People Ate Tainted Pork, We May Be On the Verge of Crisis

The Chicago Tribune has detailed information (reg. req.) on how a pet food recall has brought a federal agency to its knees. The agency admits being behind the curve, while the bulk of the investigation has yet to begin. Also, FDA is investigating an Illinois shipment of rice protein used in human food.

Here are the highlights:

The end of this pet food crisis appears more elusive than ever…

About 45 [California] state residents ate pork from hogs that consumed animal feed laced with melamine from China.

What last month was a limited recall of canned pet food is on the verge of becoming a full-fledged public health scare.

The FDA’s real detective work may be just beginning. Having found many sources of contamination, investigators must now determine exactly how widespread the problem is and how it began.

More highlights after the jump.

From the Chicago Tribune:

The investigation’s progress in Illinois alone illustrates the problem.

About half of the 32 FDA investigators in the state have worked on responding to more than 500 complaints of sick or deceased dogs and cats since the recalls began March 16. They must collect medical records from veterinarians and gather samples of contaminated pet food.

The office is also involved in recall effectiveness. “It’s very taxing on our resources,” said Scott MacIntire, director of the FDA’s Chicago office, which oversees state operations.

MacIntire said his office is investigating a shipment of rice protein concentrate imported to Illinois and potentially used in a human product.

121 Responses to “People Ate Tainted Pork, We May Be On the Verge of Crisis”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

1. YaYa says:

**Can Not Read Chicago Tribune nor LA Times** articles here, without a “sign-in” {ie: account}
    I know I’m not the onlyone to have this non-access issue.

I’ve been going to the Print sites and printing out as many articles, on the is whole Nasty Doping and Contami-nation issue, for more than a month. I’d Love to be able to get access to ALL the News article LINKS HERE, if it can be done somehow!

Can Anyone help?

Thanks!

2. ValFL says:

www.bugmenot.com may be able to help you.

3. Ann says:

If the article asks for an email account to login and password, then Bugmenot isn’t much help.

4. Julia says:

Ann, check it out:

5. Sindawe says:

Bugmenot has worked on the Chicago Tribune for me in the past, and I was able to get to the linked article with no issue today (maybe a PW saved in my browser somewhere). I’m not posting the entire text since I don’t yet know how Itchmo feels about such.

I still have to wonder, just why in the frell are we importing basic foodstuffs like wheat, corn and rice?

Yea, I know. Its cheaper.

6. Sindawe says:

Ment to add:

Given this fiasco, I think I’ll go back to being vegetarian (Ovo-lacto) that only eats certified organic foods.

7. mal says:

Bug me not worked for me. This is what I used:

Username chicagotribune123@mailinator.com
    Password tribune

8. Annie says:

God, my head is going to blow off…there is so much recall info now that I can hardly keep it straight, and I’m sure I’m far from alone in that thought.

ITCHMO, I don’t know HOW you are keeping up with all of this (do you ever sleep?!)

Thank you so much for providing a place where we can find GOOD information…your efforts are VERY much appreciated by many I’m sure!

9. E. Hamilton says:

Speaking only for myself, I think we blew by the”verge of a crisis” the day I had to put down two of my pets on the same day and watch others falling ill and had no freaking clue what was killing my pets.

Now the FDA may THINK they are just entering a crisis but I can assure you that the day I found out how useless they were and the day they decided not to count our dead and the day the FDA decided NOT to publicly admit that the work done here and other places on the net SAVED THE LIVES OF PERHAPS THE ENTIRE NATION, while suffering staggering losses and vet bills, that was the day of crisis for the FDA.
    They may not know it yet but I promise you they are going to know it.

10. Ann says:

As hard as it is to keep reading of more recalls, I’ve tried to focus on making sure I’ve got non-recalled cat food and writing my fingers off to Senators, FDA, FSIS, reporters, Governors…. it relieves some of the helpless feeling to communicate to them what a mess they made of our sense of pride and safety in living in America.

Now, the White House is the one responsible for holding off the Safety in Food act because of concerns over cost!!!!!!!!! Sheesh.

