Speaking of human foods not to feed your dog, National Geographic Magazine has a similar list online that includes lovely photos (of course) and neat-o clickable red spots that pop into windows describing why you shouldn’t feed your dog those things that you shouldn’t feed your dog (like coffee and grapes and chocolate).
(Just between you and me, a simple list that I could tape to the fridge might be more effective, but those really are some nice pictures, and everybody has a different learning style, so who am I to say one way is right and the other way is wrong, especially when we’re talking about National Geographic, for crying out loud? Who do I think I’m criticizing here?)
Also check out their chocolate chart, which attempts to estimate how much chocolate it takes to make your dog really really sick (though, here again, I’m thinking a good rule of thumb is “don’t give your dog any chocolate at all,” but I also recognize that when the toddler drops half his cookie from the high chair, you might want to know whether or not you should rush Charlie the Border Terrier to the vet or not).
What’s your experience with these foods? Has your dog eaten them? Did they get sick?
My own experience is that it’s sometimes impossible to keep a dog from eating what he or she isn’t supposed to. For instance, I know for certain that my dogs will never ever eat grapes… except when aforementioned toddler tosses individual grapes diagonally over the table, as if to quiet a bombing comic (me), at which point there is not enough time for a dog to decide whether the projectile is edible or not… it is time simply to catch and swallow. Though she did not get sick afterwards, I did remove said projectile from reach of said toddler, and we take care to mention to him that the puppies do not eat grapes and he is not to give the puppies grapes under any circumstances (sometimes this even works).