Ellen

The owner of Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency is claiming that she has received death threats after the public has heard the story of Ellen DeGeneres giving an adopted dog, Iggy, away to her hairdresser and her two daughters, ages 11 and 12.

Marina Baktis, the owner of Mutts and Moms, said that DeGeneres violated the organization’s policy by giving Iggy away to another family without notifying them. Baktis then took the dog away from the hairdresser.

Despite DeGeneres’ pleas, Baktis refused to give back the dog because she violated her agreement with the agency. Also the shelter said it has a policy of not giving puppies to families with children younger than 14.

Baktis said, “If Ellen wants to start her own rescue group then she can decide where the dogs go. Who is she to say who is a good home and whose not? And who is she to say where I should place my animals and how I should do this? I don’t tell her how to run her show.”

On “Good Morning America”, Batkis’ lawyer played a message that he said is from a DeGeneres public relations representative.

The voice mail said: “We’re filing a legal case against you. We’re going to be contacting the media. This is not going to be good for your store or your organization.”

Batkis stated that she would not return Iggy because of the way she has been treated by DeGeneres. She also said she has received death threats and is afraid for her safety. She filed a police report with the Pasadena Police Department last night.

DeGeneres stated on her show today, “This has become so insane. It’s not even, it’s just just the dog just needs to go to the family. It’s like the fight should … not be about anything. It just needs to be in a good home. That’s all you’re supposed to do is put a dog in a loving home.”

Source: ABC News, TMZ

130 Responses to “Owner Of Mutts And Moms Dog Rescue Agency Files Police Report After Claims Of Death Threats”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

1. Ryan says:

I don’t care what some of you dumbasses say. Ellen didn’t do anything that wrong, that Mutts and Mom woman is a stupid evil bitch saying “awww Ellen wasn’t my best friend so I’ll hurt everyone involved.”

2. John says:

Solution … M&M approves Ellen’s hairdresser and gives dog back to them. Ellen donates $10,000 to M&M. Win-win.

3. SMITH111 says:

One more note on pet adoption agencies. Some are as bad as Menu Foods. Just in it for the money. I adopted a cat after two of my cats died from posioned pet foods. When I adopted the new cat I was told she was healthy. That she had just gotten over a cold. They had given her antibiotics twice. At this point she was only 5 months old (they told me she was 4 months old). Well, to try and make a long story short, I had her at the vets three times before I could get her fixed. She went on antibiotics two more times. I called the agency on several occasions and they NEVER called me back. I wouldn’t have taken her back under any circumstances, but did they give a S**T? NO. They got their money. At least, the end of this story turned out well. She is fixed and healthy now and has not had a relaspe since she was fixed. Moral to this story, don’t believe that all pet adoption agencies have the welfare of their pets at heart. Sad, but true.

4. SMITH111 says:

NO. The court orders M&M to return the dog back to the family.
    Ellen donates money to a respected pet adoption agency. To hell with M&M!

5. SMITH111 says:

WIN - WIN for the ANIMALS. NOT M&M.

6. elena says:

Ellen found a GOOD home–the object of pet adoption. Lady get a grip,
    check out the family, make an exception. Rules are guidelines written
    on paper, not carved on stones that can be hurled and hurt others. Dog
    was happy, hairdresser and family happy , Ellen happy–you unhappy
    and sharing it with the world. Bad PR for you the way you are handling
    it, cooperate, work it out, give over yourself.

7. Lynn says:

Ryan - right on!

Smith111 - that’s the way.

Jenny Bark - I heard Tuesday that Ellen didn’t even have a home inspection. Sounds to me like Marina practices discrimination to the hilt. This woman is an opportunist with an axe to grind.

The 5013c is registered to a Woodland Hills, CA, Address…try 4610 Cerrillos. Wonder if Iggy is hiding out there. This address is just 30 miles from the Pasadena Mutts and Moms store on Raymond in Pasadena.

And to all those who think Ellen was hysterical…..hey, she handled it better than I would have.

Funny how the other Mutts and Mom woman has disappeared from the picture [Vannessa?]. Maybe she had enough sense to back off?

