Houston Chronicle Criticizes FDA For Tacit Approval Of Toxic Foods

This editorial takes the FDA to task for releasing tainted food into the food supply and raises the alarm on milk protein concentrate. We’ll let the Houston Chronicle speak for themselves:

Unfortunately, some livestock could not be recalled since they were already on their way to your plate.

The Food and Drug Administration’s response? Not to worry, there is no scientific evidence that eating melamine is bad for humans, so no grocery recall is necessary.

Consumers have now unwittingly joined their pets as subjects in a massive food safety experiment.

This is hardly the first case of an illegal byproduct getting dumped into the U.S. food system with the tacit approval of the FDA.

Milk protein concentrate, which enters the United States as an industrial-grade ingredient to make adhesives and which has never been subject to consumer-safety testing or given Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) status by the FDA, is now found in hundreds of adulterated cheese products, candies, chips, nutritional drinks and other processed junk foods.

For powerful corporations like Kraft, it is much more lucrative to import milk protein concentrate to make Velveeta, Mac n’ Cheese or Kraft Singles and hope pliant FDA officials turn a blind eye than to pay U.S. family dairy farmers a fair price for real domestic milk.

162 Responses to “Houston Chronicle Criticizes FDA For Tacit Approval Of Toxic Foods”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All

1. Mandy says:

Most of the people here are friendly and helpful. I’ve had nice conversations with people, swapped information, and even had some laughs. This is a stressful time for all of us, and we can all use the support.

There are however, a few bad apples who seem to think it’s a good idea to put down others. People have done this to me, and I’ve seen it done to others.

I am seriously getting tired of people insulting each other on these blogs. I have seen name calling, bullying, people ganging up on others, etc. It is childish, cruel, and unnecessary.

Insulting people is NOT going to make them want to listen to you. In fact it usually makes people want to do exactly the opposite of what you say. So lets all be mature adults here all right?

I am putting this message in the latest blog in the hopes that the ITCHMO ADMIN will see it and put a stop to this.

ITCHMO ADMIN please stop allowing this to happen. Please do not allow people to harass others. I have seen some people not want to post any longer because of this, and it is in danger of giving the blogs on itchmo a bad reputation. We are not five year olds fighting on a playground. We should all be able to disagree and still remain civil.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Please let’s agree to disagree and move on. We’d prefer to see more positive comments and encouragements. Rather than fighting. Thank you!

This Explains What Happen To My Daughter A Few Months Back. When She Ate A Grilled Cheese Sandwich Made With Velveeta. I Didnt Read The Ingredients My Mom Always Used Velveeta But The 1st And Only Time I Gave It To My Own Kids My 10yr Old Had A Severe Allergic Reaction. We Couldnt Figure Out To What. Til A Couple Of Days Later It Happen Again Right After She Ate A Small Piece Of Velveeta. She Has Had Allergies But Never To Cheese. She Still Eats Every Other Cheese From The Deli Without A Problem. So Ive Wonderd What Was In Velveeta That Caused The Reaction. Now I Know

3. xyz says:

I’d like to see some of the publications or organizations test a few food and drink products at random to see what they really contain. If wheat flour has been slipping by as food grade wheat gluten and RPC, how about cassava? If memory serves, it’s cheap and potentially toxic.

If all of this hasn’t put companies on notice to step up quality control and testing, something has to.

4. Sandy says:

Well, this is getting to be just too much. Milk protein concentrate now? Seems nothing is safe for us to eat. Luckily I have the means to raise my own chickens and beef. I can rely on neighboring farmers for pork. My hubby fishes and hunts. I can grow and can my own vegetables, make my own bread (although I may have to look into a grain mill for making my own flour), etc.

Many americans don’t have access to these things but I encourage them to not eat processed foods. Search our your farmers markets and local meat lockers. Eat only the fresh fruits and vegetables in season.

Last time I looked it was 2007. Now for our own safety we have to resort to the lifestyle of the 1800’s.

To any food companies who may be lurking….I give up. You “win?” You get to keep all your tainted crap. And I will keep my dollars. I will not buy another item that does not have Country of Origin Labeling. Thanks for playing.

Will our families health insurance cover medical care for short and long term illness, lifelong disease management or death caused by the toxic foods Big Business has been shoving down Americas throats and marketing as healthy and wholesome?

