EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food

UPDATE: The company that tested the food requested that we remove the image of the report from this post after being contacted by Proctor & Gamble, the parent company of Iams.

UPDATE 2: We received a call from an Iams spokesman. We have updated the story with their response.

UPDATE 3: We believe the bags in question are located in the Denver area.

ORIGINAL POST: Itchmo has learned that a toxicology test reported the presence of cyanuric acid in an opened bag of what is alleged to be Iams Large Breed dry dog food.

According to the report obtained by Itchmo, the results have been certified by a forensic toxicologist. We have obtained a copy of the toxicology report. Iams Large Breed does not list rice protein concentrate or wheat gluten as ingredients.

In response, Iams says they are “fully confident” that no cyanuric acid or melamine entered their products. They also defended their “exceptional response” to handling customer complaints. When asked if they were testing for melamine and cyanuric acid after the manufacture of their products, Iams said that they were “constantly improving their quality control processes.”

We cannot stress this point enough: This test was performed on a sample from an opened bag. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after the sale, or if it is widespread.

This information requires verification and we are asking for your help.

Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.

If you find an unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If it’s the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

If an unopened bag is found and tested, we will release the results as soon as they become available regardless of the outcome.

451 Responses to “EXCLUSIVE: Lab Reports Cyanuric Acid In Unrecalled Dry Food”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 » Show All

1. JanC says:

YaYa…….I’m off to get more limes as this is recall Fri……I’m sure we’ll be needing them for the late recalls today.

catmom5…….I was on Kahlua & melamilk a week or so ago but most everyone is on the tequila shooters……I’m easy……I’ll drink Kahlua with you & tequila with Kim & the others. Oh what a melahangover I’ll have tom’w.

All this news is just insanity. I’m not sure anything is safe these days & it scares me. I worry about my dog’s health.

2. Amy says:

Catmom5 - I just switched to Method after the Tide and Downy I had used my entire life (mom used it when I was a kid, too) started making my skin itch and break out. Switched detergents and now no more itchy skin problem and I feel better about their commitment to the environment and being American made. And the Method just smells so good and you don’t need to use nearly as much as Tide.

3. Kiki says:

where do you get method detergent? where is it from and has it got safe ingredients?

4. Amy says:

Hey Lynn - here’s the info on the testing where they combined melamine and cyanuric acid at the PH level of a pet’s kidney and found that it makes great big nasty ass killer crystals… it was posted right here on Itchmo:

5. Linda says:

Marcia,
    I switched my 2 yr. old Bichon from Eukaneuba to wellness the day before the news about tainted pet food broke (she was not her self, moping, no energy, just not right). Although it was a gradual switch, My baby ate that crap for 2 whole years and can you imagine how hard any change would be. I was not comfortable with wellness after trying three different kinds, so I went to CA Natural. At first she could not digest it, or any kibble for that matter. After all this time, my dog is doing very well as of the past few weeks. I had to stop the kibble entirely, give her pepcid and a bland diet…lamb or chicken (pref. organic), rice, about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin. I did this for 3-5 days as I consulted with the vet. Then I added just a tablespoon or so of the kibble at a time, until she gets 1/2 to 2/3 kibble the most per day and half home made food. In the morning, she gets half a hard boiled egg (organic) , a little plain yogurt (also organic) and some kibble. Then at night the meat mixture with some kibble. If your dog inhales food like mine, try giving half the meal at a time to slow her down. After months of loose stools, vomiting and stomach problems, she is doing better than ever. My next step is to cook home made with supplements. I bought one book, ordered another and got a website from another ITCHMO reader - petgrub.com. So thanks to everyone for all your support and good information. I don’t give any treats (not after she was almost done in by Nat. Bal. treats!), just some kibble as a treat and she is fine with that. It is very hard to trust any pet food company, which is understandable, but we have all learned so much through it, unfortunately at the sacrifice of many beloved pets. I now shop at the Whole Food Store and sound like what I used to call my nutty aunt, who was always spouting about how processed foods were killing us all…she was right.

6. LorieVA says:

This is a double post to keep you all informed of what I am doing

Ok, I just got off the phone with a lab I am sending 3 cans of my suspect tainted food on Tuesday morning to be tested, they need about 8oz of product so to be safe sending 3 cans all out of the same new case they got sick from half way through second can. Hopefully, the case is all the same batch and not just a random bad can here and there and I just so happened to use the poison can. *sigh* that would be just my luck. Keep fingers crossed we get the results we need to hang another company out to dry.