Somebody send Bush the bill for this fiasco. (cattle farmer who knows, NPN, right?)

Ann

11. pat says:

Eva, I am in awe of your courage and determination.

You know what frosts me about this aside from the obvious suffering of an entire population of companion animals and the families who love them? (To say nothing of the people, whom I feel sure are being poisoned as well)

We have a well-regulated (well, more or less… they at least have some standards) agriculture industry in this country, and they’re all busy growing crops for biofuel… and getting top dollar for it, while we and our animals are left to consume this imported poison. How bass-ackwards is that?

12. For The Love of the Dog » Blog Archive » People Now Being Affected by Contaminated Petfood Products says:

[…] Itchmo for bring this to our attention! Lets see just how fast and hard the powers that be will work on […]

13. Cheryl says:

Verge?? Full blown crisis is more like it. Just because the media is behind the 8 ball here doesn’t mean it isn’t already happening. I am just now hearing about the hogs on the tv news and newspaper articles - where the h*ll have these reporters been. The pet owners have been screaming about the potential human catasrophe for a month but have been treated like Chicken Little.

We import raw materials from China for distribution to the energy drink and nutritional supplements industries

Chem Nutra

15. Donna says:

did we ever get feedback on the chickens they were testing? I can avoid pork, but we eat chicken almost every day, and that’s what I’m also feeding my cats now.

16. KatieKat says:

Donna, I think the ball was probably dropped over the chickens :( I have not heard squat, even locally!

Donna Says, did we ever get feedback on the chickens they were testing?

No. I think the FDA is following China’s practice.

We’re not going to say anything because we don’t want you to be upset with us. If you worry to much your health might be affected.

18. Sue says:

I am overwhelmed by the deafening silence from Bush
    over this whole recall nightmare. Has anyone heard him actually address this whole issue or has he been too busy with photo ops? Where is the leadership?? What is it going to take before we get some administration notice of the true magnitude of the crisis? Where is the call for emergency funding?? Couldn’t staff from other agencies be temporarily re-assigned to help with some of the FDA paperwork at least?? The fiasco with FEMA during Katrina is being played out again with the FDA now, I can hardly wait to see what the “third strike” will be and which government agency will fail us next. Sue

19. KatieKat says:

I got a fabulous idea, lets load up all this contaminated food and drop it at China’s door since they seem not to care, but unfortunately, I have the the most horrible feeling this is just going to end up back in the pet foods :(

20. KatieKat says:

Sue, I share your frustrations and questions on where is the leadership, and the protection of the American people….I am so exytremely diheartened by this whole mess!

21. Donna says:

C-SPAN is replaying the tainted food hearing from this week, for anyone who missed it.

Sue I’ll bet money you the only place in the U.S where the most rigorous testing of food occurs is the White House kitchens receiving dock.

23. CathyA says:

At first the media didn’t care much, then I think they were told to shut up. You can’t tell me our guv’mint didn’t know from the first that a large black hole had opened up in food safety. I know the FDa is not going to give us “the numbers” because they’re too busy chasing shipments of poison which keep multiplying virtually overnight. But I think vet assns have been urged not to speculate either for the very same reasons. Just knowing the Chicago FDA agents are responding to 500 cases of pet poisoning is very telling and may be the first real number we’ve had from anyone official that reflects the scope of the problem.

24. pat says:

KatieKat, China has no incentive to care, since the US government is so obviously at a loss to deal with the situation. An complete, immediate ban on all foodstuffs imported from China would have elicted an entirely different reaction. I would prefer to pelt US officials with contaminated kibble, reserving the cans to chuck at the execs of the corporations that were supposedly “policing themselves”. China has simply done what they’ve been allowed to do. I wouldn’t mind launching a few pork chops at the white house, either.

25. Ann says:

I think that always making sure to include the recycling of pet food manufacturer to stock animals for human consumption; the stock animal byproducts back to the pet food… Pet owners are mostly aware of that. The rest of the US may be blissfully unaware.

