EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food

UPDATE: The company that tested the food requested that we remove the image of the report from this post after being contacted by Proctor & Gamble, the parent company of Iams.

UPDATE 2: We received a call from an Iams spokesman. We have updated the story with their response.

UPDATE 3: We believe the bags in question are located in the Denver area.

ORIGINAL POST: Itchmo has learned that a toxicology test reported the presence of cyanuric acid in an opened bag of what is alleged to be Iams Large Breed dry dog food.

According to the report obtained by Itchmo, the results have been certified by a forensic toxicologist. We have obtained a copy of the toxicology report. Iams Large Breed does not list rice protein concentrate or wheat gluten as ingredients.

In response, Iams says they are “fully confident” that no cyanuric acid or melamine entered their products. They also defended their “exceptional response” to handling customer complaints. When asked if they were testing for melamine and cyanuric acid after the manufacture of their products, Iams said that they were “constantly improving their quality control processes.”

This information requires verification and we are asking for your help.

If you find an unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If it’s the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

If an unopened bag is found and tested, we will release the results as soon as they become available regardless of the outcome.

451 Responses to “EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 » Show All

1. J.T. says:

“Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.”

I haven’t read all the current 300 posts yet, but I promise Itchmo and all posters that tomorrow I will be on a witch hunt to all the pet food stores in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) to find the specific “unopened” bag of IAMS. I don’t care if the bags in question are located in the Denver area! That doesn’t mean it didn’t reach my area. I am determined to help those pet parents that fed IAMS to their pets only to find them get sick on it.

IAMS are “fully confident” that no cyanuric acid or melamine entered their products????, yeah right, we’ll see how true that is. I for one, don’t believe any commercial pet food company anymore! They’re just covering their asses and their profit lines.

I’ll keep y’alls posted . . . J.T.

2. AnnaS says:

I bought several books and started making homemade dog food for our 3 dogs in April even tho the brands we fed were not affected, YET. . Huge change, for the better. I even ate it a few times! I was going to do it temporary until all this recall stuff got straightened out. Well that could be a long time…….My Mother always said if you want something done right do it yourself!! Thanks for all the hard work you’re doing for all of us and our ‘kids’. Bless you

3. cheetah-dog says:

YA YA:

I was one of those people who poo-pooed all of the people who stated that the dog food they used made their coats shiny and healthy. I could not believe it because my dog was on Prescription Diet WD, ZD, and Kirkland Dry Brands (Not Nutra-nuggets) and had a dull shedding coat all year round. Wow, I am finishing the first large bag of KUMPI and she has the best coat ever. No dandruff, dryness, dullnes. IT SHINES! And no stomach grumbling and no huge stools like she had with the WD diet which is loaded with peanut hulls!

Have been looking back on some of the stories, in light of the report today re: the cyanuric acid. We’ve been so hung up on the addition of (just) melamine alone to falsely boost protein levels. Take a look once more at exerpts from the New York Times story of May 9, 2007:

Another Chemical Emerges in Pet Food Case

“Three chemical makers said Chinese animal feed producers often came to purchase cyanuric acid to blend into their feed because it was cheaper and helped increase protein content.

“In China, chemical producers say it is common knowledge in the chemical and agriculture industry that for years feed producers in China have quietly and secretly used cyanuric acid to cheat buyers of animal feed.

““Cyanuric acid scrap can be added to animal feed,” said Yu Luwei, general manager of the Juancheng Ouya Chemical Company in Shandong Province. “I sell it to fish meal manufacturers and fish farmers. It can also be added to feed for other animals.”

“Yang Fei, who works in the sales department of the Shouguang Weidong Chemical Company in Shandong Province, echoed that view: “I’ve heard that people add cyanuric acid and melamine to animal feed to boost the protein level.

“Two of the Chinese chemical makers say that cyanuric acid is used because it is even cheaper than melamine and high in nitrogen, enabling feed producers to artificially increase protein readings which are often measured by nitrogen levels of the feed. The chemical makers say they also produce a chemical which is a combination of melamine and cyanuric acid, and that feed producers have often sought to purchase scrap material from this product.

““The substance is nontoxic — it’s legal to add it to animal feed,” Mr. Yu at Juancheng Ouya Chemical said of cyanuric acid. “The practice has been around for many years. I often sell it to animal feed makers.””

And now this from Wikipedia & FDA:

“FDA permits a certain amount of cyanuric acid to be present in some non-protein nitrogen (NPN) additives used in animal feed and drinking water. Cyanuric acid has been used as NPN. For example, Archer Daniels Midland manufactures a NPN supplement for cattle, which contains biuret, triuret, cyanuric acid and urea.”

“PART 573 — FOOD ADDITIVES PERMITTED IN FEED AND DRINKING WATER OF ANIMALS

“Subpart B–Food Additive Listing Sec. 573.220 Feed-grade biuret.

