EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food

UPDATE: The company that tested the food requested that we remove the image of the report from this post after being contacted by Proctor & Gamble, the parent company of Iams.

UPDATE 2: We received a call from an Iams spokesman. We have updated the story with their response.

UPDATE 3: We believe the bags in question are located in the Denver area.

ORIGINAL POST: Itchmo has learned that a toxicology test reported the presence of cyanuric acid in an opened bag of what is alleged to be Iams Large Breed dry dog food.

According to the report obtained by Itchmo, the results have been certified by a forensic toxicologist. We have obtained a copy of the toxicology report. Iams Large Breed does not list rice protein concentrate or wheat gluten as ingredients.

In response, Iams says they are “fully confident” that no cyanuric acid or melamine entered their products. They also defended their “exceptional response” to handling customer complaints. When asked if they were testing for melamine and cyanuric acid after the manufacture of their products, Iams said that they were “constantly improving their quality control processes.”

We cannot stress this point enough: This test was performed on a sample from an opened bag. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after the sale, or if it is widespread.

This information requires verification and we are asking for your help.

Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.

If you find an unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If it’s the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

If an unopened bag is found and tested, we will release the results as soon as they become available regardless of the outcome.

451 Responses to “EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Show All

1. Maureen says:

I saw this on your site yesterday. Then it disappeared. Now back. I was afraid that Iams flexed their muscles at you.

This is such an important service that you’re providing to pets and owners. I’ve been reading anecdotal stories about Iams dry foods for cats and dogs for a long time, that it’s about time this came out in the open.

Iams must recall. The FDA must be gutted and a new agency created that has regulatory teeth.

2. Susan says:

I am on my way to Agway. They carry Iams and I want to see if they have that particular size and lot #. I’ll let you know.

3. ItchmoRocks says:

You provide an invaluable outlet for pet owners who want to know the truth. God bless you and protect you Mr. Itchmo. A lot of us care about you and we know you care about our pets too. Here’s hoping that you find the food and get it tested and get some answers.

4. E. Hamilton says:

All hail itchmo!!
    We are not worthy!

ok, so i was searching around to see how CA could be purchased (solo or as part of a mix) and i found this lil’ tidbit interesting:

Testing for cyanuric acid is most commonly done with a turbidometric test, which uses a test reagent to precipitate the cyanuric acid and then uses the relative cloudiness (turbidity) of the reacted sample to gauge the CYA concentration.

A reagent called melamine is used. The melamine combines with the cyanuric acid in the water to form a fine, insoluble, white precipitate that causes the water to cloud in proportion to the amount of cyanuric acid in it. When the water clouds, it becomes more difficult to see an object in it.

so maybe we should be asking the pool companies for help ?!~

It has nothing to do with race, color, country or whatever. We are battling corruption and greed here. And it’s all concentrated at the highest levels of Government and Big Business.

Sad to see it come to this. Where America is sold out daily to any hack with a big bank account.

whoops!

here’s an unbroken link:

8. LorieVA says:

I am going to PETCO after work to get kitty liter will check the bags of IAMS while there, what color is the bag, I have 2 cats so not familiar with dog food, but glad to help.

They had issues last year with IAMS dry hairball vomiting and runny blood stool vet could not figure out what ws wrong. HMMM

Heads Up

MAY 24, 2007 - 11:41 ET

Menu Foods Income Fund to Announce 2007 First Quarter Results May 30, 2007

TORONTO, ONTARIO–(CCNMatthews - May 24, 2007) -

NOT FOR RELEASE OVER US NEWSWIRE SERVICES

Attention Business/Financial Editors

Menu Foods Income Fund (TSX:MEW.UN) announced today that it will release its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2007 on Wednesday, May 30, 2007.

A conference call to review these results will take place the following day on Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 8:30 a.m. EST (Toronto time). The conference call will be chaired by Paul Henderson, Menu’s President and Chief Executive Officer. Paul will be joined on the call by Mark Wiens, Menu’s Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer.

To access the conference call in real time, please call 416-850-9150 or 1-866-809-4939. A replay will be available from approximately one hour after the end of the conference call until March 1, 2007 by dialing 416-915-1035 or 1-866-245-6755, using passcode 876984 followed by the number sign. A live audio webcast of the conference call is also available, it can be accessed by entering www.ccnmatthews.com/news/webcasts/index.jsp on an Internet browser. A replay of the webcast will be available for one year, it can be accessed by entering www.ccnmatthews.com/news/webcasts/index.jsp on an Internet browser.

