Mandy Parker dropped off her dog at Park Cities Obedience School and Dog Daycare in Dallas, Texas before she went on vacation. When she came to pick her dog Sutton, she was completely floored at what had happened during her boarding time.
The first thing Parker noticed was that her dog had puncture wounds on her neck. She had three open wounds and her neck was burned from ear to ear.
At first, she thought that her dog had gotten attacked by another dog. But she then found out that the wounds were from an anti-bark collar that the kennel used on Sutton.
Parker said that she has never used a shock collar on her dog and would never allow anyone else to use one on Sutton.
Phillip Marr, the owner of the boarding facility, said that Sutton was a rambunctious dog and that she barked constantly. He did admit that the collar probably was on for too long. Marr also stated that bark collars are accepted in dog training, and that almost everyone uses them for excessive barkers.
Marr called Sutton’s injuries a horrible accident. He said that when Sutton was rolling around, there was too much pressure on the side of her neck, so the bark collar put marks on the side of her neck.
A veterinarian inspected Sutton’s injuries and said that the collar was probably on the dog for more than a day. She said that anti-bark collars should not be used and are inhumane.
Another veterinarian said that if the facility did not specifically state in their boarding release that they use anti-bark collars, then it is an inappropriate act.