Innova Testing Results Posted By CEO Of Natura In Our Forums

Toxin tests performed on Innova dog food (by an Itchmo member) got more attention today when the CEO of Natura, Peter Atkins, posted their test results. Natura owns the Innova brand.

On Jun 4, 2007, Donna (Itchmo username PFR07PS) received test results on her sample of Innova dog food from ExperTox stating that it tested positive for acetaminophen and cyanuric acid. She was prompted to test for toxins after spotting black and white chunks in the Innova kibble.

Innova Kibble with specksShe paid for two tests. The first, performed on the dog kibble itself, tested negative for toxins. However, the second test, performed on just the black and white specks in the dog food (shown in photo) tested positive for cyanuric acid and acetaminophen.

Natura’s CEO said that the specks in the dog food are vitamin mineral premixes that did not dissolve during the manufacturing process — something Atkins said was “very uncommon”. He also added that the amounts of vitamins found in the kibble should not present any problems for pets.
The results found its way on to the ItchmoForums. Yesterday, the CEO of Natura responded in the thread with their test results — including a test of a similar batch of dog food from ExperTox. The sample of dog food sent in by Donna in May to Natura was not tested.

Atkins said:

He also continued on to apologize to Natura’s customers via the post, however Donna says that she has yet to receive a call from Atkins.

Atkins said although Natura is continuing to use Menu Foods’ South Dakota plant for their wet foods, they are still committed to building or buying their own plant. He added that Natura no longer sources any ingredients from China.

Donna’s full email to us is below:

I have followed the pet food recall very closely, mostly because I want to protect my two dogs as best I can. I thought I was in as safe a position as I could be as we purchased what is commonly referred to as a “super premium” dog food.

On May 3, we purchased two bags of Innova adult dry dog food. We opened the first bag the following week and fed our dogs a couple of meals from that bag. When we prepared their next meal we were surprised to discover some large black and beige unknown objects actually embedded in the kibble. These chunks were very hard and varied in size; some protruded sharply from the kibble. We opened the second bag and found the same. We contacted the company to alert them to what we found and even offered pictures of the foreign objects. The rep told me they did not need to see the pictures, but a few days later told us we could submit a sample for analysis.

We decided to obtain a second analysis from AccuTrace in Arlington, TX. This analysis was done privately at our expense. A few days later the lab called with the results. First, the overall test of the kibble did not detect any of the known toxins (melamine, etc.). However, the analysis of the black and beige objects yielded the detection of acetaminophen and cyanuric acid. I cannot explain how shocked I was to hear the results. The analysis was done with the GC/MS technique.

The black and beige specks are actually embedded into the kibble. There is no possible way someone could insert these objects after the kibble was manufactured and packaged. We do not take acetaminophen nor do we have any in our house. We purchased the bags at the pet store, opened them in our home and we are the only persons who had access to the bags. Therefore, it is our conclusion that the objects were embedded in the kibble during the production process. The lab has also assured us of their confidence in the detection of the contaminants of acetaminophen and cyanuric acid. To date, I have not been advised of the results of the analysis from Natura Pet, makers of Innova.

We do not believe the dogs had enough of this food to make them sick. However, starting in January both dogs were sick over the course of two months. It was sporadic and hard to determine why they continued to have tummy aches, refuse their meals, vomit, appear very lethargic, and the female experienced terrible problems with incontinence. I placed repeated phone calls to the manufacturer to determine if there were formula or supplier changes that might have resulted in a change in the food that might have upset their stomachs. I was repeatedly told, “no changes.” The only common denominator for their illnesses was the dog food. Unfortunately, I have none of that food to test.

I share this information to encourage others to be suspect of any and all pet foods. Do not ignore what your pet is trying to tell you. If they do not want to eat the food, there is a reason. If they show unusual symptoms or behavioral changes, check it out with your vet immediately. You must do your own research and testing to ensure the safety, health and well-being of your pet.

