Recall Update: Weekend

Recall Reimbursements:

We’ve received multiple emails from pet owners who say that pet food companies (not Menu Foods) are “dragging their heels” in paying for veterinary bills. If you have been experiencing the same, please email us your story and progress so far. We’d like to publish a report on how well companies are living up to their promises.

Whose Market Is It Anyway?

And billions of dollars of pet food market share may be up for grabs. A report predicts “double-digit growth rates for alternative pet foods over the next two years,” according to a recent report from Packaged Facts, Product Safety and Alternative Pet Foods: North American Market Outlook.

The analyst who wrote the report continues: “This is a highly emotional issue for many pet food companies, with many now actively reexamining and restructuring their operations as a result of the recall.”

We’re certain it’s a life-or-death issue for pet owners. The FDA disputes ExperTox’s acetaminophen findings, and the PFI goes on the offensive. But, consumers are clearly concerned with their pet food.

Vets And Pet Food:

A blog written by a veterinarian looks back at how pet food companies influence veterinary education with subtle, but clear results. While thankful for their financial assistance in school, she says that the influence of pet food industry on veterinary practices is “extreme.” Read more after the jump.

Add Itchmo New To Your Site: Keep other pet owners informed with recalls and other pet news with our widget. The widget will update automatically with the latest headlines. Get it here.

Check out our non-recall news below. And as always, we’ll keep covering all pet news.

Also, if you have questions or need help, try our ItchmoForums. Get your questions answered by great pet owners.

[Source: Southwest Nebraska News via Offy]
Highlights on vets and food from Dolittler.com:

Hill’s and Waltham routinely paid for our parties, our canine blood-drives, our faculty awards, our own pets’ dietary needs, etc. etc… The list of all their contributions to US vet schools is taller than a tower of pet food cans stacked to the moon and back.

I, for one, am thankful of their contributions—and not just for my reduced indebtedness. It’s hard for us to imagine now (especially with the pet food recall still in full flourish) but pet nutrition was in the dark ages before these companies started legitimately researching pet nutrition. In fact, pets often died of nutritional diseases until Purina did its thing in the’50s and standardized pet food requirements with its Dog and Cat Chow brands.

I believe the era of pet food-sponsored vet school nutrition has come and gone. Yet too many institutions rely on food-sponsored grants and scholarships (like mine) to relieve them of the very real burdens of running worthwhile, bleeding-edge programs in animal health. Essentially, we’ve subsidized the sexier service arms of our profession (surgery, neurology, internal medicine, dermatology, etc.) by outsourcing the bland field of nutrition.

To make matters worse, the influence of this pet food industry oligopoly on real-life veterinary practice is extreme. Not only does the modern vet practice believe in the science behind the bags of food, it has come to rely on the income these foods provide. Read the next installment of this series for a continuation of this discussion.

124 Responses to “Recall Update: Weekend”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All

China admits child slavery in brickworks

Reuters June 15, 2007

“A thousand children may have been sold into slave labour in central China, enduring maiming and brutality in primitive brick kilns, state media says, amid an expanding scandal about official neglect.

“The owners ran the prison-like kilns with fierce dogs and thugs who beat the children at will, state television said.

“One accidentally killed a child with a shovel and buried the body at night, it said.

“An army of 35,000 police in central China had so far rescued 217 people, including 29 children, the official China Daily reported.

“But state television said many more may be trapped, making bricks for little or no pay in brutal conditions in Shanxi and Henan provinces.

“As many as 120 suspects had been detained.

‘”Now our conservative estimate is that at least 1,000 minors from Henan have been trapped and cheated into back-breaking work in these Shanxi brick kilns,” a reporter from Henan said on the current affairs program Oriental Horizon.

“The program showed workers who had been recently rescued - ragged, emaciated and mute and some bearing injuries.

“But even amid the high-profile rescue effort, criticism is rising of official indifference to the poor farming families.

“Local media reports and websites have cited what they say is a petition from fathers of boys kidnapped from Henan.

“They complained that Shanxi police were unwilling to help Henan authorities to find and rescue the children.

“”We are too weak and our children face constant threats to their life. We can only beg the government,” said a copy of the document.

“The China Youth Daily noted that local officials had apologised for failing to rescue the workers.

