Recall Update: Weekend Edition

(UPDATE) Food-safety news:

(ORIGINAL POST) Recall-Related News:

PetSmart Responds To Toxin News:

PetSmart responds to the lab report on acetaminophen in pet food. Says information is “not based on facts”. In our opinion, that’s strong language while the jury is still out on the subject. Read the full email to an Itchmo reader after the jump.

China says they have rejected US products that do not meet Chinese quality standards:

Inspectors in the ports of Ningbo and Shenzhen found bacteria and sulfur dioxide in products shipped by three American companies, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said.”

The products failed to meet the sanitary standards of China,” the agency said in a brief notice posted on its Web site. No details were given on when or how the inspections were conducted.

Testing Your Own Pet Food?

Here’s our guide to making sure your test results are as accurate and trustworthy as possible. Share your test results with other pet owners and coordinate testing in this thread in our forums.

ItchmoForums passes the 1,000 registered user mark. Congrats to all our forum members!

P.S.: If you have site, please consider adding this badge. It goes directly to our concise recall page that is always kept up-to-date.

Get The Latest Pet Food Recall Info

(Thanks to Offy, klondike and menusux)

PetSmart’s response on acetaminophen:

The information regarding the aecetominophen (sic) is not based on facts, at this time. We are investigating this story and have found nothing to substantiate these allocations at this time. PetSmart will make the right decision when the investigation is done. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Barany Chittenden
Product Care Specialist

117 Responses to “Recall Update: Weekend Edition”

1. DMS says:

Well, I just tried to email Nancy Pelosi to see if she is behind Durbin and DeLauro. I want to know why she isn’t speaking out and calling attention to the problem if she is behind them, since she is Speaker. Surprise, surprise, her mailbox is full and mail cannot be delivered. Somehow, I doubt it is full of food safety inquiries.
    I’m just not buying that Durbin and DeLauro are having so much trouble fighting big business. If they would take advantage of the media, they could get somewhere on this. Where I live, an educated middle-class neighborhood(no stereotypes intended, but it is a bit like Edward Scissorhands) hardly anyone knows or seems to care what is going on. It’s the land of ostriches sticking their heads in the sand. Florida. Maybe it’s flamingoes,Idon’t know anymore. Anyway, IF the pol’s would use the media, which they have access to, to tell the people how bad it really is, I think America would be even more interested than they are in Paris Hilton. I really do. So why aren’t Durbin, DeLauro, and Pelosi getting serious? There will never be a better time. Each new found contamination could only serve to strengthen their platform. Of course, there may be a better time, if things get worse.

2. KimS says:

Wow, to be turned down by China means the product must have been 1000% poo.

Don has another report from a pet owner:

The pet owner has reported lab findings of actetaminophen and cyanuric acid in Hill’s Science Diet Light Adult, a dry cat food.

Many thanks to Don for collecting this information.

4. kalija says:

More than likely there was nothing wrong with it. Its a threat meant to intimidate the US. “You keep blocking our products, we’ll start blocking yours”. Knowing the politicians who are supposed to protect our safety it will probably work since all they care about is money.

5. Leigh-Ann says:

OMG, “Barany Chittenden”’s spelling makes my eyes bleed! I loved his/her reference to unsubstantiated “allocations”. Maybe that’s their new red herring — Petsmart will be investigating “allocations” instead of “allegations”. That should prove fruitful :p

6. Sandra Alawine says:

Hi, How do you add the badge to your site?

Does anyone know what petfood they found the Tylenol in?

I don’t know what to feed my kittens and surviving cat. Thanks for a great site Itchmo

ITCHMO ADMIN: Here’s where you can find the code: http://www.itchmo.com/read/fig.....s_20070502

7. YaYa says:

Hi Sandra, I’d recommend making your own pet foods.
    They are plenty of references for recipes in the ItchmoForums. Just keep it simple and use a Crockpot.

Hopefully someone or *Itchmo Admin* will let you know about the Badge application today.

8. Rick says:

Sandra Alawine Says
    Does anyone know what petfood they found the acetaminophen in?

some of the foods are talked about here–http://www.petfoodrecallfacts.com/lab.html

As for Petsmart, they sound like some polticians these days–even when hit in the face with the facts–which lab reports are–they STILL deny. I stopped shopping there a while back. All they push is Hells Science Diet & Eukanuba.

9. Rick says:

USDA may relax standards for organic foods
    The agency is considering a list of 38 nonorganic spices, colorings and other ingredients that would be allowed in products it deems ‘organic.’

With the “USDA organic” seal stamped on its label, Anheuser-Busch calls its Wild Hop Lager “the perfect organic experience.”

“In today’s world of artificial flavors, preservatives and factory farming, knowing what goes into what you eat and drink can just about drive you crazy,” the Wild Hop website says. “That’s why we have decided to go back to basics and do things the way they were meant to be … naturally.”

But many beer drinkers may not know that Anheuser-Busch has the organic blessing from federal regulators even though Wild Hop Lager uses hops grown with chemical fertilizers and sprayed with pesticides.

From LA Times-http://www.latimes.com/news/la-fi-organic9jun09,0,4944942.story?coll=la-tot-topstories&track=ntothtml

Um, wasn’t at least one of the positive for acetaminophen samples submitted by a manufacturer? Just because a lab is honoring their confidentiality agreement doesn’t make it untrue . . . imo.

Oh, yeah, forgot about PetSmarts connection. Masterfoods isn’t it? Makes one wonder about that there sample ;)

11. HomeGrown says:

The USDA Stamp is about as reliable as FDA Approved. Betcha all the recent Beef that was recalled had the USDA Stamp of Approval.

12. HomeGrown says:

Rick Says:

June 9th, 2007 at 9:12 am
    “Wow, Bush & Co. just won’t stop until everything is just completely wrecked & unsafe. This administration has brought us the era of “call it what it’s NOT”–the “clean air” act, the “no child left behind” act–and now, “organic”…”

I totally agree, he can’t get out of office fast enough for me.

13. Elaine says:

Homegrown,

Well, yes, it did have the USDA stamp on it, even though each pound of hamburger may have beef from many countries in that one pound! None of it actually inspected, and much of it from countries with cleanliness standards well below the U.S.

A few years ago they found kangaroo meat in boxed beef from Australia.

The Big 4 meatpackers are fighting Country of Origin Labeling because they buy cheap beef from other countries and pass it off as U.S. beef because most people don’t realize the USDA stamp does not mean it is U.S. beef, OR that it has been inspected!

14. HomeGrown says:

Elaine

Yeah, it’s a sad state of affairs all around.

15. HomeGrown says:

Please look around at this website. LOTS of info.

Also, breed specific diets!

16. e wem says:

Elaine - thanks I didn’t know about the meatpackers.

Country of origin is what I want. The FDA and Dept of Ag can never inspect or test all food. But if I have country of origin, I can decide my own risk.

I am so sick of ‘Distributed by’

They should change that phrse to ‘Distributor Lie’
    because they use that phrase to completely hide where the product originated.

I didn’t know Master Foods was related to Pet Smart. That explains too much. They are churning out pet food labels so fast I cant keep up

I am tired of being smashed from all sides from giant interests who want to force feed me their junk

17. Rick says:

HomeGrown-

good links-thanks. Also liked the Kraftyfoods link in another thread!

