More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled

On May 2, SmartPak recalled all orders of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received on May 2. After their first recall of LiveSmart Weight Management Chicken and Brown Rice, SmartPak sent all of their other dog food for testing, and Adult Lamb and Brown Rice came back with positive results. SmartPak is dry food and is made by Chenango Valley.

SmartPak is saying that this is odd because this particular dog food doesn’t contain any rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or any of the other ingredients that are on FDA’s import watch list. They are saying it may be cross-contamination. (Oh by the way, it took 48 hours for the FDA to put up the press release).

NOTE: Many Menu Foods clients affected by Wednesday’s recall expansion are finally issuing their own press releases. Those companies are already listed in our recall list. Use our search feature to find news on affected brands.

The full release after the jump.

(Thanks Mike)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Plymouth, MA – May 3, 2007 –On 5/02/07, SmartPak Canine executed a voluntary nationwide recall on all lots of LiveSmart Adult Lamb and Brown Rice food. This product tested positive for presence of melamine in a test received earlier in the day.

The LiveSmart Lamb formula is only sold in portion-paks shipped straight to the consumer’s home each month, so there are no bags of potentially affected product on store shelves anywhere in the country. The focus of the recall has been informing affected customers via telephone, email, and letter. Ninety-nine percent of the roughly 220 pet owners feeding LiveSmart Adult Lamb via its portion pak pet food subscription service were contacted by live phone contact or message, and/or email. The company has had live contact with the majority of affected pet owners, and is continuing an aggressive outreach program to ensure that the notification has been received. To reduce likelihood of pet owners continuing to feed the food, replacement product is being shipped to affected customers free of charge.

At the time the recall was initiated, there had not been any ill effects reported in dogs. Through the efforts to reach out to all customers, the company has become aware of two instances of vomiting and learned that a 10 year old Rottweiler had passed away two weeks previous to the recall. These reports have been forwarded to FDA and are being investigated by the company’s Medical Director to determine if they are connected with the LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula. The company has asked that any dogs showing signs of kidney illness (loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst) be seen by their veterinarian.

The company is presently investigating the source of the contamination in conjunction with its contract manufacturer, Chenango Valley Pet Food. The LiveSmart Adult Lamb formula does not contain rice protein concentrate nor wheat gluten. All the meat and vegetable matter, with the exception of New Zealand lamb, is of US origin. It appears that the product may have been cross contaminated at the Chenango plant by a prior batch of food unassociated with SmartPak that contained an ingredient that had been contaminated with melamine.

SmartPak has also tested each of its other four brands for melamine contamination, and there was no melamine detected in the samples of these foods. Those brands are LiveSmart Adult Chicken and Brown Rice, LiveSmart Senior Chicken and Brown Rice, and LiveSmart Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice.

Questions regarding this recall may be directed to Paal Gisholt, the company’s president and CEO, who may be reached at 800 461-8898. Affected customers are asked to call the company’s toll free customer service number at 800 461-8898, which is available 24/7. Additional information will be reported on the company’s website as it becomes available.

367 Responses to “More SmartPak Dry Dog Food Recalled”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 » Show All

1. Eric says:

Did Teric get kidnapped?

2. Karen says:

Possibly. Or he decided to watch Real Time……

3. TC says:

Maybe teric is over where I was while waiting - Pet Connection.

Reading about how 20 million chickens may be tainted. No processing; instead, birds to be held while USDA attempts risk assessment, might know results as early as Monday. I am speechless.

That has to win for the biggest Friday after 5 bad news to date.

4. Eric says:

TC,
    That’s on of the top stories here on Itchmo too.

5. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Teric, and all…lets pray about canidae. :o( The dogs are pulling at my pant leg ready to eat their canidae and meat loaf. No evangers for me now. I have two cans left…not going to happen. Here I thought they are safe because they are 100% meat. I will stick to home cooking and hopefully canidae. Although I lost two german shepherds at the age of ONLY 9. ONe in Dec and one last month. I have two sheps & one ci mix left. Come on canidae…..I do believe the wet food I fed (natural balance, nutro) played a role in their deaths. To think I THOUGHT I was doing the right thing adding wet. Now it will be what my husband and I eat.
    Thanks for all the good helpful information.

Barb

6. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Hold teric for me…going to feed my dogs real quick………..

7. Pit Bull Lover says:

Real Time w/…
    Sanjay Gupta talks about poisoned food program coming up next week.