“”But we have even more reason to ask why was it only after the case was widely reported by the media and shocked the central leadership that the local government then thought to apologise to these poor rural workers,” it said.

“”What were they doing before?”

2. Phoebe says:

At least the media is acknowledging (sometimes) that thousands of pets have been poisoned:

“Wheat gluten tainted with the industrial chemical melamine has been blamed for killing or sickening thousands of dogs and cats in North America.”

The rest of the article is stomach-churning, too.

“The problems in Asia are not limited to China. Ice cream and sweets made with the same industrial dyes used for coloring garments have been found outside schools, and farmers have been caught dipping fruits in herbicide, to add shine, a day before going to market.

In India, pesticides often taint groundwater and produce. Coca-Cola and Pepsi have been dueling with a New Delhi environmental group, which alleged it found unacceptable levels of pesticides in soft drinks.”

Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Well, I’m so proud. Not. Can’t get more American than those two companies.

We have a lot to clean up here at home in this country, too.

3. Purina Puke says:

The more I learn about the people in China the sicker I feel…

4. JanC says:

I think it’s time I take on a new name: Pukanuba. Someone coined that phrase a while back & it just cracked me up. Between menusux & Purina Puke, I think that’ll fit in perfectly. We are soooooo bad……but I love it……

menusux: I just want to tell you that I completely lost what you were trying to say earlier. I followed all your links but still didn’t get it. Am I dense or what? You always find such good stuff so I’m sure this was also important but I got lost along the way…..duh…..

Website with a petition to boycott the 2008 Olympics:

The US boycotted the 1980 Russian Olympics over the invasion of Afghanistan, so it’s nothing that hasn’t been done before.

Why did everyone look the other way when granting them Most Favored Nation trading status, as we’d seen their disregard for human rights when they rolled the tanks over the protesters? We all knew slavery was practiced there, as we have laws against importing any goods made with slave labor.

6. Purina Puke says:

Okay so what do we know about China so far? They beat cats and dogs half to death for food because it makes them “taste” better. They spike food with false protein. They sell children for slave labor.

The ONLY reason our government is doing business with them is for profits! Holding the Olympics there is like spitting in our faces. I signed the petition menusux, and I hope a lot of other people do too. No way am I watching the Olympics next year if they hold it in China.

I can completely disgusted! Every time I think I’ve heard the worst of China, I’m proven wrong. Ugh!

JanC Says:

June 16th, 2007 at 10:41 pm

What I can’t post in case there are any legal rumbles is who some clients of a certain company appear to have been at the time the recalls started and which ones appear to remain. We know one left–they’re on record as such and there’s a link re: legal action. The others have not admitted their association with this company. When you see things like “provided by the same company that also supplied MF” and “from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine”, think wheat gluten–those who recalled for “rpc” don’t factor into this. One news story link deals with wheat gluten in a Pittsburgh-area warehouse. I wish I could post it flat-out here!

Just found this suit–it might help with one:

9. High Note says:

It is not only tainted food and slave labor that China does but they also grab the poor and take a kidney or whatever the need is at the time and sell them!
    I wonder what the guests will be eating at the olympics? I seen a special years ago on TV about China and their animal cruelity! They club cats over the head and throw them in boiling water to remove the skin and at times they are not dead but are boiled alive. They think nothing of this. They think of a cat or a dog as a piece of meat and nothing more. It is the most sickening thing and I cried out when I saw it on TV. It broke my heart because the sweet little cat was so beautiful. And we get imports from this barbaric country and it just makes me sick!!!

10. Garyn says:

And while all of these imports are allowed in this country uninspected, along with the deadly products comes the Asian beetle. I just found out that my 100 year old beautiful pine tree is infested with this bug which has no natural predators here in the US. It cannot be killed. It kills a tree in a few weeks. So serious is this problem, that the town is going to quarantine my tree, chop it down at my expense, burn the wood and inspect all surrounding trees.

The imports are supposed to be inspected at the border to make sure first and foremost that they will not kill us and our animals and also to make sure that it is not infested with this insect. Our government is a failure on so many levels that it is sickening.

So first they kill my cat and now they kill my tree. I guess I am next. And they are worried about our ants. What a joke. They are killing our entire country, literally.

