand all this: we’ve been importing food ingredients from China for years, China has been spiking food with melamine for years, it’s clearly been in our food supply, both pet and human. At this point I wonder how it’s possible anymore that there’s food that ISN’T showing some level of contamination!

Why did these particular batches of ingredients suddenly cause these massive problems?

Does anyone know whether melamine builds up over time in the body or eventually is processed out?

11. MarySmith says:

From PC:
    *The wheat gluten being held in an Allegheny County warehouse was destined for Pittsburgh-based Del Monte Pet Products, but that company never bought or received any of that shipment, Gardine said.*

So Del Monte never recieved the shipment, but who owns it now???

12. xyz says:

5CatMom- A little levity amid the insanity.

I’m still wondering about fish oil, though. Tried contacting one brand off their site and the highlighted e-mail address’s didn’t work. Has anyone checked into oils for purity?

13. Gerry says:

Send it back to China!

14. maddy says:

Why would it take this long to discover that a melamine product, happening for years, was destined for pet food?

There was also a fish lot destined for pet food. where is it? and the fish? Joining the rest of the fish and fish meal destined for humans and pets.
    What king of fish are affected? assume farm raised but how many types? salmon, cod? shrimp - why haven’t they said?

I know we have been eating this for years in all kinds of products - and the organic industry who are diluting themselves are skimming the surface of their own problems - but I would like to know if the fish in my cat’s food is ok? Not to much to ask? or the chicken? ect?

I also would like a list myself of who, when, where to avoid? Not too much to ask -

15. KAEfamily says:

The majority of food sold at our local Trader’s Joe is from China. So much for organic products :-(

Good Ol’ Boy’s
    Telling Lies

Bout Time, we got WISE

Am casting my vote here for who I think the tainted wheat gluten belongs to. Two we are aware of–CN & DI–imported would-be wheat gluten. DI was the company introduced to CN’s Chinese supplier and DI sold its wheat gluten to the fish feed manufacturer in CA.

The other two, W-E and CB, ordered RPC, which turned out to be adulterated wheat flour, just as the “wheat gluten” above did. W-E sold some of its “RPC” outright to various PF companies, and some went to CB, who then sold it to other PF companies, such as RC. Don’t think the wheat gluten belongs to either W-E or CB, because neither of them started out trying to import wheat gluten. Also, the provider of the phony RPC is a different source than that of the phony wheat gluten–two different Chinese companies–one exporting phony RPC and the other–phony wheat gluten.

Here’s a link from a not so old story and a quote from it:

“He rents space in five warehouses around the country and provides a variety of pet food ingredients to manufacturers and pet food ingredient distributors.”

This is who I believe owns the wheat gluten in the warehouse in PA.

18. Grayn says:

Kaefamily,
    I noticed that as well. When I asked the manager at the TJ where they got their “organic” chicken from she was very abrupt with me and said none of our products have been involved. I said well actually that is not really true. Let’s not forget that you recalled your pet food. I think I may now be banned from the TJ store. She was very rude and kept looking around like she wanted to make sure no one was listening to our conversation.

19. furmom says:

Other uses for contaminated Wheat Gluten:
    1) Textile printing process could use wheat gluten to scavenge formaldehyde.
    2) Ship it to China. They can find a use for wheat gluten I’m sure.

20. Tom Paine says:

On April 30, 2007 the New York Times, CBS, and other media sites reported that contamination of animal food with melamine was a common, widespread practice in China. This is from the CBS News website on that date:

“The mildly toxic chemical melamine is commonly added to animal feed in China, a manager of a feed company and one of the chemical’s producers said Monday, a process that boosts the feed’s sales value but risks introducing the chemical into meat eaten by humans.

“Customers either don’t know or aren’t concerned about the practice, said
    Wang Jianhui, manager of the Kaiyuan Protein Feed company in the northern city of Shijiazhuang.

“We’ve been running the melamine feed business for about 15 years and receiving positive responses from our customers,” Wang told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

“Using the proper quantity of melamine will not harm the animals. Our products are very safe, for sure,” Wang said. ”

NOTICE he said he has been running the business for fifteen years. The obvious inference is that melamine contamination to food products could go back at least that far.

One thing has happened over that time. The autism rate in children has increased to 1 in 150 births. This once-rare phenomenon is now an every day diagnosis, although not for the families.

21. Lisa says:

Hope they don’t put it in my cat litter!

Grayn

if i remember correctly, TJ’s pulled all their product to be safe. something many retailers/brands could have done but didn’t.

furmom,
    i would rather have it destroyed than shipped back. they would just re-import it because it would stand a 99% chance of getting through, especailly if the mislabeled it as something not on the watch list . . .

23. furmom says:

More uses for contaminated Wheat gluten:
    On the basis of all results, and for demonstrating a technical feasibility, wheat gluten was successfully processed by different techniques such as brushing, casting, and spraying into films and coatings on substrates as glass, polyethylenes and poly(styrene). More precise assays were performed on Leneta testcards using talc, titanium dioxide and carbon as fillers. Very good adhesion was obtained with talc which seems to have the most useful properties as fillers. Thermomoulding of native and modified gluten and of gluten fraction was also performed after controlled thermomechanical treatments either in a mixer or by extrusion. Mechanical spectrum of thermomoulded gluten is globally similar to that of synthetic polymers except that transition from glassy to rubbery behaviour extends over a broader range of time.
    So don’t throw that wheat gluten out. If you don’t want to eat it, there are poor starving children in China .

ITCHMO ADMIN: Furmom, about this line: “If you don’t want to eat it, there are poor starving children in China.”
    We really hope that you are being sarcastic.

24. furmom says:

And as to why this batch caused the problem, for one thing I’m not sure there weren’t low grade problems before. Our previous cats lived on an “organic” diet of mice they had to go catch themselves. They were very healthy. This is the first cat I fed cat food to, and suddenly I have a cat with urinary problems, long before there was a recall. On home prepared/raw he is fine, on cat food he has urinary problems. After 25 years of feeding our dogs “whatever was around”, leftovers from a family of five, our dogs were healthy, rarely needed a vet. I feed dog food and I got a dog with epilepsy and lymphoma. Didn’t take long to make the connection. My current dog is fine on home made/raw, on dog food, or when sneaking kitty kibble he has skin lesions, infected ears, and he’s still young, so it’s back to home prepared.

“Detention without physical examination of wheat gluten due to the presence of melamine”

What happened to that concept?

Remember that FDA alert regarding this.

27. Tom Paine says:

The local Pennsylvania FDA is broadening its investigation to human food manufacturers. From today’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked to at Pet Connection):

“The investigation is still in its infancy, and none of Pennsylvania’s 2,100 [human] food manufacturers has been investigated yet as part of the surveillance.

“The FDA and Customs and Border Protection are sampling all wheat gluten, corn gluten and rice protein concentrate from all countries and selectively testing nearly a dozen other vegetable proteins, Gardine said.

“We can think of no cognizant reason that the purposeful contamination was limited to wheat, corn and rice,” Gardine said. ”

Again, the obvious: there is no reason to think it was limited to wheat, corn or rice, and therefore there is no reason NOT TO BELIEVE it is widespread within the human food supply.

The article is based on honest statements from an FDA investigator. (What do you think that by Monday, once the word has gotten out to Washington, he will be forced to back pedal his statements or lose his job, and the FDA will put out a major media blitz denying it?)

Please read the complete article. It is a must read.

28. Ann H says:

I think I know the ulterior motive behind all of this - the drug companies that sell anti-depressants.

(sarcasm fyi)

Ann at 11:40 am

Doctors pills give you brand new ills
    And the bills bury you like an avalanche.

30. Maureen says:

Sorry if this was posted on a previous thread.

