NEW RECALL: Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs Recalled

We have been able to confirm that Nutra Nuggets (made by Diamond Pet Foods) is recalling their 40 pound Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs. The contaminated batch’s product code is #NLR0404 and the Best Buy dates are October 9-10, 2008. We spoke with a vet at the Nutra Nuggets recall line and he said that so far, they had only heard of 2 cases in which the dogs had renal diseases (confirming the news report from yesterday).

He said that it was due to cross-contamination due to food being produced for Natural Balance (Natural Balance had recalls in mid-April). At this time, he said that no other food produced by Nutra Nuggets was being recalled.

(Updated) Itchmo readers and PetsitUSA found out that the contaminated Nutra Nuggets were sold at Costco locations in CA, WA, OR, AZ, and NV.

272 Responses to “NEW RECALL: Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Dry Formula for Dogs Recalled”

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 » Show All

1. Amy says:

Okay, I finally found some Evangers Organic Turkey and Butternut Squash here in town (I didn’t want to order a case online to have it rejected by the finicky feline) and it was a HUGE hit. Wow. My male, who was not affected by the recall, has been a Fancy Feast addict his entire life (almost 8 years) but lately he’s been rejecting even the FF and if he does eat it he throws up (he’s always been a little pukey but it does make me worry as all vomiting reactions to food make me nervous these days… no longer chalk it up to hairballs or wolfing food). Anyway, so I crack open the can, hoping and praying he will eat it, and what does he do? He practically pushes me out of the way to stick his nose in it andma starts eating it from the can before I can get his dish! I think (hope!) we may have finally found the replacement for kitty crack. And so long as it remains a *safe* food it won’t bother me much for his kidney-cat sister (thanks Natural Balance!) to lick up any remaining crumbs on his plate when he’s done since Rx foods basically suck but she’s stuck with it for now. I also got the whole mackeral which we may try as a bedtime snack.

2. connie says:

I dont have a small dog or a sr dog, but dads comes in several formulas. yes one I saw was for small dogs(it shows a terrier breed), but I dont see one specifically for srs.
    I still needed to read labels, cause I have 2 diabetics, one cat one dog, 2 bags of dog contained corn syrup & we cant be giving her candy :).
    you can call them though & ask, DAD’S Pet Care, 18746 Mill St., Meadville, PA 16335 or call us at 1-800-DADSPET (1-800-323-7738) weekdays between 9 a.m. & 4 p.m. Eastern time.

3. martin says:

Mandy,

Very well said to Dave’s post.

Sounds like a pet food rep to me.

If you dont like what we have to say Dave, go away.

4. kellie says:

yup, i think as soon as my next check comes in i’m gonna have to take a drive to that health foods store and try some evangers.
    I’d feel better using that than the wellness just to get away from menu all together.

I was so bummed when after a week they still wouldnt take to most merrick flavors or any of the innova dry.

I was all for homemade but with the huge waste with the new foods and his rejection of homemade fish batch i knew he wouldnt take to it and i’d have to buy huge quanities, just to possibly waste it?

the merrick looked and smelled so good for cat food too, the grammys pot pie, pft neither cat would even get withing eating distance of it.:-(

5. connie says:

whoops, nope I dont work for dads, I copied & pasted from their page.

6. 4leggedbabys says:

Thank you so much Connie. I looked up the Dad’s web site. I am going to purchase a bag of it tomorrow. I was at a loss at what to buy this time around, and you helped me out. I liked what I read on the web site. Thanks bunches!

7. kellie says:

but the stray kitties outside have started to congregate under my truck waiting for their nightly plateful of rejected food from the inside brats..heh..they love all the foods..at least they are eating quality instead of tearing into my trash nightly…heh

8. k8e says:

I completely agree with your logic, http://www.itchmo.com/read/nut.....ment-20967 and http://www.itchmo.com/read/nut.....ment-21115

I was inclined to believe it in cases where they pulled lots pre-emptively, but I’m starting to have doubts about this “cross contamination” explanation as well.

9. Mandy says:

Oh my lord, has anyone seen this over on Pet Connection?! AHHHHH!!!!

