NEW RECALL: Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs Recalled

We have been able to confirm that Nutra Nuggets (made by Diamond Pet Foods) is recalling their 40 pound Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs. The contaminated batch’s product code is #NLR0404 and the Best Buy dates are October 9-10, 2008. We spoke with a vet at the Nutra Nuggets recall line and he said that so far, they had only heard of 2 cases in which the dogs had renal diseases (confirming the news report from yesterday).

He said that it was due to cross-contamination due to food being produced for Natural Balance (Natural Balance had recalls in mid-April). At this time, he said that no other food produced by Nutra Nuggets was being recalled.

(Updated) Itchmo readers and PetsitUSA found out that the contaminated Nutra Nuggets were sold at Costco locations in CA, WA, OR, AZ, and NV.

272 Responses to “NEW RECALL: Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs Recalled”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All

1. furmom says:

So Dave, what would you say to a person in my situation who has watched the recalls carefully, and thanked my luckystars (touchwood) that my pets were ill(yet). The I find out the manufacturer, who assured me in an email that they were testing their (my) brand of food. Now I find out there’s a new bunch of pets sick. The vet can say this or this date was it, but that doesn’t mean my batch is clear. Do I wait until my pets get sick, do I buy another bag of this stuff, do I know what I’m going to switch to won’t be recalled next week, month? Of course the manufacturers are cr*pping their pants by now because more and more people have had it. Are our pets supposed to be the guinea pigs (like these latest victims) to test the food on the front lines? Just because the producers are swell people doesn’t mean we should sit by and just watch animals dropping before the food is recalled. This has not been a dozen or so animals. It’s hundreds or thousands of cats and dogs, no one has a proper count, a whole lot of chickens, hogs. The milk replacer was affected in at least one case. If people don’t squawk and start voting with their wallets, the system will not change, and this could happen anytime. People are anxious because they are confused,they are confused because no one is giving them the straight story. My dog food was safe, until it wasn’t. My dog and cat are still alive. I can’t imagine how sad, angry, p*issed off, grieved I’d feel if I had a sick or dead pet and a pile of vet bills to show for it. If you are not concerned, you should be, how do you know your pet’s food won’t be next?

2. JanC says:

I just posted this over at pet connection but I’ll ask over here too. Maybe somebody knows something about this.

Going back a couple of months, does anyone remember the vets (UC Davis?…….I’m really not sure) who were testing five dry foods…….these had not been recalled but lots of people had reported their animals had gotten sick or died from eating them. I’m not sure if it was reported here or at pet connection or both but I waited & waited & waited. I still haven’t heard the results of those tests.

Is it possible they reported back to the PF companies & waited for a “voluntary” recall? I guess we’re still waiting.

I can’t believe we never heard another word about this. Has anyone else??????

3. connie says:

Susan,
    The five pet food makers Wilbur-Ellis sold the melamine-laced Chinese RPC to are 1) Diamond Pet Foods, makers of Natural Balance dry foods (plant in MO), 2) Chenango Valley Pet Foods, makers of Drs. Foster & Smith and SmartPac/LiveSmart (plant in NY), 3) Royal Canin, plant in MO, 4) C.J. Foods, makers of Blue Buffalo dry foods (plant in KS) and 5) American Nutrition, makers of Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance wet foods.

the rest of you will have to help me fill in the blanks on the wheat gluten, if you would be so kind.

4. ann says:

Anonymous - NB did reformulate their venison products (except canned cat)to include RPC to improve the fornula. However, RPC was added bt A.N. to other products they recalled without their consent or knowledge.

FYI Re: NJ Pet Loss Law:

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 Courier-Post Online

Pet-food bill advances in Assembly

“The Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee Monday passed a bill unanimously granting such a right, as pet food companies currently only have to reimburse owners to the cost of their pet or medical bills associated with poisoning.”

Please take note what Organization is opposing this bill:

“The Pet Food Institute, a representative group for nearly all of the pet food manufacturers in the nation, opposes the bill as well because it places a different quality standard on pet food than the current New Jersey Commerce Feed law, said spokesman Kurt Gallagher.”

And also note that Mr. SmithBucklin appears to have vanished under his Popcorn Institute hat, having been (temporarily?) replaced by another mouthpiece for SmithBucklin. Looks like truth becoming public knowledge has made “Nobrain” fade into the background for a while.