6. Mandy says:

So much for enjoying Kraft Macaroni and Cheese anymore. And just how many kids love eating that and their families not know about this?

7. Cynthia says:

OH MY GOD! I don’t feel like I’m living in America anymore. I feel that we are all being continually raped and used by the government and big corporations. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP!

I truly believe that if the FDA told us everything they know about our food supply, that they would cause WIDE SPREAD PANIC in America.
    For this reason, the FDA will remain vague about the potential danger from eating tainted food.

The FDA’s statements have been nothing but contradictory.  So many lies. So much deception. They will NEVER be straight with us on the facts.

FDA: the “Faith-based Dining Administration”

AND people wonder why they are getting sick. Why there are so many birth defects, cancer, diabetes etc. There are a tremendous amount of products that we use every day that go untested that are now effecting our endocrine system. This is just the beginning.

You must visit the ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP to see what I am talking about.

“…nearly 25,000 personal care products. With no federal law requiring safety testing before selling products.”

Companies want source of additives made in China
    Food manufacturers questioning origin of ingredients
    By DON LEE - Los Angeles Times May 20, 2007

“China exported $2.5 billion of food ingredients to the United States and the rest of the world in 2006, an increase of 150 percent from just two years earlier, according to Chinese industry estimates. It is now the predominant maker of vanilla flavoring, citric acid and varieties of Vitamin B such as thiamine, riboflavin and folic acid — nutrients commonly added to processed flour goods such as Mission tortillas and Tyson breaded chicken.

““It would be somewhat difficult to move away from all the vitamins in China,” said Monte White, president of Research Products Co., a large supplier of nutrients for flour mixes.

““Until now, companies just didn’t care about commodity additives,” said Laszlo Somogyi, an authority on food sciences in Kensington, Calif. “But that might be changing now. This was a warning,” he said, referring to the pet-food debacle.

“Chinese-made ingredients are likely found in every aisle of American supermarkets. Consider that American favorite, the Hostess Twinkie. Of its 39 ingredients, at least a half-dozen — such as Vitamin B compounds, the preservative sorbic acid and red and yellow colorings — are mostly likely made in China, says Steve Ettlinger, author of the book “Twinkie, Deconstructed.”

“But for every additive maker like Ningbo Wanglong, scores of small operations compete in China, offering cut-rate goods in food industry journals, at trade fairs and on the Internet.

“To make many ingredients, people need only basic knowledge of chemistry and simple equipment: a kettle, a scale and a dryer.

“”The problem is that many small companies don’t register their products as food additives, thus avoiding supervision,” said He Jiguo, director of the food nutrition and safety department at China Agricultural University in Beijing. Instead, he said, these companies classify their goods as nonfood items. Many food additives also have industrial applications; citric acid, for example, is used to clean boilers and etch concrete floors.”

Before there were cheap imports, we made most or all of the ingredients for these products in the US. Many companies who used to produce them were driven out by those cheaper imports. It would be much better for both the consumer AND business to find ways to produce them here again. We would be safer as consumers, the trade deficit wouldn’t be the huge problem it is now and there would be more jobs–what’s not to like here, unless one has a hidden agenda?

9. SandyC says:

Several articles about milk protein concentrate can be found on this page if you’re interested:

Let’s just all play nice. Please to don’t be mean to us people. We’re the China experts. Melamine is even used in cakes!

Sorry, people–Anonymous was me–looks like it’s working now.

12. e wem says:

menusux and sandyc, thanks a million for the links. Everyone read and forward

I had noticed the so-called premium brands of ice cream are no longer made from just cream and milk but strange fractions of milk like ‘milkfat’.

Since milkfat is not called ‘butter’ what part of the fat in butter is being added to ice cream?

One famous ice cream bar is devoid of ‘cream’ or ‘milk’

I had stopped buying these products but in my ignorant stupidity, I never thought the ingredients came from China or anywhere overseas. I had stopped buying the impossibly cheap (usually rancid) Danish butter cookies out of suspicion the Danish government was dumping something they wouldn’t sell in their own nation, but those cookies are labeled ‘Denmark’. That is fair.

