Menu Foods Releases Claims Information

Menu Foods has posted information regarding the reimbursement process for veterinary care costs on its Web site — almost 2 months after the initial recall.

The form (PDF) also lists more than 50 class action lawsuits being filed in the US. Receiving reimbursement would mean that you “release any and all claims for damages.” So consider carefully if you would like to proceed with getting a reimbursement directly from Menu Foods.  A separate Canadian process is available (PDF).

Unfortunately, filling out the form requires several pieces of information from the recalled food packages, which many pet owners have discarded or returned based on the recall instructions previously provided to consumers. No instructions are given on how customers will be reimbursed if they are unable to provide full information due to the lack of recalled food containers.

If you have dealt with the Menu Foods claims company and have more information, please email us.

141 Responses to “Menu Foods Releases Claims Information”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

1. Genny says:

“”How bout you prove to us this stuff Linda isn’t getting into the food.

Get Busy”"

LMAO at Steve but biting tongue.

2. LorieVA says:

lainie,

I think the main complaint is some of the PF companies are saying human grade food and slipping some of this waste into the product on the down low.

You know, when cats in my family have caught critters outside, they actually do leave the feet, fur, feathers and other whatnot lying around. My cat is indoor, but I grew up with outdoor cats.

4. 4lgdfriend says:

poster said: wonder if the premium foods have rendered meats in them???????????

“Meals” are rendered, are they not?
    Most “poultry fat” is rendered, is it not?

anyone?

5. 4lgdfriend says:

Steve’s in rare form today. Several are in rare form today! ;-)
    way to go.

6. 4lgdfriend says:

Here, let me help ;-) http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=intro Commercial Dry Foods-Intro: Of course every company is going to tell you that they are using only the best quality ingredients, but the constitutional right to freedom of speech does not require such statements to be truthful.”
    http://altvedmed.com” One 1985 scientific paper examined pHentobarbital levels (an anesthetic agent used in euthanasia solutions) in pet food derived from dogs and cats that had been euthanized at shelters. This practice was still relatively common in the year 2000! A dog or cat on one of the very cheapest diets may be eating pet food that contains the remains of other pet dogs and cats, and the pHentobarbital levels may be significant.1 Slaughterhouse animals rejected for human use due to high antibiotic levels also make their way into pet foods. The American Journal of Cardiology has warned that children allergic to penicillin could die from accidentally eating pet food!2
    The moral to this horror story is this: some pet food manufacturers have determined (supported by scientists, nutritionists and government representatives) that meat rejected for humans is fine for cats and dogs. Considering the things that some pets eat, given the choice (yuck!), this may be true. However, many owners prefer to feed human-grade meat. Some veterinarians even feel that this is more appropriate for animals with health problems. If you prefer human grade meat, you must find a company which uses it
    FOOD EVEN A DOG SHOULDN’T EAT—KILLING OUR PETS WITH EVERY MEAL: http://drjackie.freeservers.co.....a_dog.html
    PETFOOD – OUR ANIMALS ARE DYING FOR IT http://www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg/petfood.html
    http://www.sojos.com/eatitarticle.html EAT IT, I DARE YA! Fish meal for pets is stabilized with ethoxyquin at a level of 400-1000 parts per million. That’s a lot of rubber preservative!

7. 4lgdfriend says:

speaking of 4D 1. http://www.usatoday.com/news/w.....t-bush.htm
    President’s uncle shares Bush family ties to China
    2/18/2002 USA Today

8. YaYa says:

And you know what, I saw a possum last week on the way to the barn, running around with a collar on. Wonder if the PF Co. they take their collars off too? :-þ

Ah I’m just pullin’ your leg folks; my points: but the percentages of a Cow versus a Possum, going into the Rendering plant are probably higher for a cow. AND I doubt the Possum has been Vaccinated or had drug treatment for various things or dusted for pest in the pastures etc.
    I consider the method of the rendering; and What is rendered, I’d prefer a Possum over a Cow with the ‘Cleaner’ body actually, for my cat. But we don’t have, haven’t been given, the CHOICE, of what’s In the foods. {yes there were/are speciality foods but a pain in the butt to find and get, imho}

Sure fresh is better. But Helen is right, they Do leave certain things Un-eaten. Some parts are just bad.

Animals know Fresh. With us, they haven’t had a “choice” and neither have we for the most part.

Then again you might have the type like my old 23 pound country Tom cat, who’d bring ME “the gifts” {out of love} and lay them at my door step :-P
    When he Did eat his kill, he did Not eat Feathers.

