Man Almost Dies After Putting Pet Snake In Mouth

Snake biteThis is a good lesson of what not to do with a pet rattlesnake.

An Oregon man, Matt Wilkinson, almost died after putting his eastern diamondback rattlesnake’s head down his throat, while he was drinking with some friends (alcohol and snakes do not mix). He said he immediately noticed a shot like sensation in his mouth when the snake bit him.

Within seconds, Wilkinson’s tongue and throat began to swell and close as the snake’s poison rushed through his body. His airway was also being cut off.

Doctors stuck a breathing tube down his throat, and injected several doses of anti-venin to combat the toxins. He was put in a medical coma for three days.

After three weeks, Wilkinson, who nearly died from the incident, is still recovering from the bite. Doctors said that if he would have taken any longer to get to the hospital, Wilkinson would probably have died of asphyxiation.

“They said I had enough venom in me to kill between 12 and 15 people,” Wilkinson said.

He added: “I still love snakes but I will take a little more care in handling them. It is kind of my own stupid fault.”

Source: Local6.com

(Thanks Stan)

33 Responses to “Man Almost Dies After Putting Pet Snake In Mouth”

  1. Susan says:

    Darn! This guy just missed being up for a Darwin Award!

  2. Traci says:

    “An Oregon man, Matt Wilkinson, almost died after putting his eastern diamondback rattlesnake’s head down his throat”

    (I try my upmost to be merciful,) BUT too bad he missed out on the yearly Darwin Awards:

    “After three weeks, Wilkinson, who nearly died from the incident, is still recovering from the bite. Doctors said that if he would have taken any longer to get to the hospital, Wilkinson would probably have died of asphyxiation.”

  3. Traci says:

    LOL SUSAN!

    DAM_!

  4. Carol says:

    To quote the dad on “that 70’s show”—dumb a$$!!!
    Glad he’s okay and hopes he learns to not drink around the snake!

  5. Traci says:

    In his hindsight:

    “I still love snakes but I will take a little more care in handling them. It is kind of my own stupid fault.”

    GEE, YA THINK?

    I shouldn’t really be ROTLMTO…I do feel sorry for that snake.

  6. Tanya says:

    KIND’A my own fault??????? KINDA???????

    hello, world, it’s oblivious calling.

  7. Bridgett says:

    We can nominate him for next years Darwin Awards.

    He is definitely from the shallow end of the gene pool.

  8. Stefani says:

    What a moron. More importantly, how is the snake?

    He shouldn’t be allowed to have animals if he is going to use them as props in his drunken neanderthal act.

    Stefani

  9. kathy says:

    Poor snake! Hope he’s okay!

  10. Rita Wiltsie says:

    Urgent Alert: Aflatoxin found in IAMS canned dog food
    IAM’s canned dog food……….warning
    Posted by: “Susan Van Luchene” susanv98@hotmail.com susanvanluchene
    Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 am (PST)

    I am cross posting a warning from one of my Cavalier lists — the person
    who posted it to our list is a well respected AKC Judge.
    Susan

    Dog Food Poison Beware!
    Posted by: “Mornscot2@aol.com” Mornscot2@aol.com Date: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53
    pm ((PDT))

    Hello Everyone, I want to warn everyone about IAM’S Canned Food.
    My friend a breeder of scotties bought a case of Iam’s canned two weeks ago.

    She fed this to two litters of pups…one litter 12/wks, another 5/months. Within 3/days all were not well, no vomiting,no diahrea, no temperature. Off to the Vet with pups. They tested for everything…all came back negative. Pups literally faded away and 6/died! They were necropsy’s and the livers/kidneys sent to the lab for toxicalogy testing. Came back today, found leasions on the livers, and also Aflotoxin poisoning. My friend found the last can in her garbage can and had that tested also - came back Aflotoxin. Please spread this around to anyone you know that feeds this food. Iam’s & Eukanuba have been informed…also the FDA. This food was NOT on the recall list.

    permission given to crosspost………

  11. mittens says:

    this was really natures’ way of thining out the herd of the weakest, dumbest links( or is is missing links?)-drunken stupidity. they should have let nature take it’s course.

    generally it’s 2 year olds who are known for putting anything in their mouths. when grown men do it it’s called…well ,it’s really not nice to say things that will scare the livestock and send the sheep running backwards for cover.

    if it’s only ‘ kind of’ his fault one wonders how he thinks the poor snake contributed to this…

  12. Ruth says:

    Well, I have seen this story on the news all day, this guy has gotten his 15 minutes of fame for being a dumb a##. Stupid people doing stupid things.