Go over to petconnection.com and see this:
    Comment by Don — June 1, 2007 @ 11:06 pm

Don’t cat died in January. He had her food tested by an independent lab and it came up positive for acetaminophen and cyanuric acid.

There’s a new one for me: acetaminophen! Tylenol! It’s highly toxic to cats, and slightly less so for dogs.

He references his website on this posting that shows the test results and more. Just when you thought you could crawl out from under the bed.

Tylenol????

WTF (excuse my french) is TYLENOL doing in there? Thats deadly to animals.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Maureen says:

Here’s a link as to how toxic acetaminophen is for cats, especially, and dogs:

News on the tainted toothpaste:

Report: Contaminated Toothpaste Turns Up at Several U.S. Locations
    Saturday, June 02, 2007

“Contaminated toothpaste exported from China have been shipped to several ports in the United States, the New York Times reported.

“The toothpaste, which reportedly contains a poison used in antifreeze, has turned up in Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico, according to the Times.

NYT has a story–link below–registration required to read it.

34. Tom Paine says:

Sorry, folks, I hope this is the last posting, but then again . . . . .

The McClatchy Newspapers are reporting on Chinese drug safety issues, and the inherent conflicts of interest involved in reporting public health violations by manufacturers.

This is the article from Friday: China-made drugs under scrutiny by Tim Johnson - McClatchy Beijing Bureau

A longer, more complete version of the article was originally published on Thursday with the title “China Has Cornered the Global Market for Vitamins.”

From New Zealand, a denial that China had any role in the contaminated toothpaste.

China denies role in toxic toothpaste
    TVNZ June 2, 2007

“Employees at a Chinese company named by US officials as makers of tainted toothpaste has denied it had used a poisonous chemical in its products, reacting to the latest scare about China’s consumer goods.

“”It is not allowed. There are restrictions limiting its use,” said an employee at Suzhou City Jinmao Daily Chemicals Co. Ltd., when asked about diethylene glycol (DEG).

“An employee at a second enterprise named by US officials, Goldcredit International Trading Co. Ltd., said the company did not export to the United States but declined to comment further.

“US officials said using the affected brands, which include Cooldent, Clean Rite and Oralmax, presented a low risk to human health but that chronic use, particularly among children or those with kidney or liver disease, could be problematic.

“Chinese authorities have defended the quality of locally made goods, saying the vast majority of its exports met quality standards.”

This NYT link above via Google news should let you read the NYT Times story without registering:

“Agency officials said they found toothpaste containing a small amount of diethylene glycol, a sweet, syrupy poison, at a Dollar Plus retail store in Miami, sold under the brand name ShiR Fresh Mint Fluoride Paste. The F.D.A. also identified nine other brands of Chinese toothpaste that contain diethylene glycol, some with concentrations of 3 percent to 4 percent.

“But diethylene glycol was not listed on the label of the toothpaste found in the Miami store. Its presence was detected only because the F.D.A. began testing imported Chinese toothpaste last month. That precaution was prompted by the discovery in Latin America of tens of thousands of tubes of tainted toothpaste made in China.

“Chinese regulators said Thursday that their investigation of toothpaste manufacturers there had found they had done nothing wrong. Chinese officials also said that while small amounts of diethylene glycol could be safely used in toothpaste, new controls would be imposed on its use in toothpaste.

“Mr. Arbesfeld (FDA) said that six tubes were confiscated there and that several more were found at the store’s distributor. Those tubes were destroyed. F.D.A. officials also said they had confiscated several brands of toothpaste at the Port of Los Angeles and at a retail store in Puerto Rico.”

Two different stories from China–one that it isn’t permitted, therefore it wasn’t in there when the toothpaste was made in China–and another which says small amounts of the chemical are permitted (there) in toothpaste.

36. Not Asleep at the Wheel says:

From The Standard, China’s business newspaper:

Polluted Lake Spurs Race for Water

“Authorities in a major mainland city issued emergency orders Thursday to stem panic water-buying after heavy pollution in a lake contaminated drinking supplies for millions of people.”

[major snip]

“The industrial city on the lower reaches of the Yangtze river relies on the once scenic Tai Lake for its drinking supplies.

“Photos showed the lake choked in a thick green-blue muck interspersed with floating garbage.

“The lake has been under stress for years as untreated sewage from towns and villages, as well as the region’s booming chemical and light manufacturing industries, left its water choked with pollutants.”

Read the full article here: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/.....r=20070601

37. Pit Bull Lover says:

menusux, you’re such a good detective. Thanks for the link to the ChemNu…er, I mean, *CN* article.

Were the PF manufacturers/facilities who had been receiving CN’s pois… (Oops!) *products* ever fully traced/identified? I wonder who’s supplying PF ingredients to Del Monte — and others — now.

38. thomas says:

Who stands to loose a ton of money on this dangerous wheat gluten that is to valuable to call trash? Is it an American company with a factory in China? Does anyone else wonder if the FDA and USDA are trying to cover up for some big money influential outfit?Lets remember this not only when we shop also when we vote.

39. Pit Bull Lover says:

BTW, am I the only person who doesn’t follow the usual corporate instruction “to discard the tainted product” (unless it’s highly perishable) when I’ve bought something that’s later recalled?

That’s not trash. It’s *evidence*.

40. Rick says:

For those who may be interested, there is a great website that gives the 411 on many products that we use on our bodies (makeup, skincare, body wash/lotions, etc.) and the chemicals they contain. What’s nice is they actually tell you what products ARE SAFER to use. Please let others know about it.

also:

Pit Bull Lover Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Going back to that article at:

It says that Menu Foods was ONE of the PF companies this company supplied. Menu is the only one who has publicly said that they were doing business with this company and have instituted legal proceedings against them. The article says that Menu was the only client lost (and Menu went public with that themselves), so there are or were as of May 20, 2007, 17 other clients of this company. Some may not be in the PF business, as they have dealings in additives for human food and pharmaceuticals.

DM has never gone public with who their suppliers were then or are now.

Forgot to add that DM has also never gone public with a denial that they never have or do not do business with this company as many other PF manufacturers have done on their websites.

43. Pit Bull Lover says:

menusux, I was hoping I’d just missed/forgotten this info because my head is overwhelmed by the official trickle-down recalls, disinformation, and redactions versus the excavated clues and facts posted to sites like Itchmo. Alas, we are still woefully in the dark.

What are you feeding your animals?

Pit Bull Lover,

I’m feeding Flint River Ranch–Adult & Puppy formula. The shelter was feeding this when I adopted my guy, so I stayed with it. He’s been eating FRR ever since he was rescued and since there have been no problems with FRR, I don’t find any reason to change foods.

In case you want to support these folks:

46. DMS says:

Tom Paine Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 11:39 am

=———————-
    Can anyone think of one good reason this was not done immediately? I know the thought occurred to me immediately upon hearing about the “gluten” and I stopped buying anything with gluten that was not organic. I called the FDA, reps, manufacturers asking them about testing food-most could not see the relevance. At best, from the FDA, “no indications.” What is a good indication of a potential problem? Poisoned pet food?

47. JM says:

Pit Bull Lover:

No, you are not alone. I’m saving all my “evidence”, just in case I need to have it tested. I same unopened cans from each case of food I buy and portions of each bag.

I threw away the Lean Cuisine I was going to eat for supper last night when I saw that wheat gluten was the second ingredient on the label.

You best believe these companies Lawyers are calling all the shots about what is said and what isn’t said.

Gamesmanship

Let’s try to put the pieces together:

Page 2
    “In November 2006, Menu Foods bought wheat gluten from THE COMPANY for the first time…. Althought this was our first purchase of wheat gluten from THE COMPANY, we had purchased other ingredients from THE COMPANY in the past.”

