Itchmo Reader Reports Acetaminophen In Pet Food

Kitten on Couch

Lab Report via Steve M.UPDATE: Here is the lab report Steve M. sent us.

ORIGINAL POST: As we were breaking news of a Texas lab reporting cyanuric acid in unrecalled food, an Itchmo reader informed us that he had a lab test turn up positive for acetaminophen on May 21. The results came from the same lab as the one cited by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Here’s what Steve M. said in our comment section on May 21 at 11am:

I sent a sample of the Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula food, from the bag my cats had been eating from when they became ill, to Accutrace in Arlington, Texas. For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets. I received a call from the Lab today with the results of their analysis. To my surprise they did not find any of the suspected pet food toxins. But they did find something that is very toxic to cats in the food, Acetaminophen. If you are not familiar, acetaminophen is a pain reliever, marketed under the most common name as Tylenol. A little research will tell you that it doesn’t take much of this stuff to poison a cat.

This is not a case of my cats got into a tylenol capsule that was dropped on the floor or someone came into my house and spiked my open bag of cat food. This is a case of a known toxin to cats coming packaged in a bag of cat food from the store.

Repeat of full post from Steve M. after the jump.

From Steve M.:

The first week of April both of my cats became ill. We had recently opened a new bag of Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, the same brand the cats had been eating for sometime. After a couple days of watching our cats conditions (vomiting, lethargy, apparent weight loss, etc.) worsen we made the trip to the Vet. After observation and blood and urine tests it was determined that both cats were in Acute Renal Failure. My male cat was in such poor condition at that point that the Vet recommended euthanizing him, which we ultimately did. My female cat was fairing a little better even though her diagnosis also found she was anemic as well. We started on a long regimen of IV’s and medications that continue to this day. She has recently shown signs of improvement but it has been costly both in a monetary and emotional sense.

Already being familiar with the pet food recall in the news I asked my Vet to order a Histopathology on my deceased cats internal organs so as to try and determine if he was poisoned. I also immediately contacted the FDA, which after me leaving numerous messages finally contacted me 10 days after my initial call. I also spoke with Hill’s, and to be honest I felt like they were really not very interested in my story. Hill’s ended up sending an application for me to request reimbursement for my Vet bills, even though my cats food was not and still to this day is not on the recall list. My deceased cats histopathology results came back and they did indicate poisoning. There was a crystalline feature in the kidneys that was indicative of this. At this point I contacted the FDA and Hill’s again to report the results. I asked Hill’s if they would like me to send them some of the cat food to test. To my amazement they declined and reitterated that I could ask for reimbursement for my Vet expenses. At this point I decided if I was going to find out what killed my cat I would have to do it myself. This I could not believe, because by this point in time we were about 6 weeks into this pet food crisis. I guess the experts already had everything figured out!

This is my story to date. I just wanted to share with others because I truly believe there is more to this story than is being told. Don’t trust the FDA or the pet food manufacturer’s, they are just looking for a quick and convenient way to put this story to rest IMO. I will post again after more of my personal story unfolds. Best to all!

195 Responses to “Itchmo Reader Reports Acetaminophen In Pet Food”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All

1. jood42 says:

If they really have known about this for a month and done nothing, they are either criminally incompetent or corrupt. Or both.

I have absolutely no idea what to feed my cats now.

2. Tammy Zack says:

I use to have three cats, now I am down to two, with one being ill. In January, my 6 year old cat was hospitalized for vomiting. We never did find out why. Although, his labs were normal. Three weeks later, my darling 11 month old kitten,Lucy Lu, developed non-regenerative anemia, pettechiae and ecchyomosis over her entire ventrum. She was bleeding internally. This was all prior to the food recall. I can’t help but wonder if some of the recalled food that I was feeding at the time played a part in all of this. My now 12 year old cat, is ill, although he had been sick two years ago, he came out of remission in March. I just pray it wasn’t the food and all of this could have been prevented. My heart goes out to all who lost a beloved pet due to this tainted food, it should have never happened.

3. Gerry says:

Garyn. Can you use acetaminohpen as a substitute for glucosimine???

4. YaYa says:

IT’S GONE.

Menusux, the new lnk you posted for the “momentum medis jpg” is Gone now: “site does not exist” as of 5:53pm.

They Are Watching and Reading Every Post Here right now folks.