On the topic of labeling, can we even count anymore how many pet foods have the word “natural” somewhere on the bag–even though it may be only a small percentage natural? If anyone remembers in the 80’s when Almay came out using the word “hypoallergenic” for their cosmetics–now almost every makeup line has the word somewhere on the label–and it means NOTHING anymore. The same is happening to “natural” and next it’s “organic”…all in the name of $$$$$$$$$

18. Elaine says:

E wem

I’m in agreement with your statement about distributed by!

I just went to some of the pet food websites recommended to check out their ingredients, and NONE of them stated they did not have imported ingredients in them, so I won”t try them.

If you are feeding home cooked for your pets, a good source of meat products can be found at www.ranchfooddirect.com . They also sell grass fed beef, buffalo, chicken, etc., and I think their ground beef is quite a bit less expensive than what you said you paid on the other thread on Itchmo.

Don’t forget there is one thing to keep in mind. The Rubber Stamp GOP Congress ended lasted Nov. It’s a start. Putting on the breaks works.

Roll Call reported this week that Republican lobbyists aren’t sure how to get anything done in a Democratic Congress.

Several Democratic and Republican lobbyists agreed GOP consultants often get it wrong with Democrats because their corporate pitch is such an easy sell in Republican offices, which already are ideologically sympathetic to businesses’ concerns.

Meeting with Democrats, some Republicans neglect to factor in a much wider array of constituencies that hold sway with the new majority, including labor, environmental and consumer groups.

“Republican lobbyists are used to walking into an office and just saying, ‘I’d like you to do this,’” said one Republican operative who regularly lobbies across the aisle. “With Democrats, you really have to hone your arguments, and you really have to sell them on policy.” (emphasis added)

Before Nov 06, corporate lobbyists had it easy. Their clients had a wish list, and the GOP majority was anxious to deliver. Now these lobbyists are finding that when they ask the Democratic majority to do something, those darned liberals want reasons. They ask pesky questions, such as, “Why?”

No matter how frustrated we may get with congressional Dems, it’s worth remembering that when it comes to running Congress, there is a difference between a Democratic majority and a Republican one.

(Source. . . .Benen @ 5:04 AM - PDT)

20. Guardian956 says:

Turned down by China? And this means WHAT to us?
    Why, use our OWN products instead of importing THEIR chit…how silly of me to think of this…and millions of others!!

Ok…sarcasm fit over now.

*lights another cig and sips on mela-free coffee*

21. HomeGrown says:

Rick

My list of non-purchase foods list is getting quite long. lol And on the use of the words “Natural” and “Organic” I totally agree. I have noticed a few of the Pet Food Companies (including some of companies who have recalled others) have started putting in a “Natural” Pet Food. I shake my head and laugh. Too little, too late for me.

22. HomeGrown says:

Elaine

“Distributed By” only means “Don’t Buy” to me.

23. Ann H says:

Another illegal import from Taiwan brings a very nasty critter with it… way to go US GOV! 2001?

Hey, song time- name that tune: “how long has this been going on…”

HONOLULU — A pest with a nasty sting has turned up at a nursery on Oahu, state agriculture officials said.

The stinging nettle caterpillar first turned up in Hilo in 2001, officials said. It came through an illegal shipment of seedlings from Taiwan, according to officials.

24. Elaine says:

Homegrown,

Very true! I have been having an ongoing battle with the produce department in my store. I ask them what country? And they answer with the ‘distributed by’ on the label.

I make them go look ON THE BOX the produce comes in. They don’t like it, but it’s their job and I am tired of being conned and schmoozed!

25. Rose says:

The FDA refusal actions was an interesting read. Poison wheat, unapproved rice powder, medical items! Wonder if that would make people think twice about any surgery they have for themselves and pets.

Did anyone else catch the FDA rejected breast implants? Patient to plastic surgeon, now are you sure it’s just silocne in those implants, can you prove where they’re made and with what? If our dieing and dead pets didn’t get everyone attention as it should have, maybe (potentially) toxic inported breast implants will.

has anyone seen this article about the teenage who died from over use of sports creme this is pretty scary mom doesn’t believe an over the counter item could cause a death.

27. DMS says:

Steve Says:

June 9th, 2007 at 10:48 am

============

We’ll see, Steve. I wouldn’t hold my breath. It took them all of 3 days to cave on the war funding without timelines. They are a pretty staunch bunch!!! Lots of talk…….

28. FedUp says:

We let in illegal immigrants. We let in crappy food supply. We let in insects. We let in disease. Hey, don’t upset anyone and make sure all those other countries like us. Someone better upset the damn melapple cart thats full of stinging insects or this country is hosed.

29. Amy says:

Lorie - Good article, here’s another one, little kids are getting drunk off hand sanitizer, and it could kill them if they ingest enough. So, once again, a product that’s supposed to make us safe by protecting us from germs, could actually kill us. Good job, Corporate America. For the record, I never use these hand gels just like I rarely take an antibiotic, as I believe it weakens your ability to fight off infections and it is thought that all of these ‘preventative’ measures will actually result in a strain of superviruses that will someday kills us all. But of course the corporate giants want to play on immediate fears - cold & flu - and not think about what they’re doing to our long-term health.

Amy Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Drunk on hand sanitizer. I must be living in a bubble; hadn’t heard that one. There was a hand sanitizer product that was on the FDA refusal list in May.

31. 3FURS says:

People who are home-cooking for dogs , should go to the site re Breed Specific food needs. HomeGrown provided it in her post at 10:13 am today. Also read the related articles there. Some very informative facts there, the example that Chow Chows were bred as a human meat source and can’t digest many meats. Dogs best digest what their forefathers ate, just the same as with human digestion. Thank you HomeGrown.

3FURS Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 1:51 pm

another good source is breed specific yahoo groups and other lists. I’m on the Yahoo Raw 4 Dals list because they do have specific needs. Also on a few other Dal specific lists. Great for exchanging info on more than just nutrition. There are also some very good general canine/feline feeding groups on Yahoo which are grat for support and a wider range of opinions/feeding options.

33. E. Hamilton says:

Join the Alice Army in the forums.
    Link is there for filing FCC complaints.
    And here it is right handy for ya- http://tinyurl.com/gc48v

You do not have to beg the media to cover this important issue, begging for the last 3 months has gotten diddly done.

Get up off your knees and let the bastids have it!

Every single TV station that blew off the citizens who begged for this to get coverage needs to get a complaint, several people complaining for that station would be nice.
    Next there will be challenges to the renewal of the stations

34. Susan says:

You go E. WHO LOVES YA?

35. HomeGrown says:

3Furs

You’re quite welcome! I like someone with integrity as he seems to have. If you look around at his site he cuts right through the crap to get to the heart of the matter.

36. E. Hamilton says:

Get the FCC complaints going, spread the word to other pet sites and blogs.

And we are having a FRIDAY SURPRISE PARTY!

And this Friday you will LIKE what is gonna happen.

Info will be posted on the Alice Army thread.