7. LorieVA says:

Linda,

My cats were on PEPCID doing their recovery also, it has now been 9 weeks since poisoning and seem to be doing much better and not really needing PEPCID as of last week. Knock on wood. They are on wild canned alaskan salmon, baked chicken tenderloins, and KUMPIKAT. Their dandruff has gone totally away, Geisha stilll has an ocassional hairball due to long hair Persain who hates to be brushed, but we try. LOL

8. furmom says:

And which alleged food do you believe you are allegedly testing?

9. Flamin says:

Well Another Friday, & you know what this means. More pet food companies will more likely than not, release recalled products tested for cyanuric acid, or the other contaminates. This is really getting depressing.

I’m not feeding my dog, or family any chicken, fish, ( we don’t eat pork ) products for awhile. Only buffalo & venison for meat, my dog loves it! No soy protein meat for a while either, I miss veggie burgers.

TGIF= Thank God for Itchmo Forum

someone update Wiki please..

10. Barbara says:

As I’m reading everything this morning, It brings back memories. Over the years with may kitties I watched them vomit food, bile & the foamy yellow stuff also. Lots of times with loose bowels too. Never gave a thought it could be the food. After all, I bought the best stuff out there, so I thought. Back in the mid 70′ when I got married we got a kitten from my brother. Then, Whiskis was THE thing to feed him. He was back & forth to the vet. At age 14 he died of cancer. We also had gotten a puppy at that time. He passed from cancer at age 12. In the 80′ we got 2 other kitties. One just passed FROM CANCER again & he was 17. My other little shadow passed at age 12 from cancer,IBD, and a spine infection, which I don’t know the real name for it. I still never thought it was the food. I kept thinking it was the water. Just last month we had the water tested & found it is EXCELLECT. So that left the food or their “Genes” which is what my kids kept telling me. When this recall started, I knew for sure what it was all along. So, that just goes to show how long this has been going on. I blamed myself for their deaths. I thought I was going something wrong, and what could I have done better. It’s a terrible feeling.
    justjeneric, As far as getting rid of the food, maybe try putting it in a plactic bag or 2 a little at a time then put it in the garbage. I do like the idea you have to feed it to the co. owners! That one is the best.

11. Flamin says:

I missed where you get your food tested at LorieVA.
    Can you post a link, and price? I was wondering how much it would cost, to test people food too.

Thanks & GL on the results…keep us posted

12. LorieVA says:

furmom,

trying to keep it on the down low…*WINK* so no cyber amn shos up at my door and kills me or blows up the lab I am sending it to. LOL I think. Will let you all know results

13. Barbara says:

It looks like we all wrote at the same time!
    I want to thank everyone here for being so kind and helpful. The foods are getting a little easier to pick from now. I’m going kitty shopping now.
    Itchmo, Thank you for starting this and going a GREAT job keeping us informed. I don’t know what we would have done without this, especially me! It is a wonderful idea.

14. danielle says:

Marcia: I personally haven’t used Cal. Natural, but I’ve heard it’s very dry. Not a lot of moisture content. Did you mix the kibble with water? Most of the super-premium foods recommend that you do that. As for the loose stool, maybe it was just your dogs adjusting to the food, or it could just be too rich for them. I haven’t heard of any problems with this food, just that it’s a little bland-tasting compared to other foods and very dry.

15. Flamin says:

Barbara,
    “vomit food, bile & the foamy yellow stuff also. Lots of times with loose bowels”

Oh? The vet told me the yellow foam is from having an empty tummy! Don’t tell me this is a symptom!!!! My chihuahua was doing that when he was eating royal canin mini 33 chicken puppy food for the first two months! Remember that isn’t on royal canin’s recall list, but I took him off it in fear of the so called “cross contamination story” these companies claim to happen. Could you post a link, or information where the yellow foam vomit is a symptom please.
    Thanks

16. LorieVA says:

Flamin

Yellow bile vomiting is not normal both my cats did that from the bad food.

17. MarkH says:

Hmm…Yellow bile vomit. You know, a long time ago last year my cat was having this symptom. This was around the summer of last year 2006. My vet told me to switch his food and put him on some of the Hill’s Diet formula.

Guess what I was feeding my cat at that time…Max Cat Gourmet Classics from Nutro. I am just speculating, but I wonder if there is a connection?

18. furmom says:

LorieVA,
    What concerns me is not so much that you might mysteriously suffer a fatal “accident” (well that does concern me), but rather that if you or some other pet owner get results implicating a pet food company, that they will turn up with a nice check, an offer you can’t refuse,to shut up with your results and go away. Everyone has their price.