“Cyanuric acid and triuret……………. 30 maximum. Percent

“The food additive feed grade biuret may be safely used in ruminant feed in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:

“(b) It is used in ruminant feeds as a source of nonprotein nitrogen.”

It is permitted–but only for cattle feed.

Feed supplement Roughage Buster Plus from Archer Daniels Midland, cited in Wikipedia above.

Thought here is that some added melamine alone and some added cyanuric acid alone to fake the protein testing. Others added both melamine and cyanuric acid to artificially boost it–and it’s the contaminated material with both in them that is the most dangerous “mix”.

While melamine or cyanuric acid may have been secretly added from China for many years, there were not enough problems with the foods to trigger many suspicions. But when the practice of cooking up both melamine and cyanuric acid to cheat on protein content went into high gear, this is when the crisis began here.

5. Lola says:

Thanks, Itchmo, for not backing down. Can’t believe that a big ol’ conglomerate put the squeeze [however indirectly] on you and the testing lab for posting the image of a report. That’s some meeeeean muscle boys.

I don’t own a dog and no longer feed my felines Iams, but geez, it burns me that they’re more interested in protecting their image than protecting pets.

Pet companies–if you take care of our pets, you don’t need to worry about your image!!! Just shut up and test the damned food!! How hard is that to figure out??!

I’m going to look at other products sold by P&G–they’ll be losing some of my business. GRRR!!

6. cheetah-dog says:

The Tawainese government is warning their people not to use Sensodyne from the US for more than 4 months! This is what I use!

7. Sandy says:

CA NATURAL to the person that asked about it..I have fed it to my dogs since 1998 that and Innova….same company..I moved a dog to Evo and he was fine but allergic to chicken and turkey..so he is on CA NAT lamb and rice…you can BET I CALLED AND EMAILED with the company a LOT …I trust them….see their site..you MAY ??? have switched the foods too fast for your dogs

I now feed my cats KumpiKat…..I have old cats one with bad teeth and when I say old I mean on the high side of 17 years old….one with CRF one borderline…(NOT FROM THESE FOODS BUT THE RECALLED ONES )..I had had them on Hills KD and many moist foods the moist foods got mine…the KD I just suspect …I do feed the moist EVO (protein is better than poisens for kidney pts) CA Natural canned and also Innova canned ……I do now and then feed the CA NAT dry to my cats….I wont feed any RX diet now…not with Hills one food dry being pulled a while back…I agree with someone else VETS PIMP the rx diets…I really only trust the makers of CA NATURAL AND KUMPIkAT ..I got screwed by Natural Balance and I do NOT nor ever will trust WELLNESS after WEEKS of the run around by them…..BY PHONE AND EMAIL

I will join the boycott on PG and I avoid ALL foods by ANY of the companies that have had recalls

8. Sandy says:

itchmo…..did anyone nail that bag of food for you…lol you dont want 100 bags sent :-) Let us know…if not I can check Petco and my supermarket tomorrow…

9. Kathy says:

I haven’t even read all the posts yet but here goes–you can find Kumpi at Kumpi.com.

SLS- Sodium Laurel Sulfate is actually another toxic ingredient in toothpaste that should not be swallowedby anyone, and it’s in most.

Looked at Alamosa CO Safeway and City Market for the Iams–none there. Will look some more in the morning when the feed store opens.

10. J.T. says:

Sandy,

You’re so right, LOL :-) . . . itchmo doesn’t want 100 bags sent! I’ll cancel my witch hunt tomorrow afterall. Hopefully you’ll find something at Petco and your supermarket tomorrow. Thanks for that . . . it’ll save me a lot of gas, LOL . . .

ITCHMO ADMIN: We’re only looking for a couple of bags. One to be sent to an independent lab and another to be held unopened for future testing. If you find a bag that matches EXACTLY, we ask that you do NOT open it and contact us via email ASAP. We have very specific instructions to follow in order to preserve the integrity of the evidence and all involved.

11. mittens says:

does anyone recall in the 80s there were these bizarre rumours that P&G was controlled by satanists because they had the moon and stars logo? i remember thinking- how ridiculous- people will believe any sort of rubbish.

WELL.

i stand corrected. may i be the first to state: “who is it we’re dealing with here? could it be…oh…i dunno…SATAN!?”

i’d check on your kids if you live near any of their plants because after they kill all our pets they’ll probably start in on the sacrafice of christian babies…not like them to let morals or the law or anything stand in their way.

cats can also be poisoned by the sweetner xylitol which is often found in even the ‘organic’ feel goody toothpastes.dogs too.

12. DMS says:

I posted this under another article, but here it goes again. To those of you who have cited skin infections in dogs that ate the contaminated food, is that a stubborn staph infection? Have you noticed a strange odor to the dogs?

13. ItchmoRocks says:

Wow, what a crock that IAMS is the big bad bully. They don’t think that acting all “confident” does NOT mean that you use scare tactics? duh

I am glad to see the lists of P&G products I wasn’t aware of. Thanks to all who posted those. Boycott man, like crazy. This is major vote with your wallet time.

