Drs. Fosters and Smith Recall Expanded

• Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM
    6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966)
    with a “BEST BY” date of FEB 09 09
  • Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM
    6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966), 30lb (#12967),
    30lb Case Pack 2-bag (#13870), 30lb Case Pack 4-bag (#13871)
    with a “BEST BY” date of FEB 26 09
  • #27046-CKN Country Classic Dinnersâ„¢ - Chicken Stew (canned cat food) — This was covered in the Menu Foods recall on Wednesday.

Full releases after the jump.

(Thanks PetSitUSA)

For Immediate Release: 05/04/07
Drs. Foster & Smith Press Release

DRY DOG FOOD RECALL EXPANDED
Only 1,174 customers affected - all contacted immediately by email, phone, or USPS

In a precautionary measure, Chenango Valley has expanded its recall list to include additional foods - even formulas with no wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate - that may have been processed utilizing the same equipment as previously-recalled products.

We have been informed today by Chenango Valley that two production lots of Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM (see below) may have been processed sequentially after another product that has since tested positive for Melamine. Even though manufacturing equipment is thoroughly cleaned between production runs, and Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Foods do NOT contain ANY wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate, we are participating in this precautionary recall with your dog’s best health at heart.

We know these are upsetting times for pet owners. Please rest assured that no confirmed illness or death has been reported from feeding Drs. Foster & Smith brand foods during any precautionary recall to date.

The products affected by this expanded precautionary recall are:

• Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM
    6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966)
    with a “BEST BY” date of FEB 09 09
  • Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM
    6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966), 30lb (#12967),
    30lb Case Pack 2-bag (#13870), 30lb Case Pack 4-bag (#13871)
    with a “BEST BY” date of FEB 26 09

If any of your bags of Lamb & Brown Rice Formula match the descriptions above, please discontinue feeding and contact us for a replacement bag at no charge for product or shipping. (To identify the “BEST BY” expiration date, please inspect the top right of the back label.)

Please call our Customer Care Team between 9am - 7pm CST at 1-800-239-7121 or email us at CustomerService@DrsFosterSmtih.com if you have any questions.

We are directly contacting all 1174 customers affected by this precautionary recall by email, phone or USPS. If your pet has consumed any of the recalled food listed above and shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately.

While the levels of contact with melamine may be low, or non-existent, we will err on the side of caution and recall Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM as the amount and mechanism of melamine - and the health risk associated with melamine - is not known.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END RELEASE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Immediate Release: 05/02/07
Drs. Foster & Smith Press Release
CANNED FOOD RECALL EXPANDED
Less than 700 customers affected - all contacted immediately by email, phone, or USPS

In a precautionary measure, Menu Foods has expanded its recall list to include any foods - even formulas with no wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate - that may have been processed utilizing the same equipment as previously-recalled products.

We have been informed today by Menu Foods that a batch of Drs. Foster & Smith Country Classic Dinnersâ„¢ Chicken Stew canned cat foods (#27046) may have been processed sequentially before or after a product that is currently recalled.

Even though manufacturing equipment is thoroughly cleaned between production runs, and Country Classic Dinnersâ„¢ do not contain ANY wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate, we are participating in this precautionary recall with your cat’s best health at heart.

As part of this precautionary recall, we encourage you to please discontinue feeding your pet the following food:

#27046-CKN Country Classic Dinnersâ„¢ - Chicken Stew (canned cat food)

Any customer who purchased the above item between Jan 1, 2007 - May 2, 2007 will be contacted directly with further details. If you have any questions, please call our Customer Care Team between 9am - 7pm CST at 1-800-239-7121 or email us at CustomerService@DrsFosterSmtih.com

Fortunately, less than 700 customers are affected by this precautionary recall, a new production batch of Chicken Stew canned cat foods will be available again after June 1st, 2007. In the meanwhile, you may consider trying Country Classic Dinnersâ„¢ Trout & Brown Rice or Savory Salmon flavors, which are currently available.

While the levels of contact with melamine may be low, or non-existent, we will err on the side of caution and recall Country Classic Dinnerâ„¢ Chicken Stew as the amount and mechanism of melamine - and the health risk associated with melamine - is not known.

63 Responses to “Drs. Fosters and Smith Recall Expanded”

Whens the criminal investigation begin?