Also, that voicemail that Marina supposedly received from Ellen’s employee - I would like to think that Ellen is smart enough to hire people who know better than to do this. I have to wonder if this wasn’t an Ellen fan who thought she’d scare off Marina.

8. highnote says:

I think having the age of 14 or over is really stupid. I had a dog when I was young and never miss treated him. To take this puppy away from a family just because of her stupid rules is really sad and terribly wrong. You would think if she had an feeling for animals at all that she would not have done this.

9. KimS says:

Ellen broke the rules and admitted it. M&M had rules and followed them. My first thought was the age rule is an odd rule. But then again, when we adopted our dog from another agency, they made us sign a paper with a lot of rules on it. One being we are not allowed to give the dog to another home. It’s practical. Agencies adopt to people they don’t know very well and it’s all for the wellbeing of the animal.
    It’s good that they have standards.
    Ellen used her “celebrity” status and power to get back at M&M for not getting her way.
    Celebrities often don’t think the rules apply to them and that is the sad thing.
    The dog will get a good home soon and Ellen should get off her soap box. She thought she was above the rules.
    It’s also pretty sad when wackos give death threats to people over giving a hairdressers daughter a dog.
    I think Ellen is using her out of wack emotions to manipulate the situation because she felt out of control. She is supposed to be responsible with that power and not incite selfish riots.
    This could have all been handled in private but she dramatically chose not to.
    She’s not really too different from Rush Limbaugh or Bill O Reilly huh?

10. KimS says:

OK, one more thing. Not all agencies are on the up and up. Some are downright greedy. I don’t know M&M so I couldn’t say, but honestly Ellen is a bit over the top.

11. Scratch says:

KimS,

There is a bigger picture here. Rest of the story……….many people will read and watch the reports and opt to purchase rather than adopt.

Don’t get me wrong, Ellen breached the contract. But, the hairdresser should have been given more opportunity to prove herself a viable home. Poor Iggy was moved again. I have seen no further reporting than the problem M & M had with the hairdresser home was a matter of the difference between an 11 and 14 year old. Minor detail.

12. KimS says:

Well M&M are obviously being very stubborn about this dog which is pretty weird. They could at least do a real home check rather than just storming the place.
    I don’t like celebrities much, so maybe I was judging it by that.
    How do you change the name on a microchip???
    I’m going to have that done.

the mutts and mom bitch couldn’t care less about the dog. she probably has another friend/buyer who wanted the “ellen” dog, probably paid more than $600 for it. it’s all about the money people.

14. Jana says:

Maybe Oprah, the dog lover and good neighbor that she is to Ellen, can get involved as well.

15. Lis says:

KimS–M&M had rules and didn’t follow them; no home inspection for Ellen when all was sweetness and light and she was writing checks to them! And it’s pretty clear they did not do what most shelters and rescues do, point out that return clause.

They only became sticklers for rules when they decided they were mad at Ellen. And now they say the family can’t have the dog–because of how Ellen treated them! (And is there a time/date stamp on the voicemail from her staffer? Be interesting to know when in the sequence of events that message, if real, was actually left.) She shouldn’t get any extra advantages for being a celebrity, but she shouldn’t be hurt for it, either–and certainly innocent third parties, including the dog, should not be hurt for it.

Changing the name on a microchip–find out which company it’s from (if you don’t already know; it’s as simple as having your vet’s office scan it), and contact the company. It can take about a month, because they need to contact and verify the change with the former owner, or if the former owner doesn’t respond, wait a reasonable period of time to be able to say they won’t respond. They’ll then change the information–which is not actually on the chip, but stored in the company’s computers, keyed to the number on the chip.

16. Anon says:

Ellen screwed up by giving the dog away and the rescue had the right to take the dog back - period. But I have to say that this whole thing could have been avoided had they followed their policies from the beginning. I’ve read that Ellen has given several dogs away. For that reason I would not adopt a dog to her. She obviously wants an animal that is perfect and fits in from the get go. That is usually not realistic - especially with a rescue animal (and a puppy!). I would rather a family have the dog sleep at their home instead of pay a vet to take it to his. I would rather have a family train a dog themselves and not send it off to be trained. Perhaps this rescue feels that they were blinded by Ellen’s status at the beginning and don’t want to make that mistake again.

