News teams around the country continue to investigate into the safety of pet toys and test for levels of lead.
Recently, a Chicago news team had a tennis ball for dogs called Paws ‘N Claws tested by Trace Laboratories in Palatine, Illinois. The ball had levels of 27,200 parts per million, and the standard that is assumed potentially dangerous by the Consumer Product Safety Commission is anything over 600 parts per million.
The lead wasn’t found throughout the ball but instead in the ink used for the Paws ‘N Claws logo.
Veterinary toxicologist Dr. Steven Hansen, director of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL, said, “Yes, that is a very, very high number. While scary, — because the lead is concentrated in the ink â€“- itâ€™s not quite as scary as it could be.â€
For more information, visit Steve Dale’s Pet World.