And while I am ranting, have you noticed that nearly all pet products, toys, bowls, bedding etc is made in China. Are we not capable of making a small mouse toy. I wanted to buy my kitten a little cute bowl. Every single one was made in China of melamine no doubt. I am so disgusted.

11. Ann H says:

Does anyone know the founder and the background of Pet Defenders?
    Are they credible & have appropriate credentials to donate for supporting for political action?

12. Pukanuba says:

menusux:

Thanks for clarifying that. I think I know now what you were driving at……I wasn’t sure exactly where you were going with that. Also noticed the mention of who owns all those bags of tainted product in PA that “they hate to throw out because of the value”……I hope & pray that it doesn’t wind up in OUR food, not that we don’t have enough crap in our food already.

Also signed up to boycott Olympics. I don’t understand why we can’t stop ALL trade with China (or any country for that matter) until we can trust them to send us what they say it is, without the additional junk. If even a small portion of what we have or will consume has any of those toxins, we already have plenty in our bodies, along with our pets. Probably wouldn’t take much to throw pet or person into renal failure. That’s a very scary thought.

I hope this Olympics turns out to be a real dud.

Garyn,

So sorry to hear that you lost your Mabel. I believe they’re all in kitty heaven comparing notes on how to take revenge on the PF companies.

You’re right about all the imported stuff. The US manufacturing sector is in bad shape thanks to corrupt politicians and the lobbists who own them.

The free trade globalists have sold us down the river.

I don’t buy cat toys anymore ’cause they’re all imported. Instead bought a sewing machine (probably imported as well) and now I sew my own.

Also, make their beds, cat saks and purr pads. McCall’s has a cute pattern for a cat igloo.

Made a cat hammock, then bought some 1 inch PVC pipe and made a window level hammock frame.

My husband pruned a tree and we used a large “branchy” limb to make a 7 foot tall climbing post. The indoor cats love it.

Maybe you could use part of your 100 year old tree (what a cryin’ shame) to make something, or send a branch to the USDA!

Ann H Says: at 7:11 am

I don’t know who they are or what they are really up to. Who they work for.

It’s gotten that bad. Kind of like Oil Companies Pitching themselves as “Green” and Defenders of the Environment.

I think the President of Pet Defenders needs to put more information on that Web Site about who he is, his background, and what his goals are with this organization and how it is going to get it accomplished. There is no way I am investing in something without knowing what I am investing in.

16. Elaine says:

Before donating to ANY organization, remember what we have all learned with this FDA/PFI mess. It is ALL about the money!

Take environmental organizations, for instance. Save the forest, save the owl, save the snail darter etc issues. The name of the game is to create Controversy, Conflict, and Crisis. Using these 3 strategies they can get their issues before the public and in this way generate donations from folks who have no idea what it is really like in our vast, unpopulated areas. If they can keep the donations coming in, they can keep their cushy jobs!

Don’t think that I am not for taking care of our environment or animals and birds, etc. I just KNOW from many years of doing so myself on my own ground, what is a lie and what isn’t!

It is ALL ABOUT the MONEY. The CEO of the organizations make big money, The on-the-ground employees make a decent wage, and spend their working days strolling through the forests, observing nature. Many of us would love a job like that! If they have to lie to the public through newspaper articles, and put a farmer or logger out of business, it doesn’t bother them, they like what they do, and have folks thinking they are SAVING something, when they are only saving their jobs.

I only donate to local organizations that I can truly know about. Remember the financial mess with the Red Cross after 9/11? Not to say that your local Red Cross wouldn’t be a good place to donate.

I have heard a good way to decide what organizations to donate to is to look up what percentage of the donations actually go to the on-the-ground problem. If most of the donations go to administration costs, and CEO makes big bucks, they probably are more concerned with perpetuating their wages.

As frustrating as it is to know about those cats and dogs in China, there is probably not much we can do except what we are doing now, putting the word out, keeping our congressman’s feet to the fire, refusing to buy products from China.

Sorry about being on my soapbox, I will get down now. After reading the article about the cats yesterday, I wanted to curl up in a fetal position and cry my eyes out—

Well what I see at first glance having just visited Pet Defenders for the first time is they want money.

Call me to hard core but the fact remains the party ended on March 16 for me.

The only thing a person has to do is donate their own time and energy and sweat equity in their own way to make a difference. Take it one day at a time.

