Contaminated Wheat Gluten Looks For Other Uses

Tons of melamine tainted wheat gluten earmarked for Del Monte is currently sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania because it’s too valuable to throw out. The owners are looking for an industrial, non-food use for these stockpiles.

In contrast to the safe-dilution levels we have been hearing on the FDA conference calls, the FDA’s district director Thomas Gardine says “You cannot dilute out a contaminant. The product is bad.”

The article continues:

The FDA found melamine-related compounds in the raw ingredients but, in the processed feed, only at levels too small to quantify, he said. The health risk to animals and humans is considered low, so the agency allowed the feed to be sold, he said.

The district director also says “We can think of no cognizant reason that the purposeful contamination was limited to wheat, corn and rice.”

Also, another tidbit (emphasis ours):

This week, the FDA announced that a Toledo company, Tembec BTLSR Inc., intentionally had been adding melamine and related compounds to fish and shrimp feed, and to a bonding agent, all of which a Colorado company sold or used to make livestock feed. A Tembec official said the feed was made with the same formulation for the past three years.

It just keeps getting worse.
(Thanks sieweke)

129 Responses to “Contaminated Wheat Gluten Looks For Other Uses”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

1. Sandy says:

Color me not so shocked..I am still wondering when Fancy Feast and some Purina products….are recalled…it is voluntary so they may never do it but I lost 2 cats and have another with CRF all they have in common daily was…..fancy feast the last 3 years.

DISCLAIMER…I suspect but do not know it is just my feeling based on my sick cats, Wellness and Purinia they seems way too quiet. I am not shocked on De Monte…..heck these people are not forced to recall its voluntary so I refused to deal with them. I have some not much but some respect for the companies that did pull their stuff…they COULD have kept hiding it like….the ones I suspect

There was a very sick dog at the vet this morning and I overheard the exam. Not once was the owner asked what food he fed nor did he bring up diet with the vet. The dog had diarrhea that was out of control. God I hope somebody helps that poor baby, it looked like such a sweet and sad animal, it was breaking my heart.

3. Flamin says:

Don’t ship it back to China! They will continue to feed it to their own people, and animals. We will put a stamp on it, says it been approved “organic” & Feed it to the global elite, & those who profited from the deaths, and illness of people and animals.

Hey it’s only fair, since the think it’s so dam valuable, let them eat it!

I don’t want it to be used as patio furniture, fertilizer, Nothing!

Don’t burn it to get rid of it, it will only add more pollution into the atmosphere. Don’t dump it into the oceans, our marine life is already being destroyed.

Have them eat it, it’s the only way!

4. jean s says:

to Lisa:

I’d never thought about litter until you mentioned it! I started thinking, my litter is wheat, what about binders for clumping, etc. Happy to report that Swheat Scoops wheat litter has a statement on their web-site about the recalls and that all their wheat is 100% Minnesota and Midwest grown–nothing added!

It also works great!

5. JustMe says:

Sandy,

Could you elaborate on your post, speficially the comment about Wellness? I’m feeding all my cats Wellness and need to know if you have or have heard of a problem with it. Thanks.

6. JustMe says:

to Jean S,

Makes me wonder why of why can’t these company use our Minnesota and midwest grown wheat in “food” rather than importing it.

7. Jay says:

I wonder if it might be wise to randomly test pet food from as long ago as Summer, 2006. I know this is probably a difficult order just to find the foods themselves. I have a number of packets and cans that as far I know are not on the recall list though some other lot numbers of the same foods were.

We know the usual suspects: the melamine, the cyanuric acid, etc., but I have become curious as to what is IN THE FOOD as a RULE, not an exception. What did they fill with? Are the counts on the can accurate? Are the proportions correct and what manipulative trickery may have been used to give the illusion of quality?

I am curious if there is a way to analyze a food for all of its constituents, checking for freshness, foreign matter, drugs, uncatalogued chemicals, hazards like heavy metals and other pollutants, and other equally disastrous ingredients which would impact pets (and humans also). Also, things for which my imagination is inadequate to even contemplate.

So far, I am guessing that the labs have been searching for specific chemicals or poisons. I think this because have not seen new items added to the list of toxins since the beginning of the outrage. Not necessarily deadly contents, but hardly helpful ingredients placed in these food as a “profit” supplement. I would like to see a complete breakdown of a variety of foods stretching over these many months. And if by chance, some unopened cans prior to the influx of foreign, cheap, and risky additives could be located, it would be an interesting tell of how the industry sold itself away.