SOB’S!

MAKE IT RIGHT! FESS UP!

5. Steve M. says:

Hello all. I am the poster of the story above. I appreciate all the thoughtful comments. I thought I could also clear up some of the other things being discussed. First Hill’s has been aware of my test results for over two weeks. After they figured out I wasn’t going away quietly they finally did send someone to my house last Thursday to pick up some of the food for testing. So if they are telling you they know nothing about it they are
    lieing.I have email’s as proof.
    Next the question of the lab. I used Accutrace who then apparently contracted out to EXPERTOX. I think others who have food tested may have gone directly to EXPERTOX if that is possible.
    Next don’t assume one variety is safer than another. Another owner whose sample tested positive for acetaminophen reported it as being another type of Hill’s food. You can view her lab results as well as mine and another owners at this link: http://www.petfoodrecallfacts.com/lab.html
    Lastly, I have mentioned to both Hill’s and the FDA that we could be dealing with a criminal matter. Just how does acetaminophen make it into pet food?I hope they come up with something I can believe.

6. T. Eric says:

A little good news to share.

I had my PetTabs & Missing Link tested. All negative. Pups get vitamins tonight!!!

7. Gerry says:

I just called the maker of the natural pet tabs I have been adding to my pugs homemade food. I asked if the inflamaway was made in the U.S. and he said yes. I than asked if there were any ingredients in them from China.. he said well. yes most of the ingredients are from China. If we used U.S. ingredients it would bring the price way up. There you go…Iam going back to using kelp powder. Does anyone out there know where kelp powder is from?

8. Ruth says:

I’d still like to know who is the pet food manufacturer that also tested their product? They have known for a month and still doing nothing.

Guess they hoped no one would be the wiser. And the GREED just continues. No one taking responsibility. Oh…. it forgot they all did their part when Menu Foods did the recall. May this be the 5th ingredient?

Like some one said how are they going to spin their story on finding Acetaminophen in the pet food. Bet the PR firms are working around the clock on riot control pulling an all nighter trying to hide the truth.

9. YaYa says:

AccueTraceTesting IS EXPERTOX. Just so folks know.

One in the same essentially. They are on the Web.

These is also MidWestLab.com, or it’s MidWestLabs.com?, doing *Independent* testing. {I can’t remember if there is an “s” in the title or not.

WHOM Ever you use for Testing, make Sure they are an *Independent* Lab. {and are aware of the pet food poisoning situation}

YaYa Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 6:56 pm
    IT’S GONE.

They Are Watching and Reading Every Post Here right now folks.

SOB’S!

MAKE IT RIGHT! FESS UP!

Try these–I still can view them at the original URLs:

11. nancy says:

thanks, steve m., for your story and clarification, and for your time and money spent finding out what happened to your kitties. i’m sorry for the loss of your little boy.

12. Sandy says:

Steve M , I am so sorry about your cats and Hil’s run around . I have posted a few times that when they recalled the Hills M/D I suspected more would be bad but ..nobody would admit it…I stopped buying Rx Hills .Its crazy that people have to pay to test foods ..I can’t afford too.

On the Vitamin C (not sure if you mentioned it above or another Steve )but I wrote Alacer makers of EMERGEN -C

THIS is their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Our Vitamin C supplier, Jiangsu Jiangshan Pharmaceutical Corp. (JSPC), is a large pharmaceutical (not nutraceutical) enterprise in China. JSPC operates using Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and the control standard maintained by the company is higher than international standards. JSPC is also in conformity with ISO9002 standards (international recognition) and they meet U. S. Pharmacopoeia, British Pharmacopoeia and Japanese Pharmacopoeia standards.

Additionally, once the material is received by Alacer, it is held in quarantine for analytical testing to assure ingredient identity and purity. Then during production, another series of testing is conducted. Finally, all finished goods are held in quarantine again for a final round of analytical testing. This same level of rigorous testing is applied to every ingredient Alacer uses.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Kindest regards,

I ended up thanking them for being honest and letting them know I will not do business with them as I will not DO China

Hills..and Purina are big names and a lot of vets pimp their foods..they will get away with a lot of death and illness sadly this is a fact

13. Garyn says:

Steve M I am so sorry for your loss. And thankyou for providing this information.