This is shocking. The globals have cheated and conned us while we slept. We were eating our wonderful American brands while the brands were absorbed or converted into ruthless Globals who are now buying industrial waste product as food ingredients

The famous American brands are not American anymore. The food they sell is not American food

The stores are lying when they say they cannot find sufficient American ingredients to feed us Americans. Look at the link above from Anonymous (sandyc). American dairy farmers are ignored while the American food sellers switch to Chinese fake dairy products

We already know there is no shortage of American gluten makers only they are being ignored while the con men rush to buy Chinese crap

We had wonderful American vitamen makers. We didn’t know they were quietly put out of business by resellers who rushed OUR dollars to China to fraudulently sell us Chinese vitamans under American labels

Now I read above that most vanilla flavoring is from China. Synthetic vanilla is made from wood pulp or cellulose if I remember. Does anyone want to think about the quality of wood pulp that would be used in China to make our vanilla? How about recycled wood?

If it wasn’t for the mass murder of pets we would never have learned what is really killing our own industry. It isn’t competition, it is global fraud

and the missing chemical is?

Acrylamide, Epichlorohydrin, propylene, allyl chloride, triglycidyl isocyanurate, methidathion, thiabendazole, Aminopterin (after all), or N-isopropylammelide?

(or any related compounds)

And maybe even coming from a Novartis gm crop (with AtzA, AtzB, AtzC) that is already in the human food supply?

14. Amy says:

The thing that I keep thinking about is how when I was a kid (I’m 35), I didn’t know any kids with cancer, severe food allergies, or a variety of other illnesses (cancer, autism, ADD?). Today there’s a separate peanut allergy table in most school cafeterias, kids are allergic to everything, have severe asthma, and we’re seeing more and more cases of cancer. My little nephews, age 3 and 6, know a couple of kids who have undergone chemo and radiation, my brother has a friend who lost his young son to cancer. Luckily my sister in law is a serious health-nut, whole foods, organic freak. :) My one nephew surprised family members when he asked for a tofu hotdog! These boys, so far, are happy, healthy, not overweight, intelligent kids; one suffers from hayfever-type allergies but his mom does, too. But so many other kids are not well… and how much of that is the result of the garbage additives to foods these days? It’s frightening.

15. dbg says:

“The Globals can say their hands are clean because the bag was labeled ‘A-OK Very Good’ by someone in China”

Right, they sure are clean. I bet this is the first time this ever happened.

I work at a University and we have purchased optical equipment from China (never will again). Guess what, everything comes in mislabeled. My favorite, lasers are fountain pens. Everyone at the receiving end knows this. Thousands of employees in the US food processing industry know what is going on. Please come forward.

Food safety ‘an issue across Asia’
    Couriermail (AU) May 20, 2007

“Across Asia governments appear to be struggling to control the use of toxic chemicals in manufactured and fresh food, chemicals that experts believe are responsible for deteriorating public health.

“Formaldehyde seems to be one of the most widely found chemicals, used for everything from keeping flies off fresh meat in wet markets to prolonging freshness and enhancing the colour of manufactured foodstuffs.

“Boric and benzoic acid, industrial dyes, fertilisers and pesticides, antibiotics, bad oil and sulphur dioxide are among the substances found in fresh and packaged foodstuffs throughout Asia.

“Experts across the region are beginning to blame a range of illnesses, including rising cancer rates, liver and kidney ailments, stunted mental and physical development in children - and, in extreme cases, death - on adulterated food.

“”We have been eating these foods for decades. I think these foods are the reason why we have increasing numbers of liver and kidney ailments,” said Rokon-ud-Dowla.

“”These manufacturers are killing thousands of people, yet we didn’t notice.”

“The addition of dangerous substances to foods in China is chronic and widespread.

“Chinese chemicals have also made their way into the foodchain in Vietnam where authorities have become so alarmed at the prevalence of adulterated food that Professor Nguyen Ba Duc of the Vietnam Cancer Association has blamed one third of the 150,000 annual cancer cases on tainted food.

“Government health inspectors have found formaldehyde in the national dish, pho noodle soup, borax in traditional cakes, and whitening chemicals in rice noodles.”

Why can’t we institute something like FDA does for drug manufacturers–that before the item or bulk drug can be legally imported, FDA must inspect and approve the plant? Believe this is also the case re: foreign meat imports–that USDA must do this, but that’s how it works for drugs.

The costs of the inspections, etc., are borne by the company who wishes to export the material to the US. This would take all of the Mom & Pop Chemical Factories out of the running, because they wouldn’t be able to afford the inspection costs. It would leave us with large companies exporting, ones who can afford the necessary safety measures and the inspection fees.