An expensive project no doubt, but it might put the seal on why so many of us have lost animals or seen them deteriorate long before their time, and long before this latest episode.

A Menu Foods customer: Life’s Abundance — Avoid!

8. Jay says:

jean s Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 3:48 pm
    to Lisa:

I’d never thought about litter until you mentioned it!

I thought of this immediately when my cat became ill in late December. The only thing I had changed in the last few months prior. I had gone from Fresh Step to Arm&Hammer clump. I was always a little turned off that it would stick to his paws and he would try to clean them. Even when I used a wet rag, it was a hard job — one that wasn’t appreciated by the cat as you can imagine.

Still, those were innocent times and I couldn’t conceive that anything harmful would be allowed on the shelf… period. Silly me!

It was the food that killed him but this is a worthwhile pursuit. Goodness knows what these companies would think would be acceptable.

9. Katie says:

XYZ,

You asked about fish oil. I’m using fish oil for my dog. I chose to use fish oil made for humans. I don’t trust any made for pet products anymore. Carlson Fish Oil - which I purchased at a health food store is filtered, and assayed for all heavy metals. I would recommend you look for filtered/distilled and assayed oil.
    Unfiltered and unassayed can be high in mercury, etc.

Katie

10. Katie says:

Tembec has been doing this for three years!! and they don’t feel obligated to be licensed…. etc. The corporations in this country and the world are out of control! Their Greed, lack of ethics and morals - And, I wish I could say I would be surprised at whom the other 3 purchasers of CN ingredients are but it won’t. It’s a freight train out of control and the US government doesn’t seem to give two hoots!

Katie

11. KatieKat says:

Valuable to who?!? Just ship the stuff back!

FDA, Haven’t you figured out consumers want nothing to due with Melamine tainted products!

12. doug says:

Looks like the FDA has more problems than just food, check out this story. Notice the old, we only check one percent…..thing again

Hmm I wonder if there is even one (not one percent, just one) honest, ethical person running a large corporation.

13. kellie says:

too valuable to throw out??

what i dont get is it’s tainted. so why can’t it be returned or why won’t del-monte, a LARGE company demand they take it back and reimburse the buyers?

How can we import stuff with no return policy to CHINA if it’s poison?
    There needs to be some repurcussion to China when they do violate safety and health standards. they need to be able to stand behind the stuff they export to us and offer to replace it or make amends financially if the products are substandard.

my wish is too stop importing all the things we can produce right here at home and then STRICTLY regulate it so our own companies greed won’t harm us either.

It seems it would be much easier for the under staffed FDA to monitor the US companies better than trying to regulate shipments from all over the world.

I don’t think all trade should halt, we should be able to receive goods that can’t be produced here, but the stuff that can needs to be returned to U.S. production and we need to be willing to pay a bit more to put our farmers and textile industry back to work at a wage they can live off of.

14. Trudy Jackson says:

Would anyone ever have believed this last year?
    Anyway, where does sugar come from? and is there any natural sugar in the USA? If so please let Me know.
    What kind of cat food had the tylinol in it?
    And I take all kinds of vit,from Wal mart [no more]. My cat with heart problems is on baby asprin, My husband too. I am on anti-depressions, anti-anxiety meds. No wonder? But I do wonder if they are safe?
    I’ve lost over 3 cats in the last year. Now I know why. this is heartbreaking and horrible. My dog spent the week at the vets, etc. I can’t take anything more from china. And i won’t buy another thing from there.

15. Trudy Jackson says:

Does anyone know anything about a company called Ciscofoods? Thanks,

16. kellie says:

too valuable to throw out??

How can we import stuff with no return policy to CHINA if it’s poison?

The product is poison, how is it valuable?
    It should be destroyed or at least put through a flitering process(if there is one) capable of taking out the melamine. If not send it back and make CHINA absorb the costs.

I wouldn’t be so adament about Chinese imports being stopped if they took responsibilty for their actions, helped reimburse the U.S. companies and people who received the poison products and worked hard and righteously to restore our faith in products from their country. Seems like good buisness sense to me.
    Show remorse and be willing to do ANYTHING necessary to begin to make up for what they’ve done.

No one can bring back lost pets or undo damage but they could get their s**t together and try to bulid a decent buisness reputation.

Who am i kidding? lol.
    the idea that you can still get ahead by being honest and just to your fellow man has gone out of humanity it seems.

I don’t understand the deceptive and harmful mentality that has infested most og humanity in this age of our evolution.

