Recall Update: Friday

FDA press conference recap: (Transcript here)

• FDA refuses to name second US distributor of tainted rice protein concentrate. Fortunately Pet Connection reported this days ago. Chicago Tribune confirms.
  • 198 facilities may have gotten tainted fish feed.
  • Still investigating risk from fish.
  • FDA refuses to give a reason for why a 5th ingredient was redacted.

Itchmo exclusives:

Other recall news:

Need help? Want to do something to help? Go to our Forums.

Check out our fun and informative non-recall news below.

140 Responses to “Recall Update: Friday”

1. Kiki says:

Cereal Byproducts Co - somehow it doesn’t seem right that “cereal” and “by-products” are describing an ingredient - yuk…

Chinese: who destroyed those melamine pla…uhmmm I mean wheat gluten plants before the FDA could get there to inspect - the Chinese government or the Chinese plant owner/mgrs? I would not be surprised if it was the government. I feel sorry for those plant owners (not) - I wouldn’t want to piss off the Chinese government and I’m sure they were very upset that the plant owners were so stupid as to have gotten caught.

Why is the FDA allowed to withhold information related to our food supply? In light of the fact that they conducted a roughly 72 hour assessment of health risk (is that the new scientific standard for evidence-based risk assessment - send an intern to the library on Friday night to see if there have been any studies conducted on melamine deaths by ingestion???), it really doesn’t make me give a huge sigh of relief…whew, no chance of short or long-term health risks from eating adulterated chicken, pork, or fish cause the FDA said so.

My feeling is this: I should have the right to have a choice and make an informed decision as to what products I want to buy. Even if a concoction of plastic and acid WAS safe, if it was not supposed to be included in feed or food, let ME please make the decision whether or not I want to eat the adulterated items. We have labeling laws - it gives information to make decisions on what to buy - this is for REGULAR ingredients. Why can’t I have the same info for food that has stuff in it that is NOT supposed to be there?

I want to know the name brands of the chicken, fish, and hogs. I demand it and I think we all ought to demand it. It’s unfathomable that we are not given this info as a routine matter…

2. Kiki says:

From the FDA Food Safety “Czar” - Dave Acheson

“We believe that it is in the public’s best interest to know the facts as soon as they are validated.”

Oh really? Then please tell me: what are the companies and/or brand names of the chickens, hogs, and fish that have eaten the adulterated feed??

3. lainie says:

Ive Been Reading Labels Of Everything I Use And Everythng I Buy. Was Amused To Find My Hair Care Products Are More Informative Then Any Food Products Ive Checkd. It Says Mfgrd In The Usa With Usa And Imported Ingredients. At Least They Let Me Knw Not All Is Frm The Us Y Cant Our Food Pet And Human Do The Same.

4. Kiki says:

From the food safety czar, Dave Acheson:
    “Don’t forget, this is a proactive approach. We’re getting out there looking for melamine and melamine-related compounds in places that we don’t currently know that there is a problem, so clearly the resources need to be devoted on tracking down areas where we do know there’s a problem. Initially that was focused on pet food, it then swung more recently to poultry and hog situation, and now it’s swinging yet again to the fish issue.”

Dave - This statement hardly describes a PROACTIVE, deliberate, targeted, and systematic approach - it sounds more like a reactive, chickens with their heads cut-off, out of control, don’t understand the scope of the problem, don’t have a clue what we are doing, running around in circles, what next approach.

5. Dogmom says:

Just saw a news trailer that Walmart has “suffered” its worst month of sales in 27 years! Can’t say that it is due to the fact that peole are not buying their pet food there anymore, but it is an interesting coincidence. I know that I am avoiding them. In a small town in the midwest, that is difficult. They have “run out of town” our clothing store, Pharmacy and one of the only two grocery stores that we had. We have also lost our locally owned hardware / home improvement store.

I hope Walmart’s demise was assured the day it put Special Kitty on the shelf. They are the one’s that forced Menu to do whatever was necessary to meet their price point.

7. Maureen says:

Re: Walmart’s sales drop

The Wall St. Journal summary about Walmart’s sales drop did also say that there was a drop in their “pet food sector.” I read earlier that the important thing about pet food customers is that they shop frequently, therefore increasing sales not only of pet food but other things as well.

8. purringfur says:

Sharon & DogMom: Walmart here has run two smaller department stores out of business. I stopped spending my money at Walmart quite a few years ago when I learned they made companies meet their price points, which, of course, has led to inferior products that still carry the brand name.

Companies break down and opt for volume sales (a store every 30 miles was Walmart’s goal, I believe) or sell a higher quality product in smaller stores at a higher price. Companies, wanting the high volume sales, opt for the cheap foreign materials and production and have lost their mission to produce a high quality product.

We’ve caused this by wanting the cheapest prices and having an insatiable desire to have everything we see.

9. Pit Bull Lover says:

From The Pet Connection’s May 8, 2007 blog:

“The FDA’s Kimberly Rawlings today by phone confirmed that the third company may, at some unspecified time in the future, also recall some pet food products” … “She said she was unable to put any kind of timeframe on such a recall.”

Not sure why, but I envision Ms. Rawlings to look like a flying monkey minion from The Wizard of Oz. I’m stunned by the very seemingly neverending existence of these so-called human beings subserviently toeing the line on callous decisions made by Government (nevermind Industry). Can these flying monkeys really not figure out how to leak information to the press — or even the blog world? Or perhaps it is that they lack the cojones or the conscience to do so.

*scowl* Happy Friday, everyone.

10. DaveyD says:

There press seems confusing to me…
    “May 4, 2007 – Cereal Byproducts Company is announcing today that the FDA has determined that there are melamine and/or melamine derivatives in the rice protein concentrate…”
    “Cereal Byproducts proactively notified their customers of this finding, and thereafter both parties implemented their own voluntary recall of the contaminated products on or about April 19, 2007.” WHO DID??
    “We are confident that our customers have implemented on-going recalls”
    WHO???

11. LorieVA says:

Hi everyone,

I am from a small town in PA originally, and WALMART super store came to town a couple years ago, and it has put all of our small town business under also. My home town is like a ghost town now, the downtown area is barren empty store fronts etc…when I go home to visit all my favorite spots from my younger days are gone.

Business Week/AP May 10, 2007
    Retailers post weak April sales

“Wal-Mart also blamed its performance on cold weather and the earlier Easter. It also said product recalls by dog and cat food manufacturers contributed to a slowdown in pet supply sales during April.”

Yeah, they admitted it–sort of–blaming it on the recalls. A relative’s cat was hit by what was in one of the Menu/Special Kitty pouches. This was a couple of weeks before Menu “allowed” the rest of us to know their ugly secret. She apparently had only gotten one dose of that–was rushed to ER within 2 hours of having eaten it. Happily, she recovered fully. We took ALL Special Kitty back to W-M for credit/refund, telling them that we no longer had confidence in this food because of their connection with Menu.

The Catoosa County (GA) News May 2, 2007

“Menu Foods executives said last week that the company was still shipping products to Procter & Gamble, which has contracts with Menu to produce some Iams and Eukanuba wet foods. Procter & Gamble failed to respond to requests for comment.

“Most of Menu Foods customers do not have long-term supply contracts tying them to the company, but it seems they have nowhere else to take their business.

“Many major producers of wet pet food, like Nestlé-Purina, avoid contract work for other companies. Del Monte on the other hand is fully booked by Wal-Mart. There are other companies in the industry, including American Nutrition, but they lack the production capacity to replace Menu Foods.

“A spokeswoman for Wal-Mart said its stores had removed all Menu products. She added that Menu had produced only selected sizes of house-brand products for Wal-Mart. Citing company policy, she declined to say whether Wal-Mart would continue to use Menu as a supplier.

“Several other Menu customers, including Safeway, Kroger and Pet Valu, have not responded to requests for interviews or statements.

“In 2001, Doane Pet Care, a major contract producer of dry foods in the United States, was acquired. In 2003, the company acquired a Procter & Gamble plant in South Dakota. ”

So we know that most of Menu’s production contracts are NOT long-term (Hey, they’ve been broken anyhow by the recall, if these companies want to do fine print & clauses.), and that many of the biggies weren’t talking, as of May 2, as to whether or not they’d still be having Menu produce their brands.

