(NEW) FDA is “sitting on a solution” to screening tainted food. Plan created in reponse to 9/11 lacks funding.
Yesterday, we saw several recalls that should have been announced more than a week ago. The FDA says no more recalls (again) which is immediately followed by several recalls.
We write this update with a heavy heart. Itchmo suggested avoiding rice protein — what we didn’t know was that many ingredient lists were misleading. The ingredient labels did not list rice protein. In fact, ingredient lists can no longer be trusted — leaving the consumer with little chance at avoiding high-risk ingredients.
Recalls Within the Last 24 Hours:
- Blue Buffalo recalls all canned dog and cat food, plus treats.
- Natural Balance recalls more foods.
- Chicken Soup For the Pet Lover’s Soul recalled.
- Diamond pet food recalled. (See link above)
- Costco’s Kirkland brand canned food recalled.
- Lick Your Chops brand recalled. (See link above)
Here are 2 Things You Can Do This Weekend:
- Itchmo Forum members are organizing a postcard blitz for April 28.
- A march is being organized for April 28 in several cities. Join the march.
Previous Rice Protein Recalls:
- Blue Buffalo (Made by CJ Foods)
- Natural Balance (Made by Diamond Pet Food)
- Royal Canin
- SmartPak (Made by Chenango Valley Foods)
- Drs. Fosters & Smith (Made by Chenango Valley Foods)
Other Recall News:
- (NEW) China admits companies added melamine, but says it’s not the cause of deaths.
- Did Menu Foods get wheat gluten from another source?
- Menu Foods sues ChemNutra. Expect more legal maneuvering.
- China says: We’re banning melamine, but it didn’t kill US pets.
- Iams threat to Menu Foods triggered the first recall. Not the FDA.
- Also, FDA says tainted food may have been imported by Wilbur-Ellis as early as 2006. Is the FDA testing food from last year? How long has this really been going on?
Find Help in Itchmo Forums:
Popular Recall Links:
- Recalled Food List
- What to feed my pets: Cat or Dog
- Sign up for Itchmoâ€™s Pet Safety Alerts
- Have questions? Ask in our Forums
(Thanks SusanUnPC and Jeff)