    As for the IAM’s Post: I am sorry for the person who lost her pups.

    IMO: IAM’s seems to keep doing what they have continued to do and not take responsibilty. First the wet pouches, the unrecalled dry food and now the cans. Are you reading, Trolls, hasn’t your company done enough damage?

    Will this person come forward and post the test results? Pet owners really need to read it for themselves.

  13. Pukanuba says:

    I saw this guy on the news…..at first I thought it was some kind of joke. Then they showed a picture of him when his face was almost purple & swollen……I’m sorry, this is just too much for me to take. Back in my younger days I did my fair share of drinking & we did a lot of foolish things but put a snake down our throats…… don’t think so. It’s kinda like suicide only slower.

    I think he will make #1 on the Darwin Awards……couldn’t be more deserving.

  14. cheryl says:

    Kind of ???!!!?? Don’t let this idiot near power tools, vehicles or weapons - he is a danger to society.

  15. Diane says:

    I’m wondering whether the man or the snake would score higher on an IQ test.

  16. Traci says:

    Pukanuba,

    The highest he can get on the Darwin’s is an “Honorable Mention” for having the spirit but lacking the followthrough.

  17. Lorri says:

    this is an example of why people shouldn’t drink. It obviously diminishes ANY brain capacity they once had…

    this guy needs all the brain cells he can salvage.

  18. nora says:

    For the Iam’s post. I have to wonder at this point why anyone who is dilligent and loving enough to breed Scotties as a reputable breeder would still be purchasing Iams and above all feeding it to her precious pups. 2 weekends ago I was at a the Largest AKC show locally of the year and another Dog Owner (she was showing her Sheltie) kept sticking up for the Eukanuba Brand she has been feeding her senior show sheltie for years. I did my best to speak well RE: Home cooking, but his lady acted like she just knew it all……I also brought up the incident of this breeder above to another breeder of Champion Aussies for over 30 years and she said she was feeding Purina Pro Plan for a long time. (UGH!) I mentioned what is in the dog foods that we were speaking of and the Aussie Breeder agreed that we just don’t know for sure when one of them could be tainted.

  19. Jenny Bark says:

    Hey, why you people picking on this guy. I bet he works for pfi testing the food before anybody buys it. Seems like the same amount of brain cells to do a really good job for them.

    About the above post, I pray they at least have another silent recall before any more babies eat it. Iams & Eukanuba have people so brain washed (I was 1 of them) and the vets just keep pushing it. I was having such good thoughts about my Misty & Roxy until I read that post. I know I shouldn’t hate but I really do hate Eukanuba. Their day for He!! has to come & it can’t be too soon for me.

  20. KimS says:

    Thin the herd!!!

  21. Amanda says:

    Saw the video of this guy, he actually has a girlfriend. Please don’t let them breed!!!!!!

  22. Anonymous says:

    Has the snake been taken away from his house and given to someone who truly cares about it and is responsible enough to handle a hot snake? I wonder what the herp organizations think of this guy? They should pressure him to give it up.

  23. Bridgett says:

    Amanda, my thoughts exactly! This man should not be allowed to reproduce.

  24. Bridgett says:

    and if his girlfriend is wise, she’ll dump him. She won’t stand a chance of having normal kids with this guy.

  25. Carol Johnson says:

    Speaking of gene pools…this guys must be evaporated.

  26. Traci says:

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s.....TE=DEFAULT

    Another version of the story with extra fun details!

  27. nora says:

    the dumb ass may have permanent organ or nerve damage before its all over…..Gezzzzzz.

  28. Bridgett says:

    Thanks for posting that article. We have all be wondering what happened to the poor snake.

    What an idiot!!!! Trying to impress is EX-girlfriend, I wonder if she was EX before or after this happened? Maybe she figured out how stupid he was before this. She was the only one sober.

  29. Donna says:

    For this man with the snake.Neuter should be required.NOTHING to contribute to gene pool.

  30. Traci says:

    Actually not sure what became of the snake–news articles just say he no longer has the poisonous ones. I hope they are still alive and someplace safer.

  31. Emma says:

    What an idiot!

  32. Guy McLaren says:

    This blog has been nominated for a trafficdepartment top 100 blogs award

  33. bob says:

    dum ass


Close
E-mail It