Itchmo Reader Reports Acetaminophen In Pet Food

Kitten on Couch

Lab Report via Steve M.UPDATE: Here is the lab report Steve M. sent us.

ORIGINAL POST: As we were breaking news of a Texas lab reporting cyanuric acid in unrecalled food, an Itchmo reader informed us that he had a lab test turn up positive for acetaminophen on May 21. The results came from the same lab as the one cited by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Here’s what Steve M. said in our comment section on May 21 at 11am:

I sent a sample of the Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula food, from the bag my cats had been eating from when they became ill, to Accutrace in Arlington, Texas. For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets. I received a call from the Lab today with the results of their analysis. To my surprise they did not find any of the suspected pet food toxins. But they did find something that is very toxic to cats in the food, Acetaminophen. If you are not familiar, acetaminophen is a pain reliever, marketed under the most common name as Tylenol. A little research will tell you that it doesn’t take much of this stuff to poison a cat.

This is not a case of my cats got into a tylenol capsule that was dropped on the floor or someone came into my house and spiked my open bag of cat food. This is a case of a known toxin to cats coming packaged in a bag of cat food from the store.

Repeat of full post from Steve M. after the jump.

From Steve M.:

The first week of April both of my cats became ill. We had recently opened a new bag of Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, the same brand the cats had been eating for sometime. After a couple days of watching our cats conditions (vomiting, lethargy, apparent weight loss, etc.) worsen we made the trip to the Vet. After observation and blood and urine tests it was determined that both cats were in Acute Renal Failure. My male cat was in such poor condition at that point that the Vet recommended euthanizing him, which we ultimately did. My female cat was fairing a little better even though her diagnosis also found she was anemic as well. We started on a long regimen of IV’s and medications that continue to this day. She has recently shown signs of improvement but it has been costly both in a monetary and emotional sense.

Already being familiar with the pet food recall in the news I asked my Vet to order a Histopathology on my deceased cats internal organs so as to try and determine if he was poisoned. I also immediately contacted the FDA, which after me leaving numerous messages finally contacted me 10 days after my initial call. I also spoke with Hill’s, and to be honest I felt like they were really not very interested in my story. Hill’s ended up sending an application for me to request reimbursement for my Vet bills, even though my cats food was not and still to this day is not on the recall list. My deceased cats histopathology results came back and they did indicate poisoning. There was a crystalline feature in the kidneys that was indicative of this. At this point I contacted the FDA and Hill’s again to report the results. I asked Hill’s if they would like me to send them some of the cat food to test. To my amazement they declined and reitterated that I could ask for reimbursement for my Vet expenses. At this point I decided if I was going to find out what killed my cat I would have to do it myself. This I could not believe, because by this point in time we were about 6 weeks into this pet food crisis. I guess the experts already had everything figured out!

This is my story to date. I just wanted to share with others because I truly believe there is more to this story than is being told. Don’t trust the FDA or the pet food manufacturer’s, they are just looking for a quick and convenient way to put this story to rest IMO. I will post again after more of my personal story unfolds. Best to all!

195 Responses to “Itchmo Reader Reports Acetaminophen In Pet Food”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All

1. Gerry says:

Iam sorry to hear about the lose of your kitty and the illness of the other one. Hope your kitty gets better. What is going on here? There better be an investigation as to where and why acetaminophen is ended up in our pet food!

2. Susan says:

Steve M., I feel so bad for you. I’m guessing that Hills and the FDA are sitting around picking their noses, waiting for someone to hammer them? I hope your survivor is doing better.

What happens to tainted products that are recalled?

Posted: Thursday, 09 November 2006 11:24AM

Contamination Leads to Massive Pain Reliever Recall

WASHINGTON (AP) — A major manufacturer of acetaminophen sold by Wal-Mart, CVS, Safeway and more than 100 other retailers recalled
    11 million bottles of the widely used pain-relieving pills Thursday after discovering some were contaminated with metal fragments.

4. DonnaD says:

what is going on here!? I’m almost afraid to come to this site and see what poison is surfacing now…and I’m even more afraid not to!

In less than a decade, China has captured 90 percent of the U.S. market for vitamin C, driving almost everyone else out of business. Chinese pharmaceutical companies also have taken over much of the world market in the production of antibiotics, analgesics, enzymes and primary amino acids.

According to an industry group, China makes 70 percent of the world’s penicillin, 50 percent of its aspirin and 35 percent of its acetaminophen (often sold under the brand name Tylenol), as well as the bulk of vitamins A, B12, C and E.

