More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled

On May 2, SmartPak recalled all orders of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received on May 2. After their first recall of LiveSmart Weight Management Chicken and Brown Rice, SmartPak sent all of their other dog food for testing, and Adult Lamb and Brown Rice came back with positive results. SmartPak is dry food and is made by Chenango Valley.

SmartPak is saying that this is odd because this particular dog food doesn’t contain any rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or any of the other ingredients that are on FDA’s import watch list. They are saying it may be cross-contamination. (Oh by the way, it took 48 hours for the FDA to put up the press release).

NOTE: Many Menu Foods clients affected by Wednesday’s recall expansion are finally issuing their own press releases. Those companies are already listed in our recall list. Use our search feature to find news on affected brands.

The full release after the jump.

(Thanks Mike)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Plymouth, MA – May 3, 2007 –On 5/02/07, SmartPak Canine executed a voluntary nationwide recall on all lots of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice food. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received earlier in the day.

The LiveSmart Lamb formula is only sold in portion-paks shipped straight to the consumer’s home each month, so there are no bags of potentially affected product on store shelves anywhere in the country. The focus of the recall has been informing affected customers via telephone, email, and letter. Ninety-nine percent of the roughly 220 pet owners feeding LiveSmart Adult Lamb via its portion pak pet food subscription service were contacted by live phone contact or message, and/or email. The company has had live contact with the majority of affected pet owners, and is continuing an aggressive outreach program to ensure that the notification has been received. To reduce likelihood of pet owners continuing to feed the food, replacement product is being shipped to affected customers free of charge.

At the time the recall was initiated, there had not been any ill effects reported in dogs. Through the efforts to reach out to all customers, the company has become aware of two instances of vomiting and learned that a 10 year old Rottweiler had passed away two weeks previous to the recall. These reports have been forwarded to FDA and are being investigated by the company’s Medical Director to determine if they are connected with the LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula. The company has asked that any dogs showing signs of kidney illness (loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst) be seen by their veterinarian.

The company is presently investigating the source of the contamination in conjunction with its contract manufacturer, Chenango Valley Pet Food. The LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula does not contain rice protein concentrate nor wheat gluten. All the meat and vegetable matter, with the exception of New Zealand lamb, is of US origin. It appears that the product may have been cross contaminated at the Chenango plant by a prior batch of food unassociated with SmartPak that contained an ingredient that had been contaminated with melamine.

SmartPak has also tested each of its other four brands for melamine contamination, and there was no melamine detected in the samples of these foods. Those brands are LiveSmart Adult Chicken and Brown Rice, LiveSmart Senior Chicken and Brown Rice, and LiveSmart Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice.

Questions regarding this recall may be directed to Paal Gisholt, the company’s president and CEO, who may be reached at 800 461-8898. Affected customers are asked to call the company’s toll free customer service number at 800 461-8898, which is available 24/7. Additional information will be reported on the company’s website as it becomes available.

367 Responses to “More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled”

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 » Show All

1. Jo says:

Elizabeth,
    I LOVED your post about alien cats. It gave me a very welcomed and needed, outloud laugh. And with 10 cats, I could sure relate!

2. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    That’s so sad, but I really hope they pull through. You and your kitties will remain in my prayers.

Monica S

I am in Ont Canada, please try the Orijen it’s amazing and I believe the best food we can buy for our pets.

4. E. Hamilton says:

A thread should be started in the forum for testing because it appears that the FDA and “certain” companies cannot be trusted , so a lot of food and other things are being sent to labs, various labs and labs that will not be announced until tests have been completed, to be on the SAFE side and reduce risk of clerical errors, cross contamination etc.
    Testing of human urine for traces of several poisons may well be done also.

Lorie VA, sorry I didn’t realize that there was someone with the same spelling as mine.

6. LorieVA says:

Hi Lorie in Canada i am Lorie with the E in VA too funny,

7. Eric says:

The more Lories the better…that’s what I always say.