Anyone know if the hunt is still on for the food? Makes you wonder if IAMS magically did a lot of restocking today. Sure hope not.

Back to what will help too - and that is contact your senators and representatives and urge them to get the food safety bill MOVING. It’s just been sitting and left to die. Let’s use some of this energy and get our elected officials to realize we expect them to get their jobs done and listen to us. Call them, write them.

Itchmo Mon, you rock for all of this work. You put it out there for us and all of us and a gazillion angels will cover your butt. Hang tough cuz this window of opportunity is too awesome. FINALLY some answers and some justice. Good going guy. We’re all with ya.

14. Deb says:

Mittens…..I remember the P&G rumors……wide spread and there was no net at the time!!!! I kind of remember full page newspaper ads taken out and spots on TV in defense. There may have been truth to those rumors.

We have to hit P&G where it would really hurt…..we have to stop using Tide…….that’s the number one product for P&G.

15. Katie says:

Thank you Itchmo for not backing down to P&G. I feel that the strong arming they have done to the independent lab is totally uncalled for. It is going to make it tougher for the rest of us to have our samples checked if corporations are going to strong arm the labs.

Opened bags…. why would I send an unopened bag. I have to open it, feed it and than if my dog is sick from it, have it checked or discard it. Why would I send an unopened bag??? Why would I suspect an unopened bag of being contaminated.

Most of us were feeding foods prior to the March 17th recall, some noticed problems in Feb. that food either is no longer available, discarded, or bags were opened and emptied or maybe even removed from store shelves. I’m sure the pet companies know this.

I’m thinking now, Blue Buffalo and a few others at least took the heat -

Katie(the other Katie)

16. Sandy says:

JT lol don’t stop looking but we have to find a way for all of us not to buy a bag-o-crap …lmao ….Also I HATE to think of Iams making mo’ money also…..so lets both check the site in the AM and see if anyone got it of not…we can look..I guess we can take it back…ITCHMO ROCKS I would be lost without this site

17. Sandy says:

American born and bred June Bugs..ugh my dog just ate one…for all we know these suckers may be acked with safe protein….and we are due for those cicades ughh….like locus deals……that some veggies and egg shell could make a good home grown adult dog diet :-)

18. DMS says:

menusux, re: biuret and cyanuric acid
    I saw that before and didn’t know what to make of it. I wrote a letter to S. Dodson of R-Calfusa.com asking him or her to explain. I also thanked him or her for writing to the senate on behalf of COOL. Hopefully, he or she can explain. It appears it is digested in the rumen and builds proteins. I’m not sure how long cyanuric acid has been used, but urea has been for quite a while. The things they think of to feed-i was going to animals–but it is all of us now. Here are two additional links I found:

Archer Daniel Midland on Biuret

Look who uses the most non protein nitrogen in the world

Doesn’t look like you will be able to click on them, although they did work on my spreadsheet. I am kind of new to blogging–this crisis has spurred me to action! Hopefully, you can type them in. I will see if that works as well and try to do better if it doesn’t.

19. J.T. says:

Sandy Says:
    May 25th, 2007 at 1:09 am

Buying a 100 bags-o-crap from Iams will not even put a dent in their revenue nor their profit line . . . however, exposing them for selling “cyanuric acid” laced pet food to all the trusting pet owners and killing their pets will really make them HURT! NO????

What do you think?

20. Sandy says:

Made in the USA link above somewhere…I looked at it and it has menu foods…Iams and so many….made in is not the same as PRODUCT of the USA which would mean all the stuff in it is made and of the USA

21. Sandy says:

No doubt I agree with you JT but some on here…me included have limited income and would be willing to buy and mail a bag…but if it was not used by Itchmo cause he has lol I can’t stop loling 98 other bags….it would kinda suck…but we can return them if we keep the receipts…

22. kellie says:

did anyone see my post about walmart offering free samples of 2 new types of IAMS dog and cat foods?

All natural.

heres a way for ppl to get samples for free and have em tested and hit walmart and Iams hard in the same slap.

the samples were up yesterday at walmart.com under the in stores now tab/free samples.

today it was gone but they do that alot, rotate the free samples it will prolly be back up in the coming days.

23. Kathy says:

Oh, I have at least one Avon product here that is made in China, check your labels.

24. Sandy says:

I will be going to Walmart this weekend for bottled water… I will see if I can score some samples but I can’t afford testing…

25. Lynn says:

I’m just now catching up on this blog. I’ve a few responses/comments, so bear me if I lump them together. Also, I’ll be the first to admit I sound a little pompous here - I don’t mean to be. and I apologize in advance. It’s been a really, really long week for me.

TO: mikee Says: May 24th, 2007 at 3:41 pm He quoted an article that said, “……Natura Pet Products has announced that, effective immediately, a new protocol will be added to its standard 120-point quality control program that will test for cyanuric acid.”

Like the consumer is really going to have faith in your testing. However, if you had a highly reputable and state-of-the-art third party lab do the testing and THEY published the report on the internet…….