FDA ends media briefings on melamine investigation

FYI: Since there is no new information on the pet food/tainted animal feed (melamine) investigation, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Customs and Border Protection will no longer be holding regular Tuesday and Thursday media briefings on the issue. FDA’s investigation is still ongoing and an import alert remains in place for all vegetable protein products coming into the U.S. from China. FDA will notify the media when there is updated information. In the meantime, please contact FDA’s Press Office […] with any questions. Thank you.

“No new information.” Well, there you have it. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

10. Amy says:

Kellie - I tried the Merrick after the NB was recalled and before I had to put my girl on Rx foods and my male rejected it while my girl ate it. I still blame the NB for my girl’s illness but I do have my doubts about Merrick as well just because of the inconsistency of texture and appearance from one can to another. One of the cans, a seafood one (some kind of boil?) was so soupy and oily looking - they both turned up their noses to it and I couldn’t blame them. But there are people who swear by Merrick and I’m not here to tell anyone what they should or should not be feeding their pets, but I will post my experiences and allow people to draw their own conclusions. I only tried the Evangers because others on Itchmo had said it was a welcome substitute for Fancy Feast. I knew it was a gamble to try it and that my guy very well was going to reject it but I had to try and I’m glad I did. I wish you luck with it as well and would only recommend that maybe you call the store and see if they might ship you a can to sample? That way you’re not stuck with a case… I know, it’s hard… wouldn’t it be nice if a variety good, healthy, safe, pet food were available at regular retail outlets throughout the country? Dare to dream. :)

11. ann says:

Kellie - My dog annd cat fur angels also wont go near merrick. The Evangers they can’t get enough of. My cat is equally crazy about her venison and Green Pea canned

12. ann says:

Kellie - Evangers is great about sending out samples

13. ann says:

Mandy did you ever get your food samples?

14. Amy says:

lol Kellie! The rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, and other wildlife in my ‘hood are very well fed now, too! I’m sure they’re loving my kitties’ castoffs!

15. Mandy says:

Um, what food samples Ann? Sorry I’m still reeling about what I just read at Pet Connection. I mean seriously, who does the FDA think it’s kidding?!

I am proud to be a hysterical blogger! Rarrr!

16. kellie says:

thanks ann, but sadly i’m avoiding all NB.
    I got some samples and my cats liked it, (dry) not recalled. and within a day they wouldnt play, slept all day, and drank like crazy. i got rid of it.
    they seem fine now but NB is one of th eones i take biggest issue with, their slow to come out recalls and cross contamination, recipe deviation etc.

glad its working for you tho and i hope it continues to keep your furkids free of illness.
    my gut just tells me to stay away from it.
    i really liked the look and variety they offer too. :-(

17. Barb, GSD MOM says:

My GSD”S LOVEEEEE Evangers buffalo & pheasant. They mow me down…I only use the 100% meat though. I’m still nervous about the wet stuff.

18. Mandy says:

Okay so from what I’ve read, the FDA refused to have a press conference today, and China’s trade delegation is in Washington tomorrow.

I think my head just blew up again. Anybody got any super glue?

19. martin says:

The problem we have is the FDA refuses to disclose the 5th toxin. How can labs test for something they don’t know what to look for? The FDA is not doing the job they have been put here to do.
    People are out there testing the foods that should be safe when the FDA is is paid to do it for us.
    FDA is:
    1-When they find a toxin, they wont disclose it.
    2-When they know of companies that have purchased the toxic substances, they wont disclose it.
    3-When they find that chickens have tested positive for melamine, they say: Don’t worry, it wont hurt you without cyanuric acid but they dont test for the cyanuric acid.
    4-They send out a memo to THEIR employees to beware of melamine.

What’s the point of having them. They are worthless!!!!!!!

20. Kim says:

Kellie - my cat Rolly wouldn’t touch people food - ever - except for tuna. EVER. And she *loved* dry food (she used to get mostly Innova EVO) But, a few weeks into the recall I became determined to get both cats off of commercial food.

It took some experimenting, but I was finally able to get Rolly to eat home-cooked food by 1) putting the chicken (with a *little* bit of vegies mixed in) through the food processor to get the texture different and then afterwards 2) mixing canned tuna or salmon in with the chicken mixture.

She’s now eating what I make! I’m varying the flavors a little every time, and the last batch was with turkey instead of chicken. Sometimes I’m adding chopped clams (for taurine), sometimes tuna, sometimes salmon, sometimes nothing.

