FDA: Pet Food is Safe, Just Days After More Recalls

FDA’s newly appointed “food safety czar” says that our imported food supply is safe, just days after the latest round of recall expansions. This is the third time the FDA has announced that the pet food supply is safe to eat.

Acheson said the search for the pet food contaminant is “virtually closed” and investigators have a “very good handle” on its distribution. Government officials say the threat to humans is extremely low.

The last 2 times the FDA called the pet food supply safe to eat, they were followed by more recalls. Currently, 20 million chickens that have eaten tainted pet food are under quarantine by the USDA.

Also, it is unlikely that a CDC-like system for collecting pet illnesses or deaths will be run by the FDA.

Acheson said the FDA wasn’t planning to establish a database for collecting reports of injuries to pets, a demand of pet owners that Acheson said veterinarians are considering.

P.S. Overnight, Iams has also removed recall information from their US homepage.

(Thanks Pet Connection)

69 Responses to “FDA: Pet Food is Safe, Just Days After More Recalls”

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

1. ~Martha~ says:

Virtually closed???! Huh???

2. pat says:

Well, I guess that Baltimore Sun article pretty much says it all. If anybody thought for a nanosecond that the “food czar” would be a positive step in addressing the appalling lack of food safety in this country, this interview should clear up that notion.

So everybody get back to consuming and making the corporate shareholders rich. That’s what you’re here for, so just bury your pets and get on with it. And please buy more health insurance so you can pay for the diseases you contract from exposure to all this “safe” foodstuff. We need to make insurance companies rich too!

3. Debbie4747 says:

Well, as I said somewhere before, FDA must stand for “F*** Da Animals”. You have got to be kidding with this article. Closed? Didn’t we already establish that some of the pet food is coming up contaminated without having the usual suspect ingredients? Isn’t this why Russia had a revolution and turned communist because their last czar did so little for the people? Funny how they named him a czar. Just another self serving autocrat. Another paycheck with little to show for it.
    FDA said there were 3 million chickens tainted; USDA says more lie 20 million.
    This is the third time FDA says pet food is good. Right. 3 strikes and you’re out. FDA should be recalled, especially this new whack-job czar.
    And just think, he’s saying this on the onset of National Pet Week. I’m sure he’s off patting his boys on the back again for yet another job well done.

4. Cynthia says:

Are they NUTS! NO WAY am I going to believe this!

5. Mandy says:

Pet food is safe. Riiiiiiiight. Then why am I now trying to boycott it all? Which isn’t easy with a set income. But I’ll do my best. Lies, all lies.

6. Zoe says:

They aren’t nuts. They are liars protecting big business and big money.

7. pat says:

Cynthia, He’s not suggesting that you believe it. He’s simply saying what he intends to do. And that something is nothing.

8. YaYa says:

Mr. Acheson forgot to mention that he Lives on MARS too. It might be Safe There, but!

He says Import foods are safe. Nothing mentioned about all of the Distrubution centers and plants and Storage plant facilities around the country, with Racks of food to the ceilings, waiting to be shipped out to ‘grocery’ stores.

Why the heck do you think they have such LONG- Best Sell by Date or Freshness dating, on packages and cans and jars etc.?!

They want to makes Months and months worth in advance.

So hey, the Imports might be “ok” {wink wink}, but Nothing about what is Here and NOW!

They don’t want a panic or shortages or big corporationshaving the headaches of dealing with a dis-trusting Public on their hands.

ANI has capped it’s individual liabilties, but even so I think it will be HUGE.

What do you think let’s say Heinz or Nestle {only used for examples sake as they Might use ‘thickeners’ or proteins {wink wink}}; if they wee to get socked with, if WE stay On TOPIC?!

And hey, ‘they’ were ONLY Pets right?

You All Forget the Hogs and Chickens and the missing Recalled foods. “We” Will.

Yeah, life on Mars is V-E-R-Y Different than HERE!

