Recall Update: Friday

Exclusive: Lab report says cyanuric acid found in unrecalled dry food.

To verify the lab’s report, Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.

If you find this unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If it’s the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

News Updates (11:48am Pacific):

Other News:

Check out our non-recall news below. And as always, we’ll keep covering all pet news.

P.S. Have questions? Need help? Try our ItchmoForums and get your questions answered by great pet owners.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

(Thansk to many reader tips)

136 Responses to “Recall Update: Friday”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

1. Debbie4747 says:

Helen, yes we’ve “can”ned Lorie’s “can” in a “can”. She was the “butt” of our jokes “briefly”. I wish I was online the other night. Looks like I missed a very good party! Maybe we can gety together later on tonight, LOL!

2. LorieVA says:

Debbie4747, Helen,

The BUTT of the jokes is off to look for IAMS 20lbs bags now. Will check in once I get home. Hopefully with good news.

3. YaYa says:

I can report No vomiting with the KumpiKat, altho Evy {the owner there} warns about it. She says, “just a “little bit” at first please”.

My little “cc” {crazy cat- a nickname } Loves it, but also expects her Wet which I make “homemade” for- the BRAT! LOL

4. YaYa says:

You better check-in LorieVA or we’ll worry boutcha being *in* the next can of Butts! LMBO

Business as Usual.

Feed and Pet Food

Vital Wheat Gluten
    Rice Protein Concentrate

Ya Ya, If you laugh your butt all the way off, Their Own Butt is always looking for new sources of protein…

7. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Me worried about Canidae again because it has herring meal in it. I’m thinking “fish meal”, “herring meal”??? Oh brother,,I switched from the lamb and rice to the all life stages because of the canola oil in the lamb and rice brand. Geez.

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

8. YaYa says:

WoW Maureen! You’ve done it Again! Excellent site and letting Us leave a Comment?! I’m There! LOL

I hope Everyone goes to it and does the same.
    *Please* read then Click on the links and follow the directions!
    {this is Too good to be True! LOL But it IS!}

Maureen’s post this thread at #39, 5-25-07 at 2:09pm

Let them know what You Think!

9. Tony says:

Free bag of Iams to the person who guesses what NEW BRAND of wet dog food launches in 3 months. (No, its not Iams) Need to guess the brand, not the company.

10. YaYa says:

Yep Helen! LOL I should have let Lorie choose which: Their Own Butts or Others Butts, Sorry!

By the time I’m done laughin’ over this “one”, I’ll have No “protein” left! Hehehehe

11. Golden Lover says:

Barb, GSD MOM Says:

May 25th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

I called Canidae about the herring meal they use. I asked them where they get there herring meal from. The lady assured me they catch it between Newfoundland and Britian. She also said they are testing. Also she said there cant be any contaimation because they use there own machines. I am still feeding the all life stages to my Golden. Lets hope they are being truthful!

12. Debbie4747 says:

I’ll be shopping after work at ShopRite in NJ. I will look for that elusive bag of IAMs dog food too.
    Meanwhile, I’ll be checking out Maureen’s site….sounds like it could be interesting!

13. HomeGrown says:

Well, I went upstairs to start the latest homemade batch of Finicky Feline Feast for my cat with Cattitude and low and behold she decided to try the Felidae again. (Didn’t get the bowl picked up in time) So far so good! Maybe she was so excited to have her crunchies back and ate too fast. I have always had one mainstay food and then occasionally gave them something different
    and never had a problem just putting down whatever was the flavor of the week. So this is good news! Still on watch though…..back to the kitchen.

YaYa, we might as well laugh now, because later on we will be making our usual outraged comments about whatever is getting recalled tonight. The suspense is killing me! Which one…which one will it be?…….

15. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Golden Lover:

Thanks for the feed back. I am still concerned about ANY dog food, but so far so good.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

16. YaYa says:

LOL Tony! That’s Baaaad :-P

A HEX upon Imas in this Household! {well, Any “commercial” pet food that is- Never again!}

Boy o Boy have there been a Ton of Pet food commecials on especially the news hour, the last couple of days!

Of course Purina is the Biggie doing it.

And Fancy Feast, is that Purina too?

17. Barb, GSD MOM says:

I told my Sister to try Innova Evo for her kitties. They would not eat the Felidae. Geezzz…kitties are finicky! So, if the Innova Evo is recalled I am in BIG trouble. She said “well, I should go back to feeding Purina Naturals”. (yuck)

Ok–next food to get recalled is IAMS.