8. Eric says:

One hour later, and Teric is still leaving us hanging. Either Teric disappeared or is writing the longest post ever…

9. Lee says:

Maybe the FDA kidnapped him from speaking lol

10. Molly says:

elizabeth, re: “A friend of mine and fellow cat lover has a theory that cats are actually aliens from another planet sent here many years ago to blend in and report back on us. That when they stare off into space with tail switching they are sending and receiving messages from the “mother ship” and that they are finicky eaters because they have just never adjusted to the food offerings here on planet earth.”

Thank you so much for the fantastic can’t breathe crying laugh. I really needed that. :)

11. teric says:

Hi All,

Bless your hearts. I am so sorry for the late post. I received the results @ 6:00pm and I am just now at home & able to deliver the news.

The results on the bags/products that I submitted in for testing of Kumpi, KumpiKat, Canidae Dry, Felidae Dry are as follows:

Melamine Non-Detected / Aminopterin Non-Detected :-)

The other tests for Amilorine, Amiloride & Cyanuric Acid will be completed Monday.

My biggest concern is the Melamine and they were not detected in any of the products I submitted.

I do hope that these results give many of you a bit of relief. But, please understand I can not in anyway say that because of my test, everything is safe & free of toxins due to the different batches produced. I know what I have is safe and I will continue to test each bag of food prior to feeding & I will post the results.

Today I read many concerns about Canidae. I too have the same concerns. Because of this, I personally have chosen to feed Kumpi products/foods from now on. My kids love it and Nancy (many of you may remember Nancy) has not thrown up since she began eating the KumpiKat. IMO,..That says something to me. I just ordered the 20 lb bags of Kumpi & KumpiKat

I am so happy to report this outcome and my kids are eating well tonight. :-)

Now, my next adventure is to find safe treats.

May God Bless all of us and our little ones.

12. Eric says:

Teric,
    Thank you so much again. I will look forward to hearing from you regarding the rest of results next week.

13. teric says:

My gosh, I feel really bad now. I’m just reading some of your posts waiting for me. I had puppy zoom zoom hour along with my kitten who had just been spayed Wednesday. They have been on my tail since I got home.

I forgot to mention: My kitten who has been eating KumpiKat for 5 months,..her blood work checked out just fine prior to surgery. That toois a very good sign IMO. :-)

14. TC says:

thanks Eric - absolutely right on that. I missed it here, because I left a browser window open to this page, waiting for teric’s reply and hadn’t checked the rest of Itchmo again for awhile.

15. Barb, GSD MOM says:

OMG. Thanks goodness…that is a bit of relief as my dogs just woofed down their dinner of canidae, meatloaf, potatoes & carrots. But, like you said not every bag is the same. Hmm…Kumpi? I have never heard of that dog food before. I will check out the ingredients.

Thanks sooo much for all the input re canidae. Not sure what I am going to do at this point.

16. TC says:

Must have posted same time as Teric. Again, many many thanks for the update.

True, test results are only a snapshot in time, not a guarantee of future safety. But it is one more thing to consider, and since there is quite an escalating food crisis going on, well, more knowledge is always better than less.

I really really thank you for posting what you found. Will check in for further results.

17. Mary Sue says:

Teric,

Thanks so much for your efforts on behalf of all of these hungry dogs and cats and worried humans. Were the Canidae and Felidae tested the regular ones that contain lamb, the senior, or the chicken and rice varieties?

18. Barb, GSD MOM says:

As far as treats…I tried making my own with chicken livers, flour, eggs, milk, garlic powder, chicken broth…..of course the dogs sucked them down…but a couple of days later they had mold of them. Maybe I should of refridgerated them. lol I do feed Innova health bars…my dogs LOVE them!

Thanks again Teric for the information.

19. Cathi says:

Teric,
    Thank you so much!!

20. Karen says:

Teric:

Thank you for all you went through to provide your results to all of us. Yes, it is a snapshot but, it makes me feel better!

21. teric says:

Mary Sue,

Those that I had tested from the Canidae products were:

Canine - Lamb & Rice
    Canine - All Life Stage
    Felidae - Cat & Kitten (mine wouldnt eat it)

22. Jenny Barkley says:

Teric,
    Thank you. Your the best. I will sleep a little better tonight.

Itchmo I will sign up tomarrow tonight I sleep. You are the best too.