Hey, whatever happened to his line about 99% of all pet foods currently on the shelves being safe and that all the brands PFI represents are quality ones? So if they are, how could a different standard hurt? Oh–I know, let’s talk about FEDERAL laws:

Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
    CHAPTER III—PROHIBITED ACTS AND PENALTIES
    PROHIBITED ACTS

“SEC. 301. [ 21 U.S.C. 331] The following acts and the causing thereof are hereby prohibited: 1

“(a) The introduction or delivery for introduction into interstate commerce of any food, drug, device, or cosmetic that is adulterated or misbranded.

“(b) The adulteration or misbranding of any food, drug, device, or cosmetic in interstate commerce.

“(c) The receipt in interstate commerce of any food, drug, device, or cosmetic that is adulterated or misbranded, and the delivery or proffered delivery thereof for pay or otherwise.

“(d) The introduction or delivery for introduction into interstate commerce of any article in violation of section 404 or 505 or 564.

“(g) The manufacture within any Territory of any food, drug, device, or cosmetic that is adulterated or misbranded.

“(ee) The importing or offering for import into the United States of an article of food in violation of the requirements under section 801(m).”

May 16, 2007
    “Dear Feed and Feed Ingredient Manufacturers:

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is taking this opportunity to remind feed and feed ingredient manufacturers of their legal responsibility to ensure that every ingredient used in their products is safe for its intended use, whether the product is meant to be used to feed animals intended for human consumption or non-food animals such as pets.”

Some of your members & affiliates, past & present, did what’s described above and as shown above, are liable for their actions and inactions. Go cry on Mr. Levick’s shoulder because there’s no getting out from under.

6. ann says:

Gerry - here are 3 different views on the subject. I feed Evangers. When I spoke to them about the viytamin K3, they said that they were using up old labels, and provided in writing that they do not use K3 in any of their foods.

7. ann says:

Jo - which canned cat food did you send

8. connie says:

Dear Pet Food Maunfacturers,
    I’m fairly certain more than one of you come to itchmo to read what we all have to say, I’d like to give you the clue you seem to be missing.
    With each & every recall, new recall, old recall, due to garbage in food or cross contamination in food or POSSIBLE cross contamination in food I’d like to tell you whats happening with the humans who provide YOU with YOUR paychecks. With each new warning we all receive & forward out to all in our address books, & phone & tell on the street, …you lose more & more customer confidence. Without customer confidence…less sales. Less sales, less work. Less work, less money. Are you seeing the pattern here???
    This recall has been ongoing for 2 months (kind of excessive wouldnt you agree?)
    How can you fix this?
    PULL THE OLD. ALL THE OLD.TEST EACH & EVERY BATCH OF FOOD YOU HAVE MADE, PERSONALLY SEND YOUR NEW INGREDIENTS TO BE TESTED. TELL THE TRUTH. HOLD YOURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE!!! IF YOU FIX THIS YOUR CUSTOMERS WILL RETURN.
    *ppsstt* honestly between you & me, if it cost us a buck or 2 more a bag, & we knew it was SAFE & GOOD for our hairy kids, we’d pay it, but keep covering it up & we wont be coming back.
    Sadly we find each & every day, that not only have our hairy kids but WE have been eating this CRAP for years! Whats it going to take for conscience to kick in?? Seeing one of your own ill & being helpless to do anything???? Dont let it go that far! FIX THIS!!

9. Stephanie says:

Connie,

Do you know if Royal Canin was confirmed to have gotten the rice protein from Wilbur Ellis? They announce the recall at the same time, but later announced that they got it from Cereal By-Products. I am just curious if they got it from two suppliers, or is someone still holding out on us.

10. sez who says:

I’m sorry but I’m having a difficult problem with this cross contamination deal… If that were the case, you’d have to insert the “dilution” factor and each time something went through it would get weaker and weaker, would it not?.. You know like the melachickens are not enough to prevent them from market, the dilution factor.. yeah right, .. but - off to market they went.. With that said.. Of course by now they (several plants) have cleaned their equipement and thrown out tainted ingredients that they know about since March recalls began 2 months ago. So I’m not buying this excuse.. Looks to me like something is STILL being used. Something we STILL don’t know about? I keep going back to that 5th contaminate that officials said was “too sensitive” to reveal… Talk about red flags going up! Too sensitive? Think about it.. Why would something be “too sensitive” to reveal to the public? A common ingredient? Something used in a wide variety of things? What? - a tainted vitamin, suppliment compound from China? (I hope everyone did see the article on the China imports - vitamins/suppliments like sorbic acid, E, B, etc being imported in) What is this 5th contaminate that is too sensitve to reveal? WTHell is going on here? - really… Is this not the biggest recall in our history? correct me if I’m wrong. But someting is just NOT right.. and it’s growing… All of the above is IMO… skeptic yeah, can’t help it.. it’s time for another sub-q..

11. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Any feed back on Nutro naturals?

Thanks!

More Re: Nutra Nuggets Recall & Diamond:

Tests Find Melamine in Diamond Pet Foods Brands
    Doubts Grow that All Contaminated Pet Food Been Found
    ConsumerAffairs.Com May 22, 2007

“Samples of another brand of dog food have tested positive for melamine and caused kidney problems in at least four dogs in California.

“The dry dog food is Nutra Nuggets, manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods of Meta, Missouri.

““We’re in a real quandary here,” Craig Wilson, with Costco’s Food Safety Department, told ConsumerAffairs.com today. “We’re not the only ones who were selling this product. This was not a Costco brand; this went to many other sellers of this item.

“A spokeswoman for Diamond Pet Foods called this an “isolated incident.” When asked if the tainted bags are still on store shelves, however, she said she wasn’t sure.

More Concerns about Diamond

“Meanwhile, an Indiana pet owner contacted ConsumerAffairs.com on Sunday with concerns about another brand of Diamond Pet Foods.

“Sharen C. of La Fontaine, Indiana, says her two dogs became sick after eating Diamond’s Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul.

““I normally cook for my dogs, but I wanted to supplement them with this brand,” Sharen says, adding her dogs, Cassie and Star, are Lab-mixes. “When I tried it, though, my dogs became sick. They were lethargic and had diarrhea. And this lasted for a couple days.”

“Sharen immediately stopped feeding the food to her dogs.

“When their conditions improved — about a week later — she tried giving them the food again.

““But they got sick again and had the same symptoms,” she says. “So this wasn’t a coincidence. It made them sick — twice.” Sharen contacted Diamond Pet Foods, but says the company downplayed her concerns.

“But shortly after her call, Diamond recalled its Chicken Soup for Puppy Lover’s Soul and Chicken Soup For Kitten Lover’s Soul. The company, however, didn’t recall the brand that made Sharen’s dogs sick — Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul.”

13. Stephanie says:

Sez who,

I have been thinking the same thing. Are we looking at another contaminated raw material? Why no dilution factor?

14. sez who says:

Stephanie, I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking outside of the box that has been presented…

15. Susan says:

Right and no more FDA press conferences. This is over? There has to be something else going on.

16. Stephanie says:

Oh yeah, someone is hiding something. People may think I am crazy, but this is out of control.

17. Barb, GSD MOM says:

This whole thing is making me nuts. I am feeding half canidae and half home cooking. Last night the children had rigatoni and meat sauce added to their food. They do not like canidae. Are they trying to tell me something?

18. sez who says:

Count me in on that - hidden stuff.. We only hear what they think we can handle. Dodge questions and throwing curve balls is not to my liking… This IS NOT OVER…

19. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Ok..found out what my friend switched her dog food to:

Nutro Natural Choice large Adult Dog Food

First 6 ingredients:
    CHICKEN MEAL, GROUND RICE, RICE FLOUR, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, WHEAT FLOURRICE BRAN.

thoughts?

Comments?

Thanks!

20. connie says:

stepahnie, I for a while, was not saving the articles I was finding & was only writing down brands…then I finally started saving lists of maufacturers, cause if one brand is crappy but manfacturer A makes 10 brands, you KNOW more will end up crappy as well. My list was from this story “UT HOGS TESTED, FED RPC FROM AMERICAN NUTRITION 04/26/07
    The below article from today’s news pretty much confirms American Nutrition in Utah is the remaining unnamed “pet food maker” who purchased potentially tainted RPC from Wilbur-Ellis……….”
    I believe I got it off of doggybling.com. I saved it may 3rd.
    Ive said it before, Ill keep saying it: Dad’s pet foods may not be top of the line, but all of their dry cat & dog ingredients are GROWN in the USA. I have switched 21 animals in MY house, (plus countless other houses) to Dads sinmply because it IS grown here!!
    some food for thought & you all KNEW it was coming: In 45 yrs I have NEVER had a UTI, bladder infection, kidney infection, or any issue relating to the formentioned issues. A week ago, I was at the dr for my first. fun wow. Yes I eat chkn, tons of crap with wheat in it, & fish, (sadly some farm grown fish). coincidence???? I suspect NOT. I spent almost 20 minutes discussing the food tainting to the health care provider & asking if they were seeing more of these infections..this person said no. However….I work at a pharmacy & I persoanlly DO see more & more looking for AZO & cranberry & juice…Pay attention to what youre all eating as well. (now for the collective *thats just wonderful sigh*)