YaYa, Fancy Feast is Purina. :P

I look up the pet food aisle every time I go in a grocery store now. Still no one there. :D

19. ally says:

Golden Lover,

Thanks from me as well. I’m about to switch from Canidae’s Chicken & Rice to the All Stage. My labs have been doing fine on the Canidae so I keep praying it remains on the safe list. I’m also mixing in home cooked and my dogs have been going nuts at mealtime.

20. YaYa says:

I’m Hoping it’s BOTH Proctor&Gamble’s IAMS AND ALL of Purina’s Total inventories in a Voluntary Recall tonite!

But think they are Both too Big for their britches. :-(

I doubt they will Ever own up to anything nor make it right with the Consumers.
    That would be The Best thing they could Ever do in the Interest of All Pets they make food for.

They could ‘maybe’ rise like a Phoenix then, but instead choose:
    Very Bad “PR” moves. imho

21. pat says:

i just had a look at the risk asssessment… what a piece of work this is. it decides, based on the sketchiest of data, that it’s ok for us to eat melamine and related compounds every day for our entire lives. it clears the way for melamine contamination to continue unabated. here’s the salient excerpt:

“Margins of Safety and Levels of Concern for Melamine Compounds
    The point of departure (POD) is the NOAEL of 63 mg/kg/day from the rodent subchronic bioassay. This POD was then divided by two 10-fold safety/uncertainty factors (SF/UF) to account for inter- and intra-species sensitivity, for a total SF/UF of 100. The resulting Tolerable Daily Intake (TDI) is 0.63 mg/kg bw/day. The TDI is defined as the estimated maximum amount of an agent to which individuals in a population may be exposed daily over their lifetimes without an appreciable health risk with respect to the endpoint from which the NOAEL is calculated.6″

no wonder it’s business as usual at chem nutra

excuse me while my head explodes

22. Sandy says:

The thing is I do not see on the site that they are testing for cyanuric acid…maybe my browser needs to be cleared but I see melamine and a vague other contaminates…until I SEE THE WORDS TESTED FOR CYANURIC ACID itself I am not as comfortable with their food as I was..I did email them again…we shall see if we see the words…..tested and testing for
    CYANURIC ACID not vague crap and melamine…OK I am off to score a bag of Iams for Itchmo

>> Natura is testing all of their food for melamine and cyanuric acid. >>>

23. Chuck says:

Whoa! wait a minuite. (my post 11:47a)
    I’m reading rave reviews here since my post about Canidae, Evanger’s, Kumpi, and so on, and that not many are having any problems for the most part, or so far.
    Looks like no one has bothered to read my post.

We learned the secrets about the recall pet food companies, but if we don’t bother to check out the secrets and ingredients in the new companies, then when are we going to become educated consumers?

Sure things seem fine now with the new brands, but has anybody else besides me checked out any important information in new brands? Or are some of us falling for more hype again?

1. Do you know who formulated those brands?

2. Do you know if the formulator has certified credentials or not?

3. Do you know exactly who and what their sources are?

4. Do you know who they might be in affiliated with as far as recalled foods by using their (former?) contaminated facilities, and they would be paying the very same manufacturers for facility usage that are responsible for the pet deaths?

5. The common pacifier now is “proprietary information,” aka, it’s none of our business to know. Pardon my skepticism, which I believe I have a right to at this point, but since the information is not provided, then how do we know if the recall pet food companies don’t have a hand in this?
    Sneakier things have been known to happen.

These are things I look for, and isn’t is odd that I can’t find the answers.

Here’s another example, I forget the “healthy’ brand right now (been around for a few years and not commercialized), but the website gave plenty of information about the three guys who started their pet food company, and went all around about how great their pet food is.
    Gave no breakdown of ingredients, nutrition, or inspection standards.

I’m at a total loss. Homemade pet foods are looking better and better.

24. robert says:

Merrick does not have their dry cat food on the market yet. was due out this spring but taking longer, was what they told me in an e-mail, They do answer your ??? takes a while, but they. I will be trying it when it is on mkt.

Rob

25. mittens says:

it would help if my cats liked merrick wet- and they don’t. inconsistant watery mess often. artemis was more consistant but they didn’t like that either. i leave out the evo dry and they no like.

im starting to think it is something like an addictive narcotic they’re putting in the more mass produced foods- theyre suppose to be crap and these fancy pants ones are made by virgin nuns somewhere with cdc level contamination protection and my cats think it’s gross and want the melamix.

maybe they should be testing for crack…our pets are junk food junkies.