Gerry, my thought process was that both are used to treat osteoarthritis. Glucosamine repairs cartilege and Acetaminophen provides relief for arthritic pain assuming the animal doesn’t die first!!! So the animal has pain relief, stiffness is gone and you think it is because the food says it has glucosime which is expensive. This was just the first thing I thought of because why else would a deadly pain reliever be in pet food. The scientists must have been drunk that day. This is criminal.

14. Gerry says:

I cant help but wonder if this time it is a loon running around trying to be a serial pet killer!! It may sound nutty ,but before this recall happened adding melamine to pet food and antifreeze to toothpaste sounded pretty nutty too.

15. Debbie4747 says:

steveM,
    I’m so sorry over your loss and would like to thank you for posting your story and having the food tested. I hope we will be able to prove to all what criminals we are dealing with.

16. YaYa says:

I’m Glad you posted Steve M. And that you are sticking to your guns. You may well save many pet ives with your being open about this. {as the food maker{s} seem not to care}

I hope yur other cat recovers completely. And I’m sorry you lost another.

This is just is Very hard to believe that this “medication” is showing up in FOODS!
    No reason, No excuse, will do. For NONE exist.

There are Warnings on every bottle of Brand name or generic Acetaminophen. {that just for humans}.

And I’d venture to say that Most pet owners know Acetaminophen is a Huge No-No for pets! The Vets Always tell folks don’t give acetaminophen. It’s a given.

Good Gawd what could possibly have happened for this much, in Sooo many brands to show up?!

Anyway, I hope Progress is your fortune there Steve M.
    Thanks for stopping by!

17. Susan says:

Gerry,
    North American Kelp gets their kelp off the coast of Maine. Their website is www.noamkelp.com. Hope that helps.
    Susan

18. martin says:

jood42 Says:

I just called Hill’s and they say they don’t know anything about it, and that they’d “definitely pass on my concerns.”

That’s Bull ****. They know and have been told.

Steve M says:

lieing.I have email’s as proof.

They have no intentions of doing anything. Not until the media gets involved.

Thanks to Itchmo and the labs for finding this. Maybe now that the cat is out of the bag there wont be as many placed in one!

19. Gerry says:

Garyn. That makes alot of sense!! Than everyone goes around bragging on their dog food that works wonders for rovers joint pain. I think you may have something there. Or it is the loon theory.

20. Maureen says:

New USDA People Food Recall: Listeria possible - very dangerous http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_...../index.asp

Stop & Shop precooked chicken product recalled in NY, NJ

New York Firm Recalls Chicken Products For Possible Listeria Contamination
    Recall Release CLASS I RECALL
    FSIS-RC-026-2007 HEALTH RISK: HIGH

WASHINGTON, June 5, 2007 - The Really Cool Food Company, a Syosset, N.Y., firm, is voluntarily recalling approximately 140 pounds of chicken products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today.

The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels, PDF Only]

* 12-ounce trays of “STOP & SHOP All Natural Grilled Balsamic Flavored Chicken Breast, ALL-NATURAL CHEF PREPARED READY-TO-HEAT MEALS.” Each label bears the establishment number “P-33912″ inside the USDA mark of inspection and a “Sell-by” date of “6/12/07.”

The chicken products were produced on May 24, 2007 and were distributed to retail establishments in New Jersey and New York.

21. Gerry says:

Susan..Thank you for the info on the kelp p…

22. Faith says:

Sandy, Your comment about vets pimping Science Diet and Purina is very accurate (and hilarious…. we have to find the humor when we can)! Just yesterday I watched a couple of vets hand a dog’s person some Purina One food and convince the person that this would make her dog want to eat again. It was sooooo hard to stay in my seat and mind my own business. I chased the woman down when she left and tried to talk to her about vets and these foods but she didn’t listen. Maybe when she finally sees it in the mainstream news or has her own terrible experience she will listen.

Steve, My heart breaks for your human family and your furry family. Thank you so much for sharing the details! It’s what your kitties would have asked you to do …. if only we were smart enough to communicate directly with them. Best wishes.

23. Ticocats says:

Menusux, if you can still can view them at the original URLs, they’re probably stored on your local computer’s cache. Try searching for a file named
    img_regainthemomentum_521×186_en.jpg
    and if you find it, make a copy and save it somewhere else (on your desktop or where ever) so it won’t vanish if/when you clear the web browser cache.

