Recall Update: Weekend

Recall Reimbursements:

We’ve received multiple emails from pet owners who say that pet food companies (not Menu Foods) are “dragging their heels” in paying for veterinary bills. If you have been experiencing the same, please email us your story and progress so far. We’d like to publish a report on how well companies are living up to their promises.

Whose Market Is It Anyway?

And billions of dollars of pet food market share may be up for grabs. A report predicts “double-digit growth rates for alternative pet foods over the next two years,” according to a recent report from Packaged Facts, Product Safety and Alternative Pet Foods: North American Market Outlook.

The analyst who wrote the report continues: “This is a highly emotional issue for many pet food companies, with many now actively reexamining and restructuring their operations as a result of the recall.”

We’re certain it’s a life-or-death issue for pet owners. The FDA disputes ExperTox’s acetaminophen findings, and the PFI goes on the offensive. But, consumers are clearly concerned with their pet food.

Vets And Pet Food:

A blog written by a veterinarian looks back at how pet food companies influence veterinary education with subtle, but clear results. While thankful for their financial assistance in school, she says that the influence of pet food industry on veterinary practices is “extreme.” Read more after the jump.

Add Itchmo New To Your Site: Keep other pet owners informed with recalls and other pet news with our widget. The widget will update automatically with the latest headlines. Get it here.

Check out our non-recall news below. And as always, we’ll keep covering all pet news.

Also, if you have questions or need help, try our ItchmoForums. Get your questions answered by great pet owners.

[Source: Southwest Nebraska News via Offy]
Highlights on vets and food from Dolittler.com:

Hill’s and Waltham routinely paid for our parties, our canine blood-drives, our faculty awards, our own pets’ dietary needs, etc. etc… The list of all their contributions to US vet schools is taller than a tower of pet food cans stacked to the moon and back.

I, for one, am thankful of their contributions—and not just for my reduced indebtedness. It’s hard for us to imagine now (especially with the pet food recall still in full flourish) but pet nutrition was in the dark ages before these companies started legitimately researching pet nutrition. In fact, pets often died of nutritional diseases until Purina did its thing in the’50s and standardized pet food requirements with its Dog and Cat Chow brands.

I believe the era of pet food-sponsored vet school nutrition has come and gone. Yet too many institutions rely on food-sponsored grants and scholarships (like mine) to relieve them of the very real burdens of running worthwhile, bleeding-edge programs in animal health. Essentially, we’ve subsidized the sexier service arms of our profession (surgery, neurology, internal medicine, dermatology, etc.) by outsourcing the bland field of nutrition.

To make matters worse, the influence of this pet food industry oligopoly on real-life veterinary practice is extreme. Not only does the modern vet practice believe in the science behind the bags of food, it has come to rely on the income these foods provide. Read the next installment of this series for a continuation of this discussion.

124 Responses to “Recall Update: Weekend”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

From Itchomo’s news:

“This is a highly emotional issue for many pet food companies”

Translation: Pet food companies stock price has declined.

2. Karen V says:

5CatMom Says:

June 16th, 2007 at 7:04 am
    From Itchomo’s news:

“This is a highly emotional issue for many pet food companies”

Translation: Pet food companies stock price has declined.
    —————————————————————————

LOL, and it is DEFINITELY a highly emotional issue for pet owners (who have to feed the critters.)

3. Karen V says:

Here’s the link to the story, $1495 to get the actual report (okay, who wants to donate?)

Dear PET FOOD COMPANIES,

If you want to understand emotional issues, come on this website and read about grieving pet owners who have lost beloved family members because of your greed and incompetance.

Because of you, I lost my sweet abysinnian, my “beautiful girl”. She was my constant companion during the day and slept with her arms around my neck at night. People who were NOT cat lovers thought she was the greatest.

I held her head and she purred sweetly as the vet euthanized her.

Lastly, since you pet food companies are only interested in your bottom line, her vet bills were $7K.

Shame on you pet food companies. Shame on you. I hope you all go bankrupt.

5. Karen V says:

On your behalf (I think abysinnians are very special) - they do go broke (but they are obviously trying to chime their way out of this one).