On the tuna - make sure it doesn’t have soy. And the salmon should be wild. (I’m getting tuna, salmon and clams from Trader Joe’s.)

On the stove right now in a big pot - 5 lbs of Trader Joe’s “Natural” chicken legs at .99/lb , with vegies (a sweet potato, a carrot and an apple) thrown in mostly for flavoring. I’ve been buying organic chicken, but they were out. This batch will be cheaper than even the best commercial food. =^..^=

Next step (eventually) - raw food.

(Disclaimers - this is my short-term home-cooking solution for my kitties, it may not meet long-term nutritional needs. Every week I learn a little more and adjust accordingly. So take this for what it is - a couple of tips that got my extremely finicky commercial-food-addict kitty Rolly to eat home cooked food!)

21. Mandy says:

As everyone probably read, China is diverting their investment plan by purchasing 1/3 of Blackstone, a big NY private equity firm. That means that instead of primarily investing in our debt (U.S. bonds), they will become part owners of U.S. and other companies that Blackstone controls. I believe I read that companies that Blackstone controls employ 385,000 Americans.

Comment by Maureen at Pet Connection

Remember how Walter Batts of the FDA made a big deal about how cooperative the Chinese were? How they got him a visa with in one day? How Dr. Ache said how cooperative China was?

Do you suppose anyone higher up in government said. “Be nice to China and hold off on any nasty attacks on their food unless you absolutely have to.”

China is on a twelve city trade tour. I missed them when there were in SF. But they made a big deal of how they were going to buy billions of dollars of high-tech goods. (as a way to deal with the trade imbalance). This week, tomorrow, the stop is D.C. The press will be going to the event and anything that looks like it would embarrass China should be pushed off until they are gone.

Food safety is one of the few levers we have to push back against the Chinese juggernaut that has been created by a combination of a desire to have access to cheap labor and to an untapped market. We also use China to cover our debt that we have taken on to pay for the war.

Comment by spocko at Pet Connection

I think my heart might explode next…

Barb GSD Mom: Teric had Canidae, Felidae, and Kumpi tested himself and they tested clean of melamine. No one has complained of Felidae making pets sick other than some have vomited (which many cats do in reaction to new food), and what I have read is cats either LOVE it or won’t TOUCH it. Canned smells good, not like cat food, but my cat would not eat it. No recalls for them. Innova or California Natural are also good to try if cats won’t eat the Felidae. My cat is eating Innova dry for part of her diet and likes it a lot.

23. ann says:

Mandy - remember the e-mail I sent you about Evanger’s?

24. kellie says:

can i request a evangers sample thru the web?
    that would be great.
    i think i can get single cans at this store but it is a hike with gas at 3.50 a gallon.

any info on how to obtain evangers samples would be fab. i called the health store and they don’t send out samples.

Alos if anyone has a pet supplies pls in their area they had TONS of several generous sized wellness, innova, and calf natural dry samples. i got a whole bagful..enough to last quite awhile all free, no limit, they have the dog food samples too.

Good way to try out a dry and not get stuck with a giant bag like i have with EVO. my cats just will not take to it.

The people who said calf nat chix was a hit were right.
    i had a sample bag of this unopened and i just opened it and my picky cat readily ate 3 mouthfuls..the most dry he’s touched in 2 weeks. i just hope it remains safe.

25. Mandy says:

Oh, no ann, I didn’t get any food samples, sorry.

26. ann says:

Kellie - I understand completely. I only feed the canned cat, and only the one flavor, this was after numerous phone calls with a regional manager who sent me in writing that they tested all their non-recalled products as well and found no contaminates - particularly melamine. They have since put stronger checks in place. I don’t feel comfortable with their dry because its made by Diamond, and Diamond has had problems before the 2007 recall.

27. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Helen,

Yes, I remember Teric posting the results. I will continue to feed the spoiled rotton Sheps their canidae with home cooking, and sometimes adding evangers 100% meat ONLY. My Sister will switch her cats to Felidae. Whew. I’m exhausted.

Thanks!

Gerry, Evangers has been reported on here as saying they do not use the menidione anymore (since last year) but that they are still using up labels. I have fed some Evangers w/ no problems but I didn’t choose the pheasant because I keep reading avacado is not good for cats. They can all their own food at their own plant.

29. ann says:

Evangers has an 800 number on their web site. They are great folks!!!

