The FDA press conference yielded new information. Here are the highlights:
- Of 17,000 calls up to 50% claimed their pets died.
- Pet food from 2006 tested positive for melamine. No samples available prior to that date.
- 2.7 million chickens ate tainted food. In addition, tainted pet food consumed by chickens in hundreds of farms.
- Will not give clear answer to whether people ate those chickens.
- No details given on investigation in China. Not even the number of investigators.
- Can’t rule out contamination in other vegetable protein.
- All tainted ingredients went to pet food companies.
For the liveblog results, go here.
P.S. Want to know what melamine looks like in wheat gluten? See after the jump.
From University of Guelph.
(Thanks to reader tips)