Trudy, the higher quality foods that might raise your eyebrows in price don’t turn out to be as much more expensive as they look. If the protein is better, meaning meat, not grain based, the pets don’t need to eat as much. So if the good stuff costs twice as much, but they only eat half as much to get what they need, you pay the same for the food as if you had given the cheaper stuff. I am having this experience with my cat’s new food. Read the package for feeding amounts. I hope you are able to feed a food you feel comfortable with, and I hope it turns out to cost less than you think at first look.

24. teric says:

Pit Bull Lover Says:

May 4th, 2007 at 10:42 pm
    Yay!!! The mysterious Inspector Teric returns!

I am just looking through the posts & this made me laugh.
    Again, I am so sorry for making you all wait so long. I will not do this to you Monday (let’s say Tuesday). I’ll be at work with no puppy zoom zoom hour to distract me. I got home late tonight and that does not go over well with my spoiled ones ignoring them while I’m on the computer.

25. TC says:

Ruth - I just read your posts and the one about the nightly routine of your little dog just made me cry.

I didn’t lose a pet yet in this recall; but I have experienced loss of my pets for other reasons over the years. It is the worst thing and am very sorry for your loss. take care.

littlechloe: The issue with Pied Piper and the NV, Canidae/Felidae SO FAR seems to be one of secrecy rather than food. I have still not read any accusations of any of these foods making pets ill, though I may have missed something.

TC, it is not just a bad batch or two or three with the Nutro dry. It is the dry cat food too. And my cat had the same symptoms except no seizures, though the Nutro was only part of her diet. She recovered beautifully and became unexpectedly kitten-like after I took away the Nutro. She had eaten that with no problems for years and suddenly didn’t like it, didn’t eat much of it, threw it out of the bowl, and got sick from what she did eat. I have exchanged this story with several people who also fed dry Nutro to both cats and dogs with similar problems. Nutro completely denies all this and they insist the food is perfectly safe, ha ha. Well it is NOT safe in my humble opinion. Hope your dogs are making a complete recovery.

28. Bridget says:

teric, thank you so much! Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the date on the bag of Felidae was?

Thanks!

29. robin says:

teric,

Many thanks for doing the testing and providing the results. After the recall mess hit I had switched my crew to the Canidae and Felidae dry from the Wellness dry for half their diets as they eat the other half raw. I feel better tonight but still would like Canidae and Felidae to provide more info on web-site. Mine have done fine on the Canidae and Felidae, but thankfully they easily can go to all raw and I think that’s the best way for me to go for the time being. It’s just real hard to trust any of them right now. Again, thank you very much.

30. love gsdogs says:

teric…thank you from all of us..I may actually rest easier about the future of the planet…Kumpi and Evy were my last attempt at trusting any commercial suppliers, large or small…

Am glad that the trust is intact so far…If I missed reading about how you were going to have smaples tested, I apologize..Can you give some specifics on how and where and how much?

Has anyone tried treat cookies made by “BlueDogBakery” they make a scrumptious Molassas/peanutbutter cookie and a varity pack- they are all natural and the company is saying their companys “BlueDog” cookies are safe .I feed mine these and have ever since they came on the market they can be reached at the following:
    Bluedog@bluedogbakery@.com
    toll free-1-888-749-7229
    fax-206-666-3835 they are made in Seattle,Washinton and while I can’t vouch for ANY company but I am trusting my furrie kids with this product I am exhusted trying to keep up with all the recalls my 15 yr. old Emily is a picky puss and my 9 mth old puppy ZADA has to be hand fed unless its fruit or veggies ,cheese or treats– thank heavens my 4 yr old ZEUS is NOT picky –but with this horrible pet food crisis is on going it is hard to fed him and not be paranoid so far my group are symptom free -but I still am crazy with worry what will be the next food to be a death sentence!

——————————————————————————–
    See what’s free at AOL.com.

32. Val says:

Leslie K,
    Funny you should mention this! I received a sample bag of their Selects today in the mail! I was curious, so I opened the bag. There are small hard off white things stuck to it and in the bag. I quit feeding that brand to my dogs a while ago since they started to refuse to eat it and I had several that were vomiting after eating it. All has been fine since I switched. I did email the company to see if they changed formula’s and got a sappy non answer reply of course. Told them I was not feeding it anymore too. The best used by date on the sample is March 2008.