I am not going to donate to ANYTHING anymore unless an organization is willing to be completely transparent and open the books upon request.

If they don’t have anything to hide that shouldn’t even be a problem.

People who donate money have the RIGHT TO KNOW what management is doing with it.

Pukanuba,

Am going to try it again, calling them Company A, Company B and Company C to see if this makes it clearer-here goes:

We know that a certain company, Company A, had a certain PF manufacturer as a client and that the client not only dropped the company but filed suit.

Company A

We also know that Company A shipped wheat gluten to 3 PF companies:

“shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry….notified its other three wheat gluten customers about the FDA’s investigation. Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.”

“On Friday, March 30, the FDA announced they had found melamine in samples of the wheat gluten imported from Xuzhou Anying. The FDA did not inform Company of any other impurities in the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten, nor of any impurities in the wheat gluten from Company’s other two Chinese suppliers.”

I believe these are other clients of Company A:

Company B

This one had 2 recalls, one of the food produced for them by MF and one for non-MF produced food. Keep remembering that the melamine was found March 30–

“products that were produced by MF from December 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007″

Made by MF and recalled March 16.

“The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided by the same company that also supplied MF…The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of this company’s 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.”

Recalled March 30–date FDA issues findings re: melamine. Says this recall was for product produced at a facility of this company, not a contract manufacturer.

MF isn’t mentioned here but the others are.

Company C
    And now this one:

“The Company took this voluntary recall action immediately after learning this morning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. The adulteration occurred in a limited production quantity on select product codes of the brands below.”

This was dated March 31 and says this recall is for products produced at a facility of this company–not a contract supplier.

MF not mentioned here either–the others are listed here also.

So we have 3 PF manufacturers who received wheat gluten from Company A and its certain supplier. The one who dropped its supplier and is suing began its recalls March 16.

Let’s look back at the Pittsburgh-area warehouse story:

“The wheat gluten being held in an Allegheny County warehouse was destined for Pittsburgh-based Company, but that company never bought or received any of that shipment, Gardine said.

“Company previously recalled some dog food and cat and dog treats that had been made with some of the contaminated ingredients.”

And a news story about rented warehouses and customers:

“He rents space in five warehouses around the country and provides a variety of pet food ingredients to manufacturers and pet food ingredient distributors….MF is the ONLY customer lost, leaving 17 others.”

And if the news story is correct, they remain clients.

19. Elaine says:

Quite a few years ago I read a book about a major disease and the organization that purports to take in money for research to find a cure. They take in BIG BUCKS, the CEO and administration make BIG BUCKS.

Every now and then they put out a teaser on the news media that they have a new cure, but it is being tested, and the FDA won’t let it be used on the general public, even tho a person may be dying of the disease and desperate to try it.

Years go by, more people die of that particular area of the disease, and you never hear anything more about this new cure! Instead the same old, same old treatment is used on everybody.

Now, do you suppose that maybe big Pharma makes enough money on the same old treatment and then, do you suppose that the organization wouldn’t really be all that in a hurry to find a cure?

As we have seen in this mess, people and pets etc. don’t mean diddly-squat to powers that be.

Excellent Point from the comment section of that apologists cry me a river puff piece on Miller.

Jim wrote on May 19, 2007

This is what is wrong with America. A guy with a law degree and an MBA with no expertise in chemistry, biology or animal health can import ingredients from a 3rd world country that poisons the nation’s pet food supply, and pork and chicken industry. Three people in a warehouse in Vegas can do this because the only thing American companies care about is cheapness. These people depended on the certification from the seller in China? Their web site talks about their expertise in obtaining ingredients from China. From the results, I’d say they aren’t very good at this. They did no independent testing? What about all the consumers who thought they were buying top quality brands when the stuff is really made from industrial chemicals from China. I’ll bet none of the labels said that…

21. Elaine says:

menusux Says:

June 17th, 2007 at 10:41 am
    Pukanuba,

Thanx, menusux!

Pukanuba wasn’t the only one that didn’t get it, and it was quite an exercise this morning on ONE cuppa coffee.

Elaine,

Posted an answer but everything went to “page not found” when I tried doing that. Let’s see if it appears here in a while. If not, I’ll repost it.

23. Trudy Jackson says:

How do We boycott the Olympics? Is there really a way?