For those who haven’t gone public with their decision to either keep or drop Menu, they should know that the rest of us intend to spend our pet food dollars on items which are NOT made by Menu. Wal-Mart’s choice of company to produce quite a few of their products is what was responsible for their lousy April. Keeping them can make for lousy May, June, July–and so on.

13. DaveyD says:

“Earth Friendly is corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal is a product of the corn milling industry. Corn gluten meal has been used for years as a pet food and animal feed ingredient. Recently, researchers have found corn gluten meal to have weed control properties. Since corn gluten meal is all natural, it is an excellent source of slow-release nitrogen.”

DaveyD Says:

May 11th, 2007 at 9:22 am
    There press seems confusing to me…
    “We are confident that our customers have implemented on-going recalls”
    WHO???

If you compare what we have from last night at the links, it looks like the third producer’s products were water-damaged and had to be discarded–never offered for sale.

Markets for biofuel co-products (DDGS, soy meal) are important. Co-products will compete with each other and with alternative feed ingredients.

Yummy. Just what I want. Bio-Fuel By-Garbage Meal.

Leave no garbage left behind.

Note to Wal-Mart: If you kill your customers with tainted products, they aren’t around to shop in your store anymore.

18. Linda says:

Katie/Amy
    Thanks for your input. As a result of places like this to get and trade info., we can be empowered with IMPORTANT

19. Linda says:

sorry, hit return by accident!
    information. The vet called back and I will have more confidence as to what to ask…they don’t tell you things unless you ask the right questions it seems. Best wishes

China: April Trade Surplus Nearly $17B Updated 3:50 AM ET May 11, 2007-AP

” China’s monthly trade surplus more than doubled in April to nearly $17 billion, the government said Friday, adding to pressure on Beijing ahead of closely watched talks with Washington on its swollen trade gap.

“Chinese and U.S. trade envoys are due to meet May 23-24 in Washington for talks on Beijing’s surpluses, currency controls, product piracy and other contentious issues.

So now we need to know how to contact the US trade envoy to China to voice our concerns re: the pet food issue.

21. lablover says:

“I like this product on the Cereal Byproduct website…They sell Corn gluten to use as a fertilzer and for weed control. YIKES”

Corn gluten meal is a all-natural fertilizer for your lawn…. I supposed you’d rather have chemicals on your lawn for your kids and pets?

22. DaveyD says:

“I supposed you’d rather have chemicals on your lawn for your kids and pets?”

No, you are right… Guess I’m not thinking right.

menusux maybe if China raises their wages above 28 cents an hour they can buy their own stuff-junk-crap.

24. Eric says:

Question for all cat owners:

Can anybody tell me how often and much their cat(s) drink water? I just want to know what is normal. Thank you in advance!

25. LorieVA says:

Eric,

I am not sure if I am nuts or what but mine seem to be drinking more these days. i swear this whole mess makes me parinoid about every little thing. They might just be drinking the same and I am just now paying attention. Why do you think yours are drinking more??????????????????

26. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    Here’s the scenario: We have five cats, but one a male calico named Gidget, is my baby and I tend to watch him extra closely. Last night, amid chasing his toy mice around the house, he stopped three times and had a quick drink. He’s always kinda liked water, but I don’t recall ever seeing him getting a drink three times in one evening. Just like you, this whole thing is making me completely paranoid!

27. LorieVA says:

What all are you feeding Kumpi and what else……………….

I really do think my fountain gets empty alot sooner these day.

Evy had said on her website about her cat Tonga:

The most interesting thing I noticed was her few month on KumpiKat - she drank and drank and drank! I didn’t realize at the time she was helping her body cleanse from the years of poor nutrition - even though I was doing the best I could. FYI I recommend using bottled water vs. tap water for all pets.

So keep praying that is what is going on

Friday, May 11, 2007

Hawai’i pet owners filing suits against Menu Foods

Advertiser Staff
    Two lawsuits are expected to be filed today against pet food manufacturer Menu Foods, which allegedly brought tainted pet foods into the market.

Thomas Grande of Davis Levin Levingston Grande and Emily Gardner, attorney at law, said they will announce the lawsuits at a news conference today at their office on Fort Street.

Plantiffs include Hawai’i consumers who fed their pets Menu Foods’ tainted wet pet food in cans and foil pouches with brands names such as Iams and Eukanuba.

According to a news release, the suits include multi-party personal injury suit for pet owners who suffered the death or severe illness of their pet, filed by Gardner, and a consumer class action suit against the manufacturer for Hawai’i consumers who purchased tainted pet foods.

In attendance to discuss what happened to their pets will be families whose pets died after eating Menu Food items.

The news conference starts at 11 a.m

29. Zoe says:

I, too, have been reading every ingredient on every label. Yesterday i returned some canned tuna packed in water because this was listed in the ingredients “sodium acid pyrophosphate”. Here’s what I found about that little ingredient:

Sodium pyrophosphate and Sodium acid pyrophosphate

A slightly toxic mildly irritating colorless transparent crystalline chemical compound containing the phosphate ion… Used as buffering agent, emulsifier, thickening agent often used in food as additive. Common foods: chicken nuggets, canned tuna, crab meat soy based meat alternatives, toothpaste as tarter control agent in household detergents.

Also in medication to prevent kidney stones. When looking up the medication I saw that the precautions were don’t use if you have kidney problems or allergies. No more canned tuna. Yikes!

30. erin says:

Wow, I hate to do this LorieVa but…..

31. Zoe says:

Notice how all these ingredients seem to all relate to the kidneys and kidney problems.

Maybe that’s why cat’s are thought to have kidney problems from eating canned fish. It’s not the fish but the stuff they put in the fish.

Also I noticed nearly all the canned fish is packed in soy. What about people who are allergic to soy?

32. LorieVA says:

Erin,

That was a quote form the lady who make cat food not me. I use Brita filtered water mixed with distilled, in my pet fountain, I all ready know bottled water is bad that is why I am allowed to drink it strait on the rock and the kitties can’t. *WINK*

33. purringfur says:

STEVE: Steve Says:

May 11th, 2007 at 9:52 am
    ………

I read that article also. It looks as if the pet food industry is trying to “solve” the problem for company’s disposal of industrial chemical wastes — call them what they ARE — in our pets’ foods!

Already a study was posted of adding glycerin to poultry feed — seeking the highest percentage they could add without harming the growth/weight of the bird for market. This was a “by-product” of the bio-deisel fuel industry! (Correct me if I have the wrong chemical.)

With all of this added industrial waste to our pets’ and our own food (animals for human consumption), the ACCULUMATION FACTOR is definitely at work!

Reading these reports is enough to make anyone WANT TO FAST FOR LIFE!

Eric: My experience with cats is that they don’t drink a lot of water, meaning if you are changing the bowl daily, you wouldn’t notice a huge change in the level of water for one cat. If you keep track of how much water you put in the bowl versus how much you take out when you change it, you will know how much the cats are drinking. If you are noticing the level of water in the bowl being unusually low, someone is drinking more water. If you have any doubts, I would go to the vet. If cats are used to wet food and are eating more dry food, it makes sense that they would feel thirstier. Dry food is about 10% moisture and wet food is 70-85% moisture. Hope all your cats are OK.

purringfur exactly the PFI apparently sees our pets as living garbage and toxic waste disposals.

No wonder palatability studies are so big in their ongoing profit-racket.

36. Monika says:

Eric and LorieVA

Re: Cats and drinking water

I also started to notice that my two drink more water while on Kumpikat (and I still have the issue of them eating it up constantly and begging for more. Can you say kitty crack? hahah But since I heard the Kumpikat is high on carbs I’m getting worried as they’ve never wanted to eat this much) in any case, they are also drinking more water. I found this on the CRF website (my cats don’t have CRF, btw):

“Cats drink more water when they eat dry food and they drink more when the weather is warm. There is no set amount of water for a normal cat to drink each day. More than six to eight ounces per day is usually considered excessive for a normal cat. CRF cats may drink more than this daily.”
    http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm (scroll down for the part about WATER)

It didn’t occurr to me that maybe they’re just drinking more because it’s been warmer! haha. So hopefully that’s it.

Anyone else feeding Kumpikat and noticing they eat it up in a flash and beg for more? I thought they were supposed to eat LESS of the Kumpikat because it was so nutritious.

37. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    Right now, they eat KumpiKat, freeze-dried chicken treats from Three Dog Bakery and baby food meats mixed with water.

38. Eric says:

Monika,
    Our cats all seem to like the KumpiKat okay, but I would say they eat less than they did when they were eating junk (Purina). We free feed though, so they always have at least a little bit of food in their dish.

39. erin says:

LorieVA….sorry bout the misunderstanding. It seems to be a common misconception though that bottled water is healthier. Having worked for a water purification company at one time and seeing the test results made me realize just how bad some of those bottled waters are.

Monica, I have read of some cats really pigging out on high-end food for a period of time when they first start getting it (like they were starved for something in it) and then levelling off. If your cats have only been on it for a short time, that could be the case. You could email Evy and ask her about that. She will answer you pretty fast. Her email address is on the website.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »

42. purringfur says:

Steve: I believe there was also an article in the online trade journal you cited that discussed putting fibrous plant sources in the food, looking at how much could be put in without deterring the dog’s appetite. Looks like another way to get rid of low-quality by-products by piling it in our pets’ bowls.

Did you see the article by ____ Phillipps on pro’s and con’s of commercial food vs. biological diet. I was surprised to see the alternate view in an industry paper. Basic point of Phillipps’ column: biological diet (reduced grains/carbs) eliminates obesity, insulin resistance, etc. — the same diseases humans acquire.

That was an excellent source you posted! Gives you an inside look at what the next moves are… adding trash to pet food! Please post when a new issue comes out.

43. LorieVA says:

Monika,

My two vultures live for wet food and of course they are off all wet completely right now been feeding chicken tenderloins and canned wild salmon god is that stuff gorss with all those bones init for me to dig out ick. Anyway, they do like their Kumpikat and munch on it while I am away or refuse to give them anything else. Spoiled little creatures, in frig everytime I open the door. Right now very grateful for that though seeing how they both refused to eat while being poisoned. I never thought of the warmer weather factor we just turned our AC on yesterday. They both have been cleared of kidney damage afer 3 blood test and one urine test so I hope it is just the weather and the change in diet.

44. Barb says:

Oh boy can I relate…watching my GSD pup for months now. Everytime she takes a drink I freak out. this whole thing makes me nervous.

45. LorieVA says:

Erin, just re-read my blog sorry if I sounded snippy. Its heard to express emotions on here. LOL No need to apologize, i never new bottled water was worse till about 2 or 3 weeks ago when someone else blasted me on here . LOL We all have each others best interest at heart and I love each and every one of you. This sight has been my saving grace.

46. Eric says:

It does suck that every little thing our cats or dogs do right now sends us into a panic. But with such nonspecific symptoms as the pet food poison has, we all see our furries with some of these symptoms from time to time. Last year at this time I’d have thought nothing of my kitty stopping for a few laps of water throughout the evening, especially since he was playing hard, but things have changed.

47. LorieVA says:

Eric,

you are so right life as we know it will never be the same after this. Things taht use to be no big deal like my cat throwing up a hairball is a heart stooping experience anymore. I question the amt pee in the litter box, how many time they have BM vs everyting from before this. Why are they slepping why do they not want ot play why is she under the bed on and on. I hope all the people that caused this drama end up in anice warm place with a guy who has a pitch fork someday.

48. Barb says:

Panic is not the word I would use. I brought my GSD pup to the vet for a re-check on her eyes last night. I’m glad she is ok, but I asked him about her kidneys. Last month she went in for testing because she was showing signs, not wanting to eat, drinking a lot, but she was acting fine. I went into the panic mode so I brought her in. Her kidneys were slightly elevated. So a few days later we went back and they were elevated again but the vet said not to worry. (yeah, right) We did do the urine test and found nothing. She is active…eating and drinking. her poop is good, no vomiting. I wonder how long does it take for her to go downhill from the recall food? Hmmmm…shall I test her again? the vet said maybe a hi protein diet will cause the kidneys to be elevated. Oh brother. ALWAYS something to worry about.

Thanks.

Barb
    Phx, AZ

49. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    I could not have said it better myself. My cats all think I’m crazy, cause when they want to sleep (which is pretty often since they are CATS), I try to wake them up to play. They do however appreciate the expensive treats they get all the time (got to make sure they have an appetite you know).

Those responsible for this have no clue how they’ve changed our lives and the emotions that we are all going through.

LorieVA and Eric:
    Recently my cat hid under the bed, and I had a panic attack, then remembered it was raining and she hides under the bed when it rains. Then she did have a hairball and I had a panic attack until I saw hair in it. The maddening thing is that the symptoms are things cats do anyway: sleep, vomit, hide under the bed! I wonder what the Friday afternoon recall will be today.

51. LorieVA says:

Eric,

You just made me LOL I too breakout the laser pointer right in the middle of nap time to see it they will play. Or test geisha with her Petromalt that she would eat the whole tube of if I would let her before all this. I also entice people food a little more than usual and if they do not want to eat it, play with it wahtever I feel like I am going to puke. I know they think I am a whack job

52. LorieVA says:

Helen,

It is great to know, I am not the only worry wart out there driving my kitties crazy trying to figure out what is a symptom from their normal behavior because they are a cat. their finickiness does not help this either.

53. YaYa says:

Eric, I think that’s is “abnormal” water drinking to me. To STOP playing 3x’s?!
    My experiences are that, a cat seems to Always drink ‘to satifaction’ WHEN- each time they do drink.

Not like us and sip and sip and sip a beverage.

I’d beging a measured obvservation: put a bowl down that you Know How Much it in it each Morning. If you have to use a measure cup and pour a specific amount In the bowl. At the end of the day, pour the water back into a measure cup and WRITE down the results.

In a few days you will have some “regular use” {for that cat} numbers. Go by Ounces. Call the Vet or check a reputable Online site for “norms” for cats.

Ah shoot! I just remembered you’ve got more than one cat! sigh.

Still 3x’s and stopping play to go back is ODD drinking to me.

Can you take a Urine specimen In to the Vet Today?
    I would. That’s My way :-)

-line a litter box with Heavy duty trash bag try to get him to go on/in and then Save the Urine in a screw top jar. Take right in to the Vet if possible or keep in Frig until you can.

Get results ASAP. Tell them you want a Urinalysis To-Day. Tell them you expect results by Closing time today or first thing in the Morning on Saturday. Don’t wait until Monday.

Or put THAT particular cat in a bathroom with a CLEANED litter box, NO LITTER in it. See if he will go in an empty box.

OR, put a large enough bowl under him as he urinates, and try to catch it.

I’d get at least That much checked out for him. And no nasty trip to the vet or cath procedure to get urine etc. {cheaper too} :-)

Just my own opinions Eric.

54. LorieVA says:

Eric,

have they ever been exposed to one of the suspect foods, what were you using before KUMPI ……………….

And if they were exposed to a suspect food have they been tested

55. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    They have eaten dry only, and some of the food they’ve eaten has been the same as recalled brands, but not the specific line of product. For example, they ate Natural Balance Premium for one week, but not the Venison and Green Pea.

YaYa,
    I’m stuck at work right now, with no way to get a urine sample. And let me clarify a bit: around 6 pm he walked into the kitchen and had a quick drink. Later, around 8:30 pm he was playing and walked into the bathroom where we keep a water dish, and he came back out a few moments later. I didn’t actually see him drink then. And then around 10:15 pm a put out fresh water in the bathroom and he came in and had a quick drink (I saw him that time). The water levels in the bowls this morning looked about normal, and I never saw him drink this morning, he just wanted his treat and to play with his mouse. All of our cats eat the exact same stuff, and I’ve noticed nothing weird out of them. They are all around 3 years old. Also, I’ve not really noticed a change in the amount of urine in the litter box, so I very well may just be completely paranoid…

56. susanUnPC says:

Eric, this fascinating article by a veterinarian completely changed how I feed my cats … If they get dry food, no matter the brand or how much you pay for it, they aren’t getting enough hydration:

57. Eric says:

susanUnPC,
    I’ve read that page before, and will likely find them a good wet food when I feel they are safe enough again.