2. Debra says:

New Wegman’s cat food recall…not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet or not:

Another Friday Night Special

4. Kelly says:

Natural Balance had recently responded to me via email that their Organic line of dry dog food is manufactured by Chenango Foods of NY. I’m just waiting…….

5. Kim says:

The Wegmans cat food recall was included in the Menu Foods expanded recall from Wednesday. (Wegmans dog food was included in the original menu Foods recall)

6. alabelreader says:

Kelly…….can you fill me in, that’s what I am using, I called them today and also received email from them. They say all domestic ingredients
    except some whole grains occasionally from Canada…….

What did I miss with Chenango Foods.?

7. YaYa says:

This “dry” issue has Not throughly been explained for me yet.

And the fact too that there is alot of “brown rice” in these later recalls is Bugging me ALOT!

Brown rice and lamb ingredients, are used alot for pet who are ALREADY SICK or have some sort of health issue going on. Am I right? {and yes there are those who go for the taste too, but}

Do you suppose the melamine tainted glutens wheat or rice are mixed and then dried IN-TO it?

I thought the Glutens were mostly to make ‘gravies’ and thicken the Canned foods.

Oh well…..

Geees spose Foster’s phone line will work tomorrow for customers? It’s Saturday. Don’t they do mostly Mail/online orders? {they should have a List of their customers too}

ok, i’m a little slow here. are we going to have to go through a round of recalls with every factory that already recalled because of “cross contamination”?

something stinks.

9. alabelreader says:

looked up Chenago foods…..they make the Dr. Fosters and Smiths dry that was recalled, and other brands, so I guess it’s possible there could
    be cross contamination.

10. E. Hamilton says:

Tell, exactly how do you “cross contaminate” all this freaking food? I never bought the cross contamination excuse anyway but what where they doing, stomping the various mixes like Lucy Richardo and the grapes, on the floor of some vast warehouse o poison?

11. Kiki says:

Why are Friday nights dedicated to recall expansions and why don’t they just RECALL - once and for all. How many more recall expansions can everyone take? I’m personally at my limit with this. Every expansion just solidifies in my own mind that the FDA does not have anything under control and the scope of the problems have not been identified let alone contained. Feeding your pets ANY commercial pet food at this time is just a big crap shoot.

12. Lisa Clay says:

It IS annoying that we keep getting this information on FRIDAY’s and you know they plan it that way. What bugs me is that trusting pet owners, believing their food is okay are feeding it, believing that they are doing the right thing.

I went through that when I bought Natural Balance, before their first recall. Because I am so paranoid, the minute they recalled a few products, I didn’t FEED ANY that I purchased, even though they weren’t recalled.

There is a possibility I could be out of work soon, and I think at that time I will be able to cook. At least I know if I buy the organic meats (not the melamine meats), that AT least I know I cook with clean utensils, using human grade products in my CLEAN kitchen.

If there were more of us, we could all get together and start our OWN pet food business. I am guessing that will start to happen.

13. Jenny says:

and it goes on, and on, and on, and on.

14. ~Martha~ says:

It’s getting so that even those paying close attention to each recall are getting confused as expanded recalls overlap each other.

Gee, ya think this could be on purpose?

15. Sara Holt says:

I think after what I am feeding now is eaten or I have to send back with the next several recalls, I will start feeding Orijen.

16. Petra says:

I think @ this point anyone with a pet who loves them dearly understands that if u want to keep them healthy its going to take homework on your part to ensure the ingredients are clean and pure. It may also involve your time and further expense if u decide to home cook which is much healthier despite all the dire warnings. Anyone buying off the shelf pet food now or in the future is risking their pets lives down the road. In addition you will continue to promote companies that have compromised or killed our pets. There are many small, holistic, organic manufacturers of clean pet food out there. Find them, use them, promote them! Any changes to the pet food industry in the future will never ensure that u are feeding your pets healthy food. It’s up to each of us to do that.

17. LovingMyPets says:

Petra,

VERY WELL SAID!!!

OH, IF ONLY EVERYONE WOULD AGREE, THAT’S THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THESE BIG COMPANIES HURT.

18. Sophie says:

Does any one know anything about Azmira canned or Pet Guard canned dog food?? Good or bad?? Thanks!!

19. Judy says:

Something “stinks” is right!
    If the machinery is cleaned before each run, what’s the problem?
    Me thinks they are putting the gluten et al, into foods where it isn’t in the recipe.
    Who knows why? Maybe they run short of something else at times, and fill in wherever they can, with whatever they can.

