Recall Update: Friday

Exclusive: Lab report says cyanuric acid found in unrecalled dry food.

To verify the lab’s report, Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.

If you find this unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If it’s the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

News Updates (11:48am Pacific):

Other News:

Check out our non-recall news below. And as always, we’ll keep covering all pet news.

P.S. Have questions? Need help? Try our ItchmoForums and get your questions answered by great pet owners.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

(Thansk to many reader tips)

136 Responses to “Recall Update: Friday”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

1. sandi says:

Why is Itchmo. looking for a bag to test?

Is Iams attempting to hide this?

Walmart sells alot o f Iams dog foods, do they want it hidden, like the foods being imported that are tainted.

Sandi

2. Genny says:

Sandi, (OOPS - posted this on the other blog first by mistake).

I think they want an UNopened bag to verify the lab’s report and probably to circumvent any cop out excuses.

From Itchmo - at begining of this blog:

“”We cannot stress this point enough: This test was performed on a sample from an opened bag. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after the sale, or if it is widespread.””

3. Susan says:

Is Itchmo looking now? Has anyone found a bag? I planned out a trip I can take today from pet store to feed store, etc., that will take me to 8 different places. I just want to know if anyone’s found a bag yet.

4. HomeGrown says:

Just found this on Walmarts Recall page. Diesel Fuel anyone? I’ll take mine on the side thanks.

5. HomeGrown says:

Susan

I’m guessing Itchmo would have put up a notice if they had found a bag. They are on top of things here. I am also going out today and will check. If I find one and Itchmo already has a bag I will just return it.

I am holding onto a 20# unopened bag of IAMS Lamb and Rice that I bought before when this first started. Has some of these numbers on it but the expiration date is 6/19/08. Been afraid to feed it and not going to donate it so will probably be buried after all this is over. IF it is ever over.

6. HomeGrown says:

Just thought you would like to see this. Letter to the President from Rep. Delauro:

7. LorieVA says:

Kim,

this is for your IAMS spreadsheet not sure if you saw post from way back that my 2 cats last spring had issuse with IAMS hairball formula and indoor wt control they ate the two mixed together,

Geisha had bloody runny stool and develop a UTI with perm crystal problem vet said she at some bacteria, she is an indoor cat of a very parinoid cat owner MOI who makes everyone remove shoes, no plants etc……..

Topaz would vomit yellow bile and then foamy stuff in about 20 piles at a time all over the house upstairs in down, vet said she had sensitive stomach issues from turning seven

Switched food to Eukanuba sensitive stomach for Topaz no more vomiting till new problems with FF this past March

Switched Geisha to Science Diet RX C/D no more problems till FF this past March

8. Chuck says:

LorieVA, Iams and Eukanuba are partners. Check out the toxins in Science Diet too.

9. Rick says:

HomeGrown-
    Thanks for the post about Margaret Holmes diesel greens! I went to their website and it says they found a “trace” of diesel fuel in the turnip greens, and it is “not a health hazard”—ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? And this from a grown & made in the USA company. Amazing…
    BTW, I had a can of the tomatoes, okra and corn. Into the trash it went!

10. LorieVA says:

Ok, I just got off the phone with a lab I am sending 3 cans of my suspect tainted food on Tuesday morning to be tested, they need about 8oz of product so to be safe sending 3 cans all out of the same new case they got sick from half way through second can. Hopefully, the case is all the same batch and not just a random bad can here and there and I just so happened to use the poison can. *sigh* that would be just my luck. Keep fingers crossed we get the results we need to hang another company out to dry.

11. Debbie4747 says:

LorieVA…good luck with the testing. Let us know how it progresses. We’re with ya!

12. LorieVA says:

Debbie4747

Thanks, due to possible blow up of lab i am sending to or hit man beig sent to my house I left out specific names in above blog. *WINK* You never know I think these b people are crazy and desperate.

We all know that “Nobrain” sits in his SmithBucklin office in DC, with his PFI hat on, spinning stories to try justifying his paycheck for that account. When he last emitted meaningless hot air regarding Chinese imported ingredients, this is what came out:

USA Today May 21, 2007

“Rather than “shut the door” on Chinese ingredients, Pet Food Institute President Duane Ekedahl says better procedures are needed to ensure quality. Many pet-food makers, including the USA’s biggest, Nestle Purina PetCare, now screen for melamine.”