It’s so sad. If everybody just gave the slightest care towards the rest of humanity intead of themselves the world would be a beautiful place to live instead of being plagued with greed, no conscience, immorality, inhumanity, rogue and dangerous science used for all the wrong things….I hate to sound like Ghandi or something but it just saddens me so deeply.
    Being alive and filled with the capacity to love is such a gift that the world is throwing away more and more each day.

I just don’t understand it. i’m just wired differently i guess. it’s all made me so jaded and such a recluse that i don’t trust anyone not to have a selfish agenda these days.

17. kellie says:

Trudy,
    I do know that cisco or Sysico or however it’s spelled, if its even the same as you mean, supplied almost every resturant i ever worked for. that’s alot.
    i worked at everything from a Big Boy to 4 star bistros over an 8 yr period.

The company i mean is a large supplier of everything food to most resturant and food service places. produce, dairy, meat, seafood, etc.

18. Trudy Jackson says:

It’s probably the same company. My son-in-law works for Blackwater USA. and thst’s the comapny that supplies them with food. I need to figure out where the food supplies come from. thanks,

19. kellie says:

I’m guessing from ALL OVER. They are the monopoly of food service suppliers. Like I said out of about 15 resturants of all types and ethnic specialties EVERY single one had them as their main supplier here in michigan.

That’s alot of food. i doubt you’ll be able to find out the many sources of their products. good luck. i don’t mean that sarcastically either, i just mean it would be like trying to get Kraft foods to reveal the source og every ingredient used in their hundreds of products.

They may even supply supermarkets too, i wouldnt doubt it, they are basically the only food trucks i ever even see on the roads or freeways.

20. kellie says:

sorry for the half double post.
    itchmo has been acting all weird for me lately, won’t load, double posts, errors, page time outs, whenever i refresh the little load bar bottom of my browser goes nuts and loads about 20 things instead of just one page.

i scanned for spyware and adware and viruses, and nothing came up.

maybe itchmo changed the layout or a few of the new ads are causing the page faults.

21. Leslie k says:

JustMe- Wellness doesn’t make their own foods anymore. Some of their cans are made at Menu. If the code starts with an S or C followed by 1,2,3,4 it is made at Menu. Also some of their dry is made at ANI. They are testing & backtested saved samples. However my neighbors dog is having the runs since she bought a new bag.

22. mittens says:

not once was i asked, in late april/ early may, when i brought my hyperthyroid elderly cat into the emergency( she wouldn’t eat, her back legs were wobbly and she was clearly dehydrated. all of a sudden. fine at night. completely ill the next morning-easily symptoms of poisoning and/or what now adays passes for just eating mass produced pet food) what kind of food she was eating although we were well into the recalls and they were still rolling in.

i was very bothered at the time by this-after all ,i’m the one paying the huge ER bill and i want to know what’s wrong with my cat and i want you as you are getting paid for it to get to it and track it down THOURGHLY. her symptoms were very close to those of pet food murdered pets. they asked about poisons she could have gotten into and about the medications she was on but not a peep about the food. when i brought food up, more as an aside to try to lure them onto commenting or inquiring, they could’t wait to shut me up- i got a nervous ‘ uh-huh’ and the topic was spun right away in another unrelated direction.

this was a specialized referral and emergency vet hospital - filled with specialists of every sort. you’d think that they’d keep up on things like , oh, a rash of mysteriously ill pets flooding their damn profession with cats and dogs who were perfectly healthy and not exposed accidentally to any household poison going into complete renal failure at an assortment of ages . no vet i have seen since the recall- and i had to go for shots, adopted 2 cats and had a paw wound looked at and a hyperthyroid cat in and out of the hospital- no one EVER mentioned food. not once. don’t they care? don’t they stay informed? why wouldn’t you, as a matter of course ,remind your patients of the pet food recall particularly if they have ill pets who would be more vulnerable to any such thing?

it still bothers me . we had a batch of egg product come into my bakery that was bad, even though it’s use by date was ok. something went wrong at the manufacturer. i tracked down every spec of product it was used in and threw it out, even though no one complained or got sick because we caught it before anything actually went out. then i gave an ear splitting tirade to the company we get our eggs from. now i personally check every container that comes in. and this was not something that killed or sickened anyone. animals died and the profession that is dedicated to their care at a not, i might add, cheap price, are pussy footing around and playing games with us or trying to keep mum about…something.

i am increasingly leery of vets, pills, all food and just who is being served by the whole pet industry that americans spend more on then any other people on the face of the earth. the more that does and more importantly doesn’t come out the more i am led to think ,in an X files like manner, that it is all lies and the greater trruth about what actually did happen is being spun away. now, as mentioned above, someone found acetaminophen( known to be, unlike melamine, absolutely deadly in cats in particular) in unrecalled pet food- just what the F is going on? every day it’s worse the more tiny rays of light manage to peck their way out the morass of cover ups and perhaps outright lies. i though the more we knew the closer we’d be to resolution. it just keeps getting more tangled and knotted up.i feel torn in a million directions with my cat’s lives on the line and i am not given enough truthful information to ever be able to do what’s right for them.

