(UPDATE) Food-safety news:
- Fight over the future of suspended “country-of-origin labeling” (COOL) law heats up.
- Meat recall expands — again. If you are preparing raw meat diets for your pets, please take extra care.
- China rejects US pistachio shipment due to ants — citing ecological threat to native species.
(ORIGINAL POST) Recall-Related News:
- NEW: Lab report says melamine detected in a sample of unrecalled Country Value Puppy formula.
- US blocks shipment (6th from bottom) from confirmed Chinese manufacturer of tainted wheat gluten.
- Have a question for the head of FDA’s veterinary team? Email it to Steve Dale.
- Don Earl compiles reports of acetaminophen and cyanuric acid found in pet food.
PetSmart Responds To Toxin News:
PetSmart responds to the lab report on acetaminophen in pet food. Says information is “not based on facts”. In our opinion, that’s strong language while the jury is still out on the subject. Read the full email to an Itchmo reader after the jump.
China says they have rejected US products that do not meet Chinese quality standards:
Inspectors in the ports of Ningbo and Shenzhen found bacteria and sulfur dioxide in products shipped by three American companies, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said.”
The products failed to meet the sanitary standards of China,” the agency said in a brief notice posted on its Web site. No details were given on when or how the inspections were conducted.
Testing Your Own Pet Food?
ItchmoForums passes the 1,000 registered user mark. Congrats to all our forum members!
P.S.: If you have site, please consider adding this badge. It goes directly to our concise recall page that is always kept up-to-date.
(Thanks to Offy, klondike and menusux)
PetSmart’s response on acetaminophen:
The information regarding the aecetominophen (sic) is not based on facts, at this time. We are investigating this story and have found nothing to substantiate these allocations at this time. PetSmart will make the right decision when the investigation is done. Thank you.
Product Care Specialist