TO:4lgdfriend Says: May 24th, 2007 at 3:24 pm “FDA RELEASE THE IDENITIFED 5TH TOXIN TO THE PUBLIC NOW”

FDA: exactly what have you got to lose by publishing this information? Manufacturers will throw you out of bed or something?

TO: straybaby Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:18 pm in a post to me: “Lynn, I asked this question over in the forums under Misc. I’m trying to figure out the same thing. I need to shower and play with my dog, but i will be writing a couple of the companies that developed the strips and other test devices and see if we can’t come up with a home test.”

Please, Straybaby, let’s do what we can on this. I’d really like to never buy commercial food again, but the reality is that some people are going to buy it. Some of the people on this blog know that I am having tested at two labs dry kibble from two unopened bags of my friend’s dogs’ favorite pet food. Of course now we have this new fiasco come up so now my tests are delayed, etc., etc. I’ve talked with two labs about reduced testing prices for consumers and one of them is looking into it. Two labs [that I know of] are approaching the manufacturers and offering services. Independent third party analysis, paid for by the consumer. Might be feasible…….until such time as a manufacturer dangles a huge contract in front of the lab with a contingency that the lab never test consumer samples due to “conflict of interest.” [Big sigh.] But maybe there are other possibilities out there. We need to keep looking. We’re overdue for a change in luck, don’t you think?

TO: Ruth Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:32 pm “IAM’s keeps saying that their dry dog food is not affected because it isn’t made at the Menu Plant like their wet food. They have said it’s made at their plant.”

Yes, and I’ve got green antennae growing out of my skull.

TO: Amy Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:31 pm “So, say you feed your pet the dry with cyanuric acid and a wet with melamine - tests show those two combined create LARGE crystals in urine/kidneys.”

Hey, Amy, where did you read that? Is it quantified? If you have the link would you post it or email it to me? Thanks.

TO: Ann Jackson Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:33 pm “My dog, Freedom, trembles almost constantly and has since she ate the toxic pet food…… Most of the trembling happens in her back legs.

Ann, I struggled on whether or not to respond, but better I should. Know that I am not a veterinarian and that you should seek professional treatment/diagnosis. Trembling is a reaction to a number of different causal factors. Many have already been mentioned on this site. There are a few more possibilities. Just POSSIBILITIES, Ann. Please don’t assume that Freedom has trembling because of what I am about to list. Just be aware and file it in the back of your brain.
    1. Weak legs, hindquarters, particularly when an overweight pet is standing.
    2. Circulatory problems, specifically when the heart is not pumping sufficiently. The far extremities are generally the first to be oxygen deprived [as a result of the weak pumping of blood carrying oxygen throughout the body].
    3. Neurological problems
    4. Lumbar degeneration or other problems [Ever had a slipped disc?]
    5. Reaction to pet parent’s anxiety. [Don’t anyone tell me they are not intuitive and sensitive to your feelings.]
    6. Check out Dr. Mike Richard’s site. He had a Q&A forum for a long time but no longer answers questions - he was great. He did, however, keep his website up and running so that all the questions he answered through the years would be there for reference to pet parents everywhere. Now there is an angel of a man. He has an index for dogs and one for cats. In this case, under the dog index, I selected “T” and found references for trembling and tremors. You can read the old Q&A’s under these links: http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dmotion.html and http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtremor.html

TO: Suzi Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:48 pm regarding IAMS’ response, which read, “I wish I could be more helpful, but supplier information is proprietary and not shared outside the company.”

No nice way to respond except to say, “Oh, crap.” Pulling the proprietary card doesn’t cut it, IAMS. Haven’t you figured out that we bloggers are resourceful and will figure it out? Costco was famous for saying that about their Kirkland pet food when I hounded them to get it off the shelves. Doesn’t instill confidence, Suzi? Not by a longshot. In fact, I find it anti-positive. It’s all smokescreen. All of it.

TO: Compcat Says: May 24th, 2007 at 4:53 pm who responded to my earlier query about whether or not you could use a swimming pool cyanuric acid test kit to test pet food.

Compcat, thanks so much for the explanation. I really appreciated it, even if the answer was not what I had hoped to hear. Also, you asked about more pages to the AccuTrace lab report. Yes, there are more pages, but never published on a website. My guess would be that if the lab has found another toxin that no one’s mentioned yet, that the lab will be industrious and update their order forms to include the availability of testing for that toxin. Just a guess.

TO: Sandi K Says: May 24th, 2007 at 5:18 pm You brought out a valid point - that animal shelters sure as heck aren’t stirring food up in a pot on the stove.

Will they bother to test food if some cheap method was available to them? My gut reaction is, probably not. Show me an animal shelter with money to burn.

Someone [SandiK?] posted that the FDA “sent a letter to pet food companies saying they are allowed to police themselves and are ”expected” to ensure their food is safe.”

There’s a snowball’s chance in hell of that happening.

