Menu Foods Releases Claims Information

Menu Foods has posted information regarding the reimbursement process for veterinary care costs on its Web site — almost 2 months after the initial recall.

The form (PDF) also lists more than 50 class action lawsuits being filed in the US. Receiving reimbursement would mean that you “release any and all claims for damages.” So consider carefully if you would like to proceed with getting a reimbursement directly from Menu Foods.  A separate Canadian process is available (PDF).

Unfortunately, filling out the form requires several pieces of information from the recalled food packages, which many pet owners have discarded or returned based on the recall instructions previously provided to consumers. No instructions are given on how customers will be reimbursed if they are unable to provide full information due to the lack of recalled food containers.

If you have dealt with the Menu Foods claims company and have more information, please email us.

141 Responses to “Menu Foods Releases Claims Information”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

Feb 20th - Menu Foods receives first reports of problems with pet food.
    Feb 26th - Menu foods commence tests on 50 animals.
    Feb 26th & 27th - Menus CFO sells half his shares for $102,900.
    March 16th - Recall announced. Share price plunges
    April 10th - CFO calls this a “horrible coincidence”

Don’t run scared of these people. Give them a taste of their own medicine and more.

The news from MENU FOODS INCOME FUND:

“Menu Foods Income Fund Reaches Agreements With Its Bank and Noteholders”

Had Enough????

Nationwide Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Pet Food Companies and Retailers For Misleading Consumers Regarding the Contents of Pet Food

MIAMI, FL — May 15, 2007 — A cat and dog owner from Michigan and two cat and dog owners from Florida have filed a nationwide class action against food industry giants Mars, Inc., Proctor and Gamble Co., Colgate Palmolive Company, Del Monte Foods, Co., and Nestle U.S.A. Inc. These manufacturers have a combined approximate 70% of the market share in the $16 billion dollar a year pet food industry. The suit also names as Defendants Nutro Products, Inc., Menu Foods, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Target Corp., Publix Supermarkets, Inc., Winn Dixie Stores, Inc., as manufacturers and marketers of their own brand pet food and retailers PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc., Pet Supermarket, Inc., and Petsmart Inc.

The lenders who decided to do business with the Menu Foods must not be aware of the facts.

Here’s a fact: Never again will I buy a food that has any connection with Menu.

Would like to see people like ChemNutra, Wilbur-Ellis and Cereal Byproducts listed in lawsuits, as they are just as guilty of negligence as Menu, et. al.

Had they tested the products they imported, it would have been known that all of this was adulterated wheat flour, not wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate. This in itself would have stopped its distribution to the various pet food companies, simply because it was not what was ordered.

After the discovery that it was wheat flour by CN, W-E, etc., any or all of them may have called for further testing and that probably would have uncovered the melamine. At any rate, the discovery of the wheat flour, melamine-contaminated or not, would have been enough to keep it out of the food supply.

Menu is one of those suing CN re: the false wheat gluten, but had Menu done its own testing upon receiving the CN shipments, they would have known what was received was not what was ordered. And the CN orders would have stopped then and there–because they ordered and paid for wheat gluten but got wheat flour. Same can be said for those who received “RPC” from W-E. The “RPC” via W-E, and via Cereal Byproducts failed 3 times–no test by W-E, no test by CB, and no test by the pet food companies who were the end users of it.

There’s a legal term referred to as “ordinary care”. Basically, what it breaks down to is that if you borrowed a friend’s cell phone and your kid flushed it down the you-know-where, you’d be liable to replace the phone. Would be because the law would contend that you would be keeping a cell phone of yours away from the child’s reach (so this couldn’t happen to it). They’d then go on to say that you failed to use “ordinary care” with the borrowed phone, so the liability to make good for it was yours.

With respect to this, it looks like “ordinary care” (testing imported and purchased products received) never existed in ANY of the businesses involved. It also shows the incompencies in these businesses from the company angle, because none of them tested even from the standpoint of checking to see that they got what they paid for.

