The Cumberland County Health Department in North Carolina has paid a dog owner $1,500 after two of her dogs died when rat poison was misapplied to her yard.
Earlier this year, Lisa Rey had the Health Department kill rats that were in her back yard. The Health Department employee set out the green poisonous pellets and told Rey it would not be a risk to her three dogs.
Rey said, “His exact words were, â€˜They would have to eat their weight in it.â€™” But two of her dogs died from eating the poison placed out by the employee.
In August, the North Carolina Department of Agriculture’s Structural Pest Control & Pesticide Division issued a violation notice to the employee and the Health Department saying that the poison was misapplied.
The Health Department compensated Rey $1,500 for her medical bills and the loss of her two dogs.
The employee that misapplied the poison still has his license, and the Health Department was not fined for the incident.
Source: The Fayetteville Observer