You know, make sure they know the human waste, road kill,etc goes to the PFI recycle bin for pet foods; salvage from the PFI recycle bin ends up back touching the people food…

That’s scary and true. But, lots of folks aren’t even aware of that aspect of the petfood industry being a recycle bin.

Annn

26. purringfur says:

Donna Says, did we ever get feedback on the chickens they were testing?
    …………………………..
    When we end up in the hospitals (like thousands of Chinese people every month), THEN we’ll start testing. We don’t want to panic the public unnecessarily… We KNOW we are eating these foods now!

Right now the FDA is trying to contain things by following the “pet food- turned-into-animal-feed link,” but behind the scenes, you can bet they’re chasing down leads into the grains/carbs sector, not wanting the public to think about what is already in our cereals, breads, pastries, vegan burgers, soy protein drinks, etc.

I think we can bet that a multi-million/billion HUMAN FOOD producer bought the other shipment of rice protein concentrate. We’ve been told there is a second unnamed importer.

We heard about the hogs that ate the rice protein concentrate (RPC). But RPC was the SECOND named “contaminated” ingredient. What about all of the wheat gluten, which was viewed as the only ingredient under suspicion for one month, that was added to pet food and sold as salvage? I’m sure that was sold to livestock ranchers as well — long before the RPC animal feed was sold.

The manufacturing dates for the pet food went back to Nov. ‘06. The AP found that ChemNutra has been importing RPC since the mid-summer of ‘06. I don’t think every shipment was contaminated (for lack of a better word), but there’s a lot of this stuff already in our food, IMHO.

Soy protein energy bar anyone?

27. Ann says:

yuk.. “human waste” should be uh.. LOL. not.

waste from human food ingredients..

Ann

28. Ann says:

Wilbur Ellis went back to July 06 for the rice protein.

ChemNutra wheat gluten was Nov 06 .

ChemNutra’s import (from their same wheat gluten supplier) was May 06 - so far, they’ve not disclosed any contamination of their rice gluten import.

Ann

29. Donna says:

i just tried to explain this situation to my mother, who has no pets and doesn’t use the computer. I think I sounded like I was having a paranoid psychotic episode, because since there is nothing in the media about this, she has no frame of reference. I’m just spouting off about poisons from china that are in everything. It would be comical if it wasn’t so scary.

30. Louie says:

Here’s the Chicago Trib Article:

Food safety worries mount
    Does melamine hurt humans? Why isn’t food supply protected?

By Stephen J. Hedges and Mary Ann Fergus
    Tribune staff reporters
    Published April 29, 2007

WASHINGTON — The tainted pet food scare, which has swelled into a serious crisis for animal lovers, now has spread to humans.

California officials have revealed that the contamination got into the food chain: About 45 state residents ate pork from hogs that consumed animal feed laced with melamine from China. Melamine is used to make plastics, but it also artificially boosts the protein level—and thus the price—of the glutens that go into food.

It was already fatal for some pets: 17 cats and dogs are confirmed dead, more have likely died without being reported, thousands have suffered kidney problems, and 57 brands of cat food and 83 of dog food have been recalled. On top of that, roughly 6,000 hogs will be destroyed because they ate tainted feed.

The effects of melamine on people are thought to be minimal, but no one really knows. Its consumption by humans is considered so improbable that no one has even studied it.

But they are studying now. What last month was a limited recall of canned pet food is on the verge of becoming a full-fledged public health scare, potentially overwhelming government agencies and raising troubling questions about U.S. food safety in the global economy and in the post-Sept. 11 era.

The Food and Drug Administration, criticized by some in Congress for responding too slowly, is struggling to catch up with the implications of the spread of melamine-contaminated glutens from China to hogs, and the human food chain. The FDA is still trying to get its investigators into China, where a skeptical government only last week assented to investigators’ visa requests.

At a time when food imports are growing, and only 1 percent to 2 percent of food imports receive any government scrutiny, critics say the scare reveals the shortcomings of a weakened food safety bureaucracy, the inadequacy of existing regulations and the inability of the FDA, which has suffered significant cutbacks, to protect the food supply.