17. Phoebe says:

Another fine example of upstanding “family values.” Welcome to the United Corporations of America. There’s an industrial-grade ingredient to make adhesives in Kraft Mac ‘n’ Cheese? Gosh, what will we tell the children? Well, at least we won’t have to explain sex in the White House to them while they’re undergoing dialysis, chemo, or a transplant. Family values at work.

Yes, that’s sarcasm, but not far from the truth. The FDA has been decimated over the past six years, as has FEMA - and we know how well FEMA works now, don’t we? Katrina put that pitiful fact right in the spotlight. Heckuvajob! Why would anyone expect other gov’t. agencies to be any different now? They are headed by incompetent (at best) cronies. Those with experience and/or differing opinions are either fired or run off. They aren’t replaced. This is repeated over and over again until the agency is decimated and completely ineffective.

This isn’t a grotesque attempt at efficiency, either. One of this administration’s strategists, Grover Norquist, said in 2001, “My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years,” he says, “to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.”

Meanwhile, the courts, including the postions of federal prosecutors, are being deliberately chosen to make certain, among other things, that consumers’ lawsuits will come to nothing.

Family values.

18. JJ says:

Amy you should add the chemicals that are in all the vaccinations they state your child needs. Trimerosol (phonetic spelling) is mercury which is used as a preservative so they can keep the vaccine for a long time so it wont go stale-HUH? That is one of the chemical components in the childhood vaccinations they urge parents to get. There are people out there who have never vaccinated their children and they are 100% healthy. Same goes for the vaccinations they give to our pets. Check area on your pet where shot was given if your dog or cat developed cancer in that same area or some other skin ailment. They want people and animals to be sick otherwise how could they practice FRANKEN medicine with a license?

19. Amy says:

Oh, Phoebe, what I wouldn’t give to just be worrying about bj’s in the white house.

20. JJ says:

SandyC posted a great site that explains MPC - Milk Protein Concentrate. That is why Kraft cheese has the words Pasterized Process Cheese Spread on it. That is the words for the MPC that is made in dirty, disgusting places and then added to all kinds of foods that we eat over here. They even want to not have to label it on the ice cream that people buy. Just want to be allowed to call it MILK when it is no such thing anymore. Well the head banging begins early on here - another dangerous component we have to now start looking for in the food. Does this never end? What food is next that has been adulterated in some way, shape or form?

JJ, there is still such a thing as milk. There are still companies that use milk in ice cream, meaning just that. Ben and Jerry’s uses milk and cream from non rBGH cows. Their ice cream and a few others who make organics here in the US from US milk that is really milk are delicious. They are hard to scoop because of the high fat content. Cost of a pint? Well it is and has always been WORTH it. Delicious. Enjoy it while we are still alive to eat ice cream. :)

22. cheetah-dog says:

Wow, this is the best thread yet. I love this place!

I have started reading EVERY label on something I may be interested in buying. If it’s says Made In China I put it back. Even it it means I have to do without the latest cell phone, pet toy or sneaker. When you really start looking for it, it’s astounding how much of this junk-crap is in our market places.

It’s a start. At least I can feel like I am part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

24. purringfur says:

JJ Says:

May 20th, 2007 at 1:23 pm
    ………………

How many of you have emailed Kraft Foods to question them about MPC? I have. According to one of the dairy farmer sites, the FDA sent a warning letter to Kraft to stop using MCP because it is only approved for industrial uses such as glues. And Kraft produces such wholesome family ads with children eating mac ‘n cheese and cheese singles/sandwiches???
    We have to start asking brand name companies exactly WHAT we are eating? Kraft is supposed to be the largest importer of MPC.
    *******************
    Representative Tammy Baldwin:

“Milk Protein Concentrate (MPC) enters our country at a very low tariff rate,” said Rep. Baldwin. “America’s dairy farmers are under extreme pressure from historically low fluid milk prices. Allowing foreign Milk Protein Concentrate to be used in the production of standardized cheese can only worsen the plight of America’s dairy farmer.”

The amount of MPC imported into the United States has risen dramatically – from 805 metric tons in 1990 to 44,878 metric tons in 1999. There is great concern that MPC is ending up in standardized cheese vats illegally. Rep. Baldwin’s letter urges the FDA to allocate sufficient resources to enforce current law to ensure that MPCs are not used in standardized cheeses.”