9. ThreeBadKitties says:

Ooh! Goodie! It’s all over! I feel soooo safe now feeding my cats now! (rolls eyes)

10. Cynthia says:

pat
    Your right. They don’t care if we believe it or not. The government protecting big corporations. They have only their interests at heart, not ours. This whole thing is making me so angry. If they think. for one minute. that we are going to forget this, they are in for a big surprise.

11. Rhonda says:

I just emailed this comment to the FDA:

Are you serious? The food supply is safe? NOT UNTIL WE BAN ALL FOOD/MEDICINE/ANYTHING WE EAT FROM ENTERING OUR COUNTRY IF IT ORGINATED IN CHINA!!!!

Here’s why:

If they are killing their own people what makes you think they care about Americans? I am beyond angry! I will not knowingly buy anything from China ever again. I expect the FDA to enact some type of “Country of Origin” labeling law so that we Americans can decide for ourselves what we want to eat and from where.

It’s bad enough that we trade with a country that treats animals so inhumanely, but they make fake baby formula and plastic bibs with lead. They have NO MORALS!

The renowned news commentator, Mr. Chen Pokong, pointed out the nature of the trend of counterfeiting and illegal production in China, “It is the vicious hearts, more than the poisonous products, that hurt most. The low morality level in China is an inevitable product of China’s political system. After fifty years of systematic and calculated devastation, the Chinese Communist Party has completely ruined the idea of morality. Chinese political system is a system that refuses transparency and supervision, protects illegal merchandises, and spawns corruption. China now is a heaven for corruption and poisonous products. It is doubtless that things will be only worse if China’s political system remains the same.”

Do not sugar coat this. I’m tired of the cover-ups and lack of media coverage. This is HUGE! It explains a lot as far as why cancer is on the rise globally. DO SOMETHING! OR DO YOU LACK MORALS AS WELL?

Sincerely,

Rhonda K. Allen
    Endangered American & Republican

12. Debbie4747 says:

Oh yeah, and another thing:

“Acheson also believes increasing inspections will not solve the problem due to the vast amounts of imported foods and the manpower required to inspect all of them.”

If they’re not going to i
    “inspect” (*snort*), then how do they determine the imports are safe? and “will not solve the *problem*”….aren’t they then admitting there is a “problem”?????? AND if there is a “problem” shouldn’t they do something about it. Sounds to me like they’re saying it’s too much for them to deal with so screw it!

Remember that Goldie Hawn movie Protocol? At the end, after she realizes the freak show in Washington is corrupt she went public with what she knows? And her ending speech was that the government works for “the people” and that as one of the people she was going to keep her eye on them? More or less that’s what we’re doing but if the FDA can just close this, how are they serving us…the peope…ya know …OUR tax dollars hard at work for us????

They can live with the threat to humans as being very low? Not to mention what it’s been doing to our pets?

13. susanUnPC says:

He’s simply doing George Bush’s bidding to undo federal regulatory agencies and allow big business free rein.

Son-of-a-b—-.

And Iams. Well, if anyone still buys Iams, which is made by Procter & Gamble and loaded with low-grade protein from cheap grains, I pity their pets.

14. pat says:

really, if they aren’t going to even attempt to protect us, why should we support the idea of giving them more money? why don’t we suggest to our representatives that they give fda a budget of zero? let the budget reflect the merit of the agency being budgeted.

15. ally says:

Hrmmm………gee, how coincidental the FDA announces the investigation is virtually closed right as pet food companies are asking folks to sign agreements never to sue after they receive their paltry sums of recompense?

I’ll bet these idjits are bed hopping so much even they can’t keep track.

16. Lynn says:

Where’s Congresswoman DeLauro? She said she would axe the salaries of FDA officials if they didn’t ……

Better get ready, Congresswoman, because the whole FDA needs whacking.