The Alice Army features no pay, no health coverage and no saluting.
    It is, however, going to be a lot better than begging and tons more fun.

37. JanC says:

E….I want to be part of the Friday surprise party…..oh goody, I love parties. Earlier, I said I wanted to join EPPB (E’s Pet Parent Brigade)…..you have such great ideas & you call ‘em like you see ‘em…….love that.

Can’t find anything on the forum…..are you talking about HERE? I even did a search & can’t come up with anything. Pls advise…..thanks.

38. E. Hamilton says:

Thread is in the make a difference area here, called it the Alice Army because of the song and this is for doing things other than begging, which offends me, does not get results and makes pet parents look like needy beggars!

Fooey on that!!

Over half the nation has pets, they need to know how bad this situation is, we are going to tell them.

And we are going to have fun too!

39. HomeGrown says:

I think that with everything going on if I was this teens mother I would be sending that cream to a lab to find out what’s in it.

Muscle Cream Caused NYC Teen’s Death

40. HomeGrown says:

I’m with you E.! Going to the Forum now.

Associated Press - June 9, 2007 4:54 PM ET

BEIJING (AP) - China says it has rejected a shipment of pistachios from California because it contained ants.

A state television report today showed inspectors wearing face masks and sealing the shipping container that held the pistachios.

The nuts appeared to originate from Cal-Pure Pistachios based in Lost Hills.

42. Maureen says:

Saturday: BIG Ground beef recall/possible E. coli: 5.7 million pounds

Recall Release CLASS I RECALL
    (…)
    WASHINGTON, June 9, 2007 - United Food Group, LLC, a Vernon, Calif., establishment, is voluntarily expanding its June 3 and 6 recalls to include a total of approximately 5.7 million pounds of both fresh and frozen ground beef products produced between April 6 and April 20 because they may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture�s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today.
    (…) these products could be in consumers’ freezers and it is important that consumers look for and return these products if they find them.

The fresh and frozen ground beef products subject to recall were produced between April 6 and April 20 and were shipped to retail stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
    (…)

43. Ann H says:

File at the FTC for consumer issues too - like truth in advertising complaints, consumer protection - how much did that “safe” food cost you. Pet got sick/dued after menu or brandx pet food said safe.. deceptive advertising.
    Rules of the Road - info on the FTC complaints

File a complaint on this link:

Maureen Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 5:58 pm

wow, that’s alotta beef! ’specially when you add in the Texas recall!

Is this the same as the Mid-West one?

Beef is the new Pet Food Recall? perhaps?

45. YaYa says:

MORE BEEF RECALLED Today- 5.7 MILLION pounds- BOING!

{it’s grown into a monster with people sick now}

This one goes with the Recall from about a week and a half ago in stores like Albertson’s etc. Please Read:

Please check it out if you are making Homemade with beef. Or having yor own burgers etc.

Ann H good idea!
    safe.. deceptive advertising.
    Rules of the Road - info on the FTC complaints

File a complaint on this link:

47. Maureen says:

The beef recall above is an extension of the same company’s June 3rd recall of beef for suspected E. coli comtamination (75,000 lbs).

These two recalls mean approximately 1,500,000 men, women, children and elderly people could have eating hamburgers using this beef. By the time this second recall came out today, the expiration date should have expired, so people either ate it or have it in their freezers.

Aren’t these processing plants (assuming they were processed in the U.S.) inspected by USDA? This is very scary stuff.

48. Maureen says:

Maureen Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Oops. Bad math. The beef recall means that approximately 15,000,000 MILLION PEOPLE each could have eaten a hamburger made of this recalled beef.

49. randy says:

Associated Press - June 9, 2007 4:54 PM ET

I guess the ants have decided the pistachios would be safer than getting into a bag of pet food!

50. Maureen says:

The featured story on MSNBC.com home page has the recalled beef story:

According to the MSNBC story: “The grocery stores affected included Albertson’s, Basha’s, Grocery Outlet, Fry’s, “R” Ranch Markets, Save-A-Lot, Save-Mart, Scolari’s Wholesale Markets, Smart and Final, Smith’s, Stater Bros., Superior Warehouse and Trader Joe’s.”

Again, here’s the USDA’s prs. release with all the recall locations:

ok, is this beef recall number 2 or 3?!

not in terms of expanding, but in terms of manufacturer product.

we have this one and the Texas one (tyson natural beef) for sure. but is the one in the midwest the same as the current one, or was that a sep one? if so, can someone supply me links so i can do one email with all 3 recalls?

thanks in advance!

52. HomeGrown says:

I thought this quite applicable to the times today and have included at the bottom of some of my letters to my elected officials. Not that they give one hoot, but it makes me feel better somehow to bring it to their attention.

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country…corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war.”

President Abraham Lincoln

53. Maureen says:

Straybaby: This is the link. this June 9 “California firm” recall (5.7M lbs.) is an extension of the same company’s June 3 recall (75k lbs).

This site has links to all these press releases announcing recalls, etc.

You’ll be able to get links to these from June:
    June

* California Firm Expands Recall of Ground Beef for Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination (Jun 9, 2007)
    * Texas Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination (Jun 8, 2007)
    * California Firm Expands Recall of Ground Beef for Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination (Jun 6, 2007)
    * New York Firm Recalls Chicken Products For Possible Listeria Contamination (Jun 5, 2007)
    * Codex Seeks Comments on Sanitary and Phytosanitary International Standard-Setting Activities (Jun 4, 2007)
    * California Firm Recalls Ground Beef for Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination (Jun 3, 2007)

54. Trudy Jackson says:

Homegrown, what a great idea. and it sure is the truth today just as was then,.I think I feel very anxious. My body is acting crazy, because of the stress. You did a good thing to send the letters. Yeah.

55. Trudy Jackson says:

The weired things is- I just told my husband that We keep doing things We say we’ll never do again. After WW2 We said, never again will there be a Genocide-Now look. After Veitnam, We said never again will We do this- and now look. How dumb can a country be that does things over and over? We may up destroying ourselves.

56. petslave says:

Elaine–have you used the ranch direct meats? The ground meats for pets are a great price, but I’m wondering about quality, fats, etc. It would be nice to feed buffalo occasionally & this is really cheap (just don’t want cheap to truly mean cheap in this case)

57. E. Hamilton says:

Ann H and Home Grown, you two are faboo!

58. Trudy Jackson says:

My leter is still not on the Consumer Report yet!

59. Lorna says:

Ground beef - for those who feed raw(that’s me) it’s a good idea not to use ground beef from the store unless you really trust the butcher/equipment.
    You can grind meat at home yourself to be sure of its quality.Or if you are putting meals together just before they are fed you can add the chunks of meat to the other ingredients.That’s good for the dog’/cats’ teeth anyway.

Lorna

Maureen Says:
    June 9th, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Maureen!! You would think I would know at this point to check the gov site!! lol!~ I think they’ve officially scrambled my brains!

*goes back to blending chocolate and raspberries. working on the prefect ice cream mix!*

“When your seat is so safe that you’re not concerned about perception, you become too wedded to Washington and you lose touch with your constituency, and you lose touch with your real purpose” . . . . Political strategist

Well, Americans are going to remind you what your real purpose is.

That you can count on.