21. Carol says:

Susan, do you mean NutrO or NutrA?? As I thought Diamond made NutrA?? I’m confused again..

22. Gerry says:

ann…thank you for the info on vit k.

“People may think I am crazy, but this is out of control.”

haven’t you heard?! we’re all crazy, hysterical, over-the-top-troblesome bloggers!!!

welcome to our planet ;)

24. ann says:

Connie- That info came out awhile ago. Wilber Ellis sold to 5 companies which were all eventually named. The big question is, where did the 3rd batch of rpc from Cereal by-Products go to?

25. ann says:

Gerry-You’re welcome

26. Jo says:

JanC: The vet you were thinking of who announced — via a Sacramento Bee article — he was testing several suspect pet foods not yet recalled was Dr. Paul Pion with Veterinary Information Network. I, too, have been very eager to hear the results of his test but have heard no reports.

BEN @ ITCHMO: HAVE YOU HEARD THE RESULTS OF PION’S TEST?

27. ann says:

Nutro is owned by eith colgate/pomolive or proctor and gamble
    Nutra is a Diamond pet food brand, and is made by Diamond

28. connie says:

:) IF they told us, I dont believe I have that one.
    I was just trying to answer this post,

“Susan Says:

May 22nd, 2007 at 11:04 am
    I’m getting confused. How many actual manufacturing plants are contaminated? Menu Foods plants, Chenango Valley, Diamond Foods? It’s hard to keep track of what’s made where? I guess we haven’t heard anything from Doane Foods (of the aflatoxin recall last year)?”

I as well, just get more & more confused, angry & annoyed every time a NEW recall comes down. Theyve had more than enough time & they just DONT CARE! & thats just sad

who is it that sold out to Mars at the begining of this? or am i confused (as usual!)

30. ann says:

31. neolady says:

Getting caught in this yet again, Nutra used to be marketed in Canada by Costco who indicated that Kirkland Lamb & Rice was the same product - manufactured by Diamond. I just bought a bag with an October 24/08 expiry and frankly I am scared stiff to feed it. Can anyone provide me information to find out if it is the same product or not?

connie, i have to wonder if they (FDA) were counting on their dilution theory with regards to the cross contamination. and what the plants didn’t tell them was that more of this stuff was floating around . . .

that’s all i can figure beyoned the obvious, there was never cross contamination. there’s just the “don’t say anything until something dies” rule in place.

33. kellie says:

ok this may be winded, i have alot on my mind…AGAIN..just as I was starting to feel safe.

As i’ve stated I’ve been off work after a surgery on disability, only a fraction of my normal pay, but getting by.

I can’t go homemade right now because i don’t have the freezer space or the funds to drive an ahour to the butchers and geta bunch of bulk ground meatand bone base.
    I made my own fish batches with my own wild causght fish and eggs, only one of my 2 cats ate it.

I found a pet supplies plus that carried. merrick, innova, felidae, bought 40 bux worth of wet and innova dry.
    The cats wont eat the dry AT ALL and only nibbled all the wet foods.
    I have wasted SO much food. the stray cats outside are eating like kings now while my own kitties are pulling hunger strikes.

The only way my one cat would eat was for me to feed him manually by the finger full. Don’t freak out saying OMG HE”LL EXASBERATE INTO HIS LUNGS!!!..it’s not like that. He sits in my lap, no struggle, doesnt even turn his head away. he’s not struggling, or fighting me, he opens his mouth i put it on his tongue and he swallows it. he just wont eat himself.

After all the waste and the mess and the worry about their health, ireturned the unused cans and switched to wellness wet, i know i know, menu…i hated doing it, but they will eat that eagerly.
    i also tried some innove wet, also menu, but running out of choices. when i’m home to make him eat its ok but next week i’m back to work and i’ll be gone 9 to 12 hrs a day, i dont want them starving so i went with what i hope is safe and they’ll eat.