“I started to add a scoop of the purina & saw something small,hard & white stuck to it & loose in the bag.
    When I called them they said not to use any of the food ! “

33. Val says:

Thank you Teric for your results! I’m very happy to hear this as I am using some of those that you tested.
    I’m getting good results and yes it took the cats a few days of picking at the dry, but they eat mostly raw/ fresh anyway.

34. Stephan says:

Re Canidae and melamine - In the next 6mos or so, the dust will settle, and we will have new food safety issues to worry about. Because it was an intentionally added contaminant, we have some control over it long term.

In contrast - if you are buying from a plant that makes both animal feeds AND pet foods, you always, always have a concern regarding cross contamination with drugs that are growth promotants / antibiotics in poultry/ruminants, but KILL dogs fast.

So, once you are finished with obsessing about melamine - next questions to ask Canidae regarding long term food safety are as follows:

- does your manufacturer make medicated agricultural products - specifically feeds with monensin sodium or tylosin phosphate - in the same facility as your pet foods?
    - how can you guarantee us that there will be no “cross contamination” from these feeds
    - do they use a separate mixer / auger system for pet foods / ag feeds

Back in the “olden days” before there were so many facilities dedicated strictly to the manufacture of pet foods - monensin kills were fairly common, less common now due to specialization. But, it is still a quick moneymaker for a feed company to drop in an extruder and some pet food dryers etc. and start making pet food - they already have all of the other required machinery (bins, augers, mixers etc.)

The good news is that their nutritionists are going to be top notch, because formulating a good ag feed is way more demanding than a pet feed (if specs are off, growth/production suffers - producer lets you know in a big hurry since it means less money in their pocket. Dogs can live for a long time on crappy food - I would bet many of the pet food private label companies making fancy “holistic” diets don’t even have nutritionists on staff).

That is why if someone wants to buy cheap dog food - and lots and lots of people do - I always recommend against buying ones made by feed mills.

Re: Cross contamination - Although I do certianly think some of it is “don’t ask, don’t tell” ingredient additions (some may have read my musings on the mysteriously high carbohydrate beaver diets) but for the latest rash of Menu recalls - rework addition is my guess. Every time you make food, there is waste. Waste gets put into big bins sorted by general purpose, and blended back in to other runs. Spreads ingredients around fast.

35. Moosemarcy says:

What exactly is the problem with Evangers? From what I am gathering from these posts is that they had an ingredient that should have not been there and they took it out in 2006. Is this accurate? Was it listed in the ingredients? I am somewhat confused. Do you all feel this is okay food to feed my dogs?

Moosemarcy:

Evangers said they stopped using menidione (sp?) in 2006. It is still on some of their labels, because like every other company ,they are using up all the labels that were already printed (to avoid buying new ones). This has been done in the pet food industry because there is no “truth in labeling” law or regulation. Under normal circumstances, you could look at a website for updated ingredients and compare to your package/can. Companies are changing their websites on a daily basis though.

What I know about Evangers is they claim all US ingredients, make their own canned food, and many people have recommended the food. I won’t recommend anything, but I have been feeding some Evangers to my cat.

Some folks have complained of pets vomiting after eating Evangers, but I have not heard anything about renal failure from it. My cat has not vomited from it, but she is stubborn about changing wet foods and has picked at it.
    I hope that helps.

37. TC says:

Helen - I am not yet convinced that the seizure was due to the dog food, but the rest of the symptoms were. You were far smarter than me in taking your kitten off the food immediately. The vet and us made excuses for this off behavior that we simply should not have done. And funny you mention it - my dogs started tossing pieces of kibble outside of the bowl. I wonder if they were picking and choosing more or less bad pieces to eat.

Glad to hear your kitten got past this okay! My two dogs are (knock on wood) still symptom free and have the energy of youngsters (they do 1-2+ mile walks daily as only hunting dogs do, running, and they are both 12). Some after effect may catch up with them, but I am cherishing each extra day we have.

38. TC says:

Stephan - thanks for those points, food for thought.

Teric,

Thaks for the update on KumpiKAT also i am very happy to say my little one Geisha is on my lap it only took 1 week of no commercial food at all and KumpiKat for me to get my girl back. Its been a long time March 23rd is when all my problems with the 2 started. BTW no pepcid either since Tuesday morning. Makes me wonder if they weren’t exposed to somehting else betwn 3/23 and 4/27 after I stopped the FF. Who knows. If they wee it was either Felidae dry which Topaz tried to eat twice and vomitted both times and GEisha had loose stools from which I blamed on the KELP but KELP is in KumpiKat and I have not had any issues with it. The other brands in that time frame were Merrick and Solid Gold Tuna. Mostly Merrick because I stopped using SG once I found out it came from Thailand.