6. Susan says:

Steve, From your article it sounds like they compressed the procedure for making Vitamin C. Has anyone tested its quality? Sadly, probably not.

Susan anyones guess. Probably not is correct. See the issue here is growth is completely out of control over there and U.S. Corporations are empowering it.

We’re battling a two headed monster.

8. Susan says:

We need to battle our two headed monster and not each other. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been bashed here. To paraphrase, people have said that since I bought cheap, I (and I guess they mean my pets, too) deserved what I got. I did not buy cheap. This mess went across the board. I know it’s probably easier for some people to blame the victims,rather than face that their pets are at risk, but it could have happened to any of us. I’m sure Dave and Duan-o LOVE it when we fight here.

It’s greed. Overlooking things that matter in the long term big picture to get rich as fast and quickly as possible. I want now and no ones going to get in my way and stop me from doing it.

Thats the attitude. The problem. “Gimme Mine Now Now Now. I could care less about what happens to anyone else.”

Thats the greed mindset.

10. mgm says:

“The contaminants were found in foods that are not among the more than 150 brands recalled since March 16, Coneley said. The highest level of acetaminophen was found in a dog food sample submitted by a manufacturer, she said. Coneley declined to identify the company but said its officials were given the results “well over a month ago.” ”

This is so outrageous that words fail me. “Declined to identify the company?” What the hell right does this Coneley have to withhold vital information from us–note that this contaminant was NOT found in the brands already recalled.

11. Susan says:

I think these companies scare the labs. Iams sure gave Itchmo a hassle for posting the cyanuric acid lab result. Steve is right. These pet food companies run on greed. I think the labs are probably afraid of lawsuits.

12. mgm says:

Called my daughter with this latest. She had just arrived home with a bag of Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food for her cats. Purchased it at Petco which, she said, had a big sign over the shelves reading: Science Diet contains no wheat gluten.”

13. jeff says:

mgm,

I don’t think Coneley is allowed to disclose that information and should not be blamed or faulted. They are only reporting what they find to who sent it in. It should be up to the company to do the right thing. The lab should be applauded not faulted. If it were not for them, none of us would know acetaminophen was in there at all.

14. Gerry says:

It is almost sad but true that now the label saying [contains no wheat gluten] is almost ‘old HAT’ with all the other poisons that have been found in our pets food. This had to be an accident or some crazy animal hater on the lose. I can see no reason to put acetaminophen in food items of any kind!

15. DJackson says:

Hello,
    I am kind a new here but have been on petconnection. Would like to know more about the lab that the food was sent to. My situation is very similar
    as had a cat (Alley) die from I believe the tainted food and one that has now became very picky about what she eats. I believe it was due to either Science diet or Iams (she was on both the last month, long story).
    Could someone tell me the exact address to send it to and if the bags have to be unopened and what the procedure is?

16. Debbie4747 says:

DJackson
    I believe some are using Accutrace

The bags should be unopened so no one can say they’ve been tampered with. I’m so sorry about your loss of Alley and hope you find the results you are looking for.

17. elizabeth says:

DJackson, if the test is for your own piece of mind then opened or unopened is fine to send to the lab. If you wanted a sample that could be possibly used in court then an unopened bag is preferred. Would you mind telling us which Iams and which Science Diet products your ill cat has been consuming? And, best wishes for a full recovery for your kitty.

18. E. Hamilton says:

I am asking every person who reads this to go, today, and tell this story to someone who does not use the internet or have a computer.

Go and tell your older neighbor, people in line at the grocery store, people in the pet food aisle, tell SOMEONE who is just getting sweet soothing lies from the TV what the truth is, and you, in this ONE act, will have done more to make this right than all the pet food companies combined have done in three months.

And then do it again tomorrow.

19. TEALCSMOMMY says:

DJackson, this is the one I’ve seen on Itchmo.

20. Susan says:

DJackson, please get your food tested. If the bag is opened, post the lot number here and we can look for a sealed one for you.

21. martin says:

And they will find it.

22. Garyn says:

Gerry said: I can see no reason to put acetaminophen in food items of any kind!

I was wondering the same thing. The melamine was used to increase protein. What possible use or better yet fraudulent use could acetaminophen have. A cheap substitute for glucosimine? But in a sensitive stomach cat food? Hills are the people who are teaching nutrition to our vets. As if that isn’t scary enough. And they don’t know that this is a highly lethal substance. This is horrible beyond words.