8. blkcatgal says:

My problem is that I have a cat with food allergies and I can’t feed him some of these foods like Kumpikat. He is on a limited ingredient diet….was eating the NB venison and peas dry until the recall (fortunately I had an old bag too) and NB venison and peas canned. I’m still feeding him the NB canned despite my misgivings with NB and switched to Royal Canin IVD venison and peas dry despite my misgivings with RC. If I feed him something else, he breaks out with mouth sores and gets all itchy. I’m not real happy about feeding him these foods and so far he hasn’t had any problems.

Anyone have any better ideas for me?

9. Evy says:

Hiya All ~

I just got off of the phone with my manufacturer. There is zero chance of cross contamination with any Kumpi product and for two reasons. Number one, they do a thorough cleaning inbetween production runs. BUT the other reason is that they run formulas the same day that have ‘like’ ingredients in them.

For instance, on April 3rd when I had a production run scheduled, the meat for that day was rejected and two other companys besides mine had to have their production run rescheduled. It’s easier for them when they are ‘cooking’ to have as many similar ingredients as possible.

Also, the other pad of insurance (have I mentioned how much I love Crosswinds?? lol) is they actually pulled my production runs from this year and checked to verify. I was the first run except for one day and there was not even any corn gluten in the run before mine OR wheat gluten OR rice protein concentrate OR any source that could be an indicator for contamination.

They have done tests on the dries used in all the products manufactured for melamine (so far they’ve made it back ten months and are still going, just for safetys sake) and everything has come up negative.

The SmartPak cross contamination issue was within their own product line. They had the Weight Management formula run and probably went ahead and had the other formulas run the same day. As small as the batches are, that would make sense why they are having cross contamination issues. But it was within their own product line.

Eric, please note that LorieVA cat’s had GI problems before eating the KumpiKat, unless she has already posted that while I was writing this :)

Once again, I have to say I love doing business with a smaller manufacturer like Crosswinds whose local economy depends on their integrity. You can’t visit the place without sensing the community pride in what they do, the same gal answers the phone as years ago - ditto with production managers, etc. There is virtually no turnover in their employment there and it’s a very stable company. They knew far before any of us how tenuous the pet food industry is and implemented safeguards long before any of this happened to make sure their products were as safe as could be.

The fact that only whole US grains are used in my product line I owe to the genius of my nutritionist. He believes that protein should come from meat and not grain sources.

Well, phone is ringing, gotta go for now :)

10. LorieVA says:

Eric,

Even if I wouldn’t of added the VA to my name people would be able to tell us apart by my wonderful typing skills

11. E. Hamilton says:

I just posted the below to petconnection.
    What do you guys think?
    Have to be done quick to get the info out there, if we got emails for lawyers or contacts and made sure they knew about all this good info it would help everyone I think.

All the really good research being done here could be of use to every single lawyer doing a class action lawsuit against Menu or companies yet to be named, maybe a list of lawyers emails should be started at itchmo too?
    Help them move faster to prevent assets from vanishing like some documents.
    If we have the yes of hungry lawyers on this site, along with all the other eyes, it couldn’t hurt, right?

12. ally says:

Barb, somewhere buried deep within the vault of Itchmo’s blog comments (I think about a week ago), a commentor named Boutique Owner posted that Pied Piper does make Canidae (dry IIRC). I asked her if she could tell me where she got her information and she told me from her Canidae representative. She also said she has no reason not to believe them.

Hold on……..lemme see if I can dig this out from the itchmo blog cellar. Crap on a stick for not bookmarking it in the first place…..

FOUND IT!!! Cripes, I’m like a dog with a favorite bone at times. Took some digging but here is where we were discussing Pied Piper & Canidae:

There you can read:

Boutique Owner Says:
    April 29th, 2007 at 10:24 am

“Canidae is made my Pied Piper in Texas. Pied Piper also makes DRY Canine Caviar and Nature’s Variety. The Canidae cans are done by Evangers. Canidae is a very small company, only 18 employees, I think. No stock holders to answer to, no need to cut corners to save a fraction of a penny.