40. e wem says:

I nominate teric for head of the FDA. teric thank you a million for sharing your info

I saw the Pied Piper web site. They do not use wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate? Sneaky talk. Why not just say: we use ONLY whole brown rice, or whole white rice, or wheat flour etc? I care more about what you use than what you don’t use. I care more about what country it came from.

I guess they don’t want to be pinned down. Slippery eels these pet food makers. What is in your food? It’s a secret.

teric thanks for sharing the link to the place that did your testing. Such places are hard to find.

Hattie - I saw your post above. When I took my sick cats off recalled IAMs and Nutro maxcat, the first meal was fast food chicken. The second meal was ground up bloody steak.

In two days they were acting differently, doing things they hadn’t done in months, like stretching, yawning, serious grooming. Now they are growing better fur. The massive shedding has stopped. I ran a comb thru my Himi’s fur and it went through like silk for the first time ever no knots, and no giant clump of Himi wool.

without itchmo I wouldn’t have a clue about all the pet foods, or pet owner experiences. This is helping me to save my babies. Bless you all

41. Moosemarcy says:

Helen, thanks for the quick response. I think I will still continue with the Evangers. I am so glad I have this site to go to through all of this. It has been such a Godsend. Thank you all.

42. Cathi says:

e wem….

I was concerned as well about the Pied Piper web site. They make Canine caviar and that was recalled. I was worried about Falidae because Pied Piper makes their foods too. I was told that it’s made in a different plant than Canine Caviar, but you would think the ingredients would come from the same supplier. I called Falidae yesterday and they refused to give me any information on where their food is made. This whole mess is very worrisome. I ordered Kumpi Kat yesterday and will be taking my cat off fedilae. Fedalie isn’t being up front about who makes their foods yet we all know it’s Pied Piper. My cat was on NB and got very sick, so I need to find something I can trust and a company that will be up front. How crazy. I feel so bad for the pets who have died and their owners. Anyway….good luck to you.

43. SandyC says:

About the methionine…I notice that all the foods which I would consider “quality”…Wysong, Felidae, Innova and I think Life’s Abundance line (but I’m not sure on that one) have DL-methionine in them. Is it not the quantity of the substance and not the substance itself. The website for Wysong mentions it as a substance to prevent urinary crystals.

Without going into all the particulars, I have six cats, two of which went into severe renal failure in January. After several thousand dollars in vet bills and sleepless nights, we are doing well now. I attribute the sub q fluid supplementation to saving my furry 16 year old surviving. We were feeding Iams and Eukanuba recalled food.

I am at my wit’s end. I researched forever for a low phosphorous food due to the compromised kidney function and came up with Felidae, placed a large order on PetFood Direct (we live in a rural town in Mississippi and there is no where to buy quality food) and now I read this about Canidae.

Just shoot me. I can’t feed a raw meat diet because it is too high in protein. I really don’t know what to do.

44. SandyC says:

One more note…Kumpi Kat has the DL-methionine in it too.

45. Evy says:

clarification

Menadione is the ingredient at question, not DL-Methionine.

Menadione or any added vit K source is not in the AAFCO manual in their protocol for nutrient profiles - and only in a cat food if fish is 25% or more of the diet.

I used to get the two ingredients confused all the time myself :)

AND I’ve been amazed at how many have it on their labels when a call to your Dept of Ag about it will yield the response that it should not even appear on a dog food label at all - and again, only in cat foods with 25% fish or more. The labeling aspect of pet foods is out of control.

Ok, I won’t digress lol.

But MENADIONE is the culprit ingredient.

46. love gsdogs says:

Would someone please tell me where the post is that had the details of Teric’s choice of labs to have food tested? I have scrolled up and down and over and back and am just not seeing this info and would appreciate more details…

I am also interested in safe treats as well… would appreciate input..right now I am using Organic shredded wheat cereal from Trader Joe’s..don’t have much faith in anything anymore and our household has been through too much to have another meltdown…

C’mon Evy, please make some treats as well????? Pretty please!!!!

47. SandyC says:

Evy,
    Thank you so much. That is the best news that I have heard all day…and yesterday too. I can’t believe that I confused the two but they sure do look alike, don’t they?

