More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled

On May 2, SmartPak recalled all orders of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received on May 2. After their first recall of LiveSmart Weight Management Chicken and Brown Rice, SmartPak sent all of their other dog food for testing, and Adult Lamb and Brown Rice came back with positive results. SmartPak is dry food and is made by Chenango Valley.

SmartPak is saying that this is odd because this particular dog food doesn’t contain any rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or any of the other ingredients that are on FDA’s import watch list. They are saying it may be cross-contamination. (Oh by the way, it took 48 hours for the FDA to put up the press release).

NOTE: Many Menu Foods clients affected by Wednesday’s recall expansion are finally issuing their own press releases. Those companies are already listed in our recall list. Use our search feature to find news on affected brands.

The full release after the jump.

(Thanks Mike)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Plymouth, MA – May 3, 2007 –On 5/02/07, SmartPak Canine executed a voluntary nationwide recall on all lots of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice food. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received earlier in the day.

The LiveSmart Lamb formula is only sold in portion-paks shipped straight to the consumer’s home each month, so there are no bags of potentially affected product on store shelves anywhere in the country. The focus of the recall has been informing affected customers via telephone, email, and letter. Ninety-nine percent of the roughly 220 pet owners feeding LiveSmart Adult Lamb via its portion pak pet food subscription service were contacted by live phone contact or message, and/or email. The company has had live contact with the majority of affected pet owners, and is continuing an aggressive outreach program to ensure that the notification has been received. To reduce likelihood of pet owners continuing to feed the food, replacement product is being shipped to affected customers free of charge.

At the time the recall was initiated, there had not been any ill effects reported in dogs. Through the efforts to reach out to all customers, the company has become aware of two instances of vomiting and learned that a 10 year old Rottweiler had passed away two weeks previous to the recall. These reports have been forwarded to FDA and are being investigated by the company’s Medical Director to determine if they are connected with the LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula. The company has asked that any dogs showing signs of kidney illness (loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst) be seen by their veterinarian.

The company is presently investigating the source of the contamination in conjunction with its contract manufacturer, Chenango Valley Pet Food. The LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula does not contain rice protein concentrate nor wheat gluten. All the meat and vegetable matter, with the exception of New Zealand lamb, is of US origin. It appears that the product may have been cross contaminated at the Chenango plant by a prior batch of food unassociated with SmartPak that contained an ingredient that had been contaminated with melamine.

SmartPak has also tested each of its other four brands for melamine contamination, and there was no melamine detected in the samples of these foods. Those brands are LiveSmart Adult Chicken and Brown Rice, LiveSmart Senior Chicken and Brown Rice, and LiveSmart Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice.

Questions regarding this recall may be directed to Paal Gisholt, the company’s president and CEO, who may be reached at 800 461-8898. Affected customers are asked to call the company’s toll free customer service number at 800 461-8898, which is available 24/7. Additional information will be reported on the company’s website as it becomes available.

367 Responses to “More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled”

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 » Show All

1. johnypaycut says:

Kudo’s for KumpiKat!! ,
    When does it become available for us , outsiders (non-colorado)?
    i’d buy it.. ( after evy’s done being tested for melamine)?
    see , she never had to try and sell us on kumpi?
    i’l buy !

2. robin says:

Thanks all,

Then that does it for me with Canidae and Felidae made by Pied Piper. All raw for my crew.

3. Eric says:

I believe Lorie is correct, that the Canine Cavier that was recalled was wet and made by ANI.

4. Sindawe says:

I’ve had similar experiences with one cat who was on Royal Canin control formula, both dry and canned. He would eat the food, then about 10-15 min later puke it back up (usually on the carpet). I’ve switched him to Evo dry and Wellness canned (before the issue with Wellness arose), no more puking up the food even though he gobbles the Evo as fast as he can.

Another cat was on the RC Control and about six months the formulation changed somehow. Consistency of the canned changed and that cat who used to devour his evening meal would just pick at it and leave most uneaten. This same cat who for years has had lots of dander and dry skin, now has none.