The fact that they will disclose their manufacturers tells me that they are proud of their choices and have nothing to hide.

All their ingredients come from the U.S. only. Even their rice is grown down South in the U.S. No glutens, hormones, preservatives, etc.”

In responding to my above query she replied:

Boutique Owner Says:
    April 29th, 2007 at 11:02 am

“I found out the source of manufacturing from my Canidae representative. He has no reason to not be truthful about it. He also told me that Pied Piper manufactures the Canine Caviar dry but their wet is manufactured by American Nutrition. Different state, different company manufacturing it.

I was completely impressed when I found out that Evangers does their cans. They have a fabulous reputation for running a very clean cannery. Yes, they are Kosher and they have organic capabilities as well. ”

Maybe I’m too trusting of her (espeically when I say I don’t trust anyone any more - cripes ally @ self), but for some reason, I felt she was being truthful. Again, if I’m wrong, I’ll happily eat my words and the page they’re printed on.

Anyhoo, there ya go Barb. Hope that helps.

13. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    We have all proven our superior typing skills here at Itchmo. If anyone is looking for high quality typists, they’ve come to the right place.

Evy,
    Thank you so much for the reassurance! I appreciate it more than you could know.

EVY: There is zero chance of cross contamination with any Kumpi product and for two reasons. Number one, they do a thorough cleaning inbetween production runs. BUT the other reason is that they run formulas the same day that have ‘like’ ingredients in them.

Nothing personal Evy but I’m not buying it when any petfood producers says this. The rotten apples have spoiled the whole barrel. That’s the way it is. Good luck.

15. Karen says:

Evy:

Thanks for the post.

16. phdcat says:

blkcatgal: Always tough. Have you tried a holistic vet that does homeopathy? I’m thinking vaccinosis might be cleared by a good homeopath. Was your cat ever treated with steroids? http://tinyurl.com/35ls8r
    I’d go to holisticat - see what some experiences might have been.

17. Trudy Jackson says:

I’m looking for a cat food that is safe, but I have a lot of cats so it has to be a decent price? Anyone know of any? Trudy

18. Tiffany says:

I had just taken all 4 cats to the vet Friday April 20th as a precaution because they were eating Nutro Natural and Natural Balance before the recall. They have been on Merrick and Innova Evo since. All their bloodwork came back normal and the vet said they looked healthy. Monday the 23rd one of my cats started vomitting every time she ate. First she would throw up her food, then continue to throw up until her stomach was empty. This continued the whole week and we went to the vet again the next Friday April 27th. He again said she looked healthy, not dehydrated and still very active, but kept her overnight and gave her pepcid and an antibiotic to be sure. She’s been home since the next day and only vomitted a few times since then, and never to the extent of that week.
    When I read that Lorie’s cats were having GI problems but nothing is showing up on their bloodwork it sounded exactly like my own situation. But it does seem strange that only 1 of my 4 cats has been affected. Any thoughts?

19. Eric says:

Trudy,
    Felidae is around $30 for a 20lb bag, which isn’t too bad. Other than that, I’m not sure. Sportmix makes their own food and it’s really cheap, and hasn’t had any recalls, but it’s also really low quality and full or fillers…at least that’s my understanding. Although right now I think it’s most important to find a food that won’t kill your cats, and focus more on quality when this crisis is straigtened out.

20. Eric says:

Tiffany,
    Are your cats eating dry or wet food? Just curious.

21. Rachel N. says:

The SmartPak cross contamination was not within their own Product Line.
    The Weight Management that they voluntarily recalled came back negative, as did all of their other dog foods! The contamination came from another companies dog food that was manufactured in the same plant.