20. LovingMyPets says:

Sophie,

I’ve been reading these posts for a long time, and I haven’t heard anything about Azmira or Pet Guard at all. Now, that might be a good thing, huh?

You might want to call the companies and have a chat with them about your concerns. I personally don’t trust ANY commercial pet food company . . . just in case they may lie. I trust my homemade food. ;)

21. Carol says:

This domino effect with the pet food recalls continuing could have been halted if all the players , Menu -et al -and the FDA, took this more seriously with a proactive not reactive approach.

22. SaturdayNoos » Cat Blogosphere says:

[…] Drs. Fosters and Smith Recall Expanded - May 4th, 2007 Due to possible cross contamination with other foods, Drs. Fosters and Smith is recalling three additional formulas: (2 dry for dogs, 1 wet for cats)     * Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM       6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966)       with a "BEST BY" date of FEB 09 09     * Drs. Foster & Smith Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice FormulaTM       6lb (#12965), 15lb (#12966), 30lb (#12967),       30lb Case Pack 2-bag (#13870), 30lb Case Pack 4-bag (#13871)       with a "BEST BY" date of FEB 26 09     * #27046-CKN Country Classic DinnersT - Chicken Stew (canned cat food) […]

23. maddy says:

I have called Petguard and so have many others including The PeT Food List. They do not respond. They originally suggested people feed organic and were evasive to all on recall. I have fed petguard and spoken to them in the past. There evasiveness is a betrayal to all - and for a company who has always said they care about animals. Their site tells you NOTHING. I stopped feeding Petguard due to the evasive, wait for the shoe to drop, hiding self - as if they were to be next. They are made by menu foods.

Two or so nights ago I sent Petguard a note adking them to break their deafening silence. They have not responded. I am so disappointed in this company. It caused me to then fed what became questionable choices, not known at the time. I consider them obnoxious in their betrayal of all those who believed their product and company to be among the best and certainly caring.

24. Sophie says:

I also e-mailed Petguard yesterday and have not heard anything back from them. The store here that sells Petguard also sells Azmira but I don’t know anything about them either. This is all so very fustrating!!

25. bw says:

Re: PetGuard food.
    I will not feed Pet Guard to my cats because……..
    My vet who has stopped feeding her cats Hills, told me she is feeding them Pet Guard canned because it is organic, so I went and got some. In the parking lot, I called them begging to know WHO PROCESSES their canned food. I spent 10 minutes with them on the phone, they WOULD NOT REVEAL WHO PROCESSED THEIR CANNED FOOD!! They said THEIR LAWYERS told them NOT TO SAY BECAUSE IT IS PROPRIETARAY INFO. When I wasn’t satisfied with that, she said they were afraid of “sabotage.”
    I said she didn’t have to tell me WHO, just say YES OR NO TO MENU!!
    She WOULD NOT DO THAT EITHER! When you consider all the companies who have by this time revealed who makes their foods, whether voluntarily or against their will, this infuriated me. I will NOT feed their food. It may be fine, but……

26. bw says:

Petra, It is extremely difficult for some of us, well for me at least, to stop feeding all “off the shelf” food. I rescue and have many cats. The freeze dried and frozen food is extremely expensive and beyond my reach. I have tried to cook for them and they will not eat the human grade chicken I cook, and now I am glad they didn’t. They don’t want the black angus beef either.
    NONE OF THEM would eat it, perhaps they knew something I didn’t.
    I am feeding them Innova EVO dry food and Fancy Feast canned WITHOUT wheat gluten, about 4 flavors. I have a 16 year old with beginning kidney disfunction and he shouldn’t eat the EVO due to high phosphorus, and he refuses to eat it anyway. Sooo, I am praying every day that I don’t see these 4 Fancy Feast flavors recalled.
    I am going to try Orijen dry now when it comes in on Tuesday, but I have questions about all the botanical inclusions in it. I don’t know why they are there, or if they really are good for cats. Never saw so many before. I asked in the itchmo forums, but haven’t gotten any replies and can’t find info online anywhere, except that marigold is poisonous , and it is in the food, DON’T KNOW WHY. I know it is supposed to keep rabbits and other animals away from gardens!
    No matter how good the quality, it doesn’t help if they won’t eat it. Mine turn most supposedly good quality canned down. Thank goodness they turned down all the Nutro foods.