6. Deb G. says:

I know we are making the petfood companies “feel the pain” not that they could EVER truely understand what horrible pain pet owners have felt. Just reading the above post of 5catmom makes me cry and then get very angry. We need to make sure these companies no longer have the opportunity to do to our pets what they have done and are still doing. The control we have is in our purchasing power, & I know as someone who was in radio advertising for years we are doing it. Yesterday I heard a National Supermarket running commerials 2 times an hour about how their petfood prices are lower than ever! Of course, to those who don’t have an ear to hear you would think they are doing you a favor. These are sale prices ALL THE TIME! WOW, isn’t Price Chopper GREAT! But, to those of us who have the ear to hear, (especiallly someone who has been in radio) I know they are really saying, NOBODY IS BUYING PETFOOD and we need to get rid of it so we’ll have so many commercials about it you will HAVE to hear it and hopefully you will rush to the store to buy it. In order for justice to be serve and that our “furbabies” didn’t die in vain, tell everyone you know about Itchmo and the truth about petfood. We do have the power and even if the govt. doesn’t want to support us in this fight we can still fight it on our own! I’m so sorry, 5catmom and all of you who lost your pets, my prayers are with you for peace and healing.

From Itchomo’s news:

“This is a highly emotional issue for many pet food companies”

Oh cry me a river. Yeah we’re really emotional. I mean, we’ll be just heart broken and devastated if we have to settle for a 2000 sq. ft. home instead of the 20,000 Sq. Ft. estate we deserve.

8. cats says:

I did demonstrate at times for two different pet food companies at different pet food stores.

I told people how wonderful these foods were because the companies told me what good nutrition the bags and cans contained.

Then I poisoned my cats with one of the companies “great nutrional food”.

How ironic–thankfully, my two cats recovered when I switched to really wholesome foods.

9. JanC says:

5catmom……your story breaks my heart.

I went to that consumer affairs website yesterday where everyone posted about the sickness or death of their beloved pets…..that was so hard to read. I got angry & sent the link to one of the PF companies that was mentioned a lot on that page. I told them to spend some time reading it. Maybe I should send it to the other PF companies.

We all know they are following our posts so they know we are beyond angry. I will never buy any of the big brands again because now I know that they could care less about my dog, they only care about the money. They certainly didn’t care no matter how many emotional pet parents called them to tell them that their food had sickened or killed a pet……which shows you what kind of people you’re dealing with. I would call them insensitive criminals (my perfect description can’t be posted here). Therefore, they’ll never get a cent of mine. And as long as I live & breathe, I’ll talk to as many people as I can to stop them from buying their products.

I have been in the grocery story & Petsmart…..I keep checking the pet food aisle & I haven’t seen a lot of activity there. However, I go into the little specialty pet food stores that carry only the premium brands & they are very busy. That’s the only thing that does my heart good these days. No matter how hard we hit the big PF companies, they will never admit it publicly. However, I do believe the only thing that would cause any of them any emotion at all would be for them to be losing market share.

I think we’re hitting them where it hurts…….WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

Don’t kid yourself these guys don’t have feelings.

As hard as it is you are going to have to keep your emotions in check. We’re going up against guys who think people (their customers) who refer to their pets as “fur babies” are sensitive weaklings to be exploited and taken advantage of.

I know because I worked in Marketing.

It’s Pathetic. It’s not even promotion now days it’s just brazen and dishonest manipulation.

And thats why I left Marketing and said goodbye to that fantasy world.

Nationwide Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Pet Food
    Companies and Retailers For Misleading Consumers Regarding the Contents of Pet Food. May 15, 2007

Probably the best of all the legal action that has been taken against these liars.

13. JanC says:

Steve:

I can’t believe you worked in Marketing for one of these hellholes. Man, the stuff you must know…….I’m angry enough without hearing more about these jerkfaces (the ones who are supposed to be human beings with heart & soul). Bull pucky…..

I joined that lawsuit & I hope everyone else has too. I have never been involved in a lawsuit in my life but I certainly feel that this is a worthwhile cause for everyone who owns a pet to get involved in. I don’t care if I get a dollar, as long as it makes these jerks squirm & costs them big bucks to fight it. Then it will make my day.

Also hoping those who lost pets with huge vet bills will join a class action lawsuit. I don’t have a clue how much money they might get back but I wouldn’t try to do business with any one of these crooks directly…..let the lawyers sue the pants off them & cost them a lot of money trying to fight these suits. Now that really makes my day. Couple that with sales being down & maybe they’ll see that we aren’t weaklings who are easily manipulated.