17. CF says:

I am on my way to buy some Ol’Roy…..its SAFE !!!, my as well feed it because its cheaper than the Nutro canned at the same place….remember the old Nutro commercials which showed the eyes, and feet and said “Our Food does not contain by products, only chicken you would want to eat” yet its canned at the same place….makes me feel safe, that is why I started cooking again for my guys ( well raw and cooked) , I had become lazy …not any more…they eat better than I do

18. Lynn says:

Here is what I want. Real simple:

1. FDA obsoleted immediately and new org created with mission and sole objective to represent the consumers.

2. All Chinese imports halted and sent back.

Tell me what part of that is not understood.

19. JanC says:

I am as angry as all of you & then some. I sent off an email to Acheson with a copy to VonEschenbach. Won’t do much good but I feel better that I had my say. Maybe a few more ought to send off an email.

**************************************

I am a pet owner & an angry one at that. How can you possibly claim that human food or pet food is safe? You know as well as I do that that’s just not so. Are we expected to believe you just because you are the FDA Food Safety Czar? Please, give me a break.

Who are the two pet food companies that received the first shipment of tainted rice protein concentrate & have yet to go public? We need to know who they are. And who received the second shipment of tainted RPC? Are we to assume that the FDA, in its infinite wisdom, tracked it all down & burned it? Come on, cut the public some slack. We are not idiots & we certainly have learned not to trust the word of any politician, especially those in the business of protecting large corporations. There are thousands of sick & dead animals because of your inaction & there is food still on the shelves sickening our fur kids. What are you doing about that? Protecting the company because they are huge & contribute lots of money to politicians in this administration?

I have a wonderful idea…..let’s stop all imports from China NOW. They have shown us they don’t care what kind of contaminated crap they send us or who dies as a result of ingesting it. Who is in bed with China that this is allowed to continue?

How about no longer paying farmers in this wonderful country of ours to NOT farm & pay them TO farm. Nothing like products of the good old USA, products that we know are not poisoning us or our fur kids.

Where is government that’s supposed to be FOR the people? Somehow, you’ve gotten away from that.

Please help us so that we can feel secure about the food we eat & that which is fed to our fur kids. Do you have children? Do you have pets? How do you feel about feeding them this crap from China?

********************************

I posted this over at Pet Connection also…..I know I sound like a lunatic but I’m angry & I’m not going to take it anymore!

20. Rollo says:

Mission Accomplished!

21. mal says:

WHO DOES THE FDA REALLY WORK FOR:

Transparency is the key to the science kingdom
    News Archives

06/11/2006 - In the food and nutrition world, science is king. So when journals do not force scientists to fully disclose financial support and potential conflicts of interest, they are not helping anyone.

*******A survey released in July by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), which found that one in six of the nearly 1,000 FDA scientists who responded said they had their work manipulated or suppressed in favour of industry.********

22. Lynn says:

I’m a little lost here. I understand that David Acheson is reporting to Dr. Murray Lumpkin, Deputy Commissioner for International and Special Programs.

What does the OIP do? http://www.apsnet.org/members/oip/top.asp

So tell me, how is it that the contaminated pet food is now answering to the OIP?

23. Marcia says:

CLOSED????????? Is this some kind of joke????? EVERYONE needs to write their own and every other senator, congressman, the FDA, USDA and that stupid joke of a czar-person Mr. A*****. We must NOT let this be swept under the rug and go away like the powers that be are hoping. One of the few things we can ALL do is write and email until they are forced to listen to us and realize we are NOT GOING AWAY!!

Acheson, David, Ph.D. Chief Medical Officer, DHSS/FDA/CFSAN
    5100 Paint Branch Parkeay, Mail Code HFS6, Rm 2B-3, College Park, MD 20740-3835
    david.acheson@cfsan.fda.gov

Colin Peterson (House Ag Committee)
    You can contact Chairman Collin Peterson and Ranking Minority Member Bob Goodlatte at the House Committee on Agriculture Phone 202-225-2171 Fax:202-225-8510

Marcia K. Larkins, D.V.M
    FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine
    Ombudsman
    7519 Standish Place HFV-7
    Rockville, MD 20855

Senator Richard Durbin
    309 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Anderson Cooper
    c/o CNN
    One CNN Center
    Atlanta, Georgia 30303-2762

Consumer Affairs

24. Patricia says:

Iams still has the recall information on their page. When you get to the main page, click on the box that says “Visit IamsPromise.com. You can feed Iams with confidence. It’s our promise to you.” All the recall info is there.