DOESNT ANYBODY REALIZE CHINA HAS NO REAL RESOURCES. EXCEPT TOXIC WASTE. THEY PICKED THEIR COUNTRY CLEAN AND ARE NOW IMPORTING THEIR WASTE TO US FOR PROFIT SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER HERE. KILLING US OFF JUST MAKES IT EASIER. WE HAVE FERTILE SOIL, FISH IN OUR OCEANS, AND LAND THAT THEY WANT. EVERYONE THINKS WE WILL NOTICE A COUNTRY TRYING TO TAKE OVER BUT THINK BACK HITLER STARTED QUIETLY HOW MANY SMALL COUNTRIES DID HE HAVE BEFORE ANYONE REALIZED WHAT HE WAS DOING.

I read every food label with skepticism now. I changed from one ice cream to another because at least the ingredients sounded like real food but they only disclosed the country of origin of the vanilla and the label read distributed in the US not manufactured in the US. I don’t trust anything anymore and I don’t know what to eat myself. It makes me afraid to feed my cat people food!

The ironic thing is that the Cold War, Korea, and Vietnam were all about stopping the spread of communism and keeping it away from US shores. Memorial Day is a week from tomorrow, where we honor all those who gave their lives to keep us free.

During the Cold War, there were times when we wondered if the meal we were about to eat might be our last because of the inter-country tensions. Now, with the perfusion of non-tested imported food products, we need to wonder this at EVERY meal–if it will be our last. At least during the Cold War, we didn’t need to think about this 3 times a day, each and every day.

Looks like no one had to forcibly come in and take us over–we were stupid enough to welcome them with open arms. If it doesn’t stop, we might just re-name the country the United States of China.

I am really not kidding about the Ben and Jerry’s. Go look at their website. Almost anyone can get Ben and Jerry’s at the local grocery store. If you want to support US milk producers that do not use rBGH and are in fact small family farmers (rapidly going extinct) go buy some. I sound like a commercial now don’t I? :( I do not work for Ben and Jerry’s but I eat their ice cream almost exclusively.

29. Lisa Clay says:

In response to Amy - You are right! I am 44 and when I was a kid, we didn’t ever get sick from eating food. Everyone knew to cook chicken and pork thoroughly, but there was never as much illness as there is today.

Does anyone here remember skinny chickens??? My Mom (who is 68) and another family member (she’s 87) remember chickens being skinny. They were almost the cheapest food you could buy. As a kid, chicken was never a favorite meal, and usually we ate it because there was not enough money to buy meat.

I am another person who can’t eat velveeta. I can’t eat any processed meats or cheeses that have additives. Thanks to the pet food recall, there are a whole lot of other products I no longer eat as well. Plus I now read the labels and research the ingredients.

Last week I even went online to find cheese that did not contain hormones. The more I read, the more shocked I am. I had no idea how much CRAP was being added to our foods. Pets & People!

I’m willing to pay more to buy products made in America by farmers who produce hormone/antibiotic/pesticide free foods. I found a website that lists natural growers by state (I’ll find the link and put it in a future post).

Thanks again to Itchmo!

Lisa Clay: Post it! Post it!!!

31. Cynthia says:

I stopped buying Ben & Jerry’s long ago because of this. You can buy their organic ice cream, where organically raised cows that are allowed to roam on clean, organic pastures. There wouldn’t be such high levels of dioxin

Ben & Jerry’s Dioxin Controversy

“The study shows that the level of dioxin in a sample serving of one variety of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is about 2,200 times greater than the level of dioxin allowed in wastewater discharged into San Francisco Bay from the nearby Tosco oil refinery.”

Ben & Jerry’s “Tasty Toxins”

“According to a study published on Junkscience.com unsafe levels of dioxin were measured in a sample of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Ben & Jerry’s don’t deny the allegations, in fact according to their own promotional literature “Dioxin is known to cause cancer, genetic and reproductive defects and learning disabilities… The only safe level of dioxin exposure is no exposure at all.”