Even if we purposely omit the word “melamine” in all of this, they are all guilty of adulteration, because wheat flour is not wheat gluten or RPC, and guilty of that by not using ordinary care.

6. YaYa says:

Out of the Food cesspool come the cesspool leeches.

I didn’t bother to read the claim form. What’s the cap? $500 like the others?

Would NOT even cover the Cost {price} of my First cat that got sick. Nor the Value to me of what Both these cats mean to me. The one that I had to put to sleep in 05 nor the one that’s going through a long De-toxification now. Since I know I jumped on this with her ASAP and she did not have the damage or reactions of the “norm”. :-(
    {and I’m not saying that if someone else had done the same or differently than me the would still have a cat that’s alive as mine is. She just did not get as much and I think she was Incredibly health and— a Mutt cat :-) }
    It’s STILL coming out of her now!

I miss my Shimi-Cat still, my cat left and I Both do!
    They were like Mutt and Jeffa.

Tho my Kitty now is adjusted to being an only cat and *I* am her bud now.

Folks still talk about my Shimi.

A suit, won’t help me.
    I know I’m not alone in that. And that’s where the Big Manufacturers will get “off”. And that S__KS!

7. YaYa says:

Let me Clarify. Cesspool leeches= CEO’s. CFO’s, PQR’s and XYZ’s!

I’ll Never forget my First visit to the Menu Foods website. I saw “Menu Fooods *Income Fund*” and my heart and mind just sunk.

An Income Fund, making Food. Right out there for the World to see. {as if they were PROUD of it!}

We did not know.
    Never crossed our minds.
    We Trusted them.

Who would have Ever thought, you have to Investigate the Foods you feed your FAMILY in Great Detail????????
    In this day and age and with the technology we have we should not have to.

I’m Sorry, I’m ranting again and don’t want some “Suit” reading what I’m typing now, so that in court they can *Label* US as irrational.

Remember THAT part folks when You post.
    They’ll be looking for ANY loophole for the Court cases. Don’t be one, that might Provide one {some} for them! Believe me they are coyping- EVERY WORD HERE. {and other websites now} You can Bank on That.

Two Die After Eating Instant Noodles
    Thursday, 10 May 2007
    TWO Ulaanbaatar students have died after eating Chinese-made instant noodles. The noodles, which come in a red packet and cost Tg 150 or US$0.10, are widely sold in shops here. The Mongolian news website www.oops.mn reported the deaths last week.

The noodles are thought to have contained toxic waste water which went undetected during the production process in China.
    “There is a real risk from these contaminated products and we will not sell these noodles again until we are completely sure they are safe,” said Chris Essier, marketing manager at Everyday supermarket in the students’ quarter, a major stockist of the noodles.

“We have removed all Chinese-produced instant noodles from our stores and now only sell Korean and Japanese varieties.”
    However, traders at the Bombogor Wholesale Center and in smaller shops around Ulaanbaatar continue to sell the noodles. “We still sell them as customers still want to buy them,” said one trader who asked not to be named.

9. YaYa says:

ITCHMO, *would you*, could you Tell, US; if You were subpoenaed??? :-P

10. Linda says:

Steve wrote:
    ““Premium” Pet Food Marketed and Sold as “Complete and Balanced” Has Historically Contained Such Items as Euthanized Dogs and Cats, Restaurant Grease, Hair, Hooves, and Diseased Animals, and Other Inedible Garbage”

Steve please don’t post such comments unless you also give a credible source link. An attorneys website does not count, as they are biased and in it for the money. Show us some credible proof that these things are in pet food. Wait…you can’t. You are using scare-tactics that is uncalled for. Pet food products in the U.S. CAN NOT, and DO NOT contain euthanized dogs and cats and diseased animals, or feathers and such.

Yes, they(the byproducts) can contain intestines and other meat product reminents that are “leftovers” that we don’t eat. But it is not chicken beaks, brains, feathers and stuff like that.

I’m tired of uninformed people on this website using scare tactics, to make people buy different food for their pets. Next time provide credible proof. Are you someone that works in a processing plant or slaughter house that actually sees the ingredients going into pet food?