Evy, since you may still be here, do you know the phosphorous level of Kumpi Kat? It may be what I try next!

48. Evy says:

first this:

DL-Methionine is an essential amino acid that aids in the body’s detoxification process. Diets deficient in this essential amino acid may result in a destructive breakdown and metabolism of protein. Signs of deficiency include apathy, edema, lethargy, liver damage, muscle and/or fat loss, weakness and marked slowed growth in children. Methionine is critical in regulating the availability of folic acid, which is important especially during pregnancy. It is used to treat depression, alcoholism, liver disease, and reduce allergies and asthma. This essential amino acid has been used to reduce the toxic effects of radiation and it improves healing from surgery and other wounds. There are no known cautions or interactions associated with taking methionine.

Amino acids promote the production of various neurotransmitters and enzymes critically needed in brain metabolism. Amino acids allow smooth, balanced cognition and fluid transition from thought to disciplined action. Aid in the reduction of stress, frustration and cognitive overload.

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein in the body, they are essential for the synthesis of structural protein, enzymes and some hormones and neurotransmitters. Amino acids also affect exercise metabolisms.

There are 20 different amino acids that are needed by the body to create the various proteins needed for body growth and repair. Of these 20, 11 are created by the body and the remaining nine, which are called “essential amino acids,” cannot be produced by the body. The nine essential amino acids therefore must come from diet. Histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine are essential amino acids. The nonessential amino acids are arginine, alanine, asparagine, aspartic acid, carntitine, cysteine, glutamine, glutamic acid, glycine, proline, serine, and tyrosine. All 20 amino acids are necessary for health.

Below are some of the major functions amino acids are involved in;
    _ They empower vitamins and minerals to do their specific jobs correctly.
    _ Some amino acids can pass through the blood-brain barrier which exists to maintain the health of the brain, the brain’s chemistry and its processes.
    _ Act as neurotransmitters or precursors; some are needed to send and receive messages.
    _ Aid in communication with nerve cells in other parts of the body.

49. LovingMyPets says:

SandyC,

There are some homemade recipes! This website offers Specialty diets for pets with heart, KIDNEY, urinary tract, diabetes and obesity problems; as well as for intestinal problems and allergic skin disease in dogs cats and other pets.

50. Evy says:

SandyC ~

We have a very comprehensive nutrient analysis of the cat food at kumpikat.com :) I need to give my nutritionist a rest, God bless his heart, he has answered so many questions for me in the last month. He not only knows the science of nutrition, he knows the chemisty behind the ingredients. I trust him, the products he has formulated have shown extreme performance and I would just ask people to try and trust a poor gal who has been working to service customers (yes the phone rings into my home) and I will be spending (happily!) a good chunk of my day printing FedEx labels and prepping product for shipment on Monday. I am a working president lol and I have just a rudimentary knowledge of what it took my nutritionist decades to continue to learn. It is an evolving field and it is his absolute passion!

Treats - I won’t brand my name just to brand it :) There are good options available for treats and I am working with the gal who makes the treats that are shipped with Kumpi Dog Food to the Metro Transit Authority in NYC. She has been slammed with business as well and we’re trying to figure out some way to potentially allow people to purchase Kumpi dog food and her treats at the same time. I will need to have a fridge installed at the warehouse if we are going to do that, since she uses zero preservatives in her treats. They keep well when refrigerated though and we are trying to figure out if it might just be better for her to set up a website where folks can order directly from her.

I just can’t get caught up in the mire that many companys have, by being successful at doing one thing extremely well and then diluting proficiency by extending beyond that. Personally, I feel that if I start doing treats it will take away from what I have always perceived the consumer needs most and that are pet foods with integrity. I am concerned that if I take my eyes off of that at all it could potentially compromise what I started out to do in the first place - and I can’t risk that :)

Also, treats are easy to make in your kitchen at home :)

And on a lighter note, my personal assistant (God bless her heart through all this, since we are only a total of three employee company, myself included) took a bag of Deb’s cookies home for herself and one for her sister. Her sister was baking home made peanut butter cookies for her kids the other day and her son accidently opened the dog cookie bag at first, looked at them and said, “Mom, these cookies look different from the last batch” and everyone laughed, since the doggy cookies do look like a people cookie. The cool thing is, he could have safely eaten them lol.

Warmly warm hugs to FurAngels :)

also, teric’s comments are on this blog, you just have to scroll slowly :)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 » Show All