24. CCnDuke says:

Gerry:
    Try these folks: http://www.cyanotech.com/index.html

They have been forthcoming with info when I dealt with them.

Love to Those on Rainbow Bridge and Luck to Us Who Aren’t

25. JJ says:

Who is doing this, why are they doing this, how can they sleep at night while the sickness and deaths go on and on? These person(s) need to be hung in a public square for all to see. Even that would not be good enough for them!

26. mara says:

Can someone post the number for Hills. And also the number for the correct person at FDA. Can everyone please call Hills on Friday between 9am-12 pm and have the phone ringing off the hook and demand you speak with the head of the company. Call many many times till they stop giving the famous line. “I will pass on your concerns,” and demand the contact for the head of this company, get a fax number and fax a picture of a loved pet that was poisoned and tell them they killed your pet,how many more are they going to kill. Demand they call a full pet food recall and tell the world the truth. Anyone who has lost a pet should be also calling media until they get someone to get this story out. If you have a child, have the child get on the phone and tell them Hills has poison and killed their pet. Enough is enough and phones, faxes etc should be going to these companies. getting cheap poison from China. IT is time to put greed out of business and never buy their products. Life has no value, animal or human on this planet and greed is the biggest disease of all.People need to speak up now. We will all have to start cooking for our own pets. THis is a wake-up call that everyone is outsourcing to China with disregard for your life or a loved pet or child.China has garbage and it;s cheap. Even toxic toys with lead are allowed here to poison the children. Contact your law makers. Boycott the China Olympics.

27. Gerry says:

CCnDuke..Thank you too! This is much appreciated.

28. Ann H says:

I am so glad this is getting co-ordinated.

Can we set up a paypal fund for testing fees?

I know I cannot afford to have a couple of the wet food pouches I have here tested, but I can certainly afford to contribute to a testing fund and I trust Itchmo & family.

29. Ruth says:

To Steve M. Don, and Sharon, Thanks for posting your results. Sorry, for you loss.

Its so sad that pet parents have to pay so much to have these food samples tested because pet food companies don’t want to admitt they are wrong or worse they knew what they are doing.

Steve M, I went to that website you posted and all 3 times I went to read the test results the internet explorer would boot me off and I had to start again but I read the results. How strange?

30. Susan says:

Mara,

From their website:
    Contact Hill’s by phone:
    If you would prefer to speak with us immediately and are located in North America, call us at 1-800-445-5777 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST, Monday-Friday.

Steve M,

What a wonderful tribute to your cat Chuckles, and I love how she got her name. Mine too love to chatter at the window watching birds. Thank you fo sharing your finding with all us regarding the HILLS my littlest was eating C/D before all this as her dry, my oldest was eating Eukanuba dry and they both ate FF Elegant medleys that has not been recalled either when they both fell ill within 24 hours of each other. Heck after hearing this maybe all 3 were bad who will ever know, After 9 weeks both seem to be doing well totally off wet pet food and KUMPI dry for vitamins. I wanted to have my remaining case of FF tested but they are tricky and mix different batches in the case of 24 and I do not know which number was on the 2 cans that poisoned them because I threw them out. *SIGH* It is amazing how even in manufacturing they are in CYA mode. Pretty scary

32. Gerry says:

Mara. count me in! Is that eastern time? I live in the west? I would hate to miss the right time!

33. J. H. says:

THIS IS OUT AND OUT A MURDEROUS PERSON(S), PEOPLE WITH VERY SICK MINDS. HOPE THIS NONSENSE IS STOPPED SOON. MEANWHILE, I CONTINUE TO COOK ALL OUR PETS FOOD, MADE FROM PEOPLE FOOD. ACTUALLY IT’S BETTER AND CHEAPER THEN PET FOODS.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL WITH SICK PETS. SPECIAL BLESSINGS TO ALL THE SICK ANIMALS.

34. Ticocats says:

I also had a seemingly health cat go into sudden renal failure while eating a non-recalled Hill’s dry food. She survived, and is now totally into home cookin’. Meanwhile, I threw away almost $200 worth of Hill’s products (long story - I live in a very remote area.)

Best news (other than my cat’s survival): I’ve been helping keep our vet informed by sending her Itchmo and Petconnection entries, and she’s now stopped selling Hill’s products entirely.