Elaine Says. . . So is there a way to find out the names of the other 17 companies ChemNutra supplies?

Yes, putting the nose to the grindstone and begin digging. Where there is a will there is a way. I don’t expect it to be easy. But not impossible.

One way to do it is to call Pet Food Brands. Ask if they use ingredients supplied by Chem Nutra. Anything other then a Yes or No is reason to suspect someones not being on the level.

The PF industry knows now not a single Pet Owner-Parent in the United States will EVER purchase a food with ingredients supplied by ChemNutra or The Millers.

26. e wem says:

Menusux, I was checking your links above and found the recall of “Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist Chicken Flavor Cat Treats”.

I had stopped giving it to my cats last year when it got new and improved. The cats wouldn’t touch it. The big guy held it in his mouth, let the jaw go slack so the Pounce fell out drool and all. I hope I can find that last can to see if it was on the recall. Sheesh

5catmom, everyone should read the NYT article you link to. Ten years ago when the FDA tried to trace ‘glycerin’ that killed people in Haiti, the factory in China was gone. Does that sound familiar?

Warning to toothpaste users. What good does it do to stop using toothpaste made in China, when ten years ago the FDA said we were buying a lot of our glycerin from China?

Garyn I stopped getting real fur cat toys from China when I found that many were made with Cat Fur.

I can never forget the photo of a cat like my dear tortie crushed in a cage too small to move in a market in China waiting to be the next one in the boiling pot with eyes so sad and hopeless. What life did she have before her execution? She probably was never allowed to leave that wire basket. Or the scenes from the Chinese cat fur factory you can see at all-creatures.org

Those people make me sick. No refrigeration and they want fresh food, so the animals are kept alive at market so they won’t spoil, and then killed in front of the other animals on order. God have mercy

Steve you are right about charities. I used to send checks monthly directly to a hospital to help a girl with a rare cancer get treatment. About six months after the newsletters about her progress stopped coming in the mail I called the hospital. They told me she had died a long time ago but they were putting the money to good use helping others. They couldn’t resist keeping her death a secret, I guess, because the money was so useful

27. Elaine says:

I saw an ad on tv last night about mouthwash. My first thought was, “Do you suppose IT is made in China, and, if so, would diethylene glycol be substituted for glycerin?” After all, we aren’t s’posed to swallow mouthwash either, so, according to the “experts” in China it is “SAFE”.

Like Steve said above “On March 16 the party ended for me.” Now I suspect EVERYTHING, and it takes me a long time in the grocery store. No more popping in and grabbing what I need! ALL labels need to be read!

28. IAMSickofcrapinpetfood says:

Elaine & MenuSux: We can start here with members of the PFI to see which ones have PF manufacturing plants.

29. IAMSickofcrapinpetfood says:

Here’s the PFI member list:

30. Trudy Jackson says:

I no longer shop at the Dollor Tree at all. Most all of there things are made in China. As well as the Dollor General, Etc. I saw an American Flag that siad on it- Made in China. that made Me crazy. I just got rid of My mouthwash, My body lotions, etc. that came from these places.

31. IAMSickofcrapinpetfood says:

Website:www.drsfostersmith.com

Eight In One Pet Products, Inc
    2100 Pacific Street
    Hauppauge, NY 11788
    Phone: (516)232-1200
    Website:www.eightinonepet.com

Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    P.O. Box 148

Website:www.propacpetfood.com

Natura Pet Products
    1101 S. Winchester Blvd., J-225
    San Jose, CA 95128
    Phone: (408) 261-0770
    Website:www.naturapet.com

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
    12924 Pierce Street

Website:www.omhpet.com

P&G Pet Care
    7250 Poe Avenue
    Dayton, OH 45414
    Phone: (937)264-7387
    Website:www.iams.com

Pro-Pet
    P.O. Box 369
    1400 McKinley Road
    St. Mary’s, OH 45885
    Phone: (419)394-3374
    Website:www.propet.com

Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
    P.O. Box 26234

Texas Farm Products Company
    915 South Fredonia Street
    Nacogdoches, TX 75961
    Phone: (936)564-3711
    Website:www.texasfarm.com

32. 3FURS says:

And speaking of products made in China, those little furry cats and dogs sold as ornaments, in gift stores—that’s NOT fake fur. Since I read that, I have to turn away when I see one. The brutality is so disgusting. And to learn that they raised Chow Chows as a human meat source. Sometimes I read so much that I get overwhelmed.