“They’re reactive, not proactive,” said Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), whose House subcommittee on investigations last week held a hearing on food safety. If the problem was imported pet food additives, he asked, “How does it then get to hogs? They’ve known about this for some time. What did they do with it?”

In a statement, the FDA said that “food safety funding” for the year ending last Sept. 30 “was $376 million.” But funding for the agency’s Center for Food Safety has dropped from $48 million in 2003 to about to $30 million in 2006, according to the center’s 2006 budget priority statement. Full-time jobs in the Center for Food Safety have also been cut from 950 in 2003 to about 820 in 2006, according to the budget statement.

FDA looking for origins

The importer of the bad wheat gluten, ChemNutra Inc. of Las Vegas, contends that its Chinese manufacturer, Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co., illicitly added melamine to the gluten in order to boost the measurable protein level and thus the price of the shipment. If so, the FDA may find itself pursuing criminal charges against the Chinese company.

FDA officials Friday searched ChemNutra’s offices, as well as a pet food plant operated by Menu Foods in Emporia, Kan., according to The Associated Press. Menu Foods has recalled millions of cans of pet food in recent weeks.

In China, the central government has been defensive about charges that an export shipment had been deliberately contaminated, at first denying that any tainted wheat gluten was even shipped to the U.S. But that tone has softened as the extent of the pet food recall expanded. On Friday, a government spokesman told USA Today that some shipments were contaminated.

Scores of pet food brands have now been recalled in the U.S. for fear that melamine-contaminated glutens were used in their manufacture. They include canned and dry dog food and dog biscuits that are made in places as widely scattered as Utah, Missouri and South Carolina.

The FDA is also examining imported vegetable proteins earmarked for human products like pizza, protein bars and baby formula. That investigation, still in its early stages, hasn’t uncovered any contaminated ingredients, but the agency, an FDA doctor said, wanted to “get ahead of the curve.”

The melamine-laced food reached hogs because surplus pet food—crumbled and broken food bits rejected as unsuitable for dogs or cats—was sent to hog farms and turned into feed. The FDA says bulk shipments of feed were delivered to hog farmers in California, Utah, Ohio, Kansas, Oklahoma, New York, North Carolina and South Carolina. FDA officials said they were also concerned that contaminated livestock feed may have been shipped to Missouri.

“It’s absolutely a terrible nightmare story,” said Eric Nelson, a Wisconsin feed specialist and president of the Association of American Feed Control Officials. “It just doesn’t seem to get any better, and I’m sure it’s not over.”

Rice protein also a problem
    Even as the tainted wheat gluten cases have multiplied, the FDA has learned of another problem: Chinese rice protein. U.S. importer Wilbur-Ellis told the agency that a single bag of rice protein that it had imported tested positive for the presence of melamine. Wilbur-Ellis imported the rice from Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. in China’s Shandong province. In the U.S., the protein went to five U.S. pet food makers in Utah, New York, Kansas and Missouri.

While the FDA has targeted select states for hog inspections, the pet food recall and the large number of sick cats and dogs have overwhelmed state agencies that often only investigate a dozen pet food complaints a year. The FDA says about 400 employees across the country are collecting pet food samples, monitoring the recalls’ effectiveness and preparing complaints.

The investigation’s progress in Illinois alone illustrates the problem.

Nationwide, the FDA has only enough inspectors to check 1 percent to 2 percent of the 8.9 million imported food shipments in 2006.

“We don’t have the resources or the capabilities to test every single shipment of every single food item that crosses into our country or into our state borders,” said Frank Busta, director of the National Center for Food Protection and Defense.

Stupak is among a small number in Congress who for several years have pressed for stiffer food safety regulations. He said legislation likely to pass this year could include a provision giving the FDA authority to order food processors to recall questionable items.

Currently, the FDA can issue mandatory recall orders only for baby formula, while other government safety agencies can demand the recall of goods such as unsafe toys and tires.

