Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein

Another pet food maker — Drs. Fosters & Smith — is issuing a recall due to the use of Wilbur-Ellis rice protein (scroll down their page to view the notice).

The recalled products are:

• Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog Food
  • Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Oddly, the manufacturer says they received the recall advice today from Wilbur-Ellis, not last week as we have heard.

Rice protein concentrate has been indicated as a possible source of melamine recently found in pet food products. As a precautionary measure Wilbur-Ellis company, the supplier of rice protein concentrate, is voluntarily recalling all lots of rice protein concentrate. We received notification from the manufacturer today, April 25, 2007, suggesting we issue a precautionary recall.

Full recall notice after the jump.

(Thanks Patti)

Precautionary Rice Protein Recall: Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog and Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Two of our products: Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) contain rice protein concentrate. Only the Adult Lite Dry Dog and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods contain rice protein concentrate.

Preliminary test results for melamine contamination have been negative. Final test results from the FDA are expected within two weeks. Please check the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food product pages on the DrsFosterSmith.com website for any updates.

If your pet has consumed either the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food and shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately.

As part of this precautionary recall Drs. Foster & Smith requests that customers discontinue feeding the following products purchased during the periods listed, until all FDA testing is complete:

• Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14180, 14262, 14263, or Adult Lite Dry Cat food item numbers 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865 purchased between January 22, 2007 and April 19th
  • Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14178 and 14179 purchased between February 2, 2007 and April 19, 2007
  • Only Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Dry Lite Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) are included in this precautionary recall.

The health and well being of your pet is always important to us, so as part of this precautionary recall:

• Drs. Foster & Smith is contacting all customers who have purchased these items during this period.
  • These products are being reformulated to eliminate rice protein concentrate. The new formulation should be available by mid-May.
  • Please call Customer Service at 1-800-239-7121 between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm CST or email CustomerService@DrsFosterSmith.com if you have questions.
  • None of our other Drs. Foster & Smith foods contain the ingredients in question.

255 Responses to “Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All

1. Kiki says:

Allie, I would rather my pets ate live whole animals than what is left for them in the slaughterhouses. I get your point and it is well taken. I’m not convinced that our pets are getting optimal muscle protein from healthy livestock. Even a live mouse has plenty of flesh protein for your cats to rip into while they are not licking their butts…:)

I see the Pet Food Industry as a Cartel at this point.

Rather then the independent producers in competition with each other they led us to believe.

In fact Pet Food Cabal might even be a better choice of words at this point.

3. Laurie says:

Allie-
    You made me burst out laughing.

4. Kiki says:

Laurie, there are all sorts of loop holes on how they can get away with stating the truth. Just ask about muscle/flesh protein from fit for human consumption slaughtered animals. It’s a very specific way of asking and most pet food companies could not respond in the affirmative.

5. Laurie says:

Kiki- thank you.

I will definitely call Natura/Innova…unless someone else has.

6. Kiki says:

Lorie -

read up on Fromms Dry or Honest Kitchen. Those are 2 companies that were specific - muscle protein, no rendered animal parts, no 4 d meat, humans can eat it.

7. Jenny says:

The only things I have heard about Merrick is speculation only. They do own a rendering plant for other reasons. But I have never heard anyone say for sure they use that rendering in their pet food.

8. allie says:

yeah, I’m sure that if I saw what goes on in a human grade slaughterhouse, I wouldn’t want to eat it either. heck, I still eat hot dogs, and those probably contain the stuff that’s leftover after they make the pet food :)

well, I’m just gonna keep my fingers crossed that chicken soup is safe, because they seem to be doing really well on it.

ITCHMO ADMIN: What, you couldn’t squeeze in a reference to butt licking this time? :P LOL Thanks for the laugh.

9. Jenny says:

Fromms canned food is made in China - says so right on the label.

Stephanie,

Diamond wet was in UTAH canned by ANI

Does any Back to Basic food contian RPC it has a plant at Chenago Valley also.

11. Jenny says:

I agree - I don’t think they need to be human grade either. But better than some of the stuff that is used with identified meat source. In the wild they would eat stuff we wouldn’t.

12. Stephanie says:

Thank you Lorie. I missed that one.