35. HomeGrown says:

Didn’t know if anyone saw this yet. Hope you aren’t using these vitamins.

FDA Responds to Chairman Waxman’s Question about Lead in Women’s Multivitamins

36. Kiki says:

From:

From CommonDreams.org

posted at:

Zheng Xiaoyu Meet Lester Crawford
    Corporate Crime Reporter, May 31, 2007
    Straight to the Source

Zheng Xiaoyu meet Lester Crawford.Lester Crawford is the former head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Zheng Xiaoyu is the former head of China’s equivalent of the FDA.

Both have been convicted of crimes committed while in office.

Earlier this week, Zheng was sentenced to death.

Earlier this year, Crawford was sentenced to three years probation.

Zheng was sentenced to death for allegedly pocketing bribes from drug makers seeking fast track approval.

Zheng allegedly took cash and gifts from eight companies, either personally or routed through his wife and son, for approving fake medicine.

Zheng was convicted of the charges after a ten-day closed door trial.

And sentenced to death.

It was a political trial and a political sentence that came on the heels of news stories that threatened China’s export-driven economy.

What was concerning China’s political leadership?

Was it the bribery?

Was it the babies that died of malnutrition in Anhui province in 2004 after they were fed fake milk powder with no nutritional value?

Was it the antibiotic approved by the food and drug agency during Zheng’s tenure that killed at least 10 patients in 2006 before it was taken off the market?

No, no, and no.

It was the dead dogs and cats in the United States that were dying from contaminated pet food from China.

It was the exported contaminated toothpaste that contained a chemical used in antifreeze.

It was the Chinese medical products linked to deaths in Panama.

The news of exports from China killing abroad threatened the foundations of the Chinese economy.

And someone had to pay the price.

That would be Zheng Xiaoyu.

What message does our system send when the former head of our FDA gets his industry ties caught in the Justice Department’s grinder?

No jail.

Three years probation.

$90,000 fine.

Nice paying job at a pharma consulting firm.

Even a keynote address at Harvard University later this year on the topic of FDA compliance.

That of course would be the case of former FDA chief Lester Crawford.

It wasn’t his corporate ideology that got former Crawford in trouble last year.

It was trying to hide the extent of his corporate connections.

In October 2007, Crawford pled guilty to charges that he hid his ownership in stock in food and drug companies that the FDA regulates. He was sentenced earlier this year to three years probation and fined $90,000.

For the past year or so, Crawford has worked at a consulting firm, Policy Directions.

And he’s scheduled to appear as a keynote speaker later this year at the FDA Regulatory and Compliance Symposium at Harvard University.

Dr. Steve Nissen, for one, is troubled by the extent of the pharmaceutical industry’s ties to federal cops on the corporate crime beat.

Nissen is chairman of the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

He is concerned about the “imbalance of power between the FDA and industry.”

“When drug studies reveal toxicity or lack of efficacy, the FDA is not permitted to release the results and the findings are often not published, thereby denying patients and physicians access to vitally important safety information,” Nissen said in little reported comments last year at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

The reason?

Conflicts of interest at the highest levels of the FDA.

The entire FDA budget for drug regulation is about $500 million and relies extensively on pharmaceutical industry user fees, Dr. Nissen said.

As a result, the FDA is financially indebted to the companies it must regulate.

Nissen pointed to Dr. Scott Gottlieb, who was sitting right next to him at the National Press Club event.

Gottlieb was deputy FDA commissioner at the time. He later resigned to join the corporate funded American Enterprise Institute.

“For years, we had an interim FDA Commissioner, Lester Crawford, who shortly after confirmation, abruptly resigns, apparently because he and his wife owned stock in regulated companies,” he says.

“Then the administration appointed Andrew Von Eschenbach as interim commissioner, creating another conflict,” Dr. Nissen says. “In his role as director of the National Cancer Institute, Von Eschenbach must seek FDA approval for human testing or approval of new cancer drugs, an obvious conflict.”

“Even worse, the administration appointed Scott Gottlieb as deputy commissioner,” Dr. Nissen says. “He came to this job with no regulatory experience, directly from Wall Street, where he served as a biotech analyst and stock promoter. Between them, Drs. Von Eschenbach and Gottlieb have whined incessantly about the need to speed drug development. So while the American people worry about the safety of drugs, the top FDA leadership tells us we need faster drug approval.”

