Pet Tortoise Causes House Fire

FredWe’ve all heard stories of cats and dogs causing house fires by knocking something over, but how about a tortoise?

Emma Fox and Paul Butler, a couple in London, were shocked to return to their home and find that their pet tortoise had caused their house to burn down.

The couple had left 70-year-old Fred in a tank under a heat lamp to keep her warm. But Fred had piled up her bedding of dry straw too close to the heat lamp which caused flames to go through the house.

Fox said, “We were out shopping when we got a call from the fire brigade saying that our tortoise had set the house on fire. Luckily our neighbor had heard the smoke alarm go off and called the fire brigade.”

All of the animals, including a dog, two baby tortoises, and Fred, got out of the house safely.

Even though the couple will need to replace all of their furniture and front door, Fox added, “[Fred] means the world to me - even if she did almost burn the house down.”

Source: Yahoo News

9 Responses to “Pet Tortoise Causes House Fire”

  1. Nancy G. says:

    Poor Fred! I’m glad all got out safely; reptiles are extremely sensitive to smoke and it doesn’t take much to kill them. It’s great to have good neighbors, too.

  2. Lynne says:

    I’m so glad everyone was okay!

  3. Judy says:

    Again I feel the need to say really it’s the tortise did it. How about the human didn’t know straw is flammable and having a heat lamp in with straw? Gad I think these people are very lucky the animals got out safely and that they have good neighbors. I hope they are more careful in the future.

  4. Radcliff, Allie, Luna, & Ozzie says:

    Yeah, Judy. You tell ‘em.

    In Judy’s world, there are no accidents. Animals are just unthinking lumps of meat, with no initiative, no intelligence, and no thought process at all.

    The only thing missing is the 10,000 year old (alien?) (white devil?) (engram?) (whatever) that causes these people to plot for years to burn down their home.

    sigh…..

  5. Judy says:

    Wow! And I thought everyone was entitled to an opinion here how stupid of me.

    Radcliff where do I say animals are unthinking lumps of meat? My point was in these kind of stories the humans are to blame for burning down the house not the tortoise or the dog or the cat. It sounds like you are saying the tortoise did it on purpose.

    Oh and by the way has your house ever burned down to the ground? I very narrowly survived a house fire when I was a teenager and yes it was an “accident” my mother left a pot of oil on the stove unattended.

  6. Lynne says:

    Judy, just curious: why the instant need to assign blame? What difference does it make? Everyone is okay. Be happy.

  7. Michelle says:

    maybe next time she will think to get a Professional Pet Sitter!

    Michelle

  8. Ken shin says:

    we all make mistakes. My house burned down as a child, and we were home…s–t happens. just glad no one is hurt.

  9. tyler says:

    what type of turtle is it?


Close
E-mail It