58. SandyC says:

Panic attacks are a daily way of life now it seems. Rushed my smallest dog (6 pounds) to the vet yesterday because she refused to eat and wouldn’t drink. This is not unheard of behaviour for her but now its panic time behaviour. The vet tech says well you were in 5-17-06 for this same thing and 12-13-06. I said yes..but this time its different!! Vet says yes she was a little dehydrated, gave her a shot for nausa and said give her Pedalyte. I knew the routine but just had to make sure. Little piggy is back to her normal self today. I’m the one that’s not my normal self. I follow 3 hyper little dogs around and examine it each time they pee or poop. I wake them up from naps to see if they’re acting right. I offer them bits of treats all day to make sure they’re eating. AND

59. SandyC says:

ooops! hit submit by accident…
    And now instead of hubby calling from work and saying…Hey, just called to say I love you..he says…hey, just called to see if the dogs are ok. Life will never be the same will it?

60. Eric says:

SandyC,
    I hear you. This is no way to live. And just like LorieVA said above, everytime something seems a bit off I feel like throwing up. I have anxiety issues anyway, so this is just tearing me completely up.

61. K says:

LorieVA, why not give your cats the bones and skin from the canned salmon? They’ll get calcium and other nutrients from it, and happily eat stuff we don’t like ourselves ; )

To everyone, cats drinking more water than usual can also be a symptom of diabetes, not just of impaired kidney function. According to some vets, feeding an exclusively dry diet — which is substantially higher in carbohydrate than most canned foods — has led to increased incidence of feline diabetes.

Our cat thankfully went into full remission in mid-April from “sudden onset diabetes mellitus” which was diagnosed mid-February; we were told to watch for increased drinking as well as increased urinating, and increased appetite.

We now find ourselves wondering if one of the things that contributed to him developing diabetes was that we were feeding him a low-protein, higher-carbohydrate veterinary diet as recommended by our vet because of a 2004 diagnosis of CRF; it was supposed to be easier on his kidneys and we weren’t aware of other risks at the time.

Not all cats respond to a higher-carb diet by developing diabetes; plenty thrive, but others will gain more weight than is healthy, leading to increased risk of diabetes as well.

Sorry to throw more stuff out there that’s potentially worrying (as well as for going on so long), but after spending 2 months giving our cat twice-daily injections of insulin, multiple emergency vet visits when his blood sugar sky-rocketed for no apparent reason, fear that he’d never be “regulated”, weeks of watching him walk on his hocks and wrists and being unable to get up on a chair by himself because of diabetic neuropathy (which thankfully reverses once blood sugar is under control), and the risk of him also developing pancreatitis, just wanted to make sure folks are aware of the possibilities.

62. K says:

susanUnPC, thanks for the link; I’ve read similar information elsewhere, and it really sticks in the mind, especially these days!

63. Linda says:

I’m using distilled water for my dog…struvite crystals. Dr. Pitcairn’s book suggested fluoride is bad for dogs (in tap water) does a purifier take that out?. I don’t have info. re distilled water safety, for the most part what I read is spring water may be full of impurities.

64. Sylvia says:

Have global trading jitters revealed the international trading shadow government? This just broke:

Obviously could relate to Menu Foods debacle. Note Bush uses the word “regime”.

Bernanke used same phrase doing damage control on 5/1/07: “Some features of the world trading regime…”
    (Remarks by Chairman Ben S. Bernanke
    At the Montana Economic Development Summit 2007, Butte, Montana
    May 1, 2007
    Embracing the Challenge of Free Trade: Competing and Prospering in a Global Economy )

I’ve been looking for previous uses of the word ‘regime’ in past Bernanke speeches and am not finding any.

They are definitely circling the wagons now.

65. Barb says:

What about a german she pup, year old with slightly elevated kidneys diagonosed over a month ago. If she was posioned, how long would it take for her kidneys to totally shut down? She’s acting normal, eats, runs like a wild coyote. I may get her tested again. We did the urine test, clean. I worry every friggin day about her………..(yawning).

66. LorieVA says:

SandyC,

I call my husband at work every morning to see how the cats were acting before he left the house I leave 2 hours before he does, so he is the last to see them in the AM. And the first thing he says now when he gets home is how are the cats acting are they doing anything funny.

67. LorieVA says:

Barb,

Geisha had slightly elevated kidney levels a month after poisoning. at her last ER visiit because she atarted gaging and drooling again i was convinced this was it. Her kidney levels were perfectly normal. So they can come back down. dates and levels

3/23/07 1.2 creanintine first exposure symptoms ER visit
    4/16/07 2.1 creanintine 3 weeks ck up after exposure
    4/27/07 1.4 creanintine ER visit

also urine was done at this visit and it was fine except for her usual crystals which I think came form IAMS last Spring that is a whole other isssue

68. Eric says:

Just to let all who I’ve been talking to know, I just talked to my vet’s office and I’ll be having a urinalysis done on Gidget hopefully by tomorrow.

69. Barb says:

Thanks for the helpful information re kidney levels. I may get her tested one last time next week. She’s running around, eating, good poop, shredding everything she can get a hold of.
    Funny you should mention calling your husband re how the animals are. I leave before my husband does for work and I call him, always saying “how are the critters”? lol Daily. Then I can sneek in a “I love you” (for taking care of the animals) Of course I always worry about them bloating, since I have two wonderful german shepherds. Ahhhhhh. Worry, worry and more worry. That is my middle name.

Linda: You have to read the specifications for a water filter. They are all different. Some do take out fluoride. Some filters only “reduce taste” of chemicals in the water. Some take 99.99% of chlorine, fluoride, industrial and agricultural chemicals. The countertop models are usually more effective than the ones that are a small cartridge that hangs on the tap. You also have to read specifications of replacement filter cartridges to make sure you are getting the filtration you want. It is cheaper and you get purer water using home filtration over bottled. I have never found a filter that removes the dissolved minerals (calcium, magnesium, etc.) from the water, but that is not generally a worry unless a vet says so.

71. martin says:

LorieVA:

YAY Lorie. Great post!!!!

72. LorieVA says:

martin,

Thanks, i was convinced and so was the vet that she was going to be a CRF kitty, since her level double in 3 weeks. God takes care of his own. I truly believe that. And animals are the most innocentout of the bunch. She and Topaz both have GI upset sometimes but so far so good for now

73. Barb says:

Lorie–we have our husbands trained!

74. Eric says:

LorieVA,
    That’s great news! I hope all of their GI disappear, or already have. And I will continue to pray that your kitties have no long-term ill effects. I also agree with your statement that God takes care of his own. I’ve praying almost nonstop since this whole crisis began. Also, Evy of Kumpi being a Christian also helped sway me to using KumpiKat.

75. Eric says:

And oh yeah, you all have the husbands trained, well I am the husband and my wife realizes that right now the cats are getting the bulk of the attention.

76. Claudia says:

I’m also one of those cat moms who wake them up to see if they’ll play. Did it just last night. My one big cat (18 lbs) was sleeping a little more than usual in the basement and I had to see if he wanted to wake up and play. I’m feeding them all the same stuff, and the others are more playful than they’ve ever been. Still, I’m not really sure about anything anymore.

Since I haven’t been feeding them a whole lot of wet food recently (I use Merrick or Evangers or Felidae) because of the whole melamine in U.S. chicken and U.S. and Canadian fish, I’ve been making them homemade chicken broth (with local chicken and fresh carrots — fingers crossed) and they like it so much they’ll drink about 1/2 cup at a time. I figure this makes up for the lack of water. Only 2 of my kitties really like their water; my 18 year old and my 18 pounder — they always have (no diabetes, renal disease, etc.)

Maybe make a meat broth of your own and see if they’ll drink. I found since I started the high protein dry diet that they do drink more than usual, but I think they know that their kidneys need more liquid to process the protein.

77. molly says:

Eric: that’s good, Ive been reading all this and was going to tell you, just go to the vet, better safe than sorry. Im so worried all the time like everyone here. Maybe Gidget’s just drinking lots of water because it’s so hot…………. hope Gidget is fine :) . let us know

78. Eric says:

Claudia,
    I’m hoping and praying the higher protein, healthier dry food is all that’s causing an increase in drinking for my cats. Then again, I can’t even be for certain that they ARE drinking more, and that it’s not just me being more attentive and paranoid.

79. Eric says:

Molly,
    I’ll certainly let everyone know. Thanks!