62. Elaine says:

Petslave,

I haven’t used the Ranch Direct meat for pets, I have my own beef we raise. But somebody sent us some steaks as a gift, and they were really good!

I had just noticed on the website that the pet meat was a good price, so I thought it would be good to post.

In our area we have a local U.S. grass fed beef outlet, and every now and then they have really good sales on ground beef, and I think it is because so many people don’t cook roasts or stew and order more steak so the ground beef is really good quality, like ground round and less than 2$ a pound.

I would say to call them and ask, or order a small amount and then you would know.

63. Elaine says:

Lorna,

The store that receives the meat is not at fault. The local grocery store in my area gets boxed beef from Canada.

64. Cynthia says:

TELL CONGRESS WE WANT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELS ON OUR FOOD
    GO TO: http://www.democracyinaction.o....._KEY=11257

This form will send the letter to your Representative and to both of your Senators.

Concerns over long distance food transportation (food miles) and global warming, compounded by recent food poisoning scandals, linked to contaminated pet, poultry, and pig food ingredients from China, have taken away many Americans’ appetites for cheap imported foods. Shocked at media reports that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is inspecting approximately one-percent of all imported food, health-minded consumers are demanding that Congress implement mandatory Country of Origin Labels (COOL) labels on food. Federal farm policy theoretically requires Country of Origin Labeling for food. Reacting to polls indicating that 80% of American consumers want to know where their food is coming from, Congress incorporated COOL into the 2002 Farm Bill. COOL was supposed to go into effect in September 2004. Unfortunately, corporate agribusiness, Wal-Mart, and the supermarket chains bribed an ethically-impaired Congress with millions of dollars to block implementation of COOL labels. As a result, Americans are buying billions of dollars of imported foods without knowing it. In order to promote health and sustainability, and to save North American family farms, we need to restore our right to know where our food is coming from. Tell Congress we want Country of Origin Labels for both conventional and organic food, and we want it now:

STOP THE U.S. TRADE PROMOTION AUTHORITY ACT BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE
    Fast Track – the outdated, outrageous law that Richard Nixon cooked up to take away Congress’ constitutional authority over trade policy
    – is expiring on June 30, 2007.

Surprise, surprise. President Bush wants Congress to hand him a blank check of more Fast Track so he can do more of the same NAFTA-style deals for his big corporate buddies.

With Fast Track expiring, we have a once-in-a-decade opportunity to fix the current devastating rules of the global economy — and your voice is the only way to make a real difference!

GO TO:http://action.citizen.org/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=6751

Use the form on this web site to let your representatives know that you absolutely oppose any more Fast Track, and that it must be replaced with a better system that will help us create fair trade agreements.

More resources to stop Fast Track…

65. Ann H says:

What pet owners learned the hard way:

INFORMATION FOR CONSUMERS
    FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
    CENTER FOR VETERINARY MEDICINE

INTERPRETING PET FOOD LABELS
    (excerpts)

Other Label Claims

Many pet foods are labeled as “premium,” and some now are “super premium” and even “ultra premium.” Other products are touted as “gourmet” items. Products labeled as premium or gourmet are not required to contain any different or higher quality ingredients, nor are they held up to any higher nutritional standards than are any other complete and balanced products.

Summary

Pet owners and veterinary professionals have a right to know what they are feeding their animals. The pet food label contains a wealth of information, if one knows how to read it. Do not be swayed by the many marketing gimmicks or eye-catching claims. If there is a question about the product, contact the manufacturer or ask an appropriate regulatory agency.

**If you have questions about your pet food, call your State Agriculture Dept and see if they have tested the foods in their feed programs. **

Some states, like Kentucky, have their Commercial Feed Bulletins online. Kentucky’s 2006 bulletin is due to be posted later this year.

Georgia, on the other hand, has no online documents and per the Agriculture department “few pet foods” are in the test results- and the reports are available to you if you go to their offices.

Individual states right now seem to be the first line of “regulation” for pet foods.

Get your Agriculture Departments involved in resolving this!

66. Lorna says:

Hi Elaine,

“Most grocery stores that cut meat and grind meat receive the meat in big boxes that come from packing plants. I would ask, if I was you, what it is they grind into hamburger. ”

Well,that,too.I just won’t buy any of it ground.

“One thing you need to remember is that in the case of e coli, the contamination occured at the slaughter facility, because the e coli is in the gut and the carcass wasn’t cleaned properly.

The store that receives the meat is not at fault. ”

I wouldn’t go that far but we don’t have to agree.

Lorna

67. JanC says:

I’m not sure all grocery stores will do this but a friend of mine (who lives in the boonies & can’t get to the store all that often) picks out a few steaks & asks the butcher to grind them up. She refuses to buy already ground beef. I keep meaning to ask at my grocery store to see if they’ll do that for me. I like that idea so much more. At least you know what’s in it.

I found this at Pet Connection & feel it’s very appropriate:

#

“I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”

Thomas Jefferson

Comment by MFEMFEM — June 9, 2007 @ 8:49 pm

#

Boy oh boy, still true today as it was back then, maybe moreso…..

68. Lorna says:

Canada’s national radio,CBC,had an interesting program just now.(maybe Serius 137 in N.A.?)
    They are FINALLY talking about THOUSANDS of pets who died because of the food.The main discussion was ‘Eating Chinese’ and the problems with importing foods,inspections,COOL and so on.
    Interesting information from Wenran Jiang , the director of the China Institute at the University of Alberta. “He keeps a close watch on the Chinese economy, and its implications for global politics.”
    I lost it when Paul Mayers , the Executive Director of the Animal Products Directorate of the CFIA(Canadian Food Inspection Agency) made it clear that you don’t want to “confuse the consumer” by mentioning all countries involved in the product on the label.It’s complicated,he said.
    Poor *customers* are always so easily confused,aren’t we?
    Or could it have something to do with the food lobby in Ottawa ? The anti-COOL dudes who want to do whatever they want with our food.

Lorna

69. HomeGrown says:

Lorna Says:

June 10th, 2007 at 10:33 am

“Paul Mayers , the Executive Director of the Animal Products Directorate of the CFIA(Canadian Food Inspection Agency) made it clear that you don’t want to “confuse the consumer” by mentioning all countries involved in the product on the label. It’s complicated,he said.”

Well let me be the first to “uncomplicate” it.

IF IT DON’T SAY….I DON’T PAY!

70. HomeGrown says:

Oh and here is a link from Pet Connection I think. We already have a law passed regarding COOL! But the big boys keep suspending it. Are laws worth the paper they are printed on?

By Stephen J. Hedges
    Washington Bureau
    Published June 10, 2007

“WASHINGTON — Amid concerns about the safety of pet food ingredients and catfish from China, consumers and even a few members of Congress are wondering why there isn’t a law that requires merchants to label where food comes from.”

“The short answer: There is. And there has been since 2002.”

71. Susan says:

You know, how is it confusing to find out where ingredients come from? I love how these clowns look at us.

Wonder if they will claim the rat was an import:

Rat bites girl at Chinese Mcdonald`s
    Zeenews.com June 10, 2007

“US fast food giant Mcdonald`s was forced to pay compensation to a student who was bitten by a rat at one of its outlets in northeast China.