11. martin says:

MAY 15, 2007 - 17:16 ET

Menu Foods Income Fund Reaches Agreements With Its Bank and Noteholders

TORONTO, ONTARIO–(CCNMatthews - May 15, 2007) -

NOT FOR RELEASE OVER US NEWSWIRE SERVICES

Attention Business/Financial Editors:

Menu Foods Income Fund (TSX:MEW.UN) announced today that it has reached agreements with its bank and the holders of its senior secured notes (collectively, the “Lenders”), which among other things, define the terms and conditions governing the Fund’s US$30 million bank and US$85 million senior secured notes facilities (US$75 million outstanding), going forward. In addition, the Fund entered into an agreement with its bank for a new US$20 million credit facility.

The new bank facility, and Menu’s existing bank facility, will both extend to June 30, 2009. Under the new agreements all borrowings, including those under the existing bank and senior secured notes facilities will carry rates of 4.75% and 5.30% over LIBOR, for the bank and the senior secured notes, respectively. These interest rates will continue to apply until the additional US$20 million facility is extinguished and the balance owing under the US$30 million facility is less than US$15 million for five consecutive business days and Menu achieves a total debt to EBITDA ratio, on a trailing twelve months basis, of 3 to 1 or less, at which time the interest rates will revert to those set out in Menu’s existing facilities, provided that there are no other defaults.

Under the terms of the amended agreements, not more than CDN$45 million may be utilized by the Fund for recall-related costs. Furthermore, the amended facilities require the Fund to pay fees to the Lenders, plus all associated professional costs, and modify certain covenants until such time as the US$20 million bank facility is repaid.

How bout you prove to us this stuff Linda isn’t getting into the food.

Get Busy

Ekedahl

“We recognize there is a definite need for improved surveillance,” he said. “This can be done in a way so that there is not a heavy burden of regulation.” The industry sells $15 billion of pet food a year.

Oh really? And how do you propose that since your the one who’s probably as much responsible for this mess as anyone.

14. 3FURS says:

A few months ago, I took out a MILK BONE dog biscuit for my dog. The end of it was broken off and a nice little white bird/chicken feather was baked into the biscuit.

15. LorieVA says:

Linda,

Not taking eithr side of this debate but I think thre are more bad things than good thngs in our pet food, and actually the USDA IMO has been know to turn a blind eye now and again to a downer cow or two. If pet food was human grade it was cost more than a buck a can. Think about it.

“Animal by-products are ground, rendered, and cleaned slaughtered meat carcass parts such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, bones, heads, and intestines (and a small amount of feathers in the case of chicken) — yes, by-products are as gross and disgusting as they sound. The quality of animal by-products is very inconsistent between batches.

“In many cases, by-product meals are derived from “4-D” meat sources — defined as food animals that have been rejected for human consumption because they were presented to the meat packing plant as “Dead, Dying, Diseased or Disabled.”

“AAFCO Definition for Meat By-Products

“”Meat by-products is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food. If it bears name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto.”

“Animal by-products are commonly found in the majority of lower-grade pet foods and even many of the larger name brands that market themselves as “premium pet food” manufacturers, including Science Diet (even their prescription diet product line), Purina (both Purina One and Purina Pro Plan), and Iams / Eukanuba. Ingredients listed as “beef, chicken, and/or poultry byproducts” on pet food labels are not required to include actual meat, and “rendered meat” on labels can refer to ANY rendered mammal meat, including dogs and cats! ”

DE and all PF company executives are considered to be mammals–with this definition of meat by-products, and and all of them could be rendered into the products they regulate and sell…..

Sorry- meant to say ANY and all of them…

18. 3FURS says:

Oh, and one time I saw a piece of red plastic in the same brand of dog biscuit. I thought that maybe it just was a piece of some machine they used. I just threw these biscuits away, and thought it was some innocent accident. That was long before any of these new revelations.