19. Flamin says:

Oh Great! I must have missed that one LorieVA. What I read was the excessive water drinking, loss of appetite, vomiting and lethargy. I thought vomiting up something, but not yellow foam. My vet said to make she he eats right away, since chis are prone to hypoglycemia. I was even waking him up in the night to feed him the puppy mini! Well he’s going to be 5 months June 15th, and he goes in to be nurtured then. He’s not vomiting the yellow foamy stuff anymore since I took him off the royal canin puppy mini 33. I did keep the contents of the bag in my freezer, just in case. Should I ask the vet if he should be tested for this before June 15th surgery? I wonder if the vet knows this is a symptom? I’m going to call his office when they open at 9am in 30 minutes.
    Oh great! I hope I wasn’t right about royal canin puppy mini 33.

20. Ann Jackson says:

Hi, Lynn. Thank you so much for your response and advice about Freedom’s trembling legs. I’ve had every test I can think of to check her heart and other major organs. I will defintiely check out the links you posted. Thanks.

The thing is Freedom never had the trembling before she had the kidney failure from the food. And there are other things happening to her too. She has lost a lot of weight and many times won’t eat her food. She lost a portion of her tongue due to the kidney failure. She’s going blind in one eye, which could be a coincidence, but it happened only three weeks after her kidney faliure. She also got a serious infection in the blind eye about two weeks ago. I want to say she’s recovered because that’s what I wish but she hasn’t and probably never will. The vet told me she is very lucky to be alive. I have never been able to have children so Freedom has helped to fill this void. She means so much to me. My heart goes out to all who have lost pets or still have pets suffering.

I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to me. It means a lot to me that we have this site to connect and help each other. If we all stick together and keep working on this, I know we can change things so that this will never happen again to anyone’s pet. Thanks, again, for your caring.

21. LorieVA says:

Flamin,

if the puppy is acting normal you he or she is probably ok, i would just wait till normal appt on June 15th, if he is acting lazy, non playful, drinking or not drinking, refusing to eat, vomiting even bile, having trouble breathing, trembling, drooling, excessive lip licking or trouble with hind legs go sooner. the lucky ones seem to recover with just removal of bad food.

22. LorieVA says:

Flamin PS

ALso eating lots of grass and not having reg potty breaks increase or decrease.

23. LorieVA says:

Ann Jackson,

My cats had the leak shaking thing like they were stiff or asleep, vet said that was one of the symptoms of kidney problems. So if your dog is still recoveringthat is going to be one of the issues. : (

24. Kathy says:

Anyone know whether a 20 pound bag of the right Iams has been found?? I went to Wallyworld in Alamosa, CO—-no Iams large breed at all. Went to Big R—several 40 lb. bags of large breed, no 20s. I think I’ve covered everywhere here, but will check back over the weekend!

25. Debbie4747 says:

furmom Says:

May 25th, 2007 at 11:26 am
    LorieVA,
    ******

I’ve seen Lorie posting for weeks now. Her price is proving her cats were sickened by the food. I don’t see Lorie going away. I know I wouldn’t, even if the “men in black” or whoever showed up at my door.

26. Flamin says:

okay thanks LorieVA. He was drinking lots of water, and he does tremble cause his a chi. So I told the vet, but the vet said to just feed him more often. I’ll call at 9 this morning, and will insist on some blood work before the surgery just to be safe. Going under anesthesia to be nurtured, is out of the question if his kidneys are damaged. When I called Royal canin , they said the puppy mini 33 this was completely safe, and tested. However I took him off anyway, when they started recalling some products, and admitted finding cyanuric acid. So the possibility still remains. Thanks for the advice.

27. LorieVA says:

Furmom,

Like Debbie4747 said I am not the type of person to sell my soul to the devil for any price, I just want justice for my girls and all the other pet owners and pets who have been lied too.

I wouldn’t sell out for all the tea in CHINA……oops guess that not a funny anymore. But rest assured no amount of money could shut me up about this.

This may sound strange but as I get older I prefer animal rights over human ones.

Must be because most humans act like greedy hienas these days take the PFI as an example.

28. LorieVA says:

Flamin,

My baby Geisha went under anesthesia during the poisoning to rule out hairball blockage because her food was not on the list. The food is still not on list vet found nothing in Scope and biopsy, said all signs once the biospy came back clean point to toxic pet food. BUT company won’t admit to a problem.