And now let’s hear from the Country of Origin:

USA Today May 25, 2007

Chinese say U.S. shares blame in food scandal

“Fed up with weeks of Americans bashing their food safety standards, Chinese government and industry officials say that bargain-hunting U.S. food companies share blame if contaminated Chinese ingredients wind up in food.

“”Officials like me in the Chinese government can supervise the producers here, but U.S. companies doing business with Chinese companies must also be very clear about the standards they need, and don’t just look for a cheap price,” says Yuan Changxiang, a deputy director in the ministry responsible for inspecting imports and exports.

“Jin Zemin, general manager of Shanghai Kaijin Bio-Tech, which specializes in wheat gluten, agrees. U.S. importers “want cheaper prices, but that can come at a cost,” he says. “You should know exactly where the products you buy are coming from. Don’t just look at the price.”

“Even before the news came out that melamine had been added to wheat gluten, Jin says, he was suspicious of some of his competitors.

“”I thought it was strange that other companies offered wheat gluten at $26 to $39 per ton cheaper than ours, with a very high protein level,” he says, adding that his company’s wheat gluten sells for about $900 a ton. “How could that be? If it is so cheap, there must be a problem, I thought.”

“”Some clients asked us before why other companies sold wheat gluten at cheaper prices than ours. Now we know why — because they used fake raw materials,” Yang says.”

And you have to admit the old adage about it being too good to be true holds water. Yes, Mr. SmithBucklin, better procedures ARE needed–the companies need to realize they get exactly what they pay for and can’t believe that “cheap” doesn’t come with some heavy baggage.

Let’s see how you and Mr. Levick can spin your way out of the fact that your members were buying cheap C$$P while still telling the buyer that the food was premium or super premium quality. Heaven knows the pricing reflected that it was. Nobody really meant for the Titanic to hit an iceberg either–but it surely happened.

14. Gail B says:

News from Brakke Consulting:
    > JBS-Friboi confirmed it has submitted a bid to acquire Swift & Co. Additional comment was not available. JBS is the largest beef processor in Latin America and the sixth largest in the world.

> Perdigao S/A announced an agreement in principle to acquire Dutch processor Plusfood Groep BV. Plusfood, a subsidiary of Dutch holding company Cebeco Groep B.V., manufactures poultry- and beef-based processed and convenience food products. The deal is worth approximately EUR 30 million ($40.35 million).

–Now do we really want South America and Latin America taking over US and European countries. Haven’t we had recalled items from SA manufacturers due to lax production controls, lack of proper sanitation and poor quality control?

15. Debbie4747 says:

LorieVA Says:

May 25th, 2007 at 10:50 am
    Debbie4747

****
    Good idea. At first I thought it was funny, but ya never know. I don’t recall hearing back from Teric with his testing. He said it tested negative for melamine, and would know in a few days about other contaminants….I don’t recall seeing a followup. Hope he’s okay. Then there’s those vets that were doing some testing….no follow up on that….and the lady in Canada who got sick from eating dog food…no follow-ups…..

Still, we’re all with ya on this. Fingers crossed that you get some results quickly.

16. LorieVA says:

Debbie4747,

Ok I was sorta joking also but now taht you listed all thoe people never getting back to us, maybe I need to be put in the witness protection program YIKES.

17. 4lgdfriend says:

and the next recall is…………….???
    drumroll…………….

18. pam says:

well, it’s friday and we all know what that means…recall day…used to be my shopping day. then it was my fear day. today my 2 cats and beagle mix are eating home-cooked salmon, valencia rice and spinach for dinner. maybe i’ll shop tomorrow based on what happens today.

19. Debbie4747 says:

LorieVA
    Didn’t mean to scare you! There are just so many loose ends with all of this, not to mention that fifth element that the FDA isn’t naming. Maybe your testing can determine what that may be.
    Just walk around with a scarf around your head, sunglasses and a long overcoat and no one will ever know it’s you.