“There is no FDA standard for human grade wheat gluten, but Menu intends that all wheat gluten we use should be suitable for use in human foods.”

Page 3
    “THE COMPANY promised Menu Foods that it could deliver high-quality wheat gluten that satisfied the requirements set forth in the Material Specification.”

Page 1
    “Our US customers are manufacturers of pet food, and nutritional ingredients who want high quality, the best service, and the most competitive prices.”

Page 3
    “It’s important to note that on March 8th, when THE COMPANY ceased shipments of its wheat gluten, we had only four customers for that product, one of which was Menu Foods.”

OK–nothing to distinguish between human and non-human food quality of wheat gluten–no FDA standards to separate them. We see that Menu was a client of THE COMPANY in the past for PF ingredients other than wheat gluten. (This may be a key to some of the unexplained illness prior to the melamine recalls.)

We also see for the record, that the first shipment of wheat gluten from THE COMPANY to Menu was in November 2006. (This fits into the timeframe regarding owners reporting illnesses as far back as December 2006.)

And we see that in March 2007, THE COMPANY had four wheat gluten clients–Menu was one of the four. But we also see that THE COMPANY is, according to its website, again offering to sell imported wheat gluten:

“We specialize in Taurine, L-Cysteine, Glycine, Vital Wheat Gluten, and Glucuronolactone, and we also handle many other ingredients.”

And we also see that their blog had technical difficulties as of May 25 and seems to still not be reconstructed:

“We have reconstructed the posts on the Blog which suffered technical difficulties yesterday. While most have their original dates, others do not. Later in the day we should have all of the original links and pages posted.

“This entry was posted on Friday, May 25th, 2007 at 6:42 am”

Have not found anything which rules out the seller/buyer relationship surmised above. There were still three other “wheat gluten” clients when you subtract Menu from the 4. If the statement contained in the May 20, 2007 news story link below is true, then there are still three of them left, and 17 in total for all products.

51. Sandy says:

Color me not so shocked..I am still wondering when Fancy Feast and some Purina products….are recalled…it is voluntary so they may never do it but I lost 2 cats and have another with CRF all they have in common daily was…..fancy feast the last 3 years.

DISCLAIMER…I suspect but do not know it is just my feeling based on my sick cats, Wellness and Purinia they seems way too quiet. I am not shocked on De Monte…..heck these people are not forced to recall its voluntary so I refused to deal with them. I have some not much but some respect for the companies that did pull their stuff…they COULD have kept hiding it like….the ones I suspect

There was a very sick dog at the vet this morning and I overheard the exam. Not once was the owner asked what food he fed nor did he bring up diet with the vet. The dog had diarrhea that was out of control. God I hope somebody helps that poor baby, it looked like such a sweet and sad animal, it was breaking my heart.

53. Flamin says:

Don’t ship it back to China! They will continue to feed it to their own people, and animals. We will put a stamp on it, says it been approved “organic” & Feed it to the global elite, & those who profited from the deaths, and illness of people and animals.

Hey it’s only fair, since the think it’s so dam valuable, let them eat it!

I don’t want it to be used as patio furniture, fertilizer, Nothing!

Don’t burn it to get rid of it, it will only add more pollution into the atmosphere. Don’t dump it into the oceans, our marine life is already being destroyed.

Have them eat it, it’s the only way!

54. jean s says:

to Lisa:

I’d never thought about litter until you mentioned it! I started thinking, my litter is wheat, what about binders for clumping, etc. Happy to report that Swheat Scoops wheat litter has a statement on their web-site about the recalls and that all their wheat is 100% Minnesota and Midwest grown–nothing added!

It also works great!

55. JustMe says:

Sandy,

Could you elaborate on your post, speficially the comment about Wellness? I’m feeding all my cats Wellness and need to know if you have or have heard of a problem with it. Thanks.

56. JustMe says:

to Jean S,

Makes me wonder why of why can’t these company use our Minnesota and midwest grown wheat in “food” rather than importing it.

57. Jay says:

I wonder if it might be wise to randomly test pet food from as long ago as Summer, 2006. I know this is probably a difficult order just to find the foods themselves. I have a number of packets and cans that as far I know are not on the recall list though some other lot numbers of the same foods were.

We know the usual suspects: the melamine, the cyanuric acid, etc., but I have become curious as to what is IN THE FOOD as a RULE, not an exception. What did they fill with? Are the counts on the can accurate? Are the proportions correct and what manipulative trickery may have been used to give the illusion of quality?

I am curious if there is a way to analyze a food for all of its constituents, checking for freshness, foreign matter, drugs, uncatalogued chemicals, hazards like heavy metals and other pollutants, and other equally disastrous ingredients which would impact pets (and humans also). Also, things for which my imagination is inadequate to even contemplate.

So far, I am guessing that the labs have been searching for specific chemicals or poisons. I think this because have not seen new items added to the list of toxins since the beginning of the outrage. Not necessarily deadly contents, but hardly helpful ingredients placed in these food as a “profit” supplement. I would like to see a complete breakdown of a variety of foods stretching over these many months. And if by chance, some unopened cans prior to the influx of foreign, cheap, and risky additives could be located, it would be an interesting tell of how the industry sold itself away.

An expensive project no doubt, but it might put the seal on why so many of us have lost animals or seen them deteriorate long before their time, and long before this latest episode.

A Menu Foods customer: Life’s Abundance — Avoid!

58. Jay says:

jean s Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 3:48 pm
    to Lisa:

I’d never thought about litter until you mentioned it!

I thought of this immediately when my cat became ill in late December. The only thing I had changed in the last few months prior. I had gone from Fresh Step to Arm&Hammer clump. I was always a little turned off that it would stick to his paws and he would try to clean them. Even when I used a wet rag, it was a hard job — one that wasn’t appreciated by the cat as you can imagine.

Still, those were innocent times and I couldn’t conceive that anything harmful would be allowed on the shelf… period. Silly me!

It was the food that killed him but this is a worthwhile pursuit. Goodness knows what these companies would think would be acceptable.

59. Katie says:

XYZ,

You asked about fish oil. I’m using fish oil for my dog. I chose to use fish oil made for humans. I don’t trust any made for pet products anymore. Carlson Fish Oil - which I purchased at a health food store is filtered, and assayed for all heavy metals. I would recommend you look for filtered/distilled and assayed oil.
    Unfiltered and unassayed can be high in mercury, etc.

Katie

60. Katie says:

Tembec has been doing this for three years!! and they don’t feel obligated to be licensed…. etc. The corporations in this country and the world are out of control! Their Greed, lack of ethics and morals - And, I wish I could say I would be surprised at whom the other 3 purchasers of CN ingredients are but it won’t. It’s a freight train out of control and the US government doesn’t seem to give two hoots!

Katie

61. KatieKat says:

Valuable to who?!? Just ship the stuff back!

FDA, Haven’t you figured out consumers want nothing to due with Melamine tainted products!

62. doug says:

Looks like the FDA has more problems than just food, check out this story. Notice the old, we only check one percent…..thing again

Hmm I wonder if there is even one (not one percent, just one) honest, ethical person running a large corporation.

63. kellie says:

too valuable to throw out??

what i dont get is it’s tainted. so why can’t it be returned or why won’t del-monte, a LARGE company demand they take it back and reimburse the buyers?

How can we import stuff with no return policy to CHINA if it’s poison?
    There needs to be some repurcussion to China when they do violate safety and health standards. they need to be able to stand behind the stuff they export to us and offer to replace it or make amends financially if the products are substandard.

my wish is too stop importing all the things we can produce right here at home and then STRICTLY regulate it so our own companies greed won’t harm us either.