“The girl was bitten at a Mcdonald`s restaurant in the province of Liaoning, the Beijing Morning Post said.

“The incident happened last December and the court case was heard in April, but has only now come to light amid a growing trade dispute between China and the United States over tainted food and health products.

“A container of nearly two tons of pistachios was turned back at a port in Guangdong province due to dangers the termites posed to the local environment and to the insect`s propensity to breed quickly, the paper said.”

And now the ants have become termites. They forget about the insects which were inadvertently imported from China a few years ago which have devastated the older tree population in some cities and suburbs.

Import inspections stress FDA resources
    NJ Star-Ledger June 10, 2007

“Janet Woodcock, the FDA’s chief medical officer, said the agency is equipped to inspect less than 1 percent of all products imported into the country. It also lacks the resources to adequately inspect production and processing facilities overseas, she said, and in many cases must deal with developing nations whose food, drug and device laws are lacking.

“”There has been an explosion of imports,” Woodcock said in an interview last week. “The world has globalized and all this stuff is coming in from outside the United States, but the regulations and procedures we have in place really did not contemplate this change.”

“”Our ability to inspect all the production facilities outside the United States or monitor clinical trials or the manufacture of medical products is very limited,” she said. “Are we concerned? Yes, we are concerned about this. We see this trend increasing.”

“The FDA said it will inspect only 0.7 percent of the estimated 16.3 million shipments it regulates that will come across the borders and into American ports this year from more than 230 countries.

“William Hubbard, a former FDA deputy commissioner, said food imports including fruits, vegetables, grains, fish, food ingredients and packaged foods have grown exponentially, accounting for more than half of all foreign FDA-regulated products coming to the United States.”

So until someone in the Beltway actually DOES something about it, we can continue to expect disasters to happen.

73. Elaine says:

Lorna,

To clarify my statement that the grocery store isn’t at fault: I am not excusing unsanitary conditions in grocery store meat markets—I am just saying that IF they make hamburger from trimmings that came in a box from the packing plant, the e coli contaminated meat was already there.

It could only be a small portion that is contaminated, but grinding and mixing it with the rest of the trimmings in the box disperses the e coli throughout the hamburger.

In the case of the recent meat recalls, SOMEBODY, like maybe the USDA, should be following the meat back to the source packing plant and inspecting their processing procedures. This is where the source of the problem is, and it needs to be corrected.

The USDA HAACP program, Hazard Analysis and Control Policy (? I am not sure if I got that right,) relies on PAPERWORK, and is the same thing as the FDA saying they have limited resources so they only look where their risk analysis says there may be a problem!

Unfortunately, they do not want to find the big packing plants as the source of the problem.

74. HomeGrown says:

Uh oh, sorry Itchmo! The link above to the Chicago Tribune Article was not at Pet Connection, I saw it HERE. I look at so much I got confused. Just wanted to give credit where credit was due. I love both sites.

75. Susan says:

According to the USDA, it’s our fault when we get sick and die from E. coli:

“Consumers should only eat ground beef patties that have been cooked to a safe temperature of 160 °F. When a ground beef patty is cooked to 160 °F throughout, it can be safe and juicy, regardless of color. The only way to be sure a ground beef patty is cooked to a high enough temperature to kill harmful bacteria is to use an accurate food thermometer. Color is not a reliable indicator that ground beef patties have been cooked to a temperature high enough to kill harmful bacteria such as E. coli O157:H7. Eating a pink or red ground beef patty without first verifying that the safe temperature of 160 °F has been reached is a significant risk factor for foodborne illness. Thermometer use to ensure proper cooking temperature is especially important for those who cook or serve ground beef patties to people most at risk for foodborne illness because E. coli O157:H7 can lead to serious illness or even death. Those most at risk include young children, seniors, and those with compromised immune systems.”

76. E. Hamilton says:

Wanna do a little something today troops?

There is STILL poison on the store shelves. Still sickening and killing.

Go get a Digg account here- http://digg.com/
    free and easy

and then vote for this story -http://tinyurl.com/2hwmpg
    so more people will see it.

77. E. Hamilton says:

And the writer of the story , who can be contacted by an email at the bottom of the article, might like to know that we appreciate the coverage.

And maybe she could pass on to the poor people who have the sick cat that Iams is lying through their teeth.

78. Debbie4747 says:

I’m not sure if this has been posted before, but regarding organic foods, this kinda sucks

79. Black Lab Owner says:

Re: The Chicago Tribune story

Did you notice that there is no one quoted whose sole reason for speaking is that he or she eats food? Has a family? Has pets? Has a conscience?

This article states that the Country of Origin Labeling met with “a cool reception.” This only applies to the suppliers, manufacturers and serial food poisoners who wish to continue with business as usual.

There are absolutely no “man on the street” interviews or polling data cited as to actual support from the U.S. public for these labels. While they are at it, they should be polling those in foreign markets who will be receiving these processed foods or raw materials as imports.

The support for this labeling from U.S. citizens is overwhelming. Lazy reporting. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

80. YaYa says:

They used to tell the Publc if you want to do your best to avoid meat being contaminated, pick meat that’s been “touched” the Least. Whether by human or Machine.
    {not cleaning all those machines too well are they, after not cleaning/carving the carcass Good!}

Now days that’s Impossible. Unless like some have said you grind your own at home.
    These boxed and shipped across the country packed meats go though so many things to get to the store shelves.

The Local Butcher looks better and better and so does buying a Side or even a quarter of beef.
    Having it cut or Ground to your specs. and maybe renting a meat locker {even split the expense and side/whole or quarter} with family or friends} is a Good way to go. imho

Someone mentioned Ranch meats from somewhere? Can ya post that URL again?
    {I’d like to check out the buffalo, it sure taste good and pretty sure they don’t have THAT in China or anywhere else! :-D }
    Maybe it was Elaine?

Also on the Story of ChineseGov Rejecting things on us now, in their tit-for-tat games.
    I found a story that has the FDA Comments and some replies- more coverage than the story at the top.

I Juuuust Luv the way Acheson is determined to find out WHY, these things have been rejected by China’s QA and quarrentine sector.

Wished he’d be THAT interested in OUR Food coming IN and being SERVED!
    I could not Believe how “interested” he is in this “problem”.

All this over our 1% inspected and small % rejection rate???????????????
    Give me a Break China!

{the China Gov. sure seems to have their Own money and peoplepower enough to Inspect what’s going INTO China- How bout they do the Same for What they Ship TO Us and OUT?!}

One thing for Sure: WE are making WAVES across the Seas and we Should Keep It UP!

{they don’t Get-it that, in This country they have a Harder time shutting US Up! I’m sure that’s a Shock :-P }

Let’s keep rocking the “BOATS”!

I think it’s Better for both Countries citizens in the long run!

Just my opinions :-)

81. Trudy Jackson says:

Why in the world would China be worried about our food, after what they eat!! there’s no way. They just want to show-off. Big deal, We won’t stop this fight until our food is right.