17. catmom5 says:

The absolute worst thing that will come out of this is a black mark on all rescue and adoption agencies. I fear it will affect the donations and decisions about adopting vs buying. Perhaps ED and M&M should consider the ripple effects of their public temper tantrums. There seems to be plenty of blame to go around here.

This tells the story;

“Batkis stated that she would not return Iggy because of the way she has been treated by DeGeneres.”

What is this a playground fight at recess? Give adoption papers for the hairdresser to sign and tell Ellen off and never let Ellen adopt from M&M again because she violated the adoption agreement. Don’t punish the dog because of a broken contract!

Batkis says she refuses to be pushed around by the DeGenereses of the world. Sounds like a personal issue and a power play by M&M to make an example of a celebrity. Is there any prejudice here?

Batkis lawyer friend immediately started bad press about Ellen saying she didn’t love the dog. Trying to get the public against Ellen? HOw does he know? The dog was too wild with her other animals. She probably did love the dog and that’s just why she found it another good home instead of sending it back to the shelter.

Batkis went on the hairdresser’s property under false pretenses saying she was going to do a home inspection NOT. She took the dog away with no inspection - She lied and made a big show for publicity by bringing police. She is the one that increased the publicity for the case long before Ellen told the story on her show.

M&M doesn’t follow its own rules of doing home inspection for all adoptions as it said it did.

Was there a time line for having the microchip changed over to a new owner or having the dog fixed? Was this dog fixed before it was adopted?

Ellen did not tell her fans to write or call M&M with death threats. M&M should not have received these threats if it’s true and probably is but they did deserve to hear how bad they handled the issue. Thousands of people have called, emailed or blogged this story.

Ellen was wrong to hand the dog to a another family without telling the shelter. But. Remember she found the dog another home, whichwas supposed to be the purpose of the rescue shelter to begin with. The actions taken show that the dog’s best interest didn’t appear to be the goal.

Is the dog really adopted to a new family or is it with a rescue group friend of Marina’s so it will never be turned over to Ellen’s hairdresser.

The hairdresser should be backed by Ellen’s $$$ and fight for the dog. The hairdresser should sue M&M for coming on her property, lying, and taking the dog.

This is a case of stubborness and being narrow minded. The dog’s happiness was not considered and the owner of M&M should be evaluated by the APSCA for how she handled the case and have her past adoption papers reviewed to see what she did and how many of her own rules she broke in past adoptions.

I’d like to hear from other people who adopted dogs from M&M.

19. Sophia says:

I am a volunteer with rescue groups on the east coast and know many people involved with rescue. I have never heard of an adoption contract that does not require the dog to be returned if it’s adopter can’t keep it. Ellen did not bother to read the terms of the contract (and it was not a long one with “small print”). Or, if as others have written, the contract was signed by her partner, then it was not even Ellen’s dog to give away in the first place.

There is no assurance that the hairdresser’s home was a good one for the puppy. Ellen had no business just casually giving the dog away. Although she threw $$ at the puppy’s issue with cats, it doesn’t sound like she did much HERSELF to deal with the puppy. And I’m sure that amount of money means very little to her. Unlike what several people have written here, adopted dogs should not be treated as “property” once the adoption fee has been paid.

Both sides in this situation have made mistakes. However, the rescue group was well within its rights to remove the dog from a home it had not approved, and certainly did the right thing by taking a dog away from the person who was walking with it out in public without a leash. Rescues deal with thousands of injured, abandoned, “treated as property” animals and have put the requirements of their contracts in place based on their many experiences dealing with people and animals.

The general public just has no idea of what rescues go through to save and rehome pets. Rescue people devote their lives and resources the help animals and for people to condemn and threaten this particular rescue because of one incident is stupid and shortsighted. If you have not been a part of rescue, you have no business judging this particular group.

20. Judy says:

This is a very sad situation I just hope Iggy has a good home at the end ot the day. I have a lot of respect for shelters, private or public kill or no kill. It’s tough for most employees and volunteers to work in kill shelters but they do it for the animals (yes I know there are bad shelters and some bad people who work in them).