When asked about his industry connections, Gottlieb said that he complied with all legal requirements.

But that wasn’t Nissen’s point.

It’s legal in the United States for the pharmaceutical companies to take over the FDA.

No death penalty needed.

37. Kevin says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Steve. I’m impressed with the investigation you did to provide us with this information. Although I make all my cats food from raw meat, I have been following these stories for several weeks now and I am appalled at the FDA and the commercial pet food industry.

Everyone here, you are so right. Corporate America is not going to tell you or help you with anything unless you follow through like Steve did to get the word out.

Steve, file a law suit and keep everything documented.

Kevin.

38. getting skinny! says:

Okay, so when all this started coming down with the pet food recall, I called a company that makes dog treats, I asked where they were made… silly me, thought they made them right where they office was located in a small colorado community.. NOT.. big facility in utah. I asked specifically where their ingredients came from, all usa or sourced out? They told me that the glucosimine & controtian (sp)… has to come from China as all the mfgers in the USA could not keep up with the low prices… true or not, how do we find out?

China has so much control over our country, time for us to take our country back. I am selecting 4 items a day that are in my household, I am calling each mfg to find out ALL details on the food/health products, anything out of the country, in the trash, and no I can not afford it, but what else are we suppose to do? Does anyone remember in the news last January or so.. a freighter ship from China got stuck in the sand off of Florida and some of the containers fell over board….. does anyone remember the do*ritos chips floating on the water???

39. Sandy says:

I like that sentencing to death stuff they do in China. I think some at the FDA and Menu foods…..and pet food company CEO’s should have to be sentenced to the same

Sandy, I am surprised how detailed the response from Alacer was. I find that much better than the companies who are claiming all US ingredients while their products are full of vitamins B and C. A manufacturer who understands where the stuff comes from, and tests it, is much safer than one who believes it’s all made here and never investigates.

41. Leslie k says:

Hi everyone- A little off topic. My chihuahua has been sick for the last 2 wks. Blood in urine & urine not concentrating.Very high Bilirubin & GGTP. Extremely high Eosinophils & low T4. High RBC on urinalysis. This only started after switching his food. He has had Wellness lamb dry dog, Canidae lamb dry dog , Timberwolf venison & lamb , Wellness super 5 chicken & Evangers pheasant & br rice. Don’t know which is causing the problem. My lab mix had the runs for 2 wks & now my beagle is having accidents in the house. So far so good on the cats. I can’t afford to have all of the foods tested. Already did 1 & the vet bills. Most are open but I have an unopened Evangers. Just wanted to let everyone else using these foods know ther might be a problem.

Ticocats Says:

June 5th, 2007 at 7:28 pm
    img_regainthemomentum_521×186_en.jpg

They’ve closed their directory–which should never have been open to the public in the first place.

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

So here’s Regain the Momentum:

Proving they are watching this website.

Why can directories be shut so quickly but NO answers re: acetaminophen from the company? Why no voluntary recalls? Deny it if it’s not there–actions like this infer everyone here is right on the $. The media is watching this situation from both sides–your actions and silence and what’s posted on the pet blogs–there are TWO sides to this and yours won’t talk at all.

43. Moony says:

Why do I get the sinking feeling the unnamed company will turn out to be Natural Balance? Oh yeah, because my Miaka died of liver failure, and in the past they’ve lied and otherwise been uncooperative bastiches.

Leslie K - Which food did you switch to that started causing the Chi’s problems? ‘Cause that would be your culprit. Otherwise if you’re feeding ALL those different foods, I’d start a process of elimination, beginning with Timberwolf since as I recall they’re canned by our favorite Menu Foods. Then Wellness, since they’ve just been bought out by a conglomerate (Purina?).