I seen that Back to Basic is also made at Chenango Valley. I think the pet food list states that there is no glutens. You may want to check it yourself.

13. Ally says:

allie - from one Ally to another ;-)……

Thanks huge for the butt licking comment! :D I haven’t laughed out loud since I saw the dog sex toy posted over at the Pet Connection’s blog. During such an anxiety ridden, head banging, stressful time as this recall, I really needed that laugh. At least your cats *can* lick their butts.

Oh wait - that didn’t come out right. =:-O

Kiki,

I do have some Fromms Dry Salmon fed my cat a handful and she loved it. It is made in WI only the wet is in China. I am just gun shy of too many foods at one time. This way if I my cats have a reaction I now which one it is because there is only one.

15. KatieKat says:

Can’t these Manufatureres be held accountable for touting that all the food on the shelves is safe, only to find out later they were in fact contaminated?

16. Kiki says:

Jennie: Yes Fromm’s dry ONLY - not canned. The dry is done nicely. I would never buy their canned.

Merrick: “everything but the moo”

17. Garyn says:

Lorie, I posted my lot numbers of the Fancy Feast in the tainted chicken thread.

18. Kiki says:

Sorry Jenny, spelled your name wrong. The Fromm’s dry food is great (I drilled them on it)- I wouldn’t buy their canned. I hope they reconsider their canned production.

Honest Kitchen got grilled by me too. Even though it is raw, you can still cook it if you want.

I’m looking for more on my short list. If anyone knows of any more companies, please share…

Garyn,

Thank you so much will add it to my spread sheet. : ) Finally got thru to FDA today to report FF.

20. Donna says:

I haven’t heared anything bad about Canidae, and I’m *really* hoping that I don’t. I’ve been using Felidae wet and dry.

21. Garyn says:

I am not trying to convince anyone to feed raw but I have to report that after a week and a half, the change is just amazing. My dog wags his tail furiously before every meal, he has so much natural energy (not carb energy), his coat is as soft as a bunny, his teeth are already pearly white and he does one very small absolutely beautiful poop a day (this tells me his body is using everything). I also feel so relieved. Well i did until the possible tainted chicken information but still so much more relieved than I have been in over a month. I am just throwing this out there in case anyone is thinking about it and needs some encouragement.

22. julia says:

Donna,

We also use Felidae. It is pretty much the only food that I find acceptable right now. Hopefully, I am not wrong.

23. Kiki says:

Garyn, I really want to feed raw because I have heard such great stories about it, but I’ve been so nervous (about bacteria or something). I just wish I had more confidence in raw, then I would do it and buy my meat from Americangrassfedbeef. Any thoughts or comments?

24. ~Martha~ says:

Steve,
    “Pet Food Cabal” is an excellent way to put it IMO too.

Garyn,

I called FDA number for Virginia 410-779-5713. I spoke to a lady last name Machon first name is written down at work anyway only know this because vet had to fax my cats labs to here attention at the FDA.

The lot number 1160 is popping up with a lot of us with dead or sick cats it means it was all made at the same plant.

Try calling that number tomorrow and see if Ms. Machon is available she will remember me from today she was very nice asked me where i purchased the food their address my vet their address my cat age wt and breed etc…………….

26. Dee says:

Steve — great observation that you see the pet food industry as a cartel. Can we say R.I.C.O.? Gee, I would so love to see them all prosecuted under R.I.C.O. statues, ’cause this sure has more than a whiff of organized crime to it. Anyone know any ambitious U.S. Attorneys looking to pad their resumes?

27. Michelle Jolly says:

I have started using Solid Gold and Eagle Pack Holistic SElect.

Does anyone know anything bad about that.

Thanks, Michelle

28. Cathy says:

I’ll be calling Merrick….. again….about the 4D beef. Today their website said they do not get any raw materials from China and all ingredients are grown in the U.S. I don’t feed my cat beef as he’s not a fan.. I feed him the turkey and “Grammys Pot Pie” whick uses organic chicken. I also heard today that some of this crap went to a chicken farm in MO. So they feed pet food to chickens and hogs???? I don’t know if it was a chicken farm for human consumption of pets.