14. HomeGrown says:

I thought this site worth visiting. I got to wondering what happened to the Barbi Twins who lost a cat to this trajedy. Well, looks like they are on the case and have assembled other celebrities for a Candlelight Vigil on July 13.

The BARBI twins And jennifer pryor
    will be at W LA FEDERAL BLDG
    at 7:30 p.m., on July 13
    11000 WILSHIRE BLVD.,
    W. LOS ANGELES, CA
    (at corner of wilshire and FEDERAL)

Here is a link to the homepage.

Let’s all give them our support and if you live in that area you might want to attend the vigil.

Good Morning All,

Just checking in for the day

Momcat5

your story made me cry as I read how she was still purring as you held her held, just typing that made my eyes start to swell with tears again.

I know I will never buy any of the PF ever again with my own drama and stress from my 2 girls and all the pain and suffering of all the horrible stories I read on here and other sites, they DO NOT DESERVE ONE FREAKIN DIME OF OUR MONEY EVER AGAIN.

Like I said I was pleased at the dealership yesterday to her older gentlemen boycotting pet food and home cooking for their dogs saying they trust none of them. Words like that do my heart and soul good.

My girlfriend brought her cat with jaw cancer home for his final days to say good bye, she said he is a trooper he was actually trying to eat Flint River Ranch hard food and it kept following out his hole in his mouth, still loves to eat his wet, and still foloows her from room to room. Once his interests in wanting to live start to slide she will know it is time to let him go but for now he is still fighting.

From my experience with the big pharma company I had to reckon with, can tell you that Steve’s right. Personally know people who’d been the emotional route with them re: withdrawal of the life-sustaining med they themselves used. This did no good-the med was taken off the market by them anyhow.

When we discovered the problem with the life-sustaining med they made that we used, I checked on more of their info. FDA records showed that the company had serious cGMP (quality problems) problems at the plant producing the med which was recorded in 2000 and was ongoing.

So I knew what was wrong with the meds we had when I called them. Got their standard line about the drug not being approved for use in animals; my response was now I am a consumer calling who has X amount of your flawed product in my possession. And you could hear their CYA gears grinding. Their tired old BS lines weren’t working (Over there, you know they’re stuck when they put you on hold–this kept happening repeatedly, the more I said to them. They even tried pretending they couldn’t hear me on the phone and I began to speak louder, saying I was shouting so they could hear me.) Before long, they were volunteering information regarding switching to another form of the drug–this is in violation of FDA law, as the drug was not approved for use in animals.

We forced them to make a report to the FDA Green Book (Veterinary adverse drug reactions) and they had to settle with us. My baby came through, thank God–and he got his revenge on them. We helped a reputable pharma get the drug on the market where it is today–the other company’s version of it is no longer sold.

Emotion didn’t twist their corporate you know what–being hard and tough with them did. I’ve never stopped fighting them because I know what they are and what their meds can do to anyone using them.

They continued to lurk on a message board dealing with the particular disease–you could see their IP lurking daily there. The message board allowed HTML, so I did a little programming with my next message. When they came by to spy again, the MASH Theme (Suicide is Painless) was played along with the post–to honor the people harmed by the antidepressant meds they also sell.

We have the records of that–nobody in that corporate office knew what to do for over 50 minutes (they were on the post that long). They couldn’t take legal action, since nothing was written there re: the drugs killing/harming. Their former MD mouthpiece was exposed for not being a specialist, but a Family Practice MD near their offices.

Hanging tough is the only way to make them bleed.

17. Animal Lover-AJ says:

My heart is broken to all those people who have lost their beloved pets. My deepest sympathy goes out to you all. I am searching for a dog food-puppy food that will not kill my dogs off and a cat food. I have gone through 3 major brands and have thrown them all out. Wellness seems to be helping my animals now. Before, Wellness - they were having all kinds of problems. I hope Wellness never changes or if it does ,I hope it gets even better. For now, all my pets seem to be on the road to recovery and have lot more energy than they ever did and their coats have a gloss to them and their other symptoms caused by the other dog foods has subsided.