82. HomeGrown says:

Yeah, not like any of us are scrambling to get Chinese imports. In fact just the opposite is true. China sending imports back to US, just helps us imo. Force our companies to step up a little also. As we have learned this isn’t all about imports from China. I think it is about corporations and flat out greed without consideration of human or animal life. I, for one, hope they choke on their money.

83. Trudy Jackson says:

Homefrown- You said it! I say it too.

84. Trudy Jackson says:

Sorry I spelled it wrong. I need a nap,

85. YaYa says:

LOL Trudy :-)

I Do agree Homegrown, but I also think that, there is a current from China that they Want, to Export their Toxic Waste.

In the Article is states the Chinese Gov said they destroy Some and will send Back the rest.
    No skin off my nose if they do either.
    I Want Our Products to Stay here. THEY just do Not get that. DUH.

And I know there are some unscrupulous US companies, but I still think, pound for pound the odds lean heavy towards China exports being or having an Issue.

We also do Not have the Water alone {as just one example} pollutions, alot of these products come in contact with, along their way to us through China.
    {that’s just one concern}

For me, I’m sure Our country is ‘cleaner’ than China.
    As bad as things might be Here for thstype issue, I’m sure as heck glad I’m not Under China’s Gov. for Any reason.

I hope the Citizens of Both countries Benefit from Our Voices here.

China jumped into this Export business on a Grand scale Way before it knew how or has even set up for. They just Crank it out.
    If we don’t want this to grow worse and want to stop it as it is, make tings Better, we need to Keep-up on Both, the US and China To bend to Our will and Clean up their acts. {or we’ll all be sick or dead!}

{I also don’t think they/either should keep their citizens in the Dark, period}

{I’m Furious as Always with Acheson’s “concern”, but even more that he’s bent out of shape over China’s tit-for-tat!!!!!!!! }

I notice in some of the Osasis reports at FDA, China repeatedly sent the SAME shipments of rejected product BACK to the USA.

In some cases the Aroma must be AMaZiNg! :-P

my opinions, down from the tainted soap box :-D

86. Elaine says:

YaYa,

That website is www.ranchfoodsdirect.com. I think there is a list of restaurants that use the meat from Ranch Foods Direct, so those of you in those areas can go check it out and do a taste test.

87. HomeGrown says:

Yes, you’re right Ya Ya, but let’s not forget that it was an Unregistered American Corp that used melamine as a binder in fish food. Even after everything that has gone on with the pet food. I would blame them for living under a rock, but I blame more the FDA and media for not getting the word out there where people will see it. More than just a hit and run article here and there, anyway. IMO The FDA and Corporations are trying their best to not alert as many people as possible and maybe in some instances it worked. But I don’t think they counted on so many recalls one after another and I believe more people found out than they would have liked. I mean really, 1 person has a sick or dead pet and all of the people in contact with that person (family, friends, co-workers, cashiers, hairdressers, etc) probably got mention of it. Word spreads, and it spreads relatively fast. Which is why I have said, they are hanging themselves with every with every delay to recall, or get the word out. Word of mouth makes companies or breaks companies. Always has, always will.

88. Elaine says:

E. Hamilton Says:

June 10th, 2007 at 12:37 pm
    Wanna do a little something today troops?

There is STILL poison on the store shelves. Still sickening and killing.

Go get a Digg account here- http://digg.com/
    free and easy

and then vote for this story -http://tinyurl.com/2hwmpg
    so more people will see it.

E, the story didn’t show up as a link. Can you post that again?

Is there any downside to getting a digg account such as spam, etc? I am older, so I am verrryy cautious to do anything like that! In fact, it probably took me two days to get up the courage to join in on the blog!
    Crazy, I know—–

89. High Note says:

I WAS A THE ASSISTANT MANAGER IN A SMALL GROCERY STORE AND I GROUND HAMBURGER. THEY USED TO COME IN BOXES AND THE GROUND BEEF WERE IN LONG TUBES. THEY GROUND THEM ONCE IN THE FACTORY AND THEN THE STORE REGROUNDS THEM WHEN THEY COME IN. BEFORE THIS WAS DONE THEY TOOK IT STRAIGHT OFF THE CARCASS. AND THEY STORED THEM IN THE STORES IN COOLING UNITS AND THEY WOULD GET HALF A CARCUSS WHAT EVER. NOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED. WAL MART STARTED GETTING THE HAMBURGER MEAT BROUGHT IN AND ALL ALL OF IT PREPACKAGED. NO MORE GRINDING FOR THE BUTCHER IN THE STORE. BUT THIS STUFF WAS TERRIBLE TO EAT TO ME. IT WAS VERY RUBBERY AND TASTED MORE LIKE A RUBBER BAND TO ME. SO.. I STARTED BYING MY MEAT AT DILLONS AFTER THAT. NOW DILLONS IS DOING THE SAME THING BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER. I COMPLAINED ABOUT IT. I HATED THE TASTE OF THE MEAT AFTER IT SAT IN SHIPPING AND IN A BOX HEAVEN KNOWS HOW LONG. THEY NOW GROUND ONE KIND FOR ME. BUT I DON’T EVEN USE IT KNOW. I USE THE ONLY BRAND MY STORE HAS THAT IS NATURAL WITH NO PRESERVATIVE, HORMONES, ETC .

90. E. Hamilton says:

Digg is a good way to get attention for stories that are , shall we say, BETTER than the bull the FDA is feeding the public.
    There is a link to digg the story on the page with the story, looked kinda cool to I investigated it.
    The more people who digg a story the higher it ranks, very popular with the younger crowd.
    No down side that I know of,
    here is the link, I hope.

91. E. Hamilton says:

And here is a story that will make you furious!

Comment if you like, no need to have a digg account.

What a jerk! Maybe his state board needs to review his ability to practice?, since he is obviously delusional and may very well be dangerous.

92. YaYa says:

Thank You Elaine! I will definitely visit it.

Homegrown, You are So right. Something got out of control that None of them thought about and I think it was the Melamine {first} that set this into Overdrive.

I mean how many people previously sent food to be tested? {I think they also forgot about the Internet and even Itchmo was Brand New right then too :-D }

I think they thought the Melamine would turn out to be something noone would learn about and it could get passed by on. We’ve al become Conditioned to the Idea Cats and Dogs have Kidney prblems Period Right? They die younger and younger, who was keeping “score” anyway?
    BUT then *something* happened.
    Whether Cyanuric Acid being Dumped in too, possibly by very un-savory/unregulated/cheap/unclean type manufacturers or in Rendered meats etc or from Where-ever;
    It Grew Fast and Furiously and WE began to Band together Here {and a few other places}
    Comparing notes.

Labs are being found on the Net to test privately. Then comes along other nasty ingredients. At the same time.

Was it a comfort level reached by the China suppliers to Ship the unclean ingredients????

The Binder deal I do and don not get too. HOW did a Company {or other feed companies} FIND TEMBEC????

Has Anyone been able to find Web publication on this sort of Trade in the USA? And ADvertisement in a “Magazine” for the Binder sales?
    How was it advertised? As a Food binder?
    How would a wood/pulp/laminat chemicals type company come in Contact with a Feed Company???

This is at least 3 years old too.