By the way … THANK YOU for keeping us informed! :-)

25. Marcia says:

CLOSED???? Is this some kind of joke??? Everyone needs to write and/or email their congressmen, senators, the FDA, USDA, news media, Mr. Atcheson, and anyone else and let them know we are not going away! This situation is untenable. They are trying to sweep this under the rug and make it go away. We cannot let them. Our pets must not have died in vain. Here are a few addresses and emails. Please, everyone, be heard. Be a voice for our little ones who can’t speak for themselves.

Acheson, David, Ph.D. Chief Medical Officer, DHSS/FDA/CFSAN
    5100 Paint Branch Parkeay, Mail Code HFS6, Rm 2B-3, College Park, MD 20740-3835
    david.acheson@cfsan.fda.gov

Senator Richard Durbin
    309 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Anderson Cooper
    c/o CNN
    One CNN Center
    Atlanta, Georgia 30303-2762

26. TC says:

***Acheson also believes increasing inspections will not solve the problem due to the vast amounts of imported foods and the manpower required to inspect all of them.***

Isn’t that just a priceless quote? So in a nutshell, we are right back where we began. In other words, our government, the FDA in this instance, was only inspecting 1% of ALL imports. And even with this verifiable threat to our food supplies, both pet and human, STILL intends to do the same. Because it isn’t any more pratical for them to “squander” their poor limited resources on such a VAST amount of imports.

I got a clue for you Acheson - we can solve your problem of no manpower by stopping Chinese imports until they get their act together, and prove somewhat worthy of our dollars. You know, like the Japanese did with beef imports/mad cow USA worries? And btw, why can’t we trade more with them instead of counterfeiters like the Chinese?

And to think the USDA is chirping on about how cool a National Animal ID system will be. They can’t even get a handle on safe meat today - case in point - 3 million chicken fed to US as guinea pigs to see if they are tainted. 20 mill more on hold. I read a lot about this, and frankly, it nothing that is achievable. That is what I thought before this fiasco, when I learned that neither the USDA nor the FDA is even remotely doing anything good for our food supply.

With the exemptions for big agri-biz, and the apparent inability and refusal of both the FDA and USDA to check imports, all the NAIS would do is create a situation where the smaller operators (you know, the local guys we want to start using because the imports are scaring the snot out of us) are paperworked & fined to death for something that is merely feel good; big agri biz has enough exemptions so as to make the “safety” aspect an illusion, and imports from people who really need to have some damn checks and balances going on? Well, those imports can arrive on my grocery shelf unchecked, uninspected, unsafe.

I get it all now. These people are more worried about how to create their own job security for decades to come, rather than protect my food. I don’t have a solution. Other than planting my own produce, doing local where I know the person I am buying from is not a schmuck, and butchering some of my own cows here. Until I hear about something workable from those who wish to claim that they are in charge and “on top” of this situation. Sorry for the rant in advance. I just sometimes can’t believe what I am reading.

27. TC says:

P.S. I have a workable solution, but the vast majority of people can’t butcher their own cow or plant the garden, and will have a hellish time trying to manage the risk out there. That is what the govt. should strive to assist us with - instead of just trying to increase their budget so that they will continue their existence.

28. JollyCat says:

WHERE ARE THE OTHER TWO SHIPMENTS OF WHEAT GLUTEN????

WHO GOT THEM??????

I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Until they disclose that it ain’t over at all!!!!!!

“Isn’t that just a priceless quote?”

it’s right up there with Dr Sundloff not being able to make a nutritious meal for his pets . . . .