No more Royal Canin in this house.

5. Danielle says:

The recalled Canine Caviar was made by ANI. That was recalled because of the rice protein, along with NB. Pied Piper makes the Canine Caviar dry, which was not recalled. Pied Piper’s website states that their facility is 100% gluten and rice protein concentrate free.

The Canine Caviar listing on thepetfoodlist used to say that their dry was made at Pied Piper, but now says that info was removed at the manufacturer’s request and now just says that the kibble is made at a private plant in TX.

6. Eric says:

johnypaycut,
    I ordered Kumpi and KumpiKat from the website, but’s it’s also available in a handful of states from independent retailers.

7. Jo says:

Hi, all. Have been checking Itchmo, howl911 & petconnection several times each day since the beginning of the recall to keep my self abreast of all the madness. I have 10 cats & a French Bulldog to keep safe.

I am new to this blog posting, however. Love reading your posts! The info & insight you provide is SO helpful! My heart goes out to all of you who have lost your precious babies & to those who are fighting illness.

My question is: Several of you have praised KumpiKat. It’s owner sounds really great, but why should I get excited about feeding this food when it contains rice flour? Regardless of whether or not the rice flour is tainted, why do they put such an ingredient in a cat food, and then put such a hefty price on it? I just don’t see where their food shines so much over others like CA Natural, Felidae, Nature’s Variety, etc. that warrants paying such a high price. Comments from those of you who feed it?

BTW, I have tried all 3 canned formulas & all 3 dry formulas of Felidae on my cats & they would just NOT go for it. Beats all I’ve ever seen. And like some of you, I’m bothered as to why Canidae does not publicize who their manufacturers are.

I am currently feeding CA Natural Chicken & Brown Rice dry & the cats love it. I have given them samples of tons of different premium foods since the recall & this food — plus Sensible Choice Senior (their previous dry food) are the 2 they love BY FAR.

Canned cat foods I’ve had good luck with, acceptance wise, are Sensible Choice & SOME of the Merrick formulas. The cats really liked Natural Balance Ultra, too, but I don’t trust NB anymore.

Love you all — feel a strong kinship with you because of all this. We must stick together & fight for our fur kids!

ORIGINAL POST: Itchmo has learned that the list of foods recalled by American Nutrition has expanded to include the following 4 dog food items:

Mulligan Stew Chicken 13.2oz
    Mulligan Stew Turkey 13.2oz
    Canine Caviar Gourmet Beaver 13.2oz
    Canine Caviar Gourmet Turkey 13.2oz

9. ally says:

Eric - yes, ANI has the recalled Canine Caviar listed on their site.
    But that doesn’t explain why CC requested Pied Piper be removed from their previous information listing.

10. Sandy says:

Hey Johnyaycut…..order the KUMPIKAT off her website it cost a small amount to have it fed exed but it is good and my cats love it. I love how small the kibble is

11. ally says:

Danielle Says: at 2:51 pm
    “The Canine Caviar listing on thepetfoodlist used to say that their dry was made at Pied Piper”

Not according to the old web site for the Pet Food List’s Canine Caviar info I’m looking at and took a screen grab of. I have both the old and revised windows open right now. The old version for Canine Caviar says:

“Manufacturer is Pied Piper”
    “# Kibble is manufactured at a private plant in Texas”

Pied Piper is located in Hamlin, TX.

Trust me, if Pied Piper doesn’t make CC’s dry, I’ll be thrilled in relation to Canidae. I have no problem if they do not. I’m just keeping a watch, like all the rest of you.

I honestly don’t trust ANYONE anymore & I doubt I’ll ever do so again.

12. Jo says:

For those of you looking for safer foods to eat — and may be interested in feeding raw diets…Just read a detailed brochure from Primal Pet Foods (raw cat/dog foods based in San Francisco) given to me by a local retailer. They say, “All of the ingredients found in Primal Formulas are purchased from local suppliers who are recognized for their superior quality human-grade products & the highest standards of safe food handling.”