And Yes I have run across folks who are Totally Ignorant of the Pet food Issues {ever the recalls!}

One was ‘half’ informed’ A secretary at an attorney’s office on the phone. Oh yeah I knew about the recalls but don’t have a pet so— Don;t know anyting about any Class Action Suits! HUH? A secretary at an Attorney’s Office! Blew me away even more then others have.
    {thank goodness the attorney knew more! LOL}

Had one person say: can’t change what we can’t change so should move on. HUH?

Then there is the Facts that so many of our Own Vets won’t STAND UP on This, Join the Fight!
    What are they going to lose customers for doing That?
    I’d think they be even More appreciated for it!

Nor Pet Clubs. Or those types.
    What are they some how Immune to sick and dead pets?

Do they All homefeed {in secret?} and then go to the Shows etc that are Supported by Food companies but don’t SAY they homefeed in public? Worried about Financial support only?

Of Course the Vets have Deals with “suppliers” too.
    Why would they bad-mouth a Company whose got Tainted foods showing up??????????

The Few, the very very pitiful Few is all we see.

And the Media. Plenty of us have Sent time and again, Info on this and Nothing.

One here, one there.
    BEEF Recall was Huge this Morning and last night tho!
    Course that was 6 MILLION LBS! In your face facts.

I think WE could come up with even More POUNDS tha That, of Poisoned Dog and Cat Foods IF the TPTB would get off their dead stick A__ES!

JERKS!

Some-where back there a while ago, maybe a year or even 3 ago, someone ‘allowed’ Melamine to slip into Feeds. {speaking Here and more on going}

Thinking WE”D NEVER KNOW. It would become business as usual.
    BUT I think; Melamine combining with ANYTHING Else, is Dangerous. And THAT They did not think through. PERIOD

Bad mood I guess, but still head strong today! :-P

93. thomas says:

Something that has bothered me since the start of the pet food recall is the fact that some people on fixed budgets eat pet food . This is a fact in the state where I live. I wonder if any of these people have become ill or died.

If politicians think COOl is to expensive to enforce then how about stopping the money they pay to these agri businesses and use that money to enforce COOL.

Also food stamps come out of the USDA so why not stop the farm subsidizes program. Give poor people more food stamps. Perhaps they should give increase farm subsidies to organic farmers to help more people switch from conventional farming (poisoning the air , earth and food ), stop the use of pesticides GE, GMO , and pesticides.

94. randy says:

More things to avoid.

China has become America’s leading supplier of apple juice used as a food sweetener, garlic and garlic powder, sausage casings and cocoa butter.

HOMELAND INSECURITY
    Is China trying to poison Americans and their pets?
    U.S. market flooded with foods unfit for humans, tainted with carcinogens, pesticides, bacteria, drugs

——————————————————————————–
    Posted: May 27, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

95. E. Hamilton says:

And the FDA just got rid of a ton of the recalled pet food on the list, so the list is now incomplete and the dying goes on.

Just makes you glad to be an American doesn’t it?

96. kellie says:

Remember g the name of certain products to create a new market and distance the product from previous recalls?
    Well this is the “new” super preimum food that Walmart is toting on their site and offering free samples.

Does anyone know of this brand or who makes it?
    I’ve never heard of it.

Smells fishy to me. Those of you with the researching and digging for info talents please get the low down on this new food toted as “super premium at a great value”

97. kellie says:

ugg my post cut off AGAIN!!!
    ANYWAY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY “REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT PET FOOD MAKERS CHANGING THE NAME OF A PRODUCT….” THE REST POSTED PROPERLY.

THAT WAS THE FIRST SENTENCE

98. MarySmith says:

BIOLOGICAL WAR-FEAR
    Seafood imports from China raised in untreated sewage Fish products consumed by Americans treated with dangerous drugs, chemicals

Posted: June 4, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

99. MarySmith says:

randy Says:
    June 10th, 2007 at 6:39 pm

That URL does not work - here is one that will work

100. randy says:

MarySmith,

Thanks for the link. Interesting info there.

101. HomeGrown says:

Ya Ya

I know it is all very frustrating. That’s what I meant when I said they are going to do themselves in. Maybe everyone doesn’t know about it YET. But just wait. They screw around long enough, enough peoples pets get sick or die and word of mouth will spread like wildfire. We have all looked at news and said “That’s too bad.” but when it happens to you or you know someone it has happened to it hits closer to home and you sit up and pay attention. The big downfall for us is that more furkids will be affected. :-(
    That is what breaks our hearts.

Kellie

Yeah, we all expected the new foods didn’t we. Just further proof that word of mouth HAS spread and that they have lost more sales than they are letting on. Not for one minute am I buying any of the sales pitches any longer. Got my furkids on homemade and that is where they will stay. My Lab Sophie looks better than she ever has. Shiny coat, lean muscles. My older cat had a problem with oily coat and dandruff. No more. Goodbye commercial pet foods…..Hello Pet Health!

Ehamilton??

Our little FCC thing might have done some good. Within 1 hr. today I saw 2 news casts on the beef recalls and the one on even mentioned the pet food and the spinach recalls. Unfortunately like always they downplayed it by saying at the end that we still have the safest food here in the USA and that with the amount of imports we have, the recalled problems have been relatively small. Sigh….and I have a bridge to sell. Like how would they know with only 1% inspected? Would be great if someone would actually do some investigative reporting instead of what is easy.

kellie Says:

June 10th, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Does anyone know of this brand or who makes it?
    I’ve never heard of it.

According to the post at this website, it’s made by Doane, just like Ol’ Roy dry is:

Both have some baggage:

“February 3, 1999

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY PRODUCTS — CLASS I

PRODUCT
    Multiple brands and formulas of dog food with corn as the primary ingredient:

1 Formula 100
    20. Formula 181 - PMI Nutrition Prime 26
    21. Formula 207
    Dura Life Gravy
    Feedin Time Premium Gravy Style for Dogs
    Hilly Country Fare Gravy Style Dog Food
    Retriever Gravy
    22. Formula 261 - PMI Nutrition Exclusive Adult Growth.
    Recall #V-005/026-9.
    CODE
    Sell by dates JUL 01 99E through AUG 31 99E — All lots manufactured July 1 through August 31, 1998.

MANUFACTURER
    Doane Pet Care, Temple, Texas.

RECALLED BY
    Manufacturer, by telephone and press release on November 2, 1998, followed by fax and express mail letters. Firm-initiated recall ongoing.

DISTRIBUTION
    Texas and Louisiana.

QUANTITY
    1,362,516 bags were distributed.

REASON
    Aflatoxin contamination.”

This is the 2006 MO Summary of Feed Inspections–You’ll find Maxximum Nutrition on page 159 of the 165 page pdf under Wal-Mart. Page 13 shows Doane’s average with a 94.44% rating for 18 samples taken.

Diamond’s record for 59 samples taken was a miserable 79.66%–it’s shown in full on pages 63 & 64.

Nothing new about it–as you see it’s been made by Doane for quite some time–long enough to have gotten in the 1998 aflatoxin recall. Wal-Mart’s been selling it for a while too, so don’t know whether this is an attempt to “hedge” their bets because Ol’ Roy has taken so many “hits” in wet & dry forms or what.