20. Debbie4747 says:

Pam, I do my shopping on Friday too. I wish they’d do their recall during the day, before I hit the store! I hope Itchmo has that thing with Iams underway by now!

21. DMS says:

I just sent this email to the USDA. You might want to check out their latest assurances that eating contaminated eggs now, as well as the fish, pork and chicken is safe. What will be next? Beef, milk, cheese?

Letter to USDA:

Per your May 24 release 0152.07, you are asking China to give you raw data results of regulated products they are exporting to the US. You are also asking for details of the methodology, procedure and technology used. Why won’t you give your data to American people? How you are arriving at your conclusions? What are the details of your investigations, including actual levels (or at least a range per each product) of contamination of specific products released for human consumption and brand names. Are your assumptions of 100 ppb actual figures of the concentration of melamine and cyanuric acid in poultry, fish, pork and eggs? It’s hard to believe they would all be equally contaminated. Further, this is hard to accept unless you have recently developed a workable assay for measuring cyanuric acid in animal flesh and products. I believe as of last week, you said you had not in a press release. What if one eats 2-3 eggs everyday, what would the total toxin load be. What is the effect of cyanuric acid in human beings? When melamine and cyanuric acid bond into spoke-like crystals, are those crystals as easily excreted from the human body as melamine alone? Are they metabolized or able to lodge in the body due to their shape. I have only seen testing on cows eating biuret, and since we do not have similar digestive tracts and are now eating a combination of melamine and cyanuric acid (and perhaps some other unknown toxins), I wonder how you can come to any logical conclusions of short- and long-term safety. The msds does not look encouraging.
    Regarding eggs, they are in may processed foods we eat. It looks like our toxin load is getting heavier and heavier. Shouldn’t you stop releasing contaminated food now, what will it take to tip the scales in favor of protection and concern for the American people? What will you find tomorrow?

You ask China for data, I am asking you as an American citizen.

22. LorieVA says:

Debbie4747

LOL, if I disappear too you know we have a problem. HMMM who could you call if I disappear, not the FDA or PFI. Who know I may eand up in someone’s next can of pet food, i hear humans are are good protien booster.

23. JanC says:

Debbie4747: Funny you should mention teric. The last I heard was the melamine results……I was just thinking that I haven’t seen any posts under that name in quite a while.

24. Chuck says:

Itch, I think I need to re-group here about these safe pet foods that I eliminated for the reasons explained and most likely will be eliminating Life’s Abundance.

1. When asked about who formulates their food, Canidae tells me that is “proprietary information.”

2. Kumpi’s first ingredient is corn meal, a cheap filler.

3. Evanger’s ingredients for dogs contains potatoes. Potatoes are toxic to dogs.

4. Can’t find ingredients listed on Innova’s website.

5. Now I find out that Life’s Abundance (has) had toxic vit K in it. Purchased it several weeks ago, dog is good, but for the past three days, been picking up vomit after vomit from cats. No hairballs.

6. Vit D 3 in just about all pet foods, including the above, was identified to be a rat poison.

7. Other brands don’t have their ingredients on their websites, but they all talk a good game all around it about how good and safe their pet foods are.

What is your take on this? Where do we go from here?

Need reply from you.

25. Debbie4747 says:

Lorie, please remember to patent your butt along with Helen’s new pet food company. I guess your brand would be “Lorie’s can in a can”???? Maybe you should keep a little note in your wallet,….”In case of an emergency, notify Itchmo.”

JanC, yep it’s like he just disappeared. Last I heard was that it would take a few extra days to test for other things and I haven’t seen him post anything since….or those vets that were doing testing, anything more on that lady eating dog food and probably a few other things I can’t think of right now. This would make for a good segment of that TV show, “Where are they now?

26. LorieVA says:

Debbie4747,

Lorie’s Can in a can Pretty catchy name. LOL FYI I am probably loaded with mela whatever since human food is also laced with crap so please avoid all products that contain my CAN.

27. Debbie4747 says:

Okay Lorie, if you insist, we will “Can” Lorie’s “can” in a “can”, since it is “can”taminated. “Can”sider it “Can”celled.