161 Responses to “Innova Testing Results Posted By CEO Of Natura In Our Forums”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All

1. Trudy Jackson says:

So all the Taurine comes from china? I have a cat on 2 pills a day for dialated cardiomiopathy. Very serious. and with this new bottle I just got, i told my husband the cat hasn’t looked good for a couple of weeks.
    Then, of course I just got the black plastic peices in the canned food for my 20 year old cat.
    And funny little peices of white [something] in my dry cat food.
    then, the beneful that almost killed my dog. I still have the Beneful, and whoever said to have it tested, I would if i could afford it. Not all of us can do that.
    and the Damn PFI knows that. They should be putting out the money to have this tested.
    And My best friend just wrote to Me that Her cat is on Evo.
    We are going to have to do something. The letters just aren’t working.

2. Debi says:

Our little pit bull had seizures since she was 6 weeks old. Somewhere I heard that taurine was almost a miracle solution, we started her on around 500 mgs. a day and she hasn’t had a seizure in about 8 months, she is now 3. Do some intense research into taurine and you will see how it not only helps dogs with heart disease, but also can help in seizure dogs.

3. Trudy Jackson says:

Yes, the Taurine has saved his life. But I don’t like getting it from China. What if I get a bad batch? You never know anymore.

4. MaineMom says:

Trudy, will your cat eat minced clams? Per a poster, rinse Snows canned clams and feed for the taurine suplement.

Trudy Jackson says:
    July 24th, 2007 at 9:53 pm

6. Chris says:

I have been using Innova for 5 years without any problemsl. I have 5 dogs and 5 ferrets that eat the Innova cat Evo and regular cat mixed. They are all quite healthy.
    I do trust their product. Maybe I’m being foolish but I’m sticking with them. I know quite a few people that use Innova and everyone’s dogs and ferrets are fine (a local ferret rescue uses the same mix of food).

Trudy Jackson,

The taurine was Nature’s Life, posted by Debi.

I’ll call them tomorrow. Here’s a link:

PS Anyone know how many pounds of clams you have to feed to get 500 mgs of taurine?

use beef or chicken hearts (raw is best, but if you cook, use a low heat) or clams, which pack the most bang in the Taurine area. no need to use China Taurine. Up further in this thread is a mention of an American Taurine, but I would go for the food source Taurine as you get all the trace with it.(Straybaby)

Good point for sure.
    Wild salmon oil(human capsules)is a really beneficial addition to raw and homecooked meals.But lots of people (experienced in home feeding)feel that other than that vitamin and mineral supplements aren’t really necessary.
    Don’t forget that the commercial foods(and I use the term loosely)are processed to death,so synthetic vitamins and minerals need to be added back in.
    If we feed REAL food,either raw or cooked,unless we have special needs pets,the vitamins and minerals are supplied by that REAL food.
    Join a group like K-9Kitchen or K-9Nutrition,or CNRS to feel more comfortable about appropriate diets to follow.
    Just keep asking questions until you work out something that you and your pets like.
    Canned mackerel ,sardines are good additions to raw-fed diets too.

Lorna

9. HomeGrown says:

Taurine Content of Selected Foods

10. John says:

Holy hell.

I flipped out when Nutro was so involved and so dishonest about the Menu scandal. After a lot of reading and a lot of research, I switched my very sensitive-stomach dog to Innova Evo. I really thought I was doing the right thing. After reading all this, I just can’t do it anymore.

I can’t home-cook for my dog - I can’t even home-cook for myself. We travel a lot and are in hotel rooms often. Is there ANY dry kibble that people have confidence in, from a company that is widely considered to be honest, reliable and forthcoming with it’s customers?

Even though I haven’t had any problems myself with Evo, what I see here doesn’t make me feel very good about their products, nor do statements on their website that they do not source any protein supplements from non-US sources - which, of course, makes everything that ISN’T a protein supplement fair game.

11. Maria says:

I don’t have dogs, but I have heard that Timberwolf is good; also the Kumpi product.

12. Ruth says:

Well, now that we know that pet food companies read and post on Itchmo, I have to ask Peter Atkins something. I hope he will read this and answer.

1.Why didn’t your company test the samples that Donna sent to you? Were they thrown out?