22. CandyAZ says:

I have just gotten a notice from Castor & Pollux:
    Castor & Pollux Ultramix Feline Canned Food Recall

Dear Valued Customer,

Castor & Pollux is issuing a voluntary recall of the following foods:

Natural Ultramix Adult Feline Canned Formulas: Chicken, Turkey & Salmon Flavors
    Natural Ultramix Canned Indoor Cat Formula
    We are contacting you because you have ordered one of these items from us. If you have any open or unopened cans left with a best by date before January 2010, please call us at 888-937-6677 and please discontinue feeding it to your pets.

ITCHMO ADMIN: Yes, those were a part of the Menu Foods expansion notice on Wednesday.

23. Sandi K says:

24. Evy says:

Anonymous ~

I don’t blame you for a moment, but I know the protocol at Crosswinds and they know their own need for integrity since it is the backbone of their community. But I hold no feelings against anyone at this point, since it is mind numbing to consider how betrayed the pet food consumer has been. Just please remember that when I was searching out a manufacturer, the first thing in my mind was my own dog and cat, since they were the reason for me beginning a company at all.

My own FurAngels mean the world to me and that is why I labor at this company - they are just kind enough to share :)

So, nothing personal taken and I’d rather see people jaded and cautious than the way they have been, too trusting. Put your product line to the test and find your own comfort zone with one if you are making any purchases, even in treats. That’s the way it needs to be!!

25. Rhonda says:

Unfortunately we all have to make decisions on who to trust. I almost went the route of making my own dog and cat food. But I could have then exposed them through the use of chicken. We don’t eat beef because of the mad cow issues and the lack of testing for it. I also find it odd that chickens and pigs were fed melamine laced foods which aren’t being recalled because their percentage in our diet is low and the risk level small. If the chickens and pigs were eating it, what were cows eating? Fish is now suspect if it is “farmed” fish because the melamine is known to be added to fish meal/food. I’m willing to trust Evy’s Crosswinds because they’ve gone to the extent to test 10 months of ingredients and have tested clear for melamine. So to me, that means even if for some strange reason there was cross contamination, at least it wouldn’t be with a product that had melamine. In addition, if they have gone to this extent in their testing, it sounds like they take this very seriously and until proven differently I plan to trust that they take their cleaning just as seriously.

26. Bambi's&Princess'sMom says:

LorieVA Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 3:45 pm
    “I(n) lab rats cyauric acid caused lesions in the GI track not kidney damage”

This concerns me very much because at my tiny (3lb) maltese has been at the vets because of blood in her stool. They ran all the blood tests and say her kidneys & liver are fine, but her stool sample had red & white blood cells in it, indicating inflammation in her intestines. She has been eating Canidae dry chicken & rice, Aunt Jeni’s Chicken raw, Primal Chicken raw, & The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw for almost a month now. However, she was eating Hill’s Science Diet & Natural Balance prior to the raw. They have her on an IV and I just took her some homecooked ground beef & rice, which she ate with gusto and seemed to be doing very well. They said she should be able to go home tomorrow morning. I too am waiting to hear about teric’s lab test results about Canidae. It upsets me that they won’t tell us who manufatures their food. I at my wits end here!

27. Tiffany says:

No, he did a fecal, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t do a urinalysis. Now I’m worried! I’ll call tomorrow morning and talk to him about it.

28. Bambi's&Princess'sMom says:

Also, the vet said I’m better off using chicken or turkey for the homemade, but where do I find SAFE chicken???!!!

Can anyone recommend a safe vitamin supplement (not from China, no China ingredients) to use when you make their food yourself?

29. xyz says:

A somewhat different take on things, especially if ‘feed’ production is involved. It’s also possible a company might not want their manuf. known for security reasons.

Not that who manufactures what is that big of a mystery once you start looking. Still, it’s something that should be addressed. If the FDA wants to create a less than paranoid climate they should back up the manuf. that have state of the art testing procedures and test all ingredients, as well as the finished product, using an independant on site source.