26. YaYa says:

Steve, Luv the part on the ChemNutra site about Sally {Qing} Miller being {President} a “QA” Manager etc., she musta been on Vacation when the Nasty loads came in huh?

I’d LOVE to actually SEE her Credentials.
    {too bad WE didn’t benefit from such ‘credentials’}

And I imagine a “Lawyer” has plenty of Nutrition experience, working in places like Smith Barney etc.

{I couldn’t find her at the ISO- yada yada thingie or Any place else for that matter.}

Woman owned, Minority owned, huh. Ahhhhhh you get “breaks” for such companies. Look it up. Small Businesses, women, minorities etc.
    Catchy.

Only 4000 tons per year for Some items? How much went to MF for just {Vital} Wheat gluten?

Too bad they did not bring home a sample from China of junk/scrap whatever and Have it Tested BEFORE purchase. And Done it Again and Again AFTER it Arrived too. And maybe upon Sale too?

Isn’t “that” QA?????

But hey, I’m just a country gal.

Of course, These are simply my Own opinions on the Subject. {kan’t but help, the ‘kat’ swipes right now, Sor-ry}

27. Katie says:

menusux,

that is interesting about the recall in 2000 - reason being.. the old formulation of Eukanuba Sr Maint contained dl-methione and the new formulation contains; dl-methionine. I wonder why they changed back? I wonder what the symptoms were….

Katie

28. kellie says:

mittens,
    i’m in the same boat.
    they do kinda like the seafood flavors of merrick.
    they will nibble at the EVO wet, no luck with the dry unless i mix it with water making it wet food, they take a few bites of that.

they really like wellness wet but i have free samples coming from evangers so maybe they’ll like that. Felidae is hit or miss too, one can they’ll eat and not touch the next.

they did enjoy the solid gold tuna but the can is too big and they will not touch ANYTHING after it’s been opened and refrigerated.

i’m gonna look for some CN wet.

As for dry, my cats really liked the california natural chix flavor.
    you might want to try this since your cats seem to have the same tastes as mine.

29. kellie says:

does anyone know if kumpikat sends out samples?
    i’m not buying another full sized ANYTHING unless they like it first.
    I have bought and wasted or returned so much new food both wet and dry this month i’m exhausted.

i’d love to see if my kitties like this kind or not thugh since all you guys rave about it.

30. Mandy says:

I think all Purina foods should be sent off for testing. Don’t forget that Purina makes some treats too. Beggin Strips for dogs is made by Purina. My grandmother’s dog LOVES that treat, but she’s not giving him anymore of it!

In MY opinion, Purina is one of the worst companies in this whole mess. I’ve seen so many people say their cats got sick or died from eating Fancy Feast, or that they said their dogs got sick from eating Beneful.

The whole thing is outrageous. Purina only recalled some of it’s Alpo and Mighty Dog when it’s obvious the problem with the products is MUCH bigger.

We will NEVER use Purina products again.

31. YaYa says:

Kellie, I got the smallest {didn’t ask about samples sorry} which was 4Lbs. The next size was much larger, maybe 20?

My lil cat is PICKY too, and suprised the Heck out of me by chopping it right down.
    {she got only a tablespoon full at first}

It was 22.00 flat to ship to me Fed Ex ground manner.

The previous brand I tried my cat did Not like at all and it was 17.69+ tax, {locally bought} for only 2.2 Lbs. expensive!

You could call Evy if you’d like, to see about returning an opened bag and if she has Samples sizes.

303-693-6533 Denver

32. Amy says:

LOL Mittens! My thoughts exactly!

33. Gerry says:

cheetah-dog..Thanks for the info on the organic food. I dont know how we are suppose to know about any food any more. GMO seeds, organic produce from China, antifreeze toothpaste etc……it is enough to make you give up. Think I will go down and clean my clothes with a rock in the creek, spear a fish for dinner and pull up some grass [I mean the kind cows eat] for a side dish.