TO: Moony Says: May 24th, 2007 at 6:02 pm “If a company has something manufactured in their own plants in another country, does shipping it here even count as an ‘import’?”

Good question. I’m not an attorney but my guess would be that if the American plant in China is set up as a Chinese corporation then it’s considered a Chinese product - an import to the US. But we all know that the manufacturers will find a way to make it an American product in order to benefit. My, they are resourceful, aren’t they? Anyone friends with an international trade attorney who can answer this one?

TO: wtopnews.com’s title “U.S. Asks China to Monitor Exports” -

Don’t you just LOVE the word “ask”? So FDA’ish. Those wimpy, wimpy passive aggressive verbs. Ugh! Who’s running the show here?

TO:slt Says: May 24th, 2007 at 7:22 pm “Couldn’t you post the report but blur the lab’s info so they are not named - would that satisfy the sharks at Iams? Censorship!”

A wild guess: not pulling the report off the website could put the lab and Itchmo in the middle of a nasty lawsuit. Sad part is that he with the best paid attorney will win.

TO:Steve Says: May 24th, 2007 at 7:29 pm “On May 24, 2007, a United States federal court issued an order that, for the time being, prevents Menu Foods from having direct contact with individual U.S. pet owners.”

I left a message for my cousin, an attorney, to call me and answer that one. Must admit, Steve, it sure does sound like Duane-o speaking.

Amy Says: May 24th, 2007 at 7:35 pm “Maybe that’s China’s master plan? Kill our pets, we drink when we grieve, we all get cirrhosis of the liver and die. They take over our country.”

Makes sense to me.

TO:Lorie Says: May 24th, 2007 at 7:45 pm “……a girlfriend of mine a week or 2 ago she said I was to dramatic go through what she said a pet dying, told me I needed to get a life.”

Make new friends, Lorie. Either toss this one aside or make it a tentative relationship with strong boundaries. Just know you’ve got friends and support here.

ally Says: May 24th, 2007 at 8:16 pm “If anyone has a screen grab of that report please send it with a link to Itchmo’s blog entry and note to these journalists: David Barboza - NY Times, Abigail Goldman - LA Times, Karen Roebuck - Pittsburgh Tribune”

I couldn’t find Barboza’s phone or email address in my notes, but I did sent the file copy I made from Itchmo’s site and emailed it to the others earlier today. You’re right, they, and our USA Today friends, Elizabeth Weise and Julie Schmit, have done one helluva job for pets. And so many others out there. You know who you are.

TO:Donna Says: May 24th, 2007 at 9:07 pm “……. I have personally dealt with AccuTrace and they have been very, very helpful.”

I currently have a sample at AccuTrace and another sample at another lab. Teri at AccuTrace has been absolutely wonderful to me in spite of my many phone calls and emails. I guess it comes from being a pet lover herself.

TO:Steve Says: May 24th, 2007 at 9:15 pm “Whats next in this most favored nation trading game. China will say Iowa added melamine to their soybean shipments?”

Yo, Steve! LOL Don’t even go there.

TO:Lorie Says: May 24th, 2007 at 9:30 pm re sending in unopened pet food to [a lab?] - will it fly?

Again, I am not an attorney but there is a form that most labs use - “Chain of Custody” - which documents who gave what to whom and on what date. I sent one of my test speciments to Expert Chemical Analysis in La Jolla. In fact, I drove it to their lab. That form was one of the first things I signed. It’s a form apparently common to the industry, used to document the path of evidence or test sample. My guess is that you’re covered. Just sign it first and date it. Get the lab to sign it and date it and they will keep the process moving. Check with an attorney, though, to get legal advice, especially if you’re thinking of joining a class action suit or filing an action on your own. An attorney may have already made arrangements with a lab to get his class action clients’ samples tested. If you are going to make a claim against the manufacturer directly, without an attorney, then I should think the fact that you have the can the food came in should be proof enough - res ipsa loquitor. Check me out on this.

If you go to Expert Chemical Analysis lab’s website at http://www.ecalab.com/images/FRM18-803.pdf you can download their blank “Chain of Custody” form to see what it contains. BTW, I sent you an email today, Lorie, with info about what I learned regarding sending in samples to labs.
    Incidentally, if anyone is considering testing, I am happy to share information, Just send me a PM from the Itchmoforum site. I’m in a few places under “Lynn.” Just bear with me on Friday - I’ve got meetings in the morning.

Other comments:
    • Am contacting a local Sr Citizens club Friday that’s very active and always looking for new things to do, especially if it means they can contribute in some way to a worthy cause. Gonna encourage them to go on an IAMS scavenger hunt. Call your local senior center or club.
    • Maybe, just maybe, if enough people are interested in sending pet food to a lab for testing, we can work out a price break. I don’t know what their real cost is, so I have no idea what kind of discount can be worked out, if any.