80. Linda says:

Thanks Helen! I’ll check into that. I sure am getting tired of buying all that water!!!

Analysis: Asia fears Chinese greens Published: May. 11, 2007 at 10:05 AM
    UPI

“Concern about fresh produce grown in China is particularly increasing in Asia.

“While the United States and other countries have stepped up calls for China to improve its food and drug labeling processes, countries across Asia are also worried about the foods that do not get labeled and yet make it to their markets — fresh fruits and vegetables as well as fish and meat.

“Reports of Chinese-farmed vegetables grown by using chemicals banned in Japan or unsanitary conditions appear on a regular basis.”

Seems we aren’t the only ones who don’t want food or med products from China.

82. Eric says:

menusux,
    I’ve even read that people in China who can afford it have their food shipped from out of country (Australia, Japan, etc.). When Chinese citizens try not to eat the food, that’s really bad.

Linda: What’s even better than not having to buy all those jugs of water is not having to lug all those jugs around! :D

84. Sylvia says:

Thanks for keeping us informed, menusux!

85. Barb says:

Eric…ha! My dogs get MUCH more attention than my husband. this whole thing is a nightmare.
    I may take my doggie in one more time for a blood test to be safe. I see her drinking more than the other ones…then again she is a puppy full of energy.

Hot in Arizona.

86. Gary says:

By menusux:

Seems we aren’t the only ones who don’t want food or med products from China.”

Hopefully they will accomplish what the U.S. can’t because of corruption and greed.

87. YaYa says:

Regarding the “nasty” GREENS from China question by other countries; well I think I’ve mentioned before, of my researching all of “this” that, in China the average farms there are 1-2 ACRES apiece. Not the 1-2000 {or more} like WE have Here. Thousands and thouands of Very Small farms make up/farm the China Farm crops.

These poor people are just Peasants. Trying to eck out a lving besides food for their Own tables.

They take that extra to market {I imagine with oxen-pulled carts, the same ones that plowed the field to begin with}

Many many small farms coming, bringing, sending crops into the Big cities to be processed.

I imagine many many “hands” passing that crop along till it reaches the Manufactures.

They do Not have the Farming Regulation like Us or say Japan for food crops.

Can you Imagine, a Country of 1.5? BILLION and what it would take to REGULATE anything, considering their Very Recent Stronghold from a Gonernment of Communism????? Who did’nt give a Rats åSS if Any of them {country folks} ATE at All???

The water is filthy, they are now using chemicals that the “city folks” tell them makes Bigger and Higher Yield crops etc. etc. etc

And all along they they Always had the practice of “night soil”. {you put *your* “own manure” down along the crops}
    What did they know. What did they have? that’s how they’ve always done it.

500,000 people a year die from Hepatitis B alone in China. That’s viral. But 500,000 Per Year for that One virus Alone in China!

Wooooo, Can you Imagine if 500,000 People {or pets} DIED each year HERE?!

I swear it’s STILL like buying crops from “cavemen”.
    And I *don’t* mean that as a slam. Just a point of “comparison” in the Time frame we’re dealing with.
    The lack of progress, education and safety.

{tho these days being a ‘caveman’, or even a caveman, is a sort of compliment, I guess :-) }

THAT’S Some of the reasons Other countries Ban or won’t do business with China’s crops {lord help em, Fresh is Terifying to ME! ECK!

I hope I haven’t hurt any one’s feeling telling these facts. It’s just the truth.

88. 4lgdfriend says:

Wally World down the tubes yeah!!

89. 4lgdfriend says:

menusux said: “Some U.S. lawmakers are pushing for punitive tariffs on imports of Chinese goods if Beijing fails to ease currency controls that critics say keep its currency undervalued, giving exporters an unfair price advantage and adding to China’s trade surpluses.”

EXACTLY

90. YaYa says:

Whew Eric! :-) That pattern of approx. every 2 hours is Much better than it sounded like was happening.
    Thank goodness. I would still, to ease your mind take in a specimen. {which I think you said you were doing tomorrow.}

1- thing, Urinalysis is FAST. For Many many things. And I understand the crystals are Very apparent too. {including elevated sugar for diabetes}.
    Microscopic blood, higher white cells, can’t remember if they do a centrifuge seperation of simple urinalysis. It’ll be good, no matter.

SO you SHOULD get results {most} before you walk out of the Vet. office even on half day Saturdays. :-)

See if You could possible get the specimen on your own and ‘freely’ {like I explained above methods}. No expression or catheterzation- Ouch. :-P

If you can’t I understand. :-)
    Keep us posted!

91. JanC says:

I have been reading all your posts & cracking up…..I don’t have a cat, I have a dog. I thought maybe it was just me constantly checking her potty habits, waking her up when she’s sleeping to make sure she’s ok…..watching her water intake. One day I think she’s drinking too much water, the next day not enough…..oh my God, it’s making me crazy.

I don’t think I ever checked her drinking or potty habits before March of this year. I can’t believe how obsessed I’ve become with my dog’s behavior…..things I never gave a second thought to before this recall.

I was feeding her the dry version of a canned food that was one of the first recalled & that made me totally freak. She went in for all the tests & she was ok, thank God.

I don’t think I’ll ever feel the same about commercial food, EVER. I was one of the naive ones who believed that all dog foods were wholesome & good for my dog…..never had one clue about 4d animals or chemicals. Really pissed me off to think I could’ve put my faith in these money hungry jacka***s. Who would think that any pet food would be bad for our beloved fur babies? It still doesn’t make any sense why they throw all that crap in there……I would think it would be in their best interest to keep animals healthy, not kill them. But then again, I’m not an exec with a PF company looking to buy my fourth house & 17th Mercedes.

92. Claudia says:

Yikes! After reading some of the messages here today, something just twigged. I have been boycotting Chinese products for about two years now and it just dawned on me that I have investments in my retirement portfolio that might be supporting China. I called my financial advisor and asked him to look into what companies the funds I have invest in. After a while, he called me back to tell me that none of my investments are in China. They are mostly supporting small national businesses.

Could you imagine? Here I am spouting off about China, and I might have been directly contributing money to their death machine.

93. 4lgdfriend says:

http://www.gocomics.com/dwanepowell/ on the high tech FDA

94. Eric says:

YaYa,
    I should have better clarified earlier, but I really appreciate your advice. I had not thought to take a urine specimen in until you suggested it. I have a litter box set up with aquarium gravel, now I’m just patiently waiting for Gidget to use this new, strange litter. I also stopped by the vet to get some syrenges (sp?) for collecting the specimen. So far he just wants to eat and play, and thinks the litter is weird.

95. JanC says:

Just another thought……

Saw a sign in Wal-Mart yesterday (cruised down the dog/cat food aisles just to check it out)……one of the big PF companies felt the need to put up a big sign proclaiming how safe their food is & that you can feed it with confidence. I laughed out loud. They had their chance & they blew it, big time. I can only hope that their sales are down. It couldn’t happen to nicer people.

Also read somewhere yesterday that some of the premium PF companies, those that were smart enough to put up notes on their websites telling pet parents that they are now testing testing testing before the food leaves their plant, can’t keep up with the demand for their food. I have a very short list of safe foods & those that are doing a lot of testing are certainly on it.

Still wonder why the biggest PF companies, the ones with dry food that has been killing animals all along & which they still claim is perfectly fine, have remained silent. We know that rather than going public, they have been sneaking around pulling their food off shelves in the middle of the night…..cowards, all of you. I will never buy food from any of the big PF companies again, ever. If you had any brains at all, which we all seem to doubt at this point, you would start making a pet food to keep an animal alive & healthy rather than killing them. Why you choose to use our animals for your own personal toxic dump is beyond me……& makes me question your humanity.

96. anon says:

“FDA censored a fifth suspected substance from the inspection list. Why hide it now?”

As a person closely related to someone in the chem/ingredient distro industry — they’d hide it if it’s a common ingredient…there is a LOT in our food, vitamins, etc. that comes only from China (ascorbic acid is one), and the distributors here have been having huge trouble for years with the tiny cheap-quality companies (which also are known for using VERY unsafe practices) “cheating” exactly as the jack**ses did with the recent melamine trick, as well as many other ways. They weren’t surprised at all at what happened. There are a few big Chinese suppliers that are good/trustworthy but they’re also pricey, so they take OUR chances buying from cheap iffy places instead…

97. Claudia says:

JanC,

Which companies are on your list that are “testing, testing, testing?” I haven’t had time to go through all of the PF company sites recently.