18. Ticocats says:

Good story today in an Australian newspaper about the massive problems with Chinese food/drug production and potential for international boycott of Chinese products (and it reports number of US pet deaths from recalled foods at 8500):

19. e wem says:

5catmom I am crying as I read. Your pet sounds so much like my little tortie who had health issues since I got her and clings to me everytime she is ill. Whenever she purrs I know she is suffering

Based on Steves comments, I found this advertising news about The Good Life ad campaign. This Mars pet food showed up at our stores just as the recall news appeared.

From the article:
    “TV and print ads play up moments of bonding between pets and their owners.”

If any pet food maker put out an ad honestly addressing the problem, declaring they use only 100 percent American origin ingredients my trust might come back. I don’t expect that to ever happen. That seems to be the biggest taboo in American business - they refuse to promise to use American anything anymore. They are more loyal to the Global solution then their parochial ignorant customers

Do I believe they care one whit about my beautiful dear pets?

They don’t want to rile the masters in the new superpower and lose the supply of cheap ingredients. If you use a middleman after all, you do not have to say it came from overseas, it came from an American supplier

I am old enough to remember the days of cats all being tossed outside to go potty, male cats serenading on the fence by our window, and the canned catfood that looked like ground fish heads. I can’t remember kill offs from non-nutritious cat food that the pet food industry rescued us from.

We lost more cats from outdoor accidents, being caught by dogs etc but there are few memories of sickly cats being taken down by the old fishy smelling food. The vet article doesn’t jibe with my memories.

Did the pet food industry invent memories of bad ole days for pets before they came along?

20. Sky Eyes Woman says:

The things I read at doolittler.com were definitely an eye-opener. I’d read about the pet food industry’s domination of nutrition classes at veterinary colleges before and felt that was bordering on unethical, but to read one student’s story of being thwarted when she tried to learn more than what the PFI people want them to hear was a bit of a shock. They’ll go to ANY length to protect their huge profit margin.

If the PFI does not wake up and change their ways now, they are going to suffer greatly. Their secret is out and the cat cannot be put bag in the bag, so to speak. They may think of us as “sensitive weaklings to be exploited and taken advantage of”, BUT…us “sensitive weaklings” are holding the purse strings and we have the power to make or break a pet food company. This is a very dangerous and delicate time for all the PFI.

Come on Hill’s…Menu…and all of you. Start doing right by our pets and we’ll do right by you. Stop buying the cheap tainted Chinese ingredients. Stop putting junk and garbage in your food. We “sensitive weaklings” are not sensitive or weak about not buying your lies anymore or seeing you go bankrupt. We care about our pets, but we do not care about your profit margins. It’s time for you to start caring about our pets more and your wallet less, because our trust cannot be bought with money. Our trust must be paid for with action, and what we have seen from you so far is more of the same that got you in this mess to begin with- deceit, finger-pointing and butt-covering.

It’s not going to buy you back that trust which filled your pockets before you betrayed us.

Wake up and change NOW, or later in the unemployment line. It’s entirely up to you.

21. High Note says:

In the good old days most pets got the scraps off a farmers table and the only time they had trouble was with the bones hurting the pet. I really do not agree with this vitamin thing at all. I don’t think our animals lacked much back then. After all there was vitamins in the food they ate! The food may have been scraps off a table but it didn’t have fake vitamins in it or melamine or bad preservatives. It was fresh food.

Triocats that was a great article from the Brisbone Times! Thanks for sharing it. At least it was a honest reporter for a change. 8,500 pet deaths was honest! Too bad our News media in this country does not bother to care as much!

22. cats says:

Went to PetSmart just for kitty litter at lunch time. Pretty quiet there when before the poisoning was revealed, that was one of their busiest times.

The specialty pet store where I now shop is pretty active now. Also, my cat’s coats look so much better. Best of all, my girl cat hardly wheezes at all because she gets no wheat, wheat gluten, or (hopefully) melamine.

One of the most-often asked questions here has been re: suppliers. If you’re willing to follow these links, I think you will have 2 answers to that question:

MF Sues

“The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided by the same company that also supplied MF.”

“The Company took this voluntary recall action immediately after learning this morning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine.”

“shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry.”

Your count now should be 3 PF companies after clicking the links.