I am back from my search for IAMS went to 3 stores all are US61591 think that is the plant number that is sent to the east coast. So I probably won’t find it here. The closest date I saw was 7JUN08. DARN

35. ann says:

Someone said the bag came from the Denver area

36. mittens says:

kellie

i have had luck somewhat and i may have mentioned this before smearing human baby meat purees on top of the icky poo health food- veal, turkey, chicken and beef- they all go crazy for it and it comes in little jars so no waste, the plain meat ones are best and don’t use one with onions as cats are allergic to onions.

still they lick the baby food off the top but they are eating the artemis regularly and i am working through the merrick i bought slowly by mixing it with things they like. i don’t see where you can’t dump some baby food on dry food. i personally don’t like feeding dry food- only as a side dish for when i am not home. part of cats suseptability to urinary tract probelms is theyre not getting enough water and dry food adds to that problem although i understand many people only feed dry and don’t trust any wet. just my preference.

i also dump canned fish and the wiskas all fish packets on the top and they seem to like that fine. my cats have all made it over 20 years eating like this-4 i have now are pushing 20-pretty good for a cat and theyve gotten canned human tuna and purina poo for all of it. cats are particularly stubborn about these things when they’re pushing 100 in human years. im trying to ween them off 9 lives- just in case. i haven’t had any problems( some of my cats are monitored for hyperthyroid so we’re on top of any kidney problems) but i cannot trust these companies to do right in the event something has or did go wrong with their food.

37. YaYa says:

LOL mittens! Love the virgin nuns ’scene’ :-P

I notice that ChemNutra has “flavor enhancers” on their Web-site too that Steve posted above.

Wonder if that includes beef or fish, or poultry too?

{secret sauce, hold the mayo :-P }

38. pat says:

excellent editorial in the China Post today:

39. Barb, GSD MOM says:

Chuck–thanks for all the good info & questions we should ask the companies–but what good does it do? They lie..look at the Canidae website..geezzz..all they do is change the date and leave the same info on there.

40. mittens says:

uh… that’s not pureed human baby meat(!) but human baby food meat purees….oopsy! although as far as i know human babies just may be safe to feed your cats-not that anything else appears to be…but that would be breaking the law and we wouldn’t want to be sunk to the same moral level as menu foods…

i would NEVER suggest pureed CEO but someone just may want to test one for contaminates- just in case.

Mittens, re: “im starting to think it is something like an addictive narcotic they’re putting in the more mass produced foods”

The mystery ingredient may be phosphoric acid, which supposedly causes a tingly sensation on the tongue, which cat apparently like…a lot.

It is also in carbonated soft drinks.

“It was 22.00 flat to ship to me Fed Ex ground manner.”

YaYa, where are you located? It cost me that to have 50lbs of meat delivered same manner PA to NY.

43. DMS says:

There is an excellent blog from a fish nutritionist in Thailand on goldy’s blog horse’s-you know what. Anyway, i am not sure if it is legal form me to copy it here, but i just think it really speaks to the kind of personal integrity and knowledge of one’s field that it takes to do the job right. If this is illegal, Itchmo admin can delete it. But please take the time to look it up . If only our FDA/USDA were so conscientious. I don’t even think they know how to do the job.