29. Cathy says:

okay… I said that wrong.. I mean’t.. I don’t know if the chickens at this farm are bred for humans or for the pet food industry. GRRRRRRRR

30. susanUnPC says:

Have any of you tried By Nature’s wet food? Its Organic line lists the following (two examples) + vitamins/minerals:

+ Organic Turkey, Natural Well Water, Organic Turkey Liver, etc.
    + Organic Chicken, Natural Well Water, Whole Mackerel, Chicken Liver, .etc.

I bought a couple cans for my cats, and they love it. By Nature’s home page says: “By Nature Pet Foods would like to assure its customers that NONE of our products have been affected by the recent pet food recall. For more information please read this statement from the president of Blue Seal Feeds. Please call customer service at 1-800-367-2730 if you have further questions or concerns regarding the safety or quality of our products.

By Nature Pet Foods
    No Corn • No Wheat • No Soy

Help keep your pet feeling young with a powerful mix of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to promote a strong immune system. Formulated to help support your pet’s natural defenses against the effects of aging, illness, physical and environmental stress.”

Here’s the statement by the president:

31. Jules says:

Garyn,

Thank you so much for your fantastic post!! That’s a ray of encouragement for me and what I’ve been doing since the initial MenuFoods recall back in the middle of March!!!!!

I decided then (March 16th), that I would never feed my pets a commercial pet food again. My Bichon dog died on March 15th due to poisoning. Immediately, I switched my other dog and kitten’s diet to a raw diet with vitamin supplements. My 10 year old Rottie mix looks like a 5 year old now (according to my Vet) and her fur looks amazing . . . shiny and beautiful beyond words. Her eyes sparkle and she plays and runs like she’s a puppy!! My husband and I are stunned just looking at her! We will NEVER go back to commercial food again. My kitten is thriving as well.

Ok, we buy organic meat . . . but it’s SO worth it. Especially when I read how many people have spent thousands of dollars to save their pets at pet emergency clinics, only to lose them. I AM SOOO SORRY!!

Well, folks, I’m paying up front … the best food possible, and I hope to keep my pets well into their 20’s.

I hope I have encouraged others to follow as well.

32. Kiki says:

Cathy,

Good Luck with the Merrick conversation. I couldn’t get a straight answer out of them. Ask them why they have a rendering plant at the same location as the pet food plant. Ask them too what animal protein parts are used (muscle vs. other). I was frustrated by their responses and many, many people who live in Texas have confirmed much about the company.

33. Garyn says:

Kiki, I was nervous too..believe me. But now, i am just loving it. It has been pricey for me because I have been buying from the supermarket but I just found a grass fed farm about 40 minutes away so I have to buy a freezer!!

I am no expert believe me but I have really researched this. A great resource is http://tinyurl.com/2nosgf
    It is a raw feeding group and they really know what they are doing. They will answer any questions that you have. I would be happy to give you moral support!! Once you figure out what to feed, how much to feed and get over the initial nervousness, it is great. I never thought I would love the crunch, crunch, crunch sound of my dog chewing on a half a chicken.

Lorie I will call tomorrow. I have my post cards too!!

34. Kiki says:

Jules,

35. Bonni says:

Howl911 says there is STILL ONE MORE COMPANY since SmartPak and Drs. Foster and Smith both used the same one. :-(

Lorie

I just fed my cat a can of ff with the lot numbers you described. She hadn’t been able to keep anything down or eat for days so I went back to her old food in an attempt to get her to eat something. She has been pacing in circles for over an hour. What do I do? I can’t afford to take her to the vet.

Doctors tell humans not to eat animal organ meat, especially livers due to all the contaminants the animal was exposed to being concentrated in the liver. Does this not also apply to pets? Lots of people have gone raw and are feeding organ meat to their cats for taurine, but if it is not organic meat, this could be very dangerous…pesticides, heavy metals, etc.

38. Jules says:

Helen,

I totally agree with you … organic is a MUST! I feed raw organic chicken livers to my dog and cat for the past month and a half . . . and no problems yet!

Rendering plants are needed to dispose of animal material that would otherwise sit around rotting and causing a HUGE source of disease. The question is not whether the rendering plant exists, the question should be do they use the rendered remains in the food?