27. Phyllis says:

Judy and BW: Pet Guard isn’t telling any body anything. Look at this:

Site Title : PetGuard -Natural Pet Food, Nutritional holistic organic …

URL : http://www.petguard.com/

Description : PetGuard, Providing natural pet food, holistic, organic food and supplies for happier, more natural, healthier lives for your pet.

Additional Information :
    Not Available

SILENCE IS NOT GOLDEN, ITS WHAT MY KIDS USED TO PULL WHEN THEY DID NOT WANT TO ADMIT WHO DID IT!

28. YaYa says:

Maddy, I appreciate hearing from another perspective on PetGuard foods. I was using the Organic cat. I am making homemade now, for the duration and to help my cat along in getting over this. She had a more unusual reaction to food that I’d fed for Years, in Feb 06.

Vet said Go Organic. Petguard was one of the only ones I found and readily on the shelf. Used it for a few weeks until I started the Homemade.

I’ve called Petguard severa times before and they’ve answered my questions or called back with answers.

I did buy a can of their Regular cat food,the cat had a it and like it but it s Not “organic”.

I won’t say anything negative about You calling them or of your feelings in regards to them. I respect it.
    I believe you.

I’ve got time to feed my cat Homemade for now and until ALL of them {Companies}, get their act together, I guess we had All better make some hard decisions.

I wish One Company would publish EVERY FACT in regards to their Cat and Dog food and ALL Ingredients and ALL that that entails for Us. REMOVE ALL Doubts.

I got fed up with the customers having to be the ones, to sift through the Long lists of codes etc for Answers as to WHAT WAS LEFT!

IT SHOULD BE DUMPED! Period!

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN Plants and Ingredients BEGUN.

I say the first Company to PROVE ALL OF THIS IN WRITING, WINS THE RACE!

And “E-A-R-N-S” IT!

Heck they could probably write off the losses in their Taxes next year.

Tho, I know, WE can’t write off OUR Losses. :-(

29. Phyllis says:

I am still looking. But, I am shocked to find PETA’s documentation that IAMS conducts experiements on animals. :> S

This has links to PET FOODS THAT DO NOT TEST ON ANIMALS.

30. Phyllis says:

By the way, Pet Guard is on the self reported list as not testing on animals.

31. Dianne S says:

Does anyone feed the canned Spot’s Stew chicken or Life’s Abundance Dry Adult? What do you think about these?

32. Paul says:

Remember in the Planet of the Apes, why the apes became pets, because all the dog and cats died. scary thought. Maybe this was a test, for a future posining of us by an nother country??? to we if would catch it

33. Maryn Sue says:

Sophie is the only one I’ve heard of who has gotten any response from PetGuard. I called twice and was told that everyone was on the phone and someone would call me back and I’ve emailed 3 times in the last 6 weeks. I’ve heard nothing. No more Petguard for me.

34. JesseJ says:

I started feeding a raw diet using the prey model method a little more than a year ago. I am so glad I did. I am worrying about my friends pets but not about my own. I don’t know what is going on but I think there is more involved than just the melamine and rice protein. A friend of mine thinks genetically modified grains may have a part in this.

35. LovingMyPets says:

JesseJ Says:
    May 5th, 2007 at 9:04 pm

“I don’t know what is going on but I think there is more involved than just the melamine and rice protein. A friend of mine thinks genetically modified grains may have a part in this.”

Wow, Jesse, that’s very interesting . . . I don’t know much about ‘genetically modified grains’, but hopefully many others will chime in about what they know. Anyone would like to share their knowledge????

36. AJ says:

Judy made a comment or a question about the so called cross contamination excuse and asked “What do the companies just put wheat or rice gluten into formulas where it isnt supposed to be just to fill in for another possibly missing or in short supply ingrediant” the remark is 100% correct! One of the companies Blue Buffalo has suspended making their food until they can find another producer they can trust because their previous producer admitted they were adding uncalled for ingrediants to their formula without the companies knowledge or approval and admitted to doing so for some time already. I sincerely hope the Blue Buffalo company is successful in finding a producer they can trust, I don’t feel there is much of anyone left to trust in the petfood business. Its all about greed and making more and more money and that is where it ends. No concern for any pets or customers, just want their money and that is all.