Profits over Pets? If you ask me Hills is to big and has to much Monopoly power.

It’s nothing new they have used questionable things in their stuff. This though is truly obscene.

MGM said: note that this contaminant was NOT found in the brands already recalled.

That’s misleading: It was identified in the unrecalled brands which were sent to be tested. The recalled brands were not re-tested, were they?

Sorry bout the link above.

“Regain the Momentum”

27. 4lgdfriend says:

I’d say it’s definitely Boston Tea Party time - except this crap would poison the water.

But it is time. The 2-headed monster Steve mentioned will understand nothing else.

Hmmmm. Thats interesting. Never mind.

29. Garyn says:

Steve, the page you posted is gone. It says it no longer exists. What was on it?

30. martin says:

Link not working Steve.

Let’s hear Hills lie their way out of this one. Hills dry made where? What else is made there?

This works. “Our Promise”

It’s a great day to be a highly visible media figure proponent of Hills, isnt’ it ;-)

Oh thats right I forgot already. Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc is a subsidiary of Colgate-Palmolive Company

35. Debbie4747 says:

Is this the early warm-up for Recall Friday?

I’m sure the CP-Hills crisis room is busy Debbie. Cooking up their next move.

37. E. Hamilton says:

Hill’s word is worth exactly as much as their actions to get the word out about the symptoms of the poison, what to ask your vet or since that won’t help much how to pay for the cremation to make sure YOUR PETS remains don’t end up in a pet food can.

NOTHING

Hills is POISON
    Hills are LIARS
    Hills KILLS!

38. nancy says:

can someone help: steve m. sent his sample to accutrace; the pitt-tribune interviewed expertox, both in texas. are these the same lab? or do we have 2 separate independent labs reporting acetaminophen in pet food?

i think i’m gonna be sick.

Hills could get their butts sued off over this.

Hope the Veterinarians are paying attention to this.

41. Susan says:

Steve,
    I have decided to forward this info to the state vet board so they can fax it to the individual vets. Otherwise, I’m afraid they won’t pay attention. Mine didn’t; I had to change food and vets.

42. 4lgdfriend says:

Steve said: Hills could get their butts sued off over this.

Right. And my guess why it has taken so long to identify while so much noise was made about melamine.
    This should be very interesting theater indeed…

43. 4lgdfriend says:

I still want to know what happened to the end of business 6/1 deadline set for the FDA to produce complete answers to all question in unredacted form.

Serve ‘em.

44. KatieKat says:

Steve M….I am so sorry about your loss. Thank you for sharing and helping prevent other pets from dying from this food.

Aother banner day for Hills and their schills.

46. Susan says:

4Lgdfriend
    From Itchmo’s post on 5/31: “The letter was sent to the head of Health and Human Service, who oversees the FDA and provides a deadline of June 1 for the answers. If the FDA does not meet that deadline, the committee will “consider other options, including compulsory process.”

How did Michael Leavitt respond, and how long does the Committee plan on considering other options?

47. ann says:

I can’t wait to hear how they’re going to spin acetominiphen in pet food.

48. jood42 says:

I just called Hill’s and they say they don’t know anything about it, and that they’d “definitely pass on my concerns.”

For the sake of all that’s holy.

Fortunately I mistakenly purchased hairball control instead of sensitive stomach last week, but that’s scant comfort, in that both the kitty who eats that and the kitty who needs a prescription diet both use Hill’s foods.

No commitment to update their website more frequently, no commitment on what they’ve tested for. Nothing.

They are either completely callous scum - possible - or incredibly inept at internal communications - more likely. Either possibility doesn’t ensure my cats’ diets are safe.

Thanks for sharing the information.

49. Garyn says:

jood42 Says:

ME: That is just such complete Bulls&%^$.

Jood42 says: “They are either completely callous scum - possible - or incredibly inept at internal communications - more likely.

ME: My vote goes with completely callous scum

The pass on your concerns part is both infuriating and condescending. The stuff was found in the food. It kills animals. “Concerns” doesn’t come close to what we think about what they have done. I am having a head explosion.

OK people–here’s the URL for the Directory there:

hillspet.com - /media/usarg/generalcontent/home/en/

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:21 PM 64335 img_RegainTheMomentum_521×186_en.jpg

Go in on the first link and you will get into the Media Content Directory where the Regain The Momentum image can be found.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All