{No I’d not want my animals eating possums. They are carion eaters themselves, on top of being Filthy.}

9. 4lgdfriend says:

ah yes….and then theres:
    Union of Concerned Scientists: The Reality of Feed at Animal Factories http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and.....-what.html Animal feed legally can contain rendered road kill, dead horses, and euthanized cats and dogs.
    Rendered feathers, hair, skin, hooves, blood, and intestines can also be found in feed, often under catch-all categories like “animal protein products.”

10. Kiki says:

I hardly think that you can compare survival in nature and the inputs that go into the rendering process.

Whatever the end result of rendering ends up to be, it is not easily apparent what it actually started as - old, rotted and rotting meat with plastic packaging, tumored out diseased and decaying rotting flesh, maggots, flea collars, etc…Only buzzards pick at rotting flesh. Animals in the wild eat fresh kill. They can also tell/smell what is diseased and they don’t eat pus, maggots, tumors, or gangrened flesh. All that routinely goes into your favorite commerical brand rendered pet product and then they have to spray on a thick layer of rendered fat to even get the animals to consider eating it….gross. Listen if you want to feed your animals that stuff in the name of “nature”, be my guest. Not even a wild, starving beast would eat what goes into your pet food.

Summary: I hardly think it is a viable comparison…

11. 4lgdfriend says:

and let’s not forget: http://free.financialmail.co.z…../dfeat.htm
    Anyone buying a dog food marked “pure beef” would assume the beef content to be close to 100%. They would be wrong. To qualify as “pure”, the food needs to contain only 65% beef. The rest is fat, starch and additives. A food promising “beef flavour” has less than 4% beef, “with beef” at least 4%, “high in beef” means 14%, and “beef dinner” is 26%.
    “They may seem low percentages but these are globalised definitions,” says Hundley. “The SA industry is following standards set in the rest of the world.”

12. 4lgdfriend says:

ah. I feel better now ;-)

13. Genny says:

Helen,

I’ve seen remains from my cats’ bird hunts, too. Sometimes they want even eat the mice/rats, just toss and play till they want move any longer then place them in the exact spot where I’ll take my first step out on the porch. I always wondered why they didn’t always eat them. Think they could tell they weren’t edible for some reason?

14. Kiki says:

Helen: what is the “whatnot” portion that is left by your pets? Just curious????

15. Kiki says:

yes - meal = rendered…

16. Kiki says:

Ah, K’s ppl are here!!

meal= processed

personally i think we should have meal rating standards in meals that are not by-product meals and ones that are.

we should prob do the same with glutens and protein concentrates.

on the labels that is . .

18. Kiki says:

The problem is rendering plants per se. The problem is linking rendering plants with pet food. They need to use the product of rendering (which is a supposedly environmentally sound way of dealing with carcasses) for some other non-nutritional purpose - such as non-agricultural fertilizer or something of that nature.

Secondly, vets can’t be disposing of deceased pets via a lucrative account with renderingmanUSA without explicit informed consent from the pet owner. In other words, vets need to be explicit as to what they will do with the body - please let the pet owner choose what is best. I never realized how much money vets made as a result of our deceased pets - we pay them to dispose of our pets remains (unless we pay extra for cremation), then the vets get paid by the rendering plant based on how many dead pets he has every week, then the vet gets paid a % of pet food sales, which include the dead pet that was rendered…talk about double, triple dipping…sorry, but it is what it is. I know vet techs who have told me the dirty little secrets. INFORMED CONSENT is what it is all about baby….and what happens to be supremely lacking in these pet industries.

19. Kiki says:

I’m sorry - I meant to say that rendering plants are NOT the problem per se…

20. Zoe says:

Sounds like “Linda” (May 16th, 2007 at 12:28 pm) works for a “premium” pet food company.

21. Zoe says:

I meant to add:

Go Steve!

forgot to mention. i feed my pets by-products. fresh ones, but by products just the same. i may find chicken feet disgusting, but they don’t ;)

23. Kiki says:

Oh yeah - a mole - but definitely not a troll.

24. Kiki says:

I thinking picking and choosing your by-products is great - no problem there - fresh by-products - no problem in my eyes.

25. Genny says:

“”Ah, K’s ppl are here!!” or alter egos.

*back to biting tongue*

Kiki: The occasional bone, organ, head, tail. I am talking about prey that was eaten. Sometimes they would bring them as gifts, but the ones they ate, they did not eat the “by products”. They ate the parts they could digest. Who would have thought? OK, I know some predators including housecats do eat the occasional foot, head, or feather. Ours never did that I could see.