37. jean says:

hi Dianne S–

I got a sample pack of the HealthyPetNet foods recently. I think the quality of the food is good, and my cat–who would not eat home cooked–nearly tore the plastic overwrap when the samples arrived. She likes the canned very much. I haven’t given her any of the Life’s Abundance dry yet.

That said, two things nag at me about this company:
    I can’t figure out from the web-site if they manufacture the food themselves. I think they might because the parent company, Trilogy, is a maker of fish oil supplements for people, a few other supplements, and green cleaning products for the home. But I’m not certain.

And I am turned off by their sales system. It’s all about building selling teams so that head distributors can make more profit. The business leaders of the company are marketing folks with no particular health/pet/science background. But, of course, the formula is created by a holistic vet who seems quite well qualified. And the web-site says she holds weekly call-in sessions for customers.

So, I just haven’t made up my mind yet. Their web-site is pretty forthcoming and timely about this crisis, and I like that.

38. Mary Sue says:

Jean, I got the HealthyPetNet sample pack too. The cats loved the dry which is unusual. I haven’t tried the canned because I think I remember reading somewhere that they make all of their products except one, which led me to believe that the canned cat food is made somewhere else. Menu or ANI maybe? I can’t find where I saw it and I could be mistaken because I’ve read so much. I haven’t made up my mind yet, either. I need to do more research.

39. Anna says:

I received a call from Foster’s and Smith last week recalling their dry lite cat-food. The service rep wanted to know “what I wanted to do?” I was so caught off guard. I asked about the regular cat food i.e. was there any problems? She had me hold on while she read her e-mail!!! for updates .CLUELESS! I did recieve a replacement of the regular dry food. Now the dry dog food is being recalled. I’m Sending it all back Monday,but what do I do with the 30 pounds of recalled food? bury it! Now I’m feeding them Natura products the healthwise chickenmeal and rice formula and Innova EVO no grain. I hope these two are ok. Please update me if anyone hears anything.

LovingMyPets, JesseJ: A problem with GMO grains is that they are mostly modified to prevent pests from eating them. Many of these grains produce their own pesticides, right in the plant….sooooo you can’t wash it off because it is formed by the plant, caused by DNA. Well if a grain kills bugs, what else does it kill? This stuff has been planted all over without proper studies, and guess what! Pollen doesn’t just sit in the field the grain is planted in. It travels. It travels to OTHER grain fields and pollinates NORMAL grains, and after enough time passes we will have ONLY frankenfood grain, which is not sufficiently studied for toxicity. We also don’t know what all the possible chemical reactions of all the chemical cocktails we are ingesting are. If melamine + cyanuric acid equal lethal kidney stones, what else have we got to worry about? The GMO grains are planted all over the US, and more crop plants are being altered all the time. It is very possible these grains are making us and our pets sick in addition to the melamine poisoning.

41. LovingMyPets says:

Helen,

I’m speechless! OMG, this doesn’t sound good. This is not sounding good at all with all that we have to worry about with the melamine too. All this messing with ingredients and with natural products was bound to become a disaster! I’m sure many people have called this . . . they knew this would happen . . . and here it is. WOW.

Thank you Helen for this very valuable information. I’m sure it’s going to stir up a lot of conversation. I certainly would love to learn more about it!

42. jean says:

An update for Dianne S–

If you look at the Life’s Abundance web-site under dog food, they give more info about manufacturing. They say their food is manufactured by a third generation family business, that the plant is USDA inspected and meets European quality standards as well. All ingredients are human grade US sourced. And they farm their own fish–makes sense, as Trilogy makes fish oil supplements for people.

43. jean says:

For Mary Sue–
    I SO hope you’re misremembering! But check out this site::there’s a section of Q/A with Dr Jane. It mentions that all food (this may precede the canned food development) is manufactured in a human-grade plant in Ohio, and that no other pet foods are manufactured there.

It just doesn’t sound like they’d choose to go to an outside mass manufacturer of pet foods like Menu, unless this company really is full of you-know-what.

Here’s an article on frankenfood:

Google “frankenfood” and you will get all sorts of scary info. Serveral varieties of frankenfood are already loose and cross-pollinating normal food.

45. Elena L says:

LOVINGMYPETS said:”I don’t know much about ‘genetically modified grains’, but hopefully many others will chime in about what they know. Anyone would like to share their knowledge????”
    Here you go,look on left side for Genetic Engineering
    For those interested in Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL)
    Here’s a petition link
    Sign the petition or use as a guide and write to congress.
    If COOL had been implemented when it was scheduled to in September 2004,we may very well not be seeing a disaster of this magnitude.We’d sure have been spared the agony of wondering and begging for info from pet food companies.

