More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled

On May 2, SmartPak recalled all orders of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received on May 2. After their first recall of LiveSmart Weight Management Chicken and Brown Rice, SmartPak sent all of their other dog food for testing, and Adult Lamb and Brown Rice came back with positive results. SmartPak is dry food and is made by Chenango Valley.

SmartPak is saying that this is odd because this particular dog food doesn’t contain any rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or any of the other ingredients that are on FDA’s import watch list. They are saying it may be cross-contamination. (Oh by the way, it took 48 hours for the FDA to put up the press release).

NOTE: Many Menu Foods clients affected by Wednesday’s recall expansion are finally issuing their own press releases. Those companies are already listed in our recall list. Use our search feature to find news on affected brands.

The full release after the jump.

(Thanks Mike)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Plymouth, MA – May 3, 2007 –On 5/02/07, SmartPak Canine executed a voluntary nationwide recall on all lots of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice food. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received earlier in the day.

The LiveSmart Lamb formula is only sold in portion-paks shipped straight to the consumer’s home each month, so there are no bags of potentially affected product on store shelves anywhere in the country. The focus of the recall has been informing affected customers via telephone, email, and letter. Ninety-nine percent of the roughly 220 pet owners feeding LiveSmart Adult Lamb via its portion pak pet food subscription service were contacted by live phone contact or message, and/or email. The company has had live contact with the majority of affected pet owners, and is continuing an aggressive outreach program to ensure that the notification has been received. To reduce likelihood of pet owners continuing to feed the food, replacement product is being shipped to affected customers free of charge.

At the time the recall was initiated, there had not been any ill effects reported in dogs. Through the efforts to reach out to all customers, the company has become aware of two instances of vomiting and learned that a 10 year old Rottweiler had passed away two weeks previous to the recall. These reports have been forwarded to FDA and are being investigated by the company’s Medical Director to determine if they are connected with the LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula. The company has asked that any dogs showing signs of kidney illness (loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst) be seen by their veterinarian.

The company is presently investigating the source of the contamination in conjunction with its contract manufacturer, Chenango Valley Pet Food. The LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula does not contain rice protein concentrate nor wheat gluten. All the meat and vegetable matter, with the exception of New Zealand lamb, is of US origin. It appears that the product may have been cross contaminated at the Chenango plant by a prior batch of food unassociated with SmartPak that contained an ingredient that had been contaminated with melamine.

SmartPak has also tested each of its other four brands for melamine contamination, and there was no melamine detected in the samples of these foods. Those brands are LiveSmart Adult Chicken and Brown Rice, LiveSmart Senior Chicken and Brown Rice, and LiveSmart Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice.

Questions regarding this recall may be directed to Paal Gisholt, the company’s president and CEO, who may be reached at 800 461-8898. Affected customers are asked to call the company’s toll free customer service number at 800 461-8898, which is available 24/7. Additional information will be reported on the company’s website as it becomes available.

367 Responses to “More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Show All

1. LovingMyPets says:

Eric, and teric,

When the results are known later today, and you find that there is nothing wrong with them, I realized everyone will be so relieved. However, how can one be sure the next batch and lots won’t have something in them or that they’ve been cross contaminated? Would you trust any other batches and feed them to your pets?

2. Claudette says:

What about Purina and Meow Mix, both dry for cats. Anything, against either of these????? I feed both for my feral cats and am worried that I have missed something about either or both.

3. Eric says:

LovingMyPets,
    There is no real way to know for sure.

I just e-mailed Evy with Kumpi about the potential for cross contamination. She has already contacted her manufacturer (Crosswind Industries), about this and will hopefully have any answer from them sometime today.

Guys on the subject of KUMPIKAT Evy saw my post about being fearful of getting the first bad bag, she tooka chance and figured out by the unique spelling of my first name and mached it with my order info, and called me personally we talked for well over an hour she is a fabulous woman and really cares about our animals. Also told me about the Crosswinds testing all her product before bagging it etc…………………Now remember she called me after i all ready bought the bag of food not the other way around. Now that is what I call someone who cares. She told me several wonderful stories, and also how she became a pet food provider, after her own personal loss of a beloved pet.