2. Were the samples your company tested in the same manner as Donna’s samples?

3. Where are you getting the vitamins that is in your dog food since most of the vitamins are from China?

I would think if you wanted for once and all prove that your product was safe you would have tested the samples Donna sent in.

At this point your PR isn’t getting any points. Pet owners aren’t convinced that the food is any safer. The pet owners who have posted and said the food that they are feeding may just be lucky to have picked up a good bag but what about the next batch they buy at whatever store they shop.

Personally, its become a crap-shoot buying pet food. Will this bag or the next one be the one to make a pet sick or die?

13. HalM says:

After reading more comments from other concerned owners, I called Natura this afternoon. I spoke with Veronica, the service rep at the 800 number. I explained that I had a two and a half year old German Shepard that had been on Innova since she was a puppy, and had just recently (three weeks ago) started acting lethargic, had gastric upset, was refusing her food, and wasn’t acting herself. Within 48 hours of taking her off the Innova product, she was back to normal in all respects. So…

I asked if it was true that Natura was using a vitamin mix manufactured in China. The response was that they are going to START using Chinese ingredients in the future…but haven’t as yet. When I commented that using vitamins, or any ingedient from China was about the stupidest thing imaginable in view of the current tainted products from China, she said that the vitamins would be fine because they would have a certificate that said so! Seems to be more BS to me, since they have already said that they use vitamins from China.

I also asked why the samples sent to them by other customers were not re-tested by the same labs….the response was that it was unnecessary since they tested samples from the same lot. When I commented that it was poor scientific procedure, Veronica said she “wasn’t going to debate the subject” She further stated that if the information I was getting was from the Itchmo site, that I shouldn’t believe what I read. Maybe I shouldn’t believe info on Itchmo…especially if it’s posted by Natura or Atkins!

She asked if I had my dog tested or vet checked. I said no, I didn’t, but that since the dog returned to normal after being taken off the Innova product, it was pretty clear, even from solely empirical data, that the food was the cause. She suggested that the dog had somehow developed a sensitivity to the food and that there was nothing wrong with the food itself. PLEASE! After more than two years, the dog is now food sensitive? And at precisely the same time that other owners are reporting similar problems/symptoms? This woman spouts almost as much BS as Atkins himself!

She eventually became rather rude and asked if there was anything else I wanted to discuss….and then hung up on me in mid-sentence.

Seems to me this company is more suited to the fertilizer business than the pet food business….they certainly know how to shovel the bullshit!

14. jody says:

Has anyone heard anything about Evanger Wet dog food?

15. ferdiemeow says:

o.k. so if anyone wants to know the skinny. evangers is a great food in fact some of it is even koshur. my kitties say meeoww. timberwolf is another great line and should be looked into. natures logic has no synthetic vitamins or minerals. all are derived from natural sources so this one may be of interest as well. natures variety (prarie) may also be right up your alley as this company seems to do everything right as well. i have also had as of yet no complaints on solid gold or wellness (though they use menu foods to can they paid to have the machines washed before canning so they were not part of the cross contamination) wysong may also be a food to try but hard to find.

I obtain most of my info from my customers. I manage a pet store that specializes in holistic nutrition and most of what we carry has not been recalled (so far) I keep in very close contact with my customers and have had no complaints about any of the brands mentioned here. hope this helps.

ferdiemeow,

Thanks for the info. Any idea who manufactures Timberwolf’s food. I went to their website and found this:

“At one time, Diamond Pet Foods manufactured our food; however, we have moved production to another facility owned by another company (we cannot give this information out, as it is proprietary). They specialize in manufacturing specialty formulas of pet foods and meet our high standards for exceptional quality production.”

Would appreciate it if you would talk to your sales rep about this lack of disclosure. Since they contract their manufacturing, I would have lots of questions about how do they ensure the process is in control?

The fact that they won’t even reveal who makes their food does not inspire confidence.

17. Lorna says:

ferdiemeow says:

I manage a pet store that specializes in holistic nutrition and most of what we carry has not been recalled (so far) …..

Thanks for your feedback,ferdiemeow.
    Don’t forget,though,that not having been recalled is not a sign of safe food.

