New Zealand pet owner Rose Fraser was shocked to discover something else in her cat’s food. She found blue plastic.
Last week, Fraser fed her cats from a container of Jimbo’s veal cat food. Thirty minutes later, she heard one of her cats, Tabtab, vomiting outside. Fraser found bits of blue plastic in the cat’s vomit. She reached into Tabtab’s mouth and pulled out an inch long piece of plastic.
The next day, Fraser found more bits of pieces in the Jimbo’s cat food bag. She said that she hadn’t noticed the pieces of plastic the day before because she was in a hurry and the cats were all over her.
Fraser said that Tabtab was lethargic for two days but the other cats were fine. She called Bombay Pet Foods, which owns Jimbo’s, to let them know what happened with the cat food. She said the man who answered the phone tried to sign her up for a special deal on cat food instead of listening to her.
They eventually sent a representative to her house to give her more pet food.
Fraser says that she just wants other people to know about the faulty batch.
“I’m not expecting compensation. I’m just concerned other cats may end up with intestinal obstruction. It’s just a mistake, they just need to be a bit more careful. If there’s something wrong with say, cornflakes, usually you hear some kind of message on the radio or the news but I didn’t hear anything.”
She said she would continue to feed her cats Jimbo’s as they loved it.
From New Zealand Herald:
Bombay Pet Foods has admitted their mistake but says that there is a slim chance that other cats were affected. (We’d like to know about this slim chance.)
General manager Dave Allan said the company used 27kg blocks of meat which were cut into smaller lots so if there was a lot of plastic someone would have seen it.
The company use the expiry date as the batch number. Mrs Fraser’s was July 16, 2007.
He also pointed out that only 10 per cent of Bombay Pet Foods’ sales were from the 1kg containers of Jimbo’s veal pet food.
“When it’s frozen some of the carton liner gets trapped inside the meat. It escaped the attention of the operator.
“You can use metal detection devices but you can’t use plastic detection devices, so if a piece of plastic does get into some product … I mean it does happen. I say to people I can’t guarantee it will never happen again, but we do try and make it right.”