“It took Menu Foods almost a whole month to do a full recall of the dog food,” Stupak said. “If they’re dragging their feet on the recall of dog food, in the meantime this tainted wheat gluten is going to hogs.”

Other fixes could include expanded funding for food safety inspections and labs, the right to conduct spot inspections, subpoena power for the FDA and country-of-origin labeling on food products. Congress has already passed the labeling law, but the Bush administration has declined to implement it, citing cost concerns.

FDA officials acknowledged that they are closing seven labs but said they are older facilities that needed renovation and that other labs are being expanded to compensate.

What price safety?
    The end of this pet food crisis appears more elusive than ever, shedding light on issues beyond the largely self-regulated pet food industry to America’s growing dependence on cheap imported ingredients from China and other countries, where safety precautions may be more lenient.

But just as troubling, federal officials and congressional critics of the FDA say, is the ease with which the bad gluten was passed along once in the U.S. After the Sept. 11 attacks, food and water safety were an issue of great concern, they say, but those concerns seem to have eroded.

America’s increasing reliance on low-cost food creates a complicated food distribution system, Busta said — and that leaves “many potential vulnerabilities.”

shedges@tribune.com

mfergus@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

31. Garyn says:

I went shopping for organic eggs yesterday and came across Land O Lakes organic eggs. What caught my eye was the claim on the package that these eggs are from chickens who are fed a vegetarian diet only, no animal by products. The package boasts that the chickens are fed soy protein. Now tell where this soy protein in chicken feed comes from. I have a good idea. It was a deal breaker for me.

Check your labels. Cereal in particular. Special K, second ingredient is Wheat Gluten. All the protein bars as well. On the side of the Special K cereal box is an advertisement for Special K Protein meal bars, Protein snack bars and just in case regular old spring or tap water doesn’t do it for you, they also sell Protein water. Scary, scary, scary….

32. ThreeBadKitties says:

Wheat gluten is in a ton of things. I’m a vegetarian and just ate a Boca Burger for lunch that has wheat gluten in it. I wouldn’t be surprised if if it’s from China. I had it on a 100% whole wheat bun - also with wheat gluten in it, and from a more local bakery. It’s in a ton of food.

Me thinks the new buzz word in marketing in the up-coming months will be “Certified US Grown” or something. ;)

I was just at Trader Joes and was going to buy some brown rice to mix witht he girls chicken and right under the picture it on the label it said fresh from Thailand so I put it back, pick up another on it said made in India laid it back down too might of bough tit for me to eat was this was for in my girls food. No Way

34. Deborah Spooner says:

Speaking of Boca Burgers. I got a new box a couple of weeks ago from Costco and after eating one I got a serious upset stomach within about 30 minutes. I looked at the box and found wheat gluten in it. I emailed Boca about this and asked what the source of their wheat gluten was. Several days later I received a call from the company saying that their products were completely safe… and that the source of the wheat gluten was propriatary… I asked if they would like the rest of the burgers back for testing and they declined.. At this point we are eating whole foods as much from local growers as we can. I had also purchased vegan spring rolls from Costco at the same time. They were wonderful but when I looked at the bottom of the box I found that they were ‘a product of China’ so they went into the garbage can. It will not suprise me at all if some human soy products turn up on the contaminated list soon…

Deb

Americans eat an estimated 260 Lbs of imported “stuff” a year per person.

Think about that.

36. Donna says:

Not anymore Steve. not in this house

37. kristy says:

Unfortunately, we won’t be eating much if we aren’t eating products that come from China, contain wheat gluten, and animals that were fed vegetable proteins, which no doubt include wheat, corn and rice fragments. I guess we need to become fruitarians.

38. AZSue says:

Lorie: Go back to Trader Joe’s and look in the freezer section for the most awesome brown rice ever made! You put it into the microwave for three minutes…and that’s it. It is delicious.

Here’s what the box says, “Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice…Grown in the Sacramento Valley of northern California, this rice has been husked, cooked and frozen to quickly that you’d have to live in a rice paddy to get it any fresher.”

Everyone I know loves this rice!