I followed all tips on switching kitties food, i did the old food on top, baby food, etc. he just wasnt having it!

My biggest fears are also, they had TON of free samples of wellness dry, 4 types, calf natural dry, 2 types, and innova dry 2 types that i didnt get before.
    So being pretty poor lately i snatche dthem up and the cats are actually nibbling on it where the innova/evo they wouldnt touch period.
    now i’m scared of all these food i just got wet and dry.

Only 1 store sells evangers, a health store 45 mins away.
    I need a dry they’ll eat and i trust for when i’m at work. they kinda like the welness and califonia natural herring and potato.
    what do you guys think of those?

Also, i found a treat they love. it’s by vitakitty, they are like chicken jerky and beef liver jerky, it’s pure dried meat with just vitamin A, E and flax.
    They love these and it’s another source of protein so they get a handful of those a day. The ingredients are great but i cant find where they are made

nevermind, i found small print that says made in china…#^%#&%#^%#^%#
    i’m calling the number…sigh….

Ok..30 mins later.
    i had a great talk with a dogswell, rep.
    Yes they are made in china. will i buy them again? i dunno.
    I got right thru to a human on the phone within seconds..no automated run around.
    She told me the chix and beef is free range cage free and eat a diet of grass, ahy and corn, the corn coming from the USA. She said the president of the company’s brother and other family live in China and over see the production. they said they have been testing their products from day 1 and later added a melamine test to be sure.
    You can tell these are just chix and liver jerky with nothing added.
    I told her my worry was what the cows and poultry eat before they are made into treats. She assurred me it is all organic feed. she was very nice and patient with all my questions.
    I asked her if this will make them open a plant in the U.S. and she said there are talks of this and they are considering it in light of the CHINA backlash.

My cats love these and have never had any reaction to them at all…I guess i have some thinking to do.

any thoughts about the dry foods i listed would be great.

34. Jo says:

ACCUTRACE TEST RESULTS (MOST OF THEM) ARE IN AS OF THIS EVENING, 5/22, VIA PHONE:

All Formulas Tested Are CAT Foods:

Royal Canin Sensible Choice Senior Dry; BB 9-07
    Royal Canin Indoor Mature 27 Dry; BB 10-18-07
    Blue Buffalo Spa Select Hairball Control Dry; BB 3-7-08
    CA Natural Chicken & Rice Dry; BB 2-16-08
    Science Diet Indoor Cat Adult Chicken Entree Can; BB 9-2008
    Natural Balance Ultra Formula Can; BB 2-14-2010
    CA Natural Salmon & Sweet Potato Can; BB 5-24-08
    CA Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Can; BB 1-5-09

Composite samples of the above dry & cannned formulas tested negative for melamine, cyanuric acid & aminopterin. Another test for “unknown toxins & chemicals” also came out negative.

Results for amilorine & amiloride (melamine by-products) are pending AccuTrace’s receipt of test standards.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE NOTE the above test results represent single cans & bags of food, with specific best by dates & production runs. I’m sharing these results for any of you who may be interested, but am not implying that these test results indicate the listed brands & formulas are safe for your pets to eat, nor am I recommending that any of these brands or formulas should or should not be fed to your pets.

I do, however, want to say that AccuTrace has been great to work with. They completed testing within one week of sample receipt. The rep I worked with was very knowledgeable about the pet food recall and the testing procedures, and called me as soon as the test results were in her hands.

My heart goes out to all of you whose pets have been affected by the recall. We must all stick together and speak out for the sake of our animals who can’t.

35. ann says:

I stopped feeding my 13 yo cat dry altogether after reading these two articles:
    After exhaustive research and food trials, these were my results: My cat will only eat these canned foods - Wellness chicken or turkey, Evangers organic chicken, annd natural balance Venison and Green pea(was not recalled, only the dog & cat dry, treats, and dog canned). Would not touch Innova. Took 2 bites of filadae and that was it. My dog is on Innova dry with some Evangers canned thrown in. This was the only canned food she will eat. My wallet shares your wallet’s pain.