32. Amy says:

Lisa - please share that link! I, like you, would rather pay more to eat higher quality, safer, American grown foods! You’re not getting more for your buck if you’re getting a bigger chicken pumped full of drugs and hormones that will only make you sick in the long run… unless you want more illness for your buck. But fast food restaurants need to be able to sell you an 80 piece nugget meal for $4.99 and the only way they’re able to do that is if we manipulate the chicken (or whatever) and the sick part is we asked for it! Well, maybe not you or me, but society in general. Our kids are ill and overweight, our pets are dying (I personally have one kidney cat due to the recall), it’s heartbreaking but we can’t count on corporate America to fix it for us - we have to start fixing it ourselves. We’ll just be ahead of the curve, I think, because anyone who has tried convincing a friend that the pet food recall is real has likely run into skepticism and dismissal. I’m thinking those folks won’t catch on until they realize that humans are dropping dead from this stuff.

Ben and Jerry’s unfortunately sold to multinational food giant Unilever in 2000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilever
    I understand they do maintain reasonable control despite this behemoth owning them now. Hopefully thats true.

Here’s the kind of people-businesses you want to seek out and support.

Integrity Wins

34. Cynthia says:

Amy

What I’m saying is a lot of boomers who built businesses based on quality won’t be doing anyone any favors by selling out to a big Multi National Corporations. That seems to be the game these days. How much money do you need anyway to be comfortable?

Enough to “drop out” from the game or do you want a legacy thats positive and makes a contribution to the future and won’t doom your own kids to a mess of your own creation?

36. SandyC says:

A couple of weeks ago, when I realized just how dangerous our own food supply has become, I decided to change the way we eat. I decided the way to go was to support my local farmers & ranchers. I want local grown fruits and vegtables and grass-fed meat. After searching a bit, I found 3 websites that were a tremendous help. They will give you a list of producers of natural products in your local area. Thought I’d post them here in case anyone else is making the big change:

www.eatwild.com
    www.eatwellguide.org
    www.localharvest.org

37. Cynthia says:

Ops! Let’s try that again
    Amy,

I have a favorite site where you can get a bunch of great links..
    Local Harvest, Eat Well Guide, The SuperMarket Coop, New Farm Locator, Certified Organic Food Directory, ect, etc.

38. JJ says:

Steve you posted Shattonmilk’s site as a joke - right? Their ingredients are propylene glycol which is ANTI-FREEZE and preservatives like polysorbate 80, etc. Gawd what is that doing in the milk? Can we add that to our car radiators and save on the cost of anti-freeze instead?

39. JJ says:

SandyC posted three wonderful sites that I have bookmarked to go back to for places in my own back yard that produce food the way you would want to eat it. Grass fed beef and chemical free products. Great find SandyC - thank you!

40. Jay says:

Steve Says:

May 20th, 2007 at 1:44 pm

I have been an inveterate reader of labels for several years in trying to avoid “high fructose corn syrup” as it plays heck with a condition I have (Tip: you can eliminate 95% of grocery items on this test alone and how much of that “syrup” is from China, I wonder).

However, the pet food poisoning has made me step up my watch even closer. I have noticed lately a huge number of foods as diverse as pickles & sauces that say, PACKED IN THE USA, and I am now putting those back on the shelf and going on. Who made the pickles and who made the sauce? I just bet they were cheaper in China, but we don’t wish you to know.

If a company does not state explicitly on the label what the complete origin is , I will never that product.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF SUPPORTING MY LOCAL FARMERS. FOR ME THE PROBLEM IS I DONT F@!!@N HAVE ANY TO SUPPORT. I LIVE IN THE HEART OF THE NEW CHINA THATS FORMING IN THE US. ME AND MY HUSBAND TALKED ABOUT MOVING TO ANOTHER STATE BUT @ 52 WITH OVER 10 YEARS IN HIS UNION. WE CANT MOVE UNLESS HE IS GOING TO WORK TIL HE IS 80.

42. LovingMyPets says:

I made some today!!! My husband says that there’s not a brand out there that can top this.

Rocky Road Ice Cream (HOMEMADE!)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups REAL organic milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 cups whipping cream (or half & half)
    1 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
    1 cup miniature marshmallows, halved
    1/2 cup chopped almonds, walnuts OR pecans

In a large saucepan, mix cocoa powder and sugar.
    Gradually stir in milk.
    Stir over low heat until sugar and cocoa dissolve.
    Cool to room temperature.
    Stir in vanilla extract, salt and whipping cream (or half & half), set aside.
    Stir in chopped chocolate and chopped nuts into cocoa mixture.
    Pour into ice cream maker. (I use the Cuisinart) Process 25-30 minutes.
    Stir halved marshmallows evenly through out frozen mixture before serving or putting in the freezer.