13. Jo says:

Sorry, in my last posting, I meant to type “safer food to FEED, not eat!” : )

14. Joan says:

I have noticed in my inquires to pet food companies - some messages come into my sent folder and some do not. My last inquiry in regards to Nature’s Variety raw rabbit did not register in my sent items. Why would they do this? I did copy and paste my second inquiry for my records, for what it’s worth.

In regards to NV I have no varification that I even sent a question to them.

15. ally says:

Danielle - sorry, I think we’re on the same page.
    The old listing didn’t say Pied Piper made the dry, but to me it is inferred.

Ally,

I am with you I am done trusting anyone. My cats have shown symptoms twice now since March 23rd not sure if the symptoms on April 27th were relapse or one of the new brands I was using. Hard to figure out what made your kids sick if none of the crap is ever put on the list becasue they lie. Done with commercial food probably for life. No specific food that my kids have eaten since day one is on that list.Other varities brands

Eukanubal dry, Fancy Feast, Hills SD C/D wet and dry

after recall started used Merrick, and Solid Gold Tuna thats it.

17. Anne says:

I’ve been reading all your posts for weeks now and this is the first time posting. I am still so confused with what foods to give my two cats. I have tried so many different brands, and have had no luck. The guys refuse to eat any of the new dry foods I have tried, including Natural Balance, Wellness, and Life’s Abundance. They will only eat their Nutro Max Cat lite. As for the wet foods, they turned up their noses at Merrick, Innova, California Natural, Natural Balance and any others I got. They will only eat Whiskas. I did just place an order for Kumpikat. I had sent an email to Evy and she responded the same day and said if they don’t like it she will refund the money. I thought I would take a chance.

18. Eric says:

Jo,
    All I can tell you about Kumpi and KumpiKat is contact Evy and ask her any questions you have. She’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions.

19. Eric says:

Anne,
    It seems that with KumpiKat, some cats love it right away and others take a while to warm up to it. Speaking from experience, my five cats all took a few days to warm up to it, but are all eating it now. So don’t give up right away, but also make sure your kitties aren’t starving themselves either.

““I’ve got some Royal Canin [U.S.] Urinary SO canned that was Rxd for my kitty who *suddenly* had bladder & kidney stones late last January (no prior history of UTI etc). He would get frothy & projectile vomit within 10 minutes of eating the Royal Canin, but no problems with his normal food.”

I’ve had similar experiences with one cat who was on Royal Canin control formula, both dry and canned. He would eat the food, then about 10-15 min later puke it back up (usually on the carpet). ”

Ditto to these two. My cats were both eating RC Urinary SO dry and started throwing up and not eating their food. One stopped playing (very unusual for this cat) and started hiding. After some vet trips and hydration (right at the start of the recalls - no tests done), I switched food and they both started playing a lot and had appetites. They were good on Fromm for a while but won’t touch the last bag for some odd reason. So I switched again to Evo. Will this ever stop?!

21. Danielle says:

Ally: I must have made the connection in my head too. I do think I read it somewhere though.

I still think the removal of the name has to do with confidentiality agreements rather than a problem at the plant. A few days ago someone on here was told by Pied Piper that PP could not disclose the names of anyone they manufacture for without the companies’ permission. Besides, hiding the name of who they manufacture for would not help them if the company had to issue a recall. So if there is a problem there now, it would become public knowledge anyway, and defeat the purpose of removing their name from the list.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t read the removal of the listing as meaning there is a problem at the plant. It sounds like a legal issue to me. Now if Teric’s tests come back that there is a problem with Canidae/Felidae, I will gladly eat my words.

22. ally says:

Danielle said:
    “I still think the removal of the name has to do with confidentiality agreements rather than a problem at the plant”

I do too. At least that’s my fondest hope and daily chant while feeding Canidae dry to my dogs and keeping a VERY close eye on them.

