Last week, we posted about a canine parvovirus outbreak in Lebanon, Pennsylvania. The deadly disease was affecting certain parts of the city and the Humane Society of Lebanon County. At least 27 dogs in the area have died from the virus in the past few weeks.
Now, more parvovirus outbreaks are spreading in several other states. In Wake County, North Carolina, there has been a spike in cases of parvovirus in the area. Nine puppies tested positive for this virus last week.
In Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Kent County Animal Shelter remains closed after a wave of parvovirus swept through the facility. The health department says the shelter was forced to euthanize more than 2 dozen dogs that were infected and had to completely disinfect the building.
From a health press release:
Canine parvovirus, or CPV, attacks and destroys intestinal cells resulting in excessive diarrhea and vomiting, usually accompanied by blood and a strong odor. The first symptoms manifest three to 10 days after infection. Successful treatment of CPV depends upon early detection; a dog with CPV must immediately be placed on intravenous fluids and antibiotics. If left untreated, most dogs will die from dehydration or bacterial infection in a matter of days. Even when CPV is detected early, hospitalization can last up to a week and result in unexpected expenses.
Aside from vaccination, the most important thing pet owners can do to prevent the virus is keep their pets away from areas occupied by infected dogs. The virus spreads mainly through contact with infected feces, soil or surfaces, and displays unusual resilience, surviving harsh weather and most forms of disinfection.
Sources: NBC17.com, WOOD-TV