19. LorieVA says:

3FURS,

That red looking plastic was probably part of a pets collar………………..

20. martin says:

Oh LarieVA, that was terrible :-{

21. ally says:

From the book, “Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food.” By Ann N. Martin.:

“…companion animals from clinics, pounds, and shelters can and are being rendered and used as sources of protein in pet food”

“The slaughterhouses where cattle, pigs, goats, calves, sheep, poultry, and rabbits meet their fate, provide more fuel for rendering. After slaughter, heads, feet, skin, toenails, hair, feathers, carpal and tarsal joints, and mammary glands are removed. This material is sent to rendering. Animals who have died on their way to slaughter are rendered. Cancerous tissue or tumors and worm-infested organs are rendered. Injection sites, blood clots, bone splinters, or extraneous matter are rendered. Contaminated blood is rendered. Stomach and bowels are rendered. Contaminated material containing or having been treated with a substance not permitted by, or in any amount in excess of limits prescribed under the Food and Drug Act or the Environmental Protection Act. In other words, if a carcass contains high levels of drugs or pesticides this material is rendered.”

Not taking sides either. Just sayin’ we all know that many involved in the pet food industry are far from being saints.

22. YaYa says:

I know LorieVA will probably beat me to this but, Yes Martin, a pet collar. I’ve read in the same types of post ith more details than the one you posted on the various catagories of By-Products that; they do Not stop to take the time to remove tags or collars. {including FLEA collars}

Lots of livestock have ear tags as well. {as in a pierced ear ring}

23. Terri says:

Never posted here before but I do read almost every day. Anyway I wanted to pass an FYI along…….. if any of you feed your pets Dr’s Foster & Smith food ( some were hit by the recall, but not all) they no longer have their recall page up.

24. martin says:

Dead Animal Removal and Disposal:
    For farmers, meat processors and the livestock industry
    Valley Proteins provides timely and dependable response to calls for the collection of dead and down livestock in a limited service area. The agriculture and meat processing industries have come under increasingly tighter regulatory scrutiny for the disposal of dead and downer livestock. Valley Proteins provides an efficient and safe means of disposing of these animals by collecting and processing the carcasses at one of our environmentally sound rendering plants. The carcasses collected are recycled into quality animal feed ingredients and the hides are processed for the industrial leather trade.
    For more information please contact rendering@valleyproteins.com.

25. LorieVA says:

martin,

I am sorry I was joking, but I have heard fact or fiction who knows anymore that they do not take collars off pets, tags of livestock, and also the packaging off spoiled meat……………………..just grind it all up together we will never know and to be honest I never even thought about any of this till this whole mess started. I just trusted the pet food companies and who ever watches them. Boy was I dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!! They say that if you test some of the foods there is a low dose of the drug they use to put pets down in each can.

26. martin says:

YaYa,

Just the thought of it makes me ill. I wish I could actually believe it really wasnt a collar but I wouldnt doubt it was.

27. LorieVA says:

YA YA,

LOL you beat me.

28. YaYa says:

Terri, Thanks for posting. I guess that since they do it by Mail-order {that’s my understanding}, that they must think they’ve covered their butts; in contacting all of their affected customers. AND having a Recall info sheet {on website or in a store right now} is Not good future PR for the companies.
    Future customers coming, would never know.

They know a Real BAD case of the UGLIES is coming and don’t want to be affilitated with a Recall.

IMHO :-)

29. LorieVA says:

Actually I posted this before my nail tech from Vietnam says she feeds her dog people food because her cousin in Vietnam who owns a chicken farm has a dumpster on site specifically for dead chickens, to be put in for a pet food company to come pick up weekly.

30. martin says:

ally,

I read that book. My vet told me it contained NO FACTS AT ALL. I still believe it does!!!

31. Susan says:

I though these links were interesting…..
    This article is about a BSE positive cow put in pet food in Canada in 2003.
    Here’s another one from Nebraska Dept of Ag about how to prepare meat unfit for human consumption for use in pet food.
    This one’s about the shortage of protein and using “inedible meat” to provide it.