98. SandyC says:

JanC your’e so much kinder than I am about the big pet food companies in that you don’t say their name…but I will. Purina pet food killed my dog in February. It also caused a second dog to have seizures. Purina…I’ll say it every chance I get because I don’t want them to kill someone else’s dog. Speaking of Purina, I just got a return mailing label this week from Purina to send them a sample of their food that killed my dog.

Hey guys just got home form work and no one attack me for food right away I am like are you guys are ok whats wrong why isn’t anyone ding donging for food. if we all make it though this with a visit to the funny farm it will be amazing.

Oh boy here we go Geisha just ate a little bit an headed to the drinking fountain. I am trying to go out of town tomorrow for the first time since this all started in March. I wish a paid closer attention before all this so I would know it that is normal routine or not. UGH

OK re: US Trade Envoy, here’s what I have so far:

Office of the US Trade Representative is a cabinet-level position. The current chief Trade Representative is a Bush appointee, Susan Schwab:

Timothy P. Stratford is the US Trade Representative for China Affairs:

Contacts:

Mailing Address
    600 17th Street, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20508
    United States of America

Phone Numbers for Representatives/Departments:

Administration 202-395-7360

China 202-395-3900

We have a “general” e-mail address which says that your e-mail will be directed to the appropriate office:

mailto:contactustr@ustr.eop.gov

I’d believe that “Dear Mr. Stratford” in your e-mail would get it forwarded to him, and that “Dear Ms. Schwab” would do the same for the Chief US Trade Representative.

Since we’re now banned in China, I’d take this as a sort-of back-handed compliment because it means what we’re posting here is truthful and the Chinese government apparently does not want their citizens to know about the dangers to the food and medicines sold in their markets. Would also believe they wouldn’t want it known that the Olympic Village is said to be the only place for safe drinking water during the 2008 games. (Also think they weren’t too happy about our not wanting their cooked chickens for the same reasons.)

Those of you who are old enough to remember the old “Iron Curtain” days can recall that many of us lost sight of the fact that it was our GOVERNMENT having serious differences with theirs. All Soviets weren’t bad, just as all Chinese citizens aren’t bad, nor are all US citizens good. (Should you be inclined to think that US citizens do no wrong, read the news, on the net, in various papers, or watch it on TV-most of the stories are not “good” news ones.)

The Chinese government needs to make changes–many of which will benefit their citizens and those of the rest of the world. And we all need to remember to keep the people separate from their government. (Imagine if we were all judged by the head of ours!!!!)

What? No Friday afternoon recall? What is going on?

Lorie(VA?) My cat is not interested in her dinner either. Cat conspiracy to make us crazier? She wants to play…just not hungry! She is ALWAYS hungry! AUUUUGH.

menusux: Thank you for another great post! Yeah, I would hate to be compared to dubya or any of his pals. They are doing such a bang up job of ruining all things good.

103. Barb says:

HA! Lori–you’re not alone. Enjoy your weekend and stop worrying. (yeah, right)

Sandy–I’m sorry to hear about your dog dying from Purina. What brand? Both my Sister’s feed their dogs Purina One. All of the dogs eat the senior dry food. They have been on this food for years with no problems. they will nto switch, they will not listen to me. The dogs are all very old. Imagine that. I can’t get a german shepherd to live past 9 1/2. My old gal died in December and her mate in March of this year. Both had health problems. They ate canidae all their lives. Plus I did give them the wet recalled bull crap. All I have now are two sheps & a chi left. This has been the worst year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

104. Eric says:

Helen,
    The day is far from over, and we all know how much they like their sneaky after-hours announcements.

Eric, You are probably right, but the suspense is killing me!

Okay just made chicken tenderloins Topaz is chowing down and Geisha is like ick whats this, I thinkyouguys are right it is a conspiracy .

SandyC sorry you lost your dog I am esp sorry it was to no good PURINA. Unbelievable. I hate those clowns. I thnk I just realized my kids need pepcid this isalways fun be back a little later. GRRRRRRRR

Darn FF

107. SandyC says:

Barb, sorry to be slow answering. I’m making dinner for the family (4footed and 2 footed). Barb it was Beneful that made my dogs sick. I’ve homecooked and raw fed my dogs for years but used kibble to supplement on days when I was overly busy. All 4 dogs became sick but 2 became extremely ill and one died. We suspect the smaller dogs were filled up more with treats and food they begged from the table and ate less of the dog food that night so they had less severe reactions to it. This was in Feb before the recalls. When I called Purina, they just flat told me it couldn’t have been the food because it was safe. Well it wasn’t too safe since I had a dead dog! They weren’t even willing to discuss it until after the recall. When I called FDA to file a complaint, I was told they have had many many complaints on Purina products but it’s a large company and not to hold my breath waiting for a recall. And an interesting note, the last Purina representative that I talked to told me that she is home cooking for her dog at this time.

Purina may be large enough and powerful enough to try to cover up that they make poison dog food but I’ll do everything I can to make sure people know that their food kills dogs!

108. Pordgie says:

Hi all,

Just sharing a pet food company I came across called Pet Promise. It was one of the can foods mentioned by Dr Marty Goldstein. I’m not sure if it’s been talked about here or not.
    I really liked what I read about why the company was formed because of their mission to supporting family farms and changing the way animals are raised and treated.

From Pet Promise Website: Pet Promise only obtains its meat from U.S. farmers and ranchers who are committed to eco-friendly, natural and sustainable practices and who practice the humane treatment of animals. Our pasture-fed beef and free-range chicken come from certified natural producers, such as Coleman Natural Beef & Petaluma Poultry, and your purchase of our quality products helps support family farms that are committed to natural growing methods and a healthy environment that we all can share.

109. JanC says:

Claudia: it’s the Natura products that I was referring to……Innova, Evo, Calif Natural & Karma. Go to the website & read the letter from the Pres. I know I’ve seen it on other websites (the good, premium pet food, not the crap stuff) & if I think of them, I’ll post it. You have to understand I’ve been reading for weeks on end & been to every PF website there is so I’ve lost track of what’s where. I do know Natura is doing extra testing & that’s what I want to hear. I also hear wonderful things about Canidae & Felidae. I want to check out Evangers but I haven’t gotten to their website yet.

SandyC: so sorry about your dog. The more I hear, the more my heart breaks for all of those who lost their babies.

I had my dog on Beneful when I first got her but she was scratching like crazy…..then switched to Purina One……she had the runs…..so both of those were off my list in just a matter of days. And I thought they made good stuff. Yeah, right. What a stupid, ignoramus I’ve been for years buying the big names in PF & finding out they’re all crap.

It was Iams that had the signs up. Iams is the one that killed my neighbor’s cat (long before the recall)……when I got my dog last year (from a private party), they had her on Iams. I’ve never been fond of Iams so I put her on Purina, then on Nutro Ultra until their wet was recalled & eventually got her on Blue Buffalo. Then BB had a few recalls (which I honestly believe was not their fault……I would use their dry food again). So now I’m on Bench & Fields Holistic but she gets about 1/4 c with each meal & the rest is rice, meat & veggies that I cook for her. She also gets a daily multi-vitamin that I hope & pray isn’t more crap from China.

This is just mind boggling…….I am so afraid of commercial food now, I don’t know what to do. I’m constantly watching my dog & feel like there’s something wrong with me. Then I read posts from other people & find I’m not the only one. Don’t know where I’d be right now without Pet Connection, Itchmo & all the others……& all of you who share the heartache, anger & confusion with the rest of us.

SandYC,

I have two sick cats from Purina with in 24 hours of each other and Purina also tell me it is not he food it is safe. Pretty funny they became sick right after the recalls started on March 23rd. ANd it was 2 cans into a new case of their product. Their si no such thing as kitty flu to pass like children do. I didn’t just give both my cats PEPCID for the hell of it. And I sure as heck didn’t spend 2k at the vet because I am a nut that like to drag her cats to the vet and hear them cry the whole way there and have to have urine and blood extracted etc…..they make me sick

111. Trudy Jackson says:

Sandy, thanks for the tips on Beneful. We just bought a big bag of it yesterday to feed our four dogs. Now, I will get rid of it. thanks,

112. SandyC says:

I saw an Iams commercial today. This woman says their vet “Dr. Jill” recommended Iams. Then the voice over says “4 out of 5 Vets recommend Iams”. I’m thinking..where the hell are these vets???? I want to talk to them!