28. Dogmom says:

I too have been watching the blog closely for Teric’s return. Especially as I feed Canidae and Felidae and they were among the food Teric sent for testing. Teric is definately MIA.

29. Lynn says:

MENU FOODS AND GAG ORDER:

Last night some bloggers asked if Menu Foods could really have been issued a gag order by the Federal Court, as they claimed on their website. I checked with an attorney and his response was:

“The order does appear valid. Apparently what occurred is that many people have filed class action lawsuits and the court is attempting to put the overall contamination/ settlement question in context. Not unusual in those type of suits.”

30. Debbie4747 says:

I just sent Teric a PM from the forums section of this site. If anyone has his regular email addy, maybe you could email him?
    Thanks

More from & about the “powers” that be:

Frustrated House panel threatens to subpoena FDA
    Reuters
    Thursday, May 24, 2007; 11:32 PM

“A Congressional committee on Thursday threatened to subpoena the Food and Drug Administration unless the agency responds to lawmakers’ requests for documents about U.S. drug and food safety.

“If the FDA does not comply by June 1, Dingell said the panel would issue subpoenas to obtain the information.

“The FDA said it was cooperating with lawmakers.

“Since January, the committee has asked the FDA to provide documents about generic drug approvals, an outbreak of salmonella in peanut butter, post-market surveillance of the antibiotic Ketek, contamination of pet food with ingredients imported from China, and antibiotic resistance linked to wide use of drugs in farm animals.

“”The delays and the quality of responses to the committee’s requests concerning FDA are unacceptable,” Dingell said in a letter to Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt. Leavitt’s department oversees the FDA.

“Dingell also complained that in some instances, the FDA turned over redacted records to the committee without any prior consultations about the redactions.”

By Audra Ang
    ASSOCIATED PRESS 5:53 a.m. May 25, 2007

China asks U.S. to clarify food regulations after catfish banned in 3 states over antibiotic

“In a notice on its Web site, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine – China’s main food safety regulator – said it had contacted its American counterpart about the use of fluoroquinolones.

“”In its statement, the quality inspection administration asked Washington to “deal with the problem in an objective, scientific and equitable way.”
    It also warned that the U.S. should not violate World Trade Organization’s rules, which give countries the right to ensure food safety for consumers but not to manipulate health standards to protect domestic producers.

“The Food and Drug Administration has not responded, the Chinese regulator said.

“The Chinese regulator said the drugs are allowed in China, the EU and Japan – and said the FDA allows their use if below concentration levels of five parts per billion.

“According to the FDA, fluoroquinolones have never been approved for use in aquaculture and any amount detected in fish tissue deems the product adulterated. Regulations against the antibiotics in food are intended to prevent bacteria from developing resistance to the drugs.”

Note to those able to read Itchmo in China–as you can see, FDA cannot/will not respond to the citizens and lawmakers of its own nation. You’re on the “call back” list just like Congress and the American people.

32. Joan says:

menusux Says:

May 25th, 2007 at 1:08 pm
    More from & about the “powers” that be:

Thank you menusux! - most interesting!

33. Katie says:

DMS,

You asked earlier about staph. and cont. food. I think it was on PC or earlier in the month… a number of pets had UTI’s that cultured staph. Some of the vets were treating with antibiotics for staph. before the cultures results.

If a pet is eating cont. food which doesn’t have a true protein level, I can see where that would possibly make an animal more prone to infection. Any vet techs with info.?

Katie

34. Katie says:

RE: dry dog food/cyanuric acid/possible cont…

I re-read the post that someone re-copied from the NY Times re: cyanuric acid. Something that jumps out… Mr Yu Luwei, mgr. of Juancheng Ouja Chem Co. in Shandong Prov. said: “I sell (cyanuric acid) to fish meal manuf. and fish famers…and to animal feed…”

Katie

35. Joan says:

The FDA’s next move to protect themselves is SWI - Shopping While Intoxicated

36. HomeGrown says:

Rick

So glad you saw the post above! I know. You would have to have a pretty good imagination to explain how it got into a can don’t ya think?