What angered me is the way the PF Industry attempted to cover this thing up.

Thats the bottom line. Go ahead. Slam me all you want.

33. martin says:

LorieVA,

No need to apologize at all. Joke or not, I’ll bet your right! The thought of it is just horrible. But look at the industry we are talking about. If an old beat up shoe added a little weight and could be ground up enough they would throw it in there too.

However,.the shoe would be healthier than what they put in there now.

34. ally says:

martin,

I haven’t yet read the book. Just did a search on feathers & whatnot with “pet food” on Google and all sorts of things came up, including that book’s excerpt. I know enough to know you have to weed through what the ‘net turns up as fact or fiction. Just found that part interesting and the author was also featured on Advocacy for Animals.

It wouldn’t surprise me one iota what all’s been rendered into pet food over the years. But one thing I can say - I know better now. We ALL do. Not only concerning learning more about the ingredients in our pet’s food, but also in our very own.

I don’t care what kind of spin the FDA or USDA or anyone cares to put out there. I’m not buying into it a second time. Uh-huh, no way. Buyer beware indeed….

35. YaYa says:

I’d ask, then Just WHAT Do they do with all of the “nasty” stuff? They sure don’t bury it {contaminats the soil} and they sure don’t have Kilns buring day and night burning the remains; that too would contaminate the air {and people would complain about the smoke and smells, and insist it Stop}.

They singe the fur/hair off and then it goes to processing etc. Singeing does Not burn off the collars etc. or “Kill-off”, antibotics, or other drugs, flea preventive articles-in or On the animals if ‘pets’ etc, nor does it Kill disease.
    I’m sorry to be ‘graphic’ but, the cooking process is way down the line at the plants.

I hope I spelled “singe” correctly!

Blech :-þþþ

36. Susan says:

Is it possible to get pet food approved for sale in the EU? This sounded better to me than what we have in the US.
    “European Parliament and Council regulation 1774/2002 establishes the health rules concerning animal by-products not intended for human consumption and replaces Directive 90/667/EEC. This regulation as well as the TSE regulation was developed in response to the BSE crisis and is part of the EU’s strategy to eradicate food-borne crises. The animal by-products regulation covers all animal products not intended for human consumption, and as such covers both products for technical uses and animal by-products used in the production of feeds and pet food. This regulation requires that animal by-products used in the production of feeds and pet food be derived from the carcasses of animal declared fit for human consumption following veterinary inspection (category 3 products in the regulation). Provisions include a ban on intra-species recycling and fallen stock and restrictions on yellow grease. Certain categories of pet food have to be denatured with specified substances. Pet food plants have to be dedicated to production of product fit for human consumption.”

37. YaYa says:

It’s all “relative”.

I just heard that Greenies ask that you not wash your Blue jeans but only after every *5* wearings. The DYES in blue jeans yuck up the water and soil. And saves on energy in the washing and drying process.

One other thought, one on the chemicals {drugs, fleas repellents, tick dust or what ever, you name it, On lvestock} in and on animals and Heat.

I would think Some of them may have a “molecular change” in Heat. That’s be-fore it goes into the cans.

Hmmmmmmmmm— wonder What it all becomes when you add a little Melamine {alone} with THAT brew?

38. Dogmom says:

Many years ago, I took my new puppy to a class called “puppy kindergarten”. The first class was without the dogs and we were told what we would be doing, what our puppies would learn and what we needed to bring with us to class. Before the instuctor let us go, she surveyed the class as to what we were feeding our dogs. Many said Purina Puppy chow. She nodded, presented a blender, a pitcher of water and a brand new sealed bag of Purina Puppy Chow. She poured some of the chow into the blender, added water and ran it for a minute or two. Then she turned off the machine, took off the lid and passed the container around for us to see what was in it. There was alot of short hairs floating on top of the mixture. While we gasped in disgust; she explained about the four “D’s” in pet food and said that while hair is protien, it in not digestible protien. I repeated the test at home to show my husband and from that moment on, we have never used Purina products.