33. Elaine says:

Thanx for the list of PFI members. I will call and email some and see if they give and ANSWER, or a NON-ANSWER! I am sick of non-answers and quick replies that make you KNOW they aren’t being truthful.

34. Elaine says:

E wem,

Your story about donating money to a hospital for a little girl with cancer truly illustrates the problems with charities. We all know someone within our circle of friends and acquaintances that could use a helping hand, and our donations would be better spent at home.

35. Elaine says:

A question from a stupid old person about bookmarking a page to view later: Is there another way besides saving it in Favorites?

I am sure there must be a way to save it and organize it by subject, but I don’t have a clue how. Help me, someone? and keep it simple, one step at a time, I am used to reading directions in a book and referring back to it.

Thanks!

e wem,

Just saw your post from last night. I hope your tortie hasn’t been affected by this terrible poison food ordeal.

Hope she gets better soon.

37. IAMSickofcrapinpetfood says:

Just a reminder about the newly formed NATIONAL PET FOOD COMMISSION:

It was formed by the Pet Food Institute (PFI), the group that represents 22 pet food companies and/or manufacturing plants.

38. Pukanuba says:

menusux:

I was taking notes & making up little flow charts trying to get to the bottom of this. I THINK I know what you’re trying to say. Thanks for being so patient with me. I’ll check that post once it hits & see if I’m on the right track. You do manage to come up with some great research.

Trudy:

You’ll find a post from menusux earlier with a link to a website to sign up to boycott the Olympics. If you can’t find it, I’ll repost. I think everyone should sign up.

I can’t go to the links about animal abuse. Can’t deal with that. Just knowing it’s going on is enough to make me sick.

We also need to discover who the distributor is:

“shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and ONE DISTRIBUTOR who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry….notified its other three wheat gluten customers about the FDA’s investigation. Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.”

The company who’s suing Company A didn’t need to be notified as they’d already begun the recall:

“In response to a news release – issued during the evening of April 3, 2007 - MF today voluntarily expanded its pet food recall for selected “cuts and gravy” pet food products, manufactured back to November 8, 2006…As a result, MF today announced an expansion of its recall to include all products manufactured with wheat gluten purchased from Company A which MF’s records show was first used on November 8, 2006 and last used on March 6, 2007.

“As a result of actions previously taken by MF, the vast majority of the products affected by this expansion are already off retailers’ shelves. No new brands have been added.”

The release at the link was dated April 3, but keep that March 30 date in your head:

“during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for that product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to MF.”

The release at the link above was dated March 31. And it fits with this from the April 3 link above:

“Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.”

Keeping the April 3 recall announcement above in mind, this one is dated April 5:

“The company is taking this voluntary action of recalling the dog biscuits listed below after learning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine.”

These appear to stem from the distributor referred to in the April 3 recall link, as we’ve accounted for the 3 PF companies.

40. Trudy Jackson says:

Menusux, I found it and signed it. I also sent it to everyone I know,

Pukanuba Says:

June 17th, 2007 at 1:26 pm
    menusux:

It appears to be like this, on the basis of the links at this post above:

Company A had 3 direct PF company clients–one has admitted to cancelling and is suing Company A–that leaves us Company B and Company C who appear to have been the other two. If the news story link re: the rented warehouses is correct, the only one who left would be the company who is suing Company A.

Wish we didn’t have to put it in this way!!!

42. Pukanuba says:

menusux:

Gotcha that time. I was really confused…..I somehow got the idea that all those warehouses belonged to Co. A, not the one suing. I also believe I read who has the warehouse in PA that has a bunch of tainted gluten (well, flour really) that it’s trying to find a use for…..let’s pray it doesn’t wind up back in ANY food. It’s pretty confusing trying to follow these guys……I think they try their best not to leave a trail.

I’m also confused about Sunshine Mills that recalled Ol Roy biscuits. Somehow I thought that was another PF company that also made a big name dog biscuit. I threw out all my dog’s biscuits & treats after that recall. I believe that was Co. C. Now we get to talk in code & really confuse everyone……

43. thomas says:

Where did the company in Ohio that is canadian owned get its melamine that it added to its product and then sold to uniscope ?