It seems it would be much easier for the under staffed FDA to monitor the US companies better than trying to regulate shipments from all over the world.

I don’t think all trade should halt, we should be able to receive goods that can’t be produced here, but the stuff that can needs to be returned to U.S. production and we need to be willing to pay a bit more to put our farmers and textile industry back to work at a wage they can live off of.

64. Trudy Jackson says:

Would anyone ever have believed this last year?
    Anyway, where does sugar come from? and is there any natural sugar in the USA? If so please let Me know.
    What kind of cat food had the tylinol in it?
    And I take all kinds of vit,from Wal mart [no more]. My cat with heart problems is on baby asprin, My husband too. I am on anti-depressions, anti-anxiety meds. No wonder? But I do wonder if they are safe?
    I’ve lost over 3 cats in the last year. Now I know why. this is heartbreaking and horrible. My dog spent the week at the vets, etc. I can’t take anything more from china. And i won’t buy another thing from there.

65. Trudy Jackson says:

Does anyone know anything about a company called Ciscofoods? Thanks,

66. kellie says:

too valuable to throw out??

How can we import stuff with no return policy to CHINA if it’s poison?

The product is poison, how is it valuable?
    It should be destroyed or at least put through a flitering process(if there is one) capable of taking out the melamine. If not send it back and make CHINA absorb the costs.

I wouldn’t be so adament about Chinese imports being stopped if they took responsibilty for their actions, helped reimburse the U.S. companies and people who received the poison products and worked hard and righteously to restore our faith in products from their country. Seems like good buisness sense to me.
    Show remorse and be willing to do ANYTHING necessary to begin to make up for what they’ve done.

No one can bring back lost pets or undo damage but they could get their s**t together and try to bulid a decent buisness reputation.

Who am i kidding? lol.
    the idea that you can still get ahead by being honest and just to your fellow man has gone out of humanity it seems.

I don’t understand the deceptive and harmful mentality that has infested most og humanity in this age of our evolution.

It’s so sad. If everybody just gave the slightest care towards the rest of humanity intead of themselves the world would be a beautiful place to live instead of being plagued with greed, no conscience, immorality, inhumanity, rogue and dangerous science used for all the wrong things….I hate to sound like Ghandi or something but it just saddens me so deeply.
    Being alive and filled with the capacity to love is such a gift that the world is throwing away more and more each day.

I just don’t understand it. i’m just wired differently i guess. it’s all made me so jaded and such a recluse that i don’t trust anyone not to have a selfish agenda these days.

67. kellie says:

Trudy,
    I do know that cisco or Sysico or however it’s spelled, if its even the same as you mean, supplied almost every resturant i ever worked for. that’s alot.
    i worked at everything from a Big Boy to 4 star bistros over an 8 yr period.

The company i mean is a large supplier of everything food to most resturant and food service places. produce, dairy, meat, seafood, etc.

68. Trudy Jackson says:

It’s probably the same company. My son-in-law works for Blackwater USA. and thst’s the comapny that supplies them with food. I need to figure out where the food supplies come from. thanks,

69. kellie says:

I’m guessing from ALL OVER. They are the monopoly of food service suppliers. Like I said out of about 15 resturants of all types and ethnic specialties EVERY single one had them as their main supplier here in michigan.

That’s alot of food. i doubt you’ll be able to find out the many sources of their products. good luck. i don’t mean that sarcastically either, i just mean it would be like trying to get Kraft foods to reveal the source og every ingredient used in their hundreds of products.

They may even supply supermarkets too, i wouldnt doubt it, they are basically the only food trucks i ever even see on the roads or freeways.

70. kellie says:

sorry for the half double post.
    itchmo has been acting all weird for me lately, won’t load, double posts, errors, page time outs, whenever i refresh the little load bar bottom of my browser goes nuts and loads about 20 things instead of just one page.

i scanned for spyware and adware and viruses, and nothing came up.

maybe itchmo changed the layout or a few of the new ads are causing the page faults.

71. Leslie k says:

JustMe- Wellness doesn’t make their own foods anymore. Some of their cans are made at Menu. If the code starts with an S or C followed by 1,2,3,4 it is made at Menu. Also some of their dry is made at ANI. They are testing & backtested saved samples. However my neighbors dog is having the runs since she bought a new bag.

72. mittens says:

not once was i asked, in late april/ early may, when i brought my hyperthyroid elderly cat into the emergency( she wouldn’t eat, her back legs were wobbly and she was clearly dehydrated. all of a sudden. fine at night. completely ill the next morning-easily symptoms of poisoning and/or what now adays passes for just eating mass produced pet food) what kind of food she was eating although we were well into the recalls and they were still rolling in.

i was very bothered at the time by this-after all ,i’m the one paying the huge ER bill and i want to know what’s wrong with my cat and i want you as you are getting paid for it to get to it and track it down THOURGHLY. her symptoms were very close to those of pet food murdered pets. they asked about poisons she could have gotten into and about the medications she was on but not a peep about the food. when i brought food up, more as an aside to try to lure them onto commenting or inquiring, they could’t wait to shut me up- i got a nervous ‘ uh-huh’ and the topic was spun right away in another unrelated direction.

this was a specialized referral and emergency vet hospital - filled with specialists of every sort. you’d think that they’d keep up on things like , oh, a rash of mysteriously ill pets flooding their damn profession with cats and dogs who were perfectly healthy and not exposed accidentally to any household poison going into complete renal failure at an assortment of ages . no vet i have seen since the recall- and i had to go for shots, adopted 2 cats and had a paw wound looked at and a hyperthyroid cat in and out of the hospital- no one EVER mentioned food. not once. don’t they care? don’t they stay informed? why wouldn’t you, as a matter of course ,remind your patients of the pet food recall particularly if they have ill pets who would be more vulnerable to any such thing?

it still bothers me . we had a batch of egg product come into my bakery that was bad, even though it’s use by date was ok. something went wrong at the manufacturer. i tracked down every spec of product it was used in and threw it out, even though no one complained or got sick because we caught it before anything actually went out. then i gave an ear splitting tirade to the company we get our eggs from. now i personally check every container that comes in. and this was not something that killed or sickened anyone. animals died and the profession that is dedicated to their care at a not, i might add, cheap price, are pussy footing around and playing games with us or trying to keep mum about…something.

i am increasingly leery of vets, pills, all food and just who is being served by the whole pet industry that americans spend more on then any other people on the face of the earth. the more that does and more importantly doesn’t come out the more i am led to think ,in an X files like manner, that it is all lies and the greater trruth about what actually did happen is being spun away. now, as mentioned above, someone found acetaminophen( known to be, unlike melamine, absolutely deadly in cats in particular) in unrecalled pet food- just what the F is going on? every day it’s worse the more tiny rays of light manage to peck their way out the morass of cover ups and perhaps outright lies. i though the more we knew the closer we’d be to resolution. it just keeps getting more tangled and knotted up.i feel torn in a million directions with my cat’s lives on the line and i am not given enough truthful information to ever be able to do what’s right for them.

73. Lynn says:

We’ve learned that the FDA really doesn’t pay attention when it affects pets, but I’ll bet if it affects kids, it will.

Don’t mean to be an alarmist or sadistic, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to start tracking the number of monthly deaths here in the US of children 12 months old and younger. How does one get that information in a timely fashion? Anyone know?

Trudy Jackson Says:
    June 2nd, 2007 at 9:32 pm

Trudy, you’ve been through more than anyone should be able to endure. Please know that lots of us that read this site send our best wishes and support to you.

You asked what food was found to be contaminated by acetaminiphen, the Tylenol generic, which is highly toxic to cats and for dogs, though not as severely toxic.