I wouldn’t see some sort of statement endorsing such by the FDA as a statement of quality, rather for the safety. Perhaps something
    the officials can address.

30. Eric says:

Bambi’s&Princess’sMom,
    Read above for info on Canidae. Dries are by Pied Piper and wets are by Evangers.

31. Rose says:

I have been following this disaster with dismayAs even here we get Eukanuba,Hills,and Iams it is having far reaching effects,I have 2 dogs and I have not fed mine any of these, the vetenarian food Advance that I have to feed my dogs comes from Australia but my heart goes out all the people that have lost Pets I for one will never eat Rice again or use anything from China and I think there should be a boycott of goods from China and of all the pet Foods factories until this terrible tradedy is resolved Purely my thoughts Rose

32. littlechloe says:

Hi - new poster. Does anyone know who mfgs Nature’s Variety dry? On the pet food list it just says they outsource, but not who.

33. Bambi's&Princess'sMom says:

LorieVA,
    Can you tell me where you found out about the lesions in the GI tract?
    Link?

34. Bambi's&Princess'sMom says:

Eric,
    Thank you. I did read everything on this thread. Were did you find out the Canidae is made by Pied Piper, and where did pet parents find out that Canine Cavier (sp?) is made by American Nutrition? Links please?

35. Bambi's&Princess'sMom says:

Sandi K Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 4:48 pm
    “Tiffany, did you have a urinalysis done on your pets? People, please get a urinalysis done! Antech Labs and other vets are saying most of their cases are coming with normal blood levels for creatinine and BUN but its the urinalysis that is showing the problem……”

Thank you Sandi K. I’ll call the vets office now and ask them if they did a uninalysis, in not, to please do one right away!

36. Barb says:

Since the recall I’ve been feeding Canidae. I noticed on their website that they say they don’t use any wheat gluten or rice gluten, but they don’t say rice protein concentrate. Does anyone know if rice gluten is the same as rice protein?

37. blkcatgal says:

phdcat, thanks for the response. So far we have been successful in controlling his condition by feeding the limited ingredient diet. Have not tried steroids yet and not sure I want to go that route because steroids have their own issues. Last time I checked, there wasn’t a holistic vet near me but I look into that again.

38. Mark says:

I called Pied Piper (1-800-338-4610) to complain about their “asking” (most likely through a legal threat) for their name to be removed from the Pet Food List site. I told them that I thought this type of behavior was simply unacceptable in a recall environment like this. I informed them that if they did not reverse this, I would no longer use products produced by them. I hope some of you do the same (i.e. call and complain).

39. Ann H says:

I just spoke with Fancy Feast rep.

Their wheat gluten does come from various sources. They do not use rice gluten. Their soy protein is US origin. The Mighty Dog was a Menu recall. Alpo was a recall from their own plant in Nebraska.

They are working closely with the FDA. They are testing for melamine. I said, Ok, now, there’s a ton of wheat gluten, you mean you test every other bag? She said, no, we test all of it.

She is going to find out why the Fancy Feast ingredients are not on the website and ask why they are still using menadione in their Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry. She’ll get back to me on that. Really nice lady, Terry.

She did not know about the ASPCA release. I said you have to know they don’t recommend using proteins that are not from the US because of this. She’s going to follow up on it.

I do feel better, but I had deliberately eliminated FF with wheat gluten in wet varieties when this recall came out in March.

Now, my Timberwolfe Serengeti dry food is almost gone (1/2 bowl) and the order was delayed (items out of stock) and won’t get it until Monday.

The 2 things I forgot to ask were 1) corn gluten origin 2) where did they get the wheat gluten in the Alpo.