That said when I adopted the two cat that I lost this year from a kill shelter in 1991 there was the same prevision that if I was to give them up I had to give them back to the shelter. Would I have ever done that? Hell no as it was both my kitties were sick from something going around at the shelter and they ended up paying for my girl’s vet bills. After agreeing to pay the bills I got a call from their vet who offered to take her back. At first I was confused and thought he meant hospitize her and then I realized he wanted her back and would put her down. The conversation turned ugly at that point when I informed the vet she was not a broken toaster.

I guess a little off topic there but the point is there is plenty of blame to go around here. Ellen should have contacted the shelter and told them she couldn’t keep the dog but the shelter seems to have unrealistic rules and to seize an animal without checking the home is stupid IMHO. The welfare of the dog should have been the most important thing. Taking an animal away from a loving home is wrong.

There are plenty of animals put to sleep every day in shelters because there are not enought homes or homes can’t be found or the adoption fee is too much or the rules are too strict, or somebody doesn’t like the shape of an animals nose. This is the sad thing about this whole tale there are plenty of other animals available, and this mess might just keep someone else from going to a shelter to rescue a perfectly good dog or cat.

21. Tanya says:

One thing no one is talking about is that this is NOT how legal disputes over property issues are resolved.

The owners (hairdresser) of the dog have a HUGE case against M7M AND against the police.

If you have in your possession, somethign that i claim is mine, i **must** by law go to court to get a court order to remove it. a private citizen cannot remove something on the *claim* that “it is mine” pending a court saying so. why? cause it is a disputed issue. I could be lying, you could be lying - cops do not know who is lying and are specifically ENJOINED from removing something (or SOMEONE) from a premise without court order.

What if they had the wrong dog?
    What if the chip malfuncitoned
    What if it was an out right lie?
    What if there is (as most of us suspect) a *legal* presumption of owner ship that is NOT assocated with a chip. (that is, if i give my legal dog to my sister, and she doesn’t chip it, or register the chip, it is *still* her legal dog. registration is NOT proof of ownership).

This is beyond legally BS. and that anyone would support this shelter and thier blatently ILLEGAL tacticts is beyond me.

22. Carol Johnson says:

I found this on the internet…

Corporation
    MUTTS & MOMS
    Number: C2693823 Date Filed: 12/20/2004
    Status: suspended
    Jurisdiction: California
    Address
    4610 CERRILLOS DR
    WOODLAND HILLS, CA 91364
    Agent for Service of Process
    PHILIP D HODGEN
    140 S LAKE AVE STE 250
    PASADENA, CA 91101 CA Sec of State

Suspended is defined as:

Suspended: The California corporation has lost all rights and powers for failure to meet statutory filing requirements of either the Secretary of State’s office or the Franchise Tax Board. Information regarding the type of suspension can be obtained by requesting a status report. Fees and instructions for requesting a status report are included on the Business Entities Records Order Form. CA Sec of State

23. shibadiva says:

I guess we can expect the same kerfuffle if Angelina Jolie places one of her adopted children with a friend? Although Jolie does seem to keep them for longer than 2 weeks.

24. Purringfur says:

I think that Ellen first tried to make the situation work with her current pets, but it didn’t, so she had the dog trained elsewhere, outside her home.

Is this any different from celebrities or other wealthy people packing up their dogs and sending them to Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer’s “Dog Psychology Center” in Los Angeles for training with Cesar’s dog pack?

Are other celebrities degraded for sending their dogs to Cesar for weeks at a time? No, they’re viewed as trying to HELP their dogs.

Just presenting another point of view…

I hope Iggy has a good home now, although I believe he should go back to the home where he bonded with the hairdresser and her family.

25. rikki says:

Ellen’s credibility went flying out the door with me when she chose to publically chastise and berate this rescue on her show.

Part of this story is confusing to me: The dog from what I read was adopted on Sept. 20 - that is not even a month ago (yes, now coming up close however) So the dog had all this money spent on it for training and it didn’t work so it was given to another home…and that home “bonded” with the dog. Do these people live in the same real time that the rest of us do? That is a LOT of stuff happening in 3 weeks from what I can piece together.