23. Lynn says:

We’ve learned that the FDA really doesn’t pay attention when it affects pets, but I’ll bet if it affects kids, it will.

Don’t mean to be an alarmist or sadistic, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to start tracking the number of monthly deaths here in the US of children 12 months old and younger. How does one get that information in a timely fashion? Anyone know?

Trudy Jackson Says:
    June 2nd, 2007 at 9:32 pm

Trudy, you’ve been through more than anyone should be able to endure. Please know that lots of us that read this site send our best wishes and support to you.

You asked what food was found to be contaminated by acetaminiphen, the Tylenol generic, which is highly toxic to cats and for dogs, though not as severely toxic.

The cat foods are described on http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/ (see the June 2, 2007 posting). Pet Pride (Krogers) and a Hill’s Science Diet product…

25. Maureen says:

Anonymous again, above. I keep forgetting to put in my name…

26. Lynn says:

Horror of horrors, I have this god-awful feeling that little by little as time creeps on, one food industry manufacturer/supplier after another is going to admit to using source products containing melamine or cyanuric acid or other toxic fillers…..and will announce they’ve been using it for years.

Start planting your own gardens, I say. Or bring back the good old trust-worthy farmer.

27. mittens says:

trudy-

the pet food allegedly with acetaminophen was pets’ pride turkey and giblets and mixed grill and apaparently what was an un bagged sample of hill’s science dry-

sysco is indeed a large national food supplier to the supermarket and restaurant industry. we do not use them but use a more local company although sysco is very prominant in my area.

lovely free trade agrements with other countries are closing down sugar producing american plants. here’s everything about sugar form the us producers-

28. DMS says:

Thank God for Pennsylvania.

29. Robert Davis says:

I was visiting with friends this weekend, and a condiment we use calleg Maggi comes from China and it had Wheat Gluten in it. I wonder if it might be tainted since it came from China?

Does anyone know how other products can be tested for the contaminates?

Thanks

Robert

30. JJ says:

In regard to the tylenol I was going thru vitamins to check and email co’s where they got contents from and found on a bottle of vit. B Microcrystalline Cellulose. Did a search and one of the components of the Microcrystalline Cellulose is acetemenophin (tylenol). So now it is in the pet food? People better check any vitamins, supplements, human food/drinks along with all pet food and pet treats too. No wonder the food was so toxic to our beloved pets - WTF is tylenol doing in it? Is tylenol not bad for the kidneys and ibuprofen bad for the liver? Now we need to know what and who is adding tylenol and maybe other chemicals like this to the food supply.

31. DMS says:

ROBERT, Midwest Labs tests human foods. I am going to send a few samples there myself. Just trying to work out a few details. Here is the person I have been communicating with. There may be someone nearer to you, though. You could try the yellow pages.
    brent@midwestlabs.com
    I saw there add here on itchmo.

32. DMS says:

JJ, where did you find the components of microcrystalline cellulose? All I can find is that it is a binder made from refined cellulose.

33. Gerry says:

Killie….I didnt know it but Kraft foods now owns boca burgers. Who knows what is in them and where they are made now.

34. Jenny Bark says:

I can’t believe it, The county airport where the melamine is stored is about 8 miles from me. 2 miles if you fly like a bird. It is real small and almost all the hangeers are filled if not all of them. Most if not all of the hangers have windows in them. The airport is on top of the hill, Does melamne fly in the wind? Did they fing a new way to give it to us, maybe in the air and into the lungs ? I’m p!!!!!.

35. JJ says:

Not Asleep at the Wheel 6-2 12:44pm post - the link story last paragraph states: more than 70% of China’s waterways & 90% of its underground water are contaminated by pollution.