40. Sauvie says:

I have been feeding my pack Timberwolf Organics for the last few years and I am delighted with the way they love it. It was suggested to me by several people who are very knowledgeable about animal nutrition. I have never been happier about feeding this food, than since this recall mess. I feel very fortunate and I have faith that this is a very good, safe food. I do keep checking the lists though, just in case….

41. Garyn says:

Kiki, I postd a response to you but I don’t know where it went. I posted a link that I think will be helpful to you so maybe the post is being reviewed due to the link.

I also only feed organic livers.

42. Vicki T says:

Well, I just put in my two cents to Drs. Foster & Smith and told them they needed to put the pet food recall info “front & center” on their home page, instead of burying it in the left-hand column. And, I also told them I find their delay in recalling the products with rice protein to be reprehensible. I have bought several items from them in the past and I will NEVER do business with them again.

43. Alice says:

Lorie,

Double check the recall notice. (Description and lot numbers) Call the vet anyway tell him you just fed a can of food with the recalled lot numbers. Print the part above with the recall information on it and bring that and the can to the vet. Don’t let that empty can out of your sight, bring it back home with you and keep it. Call a friend for the money or put it on a credit card.

44. Jules says:

KiKi,

You wrote: “I too have been buying organic meat for about 8-12 months (before the recall). It’s expensive, but gives me more peace of mind. I really want to feed my dogs raw, but have been cooking the meat and chicken. I’d like to take the plunge, but I’m nervous.”

I agree with you, I was nervous too. But I took the plunge … watching my pets very closely . . . and finally decided that it was perfect for them. Yes, it takes a lot of close observation to see if they are doing well. Any sign of sickness, I would have rushed them to the Vet. But they did fine.

I was very cautious about handling raw meat . . . you have to read up on it and follow the instructions exactly. I’m glad I did.

I haven’t heard any negative comments about Timberwolf Organics.
    I am pretty much convinced that no matter what I feed my cat I am going to kill her and meanwhile she is bewildered by all the food changes. She hates every wet food I think won’t kill her, but she is eating chicken, tuna, and Sheba cat food very happily. She is SOOOO soft after switching to Innova for dry food. The Sheba is made in Thailand. AUGH! But it has nothing at all except meat, water, tapioca starch and guar gum. The Innova I hope makes up for the lack of nutrition, and the protein is good quality. I can recognize what is in the can as food, cat loves it, and I have personally tasted it. It doesn’t taste bad. Have I lost it? I have NOT been trying to lick my butt, but I have at least gotten to laugh a few times reading here today.

46. susanUnPC says:

Sharon, have you seen Itchmo forum’s section on groups that will help you with veterinary bills?

Also, try calling local privately-run shelters for help. The private shelter near me will give people $100 for emergency treatment. And it sounds to me like you have an emergency.

47. bw says:

Lorie, OH MY LORD!! I have been going out of my way to give my cats only Fancy Feast that is made in processing plant 1160 because that is in Wisconsin and NOT in Thailand. I am panicking now!!!

Could you please tell me if it is flavors that have wheat gluten in them??? I am only buying flavors with NO wheat gluten.

Please, someone answer, I am afraid now to feed them their dinner, well, no come to think of it, they just gobbled down their dinner of FF 1160!!!

48. KimS says:

This is why I’m basing all my pet food buys by ingredients and not by what the companies say. Too bad they don’t just admit they were scared to admit it right away. But maybe the head of Drs. Fosters & Smith was on a meditation retreat with a vow of silence until today-That would explain everything!

49. bw says:

Garyn,
    Could you PLEASE give me more info on the 1160 Fancy Feast!!! I have 20 cats I just fed this 1160 FF to and I am beside myself. I thought nothing bad had been reported about this food, and have been depending on it.

Which flavors have been reported, do you know?? It is too late to call that lady Lorie mentioned, Ms. Machon.
    My only hope is that it was Fancy Feast WITH wheat gluten and I have been feeding them flavors WITHOUT wheat gluten.
    If someone knows tonight, could you please reply. I am really panicking now.

50. Kiki says:

Thanks Jules: What is the difference between feeding the dogs raw organic meat versus cooked organic meat? In other words, why raw versus cooked? Also, how long is the food allowed to sit out. My dogs have a tendency to eat portions of food over a longer period of time - running back and nibbling on a piece of meat here and there.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All