Just ask Don Earl(www.petfoodrecallfacts.com) what killed his beloved Chuckles,for one example.

Lorna

18. Roberto P. says:

Yesterday my wife called Natura to ask about the vitamins. They said they had a certificate of purity from China so they didn’t need to do any testing. I suspect that is true of most companies. Food safety still seems to be just a paper exercise.
    We homecook now and use NOW taurine which used to be from Japan. I wouldn’t order it again because they use Chinese taurine now. We add eggshell and rotate through the oils. That’s pretty much it on the additives.
    We don’t trust commercial pet foods any more. IMHO, natural and holistic are just words. If you think about it, animal digest is all natural, but I don’t want to feed it to my cats.

19. Lesliek says:

Beth-My chi had trouble on a different food. He was very hesitant to jump up onto laps/furniture & walk up steps.Never found out what it was. When I switched his food it went away within 2 days. Doing all homemade now.I don’t know what the problem is with all these different brands;but if its in the vitamins they all add them.

20. Lesliek says:

Stray- I knew about the Castleberry link but they were the only ones made in USA w/o msg.Where did you find the scottish ones ?

Dear Friends,

Natura’s news yesterday was the last straw. Yet another company that just doesn’t get it and is unresponsive.

When I checked out the forums this morning, there was a homecooking/raw subject that had been started for dogs.

I’d be so grateful if someone with experience in cooking for cats would do the same in the cat section of the forums.

We’ve been doing some basic stuff with homecooking and raw, but I’m concerned that without any commercial food, we may not be providing sufficient amounts of taurine and other vitamins and minerals that cats need.

Was up all night looking for hearts and domestic taurine, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

22. Debi says:

The foods that I think are good are Evengers, who also cans brandon farms organic dog foods, for the dry foods I pretty much go with the organics, only because the testing on them seems to be more rigourous than just the basic foods. Also none of them have shown up in any recalls………….yet, they are Newmans, By nature by Blue Seal, and Castor and Pollux with treats being made also by Castor and Pollux also organic.

23. Garyn says:

HalM, it would seem that Veronica is vying for the worst public relations representative award. Let’s see. How can we instill confidence in our company and in the safety of our product.

First, when a concerned customer calls, be as rude as possible and make very sure that you hang up on them while they are still talking. Even though the customer’s pet is acting ill and the customer is clearly afraid that the food may be the culprit, hang up on them anyway.

If they ask a question that you can’t or don’t want to answer just say I will not debate this with you.

Make sure you call all customers who post on ITCHMO liars without pointing to the specific information that you believe is untrue.

Next, exclaim to all pet owners on the internet that you are going to start using ingredients from China, knowing that most pet owners will not purchase a product with ingredients from China and that clearly they do not want Chinese ingredients because … well… Chinese ingredients killed and sickened tens of thousands of pets.

Then make very sure that you contradict information regarding the source of ingredients given by other representatives.

Well done Veronica. You win the worst representative award of the century.

Unbelievable arrogance from these people. It is shameful.

24. Roberto P. says:

5CatMom,
    My wife does the homecooking for our cats. Will ask her to post when she gets back. We get chicken hearts from our grocery store. We’ve gotten to know the manager very well and when the whole organic or free range (no antibiotic or hormones) chickens come in, they cut some of them up. He is giving us the heart/liver/gizzard/neck packs for free because they throw them out. We had gotten Japanese taurine, but will evetually switch over to the organic hearts. As dopey as it sounds, we grow parsley in containers in the house, in case the cats feel a need to chew greens. (They do sometimes.) Anyway, I’ve already gotten too long-winded. Let me talk to my wife.

25. Big Fat Momma Cat says:

Hi 5CatMom.
    Here is a crowd pleaser at my house. They LOVE IT and eat every bit; even (especially) the picky ones.

House Favorite Fish and Clams

1 15 oz can White Fish
    1 6 oz can Tuna Fish
    1 6 oz can Clams
    1 tbsp Bone Meal
    1/4 dash non-salt
    1 tsp Fish Oil

Chop up the Clams as needed. Mix it all up. So Simple! :) (You could feed just the meats without the supliments as an occasional treat if you like)
    If you want, you can add about a tbsp of chopped spinach or green beans for carbs.