The cat foods are described on http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/ (see the June 2, 2007 posting). Pet Pride (Krogers) and a Hill’s Science Diet product…

75. Maureen says:

Anonymous again, above. I keep forgetting to put in my name…

76. Lynn says:

Horror of horrors, I have this god-awful feeling that little by little as time creeps on, one food industry manufacturer/supplier after another is going to admit to using source products containing melamine or cyanuric acid or other toxic fillers…..and will announce they’ve been using it for years.

Start planting your own gardens, I say. Or bring back the good old trust-worthy farmer.

77. mittens says:

trudy-

the pet food allegedly with acetaminophen was pets’ pride turkey and giblets and mixed grill and apaparently what was an un bagged sample of hill’s science dry-

sysco is indeed a large national food supplier to the supermarket and restaurant industry. we do not use them but use a more local company although sysco is very prominant in my area.

lovely free trade agrements with other countries are closing down sugar producing american plants. here’s everything about sugar form the us producers-

78. DMS says:

Thank God for Pennsylvania.

79. Robert Davis says:

I was visiting with friends this weekend, and a condiment we use calleg Maggi comes from China and it had Wheat Gluten in it. I wonder if it might be tainted since it came from China?

Does anyone know how other products can be tested for the contaminates?

Thanks

Robert

80. JJ says:

In regard to the tylenol I was going thru vitamins to check and email co’s where they got contents from and found on a bottle of vit. B Microcrystalline Cellulose. Did a search and one of the components of the Microcrystalline Cellulose is acetemenophin (tylenol). So now it is in the pet food? People better check any vitamins, supplements, human food/drinks along with all pet food and pet treats too. No wonder the food was so toxic to our beloved pets - WTF is tylenol doing in it? Is tylenol not bad for the kidneys and ibuprofen bad for the liver? Now we need to know what and who is adding tylenol and maybe other chemicals like this to the food supply.

81. DMS says:

ROBERT, Midwest Labs tests human foods. I am going to send a few samples there myself. Just trying to work out a few details. Here is the person I have been communicating with. There may be someone nearer to you, though. You could try the yellow pages.
    brent@midwestlabs.com
    I saw there add here on itchmo.

82. DMS says:

JJ, where did you find the components of microcrystalline cellulose? All I can find is that it is a binder made from refined cellulose.

83. Gerry says:

Killie….I didnt know it but Kraft foods now owns boca burgers. Who knows what is in them and where they are made now.

84. Jenny Bark says:

I can’t believe it, The county airport where the melamine is stored is about 8 miles from me. 2 miles if you fly like a bird. It is real small and almost all the hangeers are filled if not all of them. Most if not all of the hangers have windows in them. The airport is on top of the hill, Does melamne fly in the wind? Did they fing a new way to give it to us, maybe in the air and into the lungs ? I’m p!!!!!.

85. JJ says:

Not Asleep at the Wheel 6-2 12:44pm post - the link story last paragraph states: more than 70% of China’s waterways & 90% of its underground water are contaminated by pollution.

My question is where do they obtain the water to water/irrigate the organic crops they are growing over there? Do they use this same polluted water with all the gunk and garbage floating in it? People can’t even drink it out of the taps cause it’s coming out all green and when bathing with it they smell like it afterwards. So again where is the water from on the organic let alone any of the crops they grow and what do their animals drink too-this same polluted water? The percantage of polluted water is extremely high, dont you think?

86. Jenny Bark says:

My husband just did some electric work for Del Monte about 10 weeks ago. He said it is very clean and don’t be afraid to buy anything from them. They also make other store brands but I forgot what brands he said they where. I’m going to make his day when I tell him when he gets up. I am going to call the FDA Monday & tell them where they can put their melamine. They can also eat it, after all it is safe for us all to eat it, they should have to eat it too.

87. JJ says:

DMS I just did a search (I have yahoo-sbc browser) so just typed in those two words and went to different sites and found this on one of them after I read thru many paragraphs and this just popped out. I still have the bottle with a few of the vit. B’s in it. I will have to do a search again to find the site and give you all the url for it. It sure made my eyes pop open and say WTF is it doing in there? Now see on here today they found it in pet food so no doubt it is in human food too.

88. Gerry says:

Does the movie…soylent green come to mind???? Scarey..

89. Jenny Bark says:

JJ
    I believe I read somewhere they put the chicken coops over the water so the fish could feed on their droppings.

90. JJ says:

Jenny Bark yes your right about the chicken coops. I just read that couple of weeks ago and posted it in the forums on here. Makes you sick doesn’t it? Letting the chickens poop in the cage suspended over the water the fish farms are at and the fish eat it then they sell the fish. And we’re being told to not be derogatory towards this place? Any kind of pollution, poison, contaminant, etc. sure seems to lead back to one place every time a new toxin/contaminant is found, doesn’t it? Must not also forget the south of the border place with the raw human sewage they put on their organic crops cause they say “its organic”. Just noticed today at grocery store a lot of the fruit now says made in america, funny how a lot of it just recently said from south of the border.

91. Patricia says:

How about the prepackaged lettuce that’s marked USA & SOB? Produce guy though I was kidding when I asked him which leaves came from where. Think he got the point when I tossed it back in the case!

92. SandyC says:

A few weeks ago, my best friend called me alarmist. Said I was overreacting to all this. That was because I had started searching for local farms that provided fresh milk, fresh eggs, grass-fed meat and home grown veggies. I had a list and if they wouldn’t let me come out and visit their farm, they got marked off. I joined local email groups about organic and raw foods and searched for comments about various farms. I’ve met some wonderful hard working people that have pride in their products. I’ll be picking up my grass-fed beef and chicken order on Tuesday. I have 2 dozen of the best tasting eggs you’ve ever seen in my fridge. I saw the chickens digging around in the grass looking for worms and bugs like they should be. I am now on a delivery schedule with a local dairy that has fresh dairy products from grass fed cows. Alarmist? perhaps..but I feel the most comfortable in the food I serve my family than I have in a very long time. I’ve been baking my own bread for years and have a large garden in the back. I just really don’t want to eat anymore food that has ingredients that I can’t even say and have no idea what they might be.

My guess is that manufacturers worldwide believe that “give us your tired, your poor” means “give us your toxin, your poison”.

Manufacturers already know that the FDA, USDA, EPA and all the other A’s set very low standards, so when they get a bad batch of something like acetaminophen, it’s very easy to dump it into the U.S. pet food supply.

94. Lorna says:

“Letting the chickens poop in the cage suspended over the water the fish farms are at and the fish eat it then they sell the fish. ”

Not to mention the kind of life (term used loosely) that must be for the chickens!

Lorna

95. Ellie says:

JJ Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 11:40 pm
    ——–

Please be careful in spreading information like this. Microcrystalline cellulose is an inert ingredient in Tylenol. The active ingredient in Tylenol is acetaminophen. Just because Tylenol contains both these ingredients, that doesn’t mean mean microcrystalline cellulose = acetaminophen, or that microcrystalline cellulose is therefore dangerous to pets. Tylenol also contains corn starch–that doesn’t make corn starch per se dangerous either.

If there is some other legitimate, scientific information about microcrystalline cellulose being a problem ingredient, please share the source of the information and the specifics.

Trace levels of many drugs are found in our water supply–you might want to have a look at this as a start:

Pill-popping society fouling our water, official says
    CBC March 27, 2006

“Birth control pills, cancer drugs and a host of other pharmaceuticals that people flush down the drain every day are showing up in our drinking water, says Gord Miller, Ontario’s environmental commissioner.

“In his last annual report, Miller said contraceptives, painkillers, antibiotics, anti-cancer drugs and blood-pressure drugs are showing up in lakes and rivers, while anti-inflammatory and anti-cholesterol drugs and antidepressants are ending up in drinking water.