I will join you eating my words if need be. I have no problem whatsoever doing so. I DO have a problem with pet food companies not coming forward. In the case of Canidae or Evangers (both of which I’m feeding), they both better pray I don’t ever see them on the recall list.

Like I said earlier, I’ve begin my forays into home cooking to be prepared. Am adding to their kibble for now, but if need be, I’ll cook their entire meal. I know they would love it if I did. If only it didn’t take so much time, but if it comes to that, I’ll make time.

23. Bill says:

The following was just posted on Natura’s website.

Natura’s cans are made exclusively at the South Dakota plant which was not involved in making any of the recalled foods (including the latest announcement).This plant does not use wheat gluten, corn gluten or rice gluten in any of its production and therefore it is impossible for cross contamination to occur.
    Natura has tested all canned food (as well as our dry and baked treats) for the presence of melamine at an independent laboratory and have the results to confirm that all of these tests show that our products are free from melamine contamination.
    As of last week, Natura has instituted a policy whereby ALL production of cans, dry and baked treats is being tested for melamine before being released for sale.

24. Barb says:

Whoa………..wait a minute. WTF? So, who is Pied Piper? I feed all three dogs canidae dry lamb and rice. Should I be concerned? What is going on now. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I reading tooo many blogs?

25. Rhonda says:

Having lost all trust in NB we switched our 3 cats to KumpiKat a week ago today. All three dove into their bowls and seem to seldom come up for air! They love this food and in 7 days have already eaten half the bag of food or more.

Have had far more problems trying to find a canned food that they are willing to eat and that I’m willing to feed. They wouldn’t eat Merrick so I tried Evangers. The Braised Organic Chicken and the Turkey and Butternut Squash were refused but so far all 3 are willing to eat the Holistic Pheasant Dinner.

26. elizabeth says:

A friend of mine and fellow cat lover has a theory that cats are actually aliens from another planet sent here many years ago to blend in and report back on us. That when they stare off into space with tail switching they are sending and receiving messages from the “mother ship” and that they are finicky eaters because they have just never adjusted to the food offerings here on planet earth.

It’s very sad that almost daily there is another food added, we are not even sure what to feed our beloved pets. I am the proud mom of 2 golden retirever’s and 1 shih tzu I have been watching this very close and decided to change their food to Orijen no grains.

Here is the site where you can read about this food, Ibought it today after asking a pet store in my town to bring it in, well I am glad I did. It is costly but our pets are worth it.

Ok that is not me above

I never saw someone else spell their name like mine

30. LorieVA says:

The Lorie with the 2 cats not dogs will now be LorieVA

31. 4lgdfriend says:

Jo: I believe Sensible Choice is made by Royal Canin. You probably know that. If not………now you do.

32. Patty L says:

China now testing food for chemicals. I wonder how serious this testing is.

33. SinbadsMom says:

I can’t help wondering how much of the trouble with foods containing rice, including brown rice (which is simply rice with the bran left on) rather than rice protein concentrate, might be due to genetically engineered or modified (GE/GM) crops. Please check the web pages below. Rice in both China and the US has been contaminated by GM rice, and as the third link there indicates, the problem is likely to get worse.

As the Washington Post article at the first link there explains, the USDA’s response last year to finding out an illegal variety of genetically engineered rice had contaminated the food supply was to suddenly approve it, skipping a lot of tests.

That’s our regulatory agencies for you — can’t worry about such things as food safety when profits are at risk…

This article, though it’s specifically about wheat, points out some of the risks of genetically altered grains:

Still waiting to know the other RPC companies…what the h are they waiting for? Figuring we ‘trust’ them until they tell us different????
    ha ha. right.

35. Gina says:

I also pray that the name removal is just a legal thing.. I’ve been feeding Canidae dry for the last year and we’ve been feeding out of the same bag for the last 2 months. Our Westie has been doing great with it and she just went in for a routine checkup at the vet and the vet reported back that her blood and urine samples were “perfect”. In fact, the vet said she was quite impressed with her results. This gives me a little piece of mind… but I still can’t help feeling cautious and wondering what’s going to happen next..