I have 2 adult rescue dogs - these transitions take more than a week, no matter how much $$$ you spend. I too have cats, so I do have experience with bringing dogs into a household with other established pets. Time and patience works, money, well that hasn’t had much of an impact on how my dogs and cats get along each other…

Personally I don’t think Ellen is in any way, shape or form qualified to chose another home for this dog. Her judgement seems to be bad to begin with by adopting this little guy, expecting money to make his transition into the household go quick and easy, giving up on him almost immediately and then sending it to the hairdresser’s home.

26. rikki says:

Part of this story is confusing to me: The dog, from what I read, was adopted by Ellen and her partner on Sept. 20 - that is not even a month ago (yes, but now coming up close.) So Ellen then spent all this money on the dog for training and that didn’t work so it was given to another home, the hairdresser’s…and that home then “bonded” with the dog. Do these people live in the same real time that the rest of us do? That is a LOT of stuff happening in a little over 3 weeks from what I can piece together.

I have 2 adult rescue dogs - these transitions take more than a week no matter how much $$$ you spend. I too have cats, so I do have experience with bringing dogs into a household with other established pets. Time, patience and vigilance works; money, well that hasn’t had much of an impact on how my dogs and cats get along each other…

Personally I don’t think Ellen is in any way, shape or form qualified to chose another home for this dog. Her judgement seemed to be bad to begin with by adopting this little guy, expecting money to make his transition into her household go quick and easy, giving up on him almost immediately and then sending it to the hairdresser’s home.

27. rikki says:

Sorry for the double posts - I was trying to edit a couple sentences and hit the wrong button.

My apologies,

rikki

28. Scratch says:

Sophia,

I have personally rescued many hundreds of homeless pets over 41 years on the east coast. I have set up low cost spay/neuter appointments and assisted veterinarians do the altering. When there were rabies clinics many dogs and cats rode in my car from pounds to the clinics and unfortunately back to the pounds. This was an effort to make them more adoptable.

My lifetime of volunteering and self education for the benefit of unfortunate companion animals has brought me many heartaches and fond memories. There are not many pounds or shelters in my state that have not been personally visited.

For me this issue goes beyond the papers. There is no proof being presented to me that the hairdresser is an unsuitable home. As per the accounts presented, M & M has not followed their own policies of a home visitation to Ellen. But yet is unwilling to consider flexibility on the age policy of the children. Show me where there is proven or stated that the hairdresser is an unsuitable home, beyond a piece of paper.

This is a prime example why I no longer directly volunteer for a group. I freelance my rescue efforts and work well with many groups in a mutual effort to save lives.

Iggy has once again been recycled into another home. It has not been proven to me that this is for his best interest. Show me where the hairdresser proves to be a bad placement and I side with you, beyond the age restriction on a piece of paper. For me that’s the bottom line.

29. stella blue says:

My brother brought every animal home that you can imagine when we were kids. Dogs, large, small, medium, cats, furry, short-haired, snakes, lizards, raccoons, baby possum…etc, etc…
    we never had any “personality conflicts” among them- with the exception of the snakes and lizards (which were always set free) all was well in the animal kingdom of St. Gregory….
    They were so happy to have love, a lot of play, and a meal. It’s still that way- Ellen just needed Cesar Milan- I would recommend my brother, but he has passed on. Whatever happens to Iggy- my brother will be there to greet him on the other side. Not to worry
    Sometimes, you can go out and BUY a pet- you don’t even have to go through so much anguish to get them - sometimes, a friends dog has puppies or kittens and you can get one like that- we got one of our BEST cats from under a house - an orange tabby- one of the great love’s of my life-

30. stella blue says:

In regards to what has taken place between Ellen and the agency- well, that’s too bad. The kids can be comforted by the fact that the dog is still alive and well - take them and let them pick out a NEW dog that they can keep- life is full of suffering- they should accept this and move on because they are dealing with a stubborn, rigid woman who does not want to budge and doesn’t care about how they feel, after all, it’s the RULE…. oh well…poor dog - getting all shuffled around-
    No one is happy- not even the dog…

31. Raylyne says:

I have done rescue, and I understand how frustrating contract violations can be. HOWEVER, if the puppy was not being mistreated and is in a home where it is loved and treated as a family memeber… Mutts and Moms should have done a new contract to minimized the confusion for the puppy. Then again when you don’t really give a $hit about animals and their well being it is easy to say, “NO! you violated the contract”, and snatch the puppy from yet another home. If you ask me, SOMEONE wanted to be on TV. That woman should no longer be allowed to particpate in a rescue operation. The time and money wasted on this incident could have been redirected and saved several other dogs from destruction.