“Miller said pharmaceuticals are getting into drinking water in several ways. Unused drugs are thrown into domestic garbage, which end up in landfill sites and eventually into the groundwater.

“Drugs are taken orally and flushed down toilets as human excrement. And unused drugs are washed down the sink or flushed down the toilet directly into domestic sewers.

“Many drugs pass right through the sewage and water treatment plants, back into the drinking water. “

97. Not Asleep at the Wheel says:

MORE THAN 70% OF CHINA’S WATERWAYS AND 90% OF ITS UNDERGROUND WATER ARE CONTAMINATED BY POLLUTION

From Agence-France Presse:

“Algae blooms threaten most Chinese freshwater lakes and are chiefly caused by untreated sewage and high concentrations of nitrogen, which is a main ingredient in soap powders and fertilizers. More than 70 percent of China’s waterways and 90 percent of its underground water are contaminated by pollution.”

As JJ noted above, this is the water used to make the vitamins, pharmaceutical products, packaged foods, as well as to irrigate the “organic” crops.

How in the hell are they being certified organic? Are they all importing water? Do they irrigate with bottled water? Do each of these fields which grow Trader Joe’s products, Whole Food’s products, Safeway’s “organic” products individually purify their water supply? Certainly makes me wonder.

And mad props to SandyC. Sounds like a fighter to me. Instead of responding with defeatism and learned helplessness, yours sounds like an inherently reasonable, rational response to a real threat. At the very least you are conscious and NOT ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! I need to learn from you.

98. ann says:

Trudy Jackson - I live North of Blackwater USA. Sysco food supplies our school system as well as many restaurants and eateries. They are nationwide.

99. JJ says:

Ellie like I had said to DMS I will look for that web site with that information and you will be able to see for yourself. I’m not spreading any information - I read it and soon others will be able to also.

100. TC says:

************SandyC Says: June 3rd, 2007 at 6:50 am
    A few weeks ago, my best friend called me alarmist. Said I was overreacting to all this. That was because I had started searching for local farms that provided fresh milk, fresh eggs, grass-fed meat and home grown veggies. I had a list and if they wouldn’t let me come out and visit their farm, they got marked off.*********

Guess I am another “alarmist”, so I see nothing wrong with this, in fact, I think it is a perfectly sensible course of action. In fact, it is less likely to harm you, than for you to continue putting on a smiley face and buying everything at your local Safeway grocery store, with your eyes and ears shut tight, like most people.

I am able to take this one step further, in that I already had some cattle being grass raised here, but that was to take to market previous to these unsafe food times. Now we plan to consume them ourselves, and I have the freezers ready - first one is being slaughtered Wed (born, raised, grass only, not one thing unnecessary to just being cows here, so far no antibiotics, hormones, whatever goes into our food supply cattle isn’t part of my operation here). The taste will be different due to no grain. I am also learning how to maximize a garden in a high desert environment, with more garden eating rodents than I’ve ever had to contend with!

Beyond that, for things I can’t raise or grow or for more variety, I follow your footsteps to make up the difference, and I am inspecting those places too. Local people can mess you over just as easily as any of our less than safe foreign trading partners. Difference is I can try to do a better job of sniffing out the bad guys than our FDA or large corporations seem to want to even try to do for us consumers.

I am relearning my bread making skills, will make freezer jam cause it isn’t hard, and so on. I am no longer eating “out” for the time being. I am already feeling better, eating way less junk so not piling on pounds, and I won’t likely ever go back to 100% dependence upon “store bought” stuff. Well, until I am far older than this and just need gruel:)

I used to do some of these things when I was younger, but got busy and slacked off. It is more work (esp. the way I am actually raising, growing and “producing” stuff here at home), but not impossible at my stage of life. The taste is incomparable. Risk only minimized, of course, not eliminated, but that is fine for now.

P.S. Some think I am overreacting as well. I guess someone has to eat that crap at the stores right now that worries me, so it can be those who think I am an alarmist. I try to inform where possible, esp. with those who are important to me, and without seeming overbearing or pushy about it; otoh, I have no interest or need in being berated too much over this. So I mention it, if there is interest, I give pointers re online resources, and that is it, unless the person indicates they’d like more info or discussion.

101. thomas says:

Ihave found the web site www.transnationale.org to be helpful. They list what American companies have businesses in China. Our government can make all the agreements they want with foreign countries , they can not makeus the consumer buy the products. If I am shopping and the product says distributed by or made in any country but the U.S.A. I put the product back on the shelf!!!!

102. Deb says:

Thomas…..Thank you very much for posting that site. What a horror it was to find out……the ever so higher prized status symbol of handbags…..COACH……..is nothing but over priced garbage made in China!!!!!!!!!

103. TC says:

thomas, another thanks for that link.

104. JJ says:

Ellie and DMS here is the site where the article explains acetemenophen as a component of Microcrystalline Cellulose and what concentrations too: the main web site is: www.phamtech.com and the article in full is at: www.pharmtech.com/pharmtech/ar.....p?id=18599 Also for anyone checking this does that mean any vitamin in a plastic capsule, supplement, medicine, etc that is enclosed in cellulose might also contain acetemenophen? Are we being overdosed if this is in fact in these plastic capsules with acetemenophen?

105. JJ says:

sorry do not know why it posted with the 3 … but again here is the place for the article in full: www.pharmtech.com/pharm/articl.....p?id=18599

106. JJ says:

here goes one more time: in place of the 3 … should be Detail.jsp?=id18599

107. JJ says:

www . pharmtech . com / pharmtech / article / articleDetail .jsp ? id=18599 now hopefully when you type it all together in your search box you can go directly to the article

108. Ellie says:

JJ Says:

June 3rd, 2007 at 4:11 pm
    —–

As I skim through, all I see is a study about how adding different types of microcrystalline cellulose to acetaminophen to form the tablets affects the hardness of the tablets. That is the purpose of microcrystalline cellulose in the formulation.

I’m not a scientist, and the article is far too technical for me. Where do you see anything in there that is equating microcrystalline cellulose with acetaminophen? They are two different ingredients.

109. YaYa says:

Bravo TC and others. I’ve been called an alarmist too right here, in the Blogs. But as this thing goes on and Grows, confidence in my decisions and advice asked for and/or shared here, Still feels right despite what skeptics say.

As you say, let them eat the crap, oooops, I should more delicately, let them eat the melamine Cake. {and beef and eggs and fish and pork and chicken and etc etc etc.}

When I was younger, before we bought a huge Deep Freezer, and had our Beef and pork slaughtered for us, we also got to rent a Freezer at the Meat ‘packers’.

This might Still be possible for those who have No Freezer {space} and want to stock up on seasonal foods.

I know we did have some other foods kept there as well.
    Folks could check around for Freezer rentals like that possibly. {at meat packers}
    You can go once a week and stock up and bring it home for your home freezer. And I carry a Big cooler in my Truck in the Summer, so I can always put cool/cold purchases etc in it, before I get home.

These days as long as you *Blanch Fresh veggies* and herbs, you can Freeze them very nicely. {you do need to use decent freezer bags OR learn how to freeze in pint and quart plastic containers or Jars.}

{you can also dry and dehydrate some foods}

Good Book for ALL of this is “Putting Foods By”. {can’t remember the author right now but there have been several editions}.
    Calling the Home Extension Service or visiting their Web-sites as I’ve mentioned before, is Great too.

Just some ideas.

110. thomas says:

Deb & TC you are welcome for the link. I have pets and have changed them to CN I call the company weekly and make sure there are no problems , before I buy food. I have also ask if they import any ingredients, I also want to know if any company they buy from imports any. I found the link when researching pet food parent companys.