10. tf says:

I pray that Accutrace releases lists of foods that test positive for toxins to the press… I know that one test does not mean that a particular brand is completely unsafe. But if Accutrace would make their results public, then maybe these companies would wake up, and also lives would be saved!

11. Amy says:

Hey - I wasn’t kidding when I said Itchmo for President!

You have done so much to help us all; I only wish our government would do such a good job of trying to protect our citizens!

12. tf says:

ps. The report jpg does not say “cyanuric acid found” it just says that the material tests positive for some chemical. Were there additional pages to the report not posted?

(many many thanks mr. itchmo, for all that you do… I lost my cat, Jasper in March, and now I check your site several times a day. )

13. LorieVA says:

it says cyauric acid detected right on the page

14. mikescats says:

Ben,

Noticed the #’s in your article are different than the #’s on the lab report. I plan on checking for a bag at local stores this afternoon. I’ve copied both #’s just in case.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Yes, we confirmed the number with the person who ordered the test and our published number is accurate.

15. Amy says:

tf - see ‘details cyanuric acid: detected’ below the box on the page; the test is called an ‘unknown chemicals/toxins’ test.

16. EKO says:

Wow, just wow. Thank you Itchmo!
    I almost bought the IAMS Large Breed the other day at Costco, since I didn’t want to get my usual bag of Nutra Nuggets. Glad I didn’t get it. I feel like I’m playing Russian Roulette when I go dog food shopping.

17. lovmydog says:

I am just waiting for the 10 million dollar Purina plant that started operations in Feb this year, and that was strategically located in close
    proximity to a port…..to start shipping their canned ‘goods’ to other
    countries. Go ahead and google it, there is a statement from the plant
    operations manager, and he says that it was located near a port ‘in case’ they decide to start exporting the product. Oh but don’t worry, they will
    be using local ingredients……..I don’t know how I will react if I ever see
    a can of pet food that is made/canned in China. I wonder when they pan
    to start exporting, it sure seems like part of their plan. Been to the Purina website, and there is NOTHING about their new fancy plant in China. Why not Purina?

18. Kirsten says:

The reason I think this is dramatic is because the sample appears to have tested *negative* for melamine, but *positive* for cyanuric acid. This is the first time I, for one, have seen this type of test result.

I hope you get this confirmed and keep up the great work!

Note to FDA:

I’m confused.

Didn’t you guys tell us repeatedly that the exising food supply is safe?

Did you see that lab report? It says “cyanuric acid”. That doesn’t sound safe to me.

Why don’t you just tell us that you don’t have a clue about what’s going on with the pet food supply?

20. sandi says:

Unjbelieveable, how could this company do this?

They blew the whistle on the contaminated pet foods

Sandi

21. Serijna says:

If you did not before, this would be the time to make a donation to Itchmo(like I just did). The testing by Itchmo must cost them. This is a service to their readers that goes way beyong the wonderful updated unbiased news. It will send the pet food makers into shudders of fear… now they could be caught. Now more hiding behind the PFI or FDA.
    Many pet parents cannot afford individual testing. Making a donation, even if small, to Itchmo, and have a concerted effort by testing suspect petfood not recalled- yet. Will flush out the creeps among pet food manufacturers. What a wonderful valuable service by Itchmo.

Sandi,

only if they can conffirm it wasn’t tainted by someone with an agenda (peta comes to my mind) other than the Chinese . . .

23. kim says:

24. 4lgdfriend says:

Kirsten said: Therefore, if companies continue to test for melamine alone, it doesn’t confirm that the food is actually “clean”, does it?

Straybaby said: Testing for cyanuric acid is most commonly done with a turbidometric test, which uses a test reagent to precipitate the cyanuric acid …

??? why doesn’t melamine show in the test then? and if it was in there to begin w, how could they tell if it was the adulterant melamine or the
    reagent melamine?
    not a chemist here….

25. Sandi K says:

This just disgusts me. This is what happened to our kitty. I complained about food in Dec/Jan only to be blown off and then a private vet decides to test on their own and they find contamination. And look what happens again? And the only thing FDA has done is sent a letter to pet food companies saying they are allowed to police themselves and are”expected” to ensure their food is safe. Well FDA when are you going to get a clue that they obviously arent going to do anything? And in the meantime more pets have to get sick and die? Does anyone know if FDA can be sued or are they protected also?