My question is where do they obtain the water to water/irrigate the organic crops they are growing over there? Do they use this same polluted water with all the gunk and garbage floating in it? People can’t even drink it out of the taps cause it’s coming out all green and when bathing with it they smell like it afterwards. So again where is the water from on the organic let alone any of the crops they grow and what do their animals drink too-this same polluted water? The percantage of polluted water is extremely high, dont you think?

36. Jenny Bark says:

My husband just did some electric work for Del Monte about 10 weeks ago. He said it is very clean and don’t be afraid to buy anything from them. They also make other store brands but I forgot what brands he said they where. I’m going to make his day when I tell him when he gets up. I am going to call the FDA Monday & tell them where they can put their melamine. They can also eat it, after all it is safe for us all to eat it, they should have to eat it too.

37. JJ says:

DMS I just did a search (I have yahoo-sbc browser) so just typed in those two words and went to different sites and found this on one of them after I read thru many paragraphs and this just popped out. I still have the bottle with a few of the vit. B’s in it. I will have to do a search again to find the site and give you all the url for it. It sure made my eyes pop open and say WTF is it doing in there? Now see on here today they found it in pet food so no doubt it is in human food too.

38. Gerry says:

Does the movie…soylent green come to mind???? Scarey..

39. Jenny Bark says:

JJ
    I believe I read somewhere they put the chicken coops over the water so the fish could feed on their droppings.

40. JJ says:

Jenny Bark yes your right about the chicken coops. I just read that couple of weeks ago and posted it in the forums on here. Makes you sick doesn’t it? Letting the chickens poop in the cage suspended over the water the fish farms are at and the fish eat it then they sell the fish. And we’re being told to not be derogatory towards this place? Any kind of pollution, poison, contaminant, etc. sure seems to lead back to one place every time a new toxin/contaminant is found, doesn’t it? Must not also forget the south of the border place with the raw human sewage they put on their organic crops cause they say “its organic”. Just noticed today at grocery store a lot of the fruit now says made in america, funny how a lot of it just recently said from south of the border.

41. Patricia says:

How about the prepackaged lettuce that’s marked USA & SOB? Produce guy though I was kidding when I asked him which leaves came from where. Think he got the point when I tossed it back in the case!

42. SandyC says:

A few weeks ago, my best friend called me alarmist. Said I was overreacting to all this. That was because I had started searching for local farms that provided fresh milk, fresh eggs, grass-fed meat and home grown veggies. I had a list and if they wouldn’t let me come out and visit their farm, they got marked off. I joined local email groups about organic and raw foods and searched for comments about various farms. I’ve met some wonderful hard working people that have pride in their products. I’ll be picking up my grass-fed beef and chicken order on Tuesday. I have 2 dozen of the best tasting eggs you’ve ever seen in my fridge. I saw the chickens digging around in the grass looking for worms and bugs like they should be. I am now on a delivery schedule with a local dairy that has fresh dairy products from grass fed cows. Alarmist? perhaps..but I feel the most comfortable in the food I serve my family than I have in a very long time. I’ve been baking my own bread for years and have a large garden in the back. I just really don’t want to eat anymore food that has ingredients that I can’t even say and have no idea what they might be.

My guess is that manufacturers worldwide believe that “give us your tired, your poor” means “give us your toxin, your poison”.

Manufacturers already know that the FDA, USDA, EPA and all the other A’s set very low standards, so when they get a bad batch of something like acetaminophen, it’s very easy to dump it into the U.S. pet food supply.

44. Lorna says:

“Letting the chickens poop in the cage suspended over the water the fish farms are at and the fish eat it then they sell the fish. ”

Not to mention the kind of life (term used loosely) that must be for the chickens!

Lorna

45. Ellie says:

JJ Says:

June 2nd, 2007 at 11:40 pm
    ——–

Please be careful in spreading information like this. Microcrystalline cellulose is an inert ingredient in Tylenol. The active ingredient in Tylenol is acetaminophen. Just because Tylenol contains both these ingredients, that doesn’t mean mean microcrystalline cellulose = acetaminophen, or that microcrystalline cellulose is therefore dangerous to pets. Tylenol also contains corn starch–that doesn’t make corn starch per se dangerous either.

If there is some other legitimate, scientific information about microcrystalline cellulose being a problem ingredient, please share the source of the information and the specifics.

Trace levels of many drugs are found in our water supply–you might want to have a look at this as a start:

Pill-popping society fouling our water, official says
    CBC March 27, 2006

“Birth control pills, cancer drugs and a host of other pharmaceuticals that people flush down the drain every day are showing up in our drinking water, says Gord Miller, Ontario’s environmental commissioner.