46. Mary Sue says:

Jean, I’ll call Life’s Abundance tomorrow and report back.

47. Dianne S says:

Thanks Jean!
    I appreciate your input on Life’s Abundance. I, too, was kindof but not quite sold on them, but I think I may give them a try. There is a little salt in the product and I am not sure about the beet pulp being a top listed ingredient. I want to cook for my little girl, but am a little scared of that too. Have never been so confused in my entire life about the health care of my pet and what is the absolute best way to care for them. You guys have been a god send. Any thoughts on long lasting chew treats? I used to give her dingo’s that would satisfy her for the long lasting chew. BUT with their jerky treat recalled , I will never be feeding her thoses again.

48. Mary Sue says:

Jean, Diane, et al - I just found what I thought I had read somewhere about Life’s Abundance. I copied it from the petfoodlist site. See below. My guess is that the one product manufactured at Menu Foods is the canned cat food.

“Life’s Abundance by Healthy Pet Net (verified by company 3/28/07)

One product manufactured by Menu Foods but not in the suspect facility
    Most products are manufactured by Ohio Pet Foods
    Products do not contain wheat gluten or corn
    All products are human quality”

49. Nancy says:

I am really angry about all of this. What about the Pedigree foods, Meow Mix, and Fancy Feast? As far as I know, these foods are all good to feed and always have been and still are. They too must be taking a hit in all of this.

50. May says:

“The House Agriculture Committee will hold a hearing next week to look into the problem with contaminated feedstuffs from China. Committee Chair, Collin Peterson says as part of that, they are going to consider moving all food inspection functions to USDA. Peterson says it would be the sensible thing to do, “They are the people that know how to do this.” The Minnesota Democrat believes additional funding and inspectors for the Food and Drug Administration would not, “Get a whole lot better results.” Peterson says there is work being done on legislation that would transfer the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) back to USDA from the Department of Homeland Security.”

Just what will it take to put the security back into Homeland Security? We’ve given them YEARs and MILLIONs, what more do they need?

Grrrr.

51. Patricia says:

does anyone know anything about Pedigree. Their product also contains wheat gluten but i haven’t heard anything about them being recalled for anything. Does anyone know who their manufacturer is?

52. betty gossett says:

Lifes Abundance dry is made by a plant in Ohio. BUT, the canned is made by MENU Foods. I am using the dry and so far no problems. I will NOT use the canned. I am using caned (for humans) chicken with no salt added for wet food.
    Not that I am recommending it, but, for someone on a tight budget, I fed Nine lives canned prior to the recalls. It has never been on the recall list and is not made by menu foods.
    Flint River says they DO use GMO ingredients. I had considered them, but that was enough to remove them as a choice for me.

53. betty gossett says:

AS far as the FDA (or any government dept) they look more at how trade agreements, & big corporations will be affected than the harm that may be done to humans or pets. It takes something like this to bring some attention to it. And from what I see, they are still trying to keep it as quiet as possible and only do enough to “look like” they are doing something about it. Homeland Security appears to be a joke.

54. TEALCSMOMMY says:

I noticed some kind of menadione (supplemental vitamin K) is used in the Petguard dry dog food. A similar menadione was used in Life’s Abundance and it has been removed from Life’s Abundance because it can be toxic to your dog. I wouldn’t take a chance with this Petguard.

55. Jo says:

It makes one wonder if we are the Lab Rats to see how quick things are taken care of and the impact on our population. I have always told my husband, everything starts with the animals, mainly the cats and dogs before the humans get it. Research on meds and such. When this first started, I told him, this is going to get bad, very bad. That gut feeling and I had that gut feeling from the first recall. Working for a Vet, I have seen some really strange things going on with all the animals and watched him scratch his head and research over the strange things that were happening and I only answer the phones and take care of the ones that have to spend a night or two. So, I don’t even see the Clinic Days when it hits hard. It makes one thing very very hard about what is going on…..

56. jean says:

To Mary Sue and Dianne–

Thanks! Well, this is bad news. Your post says “Ohio Pet Foods” but their materials say a human-grade food plant and that theirs (dry, I guess) is the only pet food produced there: do you think they’re lying?