““He rents space in five warehouses around the country and provides a variety of pet food ingredients to manufacturers and pet food ingredient distributors.

“MF is the only customer lost, leaving 17 others.”

“Many tons of contaminated wheat gluten sit untouched in an Allegheny County warehouse, too dangerous for pet food, too valuable to throw out.

“The wheat gluten being held in an Allegheny County warehouse was destined for Pittsburgh-based Company, but that company never bought or received any of that shipment, Gardine said.
    “Company previously recalled some dog food and cat and dog treats that had been made with some of the contaminated ingredients.

“The supplier holding the contaminated product wants to find an industrial use for it to avoid having to trash it, Gardine said.”

My count was 3 to start with but now 2–I think you all know what I’m trying to show you but am doing it like this for legal reasons. You can all connect the dots.

24. Garyn says:

Deb G, I heard the same ad many many times on the radio except here it is for Shop and Stop. They go on and on about how their pet food is now at a low low price. What made me particularly nauseous was that they used the word “healthy” about 15 times thoughout the ad referring to previously recalled brands by name. It is a disgusting display of desperation.

I was also in Pet Supplies Plus to buy some toys for my kitten when the Hills Science Death, oops I meant Diet, no actually I meant Death, issue first came out. What I noticed was that the employees were opening cases and cases of new Hills canned food. Interesting. A silent recall perhaps?

5cat mom, I am so sorry for your loss and for everyones loss. I lost my little Mabel girl and the pain just does not ever go away.

25. Ruth says:

To 5CatMom: I am so very sorry about your fur baby it just breaks my heart to read about everyone who has lost a pet to these pet food companies.

I think back and never ever gave it a thought before how just feeding our pets and just leading an every day life could have made such an impact today. We are all grieving and angry how these greedy companies have never cared about our pets. Now we can hit them in the pocket book.

It makes me angry that they are still hiding behind the FDA’s apron skirts. And the FDA doing nothing.

I hope ExperTox continues to stand up to them and not let the bullies make a mockery of the work they do.

I’m Marley’s Mom.

26. JennyG says:

I’ve started to avoid buying my cat food at a local feed store - they continue to support all the big name brands that have been part of this recall. I instead have started to purchase at a local store that is proud to announce it is recall free. They dropped Pet Guard when they refused to respond to their questions about where the food was canned. They dropped IAMS, Eukanuba, and Pro-Plan (Their reason: We took a look at these brands early in the recall. They were all involved for the same reason - they all use lots of cheap grain-fillers (glutens) in their foods. We had carried these brands for some time, while never actually recommending them. We wanted to be more consistant with our offerings and recommendations.). They also dropped Nutro and Science Diet. They then dropped all Chicken Soup cans when they began their recall (Even though the recall was limited to select types of cans, we have pulled all ANI canned product (Chicken Soup) from MadCat shelves - permanantly)

I applaud this local stores efforts and have decided to support them even if it means driving a little bit out of my way.

27. JanC says:

Garyn:

LOL over your “silent recall” remark. I’ve been saying all along (& have also seen posts from people who work in “large chain stores”) that many of these companies, when they started getting a ton of calls about a certain product, pulled these “silent recalls”. To me, it’s chicken ****…….first, because they only care about covering their butts & not having to announce publicly that their food is filled with poison & foolishly thinking they were saving their reputation (yep, & all pet parents just fell off the turnip truck)….but second, & worst of all, what about those innocent victims feeding this **** to their beloved pets. If it’s not on the recall list, people were still buying it. I personally think if we had any idea the magnitude of these “silent recalls”, we’d be one hell of a lot angrier. I believe this was huge.

Doesn’t matter to me anymore. All the biggies out there, you can count on me never again buying any of your products. I think you’re a pretty sad excuse for human beings. And I don’t care what “wholesome” ingredients you start using…..you lied once (you know that old saying “fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”) so I wouldn’t ever believe you again. Do what you feel you must but I’m hoping you’ve angered enough people that they feel the same as I do. Oh oh, no more million dollar bonuses. You know what? That bothers me about as much as knowing your food was killing pets bothered you.

Any PF company who proved that they didn’t test the product purchased, or they would’ve known they were sold wheat flour for wheat gluten and rpc, doesn’t deserve my or anyone else’s business.