32. Michelle says:

They threatened to go public first - that is why Ellen did this

33. Merlin Marshall says:

Ellen is completely irresponsible and a complete jerk. She knows she is causing this woman trouble and intends to get her harrassed and threatened. At this point I wouldn’t give the dog back either! Besides, who’s to say the woman with the kids wouldn’t decide in a couple of weeks when the kids are tired of the novelty of the dog to just get rid of it? Ellen is completely in the wrong and disgusts me totally. I hope she rots in hell.

34. CD says:

It was Ellen who first made those threats:

Please note: ” On “Good Morning America”, (Mutts & Moms) lawyer played a message that he said is from a DeGeneres public relations representative.

So Ellen’s ‘people’ first tried intimidation, and when that didn’t work, she went public on her TV show. No wonder Baktis said she had been ‘bullied’.

What is scary here, is how so many people immediately ‘know’ that Ellen’s on-air version of the story is the only true one–without even hearing all the facts from both sides. Do you really think you ‘know’ a celebrity based on their public image?

My view: The on-air crying is either a clever ploy or an immature tantrum to get what she wants.

When things escalated to death threats, it’s a frightening example of how much influence a celebrity can wield.

I agree with Rikki, at the very least, this damages Ellen’s carefully crafted ‘nice’ image. For a celebrity, that’s really something to cry about.

35. Phoebe says:

Sounds like the rescue has double standards. They didn’t do a home inspection, yet adopted out to Ellen’s partner. Then they took the dog back because of the “no children under 14″ rule.

They can’t pick and choose their rules based on each case, and then get self-righteously indignant that a rule was violated by someone else. Batkis put her foot in it when she said, “Who is she [Ellen] to say who is a good home and whose not?” Oh, the irony. Batkis might want to actually check out a home, herself, before throwing that particular stone.

It’s odd, but seeing as this org. had no problem adopting out to Ellen’s partner without a home inspection, is it suddenly a big deal because now the rescue knows Ellen is involved? One wonders if a follow-up home inspection would’ve suddenly found that original couple ‘not qualified’ to adopt for a trumped-up issue when it was really because of Ellen being a well-known lesbian. Her partner probably wasn’t recognized, but Ellen most certainly would have been. I wonder if Iggy would’ve been ’saved’ by a rescue team with police back-up at Ellen’s home had Ellen kept the dog in the first place.

Interesting. Prejudiced and despicable, if true, but still…interesting.

Poor Iggy. If he ends up with behavioral issues, Batkis will blame everyone but herself.

As for the recording Batkis’ lawyer played of Ellen’s representative, we have only his word that that’s who it really is on that tape. Why would I believe him at this point? Does his office have people stupid enough to leave threatening messages on recording machines? if so, then Batkis has real legal problems to deal with - starting with her own lawyer.

36. Carol Johnson says:

As a person with PR experiece….I can not imagine any PR person leaving such a message. Lets wait and see what happens….I would bet this was a hoax on the part of some idiot who thought this would help.

37. Flamin says:

I can’t believe the vindictive, controlling behavior of Marina Baktis, the owner of Mutts and Moms! Whining, and complaining about her heart palpitations, but never once mentioning how Iggy, or the two little children might feel. What a bitter, selfish old woman, she should not be in the animal rescue business. It’s seems she is more concerned about herself, that what is in the animals best interest! I don’t believe she is a real pet rescue, but only a dog mill in disguise anyway. Seems like she has repoed other dogs from new parents before, and turned around and resold them, according to the press. I sure hope she didn’t put poor Iggy down, out of spite. If M&M’s resold/readopted out Iggy, I hope the person will do the right thing, and contact Ellen, or the family, so the family can be evaluated for a forever home for Iggy, with the two children where Iggy belongs. I also hope M&M’s gets investigated, or audited soon.

M&M’s Plain? Or just plain Nuts!