36. ann says:

PS Since suspecting that my cat has a food allergy, she is strictly on NB Venison and Green Pea canned

37. Mandy says:

Dave Says:

May 22nd, 2007 at 4:42 pm
    Once again, I am appalled, that this webiste continues to allow people to make false and misleading statements about this or any other pet food recall. You are creating mass hesteria, by allowing uninformed people to post comments about this food or that food Do any of you honestly believe that any company would intentionally contaminate they products. And just because one food has it, doesn’t mean the others in their respective product lines have the same problem. Unless a specific food is listed, I for one whould have no hesitation to use them. And if they are listed, all I or any of you would need to do is not use the dates they’ve outlined in their recall notice. Enough said already!

————————————————————————————–

Dave, my cats ate Purina One and Cat Chow their whole lives. Around the time of the pet food recall, it made the older one start throwing up. Many people have complained about Purina products, especially Fancy Feast and Beneful. Complaints have been made to the company only to be ignored. Just because a product is NOT on the recall list does NOT mean that it’s safe, as this newest recall just proved. The vet had to have the food tested himself and then let the company know before they finally recalled the food, even though I’m sure customers were already complaining.

If you don’t like this website or the posts that people make, you are quite free to not come here and read. Just as the rest of us are quite free to come here and read and comment. It’s OUR choice.

As to us being uninformed, we ARE informed. We have done our research and your post was quite offensive. Many have lost their fur babies or had them become sick. Please be more sensitive in any other future posts that you decide to make.

38. connie says:

straybaby, whats the matter with mars foods??
    I suspect I may have missed something. I am under the impression mars stuff is ok,(cats & dogs loved goodlife recipe & pedigree) . After weeks & weeks & weeks of this recall, I was tired to the point I wanted something, ANYTHING, grown IN this country, so I went to Dads. I still tell people pedigree & goodlife, sheba & whiskas are mars products & should be ok, but that they couldnt tell me, when I called them, WHERE the ingredients came from & I wanted USA grown stuff. Since I cant afford raw for 21 & one passed raw for dry(!!) I had to have something I felt safe with & I was tired of these poison imported ingredients.

39. furmom says:

Neolady, don’t feed the Nutra, your dates are definitely in he bad range, according to the Calif vet ordered food testing. Since Diamond has not clarified what the heck is going on, which plants or foods are affected, just wait till things shake out. Diamond will have to test and confirm before they would do anything official. I personally emailed Nutra Nuggets/Diamond about a month ago and asked them to please test their food as I was nervous and using a lamb and rice, (and occasionally chicken and rice) formula. Their website at that time said they didn’t use the bad chinese glutens but they would test anyway. I’m wondering what happened to that promise, because this batch must have been produced right around that time. I have a bag of lamb and rice I’ve had for about a month and couldn’t bring myself to feed the dog. I am really glad I didn’t now, even though it might have been produced before the danger period. Don’t throw it out either, there may be a recall, you might get your money back, or might want it tested. I pray your pet remains okay. Make a nice people dinner for your pet tonight, and then start figuring out what else to feed. Personally my pets have been on raw meats,egg, dairy, and cooked grain/people grade food for now. I’ve pretty much lost confidence in commercial foods.

40. LovingMyPets says:

ann Says:
    May 22nd, 2007 at 6:45 pm

“Pert of the problem is that we gets bits and pieces, but not the whole picture. Then, when we get another piece, its hard to remember where it fits, because there are so many fragments.”

Ha! Why do you think they are doing it that way? For precisely that reason (as you stated)!!!

41. Susan says:

I must be SO naive! I thought recalls were simple. Pull the bad stuff off the shelf. Instead I’m not sure there is any good stuff anymore. And I noticed the FDA site, Nutra Nuggets, and Diamond Foods don’t have today’s recall listed. What are they waiting for?

42. ann says:

I’m sure the companies are doing it this way because they get cornered. I’m referring to information uncovered by the people investigating this whole mess, not just the FDA

43. connie says:

I for one ditto Mandys comments! I fed my cats special kitty & friskies & 9 lives CANNED for years. NOT gravy products, loaf stuff. None of it recalled.
    I took my 2nd most sr cat to see doc..cause “he just didnt look & act right”. Doc ok’d him. could find nothing wrong. recalls started & I stopped ALL store bought wet food. in 2 weeks!!(before I switched drys) I saw the difference. Inner hoods gone, coat glossy & neater, racing around the house. Those foods still are not recalled(low doses, bad batches? who knows). All I do know is all of mine are doing BETTER off store wet. If all thats still on the shelf are safe to eat, WHY do they keep having recalls?????