Ok, now for how my day has gone. First let me say Grrrrrr. LOL I stopped at a few places and decided that I would try Canidae and Felidae for my pets. I have heard no one having problems with them other than that sometimes the cats don’t like the Felidae.

But let me back up a little. I entered the Pet Food shop and looked around a little trying to decide between the Cal. Nat. or the Felidae. Then there was Merrick. Heard good things about that too. I grabbed a the bags of Felidae and Canidae and figured I would ask the girl at the cash register about what others are saying and buying. She looked at me like she didn’t know what I was talking about. I said “You know, all the recalled food and such.” She said “None of the food on our shelves has been recalled.” Duh! She then named off some of the so-called “premium” brands. Many of which have been involved in some way with the recalls, and to her detriment continued…”All foods here have a 100% guarantee. You can bring it back.” And with people standing in line behind me I said “That doesn’t help me if it kills my dog.” I left the food on the counter and walked out. I don’t have patience for stupid people anymore.

Went to the next store and bought the Felidae and Canidae. Brought it home excited to see if my older cat would like it. She was eating it! Yay! Then 3 minutes later puked not once, but twice. Anyone else have this experience? I am scared to give it now. I have been home cooking, but need something to leave out when I go on vacation.

Oh, and not a 20# bag of IAMS Large Breed in sight. :-( I tried.

37. furmom says:

I’ve been boning up a bit on melamine/cyanuric acid chemistry and discovered a couple of things. Forgive me if someone has already covered this. If you take a bunch of melamine, mix it up with one of a few kinds of bacteria, they digest the stuff, they love it, and they turn out cyanuric acid as a result! Also, you won’t have any melamine left when they are done. So you could have some foods with melamine not yet digested, you could have other foods with the melamine all gone, and you will probably get cyanuric acid (not sure how long that sticks around before it’s degraded.) If the pet food is cooked, it would probably kill the bacteria (I’m guessing) so you wouln’t see much evidence of that either. So just testing for melamine may not show a problem. But if it was there, (and you had these bacteria), you will probably get some cyanuric acid, and we now know in an animal they combine to make urinary crystals. Are traces of the bacteria what made some animals sick quicker, some slower (because it takes longer for the crystals to kill them? Also somewhere else said the melamine could be turned into cyanuric acid inside the animal’s digestion, but I haven’t found much on this idea yet. If the bacteria was only a sometimes phenomenon, maybe that explains why animals were sickened at lower levels in previous years, with perhaps also less melamine in the food. So if you are getting food tested, the lab should do the melamine and cyanuric acid test too.

Sorry Itchmo. I struck out on my lunchtime witch hunt for the elusive bag of food. ALL bags I found in a few places expire in August 08. I find it unusual that ALL bags of the same stuff on a shelf expire at the same time, let alone more than one place. Interesting.

P & G, I wasn’t boycotting all of your products until you seemingly thought it would be a better idea to intimidate a web forum and a testing lab than it would be to respond appropriately to the complaints you have been receiving about your pet foods. Shame on you. I am really going to miss a couple of those products, but I will get over it quickly.

39. cheetah-dog says:

We can’t even trust organic foods anymore! This is an article from 2005. Imagine how the Chinese organic ingredients have probably expanded since then:

Debbie4747 and LorieVA: I hear that if you try to “butt” in on Their Own Butt premium cat food and Everyone Else’s Butt premium dog food patents, they will probably send a some men in black after you. Maybe you should “can” it. :D

41. Maureen says:

New release from FSIS/USDA just received:

FSIS Seeks Comments on Agency Decision-Making During Investigation Into Animal Feed Containing Melamine

WASHINGTON, May 25, 2007 — The Food Safety and Inspection Service today announced the availability of a Federal Register document that details the decision-making process that FSIS followed related to pet food scraps fed to swine and poultry that contained melamine and melamine-related compounds. This Federal Register document provides the public an opportunity to comment on those FSIS decisions. FSIS’ public health decisions were made based on the best available scientific data and information. The document is available on public display today at the Office of the Federal Register…AND MORE…

42. Rick says:

HomeGrown-
    I’ve been using both Canidae & Felidae, with good results so far. Your cat my have gotten sick just from switching foods abruptly–it is not uncommon. The kids also like the Merrick wet food. Many people here seem to like Evangers as well. It seems like people have been hving good luck with the Kumpi Cat dry–that was what I was going to try if my cat did not like the Felidae, but she seems to be ok with it.