38. Flamin says:

btw, the real reason Baktis took down her web site, was to add the new, “no children under age 14 rule”

But she can’t re edit the information on the way back machine archives:)

No where on her site is the no children under 14 age restriction. I believe Baktis was pissed off at Ellen, the Ellen didn’t keep Iggy. If Ellen had kept Iggy, Baktis would have had her business boosted stating she placed Iggy with Ellen DeGeneres, a public relations celebrity status.

Flamin’,

aren’t web archives *fun*? ;)

from april 07 web archive:

Kids:
    Do you have children under 12 or 14? Getting a dog is like adding another child to your household. And a puppy is even harder. Many families find that with the demands of raising children and driving them to various activities, they don’t have time to housebreak or train a puppy. And soon the little puppy becomes a big dog jumping on children and guests, begging for attention, and even getting into trouble. Obedience training is recommended for every household member, so everyone is practicing the same techniques (consistent practice is the key to training). We strongly recommend families consider a more mature dog whose size and temperament is known. A dog who seems happy, active, likes to be touched, and is not sensitive to handling and noise is typically a good choice for homes with children.

If you want a puppy, why? No matter how adorable, all puppies grow up, and grow quickly. A cute, sweet little puppy can become a rough and difficult dog if not given consistent, effective obedience training. Being good with children is highly dependent on the breed, temperament and practicing good obedience training. If you have a busy household, a puppy is not the best choice. Puppies require more supervision and training, especially for discouraging common behavior such as jumping, chewing and nipping.

What size is right for you? If you have children in the home, tiny breeds are a poor choice, since children can accidentally hurt the dog, and many small breeds are naturally wary of children. Choose a dog with whom the children can safely play. And size does not indicate energy level; some small boisterous terriers seem to take up more room and time than a large calm dog. If you live in an apartment or condo, look for a reasonably quiet dog — and practice techniques for avoiding separation anxiety from day one. (A dog with separation anxiety will often howl and bark, as well as destroy things out of fear, when left alone.)

40. CD says:

RE: the voicemail from DeGeneres’ people:

There hasn’t been a retraction, to my knowledge, from GMA or others, regarding that voicemail. And no protest from the DeGeneres side, that it was a hoax.

Surely there would be immediate legal action if it was false–and loud public comment from DeGeneres’ legal team.

On last night’s local (Los Angeles) news, there was a report giving more of the Mutts and Moms’ side of the story. But no indication that they had presented false evidence with that tape.

Just following up on this point because–amid all the snap judgements and speculating–it’s an item of factual evidence. Worth further evaluation.

41. Sophia says:

Raylyne wrote: If you ask me, SOMEONE wanted to be on TV.

Get a grip! I’m sure she really is enjoying the death threats, rumor mongers and bad publicity.

Phoebe wrote: One wonders if a follow-up home inspection would’ve suddenly found that original couple ‘not qualified’ to adopt for a trumped-up issue when it was really because of Ellen being a well-known lesbian. Her partner probably wasn’t recognized, but Ellen most certainly would have been. I wonder if Iggy would’ve been ’saved’ by a rescue team with police back-up at Ellen’s home had Ellen kept the dog in the first place.

Huh? This is ridiculous. Ellen’s partner is a well-known actress. Why in the world would you suggest that the rescue is homophobic? Are you trying to create more rumors? If so, this is really a stretch.

and then she wrote:

You are not making any sense here. Are you implying that Batkis’s lawyer is a liar? Why so? Or are you saying you think the lawyer sent the message? Either way, you are making some outrageously stupid remarks.

42. Flamin says:

Thanks straybaby, do you have the direct link to that statement? Yes web archives are fun:)
    From your copy and pasted info. “Kids:
    Do you have children under 12 or 14? ” “We strongly recommend families consider a more mature dog whose size and temperament is known”

This still to me does NOT explain why M&M did not do a home study before placing Iggy into Ellens home, except that Baktis have other PR motives/celebrity status motives to boost her pet business. I say pet business, not pet rescue. Also your copy and pasted infor only recommends larger breeds for children under 14, not that they won’t consider placement on a case by case home study evaluation:)

43. Flamin says:

I think the police officer was the worst offender here. I don’t know what the contract reads but IMO, this is a civil matter to be settled in a civil forum, a court room! I can’t believe it would have a clause allowing a public servant, police officer to side step the system and take the dog by force. The trauma and brutality of how this was handled is horrible. If the dog was stolen, I think it might be a different story but in my neck of the woods, the cop would have been directed to leave as soon as he got there. Civil matter, not criminal. Can anyone now claim someones dog is their dog, and cops bust in and haul the dog away?