“The veterinary community in general is opposed to homemade diets unless you really know what you’re doing, and most people, myself included would not be able to do that.”

30. TC says:

straybaby - yes, that Sundlof quote was absurd. I wonder if he has ever cooked a meal in his life for himself or his family?

He needs to go away and find a new job. Preferably one where he is NOT responsible for anything dealing with food safety. Where does the government manage to find all of these unqualified people???

31. pat says:

Rollo, you’re one of the few people involved in this who’s been able to make me smile. thank you.

“Where does the government manage to find all of these unqualified people???’”

haven’t a clue! it’s mind-boggling!!

33. ally says:

TC - please rant anytime!
    your above was most excellent!

34. pat says:

they are perfectly qualified to do the job for which they were hired. that job is pandering to corporate interests, which they see as interchangeable with U.S. interests.

check this out. how much do you want to bet that after these meetings melamine will become an allowable substance? I’ll give you odds:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is announcing the following
    public meeting: “Meeting to Present Work-in-Progress on a Method for
    Ranking Feed Contaminants According to the Relative Risks They Pose to
    Animal and Public Health; Part 2: Exposure Scoring for Feed
    Contaminants.” The topic to be discussed will present work-in-progress
    on a method for ranking animal feed contaminants by their relative
    risks to animal and human health. The relative risk posed by feed
    contaminants to animal and human health consists of two components,
    namely, health consequence scoring and exposure scoring. At a meeting
    held in September 2006, the agency presented its current thinking on
    health consequence scoring. At this public meeting, the agency will
    describe the methods it plans to use to develop animal and human
    exposure scoring for chemical, physical, and microbiological feed
    contaminants. At a subsequent public meeting, FDA will present
    information on its relative risk-ranking model and how the health
    consequence scoring and exposure scoring will be combined to determine
    the relative risks of contaminants in feed.
    Date and Time: The public meeting will be held on May 22, 2007,
    from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    Location: The public meeting will be held at the Holiday Inn, 2
    Mongomery Village Ave., Gaithersburg, MD 20879.
    Contact: For general information: Zoe Gill, Center for Veterinary
    Medicine (HFV-226), Food and Drug Administration, 7519 Standish Pl.,
    Rockville, MD 20855, 240-453-6867, FAX: 240-453-6882, or e-mail:
    zoe.gill@fda.hhs.gov.

35. JanC says:

Where does the gov’t manage to find all of these unqualified people?

GW’s cronies, that’s where.

36. Deb says:

TC…..couldn’t agree more…..he needs a new a job far away from food. I think anything dealing withs nukes would be a real bad move for Dr Sundloff ……as well as the general public. I did hear the Postal Service is hiring!

So we are suppose to fall for everything is just ducky, the world is a wonderful place and the food is safe???? Seems to me the Feds maybe up to those old LSD experiments again…..sounds like they are tripping to me!

37. Cheryl says:

It’s time to go back to the old ways. We DO have the power of our pocketbooks! Don’t buy imported goods. Learn to live with what is grown locally. It may cost more and darn’! you may have to stay away from those winter fruits because they come from somewhere else - but hey - our ancestors survived perfectly well this way. It not only is safer for us, it is better for our local economy and it will help fight global warming too. Win win situation all the way around.

Well surprise Nestle-Purina got a way with murder……………………just like OJ

39. Jacqueline Marcia Anderson says:

Dear Marcia,

As you suggest, we pet parents must stick together to solve this “murder mystery” of our fur babies being subjectedt to CRUEL big business practices of tampering with their basic need: healthy nutrition!!!

Count Me In for the LONG FIGHT!!! God Bless You and Yours!!!

40. Sylvia says:

JanC ,
    You, nor anyone else here sounds “crazy”.
    New Food Czar = Free-for-all Trading Spinmeister

41. Ann H says:

Right now the tool more powerful than anything is our voices.