Same goes for any PF company who has or had a supplier who also didn’t test, regardless of whether the PF company was buying wheat gluten or rpc from these suppliers or not.

To all,

Thanks for your kind words. I didn’t mean to start the day on a sad note, but Itchmo’s comment seemed like a good link in order to let the corrupt pet food companies learn how their negligence affected one family.

Many here have lost several (or all) of their pets, and we grieve for everyone who has been affected by the recall.

We are “fortunate” to have only lost one.

The pet food industry spies who lurk here may well jump to conclusions about our sensitivity, weakness and ability to be exploited, but IMHO any such analysis only demonstrates how STUPID they are.

We may be sad, but we’re fighting mad!

Winston Churchill said “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”.

So “wise up” pet food companies, ’cause we’re not buying any more of your junk.

30. Ann H says:

I am getting the impression that the pet food industry thinks they can come out on top by producing “natural” or “organic” products. In the large companies? At Menu?

I sincerely hope pet owners drop the big companies in favor of small, owner operated, self manufactured products.

If the big ones are the ones that are pressing self-regulation then I hope they discover that they sunk their ships.

By now, after 3 months, you would have thought they would realize that the consumer abhors not only their products but their attitude/pr which is just as contaminated and toxic as their product.

Here’s a link to a 2006 pdf report re: Organic Pet Food Task Force.

Page 2 shows who’s on the Task Force–Nancy Cook from PFI was its chairperson and Rodney Noel became part of the PFI’s “Petfood Commission” formed after the recalls began. You’ll see some other names from large PF companies on the Task Force too.

at 12:01 pm

Oh boy here we go. Okay, arm bulls*t deflectors. This is an alert. Repeat. Arm deflectors. Deflector shields up.

Lorie,

Just saw your post about your friend’s cat with jaw cancer. The poor thing.

Hope your friend can keep him happy and comfortable for a while.

34. Tom Paine says:

For those of you interested in class action lawsuits, know this. The bulk of any settlement funds goes to the attorneys and not to the individual plaintiffs. I have been a party to several class actions, not willingly, not by choice, but by circumstance. In most of these instances the awards for individual members of the class was miniscule. In no way am I suggesting that one not take part, just be an informed participant. One does not have to take part in a class action, although oftentimes a presiding judge will consolidate individual lawsuits into a class because individually it is too time consuming for the court to proceed otherwise.

Just be as savvy a participant in the class action as you have become in the matter of pet foods.

35. JanC says:

I just went to a holistic pet store to get some samples of good cat food for a neighbor. While in there, the owner was talking about some new holistic food she had just gotten in. My first question was “who makes this?” She gave me a strange look & told me.

I’m not going for any new holistic pet food because I really believe the big names are going to start peddling their junk under a new name with a new wrapper with the same old junk inside. They fooled us once, they can do it again under a new name with a pretty wrapper with meat & veggies on it. I’m going to stick with the small companies that I know are testing & not putting junky grains in their food. I could be wrong but I’m afraid some of these new holistic foods may be no more than another marketing ploy.

Cooking for my dog is not all that much trouble so I’ll stick with a touch of dry & some of mama’s home cooking…….

36. High Note says:

Whether a person gets their pet food from a big company or a small company it will make no difference if any of them buy preservatives, vitamins, etc from China! There are very few companies left in the U.S. to get these things.
    I do not know if a small company could afford to do this but they really need to be checking all of their ingredients in the future that they get from other sources then the U.S. I think even the U.S. products should be checked too! They have not been perfect in the past! There is always going to be a problem in some way or another in the pet food till they start doing this. Corn gluten has been recalled because of mold many times. We all must insist that our pets have the same food that we can eat or we will not buy it!
    These companies have cut cost any way they can and our pets have suffered for it!

37. JanC says:

Tom:

I think most people understand that the lawyers will take a huge sum in a class action lawsuit. However, with thousands of people out big bucks & so angry at the PF companies, it would be impossible for each person to sue individually…..some may, others will try to work with the PF company. Some people are out thousands of dollars & still lost their pet(s) which is really sad……while the PF company CEO collects his millions of dollars in bonuses. I’m lucky, I’m only out a couple of hundred for blood tests & a urine analysis plus all the food I’ve thrown out.