39. Barb, GSD MOM says:

I wonder if the premium foods have rendered meats in them???????????

DogMom: I forwarded your message to my Purina Sisters. They all feed them Purina One. they will not listen to me. So far, so good for them.

Wow, is all I can say about these blogs.

40. Dogmom says:

It is an easy to replicate test if you have a common household blender and the ingredients. This was in 1988; do not know if they have “improved” their formula. Cynic that I am, I suspect they have not.

41. purringfur says:

“If an evil force could devise an agent capable of damaging the human race, he would make it indestructible, distribute it as widely as possible in animal feed so that it would pass to man, and program it to cause disease slowly so that everyone would have been exposed to it before there was any awareness of its presence,” British microbiologist, Richard Lacey.

Richard F. Marsh, “Comments on Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, v. 197, no. 4 (Aug. 15, 1990), p. 441.

42. LorieVA says:

Dogmom,

That is an amazing story, disgusting but very informative. I wish i still had my IAMS from last year to try this with. May try it with my dry eukanuba, and Hill SD C/D, but then again I do not want hair in my blender.

43. YaYa says:

Yep Dogmom, even the singeing process is not a complete well done job. If a collar goes in what matters a little hair huh. sigh.

It’s a two fold Solution.
    1. Dead Animals of All kinds and from all manners. Thousands every day just on the road sides alone. Just what did we think they did with all of the Accidental ones alone, all these years.
    I honestly thought the County “pick-up” services Burned them, after they do a morning run down the roads.
    2. So the Dead {and dying animals} go into a money making Process= Pet Food. Over, done with, Gone.

It never crossed my mind it would be, could be, More, till this.

This is sort of off topic but, does anyone remember: isn’t it the French that thinks and eat Horse meat as a Prime meat for humans?

I luv buffalo meat, but it is Raised to be eaten now days alot. Beefalo is also good. Both are Better meats for Humans than Beef.

Question: But do we here in America, eat such distasteful things like some Foreign countries do? I just can’t think of any-thing.

LorieVA: You don’t need the blender, just put some of the food in a bowl of water and let it sit there until it dissolves.

45. Sylvia says:

“Linda’s” tactic might have had a little sway before hospitals and graves and urns were full of companion animals sickened killed by the pet food industry.

46. LorieVA says:

Helen
    Good idea, have to wait till a day my stomach is feeling up to it.

LorieVA: You got that right. :P

48. Sylvia says:

Purringfur, you will get me into “conspiracy mode” again!

49. Mandy says:

Dogmom that is horrifying. I don’t have a dog, but my cats used to eat Cat Chow and Purina one till one of them started throwing up when she ate it. I am trying to feed them something else, but my older cat is stubborn and doesn’t want anything else. I am doing everything I can think of to tempt her into eating the new food, but she just looks at me like I’m crazy.

I keep hearing this over and over. My cats only want the food that made them sick. It is very frustrating to think that these rotten companies got our pets addicted to junk food. I heard they spray things on the food that make them smell and taste tempting.

Obviously I will not let my cat starve. If I have to I’ll resort to feeding her people food with suppliments. At least I know what NOT to feed my cats from now on.

I am angry and frustrated about this whole situation. I’m boycotting Purina products forever!

50. lainie says:

Lets Start With By Products. Those Of You That Talk About What Dogs And Cats Eat When They Naturally Hunted Think 4a Minute Will You Nature Wastez Nothing. Ever See A Stray Eat A Mouse Rat Or Bird It Caught. It Doeznt Peel Back The Fur Or Pluck The Feathers It Eats Everything. Those Of U Cooking @ Home Need To Add Ground Bone For Calcium So Why Shouldnt It Be In Dog Food. Red Plastic Is Another Issue All Togethr. But As For Lungs, Kidneys, Hearts And What Not They Are Rich In Alot Of Natural Nutrients. Just A Bit Of Food For Thought Chemicals And The Other Garbage Iz The Problem Not The By Products.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All