Authorities want to know who was in a white pickup truck that tossed a poisonous bait onto County Road 84 in Lawrence County, Alabama. The poisoned meat was found by Vicky Parker and her son Tommy on September 26. They saw someone in the unfamiliar truck throw something out of the truck window onto their driveway. The Parkers investigated, found the meat and took it inside their home.
According to Hillard Frost, director of the Lawrence County Emergency Management Agency, the family had called the Sheriff’s office. Frost said Tommy Parker was showing the substance to a deputy when part of it fell on the floor and was licked by the family’s puppy. The puppy died shortly thereafter and both Vicky and Tommy Parker began to get sick. They called 911 and reported the incident. Frost contacted the Speake Fire Department as well as the Decatur Fire Department’s Haz-Mat Team.
While Speake firemen searched the roadways for more contaminated meat, the Decatur Haz-Mat team started an effort to decontaminate Vicky and Tommy Parker. Both were taken to Lawrence Medical Center where they were treated and released. Vicky Parker said that she began experiencing breathing problems and her son felt numb after handling the substance.
The puppy that died was a four-month-old Chinese Pug mix named Sadie. The dog was Tommy Parker’s pet. Vicky Parker said that her son was upset over the dog’s death. He is even more troubled because he can’t bury his dog. “The Haz-Mat team has the dog now,” Vicky Parker said. “They will have to dispose of it because of the poison.”
Frost said Speake firemen found several other bags and plastic containers of possibly contaminated meat or fish along County Road 84 and County Road 81. “The stuff in the bags looked like sardines or fish of some kind,” Frost said. “Someone had thrown the stuff out over about three-quarters of a mile.” He said that several other people living in the area had noticed the white truck.
Frost suspects the poison is some type of strong cotton insecticide used in commercial farming but he does not know which one. He said Decatur Haz-Mat took possession of the dead dog and the other meat that firemen found. Samples of the poisonous substance have been sent to a state laboratory in Auburn for analysis and identification.
Parker has received several telephone calls concerning the situation. “Most people have been nice and several offered to help pay for burying the dog in a pet cemetery,” she said. “But we can’t bury her. I want to ask people who love animals and want to do something to donate money in Sadie’s name to the Lawrence County Animal Control so it can take care of more animals.”
Parker does not understand why anyone would throw out poisoned bait along the roadway for just any animal to find. “People walk their pets along this road and sometimes ride horses. Those animals could be poisoned too,” she said.
Parker said her health is not good and that she had a heart attack not too long ago. She was worried that the difficulty she had breathing might have been another heart attack.
The person who threw out the poisoned meat could face charges of animal cruelty and reckless endangerment.
Source: The Moulton Advertiser