5. Eric says:

Lorie,
    I have a very hard time putting trust in someone, but Evy is rapidly earning mine. She is always ready to answer every question in the fullest, and if she doesn’t know the answer, she finds it for me. I’ll be sure to let everyone know what she tells me about potential cross contamination. Hopefully it won’t be a possibility or an issue.

6. Tiff says:

Eric,

You mentioned cross contamination. Were there any other foods made by Crosswind Industries that were recalled? I have a hard time keeping up with them all!

LovingMyPets ,

That is my biggest fear about anything right now it is from one bag or can to the next you might get the bad one, it islike Russian Roullette with your pets life. Example only: fancy Feast i bought here in VA was from a tainted batch but that batch may never have touched the West coast and those people think I am crazy for saying itmade my cats sik. Trust me I wish they were right and i was just plain crazy instead of teh vet bills and worries of what is next in line for health issues from this.

8. robin says:

I’d like to know if Pied Piper or Evangers makes any food with ingredients from China. I’d feel better if I knew that.

9. Eric says:

Tiff,
    No, Crosswind doesn’t make any of the (so far) recalled foods. The only two pet foods that I know they make are Kumpi/KumpiKat and Nature’s Logic. Neither of these foods use wheat gluten, rice protein, corn gluten, soy protein, etc. They also make human food there, which could potentially have wheat gluten in it. That’s where my concern comes in.

10. Eric says:

Pied Piper just had their name removed from The Pet Food List’s manufacturers area of the site. That seems a bit odd and suspicious.

11. Ann H says:

I guess I’m not understanding how enough of the contaminant could possibly be left after a processing run on the machines/storage to affect so many other products.

teric,

Welcome back! We were afraid the black ‘choppers came and got you.

BTW, has anyone received compensation on their vet bills from any of the recalled companies?

13. LovingMyPets says:

Lorie,

I sure know what you mean! I was feeding my kitten the Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea dry . . . 1 bag only. Then the recall came and I thought I was going to lose it. My kitten was fine, but I rushed to the Vet for blood work. She was normal. When I talked to NB, they indicated that I had an OLD batch and lot number expiring July 08 and it should be fine, and the bad bags with the gluten in them were expiring Sept. 08

Wow, I sure was lucky I got an OLD bag. I’m the one at the market always digging and looking for the freshest products. Yikes!

14. Eric says:

Ann H.,
    The whole cross contamination thing does seem a bit fishy. Maybe, for once, Menu and other companies are just being safe. But I think it’s more likely though that we have more adding of ingredients without consent, etc.

15. ally says:

I just love shift+command+4 on a Mac. Visual aids are so fun, ain’t they?
    Lucky I had that page pulled up & didn’t refresh, eh?

16. Eric says:

Ally,
    Yeah, Pied Piper we’re listed at the bottom of the page earlier, but in its place it now says:

“Please note that as of 5/04/07 one manufacturer has had issues with their company name being listed here. They have been removed.”

17. robin says:

Another question that I am going to start asking is who procures the ingredients, the pet food company or the manufacturer. I would guess the manufacturer. Too many actors involved, I want a product made in house and those are few and far between.

18. Ann H says:

Eric,

If they are adding additional ingredients to the formula, then the reasoning would be what? Boosting protein in the product? Isn’t the product recipe supposed to be sufficiently balanced already?

19. Carol says:

5cat mom- in regards to reimbursement-I sent my information packets for my 2 cats off to Menu on Monday–I’ll post as soon as I get any type of response back, good news or bad. I did have the help of a local reporter NBC affiliate in RI who ran my 2 cats story on 3/17-3/19 and who talked to the Media rep on 3/17 at Menu (I copied down all info before it disappeared from website)and he gave her my name and cats’ info and she told him they would pay so I’ll be contacting him if they change their mind—never mind having in it in print that they would reimburse pet owners–my only concern is that they may ask for concrete proof such as lab work for which there is no test done on live animals (as I know of today-if I’m wrong—LET ME KNOW!!))