Stormy’s Super Senior Supper also uses Clams. You can find it at my site: http://www.homecookingpetfoodr.....upper.aspx

26. purringfur says:

I’m calling for Mr. Atkins of Natura Pet to test the individual black and white specks of material from Donna’s sample at Expertox and to publish a scan of the lab results. Anyone else?

Thanks for the great info everyone.

Homegrown, great link on Taurine last night.

RobertoP, thanks for the tip on the hearts/liver, etc. package. Look forward to hearing from your wife.

I was just over at the forums and JustMe has created a subject for homecooking and raw brands for cats. That’s excellent!

I’m not great in the forums as I seem to get lost, but will do my best. Guess it’s time for 5CatMom to learn some new tricks. LOL.

This link (I hope) will get you to the new cat homecooking/raw subject:

Big Fat Momma Cat,

Thanks. That sounds yummy. I’ll give it a try.

Lesliek says:
    July 25th, 2007 at 9:22 am

EEP! I take that back! mixed up my seafood :) my Sardines are from Scotland and the Clams are wild caught from Thailand. Crown Prince is the brand.

Crown Prince Whole Baby Clams. Packed in water and Citric Acid . They were the *cleanest* ones I could find. I’ve started doing all my searching for foods on line so I can compare labels and search parent companies etc. if there isn’t a fresh option. The sardines don’t contain Citric Acid, just water and are also wild caught. The whole clams need to be chopped, but all the minced and chopped ones i found that were somewhat affordable had other stuff in them like the MSG. They also do Alaskan Salmon that is packed in water. I buy all 3 by the case on sale when I can. Another Brand to look at is Seasons. They have water packed/no salt, but from Morocco. I discovered you have to look at each variety in the brand as it varies by product. Royal PIA trying to keep them all straight! I decided on going outside the US if I could find less additives was OK for me, even though my original goal was to stay US made. If I didn’t have 5 cats, I would consider the day boat ones as they don’t need that much, but with multiple cats, have to consider options :-/

30. E. Hamilton says:

The pet food companies, the PFI and the FDA have been on this site reading EVERY DAY-I do give a teensy bit of credit to the CEO who had the stones to actually post under a true name or affiliation because some of the posters in the early days were PAID to post nice things about certain brands in an attempt by the pet food companies to fool us.

NO pet food company that is a member of the PFI can be trusted.

Get the food tested, tell the truth about how many pets died, PAY THE VET BILLS!!!!, get out of the PFI and then, MAYBE, pet parents will start to trust again. Of course, after all these months of lies and cover up, maybe they won’t.
    I tell people EVERY DAY about the lies and the cover up, I print out the news that the media won’t cover and PEOPLE WANT THE TRUTH, every misstated death toll, minimizing attempt or new ad COSTS THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY A LOT OF CREDIBILITY and they do not have it to lose.

Remember to scream “lying bastids” , or some version thereof, at every TV ad for pet food that you see!
    Make sure all the children or teenagers you know are aware of WHY this is done. They enjoy telling their friends about the lying pet food companies and I heard an astonishing conversation about pet food between two 15 year olds last week and they went to the net to research, and I heard the phrase “so you can’t trust ANY of them, I guess, they all lie!” and then they looked at homecooking info!

31. Big Fat Momma Cat says:

5CatMom, Your Welcome!

Thank you! I added it to the site! Find it here:

32. Roberto P. says:

E. don’t forget the senior citizens. My wife is at the library helping the senior program. The librarian asked her to come in and help them research pet food on the net. IE can be set to large type, and there ya go.

