First it was Kate Collins from Pennsylvania. Then it was Sherri Shelton from Indiana. And now there is Vicki Stone from California, and Jodi Zeremski also from Pennsylvania (Zeremski’s dog pictured here).
All four women say that chicken jerky strips purchased from Wal-Mart caused their dogs to die or become ill. And still there has been no official recall on these chicken jerky strips.
Stone said Doc, her five-year-old Shih Tzu, loved these China-made chicken jerky strips. He normally is a picky eater, but he scarfed these dog treats down.
In July, Stone’s husband saw a sale on these chicken jerky strips at Wal-Mart, and he bought two packages. A week and a half later, Doc started having health problems.
Doc’s veterinarian, Dr. Chris Holmes, said Doc went into kidney failure and may not survive. If he does survive, his kidneys will function at about 20 percent, and Doc may not live past another two years.
“We didn’t know until today that Stone was feeding those treats, but when we did it immediately clicked. The dog is experiencing obvious kidney failure due to this melamine from the Bestro chicken strips, the same exact brand has been recalled before, and we have had problems with other animals being poisoned by melamine from a previous recall of pet food in March,” said Dr. Holmes.
Dr. Holmes said they looked into all the causes of kidney failure and knew that it was some other toxin than anti-freeze. He said Doc is doing better after treatment, but they are uncertain how long he has.
According to Dr. Holmes, three dogs under his care died from the pet food recalls earlier this year. A biopsy of one of the dog’s kidneys was conducted and it was confirmed the dog had died of melamine poisoning from the tainted dog food products.
Stone is upset and she wants to know why Wal-Mart didn’t alert the public about these tainted products. She said it is a lack of responsibility and she plans to take the $6,000 vet bills for Doc to the store to demand reimbursement.
“I’m going to take this all the way because I think it’s hurting people, especially in this area where people can’t afford to shop in a fancy pet store,” said Stone.
Dr. Holmes added that he would not buy any food product from Wal-Mart.
Another woman also claims that her dog died from the chicken jerky strips bought from Wal-Mart. Pittsburgh resident Jodi Zeremski said her chihuahua, Taco, became ill and had to be put down after he ate the chicken jerky strips. Taco’s veterinarian said he died of kidney failure.
“Those were the only treats we bought. That was the only other thing that dog ate,â€ Zeremski said.