I fed the sample can and my cat loved it. She wouldn’t touch Evangers tonight. Trying Merricks tomorrow. But I guess I’ll buy the dry at this point: I just don’t want to buy another bag of Hills.

57. Mary Sue says:

To those above interested in Life’s Abundance and PetGuard:

I spoke with someone at Trilogy/Life’s Abundance yesterday. Their canned cat food is made by Menu. I haven’t used the sample can so it’s going in the trash and won’t use any of their products in light of that.

I actually got PetGuard to call me back. It only took 6 weeks. They are no longer adding menadione to any of their products, as of about a month ago. They will continue to use the old packaging until they use it up, just as Evanger’s is doing.

We actually had quite a long conversation. Here’s the gist of it. I told her there was great concern re: their refusal to say who manufactures their foods. She said it is in the contract with their manufacturers (note more than one) that they can’t. She said that any distributor who told any retailer where their food is made (Pied Piper) was just speculating and that she, a customer service rep, doesn’t even know. (Believe that?) She said that if they say where they make it then information will get out about proportions of ingredients, processes, etc. (That doesn’t make sense to me. Saying where you’re made doesn’t tell your secret proportions or processes.) She said we shouldn’t rely on the blogs and that we should put our efforts toward calling our representative to get laws changed. I said we are doing that too, but that blogs are an important way to share information and place to air our feelings. She said that Pet Guard is focusing on the animals, as they have always done, and that is their first and formost goal so they will just have to deal with people’s mistrust over their non-discloure. They use organic ingresients, all from the USA, were the first to add ester-c to their products, etc. etc. She was defensive, I was not satisfied, but it was an interesting and informative conversation.

58. Mary Sue says:

Jean,

My cats won’t touch the Merrick or even get close enough to lick it. I’ve tried 2 kinds, so that’s it for Merrick.

They love the Evanger’s organic turkey with butternut squash - go figure. They like the organic chicken. The holistic pheasant is a no go. You might try adding a little water and warming it up a bit at first. That got mine going on the two that they like.

59. Mary Sue says:

Patricia, I think Pedigree is a Purina product, but I’m not sure. You can just do a search for the website. Wheat gluten is added to raise the protein content and act as a binding agent. t’s not in and of itself toxic, but it’s not a particulary good food for dogs and cats.

And the news just out is that the contaminated product was not wheat gluten afterall, but wheat flour (labeled as gluten) to which melamine had been added to raise the protein content rather than going through the more costly process of producing the gluten!

60. Mary Sue says:

Nancy,

I think some people’s concerns about Pedigree, Meow Mix, Fancy Feast, and many others are the fillers, by-products, and additives that are in the ingredients.

61. Mary Sue says:

CORRECTION TO MY 9:35 POST - sorry I didn’t mean to put Pied Piper in the 9:35 message above. Too much information running around in my head and I’m confusing companies.

62. Patricia says:

Thanks Mary Sue for the info on Pedigree. Do you happen to know about EVO dog food. I’ve been reading about it on their website. This is a grain free dog food with no gluten at all or flour.

My only concern is that comment from Tealscmommy about - menadione (supplemental vitamin K).

Is this the same as just plain Vitamin K1 - which is a nutritional fact listed in the EVO Reduced Fat dry dog food. Also I spoke with a rep. and they make their own dry food/ biscuits. BUT menu food does their canned food but in a different Menu food plant (don’t recall where).

63. Mary Sue says:

Patricia,
    I don’t know about Evo. Check http://www.naturapet.com/.

Regarding the menadione and other ingredients that shouldn’t be in pet foods. See

And be aware that what is on the label is not necessarily what is in the can or bag. Formulas change, but companies use up their old labels. Evanger’s is a case in point. They haven’t been putting menadione in food since September 2006, yet it is still on labels. My understanding about menadione is that it is a less expensive source of vitamin k than vitamin k itself (not sure of the difference), but that it is not a necessary nutrient in pet food unless the food is more than 25% fish (as stated by Evy of Kumpi earlier in this blog or maybe a different one). Now that I am getting more educated on these issues I am not buying any foods with menadione. And none of my animals eat much fish.

I’m pretty well settled (for now) on Felidae dry and Evanger’s organic canned for the cats, and home cooked (and Canidae dry for one) for the dogs. I and they are getting pretty tired of changing. Good luck with your search.