My point was that these lawsuits are going to cost these PF companies big bucks to fight & spend time in court plus whatever they have to pay out. That alone does my heart good. Whatever we can do to inconvenience them & cost them money is well worth it in my book. If this leads to any kind of investigation, that’s just an added plus. I can only pray that some of them lose a ton of business & their profit margin takes a nosedive. Hate to sound vindictive but I guess this whole thing has made me into a very nasty person.

38. High Note says:

Thanks homegrown
    for the kitty liberation sight. I signed their petition and sent it to all my friends!
    Wish I could attend the vigil but live too far away! I noticed there were a lot of people that signed. Wonderful!

This just poped up on NYT’s home page:

“F.D.A. Tracked Tainted Drugs, but Trail Went Cold in China”

For a mere $3,500, this can be downloaded:

Pet Food in the U.S.: Riding the Premium Wave
    Sep 1, 2006

“The U.S. pet food market is experiencing healthy growth as marketers continue to convert pet owners to better quality, higher priced, more upscale fare. Premium pet foods cover all bases—natural/organic, fortified/functional, weight control, lifestage, breed-/size-specific, gourmet, etc.—and are increasingly being positioned not just as human style but as human grade. As a result, much of the growth is occurring at the upper-income tier of the pet owner spectrum, with U.S. households earning $70,000 or more now accounting for an impressive 44% of the aggregate pet food expenditure—up from just 15% in 1994.

“Top marketers including Nestlé Purina, Mars, Iams, Hill’s, Nutro, and S&M NuTec clearly have their fingers on the emotional pulse of American pet owners, as well as some very big advertising guns. During 2005, they spent nearly $300 million on national advertising for pet food, virtually all of it encouraging the deep attachment Americans feel for their pets, while also launching the biggest surge of new products in the history of the market. The high level of interest in all things pet has also spurred a number of high-profile acquisitions, including Mars’ recent purchase of S&M NuTec (Greenies) and private-label producer Doane, Del Monte’s purchase of Milk-Bone and Meow Mix, Bain Capital’s purchase of Nutro, and Central Garden & Pet’s purchase of Breeder’s Choice. ”

But…

From Quakertown: All-natural dog food
    Philadelphia Inquirer June 16, 2007

“Freshpet, the Secaucus, N.J., company that owns the plant, has standards. The manufacturer of all-natural dog food, launched last summer, began shipping products from the Quakertown plant in August to just 75 stores. By the end of 2006, they were in 200 stores. That is expected to grow to 1,000 by next month.

“Freshpet says it now uses only domestic ingredients. In March, the company cut its European supplier of taurine, an amino acid. It wanted to avoid any negative perception customers might associate with a foreign supplier, Morris said.

“The company has outperformed the industry trend so far this year. Since December, sales of the top 35 dog foods have declined more than 9 percent, according to Information Resources Inc., a Chicago research company.

“At Freshpet, sales nearly doubled during the same period.”

So you see by the research figures that Duane-o and his bunch are hurting. You also see that before the recall, the sky was expected to be the limit for these PF companies by the 2006 report above.

If part of that $300 million spent on advertising had been spent on safety checks and testing and/or not sourcing ingredients from questionable areas/vendors, none of this would have happened.

41. purringfur says:

From NY Times article cited by 5CatMom:

1997 - “The following May, Mr. Pulham, who was part of the original F.D.A. investigative team in Haiti, tried to revive the investigation. “Is it possible to block-list all Chinese pharmaceutical products until we gain cooperation?” he asked.

The suggestion went nowhere. Five months later, Ms. Pendergast of the F.D.A. wrote her memorandum, imploring investigators to keep digging.

“China is turning into one of the major bulk pharmaceutical producers in the world,” she wrote. “Unless they have an open, transparent and predictable system for dealing with problems and other countries, it is going to be rough sledding in the years ahead.”
    ……………….
    And it HAS been rough sledding… Look at the constant stream of recalls for food, drugs, toiletries, toys, and household items! And, just think… We only inspect around 1 - 2 % of all imports!

This was 10 years ago, and the unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers are not cooperating any more now than they did then. Deny! Deny! Instead of just destroying documents, with the pet food scandal, they razed an entire factory!

Why didn’t we stop pharmaceutical trading back then? I’ll bet every bit of industrial scrap they can find is in our drugs and vitamins (and food, of course).

