Updated throughout the day
- FDA says toxin threat may not be over. Recalled pet food still on store shelves. Help us get them off. Report “safe stores” here.
- Looking for help to cover vet bills? Try these organizations.
- AVMA and the FDA announced a database to track recall-related deaths. Thanks but we really wished they had set this up 27 days ago. It seems limited to only the current recall at the moment. (Thanks to Pet Connection. Really. Cause they got a database set up quickly.)
- Itchmo is currently consulting with a CDC-sponsored epidemiologist in the viability of an independent pet food illness database.
More on the hearing:
- Read our notes from the senate hearing, and discuss them in our Forums.
- Watch video of Sen. Durbin asking pointed questions at the president of the Pet Food Institute.
- For the most part, media reaction to the senate hearing was muted. Here is one report: WP says FDA’s Response to Tainted Pet Food Assailed
- Senator Durbin announces his recommendations.
- Pet Food Institute announced a “commission” to investigate the pet deaths. PFI is run by the same person who misquoted Banfield by saying only 6 pets were “affected” at the senate hearing. PFI calls themselves “The voice of the pet food industry.”