26. 4lgdfriend says:

Kim said: Kirsten - EXACTLY! Some of the pet food companies are posting results that tested negative for melamine. That’s now meaningless.

So this is really going to blow the lid off. FINALLY! About d*** time

uh, and, also,
    FDA RELEASE THE IDENITIFED 5TH TOXIN TO THE PUBLIC NOW

27. Sandi K says:

Note to above, it wasnt our vet that tested it, it was the lady in California…just to clarify.

28. 4lgdfriend says:

Sandi K said: FDA has done is sent a letter to pet food companies saying they are allowed to police themselves and are”expected” to ensure their food is safe. Well FDA when are you going to get a clue that they obviously arent going to do anything?

duh, never. The mfrs PAY the FDA to speed their approvals.
    The FDA works FOR THE MFRS. not for us.

When are people going to understand?

29. sandi says:

For some reason I cannot explain, I do not want to see BARF, Billinghurst diets or promos.

Enough, is enough,

It really peeved me.

Sandi

hello Sen. Durbin, got a min.?

31. 4lgdfriend says:

ok so we have a whole different realm of symptoms to consider here.

let’s get rolling…….
    I knew the melamine was a red herring. I KNEW it.

32. thomas says:

Thanks itchmo for the great work!! I am wondering if the american agri businesses in China are involved in the tainted pet foods. I read Dr. Fox’s theory on the possibilities of GMO seeds being involved. When you become aware that Dupont has teamed up with Dekalb in China , Pioneer seeds is operating in china. Conagra is operating in china it makes you wonder if just the chinese are involved in this or are others?

I also have wondered if the USDA and FDA are being told to ease up on the infestigation as they could hurt some companies bottom line?

33. E. Hamilton says:

Iams “blew the whistle” because they were getting slammed with complaints and they NEVER put an ad on TV to make people aware of the symptoms, Iams did what they did to COVER THEIR BUTT, not yours, not your pets, not to be doing the right thing.

I have been saying from day one that NONE of the big pet companies can be trusted to give clear test results, give honest answers on the phone or make food that I will ever feed a pet!

34. Jody says:

Okay guys….I need some help…..I had blood work done on my 13 year old dog her BUN and CREA levels are in the high area. Not way, way high but still on the high side. She was fine 6 months ago. The vet wants me to put her on a kidney veterinary diet…

Has anyone seen the ingredients in this type of dog food. It is all junk….I had to pick one so I picked Purina NF Kidney formula. It breaks my heart to feed her this….but I do not know what esle to do.

What are people feeding their dogs that has kidney failure?
    If anyone has went through this and can give me some ideas I would really be grateful. Thank you

35. Pet Connection Blog » It's the melamine stupid -- and the tetrodotoxin, and the diethylene glycol) says:

[…] Itchmo has a toxicology report showing cyanuric acid was found in a pet food not on the recall list, and is looking for help in finding additional bags of food from the same lot. Head over there and see if you can assist him with his ongoing investigation, and watch his site for new developments. […]

36. mikee says:

Natura Pet Products Adds Cyanuric Acid Testing to its Quality Control Program
    Tuesday May 22, 1:46 pm ET

SAN JOSE, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–To further ensure the safety of all of its pet foods, Natura Pet Products has announced that, effective immediately, a new protocol will be added to its standard 120-point quality control program that will test for cyanuric acid.

Although Natura has not been implicated in any of the recent recalls, the company is committed to producing the healthiest pet food in the world and has pledged to test all of their products to ensure 100% safety. Natura is currently testing for melamine contamination, but recent reports have found that melamine combined with cyanuric acid — rather than melamine alone — likely caused the kidney damage in pets that ate tainted food.

Cyanuric acid (1,3,5-triazine-2,4,6-triol, C3H3N3O3) is an organic compound commonly used as a water treatment stabilizer for swimming pools and hot tubs and is a metabolite of melamine. This compound was found in some of the tainted ingredients and in the tissue and urine of some of the animals that ate the contaminated food.