43. HomeGrown says:

Thanks Rick. I didn’t think i had heard anything bad about it. It is totally possible I gave it to her too abruptly. I will keep an eye on the younger cats and try to ease the older into it. Deciding to try any commercial food was a big step for me, I but it was that or no vacation. I have a few weeks to ease her into it. Ever try the Merrick Dry? I haven’t seen the other two brands in this area.

HomeGrown, I have read vomit stories on a number of trial feedings involving foods I feel comfortable offering my cat. I have read Felidae vomit, Merrick vomit, Innova and Evo vomit, California Natural vomit, Evangers vomit…

These are all very rich foods. I don’t personally believe any of these are toxic, and have offerred all to my cat trying to find a new canned food she will eat. She has eaten some Merrick (though there are still questions about the rendering plant), and she has eaten some Evangers, different flavors all with no vomiting and no ill effects. She would not eat the Cal Nat., Felidae, or Innova or Evo. Try giving a couple of bites along with some food that has not caused any vomiting if you end up wanting to try again. Could be that particular food just does not sit well, and maybe better to try a different one.

45. LorieVA says:

HomeGrown

Felidae gave my littlest one runny stool at first I did too much too soon. other than that she loved it. However I went with KUMPIKAT, Felidae piece were to large for my older cat to chew they would gag her. Two of my co workers are using Felidae with no problem

HomeGrown, Natura is testing all of their food for melamine and cyanuric acid. My cat loves Innova Senior dry food, and has been eating with big enthusiasm and no vomiting whatsoever for over two months now. She was vomiting a lot before the recalls.

47. HomeGrown says:

Thanks Helen. I will do that.

48. HomeGrown says:

You are all so helpful. I will give this a day or two and then switch if the need be. I was hoping this would work since it is a drive to get it.

“Katie Says:

May 25th, 2007 at 1:33 pm
    RE: dry dog food/cyanuric acid/possible cont…

I’m curious; is fish meal only found in dry dog food or is it also found in the wet foods? And, I’m still thinking about that co. that was in the news with the fish food.. that stated they provided fish meal to pet food manuf. I don’t remember seeing any more discussion in the news about that.”

Am looking around trying to find a wet dog food containing fish meal–so far, no luck.

But here’s something interesting about fish meal in general:

“Some preservatives are added to ingredients or raw materials by the suppliers, and others may be added by the manufacturer. The U.S. Coast Guard, for instance, requires fish meal to be heavily preserved with ethoxyquin or equivalent antioxidant. Evidently, spoiling fish meal creates such intense heat that ship explosions and fires resulted.”

Did find a page re: Robert Abady Dog Food Company addressing why they use menhaden fish meal, but can’t seem to “connect” the fish meal to any canned dog foods they make so far. Note the URL on this–abadysingpore:

Menhaden Fish Meal In Abady Dog Food

Robert Abady Dog Food Company

“Food that is outsourced is manufactured with Abady formulas.”

So there must be some production in Singapore.

What it looks like is that some suppliers secretly added melamine, some secretly added cyanuric acid, and some produced chemicals containing both melamine AND cyanuric acid to add to the proteins they were selling, in an effort to falsely boost protein content. The NYT article also talks about the sellers who cooked up a brew of both.

API’s pet food page has a list of major recalls-one of which might also be of interest given the report about Iams Large Breed Dry Dog Food:

“In 2000, Iams recalled 248,000 pounds of dry dog food distributed in 7 states due to excess DL-Methionine Amino Acid, a urinary acidifier.”

Hope anyone who finds fish meal in wet dog food will post the name & ingredient list here.

50. DMS says:

i may be interpreting this wrong, but after i saw a posting by menusux, i did a bit of research on biuret, which contains cyanuric acid and is fed to cows in US an China. Looks like it is an approved part of their diet. Little did we know. Now we like it, too.

Archer Daniel Midland on Biuret

Look who uses the most non protein nitrogen in the world

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All