Update to the update. (Noon Pacific)
Here’s the transcript of the FDA conference where the 8,000+ number came from (emphasis ours):
DR. MICHAEL ROGERS: I can update or provide some context to that number as we provide it. This group last week, we stated the agency has received more than 17,000 calls from consumers that allege animal illness or death associated with pet food products. Our preliminary review of those, and we’ve certainly entered a subset of those into our official data system, but the preliminary reviews suggest that as many as 50 percent allege an animal death associated with those pet food products. But as part of a long-term process, the agency will be evaluating those calls and determine their direct association to the implicated product.
DR. ACHESON: I want to emphasize that Michael Rogers said “allege.” This does not mean it’s definitive proof as I understand that.
If any media organizations want background information on this story, email us and we will call you back. We can get you up to speed ASAP, as we have done for many other news outlets.
- FDA says more than 8,000 pets unconfirmed dead. Other media outlets pick up on new numbers: LA Times, Boston Globe, NY Times (registration required) & Reuters. (Note: Reuters originally had the 8,000 number yesterday and earlier this morning, but now they have changed their number to 4,000 complaints of pet-related deaths.)
- Menu Foods expanded their recall on Wednesday.
Itchmo’s recall list contains all currently recalled brands.
- ASPCA says avoid all non-US protein supplements.
- See the actual tainted wheat gluten export/import documents.
- FDA begins investigation of food makers. May investigate hundreds of companies.
- See what tainted wheat gluten looks like.
- And it’s a dog eat dog world. Mars buys Nutro.
Find Help in Itchmo Forums
- Talk to other pet owners about what to feed, what’s safe, what to do.
Non-Recall News: Read our expanded daily posts below.