Whoops! Here’s the URL for the 2006 Mo Summary of Feed Inspections:

104. kellie says:

thx menusux.
    i knew it was another crappy food walmart is pushing as “super premium” they will probably make it their new store brand since nobody will touch old roy anymore

While looking for Maxximum Nutrition, this came up for you folks with cats:

What company manufactures Special Kitty Dry Kitten food?

The person who answered this says at least some of it is made by Doane; he/she came up with the answer by Googling the 1-800 “contact number” on the Special Kitty bag. Using this method might just work for other brands of food we’re not really sure who makes.

106. randy says:

I HATE THE PFI!!!!

107. E. Hamilton says:

Oh, we aren’t done with the FCC thing YET, word has been spreading and we are getting some more help on that too.

Helpful info will be posted on the Alice Army thread all through the week and things to get ready for the Friday Surprise Party.

The FCC complaints and challenges to the renewals of the TV stations and calls to advertisers won’t work overnight but it does work.
    Three months of begging ….not so much.

108. YaYa says:

Here’s what I found, and of course nothing Specificaly Points to WHO the manuacturer Really is {but I might mention Purina is Great at running under the wire like this with “other” foods}

{I notice the blog/recall info above from menusux is from 1999}

I Did see Doane’s mentioned only once.

Time frames are from 2002 to 2004 until {the present?} the Walmart deals and many free sample offers all over the place on different sites.

I found it rumored to be Purina’s several times and 1 x for Doane’s.
    It’s toted to be “soy-free”

The biggest lead I found was for:
    Pet Division of Martin’s Feed Mills Inc. Edinburgh, Texas.
    Found 1 phone number I believe associated with “Maxximum Nutrition”: 1-800-624-7387

Martins Feed Mills Inc. appears to now be called only Martins Farm and Ranch {supply}

Somewhere in the last couple of years it might have changed from a Feed Mill to just, Farm and Ranch Supply.

{it’s possible Purina bought out the Feed Mill portion of the business in the last couple of years.}

Thus on their website they Toted Purina Feeds. Cattle, Horse, rabbit, hog, wildbird, cat, dog etc.

One thing I can say about Purina Feeds {in particular, and with personal experience}
    Is that, Purina will not deliver unless you will Order more than 25 Bags at a time. That’s huge for some places, when a horse might get only 2 scoops a day of a 50LBS bag and you’ve got maybe 8-10 horses. You’ve got to keep it Dry in storage and mice free etc too. So got to have Space for that amount.
    {in other words, if you are a “little” guy, forget the special care services {delivery} from Purina at the Farm}
    This was knowledge to me within the last 3-4 years. The farm was interested in one particuar Feed product from them that WAS Good.
    They would not supply the Farm Store {Farm Store wanted to carry several OTHER Companies Brands too} nor the actual Farm.
    The Barn/farm found another and Better Feed :-D

In the Area I live in now, they will not supply any stores with Purina feeds on the store shelves Unless They are the ONLY product on the shelves Period.

Like a Country Hardware type store that supplies some Farm and Ranch supplies- for example.

So Maxximum Nutrition must be the new deal at Walmart {bag picture resemble Purina Dog Chow}

But take your Pick, Doane’s or Purina the actual Co.? :-P

109. HomeGrown says:

E

LOL I anxiously await instructions.

110. Ann H says:

MenuSux - Thank you for the Missouri feed tests!!

111. randy says:

Maxximum Nutrition

Recently, a number of pet food manufacturers reformulated their products. Unfortunately, they’ve added soy to new formulations, making them unsuitable for growing animals. Some “old favourites” that now contain soy are Science Diet and Pro Plan Feline Growth (Purina).

Some rehabbers moved to Eukanuba, a very good brand. However, some reported that their animals didn’t like it.

Always on the hunt for new, reasonably priced (and soy-free) cat foods, we went to Wal-Mart to look at their Maxximum Nutrition products. The ingredients appear to be the same as those found in old formula ProPlan: chicken first, no soy. For those who would like to use ‘old’ ProPlan, Wal-Mart is the place to go.

Rumour has it that Maxximum Choice is made by the Purina company for Wal-Mart. Continue to check the labels. This one may be reformulated in future, too.

Maxximum Choice dog and puppy foods weren’t checked, so if you’re in the market for these foods, make sure to look at the ingredients list.

112. E. Hamilton says:

homegrown, all you need to do today is get your digg account , instructions in this thread.
    Anyone who wants to help can do this.

There are reporters who *are* writing good stuff, be nice to make sure they know we appreciate it.
    This lady has done a good job.

Digg her.

113. randy says:

Food and Drug Administration/Center for Veterinary Medicine

Report on the risk from pentobarbital in dog food

This is all I can take at this point. I must turn off the computer!

Here’s what the Doane website says about their foods:

“Doane Pet Care manufactures a full range of pet food products for both dogs and cats, including dry, semi-moist and soft dry foods, soft treats and dog biscuits.

“Doane Pet Care manufactures store brands for over 200 customers in the United States including the three largest mass merchandisers, the five largest grocery companies and the largest national pet specialty retailer. The company also manufactures packages and ships dry pet food and treats for four of the six largest national branded pet food companies through co-manufacturing agreements.

“Doane Pet Care has been the primary supplier of store brand pet food for Wal*Mart since 1970 - manufacturing and distributing a variety of products direct to their stores including Ol’Roy , Wal*Mart’s store brand and largest selling brand of dry pet food by volume in the United States .

“Doane Pet Care also produces pet food for such nationally recognized grocery chains as Kroger, Albertson’s, Winn-Dixie, Safeway, Food Lion, Bruno’s and Bi-Lo, who market the products under their own store brands.

“Trail Blazer dog foods, available in six formulations, are complete and balanced for all stages of a dog’s life. Trail Blazer products have no artificial flavors, are routinely tested to ensure high digestibility and taste appeal, and come in a variety of package sizes to meet different consumer needs.

“Kozy Kitten cat foods are established and popular products that provide all the nutritional requirements for adult cats. Long known as a leading national value-priced brand, Kozy Kitten caters to the taste preferences of different cats with three flavor varieties, and is available in a variety of sizes for households with one or many cats.

“G. Whiskers is an affordable premium cat food offering gourmet flavor in the economy segment while still delivering a complete and balanced formula for all stages of a cat’s life. G. Whiskers is high in protein and contains linoleic acid for healthy skin and coat, calcium for strong bones and teeth, and taurine for good vision and healthy organ functions.

“Bonkers cat treats have been a favorite of cats for over 16 years. The five flavor varieties come in fun shapes to make Bonkers more entertaining for both cats and their owners. The colorful packaging is specifically designed to seal in freshness.”

115. High Note says:

Mary Smith
    That was a good article at http://worldnetdaily.com/news. I was upset about reading that the U.S. may start letting China import their chickens. I thought they still had bird flu in the country. We would not even know if any of the chicken was from China since some distributor would be only name on it. I am sure they don’t feed their chickens any better then what they have been giving ours. Hope the FDA does not do this!

116. High Note says:

Sorry did not mean the FDA. but my brain has been fried lately with all of this.

117. HomeGrown says:

Did you know that there is a Consumers Union? Well, looky looky.