“In his last annual report, Miller said contraceptives, painkillers, antibiotics, anti-cancer drugs and blood-pressure drugs are showing up in lakes and rivers, while anti-inflammatory and anti-cholesterol drugs and antidepressants are ending up in drinking water.

“Miller said pharmaceuticals are getting into drinking water in several ways. Unused drugs are thrown into domestic garbage, which end up in landfill sites and eventually into the groundwater.

“Drugs are taken orally and flushed down toilets as human excrement. And unused drugs are washed down the sink or flushed down the toilet directly into domestic sewers.

“Many drugs pass right through the sewage and water treatment plants, back into the drinking water. “

47. Not Asleep at the Wheel says:

MORE THAN 70% OF CHINA’S WATERWAYS AND 90% OF ITS UNDERGROUND WATER ARE CONTAMINATED BY POLLUTION

From Agence-France Presse:

“Algae blooms threaten most Chinese freshwater lakes and are chiefly caused by untreated sewage and high concentrations of nitrogen, which is a main ingredient in soap powders and fertilizers. More than 70 percent of China’s waterways and 90 percent of its underground water are contaminated by pollution.”

As JJ noted above, this is the water used to make the vitamins, pharmaceutical products, packaged foods, as well as to irrigate the “organic” crops.

How in the hell are they being certified organic? Are they all importing water? Do they irrigate with bottled water? Do each of these fields which grow Trader Joe’s products, Whole Food’s products, Safeway’s “organic” products individually purify their water supply? Certainly makes me wonder.

And mad props to SandyC. Sounds like a fighter to me. Instead of responding with defeatism and learned helplessness, yours sounds like an inherently reasonable, rational response to a real threat. At the very least you are conscious and NOT ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! I need to learn from you.

48. ann says:

Trudy Jackson - I live North of Blackwater USA. Sysco food supplies our school system as well as many restaurants and eateries. They are nationwide.

49. JJ says:

Ellie like I had said to DMS I will look for that web site with that information and you will be able to see for yourself. I’m not spreading any information - I read it and soon others will be able to also.

50. TC says:

************SandyC Says: June 3rd, 2007 at 6:50 am
    A few weeks ago, my best friend called me alarmist. Said I was overreacting to all this. That was because I had started searching for local farms that provided fresh milk, fresh eggs, grass-fed meat and home grown veggies. I had a list and if they wouldn’t let me come out and visit their farm, they got marked off.*********

Guess I am another “alarmist”, so I see nothing wrong with this, in fact, I think it is a perfectly sensible course of action. In fact, it is less likely to harm you, than for you to continue putting on a smiley face and buying everything at your local Safeway grocery store, with your eyes and ears shut tight, like most people.

I am able to take this one step further, in that I already had some cattle being grass raised here, but that was to take to market previous to these unsafe food times. Now we plan to consume them ourselves, and I have the freezers ready - first one is being slaughtered Wed (born, raised, grass only, not one thing unnecessary to just being cows here, so far no antibiotics, hormones, whatever goes into our food supply cattle isn’t part of my operation here). The taste will be different due to no grain. I am also learning how to maximize a garden in a high desert environment, with more garden eating rodents than I’ve ever had to contend with!

Beyond that, for things I can’t raise or grow or for more variety, I follow your footsteps to make up the difference, and I am inspecting those places too. Local people can mess you over just as easily as any of our less than safe foreign trading partners. Difference is I can try to do a better job of sniffing out the bad guys than our FDA or large corporations seem to want to even try to do for us consumers.

I am relearning my bread making skills, will make freezer jam cause it isn’t hard, and so on. I am no longer eating “out” for the time being. I am already feeling better, eating way less junk so not piling on pounds, and I won’t likely ever go back to 100% dependence upon “store bought” stuff. Well, until I am far older than this and just need gruel:)

I used to do some of these things when I was younger, but got busy and slacked off. It is more work (esp. the way I am actually raising, growing and “producing” stuff here at home), but not impossible at my stage of life. The taste is incomparable. Risk only minimized, of course, not eliminated, but that is fine for now.

P.S. Some think I am overreacting as well. I guess someone has to eat that crap at the stores right now that worries me, so it can be those who think I am an alarmist. I try to inform where possible, esp. with those who are important to me, and without seeming overbearing or pushy about it; otoh, I have no interest or need in being berated too much over this. So I mention it, if there is interest, I give pointers re online resources, and that is it, unless the person indicates they’d like more info or discussion.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All