33. Ingrid says:

Here is Natura’s Atkins (Peter Atkins is one of the three founders and owners) reply: I think it is pretty clear. Three different labs - all negative. Does “Donna” work for PETA? :-)

Finally, the test results. Samples of both the retained samples of the actual production run for Donna’s food (the retain sample is a composite of the entire production run and does include a representative sample of Donna’s food, including a sample taken directly in the middle of the two samples that she sent us - i.e. Donna’s samples were stamped 2019 and 2022; our retain is time stamped 2021) and the premix used in that production was sent to two different laboratories for testing. As expected, both tests have come back negative for acetaminophen contamination. Please follow this link for scans of the results including the test for cyanuric acid and melamine:

It is important that I apologize to all of our loyal customers, employees, retailers and, yes, even Donna for not handling this situation better. Until I spoke with Donna on June 13th, Natura did not have knowledge of her Expertox test results. After speaking with her, I directed that the samples that she sent us be tested at another lab for melamine, cyanuric acid and acetaminophen (note the date on the Midwest Laboratories test result link and you can see that immediate action was taken). However, it was more difficult to find laboratories that could test for acetaminophen; and once we settled on the UC Davis and Expertox labs, we learned that they were backed-up and our test requests could take several weeks to complete. During that time I was traveling on business and neglected to make the effort needed to make sure that Donna was kept in the loop and informed of these testing delays.

Natura is, always has been, and will continue to be committed to making the healthiest pet foods in the world. I hope that these independent laboratory analyses will address your concerns and validate that our foods are in no way harmful to your pets.

———
    More likely to be attention seeking behavior. How likely would it be that you would send a dogfood sample to a testing facility that could handle tylenol testing unless you knew what to ask them to test for? Testing for all known toxins is prohibitively expensive. When submitting specimens for testing, you have to tell the testing facility what group of toxins to look for. You can’t say “just test for everything” - that would involve thousands of tests - all expensive. No this specimen had to be submitted for testing for tylenol and possibly a few others. Tylenol would NOT be found in a food processing plant unless added deliberately. It could be found in almost any home and added deliberately. (Very easy to do - just a drop of liquid tylenol on the kibbles.) We see this kind of behavior occasionally in the emergency room, a kind of “Munchausen by proxy”, but in this case of pets.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Ingrid, Donna was NOT the first person who requested acetaminophen testing in pet food. In fact, according to the lab ExperTox 4 other samples have turned up positive for acetaminophen — from different people. I’ve had pet food tested for acetaminophen as well — and I don’t consider myself mentally ill. There are two reasonable possibilities as to why Tylenol is in pet food given these facts: 1) An ingredient in the pet food supply may be tainted in small batches or 2) the lab result is incorrect.

I highly recommend that you do some more research on this topic before posting. And I am pretty sure you owe Donna an apology — as Peter Atkins stated himself.

34. Lorna says:

Lesleik said,”Beth-My chi had trouble on a different food. He was very hesitant to jump up onto laps/furniture & walk up steps.Never found out what it was.”

Leslie,that *can* be a sign of tummy discomfort.The stretch required to jump up and down maybe?
    Often, too, pets with tummy aches will hunch their backs and/or drag their hind legs a bit.
    OF COURSE these symptoms can indicte other things as well but tummy is one.

Lorna

Careful, Ingrid. Calling someone mentally ill in print with no basis, (and as far as I know, no one can diagnose that disorder over the internet) constitues libel. I think the administrator needs to step in here.

Ingrid says:
    July 25th, 2007 at 11:37 am

you may want to check the history of this issue. if i’m not mistaken, she had it tested based on results from other’s having food tested and their findings.

would you like to explain the black substance?

37. Trudy Jackson says:

Hello, thank You all for the info you sent. I’m going over all of it now. I really appreciate this. I do have a multi-multi cat household. But only one cat with dialated cardiomyopothy. thank goodness.

Ingrid,

If you go back through the archives and read the posts from loyal bloggers, you’ll get the spirit of what goes on here, and it’s not what you suggested.

Natura should test the BITS in the samples Donna sent to them and try to confirm (or not) her findings. That seems pretty simple.

Also, it’s not hard to explain how feedstuffs (vitamin premix, or whatever) may have been tainted with acetaminophen. Remember that 600 million bottle recall last year? Wonder where all those pills went?

I called FDA and the company and NO ONE wants to talk.

So I have a theory: The US pet food industry has become a toxic dump for the world’s supply of tainted ingredients.