44. KimS says:

OK, I’m seeing it more clearly now. I didn’t know the whole story.
    Clearly M&M didn’t act well.

When we adopted our dog, they didn’t exactly try him out with cats that well so getting it so they didn’t attack each other took a couple of months. Clearly Ellen was a bit hasty with getting them used to each other.

But WHEN are people going to stop treating celebrities like the rules don’t apply to them. The greed/power/and the idea of breathing the celebrities rarified air gets to them I guess. And some celebrities expect it. I don’t know if Ellen and her gal are like that or not. I like Ellen and I appreciate what rescue orgs go through. It’s a sticky situation.

I’d be upset if someone tried to take my dog away too.
    I heard iggy got a new home so I hope people leave those new adopters ALONE!!!

Hope this furor dies down soon.

45. Flamin says:

Whatever the case, I think M&M’s could have at least conducted themselves in a better manner. When the new family filled out M&M’s pet adoption form, Instead of taking the address, and other personal information from the form to take Iggy, M&M’s could have done a home study. If the family was found not suitable for Iggy, then M&M’s could have gone to court to get the dog back, if they didn’t comply. If I were the children’ss mom, I would be filing an action for trama and distress it caused my children when Baktis entered their home under false pretenses, and snatched the dog. Since the hairdresser was not a party to this contract, I think they may have a good case to get Iggy placed back into their home.
    BTW, I have a chihuahua, and a 10 year old. Both get along great, since I have taught my child to always be gentle with animals.

46. Bridgett says:

Apparently, the cop took the dog because it’s microchip was still registered to Mutts and Moms.

It is interesting the Ellen hasn’t requested a retraction of the threatening phone call from the PR person.

47. Lynn says:

One thing I wish everyone would understand:

Ellen was never at fault. She never signed the papers. [Life partner did.] So if she didn’t sign the adoption papers how could she possibly know that what she was about to do was wrong?

Marina has made this all about HER, not about the dog.

And another thing: don’t construe the fact that the M&M corporation license was suspended is bad. This [as I am told] is what happens when you receive your 5013c [non-profit status]. You do away with one license in order to use another license.

But the question remains: Was Marina’s boutique selling things to benefit the animals under the non-profit org license? Or was she using her non-profit status to avoid paying taxes on the monies brought in by the boutique? I’m sure ED’s attorney has the clerks checking out the financials here. Or at least I hope so.

48. Flamin says:

Bridgett, is that the so called death threat that Baktis is whining about? I didn’t find it to be a death threat, but someone saying “We’re filing a legal case against you. We’re going to be contacting the media. This is not going to be good for your store or your organization.” I don’t think that statement is illegal to tell someone they are taking them to court, and it wouldn’t be good for anyone to go through court since it is time consuming, and expensive to boot!
    “Batkis’ lawyer played a message that he said is from a DeGeneres public relations representative.” Guess we will have to wait and see who made that call, or if anything will be filed in the future. Again I hope Baktis dog business is throughly investigated, and audited too. What is going on behind those covered gates?

49. Lynn says:

For all we know, that call from Ellen’s delegate [yeah, sure….with her money do you think she’s going to hire someone that stupid to make a call like that???] really came from one of Marina’s friends or an Ellen fan who thought he? she? was doing ED a favor.

50. Lynn says:

Kim: I have a hunch about Iggy getting a new home.

Either:

1 - Marina was offered a bundle for Iggy because it was a celebri-dog,
    2 - Marina’s got the dog tucked away somewhere and is holding it as a pawn [perhaps hoping ED will offer a huge amount to “settle”]

In either case, Marina has made this all about HER and NOT about the welfare of the animal. Who knows, she might be a brilliant extortionist and may have been planning this all along.

Wish someone would contact the woman M&M stalked before and find out what she had to do to get her newly adopted [from them] dog back.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All