29. Flamin says:

Yes that’s what I’m afraid of too Lorie. So I will ask the vet to test his blood before going under anesthesia. I’m calling he vet now.

30. Amy says:

Furmom - I’ve gotten to know Lorie both on this board and in personal email exchange, and believe me, there is no price high enough for her to forget her principles and her love of animals. Actually she would probably take the check, image it or make a copy, and call the press and post it on Itchmo… but she would never cash that check. Nope. No way.

31. Flamin says:

Lorie,
    I just got off the phone with the vet’s office. As long as he’s not vomiting now, she said to wait till the June app. She did move the appt from June 20th, to the 7th. They do a pre surgery blood screen, and will let me know the results before the surgery if anything is elevated.
    She noted the Royal Canin puppy mini diet on his charts too. I reminded her about me telling her last month about the yellow foam vomit, and what she told me to feed him more during the night so he wouldn’t have an empty tummy in the morning. She did say if he is vomiting now to bring him in. Sheesh, why didn’t she tell me that last month.
    g2g take a shower, check one more store for 20 lb Iams Large Breed dry dog food. Check back here later today.
    Have a nice day everyone. Hope no bad news this Friday….

Flamin

KiKi: I think the Method is a Target brand. If you don’t have a Target handy, Arm and Hammer “Free” formula is also good, and also does not cost more, usually less than the other brands.

33. Amy says:

Hey Helen!
    Method isn’t a Target brand but Target is one of two major national retailers to carry their product. I just checked the method website and it looks like it’s also available at Lowe’s. You can check for stores in your area here http://www.methodhome.com/supp.....cator.php, of course it is also available online. I’ve been really happy with their product so far…

In the spirit of reduced consumption I am now shopping for a hybrid to replace my Jeep!

34. TEALCSMOMMY says:

Flamin, my two chis ate the Royal Canin Chihuahua 28 during the past two years along with human food. My 2 1/2 year old had several times thrown up I believe it was clear bile. Read that when you disturb their eating pattern ( was never a good eater), this could happen. A week before these recalls I brought him in for a dental cleaning, and the vet was concerned about his ALT liver enzymes. On a scale of 1-100, his was 298. The vet said to wait 3 months to test again to see if there is improvement and if further testing is needed. He told me that he was being poisoned in his enviroment or food supply. I notified Royal Canin by email after their recalls and asked them to check this particular product. They emailed me back saying it was ok.(Of course, I stopped feeding them this product). My little girl, 6 months old was also throwing up her food several times in the beginning. I just assumed she over exited herself too soon after eating (it was human food she threw up I believe). Anyway, my boy has finally put on weight. I home feed them now.

35. Lynn says:

Ann, the one thing I failed to say in my late night post was how very sorry I am about all this. No one ever has to explain to me how much their pet means to them - believe me, I know. Like you, I don’t have human kids, my dogs have been my kids. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, I wouldn’t do for them.

In reading your post here’s another thought, albeit simple, that might be a cause of her trembling: often losing weight and being underweight causes you to feel cold. So many possible causes.

I’d like to impart some sound advice my vet gave me when my dog was going blind: gojg blind is not as huge a loss to a dog as it is to a human, as they have such magnificent other sensory mechanisms. He also told me explicitly to get rid of any furniture with sharp corners and NOT to rearrange furniture. As crazy as it sounds, he told me to put a blindfold on and to get on my knees, all fours, and to crawl around each room that my dog frequents. Gives you an idea of what might be bothersome in the way of furniture.

Your best ally right now is going to be your veterinarian. If by any chance you don’t have complete confidence in him/her [and I’m NOT suggesting that you should not] just mention it on this website and perhaps your city/state and I’ll bet you get a ton of excellent recommendations from people in your area.

My thoughts are with you and Freedom.

36. TEALCSMOMMY says:

I’ve also found some Method products in my supermarket, Stop & Shop.

37. Sue says:

Seventh Generation products are also really good to use, and they can usually be found in the grocery store. (And if not there, then in a health food store.)

Also, there is a really good website http://www.cosemeticdatabase.com that the Environmental Working Group has. It has a huge database where you can look up products, ingredients or a company for that matter to see what kind of chemicals etc are being used. It’s really disqusting to see what kinds of chemicals are being put in everyday products and the damage that these chemicals can do.

38. Sue says:

UGH! I spelled it wrong - it should be www.cosmeticdatabase.com Sorry.