Kiki Says:
    May 16th, 2007 at 5:03 pm

is there back up somewhere that supports vets getting paid for turning over deceased pets for rendering? and if it’s an old source, anything recent?

the only *disposal* service i’ve been offered from vets has been mass or separate cremation (spelled out, not just “do you want us to dispose of the body?”)

28. Kiki says:

ooops sorry to bring it up…just happy to see ya!

29. YaYa says:

4lgdfriend says: ah. I feel better now ;-)
    LMBO! Toooo funny!

Yes it’s True this stuff has been in the Pet foods for years. And the classification are standard and Meat by-products and By products are 2 different things etc. And that Pure don’t mean diddley as far as Percentage.

We’ve Learned. Now we must Politely educate folks as we go.

I’d no more give someone a hard time about their choices or what’s available to them at that time etc., than any thing.
    Just stive to do better, it’s All we can do. THEN the Levels will Elevate to what we ALL have Thought and All Want NOW!
    Use what you’ve learned, do it decently and not in a smallify em’ way. With class and knowledge.

If someone is Open to listening, Explain it.
    If someone Ask, Explain it.

But remember it’s Tough to change the ingrained and what’s feed to us on TV everyday since WE were kids.
    YOU can’t change Anyone. It’s up to them to do it by choice after being given the Knowledge.

You catch alot more with honey. Well at least for the next 4 years you might! :-P
    Thank you Einstein! :-D

30. Kiki says:

I’m sure I can find info on this - it’s routine. In fact, one southern town decided that they didn’t want anymore dead pets to go to the rendering plant and the carcasses started piling up. The cost to build a mass cremation system was too expensive and so they buried the animals in a landfill. Then the environmentalists were concerned about the effects of that on the environment - it was a good story. I hope to find it for you and post or something like it.

31. Angelique says:

The kitties may leave the feathers, but the doggies leave NOTHING when I give them a whole unplucked chicken, feets and all. Mmmmm, yummy fresh by products, just like nature intended.

32. Angelique says:

My understanding from a friend who works at a veterinary clinic is that “mass burial” really means “local landfill.”

33. YaYa says:

The animals will leave the Bile ducts and bile too {blech it green}. My cat would leave the wings and tails for sure and feet.
    He’d open the animals and eat “inside of” the hair/fur.
    Of course the more I tamed him {he was totally wild} the less he’d eat outside, but still had a habit now and then. {which seems scary now, he like the in the house stuff!}
    He liked the homemade wih some canned.
    He became a total Housecat and even slept with me. Was a “guard” cat and would growl with “things” that did not ‘belong there’ etc. He was Awesome.

The Vet tech girls were Terrified of him due to his teeth and paws and size LOL
    *I* would have to go back to pick him up out of the kennels after his few surgeries {abcesses}, they would not bring him to me! :-D

What a melt in your arms cat he was with me!
    Vet said he was part wild cat from his incisors alone.
    Had wispy peaks of fur on his ear tips too.

Just seemed like a Great cat to me :-D

34. martin says:

This could be the prime time for someone to start a making pet food that utilizes only USDA inspected meats and products ( ? wondering if they really inspect squat). None of the B - C - D or F grade. Just the prime A+ grade.
    Sure it would triple in cost but I do believe most of us would rather pay for good quality A+ food rather than spend it in the vets office or at the pet cemetery.

Now, the big question I ask myself:
    “isnt that what you thought you were buying 3 months ago” ?????

35. mittens says:

my semi feral torties eat the feathers off their pet toys….and i had a calico who ate a racoon skin cap she dragged out of a closed drawer and ripped to bits. call of the wild.

Martin, as far as I know, that is just what Evy has tried to do with Kumpi. And it costs $22 for four pounds of cat food. From everything I have read, it is worth it. Email Evy and ask her what’s in there. Her email is on the website.

37. Kiki says:

From the Humane Society Website:

What is Rendering?

Rendering factories process animal bodies (usually those of livestock but sometimes those of companion animals) into products such as tallow and fertilizer. Some pet caregivers, viewing their pet’s spirit as distinct from the body, choose to have their pet’s body rendered so the remains can be put to further use. Your local animal care and control agency or veterinarian should be able to advise you on the availability of this option in your community.

38. lacy says:

LorieVa
    Sorry this is totally off subject, but are you the same Lorie with Geisha? If so, have you heard from the vet who was getting California Natural and Wellness tested?? I am so curious because I was considering feeding CN canned since it is made at the south dakota plant, and supposedly that plant hasnt had recalls and natura is testing for melamine. But I would really like to know if she got those results.