And finally, because I am sure you’re sick of reading my ramblings:

TO:anna_2007 Says: May 24th, 2007 at 6:53 pm “I vote for a new word: ITCHMOSIS - the process of outing the most disgraceful crimes against pets and humans … Alternative usage: “I’m gonna Itchmo you crooks!”.

I’ve got an alternate suggestion, since “Itchmosis” infers a negative condition or disease. How about “Itchmology” [because this whole experience on his website has indeed been a study] or, my personal favorite, “Itchmogenesis” [to tell the world that Itchmo made it possible for a mega-huge population of pet parents to band together and share resources]. We could put it on t-shirts, sell them at a decent profit, and donate the money back to Itchmo, who has done so much for all of us.

It’s a powerful and humbling feeling to know that someone cares that much about animals to make huge sacrifices in order to keep up this blog. I say this with the deepest respect and admiration for everyone on the Itchmo web team AND for all the bloggers who’ve educated me. You’ve all made me so aware. You humble me.

Thanks for reading.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

26. Sandy says:

Ugh my hubby is gonna kill me more. I just sent the PG list for us to boycott…to print where he works……He is so sick of the petfood stuff and me avoiding things…gas to return foods..

27. High Note says:

Main toothpaste manufacturers in America
    Church & Dwight
    make Aim, Arm & Hammer, Close up, Mentadent, Pepsodent
    GlaxoSmithKline
    make Aquafresh- Aquafresh-UK
    Colgate Palmolive (Multinations Croporation)
    makes Colgate and also bought out Tom’s of Maine, and also there is a China plant that makes Colgate toothpaste called Yushan Industrial co. in Guangzhou, China
    Procter & Gamble
    Crest
    GABA International AG- European Manufacturer
    makes ELMEX Anticaries
    There are other toothpastes but that is all I could find so far.
    There is also a Pet toothpaste manufacturer in China called Cutepet INC.
    and they make Pet Select Pet dental care kit with toothpaste and a gum brush
    China has several businesses that supply calcium carbonate which is used in toothpaste.
    China has also became the worlds leading supplier of many food flavorings, vitamins, preservatives. In the year 2006 China has $25 billion food ingredients supplied to the US and the world. They are the prominant maker of Vanilla flavoring, citric acid, varities of vitamin B such as thiamine, riboflavin, Folic acid and they are one of the largest supplier of vitamin C.
    You can go down any isle of your local store and find products that have ingredients made in China.
    I WANT TO POINT THIS OUT TO EVERYONE THAT EVEN IF THEY SAY WHO THE MANUFACTURER IS ON THE LABEL AND EVEN IF IT SAYS MADE IN USA. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE INGREDIENTS ARE ALL MADE IN THE USA. IT ONLY MEANS THE PRODUCT IS MADE HERE. IF IT SAYS DISTRIBUTED BY THIS MEANS THAT THE COMPANY ONLY PUTS IT ON THE MARKET. THEY DO NOT MAKE IT!
    THE ONLY WAY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS IS TO HAVE THE MANUFACTURER SAY ON THE LABEL THAT ALL PRODUCTS COME FROM THE USA.
    Let me also point out that all of these manufacturers in the USA are having trouble finding the preservatives, etc. for their products because there are very few companies that are in the business of making them here so they have no choice then to go to other countries or they are out of business.
    Where do you think companies like Tyson and Mission get their preservatives and riboflavin and thiamine, etc. from China! Tyson and mission do not want to buy from them any more and are looking for other ways. They will have a hard time trying to find a supplier too.
    I am personally on the kraft panel for surveying and I got to speak to one of the spokes ladies and she got in touch with kraft and they said that they do not buy their milk protein from China but they purchase it from Mexico and New Zealand, just in case any of you have heard the rumor about their milk protein in our cheese, etc.
    I do not know about all of the things they put into their products and I only ask about the rice protein because I read it in one of the blogs and was upset when I read it.
    I also got on a sight that said for instance our hostess twinkies have over 12 ingredients that probably come from China. So you see so many of our products have certain additives that they need in them and China is the main producer of these.

28. Lynn says:

To Sandy Says: May 25th, 2007 at 1:53 am

Oh, Sandy, don’t you know that women have such power to convince husbands to change their attitudes. Think about it. Age old ploy. LOL

29. Leon says:

Hi !

My dog is eating now Eukanuba Large Breed. It is the same stuff as Iams Large breed ? Thank you.

30. Sandi K says:

Genny Says:

May 24th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Thanks Genny for your kind words, I truly think its only pet people like all of us here that understand how hard it is to lose a pet. I dont even like calling our girl a “pet”. She really was a soul mate to me. I will never be able to explain the bond we had, and Im afraid I will never have that again. Our girl died on March 11th and I can still see her going thru the awful seizures, one so bad that I had to leave the room as I couldnt watch and I will always feel guilty about that (my husband stayed with her). And I am not a person that is normally unable to deal with medical problems. It was awful! Tonight is extra hard and I think this Iams thing is bringing it all out again on what we went thru with Nutro. I am in tears but seeing posts like yours and others here who arent giving up really help me feel better, Im am doing what I can do, writing letters, calling Senators, etc but there are times when I just cant do anymore for the day and knowing you guys here are helping really gives me a sense of protection and security. Thank you to everyone for helping, it means alot to folks like us who lost their pets. Our girl took one big last breath and died in my arms while we were sitting in front of the vet clinic waiting for the Dr to show up. She had gone into a coma after the seizures but was still holding on for as long as she could. Please dont let this happen to anyone else’s pet. Please.