40. TC says:

LorieVA - I just put the whole chicken in the crockpot along with a cup or two of water, and cook on high until done. I remove the finished chicken, and part it out some for us, and some for my dogs. Then I add water to the drippings, egg noodles, carrots, dry shitake mushrooms, & fresh tarragon and keep cooking to make soup (adding back that reserved cooked chicken). I rotate - one time soup, next time drippings to dogs.

I used to enjoy doing this until I fretted that my chicken might be toxic from tainted feed. Then I realized I am not going to live forever anyway, so I got over it. Kind of:)

Teric - I will stay tuned to see your testing results. I am gosh awfully glad you are doing this. My dogs are on homecooked, but my cat is relying on Felidae. And I am one of those who has issues with this “confidentiality” crap regarding where Canidae/Felidae is produced. I have lived many years now, and it is almost NEVER a good sign to be in the middle of a crisis like this, and have a company refuse to disclose something so mundane.

41. Jo says:

To those of you having problems with vomiting cats…

I’m not at all claiming to be a cat expert, certainly, but I have extensive experience with cat health having grown up with them and have at least 10 cats — up to 14 — all my adult life. Cats are my one and only passion in life and I have made their care and wellbeing my #1 priority with an extensive cat book library at hand, attending vet seminars and maintaining a very close relationship with my 2 vets. I’m the first to take a cat to the doctor when problems arise and have huge annual vet bills to prove it! : )

This is why I’d like to mention to folks who have cats that are vomiting after food changes yet show no signs of kidney damage via blood or urine work that there is a good chance the vomiting, nausea and/or inappetance is being caused not by eating tainted food but by the gastric upset that most often results in changing a cat’s diet abruptly.

It takes time for their digestive systems to adapt to changes in food, particularly when the change includes a change in the type of protein, e.g. chicken to lamb. Generally when we switch foods we should transition from old to new over a 10 day period. But…because of the recall, most all of us were forced to immediately switch to different foods — and some of us frequent switches trying this and that brand until we landed on one or more that the cats liked. Vomiting problems could very well be the result of such abrupt diet changes.

And just to clarify, I realize that just because a vomiting cat’s blood or urine test comes back negative for kidney issues doesn’t necessarily mean that the food they are eating or was eating was without contaminants. It may take time for kidney or other damage to show up in a blood or urine test. I’m just saying that the vomiting problem could also be caused by the switch in foods.

Out of my 10 cats that were switched from food to food immediately following the recall announcement, I had 4 of them exhibit such problems. The problems subsided in about 4-5 days after which I cut their food intake way back — in some cases fasted the cat with plenty of fresh water and love for 24-36 hours — then started them back on the new food slowly and in small amounts until their systems adapted.

Just something to think about, and hopefully — as was my intent with this post — will relieve some fears.

42. Trudy Jackson says:

Thanks Eric, trudy

43. 4lgdfriend says:

Tiffany: good you had them checked. The vomiting is suspicious to me in the current situation. Not sure what you mean by “before the recall”. Severity of symptoms sometimes dependent on how much they ate. Also, sometimes an abrupt switch will cause digestive upset… That being said,
    My cat had urgent vomiting soon after eating - quit eating altogether - and trouble urinating (from Nutro - corn gluten meal) but still bloodwork showed nothing conclusive. I have read (sorry, forget where) that due to the uncertainty how this might affect pets - future effect they cannot predict . I’m watching mine very closely. I’m afraid that’s not much help. One thing I did do was to buy a petfountain. Agressive hydration was key to recovery for animals that were sickened. Mine is drinking a lot. Something else to watch.

44. ally says:

Bambi’s Mom at 4:59 pm–
    “I did read everything on this thread. Were did you find out the Canidae is made by Pied Piper…?”

Erik tried to tell you to look above at the comments here.
    See my post:

ally Says:
    May 4th, 2007 at 4:08 pm

45. phdcat says:

blkcatgal: No, I’m saying DON’T use steroids - could have been cause. Good you did not. Check the link.