30. ann says:

1-800-288-6796 Evanger’s pet food

31. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Ann,

What about Evangers? I have two cans of pheasant left. I did not like the ingredients on the other complete wet cans of Evangers.

Thanks

32. ann says:

The organic turkey and butternut is a huge hit around here.

33. kellie says:

thx ann calling now…:-)

34. ann says:

Barb - What was it that you didn’t like?

35. connie says:

hey…uhhh what happened to 6 THOUSAND hogs??? when did it jump 50,000???? “Roughly 56,000 pigs that were fed contaminated pet food scraps are safe to be eaten, the Agriculture Department said Tuesday(last tuesday).”

36. Mandy says:

ann right now I’ve been feeding them Whiskas. Half of people say it’s good, half say it’s bad, but I’ve never heard of any of the cats getting sick from it and it’s on the safe food list. I’m having a hard time switching my older cat to it because she got addicted to the Purina junk. I will keep Evangers in mind though.

I just don’t want to go crazy switching from one cat food to another and REALLY make my older cat on a hunger strike. She’s so picky it’s not funny.

I’m keeping a sharp eye on my kitties though and if they seem to have ANY problems with the Whiskas they’ll be taken right off of it. I have noticed though, that since my older kitty has been put on some of the Whiskas her energy level has gone up, and she’s eleven years old. How about that?

37. ann says:

onnie - when someone besides the FDA did the counting……*chair fall*

38. connie says:

lol

39. ann says:

Mandy - That’s great! I know you have been through alot with trying to find decent catfood

40. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Ann,

I wanted to stay away form all those vitamins. I am a bit nervous on the wet foods since I had a problem with the recalled wet with one of my dogs. She needs to go in for another blood test soon. The last time her keidneys were 1.8. :o(

But–she acts normal.

So….

41. Barb, GSD MOM says:

ok..I can’t spell or type. I only work for a law firm.

42. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Thanks for all the advice today–me hitting the road to get attacked by dogs, horse & goats. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh………nothing better.

43. ann says:

Mandy, if its any consolation My cat was a Purina Junkie as well. I Was pulling my hair out trying to switch her to canned. What finally worked was first putting a few flakes of tuna in water on her food, then pressing the flakes into the food until finally she discovered she really liked the food. I can still only get her to eat 3 different flavors out of all the brands out there. One of them is the Evangers Turkey and Butternut squash.

44. martin says:

Everyone is talking about Evangers. I see the Pheasant & Chicken dry’s. Anyone have a suggestion between these?

45. martin says:

PS. Just noticed Evangers doesnt have dry cat food on the website. Do they offer this?

46. ann says:

Barb - I only feed my dog about a third of a can with her dry food daily. I don’t feed my dog strictly wet, oly my cat.

Connie,

didn’t ya know . . . you can’t blink during this recall! ;)

they slip out a relatively low number (compared to the real number) then casually up it. then skip over it for a week or so. and then quietly slip it onto our dinner plates.

48. Stephanie says:

Here is what I am not getting regarding the Wilbur Ellis five. Royal Canin issued the first recall on April 19th. That was around the time that Wilbur Ellis issued the recall. In their first press release, they referred to the supplier as “our company”. April 19th is the same day that Cereal ByProducts issued the recall and remained unnamed. Cereal ByProducts statement said that two companies issued recalls around the date that they announced it. I am still not sure who the second one is and we all know that the third didn’t come forward. In Royal Canin’s May 11th recall, they had no problem stating that Cereal ByProducts supplied the rice protein. Did they actually get rice protein from Wilbur Ellis? I can’t find anything to confirm that other than media reporting that they issued a recall at the same time that the Wilbur Ellis recalls were announced. I am not so sure that all five have been named. Call me suspicious, but most involved in this fiasco have been less than honest.

If any one has anything linking Royal Canin and Wilbur Ellis, could you point me in that direction?

49. ann says:

Martin - No, only dry dog food. Check out the websites I posted earlier about feeding cats. I became a convert real quick, and my cat is thriving. She’s almost 14

50. Mandy says:

ann she flat out refuses to eat wet food. She’s been that way since she was a kitten. Thankfully Whiskas does make dry food. She actually doesn’t care for tuna, she likes chicken. My young two year old loves Whiskas and eats the wet and the dry quite happily.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 » Show All