36. Danielle says:

Barb:
    If you scroll back in the messages posted since 12-1:00 you will see what we are talking about with Pied Piper. I don’t want to rehash it because it will probably just set off a chain of more confusion. In short, Pied Piper is the manufacturer for Canidae dry food. There is no recall with Pied Piper food, nor any complaints voiced on here, but for some reason they asked that their name be removed from the list.

People on this blog were speculating that means there is a problem at the plant and that Canidae now cannot be trusted. My post was merely saying don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

As for Canidae, there is a post in the forums under the vegetable protein thread that says a top executive with the company said all batches are tested daily. The poster Teric sent samples to a lab of every food she was feeding including Canidae & Felidae, just for peace of mind, and is expecting the results back today. Hope that brings you up to speed.

My 3 dogs are on the lamb & rice as well, and the canned food switching off with Evangers. I am not concerned, especially after hearing they are testing everything now, but would still like Teric’s results to put my mind at ease because every time I come on here people make me second-guess myself.

(And although I used to agree that home cooking was better, now I’m not so sure that we can trust any human food any more. Summer’s coming and I’m waiting to see what vegetables are recalled this year, not to mention the melamine-enhanced meat.)

37. Eric says:

Barb,
    Don’t worry, Pied Piper is the manufacturer of Canidae and Felidae dry foods. So far, to my knowledge, they haven’t any products recalled. The discussion is over the fact that Canidae refuses to say who manufactures their food and Pied Piper refuses to say what food they manufacture. Most of us assume there are confidentiality agreements.

38. Danielle says:

Actually that reminds me, my dog just had bloodwork done last night because he needs to have two moles removed on Monday. That should also tell us if Canidae is ok since he’s been on it for a month.

39. LorieVA says:

Does anyone know how to cook a whole chicken in crockpot. Was told this is the best way for drippings. My cats are wanting gravy, will only eat the dry chicken out of my hands. My divas are a little spoiled these days, but it making me late for work in the morning trying to get them fed

40. LorieVA says:

Not to burst bubbles but my cats bloodwork is fine. But the still have GI problems and require pepcid. Not all things are kidney related that come from this

41. LorieVA says:

I lab rats cyauric acid caused lesions in the GI track not kidney damage

42. Monica S. says:

Thanks to everyone who brings new informations to help each other to find the good food to save our animals….. I Have 2 dogs and 2 cats……My cats were on Hill’s DD for allergy. Venison and green peas….Since 3 years they have been on that food canned and dry food DD. The last past weeks , they refused to eat them, they eat a bit and then refuse…..it is not normal , since they were eating this for few years (these products are not on the recall) I phone the clinic were I bought, but they say there is no problem with this food. I bought Royal Canin VR sensitivity canned ( not on the recall) the dry one is on the recall list. …….they eat it , but I am afraid because I just learn today that it is made by menu foods (not a reference) I e mail Royal Canin and receive the information……On the phone they told me it was made in their own plant and on the e mail , they say it’ s Menu Foods. My cats are not sick but they lost weight…..
    They use to eat dry and canned and now they eat only canned… I bought dry and canned Solid Gold, 1 of my cat eats few dry and the other does’not want it……they accept the canned…

I think Solid gold is made at Diamond…….why isn’t safe, what happent at Diamond? Is it because of Natural balance

I am going to get tomorrow Origen dry and Merrick canned …..Is it safe ? can someody help me in my choice for my cats!! they refused to eat Evo dry and Felidae …………. I give my dogs home made food and a bit of Evo dry ……..and cookies from cloud star the regular cookies, is that safe?

Me too I was waiting for Teri ……:)) and his test…… I am from Quebec , Canada , and I am very please to have found this site…..I go few houres a day to see…….
    Thanks Itchmo and all of you, friends for your informations

Monica S.