31. Sandy says:

LMAO Lynn…I just emailed it to him I thought it was 26 pages long but it is only one…Thanks God I would be so worn out of you get my drift :-)

32. Sandy says:

Lyon I would check what is in it to the the other product….to be honest I would not feed any pet their crap……ever …..

33. Lisa says:

This is what I truly think we all should do as responsible pet owners. I have been following this tragedy from the very beginning. STOP BUYING COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD! Just make your own. I have 16 dogs. It’s really not that difficult if you have the correct information. I am using Dr. Pitcairn’s book. A geiser of information in there.

If I can do it, anyone can. As I stated, I have 16 dogs to feed. I don’t even buy dog biscuits anymore. It’s all poison, as far as I am concerned.

34. Genny says:

Sandi,

You’re very welcome. We all feel each other’s pain here and are bonded in that way. I remember that one big last breath. It was exactly like my Mother’s last. Both of their last two weeks were so paralleled in many ways. It was a tough experience but nothing that compares to these senseless, traumatic deaths by poison. We can only hope that they will not die in vain and things will change.

On a lighter note: “”I would be so worn out of you get my drift :-)” LOL. 26 pages??!?? Yikes!! Just the thought makes my jaws…..oh, Nevermind!

35. Sandy says:

Lisa the thing is if you are using chicken….fish….or pork for your homemade foods…its crap too because its full of melamine…Also I bet beef has it too but the beef lobby has mega bucks…OUR food isnt safe so there isnt any way to feed them safely..I would have to own my own sheep farm and feed them grass from my lawn only as I do not use chemicals…..sadly not much is safe

36. Itchmo Looking for Verification on Cyanuric Acid in Unrecalled Iams Large Breed Dry Dog Food says:

[…] to DaLy, Hope’s firmom, for barking in this report from the Itchmo Blog. EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry […]

37. Sandy says:

lmfao Genny on the umm jaw and nether regions

Hey I lost 2 cats last year…held them both at…that moment….I know the pain all too well…..and know I have 2 more to go…..

38. Genny says:

Sandy,

It’s a ‘girl’ thing, eh? *wink*

Mine had to be put down. Some friends volunteered to go for me or with me but I graciously declined. Held him in my arms till the end and wouldn’t have had it any other way. Even though I had another cat, I had such a big, empty hole in my heart that five days later I adopted a kitty from a friend who had a couple of stray mothers with litters. It wasn’t a replacement but it really helped take the edge of the hurt.

39. Ruth says:

To Sandi K: I also lost my little pet dog on March 11. Nothing could save her either. And like you she died in my husbands arms only because I stepped out of the room for a minute to change clothes.
    I also feel that she was my pet soul mate. My daughter and I kid each other because her pet is that to her. They are so much alike. You are the first person say that about their pet. I thought people would think we were crazy for saying that. LOL…

Marley completed my world. She was 6yrs old. Chi/terrier mix. Rescued puppy. She had her own unique and quirky personality unlike any other pet that I have had over the years. She was my special pokey little puppy. That snorted and snored. (She had been abused and choked with a her collar and it made her snort when she got excited.)

I wish IAM’s would be completey honest with pet owners. Then I would get some closure.

The look Marley gave me,pleading with her eyes will haunt me forever. Everything I did for her was not enough. I will forever miss my beloved little puppy.

40. Itchmo » Blog Archive » Recall Update: Friday says:

[…] Exclusive: Lab report says cyanuric acid found in unrecalled dry food. […]

41. sandi says:

Iams Large Breed Dog Food, my question is. Why is Itchmo. com looking to test the food?? Is Iams attempting to hide this ?

Sandi

42. Genny says:

Sandi,

I think they want an UNopened bag to verify the lab’s report and probably to circumvent any cop out excuses.

From Itchmo - at begining of this blog:

“”We cannot stress this point enough: This test was performed on a sample from an opened bag. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after the sale, or if it is widespread.”"

43. Kiki says:

It’s clear to me too. I HAVE stopped buying and feeding all national brand commercial pet foods - only REAL food for my dogs. Anything and everything I feed is, will, or has been thoroughly scrutinized. I no longer buy regular produce - only local organic (no organic from China stuff). I WILL now stop purchasing ANY products from P&G, C&P, DelMonte - ANY of the big nulti-national companies and will just buy local, organic, small.

Will it be more inconvenient, and perhaps in the short-term, more expensive? Probably.