For me this whole incident with the pet food has been a real wake up call. I am going organic, If I buy at a farmers market I ask about pesticides an GMO’s. If they tell me they bought the produce some where else I do not buy it.

Hopefully all the people that are upset will become more involved and let our elected officials here are voices. Hopefully the new voting machines in our state will work !!!

111. JJ says:

Ellie the whole point of that site was to point out that microcrystalline cellulose contains acetemenophen. Glad you found out that it effect the hardness of tablets. Just found it odd that it is in a bottle of Vitamin B tablets that I have. I do not want to consume acetemenophen in any form with my vitamins, supplements or any food that I may eat or my pets would eat either no matter what it is combined with. When people prepare a meal or feed their pet I’m sure they dont say “oh wait a moment gotta mix up some acetemenophen or ibuprofen in the food first”. It does not belong in food or supplements, vitamins etc at all.

112. HomeGrown says:

We all want change and the only way is to email the people who have the authority to do it. Right now the Food Safety Bill has been tabled and without our input will slowly die. It has been sent to the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions. If you scroll down you will see the Food Safety Bill. At the top of the page is a place you can email the committee.

Flood them with emails!!!!!

113. furmom says:

Re: the microcrystalline tablets

It does state that acetaminophen is the active ingredient (in this case), meaning that it is that type of tablet. Microcrystalline cellulose is just the binder, and they were pointing out how it makes a harder tablet with AC than lactose, and it compared the hardness related to the concentration of
    AC used. There is not suggeston AC would be mixed with other random ingredients except as an AC tablet. The MC might be found in lots of vitamins etc. because it’s not the active ingredient, just the binder to make it into a tablet (otherwise you’d have to use caplets, capsules, or eat loose powder.

114. Deb says:

I think in general we are in a boatload of trouble here. I could be totally wrong here……but I think any product sold at Wal-Mart should be totally off limits…..no matter what store it’s in (I have seen Amy’s Organics, Jason and Tom’s). Apparently the vendors have to bow down and kiss butt to get into there. I have a feeling quality may become secondary. I am sure this site has been posted before:

Makes very interesting reading.

I broke my friend’s daughter heart about her COACH handbag….she HAD to have….or else she would die. I think everyone knows the 16 year old’s whine. This kid worked so hard to save the $400.00 up, she was picking up dog poop, cleaning ovens, washing windows….all at slave wages. I took her to the mall to get the thing…..I tried to talk her out of it…..One of her reasonings was it’s AMERICAN MADE! HA…..the face on a 16 year old when you tell them…..I told you so…..is priceless.

At what point is all this BS considered fraud??? The companies are failing to representive the products in a truthful manner…..some of the products can be considered dangerous to one’s health….is there any action that the American public can take against these big boys?

115. Lorna says:

“…no matter what store it’s in (I have seen Amy’s Organics, Jason and Tom’s). ”

Oh say it isn’t so!!
    Deb???

AMY’S??? There’s a problem with AMY’S organic meals??!!

Lorna

116. Debbie4747 says:

For those of you banning Walmart, there are still some things you can do there just for fun:

15 Things to do at Wal-Mart while your spouse/partner/parent is taking their
    sweet
    time:

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in peoples carts when
    they
    aren’t looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute
    intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the rest rooms.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell them “Code 3 in Housewares” and see
    what
    they do.

5. Go to the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M’s on lay-away.

6. Move a ‘CAUTION - WET FLOOR’ sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the camping department and tell other shoppers
    you’ll
    invite them in if they’ll bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, “Why
    can’t
    you people just leave me alone?”

9. Look right into the security camera; use it as a mirror, and brush your teeth with one of their toothbrushes

10. While handling guns in the hunting department, ask the clerk if he
    knows
    where the antidepressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously loudly humming the “Mission
    Impossible”
    theme.

12. In the auto department, practice your “Madonna look” using different
    size
    funnels.

13. Hide in a clothing rack and when people browse through, say “PICK
    ME!”

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal
    position and scream “NO! NO! It’s those voices again!!”

And, last, but not least!

15. Go into a fitting room, shut the door and wait a while; and then
    yell,
    very loudly, “There is no toilet paper in here!”

117. Deb says:

Lorna….yes Amy’s is in Wally’s…..I noticed last week (I am forced to do into the place because of my part time job.) I noticed in the canned soup section. BUT…it depends on the type of Wal-Mart you are in….the one I noticed it is considered ‘upscale’ (????? GO FIGURE). Some of the Wall-marts also have Newman’s Organic dog food tucked way in the back of the pet dept. Scary.

There was also someother other products, which I didn’t pay much attention to….that I know are normally found in the Nature Market section of grocery and at organice food store. I’ll pay more attention to product line this week…..if I am in an upscale store.

Upscale Wally World…..there is something way wrong with that one.

I didn’t say there is a problem with Amy’s BUT after reading the anti Wal-mart website….no longer trust any product that is sold in that place……no matter where it is to be found.

What ever happened to QUALITY vs QUANITY???????

118. Ellie says:

JJ Says:

June 3rd, 2007 at 9:07 pm
    ——

ME:

No, that is NOT what it says. The article was about how different types of microcrystalline cellulose affect the tablet. It does NOT say that microcrystalline cellulose contains acetaminophen.

—–
    JJ Says:

———-

ME:
    MCC is SUPPOSED to be in the tablet–it’s what is used to get the medicine into tablet form. It is NOT the same as acetaminophen.

There are enough real problems with tainted food ingredients–I don’t think we need misinformation when NO problem exists.

119. Deb says:

Deb4747…

The number ONE thing we can do at Wally World to mess with them……is move the RFID product around……Wally tracks product movement with a Microchip tracking system. I have to find the source of the 2003 article…..joint effort between Wally and our friends at P&G…..this one states the the ability to tract shaving cream to the home of the buyer.

Currently the claim is products are chipped for inventory purposes. I thought the POS register did that….along with the floor staff.

Wal-Mart Continues RFID Technology Expansion
    400 More Stores to be RFID Enabled This Year;
    CIO Discusses Current and Future Benefits at RFID Conference

BENTONVILLE, AR. – May 1, 2007 – Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., (NYSE: WMT) continues to expand its RFID capability to additional facilities, enabling an additional 400 Wal-Mart stores by the end of this fiscal year, Wal-Mart Executive Vice President and CIO Rollin Ford said in a speech Monday. At the RFID Journal Live conference in Orlando, Fla., Ford also discussed the technology’s current and future benefits to both business and consumers including broad benefits for improving sustainability.

“Through RFID technology, Wal-Mart is providing value to customers, working with our suppliers to deliver collaborative benefits that allow people to save money and lead better lives,” Ford said. “We have only gotten started, and we are continuing to rollout to more stores at the same rate as the last two years.”

Ford’s speech at the RFID Journal Live conference was a keynote at what is described as the largest end-user RFID conference, attracting more than 2,500 attendees in 2006. He said current benefits include a 30 percent reduction of out-of-stocks, reduction of excess inventory in the supply chain, and sustainability impacts. Ford also outlined advancements including pallet locators now being used at Sam’s Club locations – increasing inventory accuracy and reduced member waiting time — as well as future benefits in pharmacy accuracy, grocery freshness, software, CD and DVD authentication, and 30-second store checkouts.

“Our focus on using RFID to improve in-stocks for our customers means eliminating extra trips they may make to our store, or to others,” he said. “On a daily basis, more than 24 million people shop our stores. If 100,000 extra trips are avoided by having items in stock, we will save customers $22.8 million a year in gas savings and reduce greenhouse gases by 80,209 metric tons.”

Ford also described future innovations that could be made possible with RFID.

