Phillip, an 11-month-old chocolate Labradoodle, is a brave dog. He saved his owner, Lynda Reynolds, and the other family dog, Jake, from a large female Western Diamondback rattlesnake.
Reynolds was letting the dogs out to the backyard and opened the door to her sun porch. Suddenly, Phillip pushed Reynolds and Jake away from an armoire, which was where the rattlesnake was hiding.
She called the sheriff’s office and the deputy that reported to the scene found the snake curled underneath the armoire and ready to attack. The deputy caught the six-foot long rattlesnake and removed it from Reynold’s house.
Reynolds thought the snake adventure was finally over. But three hours later, she noticed that Phillip was having difficulty breathing, was drooling, and swollen.
“I knew something was wrong when he didn’t get into bed beside me. I looked for him and found him at the front door dying. It was then that I found the bites,” said Reynolds. “He was bitten twice on the head, twice on the leg and once on the chest. I don’t even know how or when he got the bites.”
She called her veterinarian and was told that she needed to go to an emergency veterinary center. The cost would be $2,000 to help Phillip, but there was no guarantee that Phillip would recover.
Instead Reynolds took her brave dog home and tried to make him as comfortable as possible. Fortunately, Phillip made it through the night.
The next morning, she called friends to see what could be done with Phillip’s bites. She heard that horse groomers used DMSO, dimethyl sulfoxide, on wounds and it reduces swelling and helps with the healing process.
Reynolds has continued with her DMSO treatment, and Phillip is getting better each day. He is now back to his happy and normal self.
All of the swelling has gone and there is no infection, and all that remains are the bite marks.
Reynolds first rescued Phillip in January. When she first saw him, he had parvo, worms and kennel cough. He was also suffering from starvation and dehydration. Now, after several months, this dog has grown and is healthy and is now a hero to Reynolds.
She said that ever since the rattlesnake incident, Phillip “stops and sniffs at the armoire every time he goes out now. Wouldn’t you?”
Source: Arizona Range News