44. IAMSickofcrapinpetfood says:

Someone above mentioned just looking for wheat GLUTEN that was supplied to PF manufacturers. Why not look for the rice protein concentrate used as well, since the wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate both turned out to be wheat flour? Am I missing something?

One chain at a time–the “rpc” chain seemed to be more straightforward–from W-E to CB (supplier in some cases) and in others directly to the companies who made the food.

Thomas,

There’s no law against melamine for other uses. The company appears to have the greatest portion of it’s business in the timber & paper industries:

It can also be used as a coating for paper:

“Paper Overlay: 4 and 5 foot width capability

“Melamine, top coated Solid, Decorative, and woodgrain prints
    Range: 45, 60, 80 gram weight”

Sorry if we all ready caught this.

Thu Jun 14, 2:21 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Colgate-Palmolive Co. (NYSE:CL - news) on Thursday warned counterfeit “Colgate” toothpaste that may contain a toxic chemical had been found in discount stores in four U.S. states.

47. YaYa says:

Thearticles I’ve read about Tembec give one description of the melamine they used: it was “pure” melamine. {I’m believing this to mean, it was not “scrap melamine”}

I don’t know if Canada bans melamine for industrial uses or not. being a Canada based corp.} I also thought WE banned melamine for ‘everything’ here in the USA, maybe not, learning this.

It sure does not sound like it was out there for “Agricuture use” for food/feed binders. But somehow the Tembec corp. slipped it in anyway; reminds me of the Chinese guys saying it was not meant for food use either when they shiped theirs here.

Who’s teachin’ who?

Also on those sites we’ve been watching and checking on for the Grain products {like the Anying/Biatan etc gangs} Most of them who post {let’s say Glutens} products for sale ALSO sell Other grain products like meals and such.
    In many Varieties, soy, wheat, rice, greenpea, corn, etc.
    When we’ve looked for Glutens, we’ve found a mirad of other grain junk too. Meals, flours, glutens, husk, hulls etc.

Can anyone find a USA or Canadian company selling Melamine for INDUSTRIAL use on line any where?
    Nitrogen type products.
    They could be shipping it in from Canada since they are Canada based maybe?

I don’t know if this might help or not but the Chemical ‘recipe’ {you know hydrogen, nitrogen, etc} for Melaine is: C3H6N6
    It’s supposed register chemical # is: CAS 108-78-1

Hope this helps the hunt.

48. Jay says:

In looking over the PFI list (for which thanks), I couldn’t help wondering which of these companies operate their own rendering plants. It seemed like the Texas company was also involved in that industry. To produce pet food at a higher quality than before, the rendering of dead, wounded and diseased animals for pet food (along with various inanimate parts like collars, etc.) should not be a part of the chain.

Just another question for them: do you use rendered contents and how do you know what is in it when you buy it and mix it into your product?

How about this?

“This is why we are the first choice supplier to leading melamine processors the world over.

“is also used in coatings, molding powders, flame-retardants, paper and textile, and concrete plasticizers. Its unique physical qualities – such as strength, color retention, sound absorption, smoothness, moisture resistance, transparency and flow – enhance the performance or appearance of your product.

They’re in LA.

50. mittens says:

melamine is extensively used in fertilizers. it boosts the nitrogen content of the soil. urea is also used for the same purpose but is cheaper than melamine. with all the talk about being a ‘ protein boost’ and thus tossed into food it’s most common food associated use is actually fertilizers.

those laminated table tops so common in partical board ikea like furniture is often melamine.

when i was thinking of this last night and reviewing agribusiness crap-( ugh the science. i was never good a chemistry but apparently neither are the ‘ scientists’ at the FDA.)i thought what if it was bags labelled ‘ melamine’ meant for protein boost but it was was actually bags of melamine based fertilizer with pesticides added like they do for GMO crops? that would explain the other substances found-all pesticides. clearly they’ve been pullling the mela-tein schtick for sometime- and it may have been causeing long term problems for pets. but the sudden deaths of young healthy animals indicates poison. bags of pesticide laced fertilizer would be a poison. and as we’ve seen the production atmosphere in china lends itself to widespread abuses- wouldn’t mislabelling be common?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 » Show All