Since the March Menu Foods recalls, Natura has made several bold decisions related to the nutritional health and safety of its products. In addition to becoming the first pet food company to guarantee its products are 100% safe from melamine, Natura is in the process of acquiring a canning plant so that it can exercise complete control over the production of all of its products. Natura does not use any protein supplements from non-U.S. sources.

37. Stephanie says:

Has anyone heard any complaints about Science Diet? Someone informed me that their dog is sick. The dog is vomiting, isn’t eating and had blood in her urine. I haven’t heard of blood in the urine as being a problem, but if it were my dog, I would panic. The vet diagnosed her with a UTI and gave antibiotics, but she doesn’t seem to be getting better. Just wondering if anyone had seen any complaints about SD during the last couple of months.

38. ItchmoRocks says:

Stephanie..does your friend still have any of the food left? Maybe a good idea to get it tested by a lab.

39. Katie says:

Well, this is going to be interesting…since I have had a problem with Eukanuba Senior Maint. dry dog food. My information on food,symptoms,purchase, etc… was just sent to my FDA investigator this AM. Maybe I’m not nuts and hysterical after all!

Thanks Itchmo, I hope someone has a bag that can be tested.
    Maybe finally, finally us dry dog food people will have some answers.

Katie

40. Kim says:

Stephanie - yes, I’ve seen a few reports about Science Diet. Here’s a few on the DRY DOG Science Diet:

41. denni says:

itchmo…send that report to Sen. Durbin’s office.

42. mikescats says:

Jody, there is a Yahoo group called K9KidneyDiet. By far one of the best groups I have seen. They can help you with interpreting the labs and coming up with a diet that would be suitable for your dog. Commercial diets are usually much to high in phosphorous for a kidney dog.
    Hope this helps….

Stephanie, I have read umpty complaints about SD products on this blog alone. They are spread out over months, but their have been many many complaints by posters here about a variety of SD both wet and dry.

44. Katie says:

Jody,

I don’t know if you saw my post above.

What my dog showed: restlessness, gut pain, hot dry nose, excessive water drinking - 128 to 256 oz/day and she weighs 47lbs. When I started home cooking for her, her water drinking returned to normal: 40 oz/day. She is now taking Pepcid AC for gastric distress.

Her Chems: BUN and Creat. high side of normal. But double what those chems had run for two years.

Her Urine: WBC’s and RBC’s have been on the rise, last cysto had 4-10 RBC’s/hpf and granular casts. Protein too.

Diet: I’m feeding a home cooked kidney diet. I have the time and therefore chose not to go the commercial kidney diet route. A good place to find info: Yahoo groups: K9KidneyDiet also dogaware.com which is Mary Strauss’s web site and she owns the Kidney Diet group. Good info. there.

Hope this helps,
    Katie

45. LorieVA says:

Can’t find all symptoms of ingestion of Cyuaric acid but here is one :

INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim’s airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital. (NTP, 1992)

I have read some peoples pets have had siezures which would be the same as convulsions

has anyone has their pets tremble? Someone on another list just lost their pup today. sounds like it came on fairly quick (renal failure w/trembling) i don’t want to email and ask what the pup was eating (i think they may believe it’s age related, 12yo Dal), but that little alarm bell is going off in my head . . .

had their pets tremble! not has :-/

48. Jody says:

Katie,—— thank you so much for the information. I love my dog so much and only want to do the BEST thing for her. I will look at these website.

Jody

49. Lynn says:

Everyone: go back and read the link in straybaby Says: May 24th, 2007 at 2:23 pm - do’t skim it - READ IT in full.
    If I understand correctly [and those of you with chemistry knowledge please correct me], it’s possible that if there was another toxin in the bag that the cyanuric acid dissipated it before the test.

Does this mean that I can go out to a pool supply company and buy a cyanuric acid test kit, drop a kibble of ground up dry dog food in the test tube, add tap water, shake it up like crazy and then read the results? [And Teri at AccuTrace - if this is a viable method of testing I truly don’t mean to waylay business from you - I just so want to get home test kits to the consumer. You have pets - you know what it means to us.]

CYA: pool professionals acronym for cyanuric acid. Hmmmmmm - CYA - cover your a**. How appropriate.

50. Gerry says:

Jody…chapter 13 DIET and chronic renal disease…. HOME PREPARED DOG AND CAT DIETS THE HEALTHFUL ALTERNATIVE BY DONALD R. STROMBECK,DVM.PHD

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Show All