43. Hattie says:

Been here for weeks now, haven’t posted much, just a couple times. All the info you guys have is so helpful.

johnnypaycut -
    I am in Texas panhandle, I ordered KumpiKat thru the website and had no problems with it getting here quickly and fresh. The shipping is included in the price. It’s worth it. I am med. retired, so my income isn’t much, but the KumpiKat can fit in.

I had talked to Evy a few times before I ordered and decided to take a chance, it’s been 4 weeks now since I changed my cats over and I’m really glad I did. (4 weeks and 4 bags, I finally ordered the big bag) Evy has called me many times since my purchase to answer my questions and find out how my kitties are doing, I am really impressed. She remains in contact with me still. Right now, I have no trust in anyone, except — I do trust Evy.

My cats all like the KumpiKat a lot. They like the small kibble, drag the bag around the house to get at it. My youngest hesitated a bit, but then dived in. The oldest liked it right away, the tiny kibble is easy for him to eat. Everyone is much more playful than before, one of mine had allergy symptoms that are gone now (I don’t know exactly what he was allergic to, must have been something in his food). My oldest (15) is even doing things he hasn’t done in years, like get up on the bed. I hadn’t expected such results, really. I was just really scared about what to feed them after the recalls started in March, I just didn’t want to kill them! What a wonderful bonus that they all feel better as well.

Email or call Evy if you have any questions, like everybody says. She will really address your concerns, and she is fast — you get her right away on the phone, she answers it. Your email questions get answered within hours, too. Given how slow responses are from other pet food companies, this is really nice.

I’m sorry this is so long, I guess I talk too much. That’s why I rarely post.

44. 4lgdfriend says:

SinbadsMom: Rice in both China and the US has been contaminated by GM rice,
    RIGHT. and also elevated levels of arsenic in rice; http://tinyurl.com/2e7j6c
    eighty percent of the rice grown here comes from states in the South Central part of the country. A lot of it is grown in former cotton fields. And when cotton was grown there, a lot of these fields were treated with pesticides that contained arsenic. … investigated rice from these fields and he found that it contains unusually high levels of the toxic heavy metal.
    … it’s really the populations who consume a high amount of rice that should be concerned. [AS IN MANY PETFOODS]

45. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    I new you’d said that your kitties were having GI problems. What symptoms are they showing?

46. Eric says:

“knew” not “new”…my typing skills have been thrown out the window.

47. CathyA says:

Uh Elizabeth, no, I have it on good authority they are talking to The Giant Head!

48. Barb says:

Thanks to all for giving me a little piece of mind re canidae. I have fed canidae to all my dogs for the last 9 years. Of course i added the wet recalled garbage for many years thinking it was the best food out there. Nothing replaces my newly found meatloaf for the dogs and us! I made a HUGE meatloaf last night, threw in some carrots and potatoes..it took two people to lift it out of the oven. ha! We all had a feast. But, I did add a little canidae to their meatloaf. Geezzzzz. Me scared? Yes. No more chicken now for a while……..

Signed.

Hot in Arizona.

49. LorieVA says:

They still seem to gag sometimes at the sight of food and drool, have trouble chewing keeping it in their mouth. they are burpy and do sstill do alittle too much lip licking. They also do not like to be handled and touched as much as they use to. My littlest geisha was use to be on my lap the minute I sat down. : ) The pepcid seems to work though and they perk right back up. I just hope it doesn’t go any further. Katie’s dog has the same GI issues and now the poor dog has blood in its urine. Now I am wondering if mine are next. this nightmare is never going to be over a vetin an article I read right after this happened predicted the ones who quickly died got off lucky the survivors were going to be the ones who suffer. i am starting to believe him.

50. Eric says:

If staring into space and twitching of the tail is communication with the ‘mother ship’, my cat Yoda must be a communications specialist. He spends most of his time (when not sleeping or eating) staring and twitching. He has a very active tail.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 » Show All