Sue

Lorie Says:

April 28th, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Donna I hear you. We are also becoming the next wave of “jaded consumer” now.

40. Garyn says:

Ok this is so ironic it is almost funny in an insane sort of way. I just switched my dog to raw and sent my husband to buy me a digital scale so I can weigh the things I add to the bowl. So he gets me one and I look on the package and it is MADE IN CHINA!!! Here I am having to spend a lot of money and time and handle disgusting raw food because the chinese poisoned the food I fed and I will damned if I am going to use their scale. I made him bring it back. Everywhere I turn, China is there.

41. Karen V says:

Third Panel coming on now at C Span

42. People Ate Tainted Pork - Golden Retriever Forum says:

[…] Ate Tainted Pork People Ate Tainted Pork, We May Be On the Verge of CrisisApril 28th, 2007 The Chicago Tribune has detailed information (reg. req.) on how a pet food recall […]

AZSue,

Thanks for the tip on the rice, that rice is okay to use in the cat food right?

E. Hamilton
    Thank you for the post card blitz I sent 8 of them one for each cat to both people stating they were effected or vicitms of this food recall, and the #s are wrong. It made me feel really good inside to do this for my two babies. The dandelion tea was interesting to me I read about it and alfalfa as detox herbs can you give me some more insight on what to do I feel I need to do some home detoxing, I do not think vets are going above and beyond at trying to make a difference, or maybe it is just because it is know to them but I do know that I hve been to ER vet 3 times and my reg vet twice oh and spoke to that holistic vet that says it attacked her cats GI track and only 2 out of those 5 would really admit there is a crisis the others down played it and mad me sooo mad

44. AZSue says:

Lorie:

I would think that it is okay for the pet food recipes.

My rice cooker is very sad since I found this rice! It tastes better than any brown rice that I have ever cooked from scratch. Each box contains 3 packages, with what I consider 3 servings each. It has a wonderful flavor!

Okay, I’m going to stop now before someone accuses me of working for Trader Joe’s!

Sue :)

45. KatieKat says:

Words that get the governments attention on the CIA computers :).

Anthrax
    lethal virus
    US Mail
    Uranium
    dirty bombs
    Washinng DC
    Pentagon
    Jihad Pakistan

You are killing us and our furkids you idiots

46. KatieKat says:

I hope the government hacks my computer lol they would then see all the pics of my wonderfull family and furkids…. :)

Katiekat

Love your post. I the CIA is as sharp as the FDA is they might hack into your computer about year 3032. LOL

I am sitting her with Geisha girl on my lap hopeful this is not a temperary thing now that I have decided no commerical food period her and Topaz will remain on the road to recovery. The only good thing to come out of my ER visit last night was they finally were able to draw urine and it si fine and her kidneys are back to normal, now hopefully this GI issue will subside.

48. Pat says:

Found Texas grown brown rice in my local Raleys’ mkt (similar to QFC when Ilived on Browns Point). It’s called TEXMATIC Long Grain American Basmatic BROWN RICE. Details on their web site riceselect.com. Haven’t tried it yet, so can’t comment on taste. Nice to know we can still grow some food here!

Thanks for all the rice info

50. E. Hamilton says:

I cannot and WILL NOT give medical advice to anyone. I am planning on getting hit with a lot of trouble from the powers that be because of the blitz and stuff I have done here, that is OK, I knew going into this that I might become a target. The FDA screwed over one of their OWN vets and messed up her life something fierce for years and years. Google it, I do not have the link handy. So I sincerely doubt that would think twice about coming after me.

All I will say is that when I sat down and thought about it, why the heck should I be pouring drugs into my pets? The FDA say they are safe, LOL, ha aha and I am supposed to BELIEVE them now? I had nothing to lose , I had pets that were dying.
    So I read up on what the women did to save their soldier sons and husbands who were poisoned by gas attacks in world war one.
    My pets had been poisoned.
    I trusted what women from before I was born had done in THEIR desperation to save their loved ones.
    Sounds pretty stupid doesn’t it?
    Sounds pretty desperate?
    It was both ,but it worked.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All