I need to apply the Scientific Method and test my theory. This requires data. Test data. Lots of test data.

And therein lies the problem. US pet food companies don’t perform adequate testing - they seem to prefer the “garbage in - garbage out” approach; the FDA is useless; and when a food questioned (as Donna has done), the company involved won’t cooperate by taking a logical approach to solving the problem.

Maybe you can help us out.

39. bw says:

OH MY INGRID!! >>We see this kind of behavior occasionally in the emergency room, a kind of “Munchausen by proxy”, but in this case of pets.

Ingrid,

Forgot to add,

When I worked in the manufacturing sector, our products were heavily regulated by either FDA or FAA.

When a customer had an instrument malfunction, the first thing our QA department wanted to do was to get the product in their hands and try to duplicate the mode of failure. If the mode of failure could be analyzed, then an engineering solution could be developed.

We didn’t go and get a brand new box from the stock room, run a few tests and conclude that the customer was a yo-yo.

People’s lives depended on the safety and reliability of our products, so we wanted to understand and to explain what the customer had experienced. If there was a design error, we wanted to correct it.

Running away from a problem only leads to more problems. That’s what the PF companies don’t understand.

41. Roberto P. says:

Straybaby,
    Sounds familiar. My wife used to work for a biomedical firm. They made medical instrumentation. Every time they changed vendors for whatever part in the instruments, they put that vendor through absolute hell to prove it was safe. It took more than just a piece of paper. And when a system was returned, holy God, my wife would work OT for weeks to get to the bottom of the problem. They never ran 2 tests, then said their customers were crazy. I always assumed the food industry was the same. Stupid me.

42. Roberto P. says:

Sorry goofed, meant 5catmom

Roberto P.,

Right you are.

That’s the difference between a regulated industry and one that claims to be.

I’ve learned that whatever so-called regulation exists in the PF industry is a figment of imagination.

44. Judy says:

Ingrid Who do you work for?

I don’t know Donna personally but I don’t believe for a second that she went to all this trouble and expense to make herself look important. Why don’t you check your facts before you start name calling. And check the archives and you might just find this is not the first case of “Tylenol” found by a lab in pet food.

45. Ruth says:

Hmmm……..Ingrid,Veronica………Veronica,Ingrid…….enough said…….

46. thomas says:

I beleive and trust Donna .

47. Ellen says:

Try Evanger’s - it’s supervised and koshered by the Chicago Rabbinical Council–and they absolutely would not use ANYTHING from China. They use 100% whole food and have a very broad variety. You an order online, also.

48. Roberto P. says:

Absolutely, thomas. I laud Donna for her courage. I don’t know how she does it.
    And I guess that I was so naive that I didn’t realize the pet food companies were the garbage disposal for the food and pharma industries. The companies could burn their garbage, but the stockholders like it when they sell it to pet food companies. And pet food companies like that they can pass garbage off as premium. Now they are attacking the customers, because we no longer believe them. That really helps their credibility.
    To quote the Who: “We won’t get fooled again!”

49. purringfur says:

Thank you, Itchmo, for stepping in on Ingrid’s post above concerning Donna. Perhaps Ingrid just joined the blog and didn’t have the background on the acetaminophen issue to know that OTHER PET OWNERS paid to have their food tested, and the samples came back POSITIVE FOR ACETAMINOPHEN. For Ingrid to suggest a diagnosis of Munchauesen via a blog is unfair.

Donna, you’re pursuing this in a highly professional, courageous manner, and you deserve to be commended for your efforts and financial output to get to the truth. I applaud you!

Itchmo: And thanks for providing us with the latest news, this blog and the forums. You’ve saved many, many lives.

Just got off the phone with Troy at Ranch Foods Direct in Colorado.

Ranch Foods has been in business for 6 years and they already offer a few meat items for pet owners.

They are willing to consider creating additional items for pet owners such as 1# packages of mixed meats with some bones and organs all ground up.

Troy asked me to send him an email and let him know what we need.

So maybe this is a start. I’ve bought frozen raw food at the pet food stores and it was gross.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All