39. martin says:

Thanks Helen.

It would be worth it. Are you using Kumpi?

I know a cat who eats string. He has narrowly escaped death and surgery, as he will eat string, rubber bands, dental floss, or any stringy thing he finds in the garbage. Some children eat dirt. That does not make it all healthy as a PRIMARY food ingredient, and your cat, dog, or child does not obtain good nutrition from hair, fingernails, string, feet, beaks, feathers, dirt, feces, and raccoon skin. Angelique, since you give your dogs a whole chicken, they are getting the guts, meat, fat and all along with. Then the by products come out the other end. I am more annoyed (translation: OUTRAGED BEYOND REPAIR) at all these companies charging excessively high premium prices for food (including prescription food) that has no digestible meat in it and then telling us this hair, hooves, feathers, and poison infested grain sweepings are “complete and balanced nutrition” for our pets!

41. YaYa says:

One of my 1st Orientals years ago used to eat holes in one of my Wool blankets. Does this count for eating everything? LOL
    {on top of she was a Nut cat :-) }

Actually she was what they call a “Wool Sucker”. An oddity for some cats.

Martin, I’m not, but I will be if anything changes about Natura. People like Kumpi so much it’s been referred to as a cult on the petfoodlist forum. LOL People can’t say enough nice stuff about it. I only said that because it sounds like something you would be interested in trying. There is a Kumpi for dogs and one for cats, both dry. Evy created the food so she would have something safe to feed her own pets. I emailed her some questions and she answered right back. I would not hesitate to try it, but I am happy with the dry right now because at least my little fuss-budget agreed to change dry foods. :)

43. Zoe says:

“What is Rendering?

Remember, regardless of which method you ultimately select to handle your pet’s body, your pet will always be close to your heart.”

So you can remember them every time you spread fertilizer on your lawn or burn a candle or use some soap (tallow) ? ewww! I certainly didn’t know that about rendering.

China says pet food ingredient chemical-free

May 16, 2007

SHANGHAI, China - China says checks on food exporters have turned up no sign of a chemical blamed for the deaths of cats and dogs in North America, and urged U.S. authorities to refrain from further action against Chinese producers.

The government body responsible for overseeing food safety said it accompanied U.S. Food and Drug Administration inspectors on visits to two companies blamed for the chemical contamination.

i don’t know, not seeing many pet parents willing to render their pets body into pet food . . . .

Steve: Denial is good for dewallet.

47. YaYa says:

WoW, now I DO feel all safe and warm and cozy! The Chinese say——

I expected Nothing less. Sorry I was wrong. But I Will Not Forget. For the REST of my Life! The SOB’s!

Even if WE are Banned here at Itchmo. I Sure hope their Government Is READING!

martin Says:

martin, there are a handful of companies out there that do produce this type of food. also, certified organic pet foods may have to follow along. in certified organic, pet foods follow the same rules as people certified organic. the one downside i have seen though, is some are a bit grain heavy, imo. i’m guessing it may be partly do to making it still *affordable*

for me, i make the food. the ultra premium brands that i would feed my pets cost the same or more than what i make for them.

49. lainie says:

When I Said By Products Werent The Problem I Meant Healthy Animal Parts Not Road Kill And Rotting Flesh Ppl. Even The Dogs And Cats That Leave Most Of Thr Kill For Us To Clean Up Have Ingested Some Fur And Feathers In Tearing Open Thr Dinner. My Cats Think A Mouse Is A Toy If 1 Has The Misfortune To Wander In. But I Was Talking Strays In The Street. Whn I Stated They Eat Thr Kill They Have No Human Supplyn Brkfast Lunch And Dinner. Where I Am All Animals Must Be Either Mass Cremated Or Individually And Know The Vet Tech Very Well There Is No Rendering Of Pet Corpses. The Fee To Dispose Of A Dead Animal Lazt Time I Had To Was $75.00 For My Husky 14yrz Ago Cant Imagine What Its Up To Now. And The Fines For Burying In Your Back Yard Are Also High. So Thr Are Some Places Doing The Right Thing By Our Pets. Or Trying To

50. Kiki says:

Yeah, in reality, the vets and humans society aren’t explicit in telling us how they dispose of pets - but they should be.

Now if you go on the rendering association website, you will see a document that has a breakdown of stuff. Anything that is called meat is not swine, poultry, beef, lamb, etc…since all other rendered animal is explicit. Thus, meat must be road kill and pets. In the non-edible section, there is a notation that says that non-edibles go into pet food. It’s right there if you dig through it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All