43. Amy says:

Thanks for sharing the links! I have some research to do! Luckily it’s almost summertime and the farmers markets are going strong around here so I have good options for buying fresh produce. And I live in the Midwest so hopefully it will be easy to find local grown grass fed beef although I’m more of a chicken person. :) I even did something really simple, you might find it silly considering the gravity of what’s going on, but I stopped buying those so-called ‘baby’ carrots (which are actually big carrots cut down by a machine) because, you know what? They don’t taste very good. Anyone who has ever eaten a carrot, or any other veggie or fruit FRESH from the soil or tree knows what I’m talking about. And a couple months ago I realized the extra bit of time it takes to peel and chop some carrots is worth it just for the better flavor. I already eat little processed food simply because I don’t like the taste and it’s generally entirely too salty for me. It’s amazing the crud we’ll put into our systems in the name of ‘convenience’. Anyway, I’m rambling again but thanks for the links - I will definitely be checking those out and have added them to my favorites. What I wouldn’t give for a backyard and a garden of my own… one of these days I’ll have it!

44. JJ says:

Went back to Sattonmilks web site and found this in the products they sell: Fruit Punch contains glyceryl abiatate, sodium benzoate. Root Beer contains propylene glycol, gum tragacanth. Egg Nog propylene glycol. Orange Creme has sodium benzoate, butylated hydroxyanisole, polysorbate 80. Why would anyone buy plain milk and trust it when these chemicals and preservates are in the other products they sell? For me - NO THANKS. I buy StonyField Farm milk which is organic, free of bovine growth hormone, pesticides, etc. and is so rich you can use it for half and half also.

45. JJ says:

Helen I know their is organic ice cream to enjoy. I currently buy Whole Foods house brand which contains real milk no antiobiotics, wheat, soy, canola oil or any other questionable ingredient. Thanks for thinking of me.

46. momkat says:

Here is a copy of a letter I just emailed to Kraft Foods: Please feel free to use it if you wish…
    To Whom it may concern:
    I’m writing to let you know that based on current information about your use of imported milk protein concentrate…from countries who do not practice sanitary and safety regulations compliant with our US standards….I, and many of my friends are boycotting Kraft products until we can see the country of origin of ALL ingredients listed on ALL packages.
    Please give this some careful consideration. We understand that your CEO will have to sacrifice some of his bonus money, and that your products might go up in cost, but we want the assurance that we are eating ingredients grown in accordance with the safety standards in this country. We want to support the growers in this country!
    THE BOTTOM LINE IS…WE DEMAND SAFE FOOD and ALL of the information about the food’s origins so that we can make educated choices about what we eat and feed out children.

47. SandyC says:

Amy, I haven’t had a garden for years but for some reason this year I did put a small garden in my back yard. Maybe it was my gardening (guardian-i know, i know..bad pun!!) angel whispering in my year this year. I saw my first tiny tomato yesterday! Even on a small patio, you could have a few veggies in pots. There’s tons of info on the net about container gardening.

JJ not in their whole milk they don’t. Apparently the flavored products have some questionable things. Oh, and don’t think Whole Foods is a panacea. They stock as much Chinese crap as anyone. Which brings up the next question.

When is the Natural Foods and Supplements industry come out and admit they’ve been flying with their heads up in the sky?

Anyway, imagine how terrible life would be if America decided to slam the brakes on the rush rush rush buy buy buy consume consume consume like there’s no tomorrow and actually start enjoying life, quality, and things of enduring value.

Wouldn’t be good for the Corporate Global Capitalists thats for sure.

Oh wait, they can move to China. There’s the ticket.

50. LovingMyPets says:

Well Steve, my family has certainly slammed on the brakes since March! We are actually “enjoying life, quality and things of enduring value” since the recalls back in March. (We lost a dog and are recovering with another dog and kitten). We’re doing home cooking and Farmers Market!

Corporate Global Capitalists can suffer (hopefully) from my NON-contributions from now on! I so wish that every American would do the same! That’s the only way we can make them suffer like we have!

It makes me sick to read that people are still wondering what commercial food to feed their pets! What are they thinking?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All