Will I start to become more in-tuned with how I live and will I realize that what I consume does in fact affect the world at large in ways I never realized until recently: animal testing (I thought that was banned years ago), inhumane practices (read about corporate farming), pollution and destruction of our environment, raping and pillaging our precious resources, poor quality products (even poison), exploitation of workers, destruction of American jobs, poor quality (even poison), yes I said it again.

Will I become less wasteful, less consumptive, and more grateful for what I do have? I hope so.

As Americans, we owe it to our country to support our country and our people, not support the few corporations that are making billions off the complete and adulterated exploitation of outsourcing to developing countries and all the other crap that is going on with oil economics. The more independent we can become, the better. We make a difference with our vote and with our dollars. Since 9/11 and Katrina, I realized our government is nothing - just a huge bureaucratic, self-seving entity, that gives NOT a crap about the citizen’s it is meant to protect and serve. The will of the American people must trump all. America must come first. Why try to democratize a country that may not be ready to democratize and spend billions in lives and money, while in our country, there are people who are suffering?? It’s crazy. Rather than tell others what to do or how to live, how to act, why don’t we become a model country ourselves? We have so much work to do in cleaning up our own act in so many ways, why focus on the problems of other countries?

If each of us, as individuals, does our small part - even independent of what ANYone else does, we will be making a positive impact in that WE won’t be contributing directly to the horrific nature of contemporary commerce that we have been subjected to. If we take care of ourselves and our families through each and every mundane decision (from toothpaste to gas) and we finally CONTROL our own best resource - our purchasing dollars, we will be contributing to a better way for ourselves AND others and NOT contributing to the pain, suffering, and exploitation of others and our own environment.

If we take it further and decide to share and become a positve force through activism and activism activities, then even better. Itchmo has been a most wonderful resource for bringing like-minded folks together - we are much stronger as a collective voice than we would be as a single individual. Perhaps Americans are finally starting to wake up and develop some social consiousness - what we do and how we live DOES make a difference - good or bad. We have a responsibility and we should not shirk it. Too bad it took the deaths of so many of our pets to finally wake-up.

God bless our furkids…

44. OpinionBug.com » Website Says Cyanuric Acid Found In Unrecalled Dry Pet Food says:

[…] (Full Story) […]

45. l douglas says:

we lost our boxer in february. she and the other dogs were eating a nutra max brand (lamb and rice). the other dogs were nauseous now and then and we couldn’t figure out why, then she developed a fever and what sounded like a stuffy nose. within a day and a half she was dead. all this was before the reports of contamination came out.

i know what you mean about russian roulette. since the incident i’ve been buying whole foods brand and wellness brand dry dog foods for the other dogs and they seem to be doing fine. it’s now more pricey than the other high end foods we thought were safe

please keep doing what your doing and shine a light on what’s been in the darkness for way too long. we love the members of our furry family and we don’t want anything else horrific to happen to them.

46. l douglas says:

oops……….typo………

it was nutra max natural lamb and rice

and …….’it’s NO more pricey than the other high end brands’………

47. LorieVA says:

Kim

Double posting to make sure you see this:

this is for your IAMS spreadsheet not sure if you saw post from way back that my 2 cats last spring had issuse with IAMS hairball formula and indoor wt control they ate the two mixed together,

Geisha had bloody runny stool and develop a UTI with perm crystal problem vet said she at some bacteria, she is an indoor cat of a very parinoid cat owner MOI who makes everyone remove shoes, no plants etc……..

Topaz would vomit yellow bile and then foamy stuff in about 20 piles at a time all over the house upstairs in down, vet said she had sensitive stomach issues from turning seven

Switched food to Eukanuba sensitive stomach for Topaz no more vomiting till new problems with FF this past March

Switched Geisha to Science Diet RX C/D no more problems till FF this past March

48. justjeneric says:

Question - how do we safely dispose of foods we want to trash? I don’t even want the rats at the landfill to suffer from this crap. I have 65 pounds of Timberwolf to get rid of - any suggestions - besides feeding it to the company owners?

49. catmom5 says:

I, too, try to avoid buying anything PG, CP, etc when I discovered the awful animal testing they do . . . I have found home products (laundry soap, window cleaner, etc) from method and they are natural, American and do not test on animals. I can only get them at Target, but you can check them out online at methodhome.com. They are a bit pricey, but worth it!

I’m hitting a lot of the farmers market this summer, too!

I also am using Cal Natural dry for my cats, one of them suffered ARF in November. Haven’t had any problems at all. Natura is checking all of their ingredients and foods, and having it tested by an independent lab. They are one of the few companies I’m willing to use . . .

Finally, thanks to Itchmo and all of you terrific folks for standing together to do the right thing by our furkids.

(I hate Tequila . . . anybody want to join me in a Kahlua and cream?)

catmom5

50. Carol says:

Trying to get away from all this madness I decided to go out this am and open up my small pool only to find my melamine dishes in my storage box and cyranuric acid “testing” in my 5-way test kit……

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 » Show All