“In the near future, customers may be able to enjoy advantages such as automatic warranty activation on electronics, freshness assurance on foods thanks to cold chain monitoring and enhanced product safety as a result of faster, more accurate recalls and better freshness monitoring,” he said.

120. Deb says:

This is the 2003 article

LIFE WITH BIG BROTHER
    Wal-Mart used microchip to track customers
    High-tech devices monitor product from manufacturer’s headquarters

It’s from WorldNetDaily.com……I hope this works for everyone….sorry about not a having a link.

Posted: November 15, 2003
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com
    Wal-Mart customers who picked up lipstick off the shelf at a Broken-Arrow, Okla., store were part of a little-mentioned experiment earlier this year that tracked consumer habits using Radio Frequency Identification technology, or RFID.
    Proctor & Gamble teamed with the retail giant in the test over a four month-period which allowed researchers to view the Wal-Mart shelves from company headquarters some 750 miles away in Cincinnati, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
    Also, the Max Factor Lipfinity lipstick had RFID tags hidden inside that allowed the inventory to be tracked leaving the shelves.
    The Chicago paper said it was informed of the study by a disgruntled P&G employee.
    Wal-Mart first denied the test, but then admitted it had allowed customers to be watched.
    A P&G spokeswoman said a sign at the Lipfinity display “alerted customers that closed-circuit televisions and electronic merchandise security systems are in place in the store,” the Sun-Times reported.
    She insisted the system could only track lipstick leaving the shelves. Once the product was taken away, it would be out of range.
    A privacy rights group, however, has called for mandatory labeling of the products with RFID chips.
    “On the surface, the Broken Arrow trial may seem harmless,” Katherine Albrecht, founder and director of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering, or CASPIAN, told the Sun-Times. “But the truth is that the businesses involved pushed forward with this technology in secret, knowing full well that consumers are overwhelmingly opposed to it.”
    As WorldNetDaily reported, Gillette, the nation’s largest shaving-products manufacturer, planned to conduct a trial of RFID last summer at a Brockton, Mass., Wal-Mart store.
    The plan called for Gillette to embed a tiny microchip in each of its products so store managers could track Gillette store stock and alert them if products were running low. Eventually, say critics, the technology could be used to literally track products from store shelves to homes.
    However, according to the Washington Times, Wal-Mart abandoned its “smart shelf” experiment for the time being. Instead, the paper said, the retailer would incorporate RFID technology at each of its 103 distribution centers around the country to monitor inventory.
    The decision, said the Times, came after Albrecht and CASPIAN called for a letter-writing campaign against Wal-Mart. But retailer spokesman Tom Williams denied that was the motivation for Wal-Mart changing its “smart shelf” plans.
    “We didn’t cancel anything. We just didn’t follow through with this particular idea,” he told the paper.
    But the Times report said other large retailers, such as Target and Home Depot, were testing the RFID technology to monitor inventory in their storerooms and distribution centers.
    Wal-Mart and the U.S. Department of Defense have been the biggest boosters of the te

121. Deb says:

Nothing for Nothing….Walmart has the money to spend on a program like this……but not higher wages and health care for the employees????

122. TC says:

YaYa - you don’t know how less lonely it makes me feel to learn that someone else besides me is driving around in a truck with a cooler for summer purchases:)

We did a lot of these things when I was a kid- lived rurally, and not much money meant you just couldn’t buy everything at the store. Then like some of the other neighborhood kids, I went to college and beyond, got a city kind of job and promptly forgot everything I knew in favor of ease and convenience. Heck, I couldn’t wait to get to the big city.

And fast forward to me in my fifties? Back to my roots, and I will likely never return to a city - it was fun, and okay, maybe when I am in my 80s. Nearest neighbors are miles away. Many are ranchers who never quit eating what they raised (some don’t have freezers, they have those cooler rooms set up in parts of their garage). I do miss some city things, but turns out not as many things as I missed in the country.

And I am brushing up on everything my grandmother probably could have done in her sleep:)

Read an interview with Michael Pollen (?) author of the Omnivore’s Dilemma, who was discussing processed foods today. A few points I took to heart follow, probably badly paraphrased:

1) don’t eat anything with more than 5 ingredients;

2) don’t eat anything with more than 3 ingredients that you can’t pronounce; and

3) don’t eat anything with ingredients that your grandmother wouldn’t recognize.

The above does make for a good start in the brave new world of eating amidst the various imported and domestically tainted products we face nowdays.

123. DMS says:

I am afraid for this contminated gluten to fall into our government’s or any other organization’s hands. Their past track record has been to allow feeding it to something as the dilution factor will take care of it. Can anybody follow those trucks when they leave? Maybe someone can slip an RFID on it.

————————–
    Ellie Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 9:29 am

————————-

My thoughts on this are that no one can really know –except maybe those who aren’t talking—if all of the melamine , cyanuric acid, whatever else is in there, actually does get eliminated. It would have to be quantified going in and match what is going out, taking into account any amounts used in other biochemical reactions. The FDA/USDA can not really know, their investigation certainly wasn’t a long comprehensive one. Much of the evidence was based on assumptions, like they believe, it is believed, etc. Let’s hope they aren’t planning on a way to feed us the rest of this stuff. I’m sure there’s still more out there, probably at the grocery store as well. Let’s hope they step up the investigation really soon. And tell us the truth!

124. Patricia says:

Deb - Thanks for giving me even more reasons to NOT shop at Walmart. Unfortunately they do carry many of the same brands (e.g., Eggbeaters, Oscar Meyer turkey bacon, etc.) as the local grocery stores at a much lower price.
    Amy’s organics is a whole ‘nother story. Last week I found 3 different brands of canned lentil soup in my pantry. Compared the labels. Amy’s was the worst in sodium, calories, etc. The Progresso was the best - and also tastes better to me.

125. Debbie4747 says:

dEBConsider me a tad bit paranoid….why do products need chips for tracking? Is Wally the dreaded Big Brother?

****

That is just way too scarey. Never knew they did that and whoever posted that they should give the employyes more money instead is right. Geez. But yes, that too could be fun. Go in periodically, say a couple times a day, buy the shaving cream and drop it off at places like toe post office and other federal buildings. The article says it’s only tracking while in the store….believe it? If that IS true, then have fun with it in the store…go up to those cameras and spray the cream into the lens if that’s possible, otherwise be creative with where you leave it. Geez, nothing is private anymore is it?

126. pam says:

rfids are found in products sold at many companies such as cvs, eckard’s, sears, radio shack, etc…even nicotene gum. when i buy anything in a box other than food, i open it up at my truck and take it out and find a place to put it. another thought about the way all these companies have treated the american consumer during the pet food crisis. we need to hit them were it really counts….buy stock in the companies. if you can’t do it individually do it as a group…then when you get notice of the annual stockholder’s meeting don’t sign your proxy statement and let someone else vote for you….go to the meeting and voice your concerns about the corporation! if enough people buy small blocks of stock and keep their proxy vote, real changes could begin to happen. plus it would drive them crazy because everyone gets to have their say as a stockholder.

Thomas said: Does anyone else wonder if the FDA and USDA are trying to cover up for some big money influential outfit?Lets remember this not only when we shop also when we vote.

FDA and USDA receive big money from such big outfits = yes.

128. TEALCSMOMMY says:

They’ve been putting rat poison(flouride) in our water supply just to get rid of it. See link:
    They know basically what they are doing. They’re just trying not to let it come out!

129. Water Booster - Save 50% On Gasoline! | 7Wins.eu says:

[…] SpoilersFriday Free-for-All! | Vancouver Condo Infoscottberkun.com ? How to avoid lame morale eventsContaminated Wheat Gluten Looks For Other Uses | Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats Tags hydrogen fuel cell hydrogen fuel fuel cell gas mileage fuel efficient diesel fuel powered […]