46. TC says:

I think the hardest thing for me right now is the absolute certainty that what is safe at this very moment may not be safe the next. That labels are nothing more than “guidelines” and that ingredients not listed are in fact present, and that this kind of thing can happen to otherwise trustworthy companies. Not to mention the crooks that do it deliberately from the get go.

That I might have a freezer full of chicken fed with contaminated food that I would rather not ingest, but the food protection agencies of the FDA and USDA will not disclose the information I need to make informed choices. That I read an article in my local Oregon agricultural paper that detailed the fight the USDA put up when certain companies wished to test their beef for BSE to certify it free of such things, and the USDA wanted them stopped from doing so (as I recall they lost that round). Lunacy. Esp. for an agency that wishes to be entrusted with the sole responsibility for determining such things, but can’t tell me where 3 million tainted chickens ended up besides our stomaches.

47. robin says:

Easy solution for Canidae/Felidae, just put it on your web-site who makes your stuff, do you or the manufacturer purchase the ingredients, do other products outside of yours go through the machines and if yes, how are they cleaned, and who monitors that procedure? Testing procedures etc. If they have nothing to hide then it’s easy for them. Until I see it up on their web-site for the world to see, mine are going to all raw. And I really don’t care if Sunloff from the FDA thinks homemade is a bad idea, his track record on getting a handle on this has sickened and killed many pets. If my protein is a tad low, I’m not going to grind the kitchen counter-top up and toss it in. I’ve had it with the confusion and all the little ‘proprietary info’ games this entire industry seems to be playing.

48. Deb says:

I miss something here in the cross contamination theory. I have posted this before….I have a mfg’ing background (non foods). I was thinking more about contamination dust, not cleaning the machiney….things I know that would create an issue. Somehow I doubt this is the case. Maybe I missed the postings on the cause of the cross? Don’t know.

Now I don’t think it was cross contaminated at all. Based on my background, I have always thought like products came out of the same plant. The same raw mtl’s we used for our product…..went into the customers (unless it was L/O). I think this is the case with a lot of plants.

From what I remember of these pouch products….all the different lines has the same flavors. I am willing to bet…..all those products are exactly the same…..just the packaging is different. Same thing with canned products……they do a run…can it….and only put the label on it when the product is purchased by the customer. The slop inside is the same any the label changes???

I think the reason why it is taking so long for Menu to fess up is because they have really sloppy accounting and operational procedures.

We found out this morning…the Mr QA may have a vision problem….and didn’t see what was wrong with the wheat glob….visuals are done it QA. I had a visual of the QA person…with a Seeing Eye Dog… He/she really wasn’t doing a good job that day or they were sleeping. It seems like there may be an issue with plant operational procedures and low level accounting (I am sure they do a real good job on the P&L)…..the place sounds like a real mess. I honestly believe….they do not know what runs ‘the stuff’ was used it….because it was not recorded…..this is why the recalls are being dragged out.

I think what we need to do…..is over throw the Mgmt of Menu and take it over!!!!!! I think we could do a much better job!!!!!! I am claiming the most comfortable chair and the office with the best view.

Fancy Feast: Of Primary Concern: wheat gluten, corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate

Also Of Concern: soybean meal, soy flour, menadione, dyes, animal digest, by-products.

We have nothing but the companies “word” on source of ingredients.
    How much do you trust what companies have been saying?????

50. Anne says:

Eric,

I hope my cats take to KumpiKat like yours did. Don’t worry, my two guys never go hungry!! With new food I try a bit of the new and the old and if they don’t like the new I give them the old and try again the next day. The only new food they took to right away was Purina Pro Plan, but that was tossed pretty quickly when I realized it had wheat gluten! My male cat is much pickier than his sister. He gives me that sad look and just walks away from any food he doesn’t like. His sister usually will at least try it, he just smells it and walks away. So I hope the KumpiKat works because Evy seems like a great person and I hope to find someone to trust in all this mess.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 » Show All