Contact your senators, congresspersons, Senator Durbin, Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, Congressman Collin Peterson, LouDobbs@cnn.com, anderson cooper, anybody who gets air time.

Collin Peterson has a hearing next week. He wants the USDA to have inspections not the FDA, and is investigating the contamination.

Fax, write, email.

and, let them know to not let those melamine chickens get recycled back into our pet foods!!!

JanC: You most certainly do NOT sound like a lunatic! You would have to be a lunatic NOT to be so angry!!!

TC: Remember, these are the same people who told us that “because we do not know how melamine affects humans, it is safe for humans to eat” I want them to eat some still not recalled dry Nutro pet food to test that theory out.

Senator Durbin could not have made this any easier. Change the message provided at this link, and tell the FDA the job is NOT done. If you write your own message and change the subject line, your message will count. Mass emails exactly alike are always ignored.

45. bw says:

I thought this could not become more absurd and horrifying that it already is, but IT IS! “”Acheson also believes increasing inspections will not solve the problem due to the vast amounts of imported foods and the manpower required to inspect all of them.”"

He is contradicting himself! First thd FDA pats themselves on the back because they now have the situation under control and the public need not worry, and then he says in effect that it is impossible to solve the problem because of the vastness of it, and the limited manpower!

There must be some way to prevent them from just giving up and forgetting about it. I have no words to describe this man, well I do, but I can’t use them.

46. Deb says:

The Feds are just sweeping this under the carpet…..shut it up….put an end to it…..it a couple of weeks it will be forgotten. There is a reason why there was limited media coverage on this. Remember not that long ago, the media coverage on the war was censored/limited. National Security was the claim (maybe that wasn’t a bad thing). I think at this point, it’s pretty safe to say…..China produces questionable products…..we import food products from China…..our food supply may be questionable at this time??? The Feds probably don’t know how to address this or what to do about it. The best thing to do is make it go away. We all know it just maybe far worse then what we (only think) we know. It’s a big cover up.

What really bothers me about this……the FED’s spend a lot time inspecting for counterfeit fashion goods from China. The American consumer is being ripped off……HELLO a counterfeit Dior/Armani/Fendi etc…..has yet to kill anything!!!! Maybe that dept needs a reorg into the food inspection business!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed the amount of mutations in animal births lately? MSN has a 6 legged calf posted today. Is this due to better reporting?? Or could it also be due to really icky stuff in the feed….which maybe causing mutations???? I remember mutations being chatted about in the pesticide era.

These ‘people’ make me sick. We can’t just forget, unless of course they put something in the water supply to make us forget. I don’t those of us that are upset about this are the crazy ones…..I think the people who are not interested in this are crazy not to be! Pet food is not all that far removed from human food.

47. T. Eric says:

If it’s so safe the FDA needs to eat it before making such a statement. The FDA is FOC.

I found this info on Merrick / Go Natural in case anyone is interested on a recall they had not long ago.

48. Dee says:

While I’m all for bombarding the bast#$@rds in government with emails and letters, I do think there is only one solution (as others have noted): STOP BUYING THEIR CRAP! STOP BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA. Hound all companies you buy ANY food from and insist that they tell you whether any of it comes from China, directly or indirectly. If it does, let them know you won’t be buying it anymore. If they don’t know where their ingredients come from — or won’t own up — let them know you won’t be buying their products anymore. Clearly, the FDA is, as many of you’ve noted, not being run to protect the taxpayers. The only way to get responsible business practices is to stop paying the bill for imported crap — and let them know that you’ve stopped. Then let your wallet do the talking.

49. colin says:

food safety should be made a huge topic for the next elections. is it nuts for us here to come up with a bunch of questions to ask these presidential hopefuls? we could start by writing to them and see what we get for a reply. anyone with me on this?

50. colin says:

BTW i made the choice to homecook. the change in my two dogs is absolutely amazing. i urge everyone to try it. it is easy, healthy, i am worry free FINALLY and it is not expensive.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All