113. JanC says:

SandyC: You do know there is a big movement trying to get Purina for all these deaths that they have refused to acknowledge. They have to know their food has been killing animals & they do nothing except to keep saying their food is safe. These are the kind of people I hope we can put a real dent in their bottom line. I also hope they are made to pay up on some of these lawsuits. However, they are huge & probably have 100 big time lawyers they can hide behind. And you can bet your sweet bippy that their lawyers are working around the clock to save their rearends. If we could just stop people from buying their products & hurt them financially, that would make a lot of people very happy.

One pet website was doing a lot of reporting on this but I haven’t seen anything lately so I have no clue what’s going on. If I can find anything more, I’ll post it.

114. SandyC says:

Trudy after my dog died and the others were sick, I got on the net and did a Google search for “Beneful seizures” I was horrified when I found the number of people that had sick and dead dogs because of this food. You can find pages and pages of stories similar to mine at the following link:

Claudia: Kumpi is testing. Kumpi also tested production samples from the last ten months, all clean according to Kumpi.

JanC: Word of mouth is great for getting people not to buy something. I have personally talked quite a few people out of buying Purina, and I am going to keep right on doing it. I fed my cat Fancy Feast for years, but no more. Think how much money we can cost them if we just keep talking. Maybe that will get their attention, since sick, dying, and dead pets are not their concern.

117. YaYa says:

Hi SandyC, I just wanted to menton or ask a couple of things.

With the shipping label to send the food back to Purina, did they tell you, WHEN they get the Test Result WHEN YOU’D be Informed of them too?????????

If it were me, I’d Insist on That. Get it in writting if you can, that You {and your Vet} will receive a Copy of the Results In EMAIL & HARDCOPY {US Postal on Paper}.

The Test do Not take Weeks and Weeks to get the Results for either. Get them to agree to a Time limit to get back to you with the Results. 4-6 weeks say.

I think you might be in “limbo” waiting if not.

{tho you already know the answer, having it IN PRINT is Important.}
    Tho it is your choice o how to handle them.

Also, I know about Coleman Ranch and their meat. It’s Excellent. I think the Family Ranch has been around for more tha 100 years. and Fed on Good Colorado Grasslands. {Range fed}. You can Order their Meats as well :-)

For folks : I think it’s http://www.colemanranch.com Or just do a search on the Coleman Ranch in Colorado.
    I’ve got some of their “chuckwagon” recipes :-)
    Just FYI.

When all of this Pet Food issue started and my cat was sick. The Vet said to go Organic.
    My cat was on Proctor and Gamble’s IMAS and Nestle-Purina’s Canned Friskies when she got sick. {so was my Pure Breed Oriental Shorthair “Shimi” whom I had to put to sleep in 2005.}

This was all Prior to March 16th. The Vet SAW my cat on March 15th, tho we talked for the whole week before that. {I said it was The Food :-) }

There’s just are not alot “on the shelf” ones around here. But the store he mentioned had “Pet Promise”. It says “Natural”. I bought some Dry.

Now I’ll admit my Cat does Like the Pet Promise. I read the website and all.
    The ingredients appear Great and all. {it wasn’t the Organic the Doc. wanted tho}

BUT— I found out the Pet Promise is Purina under the Radar. HERE. Nestle-Purina Owns Pet Promise. I asked and it took them a while to admit it.

I’ve spoken with them {several times since March 16th}, as the next day After the Vet visit for my Cat {and I had the Food already {tho still looking for an Organic}}
    The RECALLS BEGAN.

It All made sense to me then. AND All the way back to my Pure Bred OS too.

I also have a Case# with the FDA. From when I made my first call to them. I called them on Saturday nite the 17th. Their “emergency number” and left a message. They called me about 9am on Monday the 19th.
    {Fast!}

I called and called and called for DAYS to Purina and Imas. It/they were Constantly BUSY.

I’ve talked Several times with FDA. The gals were Great to me and took down everything. Tho they REALLY wanted Test Results If and When I got any. Tho the Vet did not take any. {my cat was not “dead on her feet sick” but sick none the less; we did not Know about the Recall untill the next *day after the Vet*.}

So a few days went by. And I decided to Stop with the Pet Promise due to it being Nestle-Purina.

And as the Recalls Grew— and Purina slide into Silence; I was Glad for my decision.

I despise Them for Ignoring US and for their “night time raids” to remove foods quietly off of store shelves and away from Public View.

Their name is MUD in my mind and I won’t spend my money on ANY of their Products.

That includes Cocoa!

I would have future respect possibly, for a Company that Stand up and takes their Medicine from us and Makes things right for/with Us. Oh Soooooo much More.

Like the ole Tylenol way.
    {did the Not learn from THAT Disaster???} All You Pet Food Companies reading this???????!
    Of course Humans died then.

I’m sure they’ve got FILES on All of Us outspoken ones here. So if we have any future “issues” with Them; they will be locked and loaded.

My Cat did not have the Blood work etc initially {the rock solid proof for this}
    BUT, the FDA told me to SAVE ALL the Food remaining.

I’ve gt half full Cans in the freezer in zip-locs. I’ve got the remains of the IMAS.

I’ve Also got the ALUMIMUN Cans with the codes/dates/lots/plants on them as we Recycle here.

I’ve got Cans {washed} that go back for more than a year.
    {as trips to the metals recycler facility is a drive and we make it worth our while now. All nicely packed in clean Hefty trash bags.}

I’ve got all the unopenned cans we bought in Jan./Feb 07 sitting on a shelf in the back of the pantry.

The FDA took down lots of those numbers.
    So I’m “on the record”.

It’s been a long hard recovery for my cat to get the TOXINS OUT!

It’s been to difficult a luck of the draw for so many here. And I will Not support these Companies even if *1* of their lines is “good”.

I don’t mention the Case# etc. with FDA very often to folks. They thought I was NUTZ in the begining BEFORE this Fiasco!

It’s Your Choice folks. To support a Company or Not.
    To Boycott or Not.

WE have a Chance to EFFECT A CHANGE Upon the Pet Food Industry. For Now and the Future.

Your choice how you did it.

Sorry for the “quieter” Rant :-)
    Oh and as usual, the typos!

118. Trudy Jackson says:

Sandy, Thanks for sending Me to that web site. we bought the Beneful , not yesterday, but the day before. They have been eating it sense then. I had no idea about this at all. I have lost 3 cats to Hills Z/D that they still say is safe, I don’t want to lose any more pets. My cats are also on Purina One. Now I don’t know what to do? Thank you so much, trudy

119. YaYa says:

Oh! SandyC, I also advise to SAVE a Sample of the Food {a cup and a half, even 2 cups.}, that you are returning to Nestle-Purina. In a zip-loc.
    Write the codes and dates etc., on the ziploc and SAVE that sample! Write the codes etc. on a paper and save That in a file.

Wouldn’t want Nestle-Purina to come back to you with a sad story that, the Returned food was “lost” in shipping, or “somewhere” while, they were doing the testing.

Is it possible to get it returned with a Signature upon, receiving? On top of their method of shipping. {might cost *you* a dollar more or so, but worth it imho.}

Maybe down the road, you might just want to send a portion of that food sample off, to an Independent Lab for your Own Results. {you know for “comparision” purposes} :-P

Just some more thoughts here.

Ya Ya and everyone else with Purina complaints:

To be honest I wouldn’t even trust PURINA to test I would love to have my FF tested but it is so expensive. BTW have you guys gone to the forum and filled out Donna’s survey on PURINA products. Go check it out it is a good one.

I here you when you say it takes awhile to get the toxins out my youngest just had loose stool againfor the third time this week. I am sure part of that is the food cahnge still but it is all because of the recall so it is all relative.

My poor kitties are so confused on what they get to eat these days. They are tired of tired of the chicken I made tonight really do not want o eat it, sick of wild salmon, so I had to break out sardines in spring water ick they are gross but they liked that is all that matters.