Thomas Wilson says:
    I am a fish nutritionist working for a company in Thailand.
    My company produces both fish feed and shrimp feed for domestic aquaculture here.
    I am most concerned about feed quality and feed consistency, because this directly effects the results the farmer obtains when he uses our products.
    I rarely buy Chinese raw materials because I am looking for cheaper costs. I don’t trust the consistency and I most certainly don’t believe documents from Chinese suppliers, especially concerning heavy metals.
    Heavy metals are a serious problem in Chinese agricultural products. A meeting in China last year admitted that more than 12 million metric tons (US ton x 2.2) of Chinese cereals (wheat corn rice) are contaminated with heavy metals (lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic), and that more than 10% of Chinese farmland is polluted with heavy metals. The economic loss to China is huge, but the main driving force for change now is the rapidly increasing incidence of cancer in China.
    The question I ask myself, is — If I were Chinese and I knew that the agricultural products were unfit for human consumption, would I (1) destroy them, (2) feed them to people as if they were safe, (3) feed them to animals, or (4)export them?
    Your guess is as good as mine, but I think they would not be destroyed. My guess is they would lie about the levels of heavy metals in their documents, and (1) export them, or (2) feed them to animals. In any case, the heavy metals will probably enter the food chain somewhere.
    I unfortunately have to buy some materials from China, since for example, European supermarkets mostly want non-GMO ingredients in feed for shrimp that are to be exported to Europe. I can buy non-GMO corn gluten meal only from China.
    In some cases, factories in western countries have closed because they could not compete with Chinese prices, so it is getting harder to find non-Chinese sources of some raw materials.
    I installed equipment in my lab to check heavy metals, mainly to check Chinese raw materials. I thought this was the only thing I needed to worry about
    However, now we have the melamine problem in our hands in the USA (and also melamine in Chinese corn gluten meal in South Africa).
    We buy Chinese wheat gluten to use in shrimp feed, but I don’t think we would get caught the way the feed producers in the US were. The reason is we use wheat gluten to help to make shrimp feed stable in water for 2-3 hours. We test the gluten by washing it to remove all of the starch, knead it for a while, and measure the amount of water the gluten absorbs. If it doesn’t meet our standard, we don’t unload it from the truck. There is no way fake wheat gluten (wheat flour + 20% melamine) would pass this test.
    There is a certain amount of culpability in the US, because no one in the ingredients chain actually confirmed that the product was actually wheat gluten.
    The fake glycerol used in cough syrup in Panama that killed more than 100 people - which passed from the producer to a trader in Shanghai, another trader in Spain, another trader in Panama before it ended up in the government’s medicine factory was not checked by anyone to see whether it was actually glycerol. Why Not? Is it that there seems to be too much trust, or is it rather that testing everything is too much trouble and costs money.
    The USDA/FDA’s ALERT program is to remind food and feed producers that they should not forget they have substantial responsibility to ensure their raw materials and final products are safe.
    Today in USA Today, there is an article
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/ industries/food/2007-05-25-chi na-food-scandal_N.htm
    stating that Chinese officials said foreign companies are to blame for looking for cheaper and cheaper and cheaper raw materials. Well, in my opinion, the competitiveness of the food retail and food service industries in the and elsewhere partly to blame, driving prices down to attract customers.
    In the end all of us as consumers have to decide - when is cheap too cheap? While we are trying to make ends meet, and buying on low price, we are almost certainly going to be buying an imported product, and when do we start picking up undetected or hidden risks to our health and the health of our families (banned chemicals, chemical residues, heavy metals, filth etc.)
    Finally
    Thai Govt agencies, including the Livestock Dept. and Fisheries Dept, as well as the animal feed producers association are working full time to find a way to check raw materials here, are surveying all feed producers for the possibility that they could have been using melamine -contaminated raw materials.
    They (as well as everyone else around the world) are trying to find equipment to set up testing for melamine as soon as possible. They want to reassure customers overseas that Thai feed and products such as pork, chicken, fish and shrimp are safe. If you don’t want to buy Chinese (just like me) then I think buying Thai would be safer.
    Thailand signed a free trade agreement with China, and cheap Chinese vegetables are flooding in and killing off all of the local producers, but I told my wife to support Thai farmers. US citizens should do the same. Then the US trade imbalance with China would be history.
    Anyway, I cannot speak for the whole aquaculture industry here in Thailand, but certainly the part of the aquaculture industry I am aware of is very concerned about the quality and safety of the food we produce.
    Thanks for reading
    05/25/2007 at 2:26 am

it is found under the contaminated catfish article.

44. kellie says:

mittens,
    i feed wet 2 x a day and a bowl of dry stays down.

I was just suggesting the CN dry as an option for when you arent home.

my cats didnt like the baby food, i tried that, only one will eat people food or canned tuna.

After someone posted a possible Mars/menu/Doane foods link i’m not using anything from Mars either. In my opinion they are the other purina(the #2 grocery store big brand) and they own Royal Canin one of the foods that actually killed not just sickened alot of dogs.

straybaby, the $22 includes the price of the food.

46. YaYa says:

Ooooops! Straybaby! I need to clarify that! LOL

The 4Lbs of Food and Shipping Fed Ex ground was a Total of $22.00, all together total period! :-P

{I forget that flat is also a term for shiping costs!}

ah, OK! thanks!! I think my brain went on holiday! Duh!

48. Purina Puke says:

Has anyone heard of Purina being sued because of any of it’s products? It made my cat throw up. I’m just curious.

Chuck, those brands I listed as having offerred my cat…I don’t think any of them are poison now. If Purina or P&G bought one of them, I would stop feeding it immediately. I quit offerring the Merrick until I could find out more about the rendering plant, and am still not satisfied and not giving it right now. I don’t think the Merrick is unsafe, but that is my opinion after much research. Same with the others. I have not offerred any food without a lot of research, and just because I am willing to feed it right now doesn’t mean I won’t keep an eye on the company. You are absolutely right in your post. We can’t afford to let our guard down for a minute! Can’t with our own food either.

50. ann says:

I found this list that tells what is and isn’t good for dogs……

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All