County Health Department Compensates Dog Owner For Dog Poisonings

The Cumberland County Health Department in North Carolina has paid a dog owner $1,500 after two of her dogs died when rat poison was misapplied to her yard.

Earlier this year, Lisa Rey had the Health Department kill rats that were in her back yard. The Health Department employee set out the green poisonous pellets and told Rey it would not be a risk to her three dogs.

Rey said, “His exact words were, ‘They would have to eat their weight in it.’” But two of her dogs died from eating the poison placed out by the employee.

In August, the North Carolina Department of Agriculture’s Structural Pest Control & Pesticide Division issued a violation notice to the employee and the Health Department saying that the poison was misapplied.

The Health Department compensated Rey $1,500 for her medical bills and the loss of her two dogs.

The employee that misapplied the poison still has his license, and the Health Department was not fined for the incident.

Source: The Fayetteville Observer

10 Responses to “County Health Department Compensates Dog Owner For Dog Poisonings”

  1. Steph says:

    She could of practiced a little common sense. Rat Poision is posion…I would not let my dogs around it.

  2. Nancy G. says:

    It’s scary and disgusting how ill-informed many of these pesticide people are. At the National Zoo in Washington DC a few years ago, 2 rare Red Pandas died from eating a rat poison that was “misapplied.” I agree, poison is poison, if it will kill rats it will kill dogs and cats. But then, when you have a licensed and presumably trained professional standing there, telling you something, you might tend to believe them. Unbelievable that this guy still has his license. What next- a child dying from more “misapplied” poison?

  3. Lynn says:

    Stupidity abounds in this case - all the way around.

  4. G in INdiana says:

    When our neighbors had an ant infestation, they called the local Orkin franchise. Those dopes didn’t even know what they were using in their mixtures! The guy on the phone told her he wasn’t sure what they used but that it “worked good”. Um yeah, you spray this stuff all over people’s homes and you don’t know what it is? You breathe it in and have it on your skin and clothes too.
    As for the home owner, as long as the rats are out side who cares? What she should have done was remove any and all places they could hide (wood piles, etc), remove the food from the back yard (bird feeders, open trash cans), and use some common sense. If you have to use poison, make sure the dogs or cats cannot get to where it is applied.
    If those workers knew anything about rats, they’d know they like to travel close to fences and not out in the open. It would have been safer and more effective if they had used a container like the Decon boxes instead of spreading it all over the yard.
    As Lynn says, stupidity abounds in this case and the dogs bore the brunt of it.

  5. Katie says:

    I agree stupidity all around. Poison is poison. What she should have done was asked for the “chemical sheet” as well as calling the main office. The poor dogs paid the price.

    They use large Decon boxes in southern Arizona for pack rats but they pull the bait out and carry it around. Those boxes aren’t foolproof either.

    Anyone using baits or sprays should be aware of their toxicity for both humans and animals; whether applied indoors or outside.

    Katie

  6. Nancy G. says:

    I’ve read that organizations in third world countries with a large rat problem, and also kids, dogs, etc roaming around, put down instant potato flakes. The rats and mice eat them, drink water, and they theoretically explode their stomachs as the flakes expand. And since I first heard this back in the ’70s, it is not some Internet hoax going around. But yeah, if rats didn’t have food and hiding places, they’d move on. Isn’t it scary that beauticians seem to have stricter licensing requirements than exterminators using highly dangerous poisons?

  7. June says:

    Bet that county employee got his job through the patronage system. And the taxpayers will be picking up the tab, as usual. I don’t agree with blaming the owner for this. That strikes me as a little cruel and the owner already has learned not to trust ‘the experts’ about pesticide risks in the cruelest way possible.

    I just hope the story educates others.

  8. mittens says:

    i absolutely refuse to allow my landlord to apply poisons inside my apartment. i’ve worked in the food industry for years-the pest’ ‘professionals’ are anything but so just because some dolt in a blue jumpsuit wants to spray crap everyway is every reason to not let them. they all seem to always have this grey blue skin tone and would eat things in hand- like if you gave them a cookie-without washing the spray off themselves. not among the lord’s brightest creatures. they also used to lie about infestations that weren’t to charge more for their alleged ‘ services’ and we had one lie to the health department about our facility because we fired them.

    i have had 4-6 cats for the last 10 years so everyone in the building would get mice but me. they can put the glue traps under the sinks as long as the cats can’t get them but absolutely no poison. ive never seen a sign of mice or rats for that matter anywhere in my apartment.

  9. Anonymous says:

    Do you have any idea how cruel glue traps are? I’ve caught and realeased dozens of mice using humane mouse traps. It only takes a minute to be compassionate.

  10. mittens says:

    rats carry diseases- at work we have to have the glue traps by LAW. when we had a squirrel invasion we went out and got the ‘have a heart traps’ ourselves with our own money so they wouldnt be exterminated by the building owner . in a food manufacturing i think you’ll find you cannot tolerate rats and you cant set up a petting zoo of traps when you’re making food for human consumption.

    my landlord insisted on the traps- which is his right as other tenants had mice- they could turn him into the health board for not getting rid of them.it doesn’t bother me at all( and i have had pet rats) and as i said i have cats- never had a mouse. if it helps your mind the traps have remained empty for 10 years. however is the glue trap any crueler then miss kitty toying with a half dead mouse for 2 hours then gifting you with it’s bloody heart still beating body?


Close
E-mail It