42. JanC says:

Menusux:

Thanks for that nifty bit of information……don’t know why but I bet 9% is a conservative estimate. I think they’re down by a lot more than that…….best news I’ve had all week!!!

I agree about the $300 mil in advertising…..that really torques me. What they could’ve done with that money to make a healthier pet food…..& none of these pets would’ve gotten sick or died. None of this would’ve happened…..you are so right…..as you usually are.

JanC,

If you ask my family, I’m NOT always right ;-)!

They’ve realized that the $ is there for pet products, but they completely underestimated the intelligence of those doing the purchasing of them. While we might watch the ads featuring cats doing the cha-cha and dancing dogs and are amused by them, they’re not what’s going to be the deciding factor on what we spend our $ for. If they are, we’re not old enough to be trusted with money.

You can’t eat the TV commercial, slick magazine ad or the full color photo on the label–not if you expect any nutritional value. Putting it IN, not ON, the package is the key here.

Especially in the case of food, the thought “If we make it, they will buy.”, sank just like the Titanic some 95 years ago. It’s not what you’re willing to sell us, but what we are willing to buy from your company; if we don’t like what we see, we’re going to keep our wallets and purses closed to you. Belonging to Duane’s Dummies isn’t going to fix that.

44. xyz says:

If you haven’t run across it Don has some information links on his site near the bottom of the page about sulfa drugs.

petfoodrecallsfacts.com

If anyone bookmarked the comprehensive AG site that was referenced here a couple of months (?) ago that might have something as well.

Search terms “Stevens Jonhson Syndrome” and “sulfa drug list” were helpful as far as human sensitivities and overview.

45. Purina Puke says:

5catMom so sorry about your loss. All this is just terrible. My family thankfully hasn’t lost any pets, or had any of them become seriously ill.

Ever since this whole thing started I’ve become really paranoid. I check my kitties so often now. Do their ears look okay? Their eyes, noses, paw pads? Do they have any lumps or rashes? My cats must think I’m nuts, but I can’t help it.

46. Donna says:

The public is NOT aware of the depth of this food tainting problem.I am in a position,where I meet with thousands of the pet loving public.I send all pet owners to itchmo and hand them packages of safe food with information on the company.I am NOT tied into the company.My own pets were switched in January . They are doing excellent and I also cook top quality for my fur family & guests. So………..if we have PFI lukers looking at the boards.HEAR ME ! I command the POWER to reach thousands of pet families,and I am TURNING them ,away from doing business with companies that agreed to “murder pets for profits”. I change guests diets in a heart beat and inform the owners with “proof”. PFI,………do not think of us a weak.We are in stealth mode………….we are going to reap “justice”. You wanted our money,BUT……….you took innocent lives,by deception and created terrible suffering and pain for all that “shared the loving bond”. I and thousands of other pet parents have a serious job to do. SHARE YOUR knowledge on the murders of pets from corporations. The general public has been kept “blind” on purpose.The purpose is GREED.

47. Purina Puke says:

Power to the people Donna! Tons of people are at the sites Catster and Dogster and I have managed to direct some of them to itchmo as well. The word MUST be spread!

48. Purina Puke says:

WARNING: This article is EXTREMELY disturbing, detailing how in China dogs and cats are sold to restaurants and other people to be used as food. I found this post over in another thread about the cat being saved from inside the house.

This really shows what kind of people we are dealing with in this country.

7dog mum Says:

June 16th, 2007 at 9:41 pm
    Then there is China…………and how they view cats.

what is the USA doing supporting a country that is so barbaric

49. JanC says:

Donna, you go girl. I spread the word as much as I possibly can but I don’t have a lot of contact with the public (except all of you & most of you know more than I do about what’s going on).

Maybe my memory isn’t correct on this but I thought a few weeks back I read that the PF companies were reporting their sales were down by 4%…..now it’s 9%. If we keep going, perhaps we can get it to 50%. You have to understand that even at 9%, we’re talking some serious bucks here. Their sales are in the billions so no matter how much they’re down, it’s hitting them where they live…..in their almighty profits. One less beach house for a CEO & one less Porsche for yet another. Like I GAS………

50. Purina Puke says:

Sorry this is the full link.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All