44. Jo says:

Kellie,
    Like you, I’ve tried several different premium canned and dry brands/formulas on my 10 cats since the recall. The only Wellness dry food I tried was a sample of CORE, and the cats weren’t very wild about it. I also tried samples of EVO, Felidae Platinum & Felidae Chicken & Rice. Those didn’t go over very well either.

What WAS accepted in my personal food trials were CA Natural Herring & Sweet Potatoe — and even more so, the CA Natural Chicken & Brown Rice. The majority of my cats seem to gravitate to chicken based foods.

As for canned foods, we’ve tried SO many brands. What my cats seem to like are the CA Natural Salmon & Sweet Potatoe and CA Natural Chicken & Brown Rice. But their very favorite seems to be the Wellness Chicken formula. They ate the Wellness with more vigor than the other brands, so it seems to be more palatable.

I’m concerned, too, about the Wellness/Menu Foods connection but at some point you’ve got to go with what works for you, what is accepted by your cats, and what your gut feeling is telling you — then observe the cats closely and be ready to act if necessary.

45. kellie says:

ty, jo for the info and test results..
    tyvm

46. Maureen says:

Re: NY State lab’s reply for request for info on testing for pet food contaminants

Could someone help here?

I’m working tonight and don’t have time to figure out how to post this on a forum, or which one to post it to, and I don’t think I’m registered. I think it’s info that people might want regarding testing. (I posted it on a thread that is getting obsolete, but people seemed to appreciate the info.)

Here’s the info:

I wrote to the NY State Food Lab and just received this response re: aminopterin testing. And they gave more info about where they are in their testing. Encouraging. This is the lab that receives Homeland Security funds. I’ve read they are state of the art…

Here’s the reply:
    “…responding to an e-mail that you sent… regarding the NY State Food Lab and testing of pet food for aminopterin. It is true that both the FDA and Cornell University were not able to duplicate our lab’s finding of aminopterin in pet food; we suspect this was due to the breakdown of aminopterin in the pet food samples we tested. Very limited testing has been performed on pet food for aminopterin since shortly after we reported our findings the focus was directed to melamine and related compounds. Only one other lab (in Canada) found aminopterin in pet food, in this case at very low levels. Our lab is currently testing pet food for melamine and related compounds in addition to aminopterin and other potential toxins. We have devoted a great deal of time and effort into developing and validating methods to test pet food and are just now at a point where we can test the many samples we have collected from pet owners whose pets became ill or died. Thank you for your interest; we have an excellent laboratory program dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure food supply for humans and animals.”

I questioned what he meant about FDA & Cornell’s failure to replicate and his statement about the breakdown of aminopterin in the samples they tested, and he responded:

“Regarding the breakdown of aminopterin……… Aminopterin has been reported to be light sensitive, unfortunately we failed to shield our original samples from light and believe this may be the reason for aminopterin becoming undetectable by our lab and others within days of our initial finding. We performed limited aminopterin stability testing in our lab and found that aminopterin stock solutions that were not protected from light demonstrated a reduction in detectable aminopterin over time.”

47. Barb, GSD MOM says:

I don’t believe Nutra nuggets and Kirkland dry are the same dog food.

Connie

Sorry! i didn’t mean to imply anything was wrong with Mars foods in general. (but they do own Waltham/Royal Canin as an FYI) I only asked the question because I’m trying to keep trak of who owns what :)

49. 4legbabys says:

This is a question for Connie…..Is this Dad’s dog food good for small sized senior dogs?

50. Tom Paine says:

Hysteria . . . . . hmmmmmm. Hundreds of brands recalled. Thousands of pets dead. South Africa bans import of Chinese products following pet food deaths. . . . . Belated recalls posted each Friday night. . . . . . Lack of full, detailed, accurate coverage in the media . . . . . Deaths in Panama due to poisoned products. . . . . Less than 1% of imports are inspected by the FDA.

Hysteria? No, just good common sense. I don’t believe that any family, pet owner or consumer who is exercising reasoned judgment by avoiding certain products or manufacturers should feel bad. Overall, the refrain of manufactuers is “trust me.” Well, we did, but no more. Trust must be earned, and when it is violated — inadvertently or not by someone in the supply chain — there no longer exists a basis for trust.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All