44. DJackson says:

Thanks for the reply’s, I have about decided to go ahead and have the pet food that I have left tested, even if it is just for my own peace of mind.
    What I have is 1 open bag of Hills S D, one opened Iams and 2 unopened cans of Hills- one of them is Hills Diabetes Management and the other is Hills Prescription W/D. The 2 cans were sent home with us the first day Alley got sick, we took her back to the vet the next day and she never left so they were never opened but I believe it possible she was given some of the same at the Vet’s. The first day we took her to the vet we were told she had diabetes but that she would be ok and was sent home with instructions. After taking her back the next day (lethargic and vomiting) they kept her and re ran the blood test and we were called and told she had acute rental failure and there was no hope . After resisting we agreed to have her put down, this was 2 weeks prior to the recall. The Vet could not explain why her BUN was 21 and then three days later was 71.
    About two months before she became ill we had changed her to
    Iams Adult (alternated with her normal Meow Mix) then while at the vet in Jan 06 was told since she had gained weight that Science Diet would be better so we bought it from the Vet, this was about 1 month before she became ill and was the dry and is the open bag that I have left. We have another cat that never ate the S Diet and never got sick but has since Alley died became very finicky about what she eats and I noticed this also before the recall. I have turned all this into the FDA and they called and took my info but that was months ago and have never heard anything back. But I do think I will go ahead and have what I have tested.

45. Janet says:

How the “blank” (you fill it in), did acetaminophen get into pet food and why are the sirens not going off about it?
    No sirens??? Because it is not required by law.
    Pets are worth very little in the eyes of the law and companies stand to lose money if they reveal this information. Therefore, our pets are once again victims in the name of profits.
    It is such a sad commentary on the way of our world these days.
    Someone on itchmo recently posted the following quote. I wish I knew who to attribute it to, but I’ve lost the link.
    This quote should be the established as the battlecry of pet bloggers who are still following these incredible unfolding events.

——————————————————————————–

“Complacency is a far more dangerous attitude than outrage.”

Naomi Littlebear
    Native American Writer
    The Dark of the Moon

46. mittens says:

i guess the real question is what ingredient exactly was the acetaminophen put in. how many months has this been? how could anyone including the fda be so arrogant to assume no one dare challenge their half assed incomplete, redacted results?

‘ even if the pets are still getting sick, you must acquit’?

i guess theyve been spending all their time rigorously keeping canadian made cheap drugs out of the hands of america’s elderly and poor to ‘protect’ them but insuring a flood of poison from all other fronts. bravo.

47. Lisa Clay says:

Thank you Maureen for the Stop n Shop info - we shop there all the time.

To Steve - I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. Perhaps your cat’s story will make it to the national news where it belongs. You have the proof and no one can argue with proof.

I can’t afford to have food tested but should any of my cats pass away, I will have them tested.

I don’t understand how this continues to go on this way, nearly 3 months later. Do companies really think we are STUPID? With websites where we can post, read everyone’s story, get food facts and know we are not alone, we become a rather large voice for safety. Companies and the government can keep trying to ignore this, but it is not going away.

I talk to everyone I know about the pet food recall, and while I’m sure there are some people who think I’m a bit over the top, I do point out that it has affected our (people) food as well. Ignoring it does not make it go away and if anything, the longer the companies avoid telling the truth, the more damage they are doing themselves.

Again, HATS OFF to Itchmo - and I see from reading earlier, Itchmo is banned in China. Why am I not surprised?

Just a note to everyone who hears the words ISO tested (whichever version, 9000, 9001), keep in mind that the Firestone tires on the Ford trucks came from an ISO inspected and approved tire manufacturer.

48. Kevin says:

Lisa Clay,

I don’t believe that Corporate America thinks were stupid. What they do know is that we are helpless. They know that no one individual can compete with the resources they have at their disposal. They have the money and we are the victims. After reading all these posts, it just makes me sick! If it were my pet that was poisened, I would be kicking axx and taking names. Literally!

Once again Steve, my thoughts are with you.

49. Lisa Clay says:

Kevin - You are right and they do have all the money.

I haven’t purchased any foods from Menu or any company that uses Menu. I have verified where all the food I am feeding has come from and had fed some of the recalled Nutro.

I am one person who will never use any of the products again, but it has to be everyone. We can hit them where it hurts financially, if we all do it together. I spend on average about $100 a month on food for 3 cats. I realize that it’s a drop in the bucket when it is just me, but again, as a group we can make a difference.

I should also add that I have spent a LOT of $ on vet costs in the last 3 months and will have continued expenses making sure everyone is healthy.

50. mittens says:

my understanding was that Wellness and Old Mother hubbard( same company) although not recalled had their canned foods ( before being bought) made at Melamu i mean Menu Foods.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 » Show All