121. Trudy Jackson says:

What is Donnas’ forum on Purina? thanks,

122. YaYa says:

Oh, Another thing I remembered. Pet Promise was Suppose to call me back nearly 2 weeks ago now. I had called and asked WHERE their supplements etc {even the Yucca in it} CAME From. I’ve not hear a “peep” back from them on THAT part. That does not bode well for themwith me either. Say {now}: I do not know or will find out, OR CHINA! {she did say: I do not know But Will find out.}

I’m not the Only one who wants these answers. They should have it written down *by now* for when we call, for ALL of us.

I not only do not want things From China IN the foods, I also worry about Other contaminants IN the other ingredients.

Things we’ve not begun to address.

I Firmly believe China will/would “cut”, “dope” and alter, *ANYTHING* they can to send to the USA now. And Have since this Trade began in earnest. Maybe the last 5 years heavily.

123. YaYa says:

Hi Trudy, go to: http://www.ItchmoForums.com and look for Donna and the catagory for sign-up and post your Purina problems. I can’t think of the exact title right now!

But it is with the Recall Issues.

There is Lots there to read and post back on.

Trudy,

Yes it is on Purina product user survey, taking type of pet symmptoms or issues form product etc

125. Claudia says:

JanC, Helen,

Thanks for the info. Sadly, I can’t get Kumpi here in Canada. I can’t even order it on the Net because they only deliver to the US. I’d love to try it, sounds like Evy is really honest and willing to answer questions.

126. SandyC says:

YaYa, I have most of a large bag left..obviously didn’t take much to kill a dog and make 3 more ill.. Anyway, I talked to my attorney today and he said for me to bring the bag in and we would prepare four 2 cup packages in front of witnesses and notarized. One I would send to Purina and one to an independent lab. We would hold the other 2 for future needs. Purina told me it would take around 3 weeks for me to get the results in the mail. Is a good idea to get a signature for delivery. I hadn’t thought of that.

127. Trudy Jackson says:

Thanks, I’ll go there.

128. YaYa says:

I just LUV the Ichtmo Ban!

I feel all safe and warm and cozy Now!

If you Ever want lessons on how to “Cover yer Butt” ask China’s Government.

{hear that Corporations?!}

I say Raspberries! {:-þþþþþþþþþþ

129. JanC says:

SandyC: Do you want me to save you time & trouble & tell you what Purina’s test results will be? We can all guess. I’d love to hear back on this especially what the independent lab says. I have little doubt it’s tainted.

Sort of reminds me of the people who told Nutro that their gourmet feast canned made their cats sick…..Nutro, of course, said it couldn’t possibly be their food & to send a sample. They sent a sample & also sent a sample to an independent lab. Nutro said they tested it & it was fine…..other lab found melamine. Now, I ask you, is this not the absolute worst thing you’ve ever heard a company do? This is the lowest of the low as far as I’m concerned. Nutro was forced to recall as they had the results from the other lab & reported it to the FDA (not that they are much help). So you see, I have a long list of companies I wouldn’t do business with ever again. I would cook for my dog for the rest of my life if these asswipes were the only choices I had. Another big company bought out Nutro, probably so they won’t face any liability with all the animals they’ve killed. Kiss my ***, all of you cowardly PF companies.

Keep us up to date…..

130. SandyC says:

After reading Itchmo’s warning in the formus, let me add to my previous posts…IN MY OPINION. :)

131. JanC says:

Ditto……..

132. YaYa says:

SandyC, GREAT! An Attorney on the Ball!
    I’d thought of witnesses, but thought this was just between you and Nestle-Purina.

Maybe put the extras in a Safe deposit box at Attorney or Bank with a Witness {2 even}. {you have to sign in and out so *that* will be on the record too.}

I’d send the Sample{s} {any or anywhere} Certified/Registered US Postal.
    {can’t remember if a “box” can be sent Cert/Reg. tho.

Good Lord that bag must be Load with Poison Sandy, WEAR GLOVES! And wipe down any-place it touches afterwards. Maybe wear face masks too. Wash After-wards too!
    Is the whole big bag IN a heavy Hefty or something? I would definitely put IT In something to protect from the sifting through the seams!

Gawd to kill so many with so little amount!

That is about the Worst one I’ve heard yet.

I’m So Sorry.

Can I ask how large were your dogs?

This just is AWFULLLLL!

You hear me PET FOOD COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You READING THIS?!

Sorry Sandy.

133. YaYa says:

And as ALWAYS and I should not have to Repeat it: My Opinions and thoughts Only, here, folks! :-þ

134. PegH says:

Anyone else besides me having no luck accessing pet connection site?

135. YaYa says:

PegH, I haven’t lately, but they might be updated it momentarily. Sometimes that happens even here. And we’ve had a Busy week in the Pet world. {week?! Heck Months!}

Lots of Info to load.

Just give it a little bit of time and try again Peg.

136. SandyC says:

My dog that died was approx 45 pounds. He ate the largest amount of food. The next seriously affected is 12 pounds…tho she was been given home made/raw food at night and ate the kibble as a snack before bedtime so we believe the “dilution factor” prevented her from dying. The 2 smallest are 6 & 7 pounds. They’re spoiled and beg very well therefor they eat very little dog food. They were the least seriously affected. They mostly vomited bile,were lethargic and confused. After my big dog died, we continued to use the food for about a week because this was BEFORE the recalls and we had no idea the food was causing the sympoms. But as I’ve said, the dog food was only to suplement the home made/raw so they got very little of it which we believe saved their lives.

137. Eric says:

Eight Sensible Choice Dry Dog Food Products, Seven Kasco Dry Dog and Cat Food
    Products Recalled Nationwide by Royal Canin USA Effective Today

Trace amounts of a melamine derivative identified in limited number of
    recalled products

ST. CHARLES, Mo., May 11 /PRNewswire/ — Royal Canin USA is announcing
    today the voluntary nationwide recall of eight Sensible Choice dry dog food
    products and seven Kasco dry dog and cat food products.

This announcement is based on the company’s ongoing extensive review of
    its manufacturing and quality assurance testing procedures, which
    identified trace amounts of a melamine derivative from tainted Chinese rice
    protein concentrate provided to the company by domestic ingredient supplier
    Cereal Byproducts, headquartered in Illinois.

“We deeply regret the concern and anxiety this announcement today will
    cause our loyal customers and the entire pet community,” Olivier Amice,
    President and CEO of Royal Canin USA, said. “While a very limited number of
    Sensible Choice and Kasco products in this recall tested positive for trace
    levels of a melamine derivative, Royal Canin USA is voluntarily withdrawing
    these products out of an abundance of caution and because we are fully
    committed to the welfare of our customers’ pets.”

Royal Canin USA has no confirmed cases of melamine related illness in
    pets eating Sensible Choice and Kasco products affected by this recall.
    Last month, Royal Canin USA announced it will no longer use any Chinese
    vegetable protein suppliers.

The following eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven
    Kasco dry dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006
    to April 30, 2007 are being voluntarily recalled:

SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Adult (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Lamb and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Adult (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Senior (Dry Dog Food)
    – SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Puppy (Dry Dog Food)

KASCO(R) (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
    – KASCO(R) Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Hi Energy (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Maintenance (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Mealettes (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Mini Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    – KASCO(R) Cat (Dry Cat Food)

Based on today’s announcement, pet owners should stop feeding their
    pets the eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products, seven Kasco dry dog
    and dry cat food products listed. Pet owners should consult with a
    veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet.

The safety and nutritional quality of Royal Canin USA pet food is our
    company’s top priority because we understand that the health of pets comes
    first. Pet owners who have questions about the voluntary recall of Sensible
    Choice and Kasco dry pet food products and other Royal Canin USA products
    should call 1-800-513-0041 or visit our web site at

All Sensible Choice and Kasco products have a satisfaction guarantee
    and the company will refund or replace the diets that are part of this
    recall announcement.

See the Royal Canin website for more information.

138. YaYa says:

Well there goes the Friday night anticipation factor. The just can’t seem to let us down :-(

They’ve fulfilled our Prophecy.

And the Band Played On•••••••

139. PegH says:

I for one, would be lost without you folks.

Happy Friday from Royal Canin………………

140. PegH says:

Interesting too, is how Royal Canin refers to the contaminant as a melamine derivative. But to their credit, they have it front and center on the site!!
    Thanks to you too Eric!!