20. ally says:

Eric - the screenie I grabbed used to be under Canine Caviar.
    And another one joins the “now you see it, now you don’t” list.

But yes indeedy I can see it. Yep.
    *pats hard drive & smiles angelically*

21. Eric says:

Ann H.,
    I have no idea why the manufacturers would do this, but American Nutrition supposedly did it to a whole load of companies’ products, so there’s no reason to think that Menu or any others would be above it.

Ann H,

Many posters aren’t buying the “cross contamination” story.

Me neither. Too many companies, too many foods are affected by yet another round of recalls.

One theory is that the contract company makes the same food for everyone, and only the bag is different.

23. Eric says:

5CatMom,
    I had never considered the ’same food’ theory. Interesting…

24. teric says:

LovingMyPets,

We can not be assured that the next bag we buy is or isnt safe. If I am told that the bags I have now are safe then I plan to purchase several of the largest bags available of the same kind. I’ll scoop some out of each bag and have those tested prior to feeding it to my kids. Doing this is the only way I’ll feel 100% certain that what I’m feeding is safe.

I made some homemade food last weekend only to find out about the toxic chickens. “?” I’m going to throw it out.

25. teric says:

Ally,

What does this mean. Canidae is made by Pied Piper.

26. Gail B says:

“Isn’t the product recipe supposed to be sufficiently balanced already?”

The formulation may be balanced, but the raw ingredients on hand may not exactly match the “blueprint”. When packaged or bagged the raw ingredients may have tested XX%, but time and storage conditions may degrade the ingredients.

The manufacturer could then be adding ingredients (like RPC) to boost the values to the required levels. In the case of the two companies who had RPC added without their knowledge or consent, that might be why their product formulations were “adjusted”.

27. Eric says:

Teric,
    For some reason it seems that Canidae doesn’t want anyone to know who makes their food and Pied Piper doesn’t want anyone to know what food they make. It’s all strange if you ask me, especially since the Pied Piper website says they’re “100% wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate free”. You’d think they’d want people to know what food they make.

28. Debra says:

Could be the contract companies were buying lower cost, lower quality ingredients and supplementing with RPC to get the guaranteed analysis back to where it’s supposed to be. I’d like to know what kind of arrangement there was between the companies - “if ingredient X is unavailable, you can substitute or supplement with ___” or “no substitutions.”

29. Carol says:

Has anyone seen or heard feedback regaarding whether the tainted chicken/pork made its way back into pet food–NV, OMH, and Merrick did not have any answers yesterday. No new updates at their websites. Meriick did say to call back in 2 days as they were looking into it –as well as OMH said they were doing the same and would post it on their website-no email back from NV yet.

30. Ann H says:

Gail B, kinda sounds like the China syndrome :(

31. teric says:

Yes Eric you would think that. You would think they would be proud of the fact not hide it????? Really draws a concern for me.

Carol,

Good for you. Getting reimbursed won’t make sick kitties well or bring back dead ones, but maybe it’ll make the companies think about the poison they put their names on.

To Claudette Says,

Hon, don’t mean to be critical, but it might be best to avoid all BIG BRANDS and STORE BRANDS for a while because of their (other) recalled products.

33. ally says:

teric at 2:15 pm:
    “What does this mean. Canidae is made by Pied Piper.”

I know.
    Which is why I’ve been watching everything recall related like a HAWK.
    I’m currently using Canidae’s kibble.

My dogs are still doin’ fine though.
    Thank Yahvo.

Have started adding home cooked to their kibble for practice just in case.
    My dogs love it. Heck, they eat better than I do.

34. Ann H says:

Well, if Canidae is Pied Piper, the Felidae is made by them too?

If they’re doing that, then I’m trashing the Felidae my cats are eating.

If they’re hiding, then they got something to hide. Where there’s smoke there’s fire…

I’ve already fed recalled, I am not chancing it watching this poor judgment /worse PR move by Pied Piper or Canidae.

35. Danielle says:

The listing on thepetfoodlist.com only listed Pied Piper as making Canine Caviar. Canidae wasn’t listed there (yet), at least not last time I checked. Maybe they didn’t want people thinking they produced the contaminated Canine Caviar?