39. Barbara says:

Flamin,
    I don’t have a web site for the foamy vomit, but I think LorieVA pretty sumed it up. Lately mine started it again but I ‘ve been trying to change their food because they are on NB canned Venison & Green Pea so I know something has changed in it. They are scratch again & Muffin’s ears stay almost red again. I just got back from the pet store & found Calif. Natural Deep Water Fish & Salmon & Sweet Potato. When I came home there dishes still had food in them which is not normal for them since this morning. I opened the Salmon & Potato and they RAN for it. Dishes are empty! I’m looking for the Calif. Venison but can’t get it in the store here, so the lady is kind enough to order for me so I can get it sooner until I can order it on line IF they like it.
    There is a new company starting that makes Weruva, never heard of it before, but the lady says she has a hard time keeping it on the shelf. I picked up 2 cans but when I re-read the lable in the light, it has Menadion Sodium Bisuffite Complex which I’ve been reading on here is not the natural one. Could someone explain to me why this one is bad? I don’t remember. Sorry. The web site on the can is www.weruva.com. I haven’t had time to check it out yet.
    I would also change the puppy food to maybe Calif. Natural or EVO. From what others have been saying, that may be your best bet for now.
    I didn’t find that bag of IAMS either, I looked at Petsmart.

Thanks Amy. I have to use the Arm and Hammer Free because EVERYTHING makes me itch. Even a lot of “pure and natural” health food store soaps like Dr. Bronners make me itch. Once I find something “itchless” I hang with it. A&H breaks down easier and has less toxic crap in it than most brand name laundry soaps.

Hurray for the hybrid! Did you know that Their Own Butt premium cat food and Everyone Else’s Butt premium dog food would love to buy your old jeep? It raises the mineral content in their foods. :P

41. Jeanette says:

No wonder my blood pressure keeps getting worse…every day more bad news. Perhaps the Kahlua cure tonight might help…
    A couple of burning questions here: DMS can you elaborate on the skin infections and bad odors?

Is anyone reporting issues with Costco Kirkland Dry Chicken Puppy food? I got nowhere when I called corporate to ask about it and about the Kirkland Biscuits (made by American Nutrition I think…) they just gave me phone numbers to voicemails that never got returned. My roommate feeds it and my dogs munch it out of their bowls and get those cookies and Milk Bones… - my dogs arent looking so good all of a sudden and some pretty stupendous diarrhea. I have a call into the vet but..sigh..dont know if I can take much more…

The vet tells me my dog who died in March wasnt related to the bad food but the more I hear on this blog the more I worry that I fed my baby something that killed her…She was weak and bleeding from the mouth and never bounced back - oh god did some stupid coporation kill my dog? I am sorry to rant on like some crazywoman but this is surreal.

HELP

42. Barbara says:

Good one Helen!

43. LorieVA says:

Jeanette,

What food was your poor dog eating……………………what did the vet say caused the bleeding out the mouth.

To me that sounds like the rat poison food.

44. Lorna says:

It’s interesting that we haven’t heard anything about someone finding an alleged 20-pound bag of Iams Large Breed yet.
    Isn’t it?

I looked in a pet store here in Ontario,just out of interest.(I do understand the Denver area is the one being looked at)They had a 17 1/2 -pound bag of the alleged brand.Used to be 20 pounds but has been changed recently.
    Same price.
    Was made in USA,but distributed from Toronto.

Has it crossed anyone else’s mind that the alleged bags may allegedly have been immediately removed from store shelves when the alleged toxicolgy results hit the screen?

Lorna

45. LorieVA says:

They 10 bags of the 20 lbs in BLOOM yesterday in VA, none matched though. Going to PETCO after work never made it yesterday to get kitty litter onlyplace that carries my brand that doesn’t make kitties sneeze. Will check there and Petsmart on way home. Will post what i find

46. slt says:

I’m in SC. The store I went to had only 22# “Bonus” size bags of the variety we are looking for so… no luck.

Lorna, they have done such a bad job removing food that HAS been recalled from shelves, there is bound to be some store that couldn’t manage to remove all the ones that have NOT been recalled YET, so everybody keep looking, and hurry up before it all disappears. :O

48. Sandy says:

I slept till 2:30 my time today so I will soon be off in seach of the bag of food..I can think of 3 stores around here that may carry it….wish we luck

49. Louie says:

Found this over at Petsitusa:

50. Barbara says:

Jeanette,
    You may find the answer at http://www.the petfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg2.htm. Hope it helps.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 » Show All