36. Sandi K says:

I cant help but think what everyone is thinking is “cross-contamination” is still yet an unidentified toxin…..

37. ally says:

Eric: “For some reason it seems that Canidae doesn’t want anyone to know who makes their food and Pied Piper doesn’t want anyone to know what food they make.”

I’s been conjectured on the blogs that Canidae may be under some type of legality/contract thingy with Pied Piper and can’t disclose. I honestly don’t know, but it is odd.

38. Danielle says:

Ann H.,
    Pied Piper makes the Canidae dry. I’m assuming they made Felidae too. The Canidae & Felidae canned is made by Evangers.

39. robin says:

Is any product recalled made by Pied Piper?

40. CathyA says:

Teric said: I’m having it tested for everything that has been even slightly mentioned. Melamine, Aminopterin, Amilorine, Amiloride & Cyanuric Acid.

Bless you! This is one of my MAJOR questions, is amiloride IN the food or did the cat/dog metabolize it from something else. Please also be sure to notify Christie at PC and maybe even send an email to Dr. Pion.

# Ann H Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Ann H - it’s to make up % protein in place of pricey meat. Needless to say RPC doesn’t have the same amino acid profile as meat. While a pet food company may not explicitly know what a pet food manufacturer put in the food (We didn’t know they were doing that!), certainly when they sign a contract with a manufacturer to produce their food at a certain price, they must implicitly understand that when ingredient costs go up, the ingredients may change. If they don’t have clauses to forbid substitution they’re condoning it.

41. Ann H says:

It’s the dry that I’m using.
    Note: WAS using. I just dumped the bowls and the rest of the Felidae.

42. Sandi K says:

Teric, can I ask how much the test is costing you, just for our sake? We will be getting our poor girl’s food tested at some point after we get $6000.00 in vet and cremation bills paid off. And did you have to go thru a vet or would they allow you to send samples on your own? Thank you Teric, what you are doing is wonderful and helps us all!

43. Eric says:

As far as I know, nothing made by Pied Piper has been recalled.

44. Katie says:

Katie ( the other Katie)

New Symptoms: Help!

Just rec’d word from vet this AM, that urine test done on Tues, has blood in it, not RBC’s but blood. Sp G is still abnormal and protein positive. Not showing symptoms of infection - having a cysto and culture next Fri. But wondering, if this has happened to anyone else? Mine is a dog. But cat or dog?

Thanks Itchmo, you’re the greatest!

Katie

Eric,

To me, it just defies credulity that a contract company would stop the production line, clean out all the equipment, reload the hoppers with the “good stuff”, run get the bags for the premium company, then start up the line again.

Much easier to just keep the production line running and change bags. This explains why there’s RPC in the food (but not in the recipe), and why the “cross contamination” is widespread.

You guys i have been trying to sy do you really think ANI in UTAH, just decided to start using a new ingredient for Blue Buffalo and way across the country CJ Foods decided to do the same to the dry kitten formula for Blue Buffalo. Blue Buffalo told both themanufactures to use the cheaper ingredients because suppliers raised there prices across the boards in Oct-Nov. Blue Buffalo was cutting costs one the sly without changing the bags and now trying to say they knew nothing about it, to save face cause they got caught with their pants down. Think about it do you really think ANI and CJ foods both decided to go behind their back ………………..

47. ally says:

robin Says: at 2:30 pm
    “Is any product recalled made by Pied Piper?”

I believe it was some of Canine Caviar’s wet food that was recalled and made by Pied Piper.

48. robin says:

Eric,

I think you are correct.

49. ally says:

From Canine Caviar’s website: http://www.caninecaviar.com/

“Canine Caviar is voluntarily recalling less than 1500 cans in circulation nationally (not cases) and expects to have this collected within 48 hours of April 27, 2007. This unexpected situation is due to the fact that our canned food co-packer was using ingredients that were not authorized by Canine Caviar.”

Previously, the Pet Food List had Pied Piper listed as a manufacturer of Canine Caviar.
    That is the screen grab I have.

Canine Cavier was made at ANI